[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Artist Alley Thread: Do We Need a FAQ edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: itsaatime.jpg (336 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
itsaatime.jpg
336 KB, 1280x960
RIP Old Thread >>>8956458

>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l-9tZn_PaqsZWkb5SB_aqwh7uvURyoLgdsQiuz_Ty08/edit#gid=0
>Taobao/Alibaba services
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14zGSegr0b-429wZq5_xdMbE9hpLcXg8fqqe0OxnU2Yo/edit#gid=0
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>>
Are plastic storage cubes heavier than wire cubes? I was going to buy some plastic because they looked lighter but some artists told me that they are actually quite heavy. Should I just stick with wire cubes?
>>
>>8981888
they are definitely heavier than wire, but imo not obnoxious so. it's up to personal preference, really. if you're just after the 'lightest', stick with wire.
>>
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what are some of you guys' experiences with shipping inventory to cons/hotels ahead of time? In particular plush artists. I'm just reaching my limit of what fits into checked baggage.
>>
File: Cg8jH6UWgAAlihA.jpg (215 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Cg8jH6UWgAAlihA.jpg
215 KB, 400x400
just thought I would share, I recently decided to get a couple more of the food/animal hybrids from the cgl threads awhile back made into charms (plus a key lime lizard) so that I could offer them as a set, since the spiderburgers were surprisingly popular at the last con I vended at!

as a general query: for those of you who offer charms, do you offer alternative ways of attachment (e.g, phone strap, keychain, dust plug)? or do you just sell them as is? do you charge extra to change them? if you do it, how often is it requested? trying to work out whether or not it would be worth advertising the option for a future con.
>>
>>8981964
I don't know about shipping stuff into hotels, but you may also want to check into the option of having your stuff sent to a FedEx or UPS store to hold for pickup. I know a lot of FedEx office locations are open 24/7 so you can pick up your stuff no matter how delayed a flight gets.
>>
>>8981964

Not AA related, but at my workplace, I'm always shipping things out to hotels for presentation my sales guys are having and I've never had any issues with the hotel receiving and getting the stuff to the needed people.

I'd check with the hotel just because, but we always put ATTN: Hold for Guest - NAME HERE under the location name.
>>
I'm curious what the average price for 11"x17" holographic prints is? I don't want to undercut all my neighbors and be an accidental douche

Current plan is selling 13"x19" regular prints for $15 I think, with a buy 2 get 1 free deal. I hope this sounds right!

(Thank you!)
>>
>>8982049
fuck yeah lemme buy some anon
>>
>>8982049
I don't think I've ever seen anyone sell them as is. It looks lazy and unprofessional.
I only offer one kind of each depending on size. (small - strap. large - keyring)

I regret not getting the freebie a while back, by any chance are you going to sell these online as a set?
>>
>>8982211
Prices change depending on the demographic/location of the con you're tabling at. For me, 13"x19" is usually more around $20. I see people price holographic the same as regular prints, so you could do them for $15, but I think $20 would sell as well?
>>
>>8982049
Where did you get your charms printed? I've been looking for somewhere to get that old style again since zap stopped doing it
>>
>>8982292
two sellers at a con iIwas at had them just as they were...no pin backs, nothing. I was really surprised. The average person probably doesn't have a stash of spare keyrings/straps.

>>8982215
^ to this anon as well, regrettably I live in the southern hemisphere so shipping can be kind of pricy even for a tiny charm b/c of minimums, but after this upcoming con i'll put them online and drop a code in one of these threads for free sets, if y'all don't mind paying shipping (probably $6ish USD?)

>>8982211
I tend to see holographic/'special' (like gold accents as well) 11"x17" prints going for $20.
>>
>>8982328
woop forgot to reply to this one, I got these from Acornpress. I have nothing but glowing reviews, fera is super nice and the quality from the upgraded machines is wonderful. although I think they are pretty busy at the moment so it's good to order well in advance during con season.
>>
>>8981888
>>8981955
I think wire cubes are pretty heavy when you have to carry 16 of those around. Wouldn't plastic be lighter than metal wire? Just surprised that wire cubes are the lightest!
>>
>tfw you're about to reopen an online shop
>tfw your pricing is a lot higher then last time (like 5 years ago)

I'm terrified that nothing will sell because they're simple plushies.
>>
>>8982211
I sell my 13x19s for $20, though once those filter out I'm switching to 11x17 for holo stuff.

I see holo prints usually $20, and regular ones for $15, since holo is an 'upgrade' from a regular print.
>>
>>8982314
>>8982331
>>8982778
Thank you all for the replies! Now I know I'm undercutting the rest of the 13"x19" folks, ack! Will be nice to get a bit extra potentially
>>
Finally made a test batch of my new steven universe themed bath bombs.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to display them though.

The smells are pretty intense so I'm thinking about shrink wrapping the display ones and then having a little scent card next to them that has a little bit of the essential oil combination on it.

Any ideas or suggestions?
>>
File: vb298.jpg (9 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
vb298.jpg
9 KB, 300x300
>>8983211
Place some color coordinated tissue paper in the bottom and set the soaps on top. Should help keep them from crumbling in sturdy packaging.

http://www.clearbags.com/box/clear/value
>>
>>8983223
This is perfect! Thank you, this will also help with transporting them.
>>
>>8983211
Those little cookie cats are adorable!
>>
>>8982109
>>8982121
Thanks Anons, super helpful. I'll give both a shot!

>>8982721
You'll never know until you try!
>>
>>8983211
What color does the cookie cat turn tub water?
>>
>>8982331
I'm a different anon and am interested in buying some food-monster charms as well. I don't mind the shipping cost and I left my email in case you still have extras you wanna sell!
>>
>>8983301
Thanks! I used a combination of vanilla and strawberry essential oils so it smells like a strawberry milk shake.

>>8983370
I just filled up my tub and threw one in there. I expected it to turn a muddy/shit brown but it ended up being mostly pink with only a slight brown tint to it. I think it's because I put a thin layer of brown on the top and bottom while the middle is pink/white.
>>
Has anyone ordered clear acrylic charms through acorn? Was wondering how the printing is compared to the white.
>>
How do you embellish a charm from vograce? I just noticed that my embellishments dangle right in front of my charms when other people's embelishments dangle to the side. Do you take off the phone strings and re-assemble them yourself and add more split rings/lobster claps? I wonder if it is ok for my embellishments to dangle in front of my charms.
>>
>>8983830
Sorry, I'm asking because it is impossible to disassemble vograce's jump rings. They're closed so tightly that it's not even possible to move the jump rings around.
>>
File: honoka.png (738 KB, 591x705) Image search: [Google]
honoka.png
738 KB, 591x705
>>8983761
i have! I was very happy with the quality of the charms, although (not to any fault of acornpress) some of my finer lines got a little lost. In the future I'll probably use thicker lineart. The colors are very nice and there is no white border or misalignment of layers on any of my 100~ charm order.
>>
>>8983413
Do you dilute the essential oils...? undiluted essential oils that aren't lavender are potentially poisonous...
>>
How much do you price artsbovine flat zipper pouches for?
>>
>>8983886
I don't sell them but I usually see them for around $15 if they're the medium sized ones, $10 for the small.
>>
>>8983839
Thank you! That's exactly what I was hoping for! On the areas that are clear did you add any sort of color or just blank completely? I'm hoping if I have one side with a light color and the other side blank, it should turn out slightly transparent?
>>
Thanks! Aren't they already priced around $10-15 plus $3-4 shipping for each on artsbovine? Where's the profit? )))
>>
File: Cg8k1PCWYAE9pyN.jpg (52 KB, 600x606) Image search: [Google]
Cg8k1PCWYAE9pyN.jpg
52 KB, 600x606
>>8983900
You don't buy them as-is. you wait for a sale and get a code that knocks them down to 3 for $8 or something like that, with free shipping.

