[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help thread!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 91
File: 72979_front.jpg (859 KB, 1355x1565) Image search: [Google]
72979_front.jpg
859 KB, 1355x1565
Last one saging
>>
Ill try again.

Any tips on how to style a fur hood? The demos Ive found only talk about how to add fur to things. Or how to style fur in general?
>>
File: image.jpg (181 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181 KB, 800x534
>>8981619
Dropped my picture like a dumb-dumb.
>>
I'm cosplaying Nina from FEif and I'm not sure what I want to do for the striped pants/leggings. I have some white and black striped leggings that I can dye so that the white instead is grey, but my only gripe is that I don't like how the stripes aren't continuous on leggings since you have to cut the striped fabric and the lines along the seam don't line up. I wanted to use striped tights instead, since the stripes are continuous, but the only true opaque black and white striped tights that I could I found have really wide stripes that I'm not a fan of. Another option I was considering was wearing those tights that have opaque black and translucent black stripes like in pic related, and wearing black or dark grey tights under that. What do you gulls think I should do?
>just make leggings using the striped fabric
>dye the opaque tights even though the stripes are really wide
>wear opaque tights under translucent striped tights
Sorry for the shitty edit.
>>
Just started covering my foam sword in Bondo. Never done this before. About how thick should I make it before I sand? I'm gonna follow it up with Plasti-Dip spray.
>>
File: ribbedtights.jpg (10 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ribbedtights.jpg
10 KB, 500x500
>>8981640
The impression I get from the tights is that they're supposed to be ribbed, not stripes. Something like this. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2255217/apt-9-modern-essentails-plush-ribbed-tights.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=HOSIERY%20%26%20LEGGINGS&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=99764010&CID=shopping15&gclid=CjwKEAjwxoG5BRCC7ezlzNmR8HUSJAAre36jj9vKOacCZ3nuzL011l2cwD1Mj5SmFx63Z2i2Lov9EhoC0Azw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKbKmYbpr8wCFUcFDAodwTwCRA
>>
>>8981723
You don't want it thick, you apply it in thin coats as needed and sand in between each coat. If you don't you'll never get it smooth.
>>
My history was wiped and I cannot remember names.

Does anyone have any links to custom lolita shoes? Decent quality of course. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
File: feelsad.jpg (35 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
feelsad.jpg
35 KB, 300x360
>>8981551
My mom doesn't use liquid fabric softener, and neither do any of my friends.
>>
>>8982280
Then go buy some. It doesn't cost more than $10 for a jug and you can use the rest for normal clothes.
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 394x607) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 394x607
I'm cosplaying as Takumi this year and I need to get a wig soon since AX is fast approaching. What wigs would you recommend /cgl/?
>>
>>8982277
antaina is the one you're probably thinking of, check the taobao thread

>>8982280
you sound too young to be here or a manchild
>>
So, I'll be cosplaying Claude from Concrete Revolutio. His outfit under the cap is a jumpsuit/coverall, but with a turtle neck. Anyone know of any terms I can use to find something similar, or an existing character that has a plain back coverall with a turtle neck?
>>
Can I wear the same cosplay for two days, or is that socially unacceptable?
>>
>>8982554
Provided you shower each day, and change all undergarments, and possibly do a quick hand wash or at the very least fabreeze your costume beforehand, it's fine.
>>
File: MewIchigo-90.jpg (62 KB, 556x600) Image search: [Google]
MewIchigo-90.jpg
62 KB, 556x600
Any wig suggestions for a Mew Ichigo cosplay? The shade of pink is a bit elusive and I'm a total noob at wig styling apart from just snipping bangs. I'm in Europe so preferably things close to here so the shipping isn't disgustingly expensive.
>>
>>8982454
That's the one! Thanks so much!
>>
>>8978497
Good news. My grandma gave me some cash money for fabric softener.

How much water do I use for this method?
>>
File: VegetaPlanetArlia.png (432 KB, 500x686) Image search: [Google]
VegetaPlanetArlia.png
432 KB, 500x686
Gonna be working on a Vegeta cosplay for next year, and I'd like to know what would be the best material to make the armor out of. I've never made armor before, and would like to avoid using stuff like Worbla because of how easy it seems to mess it up.

Would like some eva foam work, or is it too thick?
>>
>>8983360
EVA comes in all kinds of thicknesses. You can get the one you think works best.
>>
>>8983360
Eva foam will work fine. If you really don't wanna work with it, then try craft foam although it'll need a little more work to make look good and solid.
>>
>>8983359
You have to be 18 to be on this board.
>>
>>8983369
>>8983366
Thank you both! I've got a ton of different foam types around the house, a lot of them exercise mats.
>>
File: medli.jpg (326 KB, 1252x2060) Image search: [Google]
medli.jpg
326 KB, 1252x2060
How should I make Medli's boots?
Having trouble finding any sort of tutorial that would be helpful.

Thanks!
>>
>>8983383
You wanna look for boot cover tutorials. There's a lot of those and from there is just picking the method you wanna try out.
You're probably not gonna find a tutorial specific for her boots, but the idea is to apply what you've learned from the tutorials yoice read.
>>
>>8983359
Five days. Holy shit shit.

It looks like about a gallon of water.
>>
>>8983359
This has to either be pure joking or underage, right?
>>
>>8983383
Mango Sirene has a write up on how she did her boots on I believe her Tumblr or Deviantart. You should be able to find it in Google.
>>
I'm cosplaying Black Heart from Hyperdimension Neptunia and I can't figure out how to go about doing the cut out on the chest.

If I cut a leotard do you think that will work? Thanks in advance!
>>
>>8983506
sorry I meant purple heart
>>
File: 1394229523366.png (879 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1394229523366.png
879 KB, 960x1280
So this is probably an idiotically simple question, but I don't know who else to ask.
I'm learning to sew so I can put together a nice looking cosplay (Tired of looking like shit), but I assume I need a sewing machine.

What should I look for in a machine, and what else would be helpful and if you say thread I will use that thread as a garrote.
>>
>>8983685
Look in the archives for specific recommendations (we had a sewing machine thread not that long ago) but in general, look online for machines in your price range, if you can, check them out in stores (Joann Fabrics tends to have floor models you can look at), then buy one you look. In general, you won't need a fancy one when you're starting out, so don't sweat it too much. I think the general consensus was that if you're getting a a sub $200 machine look into Brothers or Janomes.
>>
File: latest.jpg (24 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
24 KB, 630x630
Sorry for the repost! Missed the thread earlier because mobile.

Putting together a Rob Lucci cosplay for A-Kon in June, and for the life of me, I cannot find a decent hat like the one he wears! Any suggestions of where I could look? Is it even technically a top hat? The kind I've seen so far look a little flimsy.

Also if you happen to know of any decent stuffed pigeons, feel free to link them as I don't know I'm fully satisfied with the one I got.
>>
>>8983506
dont use a leotard, if you cut out the shape of the chest it will stretch and warp, and ultimately end up too flimsy. looks like to me the best material to use is something like latex/pleater/vinyl/ something that holds its shape
the only way i can see making the hole work is using hella interfacing, which would mess with the overall comfort/shape of the chest area. not to mention making the boobs mold around the interfacing would be super hard.
>>
i need to straighten out a wig i bought from bodyline recently, since its the only place unfortunately where I could find a gradient black/red wig. however, it's curled n shit from shipping and I gotta straighten it.
would soaking it in water and then blowdrying the wet wig make the wefts straight, or would I have to use a hair straightener?
in general, how well can body ine wigs hold heat?
>>
>>8983714
Do you think material like this would work? I'm not too worried about being 100% comfortable as I won't be able to wear it a whole day at the con anyway
>>
>>8983718
Never used a bodyline wig but from using other wigs (high and low quality) I'd say straighten with boiling water first and let it air dry. Combing/Blow Drying It While wet will damage the fibers and lead to tangling.

