[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help Thread!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 96
File: help.jpg (27 KB, 309x425) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
27 KB, 309x425
All questions go here!
Previous Thread
>>8927599
>>
Is it okay to alter a design for a cosplay if you're just making it sfw?
I would just be covering the cleavage and making the skirt a bit longer, nothing drastic.
>>
>>8944358
no. if you don't cosplay strictly true to canon designs then the cosplay punishment squad reserves all rights to beat you unconcious.
>>
>>8944358
imo that's fine. you kind of have to in some cases if you don't want the cops called on you *i'm lookin at you, ryuko*
but i think it's fine to alter a design a little bit in general anyways, if it's for stylistic reasons, so maybe my opinion doesn't count
>>
File: 20160403_173902.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160403_173902.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
I bought a pre-braided wig for Arda because I'm going to be cosplaying a character with braids, but after just a few minutes of wear and styling the hair looks incredibly messy. Is there a way to smooth everything out again, or is my only hope in undoing the braids and doing them over again? Sorry if the photo turns out sideways.
>>
Simple yet stunning cosplays. Travelling interstate and entering a comp. need something light and amazing
>>
Anyone know which character this is?
>>
>>8944559
get a more original story that hasn't been rehashed for every single board and also reposted on reddit x 100
>>
>>8944518
You could try stuffing each hair back into the braid using a relatively thick needle, but that sounds insanely time consuming
>>
posting from the last thread. Any advice on how to make Doctor Fate's eye of Anubis? Everything I've seen so far has been awful since it's difficult to sculpt perfect circles.
>>
>>8944789
Get yourself a clay extruder and make perfect circles with ease!
>>
>>8944789
A turn table/potters wheel and a device to hold a stylus in place over wet clay and a cookie cutter to stamp out the shape, perhaps? That could give you perfectly centric grooves on a circle.
>>
I need help. If you can believe it, my friend's looking for a bunnysuit, or perhaps a good method of making one. Since I'm well-known to be the obsessive creep on this subject, she's asking me for help. While I've been looking, I see a lot of flimsy ones being sold online, and yet a lot of pretty cosplayers who've pulled their suits off very well.

Would anyone happen to have experience with these bunnysuits, or have a good way of going about making one? Maybe even know a place to buy a nice one? It seems she's looking for a black one in particular, or at least that's all she's found so far, but red might work well on her as well.

Lastly, I should mention she's about 5'7, quite thin, and somewhat small-chested. I don't think she'd like me to post pics, also.

Pic related is the best point of reference I've found for a well-made suit, but I'm no expert.
>>
What's the best way to print or stencil a pattern onto fabric? It needs to be reusable. The pattern is something I could cut out as a stencil but I need to cover too much square footage to use freezer paper.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-01-16-45-47.png (261 KB, 307x479) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-01-16-45-47.png
261 KB, 307x479
Does anybody has any idea on how to construct realistic-looking flesh like in this picture?
>>
Repost from last thread since I posted close to autosage:

So my boyfriend needed a fairly complex wig. He commissioned this person off coscom after only looking at their reviews on there, which are fairly good. However the progress/finished photo of this wig is absolute shit. I asked their name and upon googling their DA it's very apparent they only turn out shit. Everything is cut poorly and a greasy matted mess. Is he out of line to either request a refund or file a PP claim? He SHOULD have done better research instead of being impatient, but the work this person is shitting out is by no means worth the money.
>>
>>8944947
PP claim should cover it under 'Item Not As Described' if the category still exists.
>>
>>8944944
Make the base out of papermache/fabric/worbla and use coloured silicone/latex for the spongy, gooey, shiny texture.
Make the teeth and eyes out of different material, too, and matte out some skin.
>>
>>8944947

For curiosity's sake, is the person Chaos Fox? The description matches her shitty work.
>>
So, I was an idiot and I didn't properly mask a shirt I was airbrushing. I got a bit of paint where I don't want it. I got most of it out with soap and water, but there's still a visible smudge. Any ideas for getting acrylic paint out of fabric?
>>
>>8945206
Try getting it out with acrylic thinners? except i have no clue what effect that might have on the material you're using so test out on a spare/non-visible part if there are any unwanted effects of dabbing thinner on the material
>>
File: Metis_render.png (2 MB, 1274x2432) Image search: [Google]
Metis_render.png
2 MB, 1274x2432
First time making something "armor"-like. Is it smart to make all the black parts out of worbla or is there better material to make it out of? Making everything out of Worbla seems like a waste.
>>
>>8945086
Yup! It's just a mess...
>>
>>8944795
I'm concerned about taking those strips and turning them into circles. Like blending the seam without ruining the extruded shape. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

>>8944888
I think I can imagine this working. I'm actually going for a much simpler version that's just the lip around the edge and the dome in the center. If I combine both ideas, maybe I can work something out. Thanks, anons
>>
>>8944943
If you need to make a really large, reusable stencil, your best bet is to get one custom printed, cut, and laminated.
Otherwise, just use multiple sheets of paper and either piece them together or use them piece by piece.

What are you trying to do? Having a picture of the final product would help us give you some advice.

If you're talking about how to apply paint using the stencils, just use decent quality acrylic paint, fabric medium, and a little water if it's super thick and dab it on using a sponge.
>>
>>8945543
you could look up craft foam armor tuts. you'd be impressed by the kind of shit people can do with craft foam
>>
>>8939178
Where do I get these beauties?
>>
>>8945660
It doesn't have to be large, but paper has the same problem as freezer paper. It's not reusable. I need to stencil a design on trim so it's narrow but it totals out to about 5 meters in length. Way too much to cut stencil to cover the entire thing.
>>
>>8945771
cardboard or cardstock
>>
>>8945771
>>8945775
Just laminate it so it'll last longer, but not too much so it remains flexible. You can even use clear packing tape. Doesn't have to be super fancy.
>>
File: YHZp4wL.png (682 KB, 769x967) Image search: [Google]
YHZp4wL.png
682 KB, 769x967
What would be the best way to make this hat?

It should be able to kinda stand upright like pic related.
>>
Is there a fake theater dirt that'll also wash out of clothes?
>>
>>8945943
plenty of patterns for this type of hat exist, just google "wizard hat pattern"
as far as keeping it standing, you can run a bit of thick gauge wire through the back. Something firm enough to keep its form, but pliable enough to move around to shape. Alternatively you can stuff the hat. Sew a piece of fabric into the part where your head goes, deep enough to fit your head and then stuff the rest of the cone. Or do a combination of both for a full yet standing look.
>>
>>8946001
What you're looking for is called "Schmere". It comes in a wide variety of dirt colors and textures and is great as it won't rub off on other fabrics, or hands, but can be washed off.
http://www.wccsupplystore.com/schmere-products/

>>8945943
You'll want some strong interfacing. The iron on stuff might not be strong enough. Try something like buckram.

>>8944944
I've seen some nice versions of that dress made with wet look spandex and vinyl sewn into tubs and then stuffed with polyfill. Afterwards, they did some weathering and distressing, and it looked pretty great.

>>8944927
Whether buying it or making it, you'll want to make sure that it has proper boning. The main reason so many cheap bunny suits look like they don't fit well is that they don't have decent quality boning in them, which causes them to quickly lose their shape and sag.

