[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
kimono thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 220
Thread images: 69
Can we have a kimono thread? Seems like there hasn't been many around here lately.

Also, is anybody a member of IG on facebook? Usually the kimono community has very little drama, but there has been a lot lately. What do you think about it?
>>
I'll dump some stuff. Been really into hakama lately.
>>
>>
>>
If you're interested in getting into kimono but you don't know where to start I don't mind answering some questions.

Immortal Geisha on facebook is a nice group and good resource full of experts, but it is temporarily shut down because someone got offended over something and people got offended over them being offended, etc it's retarded.
>>
I really like this lace kimono, but it costs a fortune.
>>
>>8987061
I'm part of the community. I think it's just blown out of proportion. But that's just me.
>>
>>8987131
I agree, no reason for anybody on either side to really be upset.
>>
Not to bring up a discussion of social justice, but there was this one (hafuu, I think? anyways she was Japanese American) girl who was upset with me over tumblr for wearing kimono, and it makes me wonder if she's the one who messaged the mods getting offended. She was also paranoid that the reason nobody liked her posts was because she's Japanese so they're being racist by intentionally ignoring her. The mods also said another Japanese person left the group because they were "uncomfortable" but they didn't say why.
>>
>>
>>
>>8987141
I just lurk, and all this time I thought the drama was because "flagile."
>>
>>8987131
agreed, I think it's retarded. I'd propose a majority vote on whether to ban the word or not
then again I also think the people who got so butthurt about it being banned are retarded but

>>8987171
it is
>>
>>8987171

Yeah it mostly is about the word - the other "drama" I'm talking about it just stuff that happened on tumblr.
>>
>>
Does anyone have any info graphics on how to fold a kimono for storage?
>>
>>8987223
Just google "how to fold kimono" and you'll find a bunch of infographics.
>>
File: foldjuban.jpg (80 KB, 511x466) Image search: [Google]
foldjuban.jpg
80 KB, 511x466
>>8987223
I have this one, but I feel like it doesn't fold with the creases.
>>
File: Kimonofold.jpg (264 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Kimonofold.jpg
264 KB, 1024x768
>>8987227
I've seen the ones on google, but one time I bought a kimono in Japan, and the lady there folded it so nicely, and really packed small. Plus when I unfolded it, it didn't leave any wrinkles or creases. I was looking if there are other ways.
>>
>>
File: 1460995038472.jpg (87 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
1460995038472.jpg
87 KB, 375x500
>>
>>
Now for some modern.
>>
File: Cg7-PwKU4AA8Zjr.jpg (54 KB, 600x891) Image search: [Google]
Cg7-PwKU4AA8Zjr.jpg
54 KB, 600x891
>>8987261
>>
File: CgP_YZRUMAEsQ82.jpg (53 KB, 600x891) Image search: [Google]
CgP_YZRUMAEsQ82.jpg
53 KB, 600x891
>>8987270
>>
>>8987076
Sure, I'll take advantage.

I really love the combo of hakama and boots like in >>8987215 and I understand that this is something often worn for graduation. Is a hakama always worn with a furisode like in the quoted photo, or can you do something a bit more casual? And also, is there an age cutoff where it's considered appropriate?

Likewise, if I'm 26 and married, would you say it's better to stick to more muted designs or is this something that doesn't really matter in modern times as much?
>>
>>8987280
>>
>>8987282
I'm not OP, but from what I've seen on the IG Facebook, I feel like age restrictions on kimono types have loosened. I see older people wearing furisode there for casual outings. At the same time, I see unmarried women wearing married women kimonos as well. I think it's up to your own personal judgement. I also see people wearing crested black kimonos, something that is very formal, to art galleries or kimono meet ups. I'll see if I can find photos.
>>
>>8987261
>>8987280
I need these 2 in my life so very very very badly
>>
File: image.jpg (312 KB, 990x873) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
312 KB, 990x873
>>
>>8987282
Yeah, it's usually worn for university graduation. Because it's a formal occasion, it's almost worn with furisode like ko-furisode (short length furi) chu-furisode (mid length) or hon-furisode (full length) basically the longer the sleeves usually correlates with how expensive and formal it is. Nowadays, it's really only worn for graduation but if you're not in Japan I don't see the harm in wearing it to a kimono meetup, a con, etc. you can still pair it with regular length kimono, it would just make the coord more casual.

Your age honestly doesn't matter unless you're in Japan. If you want to wear it than go for it, it doesn't have to be flashy, you can make a more muted design or something.

Whether or not you stick to rules about designs depends on what you feel about it personally - at your age I would go for something in the middle - not drab and dark like older women wear, but not super duper flashy like young girls wear, kind of a middle ground. It also matters less in modern times, as people have less kimono and it's not as easy to stick to rules about age/pattern/seasonality/etc.

For the record, there is an older woman on IG who wears very flashy bright patterns and she looks lovely. It's up to you and what you like personally.
>>
>>8987229
This is how I fold mine. It's the best for avoiding creases if you're doing long term storage. The way yours was folded then might not have creased much simply because you didn't leave it folded that way for very long.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 666x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 666x1000
>>
File: FB_IMG_1462135871144.jpg (430 KB, 1152x2048) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1462135871144.jpg
430 KB, 1152x2048
>>8987285
I don't want to post too many people without permission, but this is a lovely example of someone wearing a furisode to a casual event. This one, she is at a Japanese cherry blossoms festival in her home town. She is a westerner, and this is not in Japan.
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 434x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 434x600
>>
File: FB_IMG_1462135662396.jpg (63 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1462135662396.jpg
63 KB, 720x960
>>8987306
Theres also this one of a hakama and a kimono that isn't a furisode together.
>>
File: tumblr_m09enuFxON1qlqoako1_500.jpg (126 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m09enuFxON1qlqoako1_500.jpg
126 KB, 480x640
>>8987310
Back to regular scheduled photos.
>>
Can I use this thread to vent about something I saw a few weeks ago?
>>
File: tumblr_mnwf81oeQw1sr6fjpo1_500.jpg (145 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mnwf81oeQw1sr6fjpo1_500.jpg
145 KB, 480x640
>>8987311
>>
>>8987309
not sure if you're trolling or not, but this is not kimono.
>>
>>8987314