If it seems heatsafe you can straighten with a flat iron, just start at the lowest temp
>>
File: Fran_FFXII3.jpg (48 KB, 890x634) Image search: [Google]
Fran_FFXII3.jpg
48 KB, 890x634
How would I go about making rabbit ears? Doesn't have to be like Fran's, but I would like them to be rigid that go straight up. Or is that not the best route to go? I can't seem to find a tutorial that I like.
>>
>>8983703
have you tried thrift stores? Usually some magic kits have top hats similar to Lucci's.
>>
>>8983703
My "friend" made one himself. He used an enlarged oatmeal can as the base, and made the whole damned thing out of silk.

Or have you tried Halloween stores?
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 392x531) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 392x531
I always see Sonia with a white shirt and belt, but are they actually cream/ beige? Opinions?
>>
>>8983841
In cases of color ambiguity, it's more about the relative contrast with the rest of the outfit and using color picker tool to help with the shade. It looks like the shirt and belt need to be the same color and whiter than the wig regardless of which color you interpret them to be. The color picker tool would help in identifying which off-shade of white you need to go with if, say, you had a choice of white fabric with blue tint or white fabric with yellow tint or vice versa.
>>
File: 1.jpg (95 KB, 648x662) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
95 KB, 648x662
Best wig for Mustang?
>>
File: ef1c8364.jpg (192 KB, 682x960) Image search: [Google]
ef1c8364.jpg
192 KB, 682x960
Pic related, the dark blue ruffle on the apron is not as dark as I want it to be. I was thinking of painting the ruffle with diluted fabric paint since I have a dark blue fabric paint with me, will that work?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
I need help!!! I have the fabric to make some Seifuku neckerchiefs and im super confused about how to make the edges look nice

I have a red one that came with an outfit before but I'm not sure how to get the edges looking like the one I have

How do I do this with my fabric
>>
So I've never done embroidery but I'm pretty good at painting stuff in general and I wanted to cosplay pic related (that's not me btw)
Would it be ok to do those details with some sort of puffy/ 3d paint? What would you guys recommend?
>>
>>8984137
That's an edge done with a serger machine. If you don't have one: You can flip it inside out if you want it to have no edge, but that become bulky. You can hem it. Depending on the fabric, you can just leave it as is but I don't really like that personally.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>8984143
Oh damn I don't have one of those
The edges are pretty frayed so I don't know how I'm going to manage this :( maybe ill do a little hem? I'm not sure it's going to work well though
>>
>>8983841
They're the same color. I would go off-white/cream just because a softer color can be a little more flattering and pair better with the other colors here, but between "obviously beige" and white, I'd go white. Her outfit is schoolgirl-ish, and school girl blouses are white, not beige.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (12 KB, 274x184) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
12 KB, 274x184
I need a good sheep like fabric for weresheep.
I'm located in Canada so there's that.
I've searched everywhere and I cannot find a good one
I cannot use real wool as I am allergic to it.
>>
>>8984172
>monster girl for ants
>>
File: $_57.jpg (32 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
32 KB, 600x600
>>8984172
Maybe a minky sherpa or a shaggy, short-pile faux fur?
>>
>>8984178
:^)
>>8984186
Oh, maybe! I'll try this.
I hope it's full in person.
>>
I'm doing a cosplay that involves me having one of my legs exposed pretty much all the way up to the hip, so I thought that I'd just wear sheer tights in order to smooth everything out and give me an even skin tone, but the convention I'm going to is gonna be hot as hell, and I'm not even sure if the tights would look good, so Im just wondering if anyone has any tips on making shaved bare legs look good, or any techniques that can help with making the tights look more natural than they would alone.
>>
File: ruby12.jpg (381 KB, 712x698) Image search: [Google]
ruby12.jpg
381 KB, 712x698
>>8983506
Get a bra with foam cups. Cut top edge of bra into this shape. After you make the bodysuit, cut a hole in the middle and stretch it around the bra and hand-sew it on the back.

Google "covering bra with fabric" and you'll get lots of tutorials
>>
>>8984201
by "this shape" I mean the geometric shape of your reference, not my image. Dur.
>>
>>8984191
weresheep isn't even a lewd pic you can post the larger version.
>>
>>8984203
There's not point of me pointing the picture.
And it isn't because it is "lewd" I posted a smaller picture.
>>
>>8984205
then post a larger one so people know what you're fucking talking about.
>>
>>8984200
Dance tights. Basically anytime you see exposed legs on cosplayers (and they look good) they're wearing dance tights. Capezio, Danceskin, Bloch, all of those will have what you're looking for.
>>
>>8984212
I'm just dark skinned, so Im worried about it looking kind of funny because most only come in lighter tones right? Also thank you, those seem to be what I need but in a darker shade
>>
>>8984218
They come in a lot of colors ("jazz" tights were always a dark tan) so unless you're actually black you can probably find a color that will match your skin. Go to dance stores in your area to look at the colors in person.
>>
>>8984218
they have spray makeup for legs specifically. a lot of brands come in darker tones.
>>
>>8984145
Yeah, your fabric is no good to just lrave as is. If the fabric is as thin as it looks, I would do the flip method. You might not have enough fabric for that though (you would need double), in which case just hem it.
>>
>>8984145
That is clearly a synthetic fabric, so you can burn the edges to seal them and prevent fraying. You should also check to see if your machine can do an overlock stitch. It's not as clean or precise as a server, but it can make your edges nicer and minimize the fraying.
>>
>>8984137
>>8984143
The flip method that Anon was talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePQe8FUg0Is
>>
>>8984228
>>8984226
>>8984224

Thanks so much guys <3 I'll try and see if I can make it work, luckily I ordered way to much and could probably make 4 of them out of the amount I have, so I can try a few methods and see what happens
>>
>>8984201
Thank you! I will give that a try
>>
>>8984208
>Ask for sheep like fabric
>Post a better picture
???
>>
File: 20160429_152607-1.jpg (2 MB, 1836x2288) Image search: [Google]
20160429_152607-1.jpg
2 MB, 1836x2288
Today I received my contact lenses from pinky paradise. Because I don't want to fuck up my eyes I was reading their guide on how to open and clean.