>>8944789
Is sculpting the only way you want to do this? Because the shape isn't too complex and could easily be done with foam and worbla or wonderflex and bondo.
>>
File: image.gif (300 KB, 480x311) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
300 KB, 480x311
>>8946033
>Schmere
Bless you, Anon.
>>
>>8946033
>>8944789
Absolutely not. I only mentioned sculpting because that's the route a lot of fate cosplayers take and the result is always really lumpy. I mentioned in the last thread this seems lathe-able, but unfortunately I don't have access to one.
>>
>>8946076
Okay, a cheap, but effective way is straight foam and plastidip.
Here is a pretty good video tutorial. The video quality isn't great, but the guy knows is stuff and will talk you through every step.
https://youtu.be/ODSNPYdvJRo
>>
File: Amulet_of_Anubis_02.jpg (16 KB, 272x239) Image search: [Google]
Amulet_of_Anubis_02.jpg
16 KB, 272x239
>>8946115
whoa, I'm not talking about the helmet. I've already got a sculpt going for that, nor am I criticizing other people's helmets.

I'm talking about the amulet of anubis, which I erroneously called the "eye of anubis". I guess I wasn't very clear and got it mixed up with the eye of agamotto when I typed it.

It's this thing that Fate wears around his neck.
>>
>>8946151
Yea there are a lot of people that think "WORBLA AND FOAM FOR EVERYTHING" but a good hardcast is always ideal over something as fragile as worbla or bulky as foam.
>>
>>8946151
You post a picture of a helmet and ask for help and then get upset when a helpful anon tells you how to make a helmet? Why not just post a picture of what you're actually making? Not everyone knows the names of all the accessories every character has.
>>
>>8946167
He specifically stated the amulet and the amulet is pictured below the helmet. Did you read the post?
>>
>>8946159
I don't knock the method, I'm just more familiar with sculpting and casting, so that's what I'm doing. I've seen some pretty good helmets made from foam, albeit much thinner pieces than featured in the video.

>>8946167
I'm clearly not the one getting upset. I admitted to my mistake of not being clear as well as the fact that I didn't call it an amulet, which is very obviously not a helmet. Also the amulet I'm referring to is also in that picture.
>>
>>8945356
Thanks! I'll try that.

>>8944943
I also need to make reusable stencil. I was thinking of using transparencies (like the ones they use on those old projectors) since I have a bunch of those.
>>
File: best worst girl.jpg (65 KB, 640x452) Image search: [Google]
best worst girl.jpg
65 KB, 640x452
Where can I find patterns? Or start learning to learn to make them from references alone?

I've been looking for something to make this jacket for a while but nothing comes close to the basics of it for some reason.
>>
>>8946608
Go to a fabric store. There are huge books here that show all the patterns that store currently carries. It's not likely that you will find a jacket pattern with that exact color blocking layout though, so you'll have to either paint it, or appliqué it, or piece panels together.

As for learning to make your own patterns, that takes a lot of time to learn. You have to know a lot about how patterns work first. Pattern drafting is a huge undertaking. I would start by learning how to use and read patterns first, then learn how to alter them gradually, until you are much more comfortable with them.
>>
File: Sonic_design_2.png (124 KB, 770x700) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_design_2.png
124 KB, 770x700
What would be the best material to make his scarf out of? I want it to be decently opaque and drape nicely but also flow in the wind.
>>
>>8946859
I would say some kind of rayon or knit. That would give you some nice drape.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
Does anybody have any experience with things like Oneday Skin Whitening creams? I'm white but with yellow undertones, and I would love to go pale for a particular costume.

Would something like this fixed in place with a body paint fixer like Kyolan's work?
>>
File: kei, just kei.jpg (527 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
kei, just kei.jpg
527 KB, 850x850
I am a beginner. How would one go about cosplaying this? Is there enough time between now and summer to finish something like this and not just half ass it? I'm not sure how much this is going to cost me in terms of time or money. It looks like the kind of thing that you would get from modifying or cutting latex/vinyl club wear.

And yes, I naturally have the skin tone and body type for it, just to preempt a shitstorm.

If there's anybody else also considering cosplaying classic Dirty Pair hit me up
>>
I know much bodyline dresses and such are disliked. (A skirt i bought myself had a pretty ugly texture, too) But as a newbie on a budget, Is it still accepted to buy bloomers+blouse etc from there? I'll still try to get dresses, shoes and bags from other places. Sorry if i formulate words badly, Im not great at english
>>
>>8946977
i think a lot of these are things you're going to have to either be more specific about or find the answer to on your own, anon. are you asking what kind of material to use? are you confused onto how to do the pattern? i'm just asking because you're unlikely to get any advice as-is
>>
>>8946977
you go about it by making the costume, buying a wig and putting them on. if you want a breakdown of the parts I can give you one, but as >>8947445 said your question is way too wide right now.
I don't know if there's enough time between now and summer because I don't know your definition of summer nor your crafts skills/prior experience. it could definitely be done by someone skilled, it could work out otherwise.

also
>just to preempt a shitstorm
nobody gives a fuck about different skintones, and nobody gives a fuck about body type unless you're a literal hambeast trying to squeeze into a size 0 bikini

>>8947436
bodyline is quite well-loved still, some of their dresses are just shit quality and some are worn almost exclusively by itas. blouses are 100% fine (as long as they're the nicer ones they have; look up reviews), bloomers should be fine but they're honestly ridiculously easy to make yourself so I wouldn't buy them, and shoes from bodyline are actually great from what I've heard so you should def get shoes from there, especially if there's a sale
>>
Is it possible at all to remove fabric paint? I'm about to use it to finish a costume but I have the shakiest hands ever and I'm worried about messing it up terribly. I know just washing it out doesn't work, so is there anything else I can do to touch it up or anything? (stencils generally don't help keep my work super clean either unfortunately)
>>
>>8947595
Instead of freehanding it, make a stencil. If you're still worried you'll mess it up, put some tape around the edges so even if you mess up, it'll go on tape. Peel up the tape after the paint dries. If the clothing is doubled over and the fabric paint could bleed through to the other side, put cardboard in between the layers.
>>
Is it ok to wear a fancy cutsew under a underbust jsk or will i get trashed for committing a lolita sin?
>>
What type of jacket is this? Want to know so I can look for a good base
>>
>>8944529
Second this.

That sword design is amazing. I must make one.
>>
File: Bill.png (103 KB, 513x440) Image search: [Google]
Bill.png
103 KB, 513x440
>>8944529
It strikes me as a Monster Hunter design, but I'm not entirely sure; it's been a while since I played.

As for me, it's my first time making a 'mascot suit' kind of cosplay, and I figured I'd do Bill Cipher because he's a pretty simple design. Does anyone have any tips?

Also, is EVA foam fine to make it with, or should I use Worbla/something else?
>>
>>8947697
that looks like a heavily specialized marching band or military theme jacket. The things on the shoulders are called epaulettes, but you can just google "jacket with shoulder tassels" and get better results. As far as finding a base, your best bet looks like getting a red p/leather jacket and adding all the trim and epaulettes.

>>8947907
I think EVA foam is fine as long as you use the thicker stuff. I don't think there's any need to use worbla. It'll only add a lot of unnecessary weight. If you look at other people's Bill Ciphers they seem to have either covered their base material in fabric or used yellow upholstery foam.
As far as tips, I'd probably support the costume on my shoulders rather than my head/neck. After a while walking around con or wherever it'll put a lot of strain on your neck.
>>
File: Tharja_(FE13_Artwork).png (403 KB, 418x900) Image search: [Google]
Tharja_(FE13_Artwork).png
403 KB, 418x900
Aw shit posted in the wrong help thread.

Anyway. What fabric do you think would be best for Tharja's gold trim? I thought about using vinyl, but I'm a little at a loss because I want all the gold on her outfit to match and I'm not sure how to make her accessories with vinyl.

