[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's /cgl/'s opinion on using multi density fibre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: mdf.jpg (4 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
mdf.jpg
4 KB, 259x194
what's /cgl/'s opinion on using multi density fibre board for prop construction?
>>
Good but it can be really fucking heavy because of how MDF is formed
>>
It really depends on what you are planning to use it for. I find 8mm thick MDF (or 12mm if you are going tall) to have the perfect balance between strength, weight and most importantly, price. It's also extremely easy to work with when compared to real wood.

However MDF comes with some major downsides. As it basically is compressed and glued together saw dust, it doesn't really allow itself to be filed or sanded down smoothly. This makes adding smooth contours or rounded edges a real pain in the arse when compared to say, alder wood.
MDF also requires a lot of attention when it comes to painting. Degreasing is a must as is using wood stopper considering how MDF absorbs liquids like crazy. Getting an even coat is also next to impossible as the sawn off edges (or filed parts) will retain a noticeable colour difference, even after applying several layers of primer and paint.
Honestly, if you are planning to paint MDF or apply smooth edges you are probably better off covering it with plastidip, foam, wood glue or something and painting that instead. Other than that, MDF is great.
>>
>>8944640
It's also crazy fragile if you're cutting narrow or bevelled pieces. Cerulean Draco largely uses MDF for his props and a number of friends have had his props arrive broken.
>>
File: got wood.jpg (214 KB, 1198x447) Image search: [Google]
got wood.jpg
214 KB, 1198x447
>>8944654
Yes, I forgot to mention that. Thicker slabs of MDF also tend to be softer on in the inside, which while making it more flexible thus stronger for bigger pieces, also makes it more prone to breaking when cutting it down to thinner pieces.

I also forgot to mention that once MDF breaks you will never be left with a clean break (see image). This means you can't just glue it back together on the spot and will instead require intensive sanding. And even then, there is a fair chance it won't fit or attach properly.
>>
It laser cuts well and I like that there's no grain. Fragility sucks though.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.