>>8987313
I mean, I guess..? Generally we try to stay away from sjw stuff because we're all pretty fed up of the issue.
>>
>>8987313
OP here, yes I don't mind as long as it's kimono related.
>>
>>8987205

My problem is that it wasn't really put to the group. Sounds like a few people got pissed and contact a mod, or the mod herself got pissed. It's not like the packaging says "fragile" and we're doing an r/l switch to be racist. The postal company can't be arsed to figure out what's proper English. I always kind of found it endearing. People who post about getting "flagile" are just excited to share their things, it doesn't have any inherently racist tones.
>>
>>8987229
This is how I was taught to fold mine when I lived in Japan
>>
>>8987285
>>8987297
Thanks anons! Now I have something to base future shopping on.

>>8987310 is absolutely beautiful btw and very much something I'd enjoy wearing so thanks for posting that too!
>>
>>8987340
>>8987298
Thanks! I guess this way is best for long term, and the way it was folded originally was for space convenience short term.
>>
>>8987296
>I'm certain this means I can prance about posing in front of other paintings in a powdered wig and froufrou Victorian attire

well why the fuck not? What's stopping you?
>>
>>8987297

I'm another fan of the hakama and kimono look. I gained a love for hakama while studying Iaido. One of the traditional kimono rules Ive noticed seems to equate being older and married together. What about if you're in your early 30s but still unmarried? Would you go for something in between the flashy furiosode and the shorter sleeved, plainer designs? This is on both formal and more casual fronts. While I get that Western rules tend to be a bit more relaxed, especially nowadays, but I still like to be respectful about it. I've not done Iaido for a few years but that level of respect's still there.
>>
>>8987285
>>8987297

Not that anon, but thanks for explaining regarding the hakama! I was wondering myself if it was appropriate for me (24 years old, completely graduated, but still not married) to wear a hakama.

I've got a few basic, almost 'google it yourself' questions but I wanted to hear your guys opinion. Any place to get comfortable geta I can walk around in all day? And where are some good places to start building a basic kimono outfit? I'm completely a newbie to this, so feel free to vent your exasperation to me for asking questions which have been asked 900 times before.
>>
>>8987450
I'm not really an expert, so I can't say for sure, but I would say still go with less flashy and more subtle designs. Doesn't mean it can't be fun or pretty, but if you want to follow rules then I would stick to toned down things.
>>
>>8987454

>comfortable geta
Since all geta are made of wood, they're mostly all the same and not too comfortable. I mean they're not awful either just not that great. Maybe you could look for zori instead - they are more formal than geta and must be worn with actual kimono (unless you feel like breaking the rules, but imo wearing geta with kimono is a bit of a newbie mistake) I have a pair of plastic zori I got from rakuten for $15 and they are comfy and a little bit cushy on top. Sorry, I can't remember which store.

>basic kimono outfit
If you want affordable things... like $20 for a whole kimono, I would suggest Sou Japan (netpq) They have vintage kimono that range from cheap to ultra expensive, but they still have a good range of cheap ones. They have like, 10 really good sales each year, and free shipping. Other good places are Ichiroya for vintage but it's a bit pricier. Also rakuten for new kimono but be prepared to spend much more on a new one.

If you're just starting out, I would recommend yukata first. Much easier. You can get a set with yukata, geta, and an obi which is literally all you need except for two soft ties (himo) for around $50-$130 at Soubien on Rakuten. They have so many beautiful yukata designs that are really classy and not typical at all.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask, I think answering them is fun anyways. Good luck!
>>
>>8987296
>getting mad on the behalf of Japanese people that for the most part think it's super cool Westerners are interested in traditional culture
Top kek
>>
>>8987456
Thanks! Would something like the longer sleeved version of a kurotomesode - kurofurisode? - be age / marital status appropriate for me then? I love black kimono in particular, appeals to the goth in me. I adore the longer sleeves of furisodde while preferring style wise the colour and pattern schemes of more mature kimono. Picture is of the sort of style I'm talking about, I'm not sure if there's a specific name for them. If going for a more formal look, I'd love to go for this sort of kimono with hakama.
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 151x213) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 151x213
>>8987521
Derp derp pic didn't attatch.
>>
>>8987521
You said you're in your early 30's right? I don't see anything wrong with wearing more mature, subdued furi. And old fashioned Japanese grandma might think it's inappropriate, but most people nowadays wouldn't care.
>>
So glad one of these popped up!

I recently got a yukata for the first time and I'm getting an obi and the ties and geta in a few months when hopefully prices have gone down a bit since yukata season will be close to being over. However, I wanted to wear it to a convention as part of a themed outfit and the convention is in late September.

Is that a big no-no or will no one really care because it's a convention and it's just a yukata so I'm guessing relatively low on the scale of important traditional garments.