If it helps, I was thinking of using velvet for the cape, skirt thing, and top.
>>
File: ZuNQCpr.gif (1024 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
ZuNQCpr.gif
1024 KB, 500x375
>>8947501
> if you want a breakdown of the parts I can give you one
Yes, please.
I honestly don't know where to begin.

If it turns out that the default canon outfit is out of my reach then just about any Kei fashion will do.

I just like Kei
>>
File: d23-expo[1].jpg (186 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
d23-expo[1].jpg
186 KB, 1000x600
D23 questions:
>Do I need to create a "General Membership" (the free account) in order to register for the D23 Expo? I'm down to do it, but would rather not inundate my inbox with emails for the next three months if I can avoid it.
>For people who have gone before: $60 for one-day and $180 for three-day - is it worth it?
>>
File: image.jpg (573 KB, 880x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
573 KB, 880x1200
>>8948314
Can you not just make the accessories out of craft foam and then cover them with vinyl? Pic related did that with stretch fabric and it looks decent and all the golds match.
>>
>>8948314
Personally I was thinking of doing what the other anon suggested and making the accessories out of craft foam and covering them. It seems like the easiest route.
Btw, what colors are you doing? I can never really tell what they are. Some people do a blue cape with black bra and skirt, others do all blue or all back, or blue skirt and cape with black bra. Does it matter all that much?
>>
>>8946939
Whitening creams can be cancerous, don't even bother. Just use a pail foundarion, and if you need to do your legs, wear dancers tights
>>
>>8945714
Does anybody have leads on this? My sister says Bodyline, but I don't see them there.
>>
File: lacus-compilation.jpg (1 MB, 1524x1820) Image search: [Google]
lacus-compilation.jpg
1 MB, 1524x1820
Does anyone have any particularly strong opinions about what Lacus's dress should be made out of?

My current plan is sateen, because it will hold the skirt pleats.
>>
>>8948702
Not sure about the other two but the right one looks like Alice and the Pirates to me.
>>
>>8947907
Use foam, not Eva. This way it will hold shape and still be soft enough to sit down, be hugged and walk through full corridors.
Make straps inside to pass your arms through like a backpack.
Cover it with stretch fabric and be careful with the glue you choose
>>
>>8948726
there's a tutorial in the tutorial thread for a skirt like hers anon! I can't be bothered finding it and linking since all the thumbs in that thread are microscopic and I'm tired. Know it's not what you're asking, but thought I'd let you know.
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 600x448
Repost from last thread:

Anyone know the name of this dress? Seller says its AP but I can't find it on lolibrary.
>>
>>8948930
Hellolace is dead, you probably wont find it.
Not every dress has a name anon, especially generic old school stuff like that
>>
>>8948933
I see, thanks anon!
>>
>>8948930
If you want to be absolutely sure it's AP, ask the seller to take a picture of the tag.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 238x370) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 238x370
How do you get fabric to hang like this? In my head the pattern is like a circle skirt, but I don't think I'm right.
>>
>>8949050
It's called a flounce. Like circle skirt, it's cut on the curve. You can cut a flounce in a spiral or as a portion of a circle depending on the fullness and drape you want. If you google the term you'll get images and tutorials.
>>
Yo gulls who the frick is this
>>
File: Link_Hyrule_Warriors.png (2 MB, 1055x2000) Image search: [Google]
Link_Hyrule_Warriors.png
2 MB, 1055x2000
any thoughts on what sort of fabric could be used to get the right texture for link's tunic here? i was thinking suedette or something but when i've seen it used it looks like it falls a bit flat?
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1089x1800) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1089x1800
>>8949142
Might help if I add a picture wow
>>
>>8949072
Sweeeet thanks anon! I had no idea what it was called despite searching!
>>
>>8949144
Suede or Velveteen :)
>>
>>8949144
>>8949148
okay, thanks anon. if i do go for suede then (most of the velveteens i've found either look cheap or cost about £30 a metre and are the wrong colour anyway) could you dye it with polyester dye the same as a "plain" fabric?
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 332x443) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 332x443
Where can I buy one or how do I
Make this
>>
>>8949179
don't you will look like a moron.
>>
>>8949185
Guess I'll start saving for that boob job then aye
>>
>>8949179
If you need cleavage that actually shows, look up breastforms and be prepared to shell out a lot of money. If you just need boobs, buy a bra and do some stuffing
>>
>>8948316
you still didn't give any information about when you need it and any prior experience but ok...

clothes: I'd actually consider using a thicker, military clothing kind of fabric for this. vinyl is shitty to work with (especially as a beginner), and you're unlikely to find clubwear with the right colour and fit. it's a pretty basic low-cut vest and shorts, just with hip cutouts. you can do boot covers pretty easily, there's a load of tutorials up on the tut thread here right now. a glove and a ribbon shouldn't be hard to make either. the orange trim can be done using ribbon (kinda annoying to stitch and shiny), actually trimming that stuff with orange fabric (similar heavy type fabric; might be a bit awkward to work with), or by using fabric paint (pre-tape shit before doing this for nice lines, and try it out on a scrap first).
the belt you'll probably just have to try and hunt down, bright coloured belts shouldn't be too hard to come across - or you could try dying a white one. those ones out of weird plasticky fabric should work for dying. I can't really help you on the holster.
armbands: I have no idea what material these are supposed to be, but fabric/ribbon is probably easiest.
I believe there's a pretty similar nerf gun available and there are countless nerf gun mod (paint) tutorials online, so that's by far the easiest way to do that. if you don't want a nerf you could try to make the prop yourself, which I can't help you with. also don't know much about wig, but it looks like it might have to be a lacefront, which is challenging.

I can't really tell you if you'll be able to do it without knowing anything about your current skills. I'm not sure if I would attempt it myself (I'm not particularly good at sewing but I've made a basic dress myself, with some help drafting and making darts), but if I did I would make mockups of the vest, shorts and glove first to check the fit.
>>
File: 41qGlnbx1XL._SX342_[1].jpg (12 KB, 342x274) Image search: [Google]
41qGlnbx1XL._SX342_[1].jpg
12 KB, 342x274
>>8949189
what outfit is it for? if you only need cleavage buy pic related and a super padded bombshell bra to fake it. or buy the silicone ones that drag queens etc use. otherwise you'll get 500 comments about how 'your tits look weird/gross' because those do not look nice at all. the girl who popularized those was either too dumb to research that what she made already existed or too cheap to spend the money on it.
>>
File: 1363550435767.jpg (209 KB, 850x1188) Image search: [Google]
1363550435767.jpg
209 KB, 850x1188
anyone know where I can find Poofy balls to make the front of momizi's shirt
I cant find anything locally
>>
>>8949203
Pretty such everything. I'm 29 and have the chest size of a 12 year old boy. I also have a massive butt so I just want my costume to fit nicely and look proportioned. Mostly for Bunny Suits and breast plates
>>
>>8949230
>chest of a 12 year old boy
give measurements, anon! my chest is tiny too, but i look like i have massive tatas when i use that method, it's crazy! even my friends did a double take!
>>
>>8949233
B: 32"
H: 27"
W: 38.5"

Also I'm defs not 29 I'm 20 bahahah
>>
>>8948558
Not that anon, but I'm working on a Tharja right now and I'm doing all blue but a friend of mine is doing all black. It really doesn't matter since all color variations are recognizable/have been done at this point (and you could argue whether it's stylized black or really blue to justify it). If you're not sure what to do for your own, I'd just do whatever flatters your skintone best.
>>
>>8949222
A) Buy a giant pom-pom ball