It says to check on the expiry date. If it's expired to contact them and behold they seem to be expired (see pic). Should I contact them or is this date irrelevant? Has this happened to you /cgl/?
>>
>>8984440
Pretty sure you got the manufacture date and the expiry date confused. The bottom date, the one next to the hourglass, says 2021, so I think you've got some time.
>>
>>8984440
I think the top date with the factory icon is when they were manufactured and the bottom one with the hour glass icon is the expiration date which is 2021 Feb 12
>>
File: Untitled 1.jpg (466 KB, 802x1000) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 1.jpg
466 KB, 802x1000
>>8984440
So your contacts have been made in 13.02.2016 and they'll expire in 12.02.2021.
>>
I want to paint details on a swimsuit for a cosplay. What would be the best kind of paint to use?
>>
Anyone know of a resource for super budget cosplay ideas? I have more time than money here, and want something that works well with my body type.
>>
>>8984452
Not so much for costume ideas, as that all depends on what you like, what you're comfortable wearing, and when you plan on wearing it, but for ways to make costumes within a limited budget check out http://cosplaying-on-a-budget.tumblr.com/
>>
>>8984444
>>8984446
>>8984448
Thanks you so much anons. I'm dyslexic (plus bad eyesight) so I thought the bottom date was gibberish but I'm glad that they're good to go!
>>
File: GOOD-FAST-CHEAP.jpg (96 KB, 575x464) Image search: [Google]
GOOD-FAST-CHEAP.jpg
96 KB, 575x464
>>8984452
Since you don't need it fast you have plenty of time to make anything you want for cheap. Cheap is extremely relative because some people live closer to places with fabric warehouses and material recycling places and know how/when to use coupons for the best deals. Also kind of hard to help you out if we don't know your body type. Generally with cosplay you should just pick a character or costume you time a lot because you're more likely to stick through with it to the end. If you're really struggling with this try animecharacterdatabase.
>>
>>8984141
It does really look like embroidery on the model but paint could look ok. this is really the sort of thing where trial and error are your best bet. If the paint looks bad learning embroidery is not that hard just time consuming.
>>
How would one go about doing an applique on faux leather? I was thinking I would just interface the applique fabric, fold over the raw edges, and glue it down w/ fabric glue? I'm kind of unsure. Whatever happens, stitching would look kind of off in this situation.
>>
>>8983960
Ho don't do it. I mean, if it really really bothers you, and it's isn't 100% polyester, you could probably unsew it and dye it and then reattach? Paint rarely looks good, especially in large areas. You could even make your own ruffles and attach them? Up to you, if it's that important.
>>
>>8983750
Adding wires can pretty much make anything stand up as long as it isn't ridiculously heavy.
>>
>>8984492
The glue will probably peal after some bending. Use it to "pin the fabric then sew it down with an upholstery machine needle
>>
>>8983960
I'd go with making your own ruffles, seam-ripping off the old stuff, and sewing the new ruffles on. Painting sounds like it can go very messy and very wrong easily.
>>
>>8983740
that looks it could work!
just avoid lryica/spandex
>>
>>8984141
don't do it with puffy paint, oh god
puffy paint is too hard to control and evrrytime i've seen it used inlace of embroidery it looks like shit. embroidery isn't too hard, but it does take time!
puffy paint *can* actually assist with embroidery as it gives a raised guideline to embroider on, and gives the embroidery some height, so i'd use it just to mark off where to embroider.
all in all, for bayo's design, something more refined and elegant like hand embroidery fits more and ultimately makes the cosplay look 100% better
>>
>>8984456
Thanks, I appreciate the link.
>>8984469
I guess I need to hunt for some fit male inspiration, then figure out what isn't going to cost an arm and a leg. I'm sure there's a tumblr blog somewhere dedicated to that sort of thing.
>>
>>8984585
This. I will look really cheap and it's hard to control for those fine, symmetrical details. The only Time I've seen puffy paint sort of work was for one of those CLAMP dresses with a billion layers that needs a billion more gold swirlies
>>
My wig "pops" up at the crown and I don't know what's causing it. Is it too small? I only have one wig that does it and I want to ask before I go fiddling with it.
>>
>>8984796
It's either too small/big or the fabric structure of the underlying cap itself has warped over time, which may not be fixable. Check to see if the pop-up is still there when it's not being worn or put on a small wig head.
>>
>>8984537
I don't see why it would bend. I mean, I guess any fabric would bend, but it's on the bottom of the coat tails on a huge trench coat. Anyway, I'm mostly worried about how to finished the edges or if it would look alright.
>>
>>8982388
If you find one please let me know, I'm also trying to find a good Takumi wig
>>
>>8983785
I haven't, didn't know if they were worth trying
>>
>>8983791
Haha that's an interesting idea actually! Most of the party/halloween stores have flimsy felt ones
>>
I need fabric suggestions for a JoJo cosplay, which are pretty notorious for using unconventional fabric choices. I would like to cosplay the best doublechinned president, but I'm not totally sure if I should go with liquid lamé or something else pink with a metallic kind of look for the main suit. I want drape and not much stretch. I'm hoping lining and interfacing will help give it some structure so it's not light and floaty.

This would probably be best answered by Ukraine, but not sure if they come to /help/ often. Thanks in advance.
>>
File: FunnyValentine_Original.png (767 KB, 467x774) Image search: [Google]
FunnyValentine_Original.png
767 KB, 467x774
>>8985055
Dropped pic like a dumbass
>>
File: 0.png (701 KB, 1672x736) Image search: [Google]
0.png
701 KB, 1672x736
How would I go about making the equipment on her back? I'm a complete noob when it comes to prop-making and I've tried looking for good tutorials, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
File: Tallarn_Desert_Raider_Panoply.jpg (44 KB, 318x423) Image search: [Google]
Tallarn_Desert_Raider_Panoply.jpg
44 KB, 318x423
Hey /cgl/, I need some help. I'm putting together my first cosplay, its pic related, but I cant find the weird cloak/smock outerwear. I've found some that are similar but they're open fronted, I want a pullover and I cant sew to save myself. Anyone know where I might find something similar?
>>
>>8985060
Maybe try looking at tutorials for SNK 3D maneuver gear, see what they use to make it light weight and how they attach it.
Hope it helps as a start
>>
>>8985395
That's certainly something I'll look into, thanks for the suggestion!
>>
File: HTB1sc5_FVXXXXXzXpXXq6xXFXXXf.jpg (177 KB, 395x398) Image search: [Google]
HTB1sc5_FVXXXXXzXpXXq6xXFXXXf.jpg
177 KB, 395x398
I bought these shoes from aliexpress in a UK size 5 (which is my normal size) and they were just about too tight on me (my toes were painfully at the very edge of the shoe) so I decided to buy the next size up and take a risk but these shoes feel even tighter?

Is there any way I could stretch them so my toes aren't squishing at the top or should I just give up?
>>
File: cs_15_white_1.jpg (13 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
cs_15_white_1.jpg
13 KB, 400x400
I've never had to spray paint anything outside of bitmap and I'm not sure what kind to buy. I wanted to spray paint some white sandals orange. Can anyone recommend a brand?
>>
File: Large_239100.jpg (34 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
Large_239100.jpg
34 KB, 700x700
Sorry, this may be a dumb question, but I'm going to dye some polyester and I bought Jacquard iDye to do it. The recommended method is to dye it in a stainless steel pot on the stove. It's not going to stain my pot or anything, right? I'll be able to wash the pot out and use it for food just fine, right? Don't want to ruin a good pot and be sad about it later.

While I'm at it, any tips for using iDye? I heard it dyes pretty quickly? (Though the package says 30min to an hour...)
>>
Can anyone give paper maché tips?
What's the water glue ratio to use?
Hiw do I get my paper base to not bend?
>>
>>8985405
NO
spray paint with start chipping the flaking of 2 minutes after you start moving in them.
Use leather paint.
or embarrassingly litter paint flecks everywhere while having shit looking shoes, up to you.
>>
HELP! How should I attach these legs? Planing on carving out of expanding foam and covering in fabric. No idea how to attach them to myself. SOS
>>
>>8985441
I've used idye poly and it didn't stain the pot, but it did say not to use the pot for food. I'd double check the regular idye to make sure that isn't the same.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 481x306) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 481x306
>>8985466
Forgot the picture whoops
>>
>>8985455
Hey I said I've never done something like this before. Will this suffice? Also, what kind of brush should I use? I have brushes for oil painting, or would anything work?

http://www.joann.com/leather-studio-2.0-oz-paint/zprd_13450259a.html
>>
File: 113270892.png (439 KB, 297x535) Image search: [Google]
113270892.png
439 KB, 297x535
How can I pull off this hood without significantly hindering my vision?
>>
>>8985366
This seems like a good project to learn the sew on. It's basically a sheet of fabric with 2 sleeves and a clasp/button to hold the front together under the shoulder armor.
>>
>>8985441
>>8985455
IDK, buy ive found that floral spray does a pretty good job
>>
>>8985762
Very sheer organza or knit fabric.
>>
File: 730281721.jpg (79 KB, 600x592) Image search: [Google]
730281721.jpg
79 KB, 600x592
>>8985762
Better pic