>>8983899
for the fishing line, it's completely clear, but for the shawl-ish thing it was a pale peachy color, which didn't really work out as intended, but ah well, haha.
If you want semi-transparency, use a color a few shades darker/more vibrant than you want and then on your 'white' layer erase the parts you want to be semi-transparent. I hope that makes sense? crappy pic related, I erased the white layer areas for the darker part of the blade to get semi-transparency.
>>
File: IMG_20160429_171356.jpg (312 KB, 1000x748) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160429_171356.jpg
312 KB, 1000x748
My Vograce clear charm tests came in today and I'm pretty pleased with the results. The plastic is a bit thicker than the Zap charms that I do have, which I like but I'm not sure if people prefer the plastic thinner.
>>
>>8983921
I'd think people would prefer thicker since it implies that its sturdy. Although, I'd still be wary of the sword sticking out on the third charm.
You might want to rethink Mako's leg positions because it's hard to read and his foot looks like a little peen because of the placement.
>>
>>8983911
Wow, thanks! Does artsbovine have those sales often?

Also, do they ship directly from Hong Kong or from mainland China?

Btw, are the semi-transparent charms from acorn?
>>
>>8983921
Are they double sided? Does vograce have double sided clear charms?
>>
>>8983948
fairly frequently, I would join AANI if you haven't already, people often post their codes and such there (you usually get codes after you make a purchase that you can share with other people)! unfortunately both artsbovine and bovinebovine had codes on their cosmetic bags that just expired today/yesterday, so you might have to wait a week or two. I'll try and post in the thread next time they pop up. You can subscribe to get them emailed to you, also.

I believe i'ts mainland China (?), but I don't know for sure, sorry.

and yes, those are from acorn as well!
>>
>>8983951
Wow thanks! This is so nice of you!
>>
>>8983928
Ah shit, I totally did not see the dick until you pointed it out. These are just to test quality so I'm not selling these designs.

>>8983949
Yeah, these are double sided.
>>
>>8983860
This nigga here...

Not bath bomb chan but 1) of course they're diluted, they're combined with other things. That's the literal definition of dilution. 2) There's obviously oil in the mix they're suspended in because how else are you supposed to get soft skin from the bath, also the scent would evaporate too fast without oil to get "stuck" on. 3) Unless you gona be a dumbass and drink a whole bottle they're not poisonous, get your mom science outta here.
>>
>>8983962
Actually, I have a bovinebovine code I just got this week for ordering. It's for 0.99 cent mini coin purses.

Z099COINPDD29S
Expires 6/26/2016
>>
>>8983839
Do you have a store link? I love the SLG set.
>>
>>8983962
no problem, hope you manage to find a code before that though!

>>8984041
^ such as from awesome anon here, I might grab this code as well.

>>8984066
Unfortunately honkers was a one off addition to my charm order as an itabag gift for my table helper. I appreciate the interest though! (SLG best set)
>>
File: 2.jpg (201 KB, 504x378) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
201 KB, 504x378
>>8984090
>such as from awesome anon here, I might grab this code as well

Just paying it forward!

Speaking of, got my photos from Coco today! Thanks so much to the gulls that gave me feedback on Onion Bunny! I can't wait to have them in hand.
>>
>>8983948
They ship from HK
>>
>>8984163
Looking good! The charms will look even more vibrant when you take the protective plastic layer off. That's why they look a little frosted now.
>>
My first ever con is going to be a large con. I don't want to take too much stuff but *if* I manage to sell out early because I didn't take enough, what can I do? I draw too slow to offer onsite commissions. I'm only taking like 40 prints, 400 buttons, 40 charms, and maybe a total of 200 stickers. Any advice?
>>
>>8984232

If you sell out of everything (or even just prints) is that enough to make your money back + decent profit? Also, if you didn't sell out, are you doing other cons or an online shop where you could get rid of your excess stock? If you're going to have other venus to sell, and your work is decent, then I'd say order a few more prints. If you're only doing this con to test the waters, and if you sell out (or even half) and can make your money back, don't worry about selling out.

How many print designs do you have?
>>
>>8984247
I would have to sell everything to get my money back with some profit. I don't have an online shop and I want to do more cons in the near future but I'm just testing the waters for now. My work is mediocre but not too terrible, I hope. I hope I sell out because it's a large con, but I don't know how appealing my work will be next to all the amazing artists.

I have 6 print designs and they are all 8x11. Thank you for your help anon!
>>
I've seen Acornpress stuff mentioned here, I was wondering where they are located? I tried checking their tumblr for info but I couldn't find it.

Actually, it'd be nice to find more in-Canada sources in general...
>>
>>8984256

In that case, do not print more or bring more. If the only way to make profit is to sell out, keep your stock low like you have and don't risk anything else. It's definitely daunting to do a big con but there's more people so hopefully you do well!
>>
>>8984344
Thanks anon! I really appreciate it. I will just bring what I have now and hope for the best!
>>
So I sell some of my art in a "package deal". (For example, they're all one game or series, and I sell the large prints, stickers, charms, etc I have of the series for a discount.) Any suggestions on how to display this? At Wonder con I just had them laid out on the table, but even at two packages, the 11x17" prints took up a lot of room even while overlapping, but I don't want to not have the prints and have them try figure out what prints I'm including from my display
>>
Is it possible to make good profit by doing aa? People here talk about making banks, but a lot of people I see on other forums and blogs say they're lucky if they break even and how they should just do this for fun because it's unrealistic to make anprofit doing aa. I guess it depends on the artist, but is aa really not that profitable?
>>
>>8984519
Really depends on what other merch you have, but I'd try to put the series-stuff together and put a sign near it about a discount.
>>
>>8984551
Depends on how good you are and how well you market yourself. Art in general is not that great to live off of though, in my opinion.
>>
>>8984555
The problem is that my prints are hanging up on my stand, my keychains are separate, my stickers are separate, etc. Trying to place them closer together would kind of ruin the layout of my display.
>>
>>8984556
A few threads back, someone mentioned that there is an artist who only does buttons and makes banks. I was like, how?? I guess it just depends on how good your art is.
>>
>>8983211
Are you going to sell that at an anime or comic con?
>>
>>8984562
Marketing, anon, marketing.
>>
>>8984558
That's what I figured.

Maybe you can put a sign near one set of stuff that says "[x] Discount if you buy 2 or more [series] merch!" ?
>>
>>8984565
Do you mean like an online presence? Sadly, I hardly have a presence because my art is not at all popular online.
>>
>>8984551

Define good. I'm not rolling in the dough after a con, but I make enough to afford a nice vacation every year, which is basically why I'm doing AA – savings for travel and a little mad money for my vices.

I think anyone who's not making back their investment is either a) spending too much upfront or b) not producing good work. Even mediocre things sell at cons, so you don't have to be amazing to make sales. Just don't be absolute shit and make wise investments in the products you sell and how much they cost you to make. A lot of people are probably just business dumb, too, and with all the competition to have products like charms, and coin purses, and other manufactured items, upfront costs can be way more than just someone selling prints.
>>
>>8984570
Good luck.

Sometimes though, as long as your art is appealing enough in person, you can gain a steady following that way. Just need to expose people to your stuff. Keep at it and keep your business cards ready.
>>
>>8984551
I don't market much because I don't really have time or feel motivated to. But I'll make upwards of 1-2k at a con easily. I make jewelry and tights, I'll also sell buttons, handmade accessories, generally cute shit.

Some factors that play into it:

- Quality. My first time doing this, I made maybe $500. I didn't have a lot of stock and my stuff frankly sucked. I got better and I will often sell out.

- Competition: Some people think large cons are best, but I prefer a good medium sized con. Less competition, money is less spread out. I like small cons too, but not always worth it because table costs and room take a larger chunk of the profits.

- Pricing: Carry a variety of items at different price points. Whether it's prints or tights for $20 a pop, they are going to sell slower. I make a lot on items that are $5 or under. People will typically buy a lot of those in one purchase. Once in awhile I'll have someone buy a few big ticket items, but it's those little ones that pad it out.