And another question I just thought of, would it be better to get an obi that matches the theme (mine is rose and lace print) or get something in a contrasting color to make it pop?
>>
>>8987528
Thanks, and yup, I am. I was partially asking because I'm unsure whether in the etiquette rules age trumps marital status or vice versa in what's appropriate to wear.
Where abouts are good places to get ladies hakama that aren't for sport? I have my Iaido ones but they're clearly unisex sports ones.
>>
>>8987556

Rakuten store Kyoetsu Oroshiya is good for afforable hakama.
>>
>>8987538

Yeah, it would be weird if you wore a yukata in Japan in the fall but I don't see an issue with wearing one to a convention as that's a special event, so I don't think seasonality and rules matter as much. Because yukata is so casual it's a pretty good fit.

Definitely get something with a contrasting colour or significantly darker or lighter colour (ex. light blue yukata with dark blue obi would be fine), that's the traditional way of doing things. Matching or similar colour obi are non-traditional, although you do see them sometimes nowadays, like Double Maison kimono (pic related)
>>
File: suggestions.jpg (246 KB, 1130x664) Image search: [Google]
suggestions.jpg
246 KB, 1130x664
>>8987565
Thanks, anon! I knew it would probably be odd in a traditional sense but I figured since you see cosplay yukata like for Vocaloid at conventions year round that it might not matter?

Here's a picture of the pattern on my yukata and some color choices I found and the last one (bottom row, right side) is the one I'm really eyeing just because the pattern is so cute but I don't really know what to do about patterns since the yukata has one already.
>>
>>8987601
does the yukata have more dark or light colors in the print? if i were you i'd go with either one on the right. the contrast of bright color on black with pastel florals on the yukata will look great.
>>
>>8987601
No offence but I wouldn't buy a pre-tied obi, it just looks cheap. Buy a hanhaba obi and learn to tie chou chou musubi youself, it's easy and looks better than tsuki obi.
>>
>>8987635
It definitely has more light colors. Most of the flowers are lighter and it's got the lace design all over it as well.

>>8987638
I only planned to wear it at conventions as an ita-themed outfit like >>8980294 and I sort of liked how the pre-tied ones looked and how simple they are to put on. If I were going for something authentic and trying to really look good for a proper event/outing then I'd definitely learn to tie myself though.
>>
File: 1462202057841.jpg (138 KB, 1477x1108) Image search: [Google]
1462202057841.jpg
138 KB, 1477x1108
Thoughts on using this wool for having a men's kimono made? I'm thinking of adding some touches from more western tailoring like a small ticket pocket on the underside of the eri, a quarter lining, and internal seam edges piped in the lining fabric. What kind of lining would be better for this project, a silk (and if so, which?) or an airy cotton herringbone?
>>
>>8988609
Might look a bit like a bathrobe
>>
File: kirakukai_wgtm-prmn-o-hte002z.jpg (134 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
kirakukai_wgtm-prmn-o-hte002z.jpg
134 KB, 600x600
>>8988649
You could be right. It IS a flannel, and most of the checked kimono I've seen have either been multi-check, gingham, checkerboard, or plaid. Still, I think it might be able to work with the right accessories.
>>
So glad OP started this thread. Kimonos are underappreciated. I've wanted to wear mine out more, but I hate getting all the rude stares and covert photo taking by basics.
>>
What other kimono groups are there on FB that have a goodly amount of traffic other than IG? Just wondering. I was on the original IG forums and then transplanted over to FB, so I've never really looked outside that community.
>>
>>8987296
shut the fuck up dominique
>>
>>8987296
>how dare this white woman in a historical japanese-inspired dress cosplay a painting of a woman in a historical japanese-inspired dress
>>
>>8989337
Cultural appropriation inception.
>>
File: gomenasai.jpg (53 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
gomenasai.jpg
53 KB, 600x800
>>
>>8990710
Gomenasai, Ken-sama
>>
So, I'm new to kimono and I need to find one for my boyfriend that will fit him. He's larger, so if there are suppliers that offer larger western sizes that would be ideal.
Any style/color and no it doesn't need to be 100% pure Japanese baby leather.
I'm also going to post in the WTB so if anyone has one they'd like to sell, please get in touch with me there.
>>
Total n00b question here, but is it okay to wear hakama with yukata? I'm totally digging the hakama look but all I have right now is a yukata and I'm not sure if I'll be able to save up for a kimono before the event I want to wear it to.
>>
>>8992939
no, it's not.
>>
>>8987306

I'm not a kimonofag so I dont know nothing about nothing, but I think her body looks really beautiful in this. She could work on her makeup styling but she looks really pretty !

>came to lurk this thread out of interest
>>
File: 20150312024801299_500.jpg (124 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
20150312024801299_500.jpg
124 KB, 500x667
Anyone know what the specific pattern on this purple/white kimono is called?
>>
>>8993083
Try 赤矢羽根
>>
>>8993146
Thanks anon!
>>
>>8987061
>What do you think about it?
As soon as I saw the announcement I knew a shitstorm was gonna happen and I was right. Personally I don't think any harm was meant by the word and I would have preferred that they put it up for a vote. I find it a bit hypocritical that they don't allow discussions about cultural appropriation while are quick to ban the word "flagile", which is how the word is spelled on the sticker(I mean it's not like they are doing it on purpose). I also find it hilarious that they are quick to mod this, yet have ignored people who have been bullied out of the group for one reason or another(like that lady who got into an argument with Naomi and got booted - but IG has always been like that, even since the forum days)
>>
File: tumblr_o57pyz2HEq1vn5sr7o1_500.jpg (51 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o57pyz2HEq1vn5sr7o1_500.jpg
51 KB, 500x281
>>8987061
Recently on Rupauls Drag Race we had Kimonogate (madonna themed runway 4 out of 7 girls wore kimonos >_>)
>>
>>8993083
the arrow pattern is called 矢羽 or yabane.
>>
Can anyone help me find some quality sites or brands for accessories? I don't know what's considered "cheap" for kimonos and what would be higher end. I just want to avoid some type of Bodyline place for kimonos and just go straight to the AP stuff, if that makes sense.
>>
>>8990540
you misspelled appreciation
>>8987296
>how dare life imitate art.
Pretty sure they would rather export their culture than import ours.
>>
>>8987296
Funniest thing was 2ch was right when they said the protesters at the museum weren't even Japanese. They thought it was some sort of conspiracy to destroy Japanese culture by Korean and China, but in reality it was a bunch of Korean/Chinese-American SJWs who were pretending to be Japanese so they could claim oppression points by, funnily, culturally appropriating it to suit their own needs.