>>8985792
That's good for casting a shadow underneath, but it's not the right fabric for the outer layer (which has a ridiculously narrow opening).
>>
File: _20160430_165139.jpg (2 MB, 4438x1778) Image search: [Google]
_20160430_165139.jpg
2 MB, 4438x1778
Babbys first cosplay here. How should I make these wearable (please no bully). I'm considering sewing them to my shirt. Any other ideas? There's a wire in the side and top seam, they're a bit heavy
>>
>>8985466
I'm thinking a climbing harness or a garter belt or waist cincher. For the latter two solutions, you could install a separating zipper to make putting it on and taking it off simpler. You can add panels of 1/8" foamed PVC with a pop rivet gun to make hard mounting points. I first learned about the magic of pop rivets and foamed PVC from this tutorial here: http://rarsuit.livejournal.com/44876.html

Though I gotta say, you probably want to engineer a third leg in there somewhere. Balancing a lot of weight off your hips, especially straight behind you, can get painful after a while. Looking up other examples of that cosplay yeilded one version that had these stupid bent toes because she didn't reinforce the tips of her spider legs. Some acetal rod (also called Delrin) at the tips of your spider legs sticking out juuuust a hair would provide some hard, slick points for your tippy tappers to rest on. ...shit I wanna cosplay this now. Good luck, homie.
>>
>>8985883
There are so many ways to make wing harnesses, but first off, DO NOT sew it to your shirt. It will just pull it down and sag horribly. Look here http://cosplaytutorial.com/list.php#WingsHarness for one that suits your costume.
>>
>>8985883
What are you wearing with these? (Sorry I don't recognize the character.) You've got a lot of solutions depending on how much skin you have covered. Most costume wings will be attached in the center with a rod or circle of wire, then have two elastic straps that you wear like a backpack. It is how a lot of the Victoria's Secret wings are worn. (There are a few clips of TV specials on youtube about the making of those wings that would be worth checking out.)

Another solution is to get a corset or a waist cincher (or heck, just a thick band of elastic that sits under your bust), then install a pocket that you can drop your wings into like a flag, provided that you add some long v-shaped bits of wire to the bottoms. I found this just by googling "corset wings." http://jiajem.com/tutorials/wings/
>>
File: fringe jeans.jpg (16 KB, 310x415) Image search: [Google]
fringe jeans.jpg
16 KB, 310x415
How would I go about making fringes for the side of jeans?
>>
>>8984478
>>8984585
Yeah, thank you for the suggestion. I guess puffy paint is pretty shitty so I won't end up using it, but I plan on making everything else (besides the suit, it'll be a commission) and I really won't have time to hand embroider those designs. Could I just use some sort of paint?
Sorry if the questions are dumb. If it helps, I think the person plans on making the suit out of pleather.
>>
>>8985441
Oh come on, just go to fuckin' wal-mart and pick up one of those flimsy enameled steel pots (the blue with the white speckles) and keep that as your dying pot. Get some designated dying utensils while you're there. It's worth the 10-15 bucks for the piece of mind that you won't ruin your good cookware or poison yourself.
>>
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the fluff carnage from cuddle fleece down to a minimum? This stuff literally flies everywhere after cutting & sewing.
>>
>>8985894
Thank you
>>8985902
Remelia Scarlet (touhou fag here)
Thanks. I tried googling before making these and the tuts for bat wings were fucking awful, like stockings over wire
>>
>>8985909
I use puffy paint a lot in my body of work. (I make dragony-lizardy things because I'm a big 'ol furfag.) It looks... okay. The slick stuff is difficult to get smooth in large fill areas. You can make tiny circles with the tip of the bottle which helps. The kind you puff up with a steamy iron never puffs up evenly, unfortunately. I suggest you pick up a couple bottles of both and do some testing to see what you like.

The kind that is metallic colored has a powdered mica suspended in it. This means that it will look swirly. It will look better to paint your pieces after they dry. That reminds me! The slick kind dries with a sticky surface. Once I made a shirt that had a lot of slick dimensional paint on the back. I had to peeeel myself off a leather booth at a restaurant. Thankfully I didn't damage the booth, but it was pretty scary! You need to top coat it with some acrylic sealer anyway. (I just used a cheap bottled gloss coat from the craft store and it worked fine.)

It might be a good idea to paint your details on another fabric, cut them out after they have dried then glue them to your bodysuit. That way fuck-ups won't be as devastating.
>>
>>8985909
also wanted to add: see if you can get your comissioner to send you some scraps of the fabric he or she is using to make your bodysuit. You don't want your paint to peel right off, or any glues to use to melt it. Test test test!
>>
Komaeda anons, what wigs do you use? I want the Five Wits one but it's out of stock.
>>
For a sailor jupiter cosplay, do you guys think using horse hair braid like in this tutorial would work well for the skirt? http://rufflebuttcosplay.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Putting-in-Horse-Hair-Braid-CLAMP-Ruffles-288848575
>>
>>8985912
Box fan + air filter screen attached to the back. Put the fan facing away from you as you work with it. It'll catch most of the fluff against the air filter.
>>
Any dress form/mannequin recommendations?
>>
Looking at buying a starter sewing machine. I was waiting for the Brother CS6000i to go on sale, but I noticed that the Singer 7258 is already on sale for Mother's Day on Amazon.

Both machines seem to pop up next to one another on "best beginner machines" lists, but being a total novice I don't know which one will be better for cosplay work. Most of the stuff that makes reviewers recommend the Brother instead is mostly aimed at quilters, so I'm wondering if that means the Singer is a better choice for me.
>>
>>8986414
Don't buy a (non-vintage) Singer. They're really, really shitty machines.
>>
>>8986096
yes! I did it for a neptune and uranus cosplay and it looked really good. be careful if you are using a really stiff or soft fabric though, it can hand sort of weirdly
>>
So I know we have Kamen Rider/Super Sentai threads sometimes so hopefully there's some experienced people here.
My younger brother is trying to make a Kamen Rider helmet, except it looks like this so far. He's obviously done some research, because he was using a pepakura file, but instead of using cardstock, he decided to hotglue foam together and spray it with plastidip. He came to me for help just a few minutes ago, asking me how to "smooth it out a little." I make cosplays, but I never make props or armor. I suggested he put a sheet of fiberglass on it, but honestly, I don't even know what that means.
Please tell me there's a way to fix this. I don't want him to be upset about it, so I'm trying to overhaul this quickly and put him on the right track. But I don't want to invalidate his work either. I'm going to start researching this stuff but any suggestions on working off this would be appreciated.
>>
File: DSC_0128.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0128.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>8986520
Dropped pic
>>
>>8986436
What's wrong with the modern ones? Are they just fragile or something? The main reason I'm considering the Singer is the metal frame, which apparently helps prevent skipped stitches, but I'm a total novice, so I don't know how common that is on other machines.
>>
Anyone know of a long pale blonde wig with pigtails and no bangs? I'm looking for one with actual pigtails, not extensions. Also heat resistant. Thanks to anyone who can point me!
>>
File: body paint second coat.jpg (49 KB, 800x397) Image search: [Google]
body paint second coat.jpg
49 KB, 800x397
How do I do I get this body paint to give me that milky white textureless alabaster statue look? Wii Fit Trainer. Pic is after two coats of Mehron Paradise AQ
>>
>>8986524
you can use foam for pepakura stuff, but in this case he probably tried to use a cardstock file and it looks like he didn't cut it very well/glue it properly. there's lots of pepakura groups on fb i'd advise he check out and read up, and theres a lot of youtube tutorials too.

its probably best you just give up on that helmet though. it's okay. pepakura took me 3ish times to get the hang of to.

also when he reads up- he's going to find that a lot of people suggest using quick seal (i think thats how it spelled?) for smoothing seams, but desu i find dry wall Spackle works way better.