- Variety: Try to cater to more people. Draw cute art? Instead of focusing on the latest fandoms, maybe include some general things that more people will like, animals, cute foods, etc.

Presentation is everything and the power of selling your brand, even if you don't sell much online and just do cons. People will get used to what you carry and will look forward to seeing you every con so they can buy more of your stuff.

Anyone can throw some resin in a mold put glitter on it and attach it to a chain. But not everyone makes a visually interesting product. I see this a lot even with your run of the mill decoden stuff. There are some people that just make stuff, and there are some people who make really cool stuff. The technique may be similar, but the execution is better. This is part practice and part presentation. This can also apply to prints and 2d art as well.

Also as you do more tables, you have more stock to sell. This adds up over time.
>>
How do you guys feel about AX artist alley being moved to Kentia Hall? Think profits will still be as good? Think people will find us?
>>
>>8984588
Now that's a good definition of good. Being able to afford a nice vacation would be what I condider good. I'm actually guilty of being business good... I ordered 4 cosmetic bags and about 100 charms just because everybody is doing it. But I don't do prints, so it's just little trinkets and stickers for me. Maybe I'm and those less successful people are spending too much upfront.

>>8984592
Thank you anon. I'll keep at it and try to improve. Hope I can gain some following as I continue to do this.
>>
>>8984563
I plan to. I'm currently making some to sell at Momocon. The voice actor for Steven is going to be a guest there so I'm hoping that will help my sales.
>>
>>8984603
Thanks anon, that's great advice! My most expensive item is a $15 cosmetic bag. Frankly it's not that cute but I'll see how it does at my next con and go from there. I really do 't have the time to market myself online, so your words are very encouraging.
>>
>>8984610
I meant business dumb lol
>>
>>8984616
Also if you are starting out, start with small local cons you can drive to and test the waters on your products, if you are able or have any around. I found that helpful when starting out. That way you're not taking a huge risk and have an idea of what might be popular.

But keep in mind all shows are different. I sat on four necklaces for a good 4 years and finally sold all of them at the last con I was at.
>>
>>8984041
Wow! Thank you so much, Anon! This is so nice of you!

Are these coin purses free from any labels or any atrsbovine branding or inscriptions as well?
>>
>>8984622
My god, 4 years?? Good persistence and congrats for finally selling them! Sometimes I wonder what I should do with the stuff that doesn't sell so I found this funny and relevant.
>>
>>8984628
Artsmoo doesn't have any branding on their products so don't worry anon!
>>
>>8984610

If your business model is built around trinkets and such, then it's not really dumb because you decided that's what kind of business you want. I just see too many people jump on the bandwagon for things like charms or other non-print merch and their work isn't that great and all of these things have higher upfront costs, making it harder to break even and make a profit.

Unfortunately, I think if you're in a situation like >>8984232 where you have to sell out to make a profit, you've overspent. I'm paranoid, but I always do calculations before a show about how much product I'd need to sell to break even, and start making a profit. You've got to have the right balance of "enough product" that you didn't spend too much to acquire, otherwise you shoot yourself in the foot.

I only do one AA a year (changing that this year, though) btw, I should have clarified, so I'm not going on some first-class extended holiday, but I can afford to go abroad at least. Part of me thinks it's a lot of work just for a vacation, but AA is fun.
>>
>>8984562
So if I'm still kind of new and want to focus on buttons and want to sell at medium size cons, how many designs should I strive to have?
>>
>>8984637
I draw chibi cutesy stuff but I'm not a print artist, so trinkets are what I should be making. Am I good enough to be making charms? That I don't know... I don't have to sell out to make a profit, but I would have to sell at least 70% of my stock. So yeah I am being kind of stupid and should really rethink how I'm spending my money.
>>
>>8984605
I'm more pissed off that the tabletop sector is 24/7 but AA isn't. They swear up and down they'll have A guard to watch things, but it's still not very comforting. Do tabletop nerds really need a 24/7 space? come the fuck on.
>>
>>8984872
I'm also super worried about that. I truly hope there will be enforce security. I can't take all of my AA stuff back to my hotel every night, that would be ridiculous. I would personally suggest getting locks for suitcases and locking up anything decently important you plan on leaving overnight.
>>
what was the name of that one plush maker? Not Gran Memorials because I've heard bad things about them but that other place I think it began with an L or something.
>>
>>8984889
Shinedown?
>>
>>8984872
Aren't those the people that spend pretty much the entire convention in the gaming room?
>>
>>8984629
Just keep offering them. I did mark them down eventually by 2 or 3$. It just happened that in the span of one convention several people really wanted them. I'd vended at that convention before too and nobody even paid attention. Bizarre. lol.
>>
Yo, anybody know when HolMat is opening up their AA registration?
>>
>>8984936
Lol that really is bizarre. Ok, I'll keep trying too anon!
>>
>>8984642
As many as you feel like or can manage. Will you be ordering the designs? Or will you be investing in a button machine? I bought one for my first con, but made my money back at the con + profit. Although that was at AN...and I also did various sized prints. But my art wasn't that good back then.

Should probably look into a machine if that's what you want to focus on. Try to have popular series, but a lot of times your sales come from the obscure and more rare series that aren't found at other tables.
>>
>>8984872
>>8984880
I had no idea about this, this is my first time doing AX or any major con that didn't lock down their AA room every night. Is this a real concern? should I start making plans to take all my shit to my hotel every night, locks are fine but people can still just take the suitcase no problem right?
>>
Has anyone here had experience with ordering enamel pins? I'm looking at either doing acrylic or metal for a fundraiser pin, while I have looked at the sites I've pulled up with Google, I'm wondering if anyone has used a particular service they thought was good.
>>
>>8985241
Just make sure all the stuff is off the top of your table and out of sight. If someone can't see it they're way less likely to take it. I don't know what you sell or if you can manage to fit it all in one suitcase but hauling it every day makes you feel better then go for it. In Texas, both A-kon and AnimeFest had 24/7 AAs at the Sheraton, and unless someone is being stupid with an expensive item (like a camera or money bag) most people don't seem to be missing anything except for the occasional someone complaining that some prints fell off overnight and someone took one instead of putting it on the table.
>>
>>8985458
If hauling it*
24 hours* not 24/7
Just woke up, brain is dumb sorry for the stupidity
>>
>>8985241
Generally speaking leaving things over night is fine. Like >>8985458 said, things that are out of sight are out of mind. That being said even though i've done a few unsecured cons I am still a bit nervous about AX specifically because usually an unsecured room is one that's open 24/7 while this one is there aren't other artists around or do-gooder attendees? So someone could potentially pretend to be an artist and just say they are checking something at their table after hours. Or they could just sneak through i mean the AX AA is huge i don't know if they plan to really hire that many security guards 24/7?
>>
>>8982049
Hey anon how about a cockwaffle? Waffle body, chicken features? Chicken and waffles is a popular breakfast dish down here in the south, and cockwaffle is fun to say.
>>
>>8985458
>>8985522
I sell prints/stickers/charms etc and all my inventory fits in one suitcase and I have a cloth I put on top to hide any display stuff and usually leave my suitcase under my table covered of course. I actually wouldn't mind a con like Akon or Afest but it's just that AX is soo big.
>>
>>8985522
The new area for AA in AX is in a totally further away down a few turns and stairway/escalator Hall, that would be hard-pressed to find the random attendee trekking down there by accident. This should be easier for the con to lock-down essentially one way in, one way out.