They had that same painting and kimono event (which came with a blonde wig) at a Japanese museum for ages. So when the little old Japanese ladies went down to tell the protesters to fuck off, they were really confused about why the protesters were even there and why they weren't even Japanese.
>>
Would UtS be a good place to buy my first kimono? Mamechiyo will be there but looking at their website they seem more expensive than normal
>>
>>8993396
Mamechiyo is kind of like a designer brand of kimono. They sell all new, and very modern designs. They are very unique, and generally have a good second hand market on IG. If you feel like spending money, they have some wonderful stuff. You don't have to buy a full set, but they have cute Haneri and obi.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1462460332395.jpg (85 KB, 1203x1203) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1462460332395.jpg
85 KB, 1203x1203
>>8993363
Theres a Facebook group called international kimono auction. It has a lot of members, and stuff goes for cheap. There are members who post their own handmade accessories, or links to their etsy where they sell their Japanese imports..
I suggest joining the group.

An example etsy: JapaneseSilkFlowers

This store is expensive because these accessories are what geisha wear.

Pic related is a photo of an accessory that a girl in the international kimono auction page made. She's selling this one for ~25$.
>>
Best way to make a tsumami kanzashi that looks like wisteria?
>>
File: kimono cosplay 2.png (2 MB, 2500x2000) Image search: [Google]
kimono cosplay 2.png
2 MB, 2500x2000
I'm doing a cosplay of a character in wedding kimono. Image is what I put together to see how everything looks.

I'm having trouble finding a few things. Namely, all white zori that are fairly cheap (can't seem to find any under $70) and a white bridal accessories set. I found one for $140 but it's a little pricey for just accessories, I've been on the lookout for used or vintage ones but I can't find any. I need bridal obi-jime, hakoseko, kaiken case and a few other things I don't know the names of.

Also, kanzashi. Was thinking of buying some from a facebook friend who makes them but it would be about $100 for a large tsumami kanzashi with shidare. Not sure if I should splurge or not.
>>
>>8994239
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/hakimonoya/item/1331690/ These all-silver ones are ¥2400, if you can sacrifice not being 100% shiromuku. They'd suit the embroidery on that uchikake.
>>
>>8994507

Thank you. I can't find white ones so I think I'll settle for those.
>>
>>8994507

Nevermind, they don't seem to ship overseas.

At least I found a nice hair ornament on aliexpress for cheap. Going to combine this with fake flower hair clips I already have, instead of dropping $100+ on kanzashi.
>>
>>8994551
Just use a shopping service, anon.
>>
File: CggJ9BWUkAAchVF.jpg (263 KB, 1024x592) Image search: [Google]
CggJ9BWUkAAchVF.jpg
263 KB, 1024x592
I'm working on a my 4th kimono now.
I got inspired by that Wafrica fashion show.
>>
>>8994552

It's not worth it to pay the extra fees and extra shipping for something that I'm trying to save money on. Besides, I just found the perfect pair (pure white) on ebay for $10.
>>
>>8994551
Where does it say they won't ship? From my experience any seller who lists on Rakuten global is willing to ship overseas.
>>
Don't know if this is the right thread, but I'm in love with the look of geta. Is there any company that sells modern versions of them? I think actual wooden ones will make me look like a massive weeb.
>>
File: 81306024002368.jpg (592 KB, 810x831) Image search: [Google]
81306024002368.jpg
592 KB, 810x831
>>8994646
There are a lot of variations of geta shapes to choose from (love pokkuri geta so much!). Black and red lacquered versions are probably what you want for less rustic and weeby interpretations instead of plain unfinished pawlonia wood. Not familiar with specific companies but maybe try looking on Rakuten for the lacquered ones.
>>
>>8994775
Are.... are those geta ice skates?
>>
>>8994777
Yes they are and I'm in love with them too
>>
>>8994640

I went to the page to buy it and there was no option for overseas shipping. It has happened to me before, where I buy an item and then they email me to tell me it's unavailable to ship to outside of Japan, even on rakuten global.

>>8994646

There are tons on rakuten, painted or very dark wood ones tend to be cheaper but the lacquered is more expensive and fancier (in my experience)
>>
>>8994992
Oh that sucks have you tried the kimono pages on Fb?
>>
>>8995122

Do you mean for the zori? It's alright I found a nice used pair on ebay.
>>
File: 12553-27_01.jpg (84 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
12553-27_01.jpg
84 KB, 640x640
Do they make Zori for a large 26-27 cm foot for women?

The ones I have are just small enough to be uncomfortable to have to constantly grip with my toes to keep my feet on them.
Largest I ever see are 23 cm.
>>
>>8995369

You may already know this, but zori are supposed to be slightly small and your feet come off the sides a bit. The largest I usually see is 25cm but I have seen larger 26-27cm ones. I think I've seen some extra large ones on Ichiroya - you can also email them (or other kimono stores) and they might be able to find something for you.