B) Make your own with yarn and a Clover pom-pom ball maker
>>
>>8949145
do you even know how to reverse google image search? Took me less than two minutes

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Caster_(Fate/Grand_Order_-_da_Vinci)
>>
>>8949179
http://technoranma.tumblr.com/post/111435123211/the-boobs-you-made-for-your-cosplay-what-material

and

http://cosplay.kotaku.com/cosplay-boobs-reinvented-1686484199

First link is the Kill La Kill cosplayer who made her own take on the method. The picture you linked was made by a Japanese cosplayer. The KLK cosplayer used the same method as the Japanese cosplayer, but used liquid latex to cover the breasts instead of fabric. And it's unclear how the KLK'er made her straps

Keep in mind that this isn't 100% all purpose because you have to cover the seams with whatever costume you're wearing.
>>
>>8949299
I actually don't so thanks heaps anon!
>>
>>8949338
well shoot. If that's the case if you're using chrome as your browser (I'm uncertain if it works on any other browsers because I haven't tried) you can just right click the picture and there should be an option that says "Search Google for image". It doesn't work 100% but enough where it should be the first thing people do.

Sorry for being snarky, anon. I really shouldn't assume everyone knows everything I know.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 350x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 350x420
Help! How do I go about doing this wig without looking tacky
>>
>>8949664
It's a tacky design, you have no hope. Just make sure your base wig is a light, powdered lilac and sew in wefts.

>blouseless lolita looking dress
>>
>>8949667
I know, but she was my sisters favourite. She is really sick at the moment and I thought it'd cheer her up to see her come to life. Thanks anon. I really do appreciate it
>>
>>8949222
White fur with cotton balls for stuffing. Just cut out circles and hand stitch them in to balls.
>>
>>8949254
lol oh, do you have your cup size(or underbust)? my bust is only 33" and i some how manage.
>>
>>8949202
>you still didn't give any information about when you need it and any prior experience but ok...
Otakon.

Very little experience. Last few time was with body paint and the wearing a store bought gothloli dress.

I will check the tutorial thread, thanks!!!
>>
File: 1432034904935.jpg (960 KB, 800x1131) Image search: [Google]
1432034904935.jpg
960 KB, 800x1131
I'm planning on cosplaying the girl on the left for a con in may. I want her dress to have metallic gold stripes but I can't find any top-mid weight fabric with stripes. Should I just go with the fabric that I found (it's a home furnishing fabric which probably won't drape that well) or should I scrap the plan? I don't have enough time/patience to paint the stripes on by hand.
>>
>>8950037
>gothloli
gtfo
>>
File: 426.jpg (47 KB, 520x260) Image search: [Google]
426.jpg
47 KB, 520x260
How should I go about covering my face/neck for this cosplay? I don't really want to use face paint since you'd still see my features & eyelashes/brows and Ashe is just a dark pit.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (6 KB, 235x300) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
6 KB, 235x300
>>8950357
Use a black zental hood.
>>
File: prosthetics.png (185 KB, 390x334) Image search: [Google]
prosthetics.png
185 KB, 390x334
>>8950357
A balaclava for the neck with a face panel you can see though? Something like black tights stretched a bit so you can see.

My question, does anyone have a tutorial specifically for prosthetics that go well into the hairline; or even a search term for what I'm looking for? Pic related kind of shows what I mean, but what I'm specifically looking for is more like a normal wig, with a big scar/bald patch that goes into the hair on one side.
>>
>>8950257
Scrap the plan. Look at the taper and continuity through the bodice: it looks like it's mean to be pieced together out of two kinds of fabric.
>>
File: shorts.jpg (51 KB, 500x407) Image search: [Google]
shorts.jpg
51 KB, 500x407
I asked in the last thread, but does anyone have any idea of where to find shorts like this? Also, how gay would they look on a 6'5" man? (Going for straight-gay, not gay-gay.)
>>
>>8950370
You asked in this thread too and you got an answer >>8948730
There are also quite a few pants that would suit ouji under Bodyline's punk category.
If you're very tall you might want to go with a longer pair of pants; knee length knickerbockers don't look good on everyone.
>>
File: Dorkyhat.png (353 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Dorkyhat.png
353 KB, 1024x768
So for a con in August I am going as Kylo Ren and a friend of mine is going as Hux and we have finished his costume and such but there is one thing we did not make. His dinky little hat which I have no clue on how to start or even what to use as a base. That is where I come to you CGL I would love some tips on how to make this thing.
>>
File: kek.jpg (33 KB, 500x470) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
33 KB, 500x470
>>8950403
I know nothing of the character, but Googling it makes me think of one of those sun hats with the back brim stiffened and flipped up.
>>
File: 800.png (146 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
800.png
146 KB, 625x626
>>8950370
>(Going for straight-gay, not gay-gay.)
>>
Does any anon know where I can find free fabric samples to test out?
>>
How do you find locations to take photos? I love taking pictures of cosplayers at conventions, but I'd love to do location shoots, too, but... I can't really figure out how to find places I can take someone in a full costume. Do I have to ask permission if I'm shooting in front of a building?
Any pointers would be appreciated.
>>
What would be the best kind of bra for stuffing
No showing is required im just flat
>>
>>8950548
samples of what? where are you located?
chances are if you're looking online you'll be charged a little and postage, if you go in person they'll generally give you them free, and going fabric shopping in person is generally best anyway if you have the chance since you can get a better feel for the fabric
>>
>>8950616
Im from MN, im specifically looking for fabric for cosplay. Im new to cosplay comm and want to start creating my own cosplay. But thanks for the tip anon! I'll look around for fabric stores around the area
>>
>>8950639
>fabric for cosplay
oh lord
what sort of thing are you thinking of making? there's no catch-all "cosplay fabric" you can use for everything
>>
>>8950452
Well I understood what he meant.

He wants to look bishonen, not yaoi.
>>
>>8949748
That sounds like a good Idea
I'll have to figure out how to stitch a ball though
>>
How would I make a Nightwing suit? I want to avoid lycra bodysuits because I don't like the aesthetic.
I'm looking for something more or less form fitting and allows a good range of motion. Something that looks like the picture.

Is that just a stretch vinyl bodysuit with padding?
>>
What con props are allowed at Airports?
ex. spikey armor and a spear for example.
>>
>>8950899
I would avoid carrying on any props/armor in general. But you can check in just about anything as long as it doesn't look like a bomb/ is actually flammable, etc.
>>
>>8950909
So would i just have to put the armor in a suitcase or...?
>>
>>8950913
Short answer is yes.
Is this your first time flying? I'm not asking to be condescending, but because there are some things you learn as you go.
Basically:
90% of airlines allow two "carry on" items. These are relatively small bags that you can have with you on the plane. There are a lot of restrictions on what you can carry on, no weapons, explosives, large volumes of liquids, there's a list if you search online.

There is also "checked luggage" which is your travel suitcases, boxes, whatever. This stuff goes in the cargo hold of the plane, so you won't have access to it until you get to your destination. There are size limitations, but not nearly as small as carry on items. There are also weight limitations, usually 50 lbs (off the top of my head). If you go over these limitations you're either not allowed to take it in or have to pay a pretty steep fee. Some airlines allow for one free checked bag, others charge, usually in the $40 ballpark, U.S. All this information also available online.
You want to check in your stuff. But you more than likely won't be able to check something over-sized like a spear in unless you're able to break it down into pieces to put in a suitcase. Baggage handlers, the people who load your stuff onto the plane, are also notorious for rough handling bags, so if you're taking anything fragile you better pad that thing to hell or don't be surprised if it's damaged when you land.