For sanity sake bring an extra drop cloth to just enclose whatever is on top and secure it, that way it would have to be very intentional to remove. I've rarely seen any issues even with those that just drop the cloth on top without tie-down, the only rascals that intentionally seem to lift them for a peek-a-boo are kiddies whose head is barely above the top of table, hence their hands do the looking.
>>
Why are furry conventions so weird? Artist alley is "first come first serve" as in literally who ever physically claims a table first gets the table. There is no pre-registering the table, its first to show up in the artist alley at the con.
Also, the dealers, you have to buy an attendee ticket, then buy a dealer's ticket, which makes 0 sense. They are all like that too

This one specific furry con I'm trying to vend at has been awful at communication. After buying an attendee ticket, they said they'd message me back, but they didn't, so a few days, I message them again... nothing. So now, 2 weeks later, I've e-mailed them again.
>>
At this rate, I feel like we're gonna end up paying for our Fanime tables the week before con.
>>
Is there a good resource on custom lanyards? The link in the guide was left out and I've been looking but haven't find any decent reviews of different services.
>>
>>8986637
Vograce in my opinion has the best price and no minimum quantity, last quote they gave me was 30 of 3 designs for a total of 90 lanyards for 180. Be warned though some of the designs come off centered about 1cm or less and it's not really noticeable unless you're looking for it, but I also had about 3-5 of each design come really noticeably offset
>>
>>8986606
I'm more worried about table placement, if they still do that shit from last year again it's gonna be a nightmare.
>>
>>8986374
>Artist alley is "first come first serve"
Well that's pretty norma--
> who ever physically claims a table first gets the table.
Oh dear.
I'm guessing there's not a lot of good artists that end up making it.
>>
>>8986606
At this rate i feel like we're ognna be picking for tables at the con like >>8986374 ...
>>
File: come on mods.jpg (344 KB, 1716x654) Image search: [Google]
come on mods.jpg
344 KB, 1716x654
really??
>>
>>8987079
Pretty sure that goes against Toby's rules for fanwork, even in the updated version.
>>
>>8987079
>>8987088

There's this Undertale fanartist that made a popular comic about the skeleton brothers, I think it's called "Darker yet Darker".
She made this fanservice-y Sans drawing and... sold it on a tshirt. Even though Toby said not to sell clothing through stuff like redbubble even though that's exactly what she did.

I lost all respect for her, I mean he has pretty lenient rules and apparently even that is too much work.
>>
>>8987079
Taking care of it.
>>
>>8987079
Although this is obviously BS and that girl should be called out, anyone else find it funny the admin is stepping in but when that girl sold those acrylic charms that were pokemon sprite rips the aani admin was like "oh this is not a place for judging work" and told people to buzz off despite it being the same situation?
>>
>>8986374
>who ever physically claims a table first
What the fuck
is this a first year con or something? That's ridiculous and is just asking for shit to happen.

Also, what's with this chick in AANI going into threads and lecturing people about selling fanart? I've only seen her in a few threads, but it seems like people selling fanart at fan conventions is pointless to complain about.

>>8987108
If she's still selling it, I think if someone tips off Toby he can contact Redbubble and have the shirt taken down.
>>
>>8987154
>Also, what's with this chick in AANI going into threads and lecturing people about selling fanart?

She salty because noone likes her boring ass comics.
>>
>>8987169
Really? I saw her going on about how if you market yourself right, your original art can make you money, so I assumed she was doing well...
>>
Anyone else a bit wary of that girl selling the prop guns, even if they are "kawaii" and deco. What good is a kawaii prop gun going to do anyway?
>>
File: wtf.png (2 MB, 1074x1351) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
2 MB, 1074x1351
>>8987079
I guess her husband is a thief and that makes it okay too
>>
>>8987212
>pixel art
>art
>that you designed on your own
She doesn't know the difference between pixel art and sprite rips.
>>
>>8987169
this art is so ugly no wonder she's salty about fanart
>>
>>8987154
>What the fuck
>is this a first year con or something? That's ridiculous and is just asking for shit to happen.

Exactly my first reaction. It makes literally no sense to run a artist alley like that. Its not just this furry con either, I know of one other furry con that does that too.

I just looked at several more furry sites, and this is very common with their artist alleys. Here is an example of what they say

>Artists Alley sign-ups will take place each morning outside the artist alley
>Please note that having a seat one day does not guarantee a seat the next. Seats may not be "reserved" from one day to the next by leaving belongings or signs.

I just don't get it.
>>
>>8987224
I guess they want it to be competitive in a literal sense.
Whoever made that rule isn't an artist/vendor, clearly.
>>
>>8987224
That's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever hear in regards to AA. They're not going to get out of town artists because they won't be able to guarantee their table will still be there tomorrow. How much do they charge for table space per day? Is this some kind of "we want everyone to have a chance :C" shit or what?
>>
>>8987212

I thought it was implied that tracing ANY art isn't okay? Does she seriously not know that you can't just trace something and sell it?

>>8987260

Just seems like it would create chaos and then people won't want to participate in AA because they can't guarantee a table. I wonder how they get vendors at all.
>>
>>8987260
They mainly charge around $10 a day (some also charge a 5 to 15% fee on your profits). My guess is that its just meant for casual artists that just do commissions at cons? Idk.
The dealers room is normal. Only difference is you have to, for some reason, buy both an attendee, then a dealer table ticket. Idk why the dealer table doesn't include a ticket like every other con.
But yea, if you want a guaranteed spot, you gotta go for a dealer's table.
>>
>>8987154
>>8987224

It's pretty much this >>8987350. Dealers are more like our usual artist alley since with furries they're not really a specific fandom crowd (like comics at a comic con or figs at anime cons). They're furries, they're looking for commissions of their fursonas. So their artist alley could be for people who are regular attendees and just want to set up shop for a day.

The attendee + dealer ticket is ridiculous though.
>>
Anyone attending Akin this year? It will be my first time and I'm just wondering how the set up works. Their page says the alley will be open to public on Thurs from 6-9pm. Do a lot of people usually show up on Thurs?

Thanks!
>>
>>8987389
Sorry meant Akon
>>
>>8987389
There's a pretty decent amount of people who wander through on Thursday because there's nothing else to do. I would recommend setting up ASAP, spending the time after the room closes (they're usually open till about midnight for artists), or just waiting until Friday morning. My #1 AA pet peeve is it's really irritating to me to try to be setting up and people are stepping over my stuff that is in my own little bubble or getting physically in my way to look at my stuff while I'm trying to get it out of suitcases.
>>
>>8987389

First time tabling in AA at A-kon, too. They seem to give decent time to set up before AA opens on Thursday, and I'm taking the whole day off so I can make sure everything is packed for the weekend.

>>8987412

I thought if you didn't set up Thursday they would give your table away? I've heard rumors that you can get a table in person, but wasn't sure if that started Thursday or Friday.
>>
>>8987497
You have to be checked in by noon on Friday or your table is forfeited. If you're going to be late for some reason and you let them know in advance they won't give it away. I would say a good half of the artists there don't set up until Friday morning.
>>
>>8987175
i bet she's one of those people who don't realize you can make more than $100 profit from an artist alley table

I laughed at the comment about 'illegal activity'. Like you're part of an artist alley group with 8k members, a LARGE portion of which do fanart. I really wish she'd made a thread like she said she was going to, instead of circlejerking with a bunch of other bitter original artists in the comments of some other post, that would've been funny.

It was pretty rude to go after that one girl, though.

>>8987212
the SU gems are also direct rips from the show

>>8986374
jeeze... bad idea to travel for a furry con, then! It would suck to transport all your stock and then miss out on 'claiming' a table...
>>
>This, coming from someone who only draws one body type, one hair type, and one face type.

