[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cosplay work spaces
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 14
File: Sewing-Room-Tour-3.jpg (66 KB, 680x453) Image search: [Google]
Sewing-Room-Tour-3.jpg
66 KB, 680x453
Gulls, do you have a dedicated room or space where you prefer to work on your cosplay? Or plans to create one?

I'm moving and getting a bigger room (11' x 15') and wanted to section a corner into a cute cosplay workshop area. I never really had space for one before, and I'm sick of having to make room for my sewing machine whenever I want to make something. Any ideas on how to make a cute and effective space?
>>
File: tumblr_o3a573CRVH1r35os0o4_1280.jpg (147 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3a573CRVH1r35os0o4_1280.jpg
147 KB, 1000x667
>>8991015

put stuff up on the walls so it's not taking up table space. my favorite thing in my workspace are these ikea bathroom hooks I painted white and use for scissors. always a pair within reach but keeps them from getting buried in fabric / knocked on the floor / lost
>>
File: SewCanDoSewingNook_zpsd39123e2.jpg (169 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
SewCanDoSewingNook_zpsd39123e2.jpg
169 KB, 667x1000
>>8991015
I'm working on setting one up, I've got a tiny alcove off of my room between my room and the stairs where I'm going to put my great grandmothers sewing desk I recently inherited. I'm going to have more space when I move out but till then I'm happy to have just any place to put my crafts.

Any one got inspo on tiny sewing spaces btw? Trying to figure out how best to organize mine and save on room.
>>
File: 1422830989023.jpg (375 KB, 1024x684) Image search: [Google]
1422830989023.jpg
375 KB, 1024x684
I keep all my stuff in a closet, and my sewing machine on an old sewing machine (the kind that "tuck" into table) with a chair in an open space, I use the old sewing machine's table's drawers to keep chalks, pins, measuring tapes, ect. The hard thing I find is finding somewhere to spread out fabric.

Some cute boxes from the dollar store hold bias tapes/zippers/ect ect that I keep on the top shelf, thread hanging on the inside door, hangers hold current projects. I have a closet organizer thing (the hanging ones) that I use the shelves to store fabrics and such for current projects, and keep patterns in the "drawer" part. Floor has two of those cheap walmart drawers with the 3 sections that I keep fabric scraps in, and there's a small open space left that I put rolls of vinyl and interfacing. I keep a small cup with my scissors in it next to my sewing machine as well. Floor length mirror moves around but I usually put it in front of the closet door if I have everything out I need, and dress form usually stands next to the sewing machine.

Pic isn't my space, but still cute.
>>
My ex-gf and I had a dedicated room, it was pretty nice.

I just do a temporary setup on my dining room table now though, which is a lot less nice.
>>
File: 1416036904516.jpg (36 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1416036904516.jpg
36 KB, 400x300
>>8991097
As for the room I keep prop supplies, I have a small sunroom connected to the room I sew in. Vanity holds wig/makeup stuff, bookcase for wigs. There's two dressers, one which holds miscellaneous stuff that I bought for one cosplay or only use once in a while, and an entire drawer full of tape. Second dresser is all foam stuff, glues, and spray paints. There's a small toolbox on the floor with my bondo and worbla stuff, and then a toybox that holds all the big chunks of eva/styrofam. Shoes have a shoerack and all the finished props and cosplays are in my closet because I use a wardrobe for my own clothes, and I keep all smaller accessories like jewelry, headpieces, gloves, ect in baggies that I store in (more) cute dollar store boxes. Work is usually done in the sewing room or in a workshop, though, so it's more of just a storage space then a work space.

Basically: hide all your crap in boxes and dressers to make everything look cuter and more organized than it really is, lol. I'd love to have room to hang my stuff open on the walls but because the sun room is mostly windows and the rest of the wall space is used to hang smaller props like bows, there's not much space.
>>
>>8991121
It's hard to have a cute setup like this as a cosplayer, anyway. We accumulate so many fabrics, trims, and other crap that there's no way to make it look good without stashing it away. It's especially bad because most of these cute setups are quilters' rooms, and their fabrics are nice and thin and stack up neatly, while we're dealing with giant lumps of velvet and wool and whatever else.
>>
>>8991263
I've been trying to make my crafting space look nice since I moved and now have to sew in the common area, but it's not possible. Not only do cosplayers have weird fabrics, but armor materials too. I ended getting a wardrobe to try and hide everything but now it's such a pain to reach anything!
>oh I need this really specific item!
>opens materials closet
>item is on the very bottom and the only way of retrieval is to take everything out.
I can't do this.
>>
>>8991055
Ohhh, I really like that idea for the hooks! Definitely something I'll incorporate into my future room.

>>8991121
I tend to hoard scraps and all sorts of accessories I probably will never use, so I will probably have to utilize a lot of hiding space like that... My problem is if I hide things away, I tend to forget about them though.
>>
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49133616/#/S69123051

Saw this IKEA work station and thought it would be really nice for a cosplay space. The table folds up too.
>>
I live with a roommate and there's really no storage in our common space, so I've generally been storing everything in under-bed bins/bags and in 2 sets of drawers in my closet. I'm moving into a 1 bedroom though, so I'm gonna try to come up with a cute crafting area in my living room so it's not just stuff jammed under my bed or hidden out of sight.
>>
File: 1381501702-63696800.jpg (154 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1381501702-63696800.jpg
154 KB, 1000x1000
>>8991369
Lots of shelves and drawers, anon. Don't stack big boxes on each other or you're going to end up with this problem all the time. You can still keep the big boxes for fabric and armor as long as your wardrobe keeps them separated with shelves so you never have more than 1 or 2 stacked at a time. But for things that break down into smaller spaces like elastic, hardware, paint, etc, try investing in smaller, stackable drawers to keep everything separated and labeled.
>>
File: 16-05-08-19-00-48-538_deco.jpg (3 MB, 2304x2304) Image search: [Google]
16-05-08-19-00-48-538_deco.jpg
3 MB, 2304x2304
>>8992987
The square shelves are great for sewing/crafting space. I don't have the folding table, though I considered getting it.

This is my craft room. The cutting table and ironing board are out of view.
>>
Dumping a few craft spaces I like.
>>
>>9000131
Cool wig storage idea
>>
>>9000133
>>
>>9000135
>>
File: dsc_0524.jpg (148 KB, 645x427) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0524.jpg
148 KB, 645x427
>>9000136
>>
File: tumblr_o3a573CRVH1r35os0o2_1280.jpg (238 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3a573CRVH1r35os0o2_1280.jpg
238 KB, 1000x667
>>9000148
>>
Just about to move into a new apartment, so hopefully I can set up a new space that actually functions. My space right now is so non-functional it's kind of laughable actually. Sewing machine is in one place, sizable workspace is another, dress form is in a third place, iron in yet another, materials are overflowing, my patterns are a terrifying mess. I'll have to look through this thread a bit better when I'm setting the new space up.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.