Airlines aren't exactly cosplay friendly.
>>
>>8950894
You could do stretch vinyl but its a bitch to sew. I think you could also use neoprene, but that's little harder to find and very insulated. I think that your picture is a molded chest plate over a stretch vinyl body suit but its hard to say for sure. Whatever the material, have some kind of sub dyed or airbrushed paint job will make a big difference in the look of the suit.
>>
>>8950941
Yes. At least first time flying alone that is. Thanks for the heads up Anon
>>
>>8950979
No problem. Glad I could help. Safe travels!
>>
Out of curiosity, is /cgi/ generous with money? i could use a hand.
>>
I'm after a good Flynn Rider jacket. Everything I've found so far online is either not that similar in design or the wrong colour. Making it myself isn't really an option as I have zero experience tailoring.
Anyone know of any good ones, or people who will take commissions for it?
>>
i recently got a pair of boots off of eBay for a RWBY cosplay. I fit a 6.5-7, so i ordered a 7 to eb safe. they've arrived and they're huge! at least 2 inches too big. Is there anyway to fill out the shoe comfortably? I don't have enough time to return them or exchange them...
>>
>>8951154
get that garbage out of here. Cosplay is a hobby. Don't choose buying fabric over rent or feeding yourself, you wanker.
>>
first time working with resin, I'd like to know what's a good primer to use for it?
>>
>>8951321
what kind of resin?
And by primer I assume you mean paint primer. Kyrlon and Rustoleum are both perfectly fine rattle can brands. You can buy cheaper spray paints at walmart, but they're cheap for a reason.

Depending on the resin, although this goes for most, fumes are toxic. Well ventilated work area, rated respirator. I don't know you well enough to want you dead.
>>
>>8951392
fiberglass resin.
yeah, primer before paint and whatnot.
>>
How do you order from Amazon if you aren't in America?

Good amazon shopping services?
>>
File: GodokaBow.png (903 KB, 1165x494) Image search: [Google]
GodokaBow.png
903 KB, 1165x494
About 2 years ago, I made a Godoka cosplay and attempted a bow to go with it but it all went to shit.
I'm pulling the cosplay out for a con this Summer and I want a good bow and arrow that can survive a 5 hour coach journey. All the tutorials I've seen are complete pieces of shit.
I have no woodwork tools so I'd prefer not to use that and I'd prefer to use the base of the original bow

>>8951316
Stuff the boot with tissue paper til it fits and seal the tissue paper in with duct tape. Make sure to spread the filling evenly throughout the front and back of the shoe. Make sure to wear thick socks also.
>>
>>8951785
>Duct tape
Good way to make a nice pair of shoes complete shit.
Just stuff the toe with soft socks/cloth or something,.
>>
>>8951691
There's several versions of Amazon, off the top of my head there's Canada, Brazil, several European countries, Japan and Australia that have their own site. They'll also often ship to neighbouring (or close enough) countries.

If you go to the bottom of each page, there'll be the Amazon logo. Underneath that is a list of the different country sites.
>>
>>8951792
Shit, I meant the brown, packing tape or masking tape, sorry
I just stuffed socks/cloth in there once and they moved round all day and I had to readjust it every half hour. I borrowed some tape off a friend for the next day and it was much more comfortable.
>>
I want to buy nice and affordable platform shoes, not familiar with taobao, only bought stuff from aliexpress and ebay before. I just saw amazing shoes at bodyline, HOLY SHIT THEY'RE CHEAP!

Are they low quality, how are the shipping costs etc??
>>
>>8951921
Bodyline's shipping is fucked right now so I'd wait it out. Also quality really changes from type to type.
>>
>>8951398
Anyone? Primer for use with fiberglass resin? Preferably something that's not too thick to start with, I've read that autobody primer is good but thick.
>>
>>8952248
Try the resin thread? Those people might have better suggestions that the help thread.
>>
>>8952248
dude. calm down.
This is a slow moving board, don't expect everyone to drop what they're doing and dive at your feet with answers.
Besides, you already got your answer. Any brand of spray paint will work. Krylon and Rustoleum are the big brands you can find just about anywhere and work consistently.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "too thick". It's paint. Despite what deviant art might want you to believe, you don't blast whatever you're painting point blank with a massive stream of paint. Read the instructions on the can, stay about a foot away and mist the thing with light passes. Let dry. Coat again. Rinse and repeat until you get the desired coverage.

If you want to watch somebody do it, check out the Tested channel on youtube. Particularly things featuring Adam Savage, the guy from Mythbusters. He doesn't use rattle cans every episodes, but when he does the man is a freaking master.
>>
>>8952403
What's there to calm? I came back a day later.

Anyway, you're confusing me. You're saying I can use spray paint as primer? As in the prep layer before actual coating of paint?
>>
>>8951785
What's your current bow made out of? If anything, you can make the details oit of foam and add them to the bow then give them a coating of rondo to make it sturdy.
>>
http://www.mbok.jp/item/item_481455762.html?_SRC=li_i0

Can anyone help me make sense of what exactly this person on mBok is selling? There's multiple items in the pictures and the description didn't translate very well.
>>
The various red and not red Templars in Dragon Age have a design on their chest plate but I can't tell if it's on top of the metal or cut out of it. It would be much easier to put it on top since I'm using EVA foam but does that seem accurate enough?
>>
>>8951691
Where are you located?

I live in a country that doesn't have its own Amazon but I order from Amazon UK and look for stuff that is listed as having both international and UK shipping rates which usually works well enough. Though they won't estimate shipping for you until right before you pay for it which is kinda annoying.
>>
>>8952729
i personally reckon it's cut out. if you're using really thick foam which would make that difficult, you could always just carve into it, sand it and paint it. i don't think it'd be catastrophic if you put it on top either, but it would probably be worth the effort cutting it in the end.
>>
File: tails.png (35 KB, 313x396) Image search: [Google]
tails.png
35 KB, 313x396
Has anyone sewn a tailcoat jacket? What material did you use? I was gonna go for a sturdy wool, but I'm not exactly sure where I could find a budget friendly type in the color I wanted. Also, what pattern did you use?
>>
What are some average built characters that have a beard and long hair
>>
File: punchline_38.jpg (142 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
punchline_38.jpg
142 KB, 1280x720
I need fabric suggestions for Strange Juice, the girl in the middle.

It's supposed to be like a superhero outfit and the side orange panels/cape are supposed to be transparent so I thought about making it with something like stretch vinyl, but I don't have a lot of experience with complicated designs in stretch fabrics. (I'm going to make a mock-up no matter what, but I don't want to buy draft fabric until I know what my final fabric will be)

I'm worried that vinyl will be really unflattering/show every wrinkle if I don't fit it perfectly, and for that matter even though I personally love the look of high gloss I know a lot of others think it looks tacky and I want to look good. I think I'll do the oranges on the sides and the cape in some kind of vinyl but as for the rest of the dress, I'm not sure. I'd love if it could have a bit of sheen to it (and ideally some stretch, but now I'm second guessing myself on the stretch part too) but I'm really clueless and don't even know names of fabrics despite sewing for years and years, I just go to the store and touch everything.... Also I know vinyl can be really unforgiving if you make a mistake and need to remove thread so I think I'd be better off going with real fabric instead of just plastic.