Ok.
>>
>>8988151
Why do the mods allow her to do this shit? I don't even think her art is inherently bad or whatever, but there's being honest and there's being rude and I've seen her do the latter more than once.
>>
>>8988151
She doesn't stray too far from what she's comfortable with when she does draw but she's right. Jessa comes across as a bit ignorant but Paige didn't need to keep on commenting if she thought it was dumb.
>>
>>8988151
Is this about the hentai refs that were posted today because I saved that shit asap.

damn paige just because you draw people that no one would ever want to fuck doesn't mean other people don't want to learn how to draw characters fucking. Is it because all the ref models were skinny and not body positive? What is your deal
>>
>>8988180
It looks like she was mad that NAKED GIRLS were posted in the group and found something else to whine about and justify her complaining when a mod stepped in and said it was okay.
>>
File: pleasestop.png (12 KB, 426x140) Image search: [Google]
pleasestop.png
12 KB, 426x140
>>8988151
Personally, I was much more rustled at her trying to blame Japan's negative population growth on what she perceives as an unhealthy view of sex. The problem is so much bigger than hentai about shy, skinny girls peeing on octopuses and getting fucked by multiple men at once in a maid costume...and it's nowhere near as much of a contributing factor as the fact that it's much more socially acceptable in Japan for a woman to get an education and choose to not be in a relationship/start a family if she doesn't want to (which is something you'd think someone like Paige would be celebrating...but I guess since it doesn't give her any ammunition to be angry at images of skinny people having sex, why would she care??)
Honestly I don't even know why she tried to bring it up, their negative population growth is primarily a result of economic distress, not tentacle porn. I'm just so fucking mad.
>>
Japanese government does not give enough maternity options for women. It limits their occupational choices. Nothing to do with anything paige says.
>>
>>8988188
She's literally just trying to find ways to justify being pissed off over nothing. "W-well, you should learn to draw from life!" "This is why Japan's population in low!"

She's being rude and I don't know why the mods continually allow her to get away with doing so. I'm so sick of white girls like her who have probably never even been to Japan screaming about shit like they know ALL ABOUT Japanese society and its problems.
>>
>>8988195
I'd like to see her growing up as a white girl in Japan, then she might have a reason to be/ oppressed/bitch.

But yeah, she's really rude. Why did she need to drag that on for so long? What's that saying go like?

You can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink?

There's also that other saying:

Arguing over the internet is retarded.
>>
In the morning, I call my state's department of revenue services to try to settle an issue I am afraid will be unsettleable. I am terrified and can't sleep.

>be new to selling shit in AAs
>receive notice from the state that I owe $1000 in estimated taxes
>I didn't even sell that much, wtf how can I owe that much on unpaid sales tax?
>freak out, call DRS
>rep tells me I just need to file my taxes, because I am supposed to do that every month regardless of whether I earn money that month
>rep says the estimated tax bill will go away once I properly pay and file
>all right, my bad
>go online, file and pay
>actually only owe like $50
>well, that was easy to fix

>fast forward to this Friday
>check bank account
>THE STATE HAS WITHDRAWN 1,300 DOLLARS BECAUSE OF A "TAX WARRANT"
>too late in the day to call, do mad internet research
>apparently I was supposed to dispute the estimated taxes IN WRITING in order for the bill to go away
>even though I paid online a month ago

What the fuck is this shit?! The government has literally robbed me. When I go into my online account with the DRS, it shows all my monthly sales and use taxes as filed. I am afraid I might need a lawyer to fight this, because I am looking at the paperwork needed to dispute the estimated bill and I don't understand where to start. Especially since I paid the ACTUAL ($50) bill fucking WEEKS ago. I am scared and I can't afford a lawyer and I need that fucking money back, but I might be legally unable to navigate this shit.

I hope when I call and explain that this time, the rep I speak to won't lie to me. I was told the "estimated taxes" bill would just go away when I filed and paid. How did following those simple instructions turn to a loss of over a grand of my money??

>mfw can no longer pay rent or anything else this month till next paycheck
>>
>>8988202
Holy shit, which state was this? AL?
>>
>>8988202
Shit, what state are you in? This is insane.
>>
>>8988202
This exact same thing actually happened to me last year with the TX Comptroller, over me not filing after I had already cancelled my license. Same amount as well. The worst part was that I didn't even receive the letter until after the deadline for disputing the fine.

It took a couple days of calling, but I got everything sorted out and my money returned, even though it was technically past the date. Hopefully everything works out- it wasn't a super difficult process, it just took a whIle because they were awful and didnt have a call line queue- if they were busy you just had to call back later.

Just calmly explain what happened, and hopefully it'll get sorted out. Best of luck.
>>
>>8988151
Paige always comes off as an confrontational bitch. Even when she has good arguments the way she lays them out and the tone of her posts is always this nasty superior "I'M RIGHT BUT OKAY HUN IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU WANT TO STAY STUPID THAT'S FINE DEAR MMKAY SOOOOO...."

Jesus I just want to punch her in the tit.
>>
>>8988263
thank you for phrasing this way better than i could. even when she's right, i can't help but want to disagree with her because she's so self righteous and hostile-y judgemental.
>>
>>8988263
This is exactly the problem I have with the way she says things. Like >>8988160 said, there's being honest and there's being rude. Even with the person who posted those traced Undertale sprites; as stupid as that shit was Paige barging in with "I TOLD YOU LAST TIME, SO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS WRONG" bullshit was just her being rude and patronizing.
>>
>>8988188
Has she ever see that one old woodblock of a woman fucking miscellaneous sea animals? I would love to hear her opinions on the Japanese birth rate lowering in the early 1800s due to them suddenly discovering the urge to fuck their food. Or maybe it's fine because they're Japanese sea animals, not appropriated power-fantasy ones. Either way I'm sure she could find a suitably stupid way to backpedal.
>>
>>8988260
I'm in TX and now I'm terrified. What do you need to do to avoid this nightmare? I file my taxes quarterly even when I don't make any sales. Is that enough or is there something I'm missing?
>>
So I have a question in relation to having an online store. I want to set one up but I have no clue what the best play to do that is? I've heard there's storenvy and even etsy, but which is better?
>>
>>8988625
That's all you have to do. I forgot to do mine and got fined too but when i called them they were able to even reverse the late fee (along with the estimated cost being too high) when i didn't ask for the late fee to be reversed. (since it was my fault)
>>
>>8987169
I've seen these people so many times, they are at every normal convention I've been to and I've never seen anyone buy anything from them. They also do panels about drawing manga or something like that.
>>
>>8988634
Its just personal preference really. Just look at the shops on each website and see which you like better and which website you think is designed better. I chose etsy and I recommend it.
>>
>>8986374
It's because furry cons are mainly commissions based so they don't expect people to bring a lot of premade stock. They want to rotate artists so theres more variety to commission. As an attendee, the AA won't offer you anything after your first day of commissioning if all the artists are the same.

It makes sense if you consider how furry art community functions.
>>
Any seagulls wanna take my Indy Pop Con table? It's a really solid show in Indianapolis- Weekend of June 18th. I made a decent profit despite flying in from CA. I'll ask you to sell a couple of things for me (mostly smaller stuff, no prints) but other than that, the table will be all yours.

Wanted to offer it to seagulls first before trying AANI.
>>
>>8988823
I forgot how OC-based they are.
Surely some of them would like fanart of a pre-established series though.
>>
>>8988669
Got it, thanks anon. The other anon's post scared the shit out if me lol.
>>
>>8988634
Etsy and storenvy are the two that I use; I've also heard tictail is good but I've never used it.

I do have to say, I'm finding I much prefer Etsy. I set up my Storenvy about a year ago, but basically I only make sales when I advertise it on my tumblr/twitter/blog.

Etsy I set up about a month ago, with the exact same content, descriptions, and prices as my Storenvy. I tag the shit out of everything (as the tagging system allows for more/better tagging than Storenvy's), and at this point have made almost as many sales on my Etsy that's been open for a month as my Storenvy that's been open for a year.

The main benefit to Storenvy I think is that it's easier to customize the storefront, and there's no upfront cost to post listings (as opposed to Etsy's $0.20 cost per listing, which is honestly very affordable).
>>
What do you guys think makes for a good (fan)zine? I've seen friends try organize them with some having less then good sales, or not even making back costs of manufacturing everything.