Resin is good for hardening foam, plastidip more just for sealing it. Since the helmet doesn't need to be flexible, once he's done it all resin could probably be helpful. Get him to look at tutorials people have done for power ranger/iron man masks and the such.
>>
>>8986724
you're supposed to pat it on not brush it as far as I know, unless you want to look like an oil painting
>>
Does anyone have experience wearing store-bought pieces (e.g. wings, a tail) as prosthetics on bare skin? Can something like Pros-Aide hold them for between 30 and 60 minutes?
>>
>>8983740
Can you like the source to that image? That leotard is perfect for what I need.
>>
File: articuno.jpg (45 KB, 285x320) Image search: [Google]
articuno.jpg
45 KB, 285x320
Me and a couple friends are planning to cosplay burlesque versions of the legendary birds (we figured burlesque would be cool cus we could have big feather bustles) and I picked Articuno. Planning on embellishing an underbust corset like you would an Elsa corset with glittery foam in diamond shapes rather than Elsa's rectangular/square shapes, using a full sized top hat with the little...head...feather...diamond thingies on it out of...some sort of material (Any suggestions? My only idea right now is folded cardstock and I feel like that would look really shitty)

Add feather trimmed gloves, wig, contacts, dyed fishnets and embellished bra and shoes and...well, the wings. That's what I'm really stuck on. We want them to be pretty massive but still relatively inexpensive to make (I mean they're gonna be expensive regardless but a girl can ask), relatively light, and with a support system that won't interfere with the silhouette of the costume. I don't like the look of the kind you attach to your arms, personally, and I'm looking at cutting the feathers out of fabric if you guys think I can get away with that without looking cheap.

Any comments on my basic construction idea/the best way to construct the wings?
>>
What's the best way of securing a fake nose?

Don't really want to use latex as I'll keep snipping it and if it comes loose during the day I'll struggle to re-attach it.
>>
>>8986524
>>8985478
>>8985056
>>8981622

Is this a meme now?
>>
File: kot.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
kot.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
I'm in search for a good quality Kotori wig, any suggestions?
>>
>>8985441
The instructions say not to use the pot for food. I bought a non stick pot for £3 and used that. A couple quid is worth more than your health.
>>
File: fabric.png (541 KB, 594x592) Image search: [Google]
fabric.png
541 KB, 594x592
Can I get some suggestions on this fabric? I bought a yard of it about a year ago for a project but wound up not using it and I really don't want to throw it out but I'm blanking on ideas...

I'm p chubby so that'll probably limit my options considerably but maybe there's someone out there who's more creative than me
>>
>>8986544
No, modern Singers are just really shitty, cheaply made machines that don't work well and break easily. They're filled with plastic parts, same as every cheap machine. If you're going to buy a cheap entry level modern machine, buy the Brother. It's the only semi-decent one.
>>
>>8986413
I have this one. It's the nicest thing I own. I would highly highly recommend it.
>http://theshopcompany.com/professional-female-dressform-w-removable-magnetic-shoulders.html
>>
>>8987053
They have these at my school in all kinds of sizes. They are nice and I second investing in one.
>>
Didn't get an answer in the lolita general, reposting here:
We don't have an Japanese SS general or anything so I figured it would be best to ask here. Has anyone bought using Samurai buyer? What did you think? I noticed they're sponsoring e-famous people (like anzu and more recently filthy frank)
>>
>>8981746
Hmm, really? Actually, I rather like that interpretation so I might go with that, but I have someone cosplaying Niles with me who's going to have the grey/black striped leggings. Should I just go for the ribbed tights?
>>
File: 20160501_165849.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160501_165849.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
So I'm trying to make avdol's necklace earring thing from jojo's and I'm using these ice cream caps and craft foam because they're the perfect size, I know it looks like an elementary school project now, but I was wondering if plasti dip would smooth out the mistakes on the foam and the letters on the cap? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this cleaner before I paint it? Sorry it's sideways
>>
>>8987417
remake it and use a stencil, don't freehand it
>>
File: rilakkumaWTF.jpg (494 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
rilakkumaWTF.jpg
494 KB, 1536x2048
So I'm trying to track one of these Rilakkuma Mascot costumes. I tried ordering one online from Amazon. What I received looked terrible and evil(Pic related), had to get a refund.

Any advise?
>>
>>8984172
daaaamn anon im cosplaying the same thing, thats nutty.
if you find something good you should post it back here if you can, ive been looking around and havent found anything that doesnt look super gross. best of luck to you!
>>
>>8987417
Use a stencil and a much sharper knife. Foam dulls blades very fast so you need to replace the blades a lot. And don't carve it. Let the knife slice through it.
>>
gonna make this sword, thinking of using acrilic to get the main body shape, then molding foam for the details, imma make it glow with a led strip (continuous, not the 1-led-per-inch-kind) the battery feed and butto is too bit for any part of the sword, so it'll be hidden under the arm guard, only ordered enough to go around the blade once, should i make it go near the center or in the border, has to glow like next pic
>>
File: latest[1].png (113 KB, 245x228) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
113 KB, 245x228
>>8987602
as you can see, there is a part in the middle where it doesnt glow, in fact, the silver part of the blade glows orange, should i make only the border glow seeing as i cant get more of this led strip until next month? (convo this week) or should i put it in the middle (border of the par where it doesnt glow) in the hopes that the light illuminates the rest of the silvery part?
any ideas for the runic circle in the middle? (i got the leds for that one, just no idea how to make the runes glow yet still beeing seen)
>>
File: cyan_sbr_3_20150421.png (213 KB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
cyan_sbr_3_20150421.png
213 KB, 500x279
how do i go about styling a wig for cyan from show by rock?
>>
>>8987797
May or may not be helpful, but I remember wanting to cosplay Cyan a while back and still had this bookmarked.

https://www.epiccosplay.com/diana-15-blue-black-fusion-curly-short-cosplay-wig.html

If anything, just get a wig and then use large curl rollers to get a similar shape.
>>
>>8986823
Don't do it cause it's a shitty attention whorey idea.
>>
File: adekanedit.png (974 KB, 600x671) Image search: [Google]
adekanedit.png
974 KB, 600x671
What could I use for the raised gold detailing on pic related? I was thinking goldwork embroidery but is that the best option?
>>
>>8988019
Gold piping and lamé would be my suggestion.
>>
>>8988019
I love you for cosplaying this, anon. Allow me to live vicariously through you.
>>
>>8987837
Shoo cow. Lick salt elsewhere.
>>
>>8985055
>>8985056
I check the help thread every so often.