So, suggestions? Thanks!
>>
What is the curly heel called that btssb uses often in their shoe designs?
>>
>>8953171
Not the best help, but I wouldn't bother using stretch fabric for a dress that isn't fitted. For the transparent fabric, you can use chiffon/dyed chiffon or something similar that way.
>>
>>8952431
The other anon explained it just fine. There are spray cans of primer. Use those. This is now the third time you were given this answer.

>>8952950
Go here >>8919260

>>8953171
You are right that stretch vinyl would be best for this, but if you are hesitant to work with that, look for wet look spandex. It won't be as glossy, but will have a nice shine to it and is a bit more forgiving than vinyl. I do recommend that you attach a walking foot onto your machine, or, at the very least, use some tissue paper between the fabric. That should reduce some of the sliding it tends to do.
>>
>>8953171
Imo use vinyl for everything to keep it consistent but if you don't want to, >>8953189's suggestion is good. Be warned though wet look spandex can be really thin and hard to find in specific colours unless you're lucky enough to live somewhere with a good fabric district.
>>
>>8952431
Not the original anon who responded to you but yes there are spray primers available. I've usually just picked something that says it's suitable for plastics but autobody primers should work well considering cars tend to have fiberglass finishing. Just go to your local hardware store and ask the clerk.
>>
>>8952431
>I came back a day later.
You must be new around here.

also learn to google, you twat. First lesson is on me
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=spray+paint+primer
>>
>>8949145
Anon if you're interested, the next Fate/Grand Order event is going to feature Da Vinci. It'll most likely just be a trial quest (seeing her moves and Noble Phantasm) with Da Vinci available for Saint Quartz summoning (premium summoning with currency that you can earn slowly in game or buy with real money).
http://news.fate-go.jp/2016/koolug/
>>
File: Cyrus_portrait.png (391 KB, 627x669) Image search: [Google]
Cyrus_portrait.png
391 KB, 627x669
Working on Silas right now.
Wondering for the triangular pieces, between each torso piece, if I should use a base of silver painted EVA and layer over 2 pieces of craft foam and leave a space between the them to have the strip of silver or just use a single strip of craft foam painted silver on a black EVA foam piece?
>>
File: yINiWdi.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
yINiWdi.gif
1 MB, 500x281
I would like to cosplay as the producer from IM@S but my question is how do I make a solid mask that covers the eyes?
>>
>>8953378
i'm doing xander next year anon. for the gold lines on his i'm just going to use masking tape and paint on top of the black. if you really want to use another layer of craft foam though i'd say a single silver strip on top.
>>
>>8953567
Trust me, you don't want to be blind when you're at a con. Even having partial vision impairment sucks. And don't give me "I'll only put it on for pictures" cos how the hell are you gonna face a camera you can't see.

Best bet. Make the P out of foam and cut a small area where your eyes will be and put in a fine mesh that's the same color as the mask. Tulle works pretty well for this. It won't look perfect but you won't be blind.
>>
How do you use garters on lolita? I'm bit of a newb but today I saw AATP garters and thought is there a reason to buy them 'cause I suppose a lolita dress can never be so short to show them. Is it just for erololita? I'm not a big fan of buying expensive brand for something that cannot be shown.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
So im making a full suit if power armor, but its not gonna be done anytime soon.

Just needed help/opinions on throwing together a Fallout raider for the upcoming con next month. Heres all my armor and stuff I have avaliable and I have a gray trenchcoat I had made for the red armor that might look cool for the Raider.
Any thoughts or ideas?

(Im more than likely going to carry around the helmet it wear it half off for pics)
>>
>>8950872
Cut a circle out of fur and stitch a running stitch around the edge. Gather and stuff.
>>
>>8951300
That's perfectly do able for a competent commissioner. The issue is just what you're willing to spend and how fast you need it.
>>
>>8953807
I imagine they can be incorporated into ero, or ouji (depending on what they look like), or another style entirely. Remember that brands sometimes cater to other styles as well, not just lolita.
>>
>>8953634
I had always assumed that the producers had some magical way to see but I guess not. I'll go with just a face mask and using a cardboard P. I could use sunglasses to loop through the gap of the P too.
>>
File: normal_3DS_ZeldaOT_2_char04.png (553 KB, 899x899) Image search: [Google]
normal_3DS_ZeldaOT_2_char04.png
553 KB, 899x899
How the hell am I going to do this in two months. I don't even know where to start.
>>
>>8953851
wut. are you six?
and what are you rambling about? face masks, sunglasses?

>>8953867
You don't. If you don't even have a plan you're not going to get anything remotely close to acceptable quality unless you're some sort of god of sewing.
That being said, break it down into all its individual pieces and figure out how you want to make them. One at a time is usually best for sanity, but everyone has their own process.
Let me try and help.
Cloth elements:
cape, front part of the belt, forearms, shins, the undersuit (you can probably get away using a maskless zentai suit)
Foam elements (armor like or more rigid pieces):
Collar and pauldrons (this can be made into a connected piece or three separate elements, two shoulder pieces and the collar), Hand guards, thigh pieces, knee guards, shoe covers, potentially the rest of the belt.
arguably the torso/cod piece can be made from foam to match the aesthetic of the thigh pieces, however that means you won't be able to bend over/sit while you have it on.
Miscellaneous elements that can be made using a variety of methods: pyramid embellishments (you can sculpt them out of clay and cast them to have consistent copies, make them out of foam, use styrene or other similar plastic sheet), dot embellishments found on the collar and hands (dots of hot glue, paper fastners), jewelry the forehead piece, earings and necklace (will more than likely have to be sculpted, sculpey isn't the worst thing you could us)
If you want to go full masochist:
Hair, prosthetics and makeup.

Look at the design and don't look at it as a whole but the sum of it's shapes. Sometimes I like to look at my reference images upside down or cut it into pieces using gimp, shit but you could even use paint. It'll break up the overall form enough for your brain to not want to perceive it as "Ganondorf"

Google is your friend. Don't ask questions unless you've already asked them to google. Don't get results, change your search terms and try again
>>
>>8953895
>google as our lord and savior

WAKE ME UP
>>
Anyone have a good brand of hoodless white bodysuit? I'm intending on painting over it with Jacquard Dye-Na-Flow.

At the same time, anyone have any tips/suggestions on how to paint details with fabric dye?
>>
File: anthy-himemiya.jpg (82 KB, 382x550) Image search: [Google]
anthy-himemiya.jpg
82 KB, 382x550
I received a bunch of free red and white cotton sateen that I think would be perfect for an Anthy cosplay I have planned (for the main body of the dress, not the fluffy sheer overskirt). However, I'm worried about becoming a wrinkled mess throughout the day because it's cotton and the dress is fitted. Will it be manageable as long as I press the fabric before, during, and after construction? Or should I opt for something with more drape and synthetic content?
>>
File: 488_lina20si20amelia.jpg (56 KB, 300x518) Image search: [Google]
488_lina20si20amelia.jpg
56 KB, 300x518
A friend and I are thinking of doing the festival costumes from Slayers for fun and 90s anime indulgence.

My question is, how do we go about making voluminous perky miniskirts and attaching them nicely with that v-shaped waist? I've looked at tutorials for horsehair hems and sailor moon tutorials, but that doesn't look quite right. I'm worried that regular gathers would look messy at the waist, and pleats don't have enough volume.