Personally I think it's not only the quality that matters but also the style, like yes someone's madoka magica art might be good technically but the style really is far from your average anime one. Which wouldn't be bad if the zine wasn't filled with everything from the most tumblr-y art to pretty good (even if a bit generic) anime art.

Or will just making sure your artists all have decent following do the trick?
>>
>>8989180
Depends on what you think is "good sales". Some fandoms are too niche and others are too popular with too much competition. That said I've been in several artbooks and zines, both invited w artists with huge followings and with my friends who have a variety of styles/skill levels and not much internet presence, and we've never not made back the costs of manufacturing, even with extras like stickers, charms etc. Visibility, organization and presentation are way more important to a zine's success imo.
I know everyone hates tumblr for some reason but it's really easy to get your zine noticed there because fandoms will reblog and do your advertising for you. Just make a neat, organized tumblr for your project where you can answer any questions ppl have and update your customers on the status of orders. Have your artists post previews, reblog them and get people hype. Make the wait/preorder time as short as possible and order extras because once they start arriving you will get requests for those... or ppl's packages won't arrive and you'll need to replace them. These are obvious but having good customer service is important.
You will get a reputation for running projects well, so do a good job and you'll have a much better chance of inviting more well-known artists next time. I only join zines/artbooks where my friends can vouch for the ppl in charge.
>>
>>8989224
Good points! Also with tumblr I didn't mean the site because that's all fine with me but the generic tumblr style (think skintones that are several shades darker for no reason, everyone is fat etc)
>>
>>8989180
If you're selling only online then yes, generally you need at least one or two some what popular artists. Quality of course matters, if your previews are all so-so no one will want it. Generally don't just let anyone in, think about what you'd want to buy? I know someone did a tokyo ghoul zine here months ago and some of the art was frankly embarassing, it was no surprise they were not picking up steam at all.

Aside from that, selling zines at actual conventions seem to do better. I've only organized like 2 (working on a 3rd) though, and even without selling online conventions should make up for the cost more than enough.
>>
>>8989180
following what others say, have a jury process. if you're too nice to turn people down directly get someone else to do it. If someone gets mad they were declined ignore them, don't try and defend your decision.
I personally like it when zines have a huge range of style? it's meant to be like a fandom showcase, right?

also promotion and the enticement of potential future rewards. I like it when zines have stretch goals for extra goodies (like stickers or mini prints or such), and i'm more likely to share it if so.
>>
>>8988202 here, thanks for the support everyone. I called and after being on the phone forever got connected to the audit department where a condescending woman fixed the issue, said my money would be refunded, and I would receive the "real" penalty bill in the mail. I tried to say I already paid the penalty but she insisted I didn't pay enough. Whatever, we will see how it goes.

Moral of the story:

>File on time
>Call the right people as soon as something seems weird
>>
Welp got my AnimeNEXT acceptance email now that I'm locked in for a different con that weekend.

>anext is only an hour from my house
>other con is a 7 hour road trip
>fuck
>>
>>8989816
Sell your table to another person?
>>
>>8988634
I got way more traffic with etsy compared to storenvy. I have both open, and with basically no promotion, I make a few sales on etsy each week but none on storenvy yet.
>>
>>8989832
That's basically what I'm planning on now- are you interested, anon?

I just that I wish AnimeNEXT had emailed me a little bit sooner; having heard nothing from them I assumed I was out.
>>
>>8989841
It might be helpful to know which con you're talking about.
>>
>>8989846
I'm sorry, I should have clarified- I'm interested in selling the AnimeNEXT table. I'm in such a way that I really can't back out of the other con.
>>
>>8989875
Not the anon you're replying to, but I'd be interested in taking the ANext table off your hands! Email's in the field!
>>
Are you supposed to price OC stuff cheaper than fanart stuff? I have an original sticker pack of 12 cutesy animals that I sell for $10. I also have a fanart sticker pack of 12 that I also sell for $10. Is my original sticker pack too expensive? I think $10 is fair but I wonder who would even consider buying original stickers for $10.
>>
>>8989875
Ah, ANext is too far for me. >>8989947 seems interested so feel more than free to discuss things with them.
>>
>>8990647
I think it's fine!
I've bought original prints before for much cheaper than same-size fanart prints, but I honestly think the artist was underselling themselves. I would've paid more, their stuff was nice.
General stuff like cutesy animals should sell easily, don't worry.
>>
>>8990685
Thanks anon!! I'll sell them for $10 and hope they do well!
>>
>>8990647
I don't think it should be cheaper, but you won't sell as much OC stuff as fanart stuff at a con so just bring less of it. If you want to sell as much OC as fanart, then yes, price it lower, but in my opinion, it just makes it look as though you're overpricing your non-discounted items.
>>
>>8990694
Yeah that might make it look like I'm overpricing the fanart stuff. I'll just bring like 5 sets and see how it goes. Thanks!
>>
>>8988202
wow...didn't think there was some clause in a biz tax form that allows them instant access to your bank account.

I'm first time filing as a llc, at worst I'd would expect some mail informing me of a discrepency or missing info/filing.
>>
Anyone have recommendations on who to order custom patches from? Sorta like these with different shapes and whatnot. Embroidered or not.
>>
How long does artsmoo usually take to print/ship out orders? I placed one on Monday last week and it still says "Processing". Worried it won't arrive in time for my July cons...
>>
AnimeNext anon, I sent you a response email if you didn't see!
>>
How long has your correspondence with Coco from Vograce been taking recently? The last time I ordered from her she was quite prompt but I messaged her about a pricing inquiry days ago and have yet to hear back.
>>
>>8990945
she's on vacation rn
>>
>>8990959

Ah, that makes sense! Thank you, kind anon.
>>
>>8990896
I live in Australia and ArtsMoo orders usually get to me in about a month total (processing + shipping). Occasionally processing takes longer for certain items when there's popular coupons, but you should have received a warning at the checkout if this was the case (and whenever I've gotten this warning, it's still taken about the same amount of time as usual anyway).
>>
>>8990980
Thanks anon, I appreciate it. I'll just pray it gets shipped out soon and arrives exactly when I need it to.
>>
>>8990959
glad to know this too. I was wondering why she wasn't emailing back!
>>
File: CdW1jowUMAALOsX.jpg (86 KB, 600x782) Image search: [Google]
CdW1jowUMAALOsX.jpg
86 KB, 600x782
How do I tell someone that they probably shouldn't focus much on getting artist alley tables to sell their artwork? Pic related
I'm normally not someone to criticize someone's artwork or style, but.....
She's 19 btw..
>>
>>8991229
>Is that...
>squints
>It's fucking lined paper.
Has she ever been to an artist alley? Maybe seeing one would allow her to put her own skills into perspective.
>>
File: Cc4u-S7VIAAbtlD.jpg (84 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Cc4u-S7VIAAbtlD.jpg
84 KB, 600x800
>>8991240
She has had a table at two conventions and attended a few decently large conventions, so she knows. I think her mom is pushing her and telling her her art is amazing.
>>
>>8991229
The only thing you can do is wait until she asks, unless you wanna look like a dbag. Sucks, I know.
>>
>>8991245
Well if they've already been to cons and they still want to do it with that art then just let them anon. No point in spoiling your friendship over it. How did she do tabling at the two before? If you really want her to improve suggest she take a community art class or something where she'll be forced to draw from live models instead of copying anime art. She can still doodle inuyasha all she wants but the life drawing will help.
>>
>>8991229
>>8991245
Haha tell her to make shirts. That shit might actually do really well because people will think it's ironic but she'll be happy because it's actually her "serious" art and won't know better.
>>
>>8991229
think of it as less competition? some people don't sell at artist alleys to make money, rather to show off their work etc
>>
Has anyone here ever used Stickittome Stickers? They were recommended to me by someone who used them before and I was seduced by the low prices/quantities, but I didn't get a lot of details out of the person who used them, and now the order is in process and I'm getting weird vibes. Anyone have good or bad experience?
>>
>>8991245
Seconding >>8991248. If she has already tabled at two cons and wants to go back (and is financially able to), then it's her own thing. You could link her tutoriels and stuff, or like other anon said, send her to class.
>>
>>8990959
Yep, I just got an email from her tonight, so she's back!
>>
>>8990867

There is a patch seller on etsy called Cuddle Turtle that I ordered from. They did pretty nice work.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CuddleTurtle
>>
>>8991320
I have, I ordered sticker sheets because they were the only ones I could find who did low quantities.
The paper quality is nice but the print quality is a little bit grainy. Also, I supplied my designs with bleed as instructed but ended up with white on the edges and even a little bit of the next design over. Non-art friends tell me no one will notice but I think they were pretty sloppy with cutting the sheets.