If you end up going with liquid lame you're definitely going to have to line if, otherwise you're not going to get the structure you need for his jacket. IF you could find a metalic satin/sateen you might be better off, and it would be a lot easier to construct a jacket with that. How are you doing the lined details on his jacket? It be kind of cool if you could quilt them in.
>>
File: gang.jpg (395 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gang.jpg
395 KB, 1920x1080
How should I go about making this greatcoat? And also, how should/where should I get the boots where there are foldover tops. You know. The sterotypical pirate boots?
>>
>>8987837
Ah yes. Because everyone knows no girl is allowed to do a sexy cosplay without being an attention whore.
>>
>>8981640
I'd get some black nylon tights and paint the thin black stripes on using tape lines as a guide
>>
File: Prescription.jpg (46 KB, 350x233) Image search: [Google]
Prescription.jpg
46 KB, 350x233
This might seem odd but does anyone know where I could find a couple empty prescription bottles, like these ones? I'm an eurofag and it seems impossible to get a hold of something seemingly so simple, I need this color/shape and haven't been able to find anything except listings from the US with ridiculous prices.
I only need two, I'm cosplaying from Gangsta and thought it'd be cool to carry about the bottles of Celebrer as a prop.
Thanks in advance.
>>
File: tpypes ref.png (178 KB, 825x752) Image search: [Google]
tpypes ref.png
178 KB, 825x752
I'm thinking of using a knit material, but I don't know how to go about the sleeve puffs, leggings, and color. Would it be easier to dye everything?
>>
>>8988289
Have you tried just going to a pharmacy and asking for an empty bottle?
>>
>>8988391
I'm considering it but I was under the impression that particular kind of bottle was used in the US? I've never seen it over here, where ai live I've only seen white opaque bottles or blister packages.
>>
>>8987447
That's hilarious. The nose/mouth are even upside down. It may be somewhat salvageable if you can get that turned around and get some black netting fabric to make the eyes look less like buttons.

>>8988103
Thank you for responding!
I've been planning on lining the jacket and pants, but I think I will look into the metallic satin/sateen since I have more experience with that kind of fabric.
I was thinking of doing that for the details on the jacket. Or maybe doing a single pintuck on the inside for each line. I will have to experiment with scraps of whatever fabric before I decide for sure, but the quilting idea is fantastic.

>>8988289
Dang Eurofriend, I wouldn't mind sending some of the ones I had for putting beads in (dad's on so many heart meds and he throws many of them away) for free, but about what sizes do you need? They look pretty much exactly like that, but some are taller and wider. The only problems I can see is shipping charges from Burgerland or customs seizing it. My throwaway is [email protected] if you're interested.
>>
File: 2016-05-01 18.47.05-1-1.jpg (2 MB, 1641x1725) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-01 18.47.05-1-1.jpg
2 MB, 1641x1725
How do I make the bangs bigger?

It's a daisy wig btw
>>
>>8988697
Do you mean have more volume? Get some sponge rollers and hair spray.
>>
>>8988717
How do I use the sponge rollers? I did the toilet paper roll thing but the hair would just fall from the roller when I applied the hair blower heat.
>>
>>8988737
You may need to apply some gel/hairspray to the hair before you roll it up, then roll it, then hit it with a hair dryer.
>>
What do you use to fill gaps and seams in EVA foam?
>>
>>8988863
depends on a handful of things like how big the gaps are, whether or not the foam will bend or flex while you wear it, whether or not you sealed and or painted the foam already are the things I can think off the top of my head.

Did you have a particular piece you're talking about? Post pictures.

However, very small gaps and seams, just put down a little hot glue and with a wet finger smooth out the glue. Not optimal because it's hard to redo this without damaging the foam, plus the potential to burn yourself.
>>
>>8988935
Foam will not bend or need to flex. I've been gluing several layers of foam together but there are some small gaps. I also accidentally poked a giant hole into one piece and need to fill that as well.
>>
>>8988966
if you're certain it's not going to flex just use some drywall joint compound and fill in the gaps/hide your seams then sand smooth while practicing caution not to sand the foam.
>>
I need to make the belt with silver and turquoise gems.

Ive seen and considered a few methods, but knowing im an amateur, what would you recommend?

Ive seen ideas with foam mats and some with sculpy and some with tin foil.
>>
File: 2383-wcship1.jpg (26 KB, 478x357) Image search: [Google]
2383-wcship1.jpg
26 KB, 478x357
So I've been using this tall narrow cardboard tube (pic related but not my pic) as the base for a staff I'm making. Any thoughts on the best way of hiding those spiral lines all the way down? They aren't quite as pronounced or close together as pic related, but I just want a second opinion before I start tediously going at it with wood filler and gesso

(Also I know I should've probably just gone with wood in the first place, but I already had this around and it's a hell of a lot lighter to carry around)
>>
I'm making a dress with a waistband that separates the bodice from the skirt. I've had to draft it myself as it's not part of the pattern I used for the dress bodice, as such I'm not sure whether or not I should use a medium-weight interfacing in it. I don't want it to lose its shape, but I also don't want it to be too stiff. Thoughts please?
>>
>>8989170
Use a light weight interfacing like a knit fusible
>>
>>8989155
>Cardboard tube staff

Seems way too thick to be a staff. Is wood out of the question?
>>
>>8989176
whoops yeah I think I just fucked up the proportions when picking a pic off google via mobile, didn't see it in relation to the chair behind it
I think the one I'm actually using is of pretty decent proportions though? Please excuse the ms paint collage and shitty beginner prop work (I swear i'm fixing the shaping on the top still), but either way, any advice on smoothing out the ridges other than just carrying on like I was, with gesso and wood filler?
>>
File: IMG_20160502_191353_587.jpg (95 KB, 579x650) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160502_191353_587.jpg
95 KB, 579x650
>>8989212
and I dropped my pic
>>
How do I style a base long white wig into this?
>>
>try soaking wig in fabric softener to make it matte
>take it out 3 days later
>let it dry
>oh shit it's still shiny
>feels like a greasy weebs hair
>fuck it brush some fabric softener not he top
>wig feels too greasy, have to wash it
>wig is still shiny
h-help
>>
>>8989212
i'm pretty sure the dark gold part on the ref pic is a depression not raised
>>
>>8989288
You take a Jareth XL and then sew a fuck ton of long white wefts into it. Jareth will give you the hair band look you need for Demon Yusuke and sewing in the long wefts will give you (dur hur) length but also thickness.
>>
File: mangapreview_goodnightpunpun.gif (140 KB, 150x225) Image search: [Google]
mangapreview_goodnightpunpun.gif
140 KB, 150x225
What would be the best way to do a young Punpun cosplay? I figured black tights and arm socks for the legs and arms but I'm kind of lost about how to make the interior round and firm for the head while still being wearable.
>>
File: white wig.png (332 KB, 536x944) Image search: [Google]
white wig.png
332 KB, 536x944
>>8989347
>bunch of white wefts

Fuck, I was afraid of that. Couldn't I just clip them to the wig cap and call it a day?
>>
>>8989356
not unless you want it to look good
>>
>>8989334
the image from the link was posted in the last help thread
http://alexamadden.deviantart.com/art/Removing-the-shine-to-your-wig-353751870
but whoever posted it said:
Let wig dry on it's own, don't rinse.
Add talc (aka talcum powder, even baby powder can be used).
Heat style.
Wipe away tears and rest assured.

>>8989215
>>8989336
those are definitely depressions.
To answer your question though, if you're going to insist on using cardboard, I would hit the whole thing with a layer or two of auto body resin. It'll add a bit of weight, but it will most importantly add a lot of rigidity to the cardboard making it stronger. Should also smooth out the spiral, especially if you sand it a bit.
>>
>>8978497
My five days are almost up. Excited!

Does anyone have tips for sanding my Bondo sword? No matter what I do, there are crevices, and I don't wanna sand it too thin.
>>
>>8989390
don't be like this anon
>>8989334
and skip on the powder.
>>8989363
this is the quote from the last thread regarding this method
>Okay so after your wig has dried, you coat it in the talc and then apply the heat for styling. Make sure you don't squeeze the water out of the wig, just let it drip dry for a little bit and then set it on a towel and continue dying it there.