Also, does anyone have a good source for cheap block heel pumps? Thanks.
>>
File: howlandsophie.jpg (49 KB, 400x807) Image search: [Google]
howlandsophie.jpg
49 KB, 400x807
Does anyone know where I can find a prairie dress pattern online like the one Sophie has?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
will i literally be blackfacing if i paint myself for martian queen tyr'ahnee?
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 329x447) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 329x447
I want to make a Queen Esther cosplay, but I'm kind of stumped about the main fabric? How would I go about finding some fabric with that kind of design that I could attach gemstones to? Or should I get the fabric printed? It seems like such a ton of work to do it myself. Does anybody know what I could do instead of having to embroider the fabric?
>>
>>8954523
If you're jumping into a costume that complex you should be prepared to do the embroidery and attach the gemstones. That dress looks all detail, and trying to do it with an 'easy' option like fabric printing will look bad.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you think you're prepared to make something so intense then you should be willing (and able) to use proper techniques.
>>
>>8954491
Are you black?
If you're black, paint yourself blacker, if you're white, tumblr will chew you to pieces.
>>
>>8954528
I was just asking since I don't have an embroidery machine, but I guess it's unavoidable. Would satin-stitching the details look horrendously terrible?

Also, what sort of fabric would you recommend? I did woe tests on bridal satin, but that stuff is super heavy even though the sheen is wonderful. Any alternatives that won't make me feel like I'm wearing the entire fabric store?
>>
>>8952782
Hm, okey. I'll see if I can replicate the carving method because this foam is really deep, otherwise I'll go with on top. Thanks for the tip!
>>
>>8954491
Not actually, no. Though that won't stop idiots on Tumblr from getting their panties in a twist.
>>
>>8954491
Since she's actually black, not racially black, there should be no issue, and if there is, it goes into guilt policing shadow Link drama territory.

Even with the Egyptian appearance, she's not "coded" as black like that character from SU that everyone threw a shitfit about.

Do it, and if people give you trouble, ignore them.
>>
Most con's ban functional guns. But how much can I remove and it'll be able to slide?
>>
>>8954648
throw away the gun and buy an airsoft
I don't think anyone will accept one unless it has the orange nose and is certified safe by your local authorities (bring a certificate, and if they still say no just leave it behind)
>>
Any one have resources or tips on making traditional miko garb? What materials are they made of? Any key points that shouldn't be overlooked? I'm into extreme accuracy.
>>
File: oh.png (497 KB, 447x555) Image search: [Google]
oh.png
497 KB, 447x555
I'm doing ladybug & chat noir's mask from liquid latex and I'm just wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion on how big of a bottle to purchase? the options around here are 1oz, 4.5, and 9.
>>
>>8954648
Nothing that you could slip a part or two out of your bag and make it functional. It's not going to be allowed, you can forget about it now.
Don't even try, you're wasting your time and the con's time.
>>
File: TBP-Madoka-Kaname.png (253 KB, 453x704) Image search: [Google]
TBP-Madoka-Kaname.png
253 KB, 453x704
I'm making Madoka's skirt following Rufflebutt's tutorial, top skirt is a circle skirt gathering top and bottom.
Some friend said I need at least x6 my size of skirt because of when you gather the fabric will make it shorten. I need at least 6x6 m but my fabric is 5x1'5 m. I cannot obtain more than 1'5 my length.
I dunno what can I do
>>
>>8954747
The width of your skirt will definitely shorten because you're gathering it, but that won't affect the length. So you you'll need to cut it to the length you want, but 6x your waist size.

In the case that you do need a piece of fabric 6X6 m, you'll have to cut the skirt in panels. ex. divide your waist into 6 parts (3 front, 3 back), each part should fit within the width of the fabric. If not, separate the skirt into more panels (my Akuma Homura originally had 12 panels).
>>
File: 537377.jpg (80 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
537377.jpg
80 KB, 600x450
So I'm planning to cosplay Kamina because his oufit's relatively simple and I'm still a bit of a fucking noob, but that collar bugs me. What would be the best/easiest way to get it to stand up, and stay up/in shape?
>>
>>8955184
It's called interfacing.
>>
>>8955188
Ah, nice. Thanks!
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 736x883) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 736x883
What would be good makeup to use for a jasper cosplay? I tend to sweat a lot and would need something or some way to not sweat off the makeup
>>
>>8955650
Any good theatre grade body paint will do, really. The trick is to be sure to use a setting powder/spray afterwards, and also use a sealer.
Also, I personally would only use the makeup on my face and chest, and not for my arms and hands. It's usually much harder to get that looking even on your own, and your palms sweat much more than most any other place on your body, and that may wear off. Instead, I would make some tight fitting sleeves with gloves in a color matching your makeup.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 1463x883) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 1463x883
I'm Going to a big con for 2 days, do you think it'd be a little much to get 2 variations of the same character for each day?
>>
>>8955765
That all depends on how much time you have to make the costumes. Many people take 3-4 costumes for 3 day cons, so 1 per day is not outrageous by any means. But again, that all depends on how much time you have to make them.
>>
>>8955790
The first one is a body suit and seperate wig. The second is a shirt a seperate pants and a separate wig, all of which are mostly on amazon
>>
File: image.jpg (196 KB, 644x1525) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196 KB, 644x1525
How can I add a wig to Midnas helmet?

Or should I even be using a wig, I've seen others shape the "hair" out of mâché or whatever.
>>
File: chara_img01_1.jpg (17 KB, 236x174) Image search: [Google]
chara_img01_1.jpg
17 KB, 236x174
Any ideas on how to make this wrap thing stick on a wig? Every idea I have I know will just slip off the wig.
>>
>>8953916
welovecolors.com has excellent bodysuits. well worth the price. durable and not see-through.

What design are you doing? How detailed is it? You can have a model wear it while you paint it (or vice versa), you can stuff each limb /torso seperately as you work on it with a flat board such as pink insulation foam.

If it's super detailed, I'd suggest seam ripping the body suit and pinning each piece taught on a piece of pink insulation foam, painting each piece, then resewing it together.
>>
>>8955650
Water activated cake make-up will be the easiest kind of paint to use. Snazaroo, Wolfe FX, Diamond FX, Global, TAG, Kryolan, Ben Nye, Graftobian, Kryvaline and others are all brands professionals use. Make sure like >>8955733 said you seal your paint so it won't come off throughout the day. Check out Homestuck arm sock tutorials for an easier way to do your arms.
>>
>>8954523
>>8954536
Are you a troll?

>>8956645
I've done similar things to wigs, but my solution is permanent, so you have to be prepared to keep the wig on a wig head when not in use to prevent tangles.

Tie off the hair with some string/fabric (not elastic because it will melt), then take a long rectangle of foam and hot glue/wrap it in the shape of the bead. Then, glue on the extra trim/paint/etc.
>>
File: color ref.png (2 MB, 2009x632) Image search: [Google]
color ref.png
2 MB, 2009x632
>>8956746

I'm the bloke that wanted to do this.

I've made a duct-tape mannequin already, but it didn't turn out too well, so I'm going to redo that step and begin painting once the suit arrives, while working on other parts in the meantime.
>>
>>8956765
I'm absolutely terrified but I'm going to try it on a destroyed wig and see how it goes. Thank you for the help.
>>
Can you use Meta's mini skirts or frill skirts for otome or are they strictly suited for casual lolita?
>>
i wanna get into classic/sweet lolita fashion, should my first dress be a jumperskirt or one-piece? Or does it depend on the brand?
>>
File: IMG_20151029_081839_edit.jpg (432 KB, 1090x2974) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151029_081839_edit.jpg
432 KB, 1090x2974
>>8956906
YES! Practice first! And to show you what I mean, here is a wig I did with the hot glue at the bottom.

The green band at top is just a metal hair clip with a green band over it - it stayed up. I can take it out and gently comb out the ponytail (up to the lower part) if needed. But the bottom is permanently glued.