I recently emailed ichiroya about a bridal accessories set, they were nice and gave me lots of useful information and offered to special order one for me.
>>
Is anyone interested in posting their own kimono coordinates? I like to see them.
>>
>>
>>
>>8995382
>ichiroya

Yeah, I did know they are supposed to be smaller. But I don't think they are supposed to be quite as small as mine are for my feet.
I'd have to look but I think mine are 23 cm and having 3 or 4 cms of your foot hanging off the back just isn't comfortable and my feet ache after just an hour or so.

Thank you so much for the tip on Ichiroya. I wouldn't have thought to look there nor ask for special assistance. Thanks to you I might be able to wear the stuff I make comfortably for once.
>>
>>8995369
I know one of the members of IG on facebook make custom sized pairs. I can't remember who but if you search the group you'll find them.
>>
File: y1-89926_4[1].jpg (56 KB, 330x247) Image search: [Google]
y1-89926_4[1].jpg
56 KB, 330x247
Hope it's okay to post here, will post in bst thread as well. Hoping to sell pic related. 24cm nice grips on the bottom. Wanting $15 shipped in USA left my email if anyone's interested.
>>
>>8995369
I have a few shops on rakuten that sell 3L which is 26cm.
>>
>>8994777
>>8994778
Just call the ambulance the second you buy them..
>>
>>8996297

Oh do tell of you know of a few shops!
>>
>>8996902
Not sure what color your looking for, this one has a few varieties, I'm checking my bookmarks to see if the other shops are sold out.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?tag=1001535&sid=auc-mifuji&tl=206572
>>
posting more bridal inspo
>>
>>8998038
These are really pretty. My grandma is giving me her old bridal set when she dies, but I'm worried it will look bad since she's much shorter than I am.
>>
File: hanayome_001.jpg (73 KB, 262x349) Image search: [Google]
hanayome_001.jpg
73 KB, 262x349
>>8998253

I know, I have recently fallen in love with wedding kimono. So excited for AN this year so I can wear the kakeshita and uchikake I bought.
>>
>>8998265
I'm sure you'll look lovely!
>>
>>8998270
also, not to shit up the thread, but pic related is from a shop in Japan that up-cycles vintage including kimono. I know this thread is for more traditional things but I thought it was gorgeous.
>>
>>8998278
pic related is the back.
>>
File: il_570xN.1008814313_nf6t.jpg (35 KB, 570x529) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.1008814313_nf6t.jpg
35 KB, 570x529
>>8998278

No problem, I'm just glad people are posting in the thread. Kimono is often eclipsed by other j-fashions, it's good to see more people getting interested in it.

On an unrelated note, I'm thinking of getting this kanzashi to go with >>8994239 - I already bought a cheap hair ornament but I'm thinking perhaps I should go with real kanzashi instead of some mediocre flower thing. If I'm going to make my outfit as nice and authentic as possible perhaps I shouldn't cheap out on the hair accessories.

I'll be wearing it with a dark brown wig with bangs styled into a large bun, do you think it would fit the outfit? Don't want to spend too much on something if it doesn't end up looking good. (it's $100 with shipping)
>>
>>8998290
I think that will probably look good. Maybe one with a bit more gold or red in it though would look better.
>>
>>8998299
Sorry half of my message disappeared.

I was saying the red and gold would look better and add more balance to the outfit. Plus the red and gold are really traditional too. Also who are you cosplaying?
>>
File: tumblr_o6kc7xtnP21r5udkio2_540.jpg (274 KB, 540x800) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6kc7xtnP21r5udkio2_540.jpg
274 KB, 540x800
>>8998303

Thanks, there is also a red and white one available, not sure where I could find others. But I'm leaning towards white because it's neutral and I could re-use the kanzashi with other kimono no matter their colour.

I'm cosplaying Nanami from Kamisama Hajimemashita in her wedding outfit. Pic related.
>>
>>8998315
Ah yeah white then for sure if you're planning on using it again. I'm sure your cosplay will look great!
>>
>>8997513

Oh black, yellow or red would suit a lot of the things I wear.
I see black is in stock in 3L...ooo that would be perfect to start with.

Thank you so much.
>>
Sakura season finally where I live (yeah yeah I live totally up north in the middle of nowhere). I've been making rather casual coordinates for hanami, both official and unofficial events, with some sakura "hidden" in the kimono or obi, not obvious on the first glance.

I'm sort of so deep in the iki mentality that wearing full-blown sakura motif kimono to a hanami feels like a faux pas to me, but a lot of people do it. What are your feelings on the subject? Is is classier to wear something else to not outshine the real thing or does anyone in the western world care about nuances like this?
>>
>>8998846

I think it's incorrect but I also don't really care, others can wear whatever they please whether it follows the rules or not. It would bother me if they're doing something hugely wrong, but a small faux pas like that doesn't bug me. However, it's not something I would do myself.
>>
I really like this ensemble. Modern hairstyle with traditional clothing.
>>
>>
What are some good places for inspo? When I google kimono blogs I just get basic bitches in 'kimonos'.
>>
>>8999487

There are some nice kimono / karyukai blogs on tumblr. Try kimono-daisuki, geisha-kai, kimononoko, kimono-nao, etc

There are tons more, just look at the blogs they reblog from. Pinterest is actually my favourite for inspiration.
>>
>>8987061
Any members of IG here? What happened with the fb post about the secret group? It's not there so I am guessing drama occured and it got deleted.
>>
>>9000306
Don't know what happened but I do know that a few members seemed to have left. Which is a shame, as they were often some of the best dressed and posted lovely outfits and were generally all round good people.
>>
>>9000306

I've never heard anything about a secret group...?