It's good for the price though. You really can't beat their low MOQ/prices.
>>
>>8991245
Just curious, did she make any profit? If she's already tabled before, I say just let her be. She'll evetually improve if she keeps drawing. Hopefully.
>>
So map for Akon came out yesterday. I am nestled in the middle. It will be my first time there and I'm not sure what to expect - with the way the map is laid out, how much does your table location matter? Do people usually make their way around the whole room?

With other cons I found that certain locations do better.
>>
>>8991735

I ended up right in front of the AA entrance, I think. Whenever I go to AA, I personally walk the AA the whole way over at least once before I really buy anything. I do feel like being in the back is a slight disadvantage, but if you're in the middle you'll probably get traffic that goes straight through to get to the Dealer's entrances, so you should still be okay, but this is my first time tabling there so maybe I'm wrong.
>>
>>8991735
Generally corner-tables and tables at the front get the most traffic.
Middle should be decent, though.
>>
>>8989841
Hi! If you're still selling the table I'm interested too!
>>
>>8991746
I also ended up in island A on the side facing the entrance! It'll be cool to check out other seagulls there.

>>8991808
This is good to hear. I actually get really nervous about being in the very first row/island and prefer being in the middle. I'm glad the front gets traffic at Akon! I know at some other cons the very front row gets completely overlooked.

>>8991894
Sorry anon. If you're talking about the ANext table, I bought it from the ANext anon already.
>>
>>8990896
Give it at least a month.
>>
I'm planning to make some little Eeveelotuion plushies for a con over the summer, maybe around Beanie Baby sized. I have no idea what kind of price I should be trying to sell them for if I end up making some, anyone have tips for selling plush?
>>
>>8992216
For plush, consider the material costs, the cost of labor (time and complication of design/pattern) and also do a little research as to typical prices for plush similar to yours by looking on Etsy or checking out other plush artists. Don't undersell yourself but try to also keep your prices fair for your skill level.
>>
>>8992216
do you have any sorts of similar plushies you made in the past? it's not so easy to tell without reference pic of your skill/detail level i guess
>>
File: mew2.jpg (173 KB, 1020x706) Image search: [Google]
mew2.jpg
173 KB, 1020x706
I normally share a table with someone at conventions, never had my own but thinking about it, should I? I'm hesitant to dish out the $275/$375 and not break even. I do sometimes just manage to break even, particularly the more recent cons. I take up 30% of the table/wall as-is.

I only do A4 prints at this point but would be willing to learn how to make other things. Pokemon, animals, dragons and my main thing but truth be told I need to make a lot more. Pic related is my main seller right now at $5 for A4.
>>
>>8991746
>>8992039
Neat, I'm on island A as well, but on the back side.

>>8991735
I'm sure certain locations will do better than others, but honestly, A-kon is such a moderately sized artist alley for their attendance that it is not as much of an issue.

In addition, attendees have to go through the artist alley in order to get to the dealer's hall. The guests are in the back as well. The flow of traffic should be pretty decent all around, and it's a small enough alley that most people will get around to every island.
>>
Is there a good method for picking what would make a worthwhile print from art you already have? Like stuff you didn't start with the intention of printing but figure hey it looks decent enough to sell. I'm determined to table next year for the first time and know I need to make more print-worthy stuff, but to save time and energy I figure some of what I've got might be worth something.
>>
File: 604.png (30 KB, 381x205) Image search: [Google]
604.png
30 KB, 381x205
>>8992554
>mfw you're the table in front of me
I'm surrounded by really good artists this year.

A-kon usually gets a heavy flow of traffic throughout the AA, except for the last island which the room seems really barren of traffic. Guests are back there this year so maybe it won't be so bad for anyone who ended up in that direction.
>>
>>8992478
You can charge more for an A4 print. I usually sell my A4 size stuff for at least $10. Aside from how much you have, you probably need to charge more.
>>
>>8992554
Yeah, I saw you on the map! We met briefly at WonderCon I think? It'd be cool to see you again.
>>
>>8992478
This is adorable, and $5 is totally a steal, especially for an A4. You should be charging at least $10, like the other person said, if not $15. This is seriously cute, and if all your stuff is like this, I could see you doing really good sales. What kind of paper do you have it printed on? Photo quality?

As for going for a full table, it really just depends. How many prints do you have? You should probably have at least 10 different designs that reach a variety of audiences. What sort of convention would you be selling at? How big is it in attendees, and what are their interests? Are your prints popular with said attendees? Are there a lot of other print artists at the con? Do prints seem to sell well there?

I know I personally shared tables until I as able to get enough different things to sell to have a full table, and then from there never had problems. In the end, it really just depends. You have to try things out in order to get a feel for the individual con, city, and audience your work is for, and after a while you just know.
>>
>>8992968

I don't have a lot of prints of the quality right now, it's sub-10. I definitely want to do more of that theme. Maybe legendary pokemon first and then some other games/cute animals.

I'm thinking of my own table at Supanova (Australia) which is one of the biggest ones at least in Aus, considering this, most other people's A4's usually go for around $5 but I will definitely reconsider my prices soon.

The prints themselves are printed at Officeworks, 200gsm with gloss (as of late), though I was thinking of going without gloss again since it's about 80c more and honestly it's not a massive jump in difference from my non-gloss (the gloss also makes it slightly yellowish). I can't keep dishing out $50-$100 on printing right before a con where I will be staying at local accommodation and may need to pay for more things (that being said, I suppose printing earlier in the year would be more wise of me).
>>
>>8992988
$5AUD as the norm? Wow. I was thinking you were talking USD, too. I almost don't want to believe that the average price for a print of that size is $5AUD, because that is seriously too low for any print artist. Most American artists have those sizes for at least $10USD, if not $15. I'll say this: You have to put a price on a work as your own, and not match to the prices around you. If you work is up to par, people will still buy it, no matter if it's $5 or $10. If you're not making table, obviously something is wrong, and I think it's a pricing issue, personally, with just the single example of your work.

I'd definitely recommend doing a few more designs, especially popular fan art pandering ones. Some things just will sell, no matter what, and Pokemon (like Mew) usually always does. Eeveelutions are always a good seller, too. I usually like to reference /r/pokemon's top flair list (http://pastebin.com/X9AEdj5Q) to see what sort of pokemon I should be doing (Gengar, Charizard, Umbreon...) if I ever can't think of what to do.

I'm not sure of Aus printing places or anything, but definitely if the gloss isn't doing anything, don't buy it. If you're only charging $5, 80c worth is already cutting your base to only $4.20, which isn't even including the rest of the printing price or the cost of the table, or how long it took to make the print... And definitely printing a little earlier can maybe help out with prices, too.
>>
>>8992988
..Which city are you going to, anon? Brisnova/GCNova are usually $10-15 for A4 prints. Sometimes $20.

$5 is standard for like, postcards.
>>
File: 1444297724474.png (331 KB, 436x487) Image search: [Google]
1444297724474.png
331 KB, 436x487
I've sold at a table twice, and when i make a cash float, I always run out of change and end up running to other tables to ask for smaller/bigger change.

I was wondering how much money you guys put in a float, and what coins/notes.
>>
>>8992988
I've sold at a few cons, and usually $10AUD is the norm for A4 art?