>>8989352
make the body a tube made from upholstery foam. If you want the head firm, make a dome out of EVA foam and secure it to the body; otherwise, just make that out of upholstery foam as well. To make sure it fits your head properly, strategically glue pieces of upholstery foam to bridge the gap between your head and the interior walls.
>>
File: image_NSE023-1.jpg (50 KB, 613x611) Image search: [Google]
image_NSE023-1.jpg
50 KB, 613x611
https://jlist.com/nse022

Has anyone gotten this from j-list before? If so is it true to size?
>>
>>8989390
by crevices, I assume you mean they're fairly large? If that's the case, just mix up a small batch of bondo and fill them in. Sand smooth. Rinse. Repeat.
Good tip is to hit the whole thing with a coat of spray paint then sand all of it off. Any area where the paint comes off much sooner is a raised area that needs to be sanded down. Areas where the paint persists are pits that need to be filled. Also, best for really small divots, and not crevices like you mentioned, but pick up some filler primer. It'll fill in all the tiny imperfections and sands really smooth.
>>
>>8989423
No, you're probably too big for it, fatty.
>>
>>8989336
>>8989363
yes, i know it's not supposed to be raised, but i'm still an utter newbie and made that choice so i wouldnt completely screw it up. I know my limitations at this point in my learning and i'd honestly rather make a slightly less accurate but eventually okay looking prop than one that looks like shit overall and detracts from the rest of my cosplay
I've been on this board long enough that I honestly wasnt gonna post a pic of my shoddy prop work but had to in order to keep things decently relevant to my original question

That said, I appreciate the advice. The tube itself is absurdly thick and darn near indestructable, so strength won't be an issue, but if you think that's my best bet in terms of smoothing it, i'll look into it
>>
>>8989434
Thanks anon, your right. I might to tall for it, but last year I got a large size korean swimsuit and it fit just great. So I think I should be fine, I just wanted to make sure it was true to size before ordering.
>>
>>8989448
fair enough. Otherwise it's not bad. How did you make the piece that connects the scroll-ish stuff to the tube?

I know what kind of tube you're talking about, but no matter how thick cardboard will always be weaker than pvc or wood. It's much more susceptible to dings, will wear out faster, and god forbid it gets wet.
That being said, resin-ing it will definitely alleviate that because it soaks into the paper only taking on its shape, but giving the paper all of the resin's properties.

Word of warning, auto body resin fumes are toxic. Study up before you do it, and practice safety. There's a pretty steep learning curve, but it's not impossible even for a "newbie".
>>
File: 1433396795066.jpg (151 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1433396795066.jpg
151 KB, 500x500
>>8989434
>>
File: Destro_Mask__1253356932.jpg (70 KB, 514x800) Image search: [Google]
Destro_Mask__1253356932.jpg
70 KB, 514x800
Where do people find Destro masks nowadays?
>>
>>8989334
>>8989363
>>8989412
my wig has dried since my last wash and miraculously, it's less shiny? it's still shiny, but more natural and non greasy looking. so i guess if you're gonna cosplay Tomoko then just fucking douse your wig in fabric softener
>>
For an eva plugsuit (specifically rei's from 3.0) would using a catsuit pattern like Jnig's mccall's pattern work okay? I figure since it would be all black anyway the seams wouldn't be that noticeable. Any other suggestions gladly appreciated!
>>
File: 51te1cRUzcL._SX522_.jpg (18 KB, 522x522) Image search: [Google]
51te1cRUzcL._SX522_.jpg
18 KB, 522x522
what are these soft star hairpieces called? I can't find them other than one-star barrette.
>>
File: image.jpg (286 KB, 1200x1800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
286 KB, 1200x1800
How do I get this teal faded effect? I was thinking I could dye it but if anybody knows where I can buy one like this i'd be forever thankful because I rather not risk fucking up a perfectly good wig.
>>
>>8989450
wow seagulls have gotten piss weak.
you probably won't find an answer here because I don't think a lot of gulls buy from j-list since it's kinda seedy (and you could prob find all that shit for cheaper elsewhere).

>>8989797
I mean I'm not very familiar with the exact suit you're working on but you'll always have seams, so something like that is probably what you'll have to go with. the only 100% non-seamed option I could think of is basically industrial weaving and I doubt you have the means and tools for that. just try to find a pattern with as few obvious seams as possible.
>>
>>8990020
You can look on taobao, but if you're going to dye it, just keep in mind that you have to go from light to dark, so buy a base wig that's the lightest color on the gradient
>>
>>8989918
...star clips?
>>
File: FILE1691.jpg (22 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
FILE1691.jpg
22 KB, 480x320
>>8989474
>How did you make the piece that connects the scroll-ish stuff to the tube
a myriad of bad choices probably, but hey it's a learning curve.
started by cutting out an eva foam donut just barely wide enough to slip over the end of the tube, secured it in place (a bit farther down than in the pic), layered some craft foam to give it the indentations I wanted, and then model magic sloping from the edge of the donut to a ring traced on the tube above and below.
Tried to cover it in worbla to smooth out the indentations and cover/strengthen the weakling of a material that is model magic (hoping to fill them the indentations in with resin to mimic inset gems if I have the time), which I partially regret because it ripped the bottom half clear off while repositioning and I had to redo it, smoothing out the ripped edges with wood filler and a dremel.

And alright, thank you, that all makes a lot of sense. I live in a condo, so it'll definitely have to wait until I find somewhere to work with a garage/backyard though. Failing that, I'd been considering at least brushing the whole thing with a few layers of good ol casting/pour-on resin after I finish the preliminary smoothing, in order to protect and smooth it a bit better. I've got a lot left over from an insulation foam prop I was working on a little while back. Thoughts?
>>
>>8989684
I think you're missing the point. Fabric softener isn't what's going to make your wig matte. It's only going to make a cheap wig easier to style and work with.
The real magic is the talc powder. It's to remove the greasiness as well as make the damn thing matte.

>being this dense
>>
>>8990107
yeah, if you've got another type of less toxic fume producing resin, use that. But keep in mind, with just about everything you never want to sand indoors. Fumes will fuck up your brain, fine particulates will fuck up your lungs. Even wearing a respirator, something you should be doing regardless, won't protect you from all that dust sitting around your home.
>>
>>8990107
same anon again. I'm being really spacey and forgot the rest of my response. You should use joint compound, the stuff used for dry wall, to fill in any gaps, smooth out, reinforce the clay, etc. You can also sand it which is good.

I asked because I think it looks really good. Actually, the whole staff is lookin pretty good aside from the details you already acknowledged.

What are your plans for the floating prism?
>>
Can i get some really really basic sewing advice?

i have a simple dress and i want all of the ends (sleeves, neck, end of dress) in a different colour. How do i attach my second fabric without visible threads?

No bias tape, i want the second fabric too be quite wide.
>>
>>8989390
Be sure to dump on talcum powder until that mother is chalk white. Then blow dryer it off. I think?
>>
>>8990264

Bias tape. Cut it yourself. If you have a completely straight hem on the skirt or cuffs you can cut the strip for that on the grain. Attach invisibly from the front and stitch in the ditch to finish the back.
>>
Does anyone have any idea how to make Suicide Squad Harley Quinn shoes?
>>
File: Plastidip test.jpg (187 KB, 540x536) Image search: [Google]
Plastidip test.jpg
187 KB, 540x536
This is kinda dumb but is there something special you're supposed to do to craft foam before you spray it with plastidip. Most armor tutorials that include plastidip say to put on a few coats and then it's like perfectly smooth. I've put 3 coats on and it still looks pours and gross. [see attached pic]

Any tips or tricks that help make it smooth or should I just keep doing coats?
>>
>>8990020
Maybe sew lighter wefts to the under part of the wig at the ends?