>>9000318

I'm not sure if they left or if they were banned. Naomi said some prolific members were pretending to be mods and moderating other's behaviour when they weren't supposed to.
>>
So, please clarify for me, /cgl/. In what situation is wearing a kimono an unforgiveable sin? And why was this a huge deal as recently as HALLOWEEN LAST YEAR? At that same time we had also had an active and popular nazi cosplay thread.

- Must be Japanese, or at least of east asian ethnicity
- Geisha makeup never acceptable unless you were actually trained from child in Japan for the occupation and adopted by or born to a family of traditional Japanese prostitutes
- God help you if you were born with a penis. Or maybe that would actually make it OK because transgender equality

Furthermore, would these restrictions still apply if I wanted to wear a qi pao at an appropriate event? What if I put on a shitty blonde wig and pretended to be notable political figure, as countless comedians and normal people have done for laffs?
>>
File: tumblr_o6175ceOrE1uok8fzo1_500.jpg (106 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6175ceOrE1uok8fzo1_500.jpg
106 KB, 500x750
>>9000714

1. Japanese people don't give a shit when westerners wear kimono
2. Don't wear geisha make up unless you know what you're doing
3. There are kimono specifically made for men.
>>
>>9000714

Stop derailing the thread, everybody is tired of the cultural appropriation debate and it gets brought up literally all the time.

Post more kimono pics.
>>
File: daigoro tachibana.jpg (30 KB, 600x311) Image search: [Google]
daigoro tachibana.jpg
30 KB, 600x311
>>9000806
This is absolutely very relevant and not a derail. You are derailing it by trying to change the subject.

I posted that as a guy who actually wanted to do this and was absolutely horrified and blindsided that most of the hate, BY FAR, came from a subculture that is otherwise rather accepting of exotic dress and gender bending. What the fuck happened?

Pic related: His name is Daigoro Tachibana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daigoro_Tachibana
>>
>>9000820
LITERALLY every kimono thread we have. You have an answer right here >>9000800 so let's not continue. Sage for no contribution.
>>
>>9000696
There was mention of it from one of the mods on the FB page but it has since been deleted. Apparently either a member or ex-member created a secret group and was adding people from the main group to it. IG got pissy and started to ban members who were involved, apparently the bans have since been revoked. Kinda wish I got invited to the other group because IG is starting to turn into a dictatorship now.
>>
>>8987061
So what's the drama been about? What's this "word" people keep dancing around?
>>
>>9001152
I was sad when IG forums closed as I don't have fb account and it would have been nice to be able to discuss the hobby... But maybe it's good that I didn't make a fb just for kitsuke in the light of these events.
>>
>>9001157

Long story short, the people in IG had an inside joke surrounding the world "flagile" - packages from a kimono store called sou always had a sticker on the outside that said that, messing up the l's and the r's. it was a pretty harmless joke, until someone messaged the mods saying that it was racist. someone also left the group because they said they were "uncomfortable"

The word "flagile" ended up getting banned, there was a large backlash, the group got shut down for a few weeks, a few prominent members ended up getting banned but I believe that ban has since been revoked.
>>
>>9001252

A few days, I mean. Not weeks.
>>
>>9001252
What are the chances this is the fault of a bunch of dumb fuck white SJWs shitstorming on some other culture's behalf?
>>
>>9001268
More than likely, it seems that the group is getting more and more like that.

>>9001252
I hope those members come back, or set up an alternate group. One in particular was always very friendly, helped me with my coords and posted some interesting kitsuke ideas(she had some haori and hakama combos).

>>9001192
I'd still join and lurk, at least for the time being. Naomi and the rest of the admins are trying to get the group into some order but honestly, I preferred the forum. Ironically it felt more like a community then than it does now.
>>
>>9001313
Also forgot to add, at the speed in which the word was banned, I'm guessing that it was someone who is either close to an admin/is an admin, especially when you consider how one admin in particular reacted to the complaints(EM).
>>
>>9001252
One person pretends to take offense, and the entire community collapses for a few weeks? Are their foundations that fragile?
>>
>>9001762
See the problem with the mods for IG is that they are very heavy handed. Where other groups offer warnings, they rush straight for the banhammer. Combined with the fact that the group has always been cliquey, and the fact that they removed some of the most helpful members of the group(who also created original content, like chayatsuji kimono - whose videos I recommend) and the lack of discussion and input about the changes happening in the group with the regular members has turned the group into a minefield atm.
>>
>>9001762

>Are their foundations that *flagile?

ftfy
>>
>>9001775
Isn't that a good sign it's time for you guys to make a newer, better group, with blackjack and geishas?
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 600x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 600x330
>>9001858
>>
>>9001762

Not a few weeks just a few days. I messed up writing that.
>>
File: 1335112046308.png (137 KB, 402x505) Image search: [Google]
1335112046308.png
137 KB, 402x505
>>9001775
proven once again
>>
File: image.jpg (806 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
806 KB, 2448x2448
got this in the mail today
>>
>>8987296
This whole thing was so stupid. They did this exhibit in Japan first. It was only when coming to the US did people get their panties in a twist. Not everything is cultural appropriation! I used to live in Japan and the Japanese really appreciated when foreigners wore yukata and kimono because they saw it as an appreciation of their culture.
>>
>>8987309
Unlike the Boston museum exhibit this IS cultural appropriation...
>>
So I'm making a Cosplay and the character is wearing something which looks a lot like a kimono, except with a big hood. Do any of you know how any sewing patterns for kimonos that are actually decent? Thx
>>
>>9005500
Why
>>
>>9005502
Check out the DIY kimono facebook group
>>
>>9004503
Fucking triggered m8. What did you get, you racist shitlord?
>>
>>9005736

nothing special just a couple obi age
>>
>>9005733
thanks!
>>
I don't want this thread to die.
>>
>>
File: TaishoRoman05.jpg (128 KB, 552x926) Image search: [Google]
TaishoRoman05.jpg
128 KB, 552x926
This thread makes me so happy and a little sad, because I'm so scared of being thought of as appropriating a culture that I've stopped wearing my kimono. They're just folded and in storage (I just air them out and refold them every so often.) I'm glad that, according to this thread, the criticism is largely from people who aren't even Japanese.