Also I'd steer away from officeworks IMO, since their quality isn't constant.
>>
>>8992478
That's super cute, anon! Do you have an art site/twitter?
>>
>>8993065
>>8993074

I looked at a few stalls in terms of prices for A4 prints but not a huge amount; perhaps I was looking at the wrong ones to base my assumptions.

I'll definitely reflect on my pricing for the next convention; I won't want to steer people away but my main goal now is to do better than breaking even.

Also my art is at --> flyingratt.tumblr.com
Thanks for the interest as well as all the advice

>>8993124

If you could suggest a cheap alternative I would be extremely grateful.
>>
>>8993121
I've only done one big con and a lot of small ones but I usually use $200 in change and I've never had to ask from other artists, I've even been able to provide change for neighbors when they needed some. I cut it in about 50 in ones, 60 in 5's, 50 in 10's and 40 in 20s
>>
>>8993139
Eh, it depends which state you live in. If you can find a nice small printing place that as a good price, that's usually pretty good.

I've used kwikkopy and snap printing, they're both pretty good. I kwikkopy myself.

Just look around for printing places in your area and ask for quotes and ask for samples of their printing
>>
>>8993153
>I like kwikkopy myself

I can't type for shit but hopefully you know what I meant in that post
>>
>>8993139
Just have to say I love your work. Please charge more, I'm begging you! It's seriously amazing, especially your original works & commissions.
>>
>>8991521
Did they deliver to you on time? The reason I'm worried is that I ordered early but they appear to be taking longer, since I made the mistake of telling them the date of the con... But I don't want to be pushy and keep emailing them for updates, since I still have a lot of time before the con. I was hoping to have an extra week or so to package them, and also if I get them super last minute and there is a mistake or the quality is too low then I won't have time to order different ones... I'm too used to working with professionals who don't interpret an "absolutely must have by and if you can't do it tell me now so I can go with someone else" date as the actual deadline.
>>
>>8993223
I told them I was in a bit of a hurry. They shipped within a few days and it took another week to get to me (Europe). I'd send them a message to clarify you'd appreciate them sending your order sooner rather than later. They seem like nice people, I'm sure they won't mind.
>>
>>8993124
desu i think 10AUD is crazy exp especially for an A4 print... unless the paper/print quality is really good
>>
>>8993255
Desu stop devaluing the work of artists.
>>
>>8993255
you sound rly young/new if you think 10AUD is expensive for a print. you're paying for the image, not just the paper it's printed on, dumbass.
>>
did anyone happen to screencap paige's response to the (now deleted) matsu icecream print? I think it kind of perfectly encapsulated what annoys me about everything she says. She's not wrong, but she sounds so smug and patronizingly and passive aggressively makes the person out to be lying/wrong because she's so certain she's right.
>>
>>8993256
>knows a lot of artists that trade in Aus. I have also traded myself.

I'm just throwing out my opinion here no need to get your nickers in a knot.

I have seen $15 A4 prints done on cartridge paper and if artists arent going to invest in better quality prints then why tell this anon, who wants to print at officeworks to price their stuff at 10?
>>
Quick question does Vograce do semi-transparent sections on their clear acrylic charms? I want to do some charms with water on them.
>>
>>8993276

I definitely don't "want" to print at officeworks and am open to suggestions of other printing places, officeworks is just the main place I know where other artist alley folk have said they get theirs. I don't really know any other places that would be good for cheap and decent quality.
>>
>>8993285
I wasn't targeting you specifically I was just saying that the other anons make it sound like I'm being an ass by undermining peoples work.

I know that prints take a lot of hard work and effort but I find that print quality has just as important a part in justifying the pricing of your prints.

If you do chose to print at officeworks id say 6-8 would be more reasonable. As for other places to print finding local printing places would be a good option.
>>
>>8993288
you are being an ass though? people can price at whatever price point they want, and it's rude to imply that they shouldn't because of something as stupid as the quality of shredded tree they print on. I would say physical quality of the paper/ink is maybe 20% of the contribution to the final price.
>>
File: 1459212635753.jpg (11 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1459212635753.jpg
11 KB, 240x240
>>8993291
It doesn't stop you from pricing your prints at $15. I'm just putting my opinion out there. In the end its up to you I'm not the pricing police.
>>
>>8993288
What's it matter where they print if the paper and quality of the print is fine?? 200gsm is like 100lb cover or 100+lb text isn't it? That's more than adequate.

Further more idk about you australians but in the US chain stores like office depot and staples actually cost MORE to print than legit printer places so you actually lose money printing there. Telling them they should charge even less is ridiculous.
>>
>>8993261
I missed that thread. Drama summary?
>>
>>8993335
wasn't much drama, just someone mashing photos (looked like stock photos) together and drawing over them, which paige pointed out in her typical obnoxious fashion. Or well, she didn't really point it out, but made it out like wow, if those aren't photos your rendering skills must be seriously impressive ~ :) :) :) can I see close ups?
>>
>>8991894
Sorry anon- I already sold it to >>8989947 !
>>
>>8993348
Can't help but think if it were anyone else you would be rooting for her tearing down someone who was tracing/stealing art. Can't you take this shit to lolcow or something?
>>
has anybody had any experience ordering buttons from CheapestButtonsNet on etsy? if you have, what were your order/shipping times like? and quality of the buttons? thanks!
>>
>>8993443
not that anon, but if we didn't bitch about people on AANI these threads would be dead (except for the billionth repetition of questions such as "where can I get charms made?" " how many copies of prints/buttons/whatever should I bring to my first con?!" "where do people get their printed pouches from?" and the all time favorite "how do I order from vograce? i'm too lazy to read the OP, so spoonfed me!")

Paige/thumbcramps hate is kind of boring though. If she didn't have the "draw more diverse women! like me, drawing the exact same fat woman with the exact same face in every single one of my pieces!" preachiness going on people would just ignore her.
>>
>>8993491

I've bought from his website, but not his Etsy. Just order through his website, honestly. It's super easy and I've never had an issue with their service.

Buttons can come out slightly dark, so just keep it in mind on your darker colors. Make sure you give them a deadline that is a few days before you really need it. If you need it May 25, you will get it May 25 and no sooner. So if you really do need it sooner for whatever reason, give the date you want it in hand, not your last possible date.
>>
>>8993279
They do.
>>
File: 1443045256732.jpg (56 KB, 603x464) Image search: [Google]
1443045256732.jpg
56 KB, 603x464
>>8993501
>"draw more diverse women! like me, drawing the exact same fat woman with the exact same face in every single one of my pieces!"
Goddd this bothers me so much. It's the same face in EVERY single drawing she does. Same eyes, same nose, same mouth, same face shape...It's not that hard to draw a different face every now and then, jesus christ.
>>
>>8993501
>>8993602

Aside from that Paige is just generally rude and condescending, even when she's right. I'm sure she's probably a nice person overall, but just from what I've seen of her comments in AANI the second she sees something she disagrees with she gets really obnoxious.
>>
>>8993348
I know the artist in question and she did actually draw/render everything. It was just a super weird clash because she had stylized fruit in there as well as realistic fruit so it looked like she just drew over stock photos.
>>
>>8993667
damn. As someone who's a fan of Matsus AND ice cream I wanna see this print.
>>
skimlines is losing it
>>
>>8993950
What happened? I recognize her name because her pottery stuff is nice.
>>
>>8993602
>>8993656
>>8993348
>Everyone is too afraid to call out some obnoxious hypocritical bitch because reasons.

Does anybody still have that collage of like 10 of her sameface pieces, ugly alt mermaid included?
I don't care if I get banned.
>>
>>8993950
Elaborate?
>>
>>8993253
Thanks! I've already emailed them a lot so I didn't want to turn into a clientsfromhell situation, but yeah I guess it can't hurt to message again.
>>
>>8993950
Are you referring to her twitter, where she's all "my ideas are too Asian for America"?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.