AHHHHHHH so excited for Diabolik cosplay!
>>
>>8990486
I haven't worked with Plastidip but generally when spray painting craft foam you seal it first with Mod Podge or watered down PVA glue (the white kiddy craft glue). But if people who -have- worked with it state that more layers will seal it all, then I'd go for it. Nothing like a bit of trial and error.
If it works out, I'll have learned something new too.
>>
File: cape.jpg (26 KB, 457x500) Image search: [Google]
cape.jpg
26 KB, 457x500
HELP ME BUY A CAPE

I'm looking for a decent vampire's cape, preferably black with red lining. I don't need anything fancy, but I'd like it to have that generic pop-up Dracula collar. Just something that would fit a 5'9 man and cost under $20 (the cheaper the better) including shipping. Can /cgl/ recommend good places to start looking?

BONUS QUESTION
how hard would it be to make a cape like this with little experience? collar included?
>>
>>8990486
Apparently it takes 7 coats for auto trim before it looks good, so I'd just keep going.
>>
>>8990535
A cape like that is easy to make, but if you're considering making it or asking someone else to make it, you'll be spending at least $20 just on materials. And those would be cheap costume quality materials.
>>
>>8990553
Well fuck making it then.
Any advice on where to buy one?
>>
>>8990264
I'm having problems envisioning what it is exactly you want. If you sew it correctly, threads shouldn't even show in the seams?

>>8990535
Wait until 2-3 weeks after Halloween when stores are getting rid of their junk, maybe you'll find a cape in that budget range then.
>make it
Not hard but somewhat annoying if you want to do a good job of it because of amount of floor/table space you need for spreading out the fabric, then the many yards of sewing and seams. And you'll be looking at 4-5 yards = way more than $20 needed on it unless you're buying like all muslin
>>
>>8990581
Thanks for the practical advice. I thought about waiting til after Halloween, but I wanted to give it as a gift this July. Anyway, thanks.
>>
>>8990486
This looks to me like a combination of not shaking the can enough, and then putting it on really thick. You need to shake the can a lot, and keep shaking after every few passes. And those passes should be very light and at least 15 cm from the foam. 3-4 passes like that and it should look fine.
>>
>>8990234
>>8990261
Agreed, I never sand indoors unless a miniscule touchup and absolutely neccessary. We have a tiny little porch type thing with an outlet nearby that's ideal for sitting and doing that, i just can't leave anything there because it'll be in the way of the front door and get accidentally wrecked. And already using joint compound actually, though i might need to go buy some more

And thanks, I appreciate it! As for the prism, I'm actually in the process of cutting it from that pink insulation foam. Will of course seal and resin coat it before painting. Might try a couple options in terms of the floating aspect and see what looks best, maybe just a single clear rod of some sort to support it? Gonna experiment a bit still on that front
>>
File: 41ysjnfgw9L.jpg (28 KB, 500x483) Image search: [Google]
41ysjnfgw9L.jpg
28 KB, 500x483
I'm having an awful time with the tension on my brand new Brother XL2600i machine. I literally just got it, read through the manual, and sat down to mess around with it and get comfortable sewing on it.

The tension of the bottom thread is fucked and will not hold the top thread in place. It's also causing the fabric to bunch up as soon as it's done sewing, and no matter what I do to the thread length and tension settings it keeps happening.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Or have similar experiences. I'm seriously pissed right now, I JUST bought this and it's already having issues.
>>
>>8990711
You're probably not threading it correct on the top AND/OR the bottom.

Get out a piece of mediumweight cotton and regular all-purpose thread, not the shiny Sulky rayon pretty stuff.

Set top tension to 4. Follow every twist and turn of the thread according to the handy visual guide on the machine or in your instruction manual for the top bobbin. The bottom is a drop-in, but still follow the instruction/visuals to a tee about how the bottom bobbin threads, this includes the clockwise vs. counterclockwise orientation of how the thread unravels.

I'd imagine you're using the default needle the machine comes with (90/14 Organ universal) so that shouldn't be a problem.

Put it on straight stitch and try again.
I have its slightly fancier cousin, the CS6000i, and tension problem is common with these machines...mainly because people fail to thread the bobbins correctly on the top and/or the bottom.
>>
>>8990711
>>8990743
Also, where are you putting the top bobbin? Did you install the optional pole thingie that sticks out from the top of the machine, on the right side, behind the bobbin winder tool? I've seen in my share of sewing machine troubleshooting that people think the nearly horizontal pole thing for thread in the middle-back of the machine is meant for their top bobbin/thread spool when it is not.
>>
File: $_35.jpg (6 KB, 223x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
6 KB, 223x300
I need a mask thats literally my face shape, so I'm thinking about doing a face cast like this and using it as a mold/base for my mask, but what should I do it from? EVA foam doesn't look good, worbla is too rough...
>>
>>8990743
I'm doing literally all of these steps exactly as you've described and still have a problem, and I am not doing this >>8990745

Is my machine just defective or something?
>>
>>8990757
Not sure what your problem is then without just spending 10 minutes fiddling around. It can still be one of many things (or many things coming together into one here).
Other possibilities
>Correct bobbin size?
>Is the needle bent?
>Have you gotten someone else sewing-savvy to thread the machine and use it like they would to see if they can replicate your results?
>>
>>8990772
It's brand new out of the box

>Correct bobbin size?
It came with bobbins that are the correct size, and I'm using only those
>Is the needle bent?
No, it's brand new and looks fine
>Have you gotten someone else sewing-savvy to thread the machine and use it like they would to see if they can replicate your results?
I'm not a beginner, I've been sewing for a while and am pretty competent with most machines I've used. I had to replace my old one and I have no idea why this one is fucking up so bad right out of the box. I don't have any friends or relatives other than my mom (who's a state away) that know about sewing. I've done everything that would have fixed this on my old machine, and while that one wasn't a Brother it shouldn't have been this different.

I guess I'll just see about getting it returned then. Fucking hell...
>>
>>8990849
Did you try a different needle or the one it came with? A dull needle can cause a ton of weird damage.
>>
>>8990878
A new needle seems to be making things even worse!
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 361x556) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 361x556
Does anyone know of a blouse pattern like this? Or at least one with the dickie thing?
>>
>>8991024
Any regular collared button down shirt pattern will work for this. The dickie is decorative so you don't need to do any alterations to the fit or shape of the seam to add it. Just draw a straight line (not curved if you want to add the pintucks) from the shoulder down to the end point in the front and add seam allowance.
>>
>>8990579
The only way you'll get a vampire cape for under $20 is if it's literally plastic.
>>
is it weird to purposely use the wrong side of a fabric?
>>
>>8991154
No. Designers do it too.
>>
>>8991154
Not at all. I use the wrong side of satin whenever I need that drape and weight but not the shine.
>>
What's MTO?
>>
File: Komaedawig.jpg (688 KB, 3456x5184) Image search: [Google]
Komaedawig.jpg
688 KB, 3456x5184
>>8986071
I used Ardas Jareth in white and tea/coffee dyed the ends.
>>
>>8990711
I've had it with new sewing machines that the lower thread tension was just not taken care of at all. Maybe just google how to fix it on your machine. Just don't go in too big steps, if it's a screw mechanism about 1/4 of a turn should suffice.
>>
>>8991250
made to order
>>
Has anyone here ever bought Sonico's headphones? If so where from?

I need them pretty soon and There are quite a few sellers.
>>
>>8991324
That looks nice. What product did you use to style it?
>>
>>8991324
Holy shit, it looks great! Thanks anon!
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 91

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.