Anyway, enough of me being a pitiful bitch. Have some Taisho Roman.

Also, I'm another anon who has fallen in love with hakama as of late and am tempted to get some, but I'm afraid I'll still be too chicken to wear anything out.
>>
>>9008920
I will join you.
Let's be kimono buds together.
>>
>>8987061
Can we post shitty kimono examples? My soul needs a laugh
>>
>>9009431
Getting friends to wear kimono with you helps a lot with the awkward feeling. I've been a lone kimono wearer for years but now I maybe have a kitsuke friend and it's amazing.
>>
File: 197f8xbrdqjrljpg.jpg (46 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
197f8xbrdqjrljpg.jpg
46 KB, 636x358
>>9009458

I guess? Honestly, I'm not a fan of making fun of people for wearing kimono in shitty ways, because everyone has to start somewhere, my kitsuke used to be messy too and it's still not perfect.

Unless of course you're talking about things like pic related. Go for it.
>>
File: katy-perry-05-660.jpg (63 KB, 660x495) Image search: [Google]
katy-perry-05-660.jpg
63 KB, 660x495
>>9009679

Or this hideous, chinese brocade looking yukata.
>>
I was wondering, where do you actually wear your kimono?

I've always found the style beautiful, but I don't know where it would be practical to be dressed up. Do you primarily get dressed up for cons and weeb events? Are there meet-up groups in some cities? Do you just hoard outfits like a textile obsessed dragon? Do you just wear your geta to the supermarket and give no fucks?
>>
>>9009808
Halfway between hoarding and not giving a fuck.

My Japanese community center holds monthly events. They recently had a kimono appreciation event, and before that they had a sake tasting. Look at local events maybe something will come up.
>>
>>9009812

>multicultural events
>bumfuck america

Pick one, amirite? Ahaha. ha.

Honestly I'd get so many racist comments it wouldn't be worth it. It doesn't help I'm probably one of five asian people in town. So the other four would probably be wtf-ing at me for wanting to be lol nipponese.
>>
File: 1_003012000011.jpg (44 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1_003012000011.jpg
44 KB, 640x480
>tfw now have a dream obi
>already a lolita who throws money at rare MM for ridiculous prices

Haha fuck me.
>>
>>9009808
Usually for Japanese events. However I'm slowly starting not to give a fuck, and beginning to wear my pieces out locally.
>>
>>9009458
I don't care for making fun of people wearing kimono poorly. As everyone needs a place to start and depending on your body shape it can be difficult to get the kimono to sit right.
>>
File: kimono02-1.jpg (113 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
kimono02-1.jpg
113 KB, 720x720
>>9011352
Mamechiyo's stuff is amazing! Also love kimonomachi's kimono too, they are beautiful(and their LL size is awesome for people with wide hips or who are plus size!).
>>
>>8988716
You get rude stares cause you're a fucking weeaboo.
>>
File: uchikake_greenprple-full.jpg (138 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
uchikake_greenprple-full.jpg
138 KB, 480x640
>>9009679
Okay >>9000714, this kind of Halloween costume tier mixing of traditional Japanese garb and somewhat modern Chinese fashion while doing CHING CHONG DING DONG hand gestures actually IS cultural appropriation for Asian Americans who have had white people do this to them all their lives.
Reseaching and properly wearing real kimono and not tacky bathrobes made with a McCall's pattern is not.

Now that I'm done, here's a wild uchikake.
>>
>>9014008
Do you realize this is a Japanese fashion and cosplay board? Everybody here is a weaboo. You're not edgy or cool for pointing it out.
>>
OMG The IG forums got hacked. It looks like they know who did it. There was the one girl who got banned recently who helped with the forum. Bet it was her.
>>
>>9017335

How do you know they know who did it?

I'm guessing her name might be C.A.C? She got banned along with a few other people including Y.C, who seemed to have been allowed back. But I'm pretty sure C.A.C. is still banned.
>>
It said in the group that that they asked for the data to be destroyed. You need to know who did it to ask!
>>
And something about access points to be turned over.
>>
>>9009808

Japanese festivals usually. We have a kimono meetup group in my area but they rarely have events so I've worn it out beyond that a few times. I wore furisode with a friend to go out to dinner for seijin no hi in January because why not?

I also have a very small collection of kimono because I don't wear it much. But even then, I still have pieces I haven't worn because I haven't had an opportunity.
>>
Carol is my freind said the admins of the IG group were bitches. Serves them right.
>>
File: 8310703981_260d6a6b5a_o.jpg (90 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
8310703981_260d6a6b5a_o.jpg
90 KB, 640x640
So, I know nothing about geta. Are these types only associated with bridal events? Also, are they hard to walk in? I plan on putting something together (not immediately) and would like a pair similar to this style.
>>
>>9017965

Those are called koma geta. They are only worn by oiran, and extremely high class yujo (prostitute) They are worn without tabi. I've never heard of them worn at weddings, but oiran also wear uchikake (an outer kimono reserved for oiran, tayuu, or brides) so I see where you could have got the idea.

I've seen unauthentic pairs on aliexpress intended for cosplay. Since there are only a few tayuu left in Japan, and no working oiran (just actresses who play them) I don't think they're manufactured anymore except for costumes. They would probably cost hundreds of dollars, and an vintage pair would be worthy a lot more and be something that belongs in a museum.
>>
>>9017965

I also have a pair similar called okobo, they are the wooden shoes worn by apprentice geisha (maiko)

I got a painted pair from aliexpress for $50 but I should have splurged on the more expensive plain wooden ones from Japan, they're much more beautiul then the boring chinese knock offs I have. They aren't very common since they're really only worn by maiko and children, I found a new pair for $100 and I really should have gotten them. Maiko ones would be ludicrously expensive.

They're not too bad to walk in as long as you take short controlled steps, which is what women are supposed to do in kimono anyways.
>>
>>9018102
>>9018112

Sorry for all the typos and mistakes, I'm typing on my phone and I keep fucking things up.
>>
>>9018102
Thanks. I only guessed bridal because it came up in the results when trying to find that type.
>>
>>9017340
It doesn't seem like something CAC would do though.
>>
>>8993298
they look way too sexy? it seems a little disrespectful to make a drag costume out of traditional clothing
>>
>>9014185
this is so trippy and gorgeous !!
>>
I'd love to wear a kimono someday, but there's no place for me to wear it (inb4 japanese events, there's no such thing here at all) and being 6ft tall my dressing options get rather limited as well.

I'll just look at pretty pictures from afar for now.
>>
>>9018592
>no place for me to wear it
Do you go to conventions? They are a good place to wear them(even simple yukata).

> being 6ft tall
plenty of LL options available which are suitable for people 6ft tall. Also the more modern way of wearing is to skip ohashori, allowing for more leeway.
>>
>>9018592
>being 6ft tall my dressing options get rather limited as well.

I'm also 6'0 and I've worn kimono so I know they are out there.

But I also make my own. Yukata and regular kimono are easy to make since they are just a series of rectangles really.

>>9018630
is right that skipping ohashori is acceptable now!
>>
>>9005534
It's not a kimono, it's a halloween costume. Also this set dressing and costume was for the song "Unconditionally" which lent the whole thing an uncomfortable Madame Butterfly effect.
>>
>>9018307
They weren't, they were making drag costumes out of a Madonna costume. The theme for the week was Madonna.

It's like, second-hand appropriation at best.
>>
What do you gulls do when you see someone wearing a kimono or yukata right-over-left? It always makes me cringe, and I really have an urge educate that person on the rules. But I'm not sure how appropriate it is to just come up to a stranger and say that they are wearing it wrongly. Despite the cringe, I would feel like a negative nancy.
>>
>>8987638
I like tsuke obi, actually. I don't get all the hate. Go to a matsuri/hanabi in Japan, and you find half of the girls wearing these. And they just look good in it.
>>
>>9019486

I did it wrong once and no one told me. I wasn't that embarrassed because I was wearing white anyways and so I just said it was a ghost character.

But if I ever did see it I would tell the person in a comical fashion so they learned but got a laugh out of it too. Like telling them about the

Left over rice.
Left over right.

It's a funny way to remember.
>>
Do you guys happen to know if they traditionally starched the kimono and how they did it?
>>
>>9019545
Oh, that's a good one, thanks! That could certainly light up the mood.
>>
I have some IG gossip on the hack from a friend of a friend close to all of this.Y'all hold onto your hats. CAC is the one hacking but she was given details to help out about a year ago. She was caught trying to destroy the forum by IP but even when she was told to stop and hand over the download she kept hacking. My friend said there were two of them hacking now.

In the fb group they said that all the data was gone and they were going to try and redo everything so the information isn'g lost.
>>
When is it appropriate to wear a haori sans kimono? I got a haori at a convention I went to but have no kimono and it's so similar to a happi that it almost seems as though they could be worn interchangeably. Is this terrible of me?
>>
>>9020006
>She was caught trying to destroy the forum by IP but even when she was told to stop and hand over the download she kept hacking. My friend said there were two of them hacking now.

Shit... Why the hell would she do that? There was a lot of good info on the forums.
>>
>>9020291
I wear haori with regular clothing all the time. I pair my more casual pieces with casual clothing and the more fancy stuff with fancier outfits.
>>
>>9019486
I try to say it to them discretely but in a non-humiliating way, usually something like what >>9019545 does.
>>
How long does it generally take to learn how to properly put on a kimono? I bought my first recently and had someone else help me with putting it on.
>>
>>9020390

Took me like 7 months of occasional practice. However, it depends how much you practice, how many videos you watch, and how determined you are. Most people take longer than 7 months, but you may be able to do it faster if you spend longer practicing.
>>
>>9020390
It really depends on how much you practice. Like anything really, the more often you practice then better you get at it. I usually set aside 1 day a week for kitsuke practice(45 mins - an hour, more depending on the kimono).

It also depends on the type of kimono(komon are easier than furisode) and obi(some musubi are quicker to do than others) and your body shape(do you need to learn where to pad etc).

In general though, it won't take you too long to learn if its a komon and you have an understanding of where to pad(maybe a few weeks to get it down). Are you a member of IG? If not you should join and post pics for kitsuke advice. Often times the members can point out things that you may have missed, while at the same time it acts as a progress log for yourself, allowing you to see how far you have come.
>>
>>9020415
Took me maybe one month to get to passable, but I practiced a lot during that month, maybe a couple of hours every day.
>>
>>9020415
>>9020451
Well that makes sense. (Not trying to sound sarcastic) Thanks.

>>9020422
I tried IG yesterday and the site was down. But practice seems like the best step. The people I bought it from gave me a card for their tutorials and I'll most certainly check them out. I just didn't know what an ideal time frame was.
>>
>>9020466
Check them out on FB. The forums aren't active but they are planning on making a new one.
Thread replies: 220
Thread images: 69

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.