I also sprayed it all down with a lot of cheap hairspray so it wouldn't tangle in the first place. If it works with a long ponytail, it should work for a tiny side piece like yours. :)
>>
>>8957070
Depends on what you prefer, really. JSKs are more versatile because they can be worn in different ways, while OPs are simpler to wear and usually require less effort when putting together coords.
>>
File: maid.jpg (91 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
maid.jpg
91 KB, 480x360
Any good maid outfit tutorials? Having a surprisingly hard time finding one.
>>
File: slime.jpg (101 KB, 640x854) Image search: [Google]
slime.jpg
101 KB, 640x854
I have always wanted to cosplay a slime girl
How would I go about making a partial slime outfit kind of like this? Opaque would be okay but I would love for the slime to be see through or mostly see through
Thanks for any help!
>>
>>8956770
Holy shit anon always love seeing DotA cosplay, can't believe your doing ww please post update pics !!
>>
>>8957176
Find someone to drip fast curing body-safe silicone rubber or a like product onto you.

Honestly, I would email a reputable site like smooth-on (check their website first, they are hollywood suppliers) and ask them for a transluscent product that you can tint and pour onto a live body. And send them your reference pic.

Also make sure to ask them about how to store it once you peel it off.

Seems like a fun project.
>>
>>8956770
I'm curious why you're asking how to paint a bodysuit when the bigger question is how are you going to apply prosthetics and reshape your body?
>>
>>8957218
I will definitely look into smooth-on and I have someone who can help me wit the outfit
Thank you so much!!
>>
File: chara_ocelot.jpg (278 KB, 565x816) Image search: [Google]
chara_ocelot.jpg
278 KB, 565x816
I'm finding it surprisingly hard to get my hands on a suitable jacket for MGS3 Ocelot, something I'm hoping to wear to a con in June. Anyone know where to buy one to modify?

also affordable SAA replicas, the only decent ones i've found are like $80 each jesus
>>
>>8957220

http://www.instructables.com/id/Dragon-Costume-1/?ALLSTEPS
I'm following this tutorial, but instead of the facial prosthetics, I'm making a fursuit head sort of thing.

>>8957179

I'm a complete beginner, so odds are this will probably not get finished, despite significant determination to do so.
>>
I'm cosplaying Kagami Taiga in early June, but the dilemma is I've got my high school (I'm 18) graduation going until about six that day and I'll need to get my eyebrows threaded pretty thin so I can draw the second on top and my hair cut pretty short since its really thick and gets in the way of wigs.

Anyone have any advice as to what to do? I don't want to do it after the graduation since I don't want to go straight from threading to the con, but am I just going to have to accept I may look like a weirdo at my graduation?

Also where am I gonna find shoes similar to his? Would any black and red basketball shoes be aesthetically acceptable? Thanks.
>>
>>8957329
I have a similar issue with my con starting the day of my graduation. If you care what a bunch if people youll never see again think, do it after. More than likely itll just be your family and close friends seeing you off, so I say before.
>>
>>8957329
Why don't you skip threading you eyebrows completely and just do this?

http://www.beautylish.com/a/vxrzy/how-to-cover-eyebrows

Basically take a glue stick and glue down your eyebrows and cover with concealer. It's not perfect, but it's better than actually removing your eyebrows if it's going to make you self conscious.
>>
>>8957167
>how to sew a dress
>how to sew an apron
>how to sew ruffles
Look for the smaller bits
>>
>>8957329
>and my hair cut pretty short since its really thick and gets in the way of wigs.

Unless each strand of your hair is half an inch thick, then it is not too thick for a wig. To help with fitting it though, try straightening it out, doing a lot of tiny braids, and then curl them up into loops over your head. Put on your wig cap and pin the braided loops to that, then put on your wig and pin that to the wig cap.
>>
File: 4164-0-1449083287.jpg (2 MB, 3416x2160) Image search: [Google]
4164-0-1449083287.jpg
2 MB, 3416x2160
I'm making a vault suit for a friend, and our group is using the "defined vault suit" mod as a reference (see pic related). My plan is to do a mockup in a cheap stretch fabric, draw on where I need all the extra panels to be, then cut it up and use those pieces as a pattern. I'm using a pre-pintucked fabric for the areas with really tiny pintucks (crotch and chest panels). There's a lot of weird detailing on this version, like the darker blue lines on the jumpsuit around the knees and such. My question is: is there a better way to imitate those lines without putting in piping fucking everywhere? I was wondering if I could do a tight zigzag stitch in a darker blue thread instead. Any advice would be appreciated!
>>
Thinking about getting this off of shapeways and putting in some sort of ecig in it so I can get the smoke effect and such but I am curious if I would be able to get it to light via my phone and play the sound clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuDAC5ohuY0
>>
>>8956770
Hey man, just wanted to let you know that I'm happy to still see you working on this. Hope it works out for ya.
>>
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 503x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 503x1500
Thinking about getting a pair of elf ears, but I'll need to match them to my skin color as I'm somewhere inbetween the lightest and darkest shade.

I had read somewhere that I could use my foundation to cover them but was curious about how specific the process should be, like how to seal it and keep it from running, etc. I've never worn elf ears before period so any key tips would be great!
>>
How much money should i bring for 2 days at animenext
>>
>>8957820
That all depends on if you are planning on buying anything in the dealers or artist rooms, and how if you plan on eating meals at the con, or if you are planning on bringing a cooler of premade food and snacks to the hotel. There is no real answer for this, though I personally don't like walking around a con with a lot of cash on hand. Most dealers can now take debit or credit cards, and if I need cash, there are usually ATMs around.
>>
>>8952903
Bumping this.

>>8957820
I've never been but my con budget is always between $300-$800. I keep my own food since my hotel has a refrigerator and the only time I pay for food is if I go to a restaurant with friends. So that's $60-$70 for the whole weekend. Everything I'm interested in fr the area can be walked to, but if need be I take a cab that's about $20. Always have emergency money in cake you need to gtfo or something. But I tend to buy prints, body pillows, and other junk so that's why it's between that much. If you plan on being a hermit or something then I'd say $150-$200. That should be food every day(not enough to stuff yourself just so you don't die), emergency, and only the smallest bit of merch if that since con stuff can get pricey. This isn't including hotel or if you're traveling from some place.
>>
Which style of dollywink lashes would suit most cosplays and not look over the top/fake while still giving the false lash look?
>>
>>8957916
I plan on cosplaying, Chiaki Nanami, Rei Ayanami and Flandre scarlet. So if anyone gulls have some recommendation for the false lashes for each character and a good wig for Chiaki/Flandre I would be ecstatic
>>
I'm going to make this costume, my question is, is it possible for me to gradient dye this first, and paint on the pattern with bleach afterwards? Any better suggestions? I've been considering plain white fabric paint as well, but I thought bleach would've been better.
>>
>>8957972
Nah bleach could come out uneven and yellowish or run in places. You for sure want to use fabric paint. CosplayhelpwithDecember on tumblr has a good fabric painting tutorial for that kind of thing, I'd link it but I'm on mobile and there's only like three tutorials on the page so you'll find it fast.
>>
>>8957972
what about blocking the patterned area off with wax and then gradient dyeing it? Paint would look p. shit, screenprinting even would be better.
>>
>>8957291
Honestly /k/ might be able to help you find something that is military surplus. Its worth an ask but being a /k/ommando myself they are probably going to tell you to git.
>>
>>8957972
Personally, I would design the entire pattern with gradients on your computer and then get it custom printed by Spoonflower or something.
>>
I need help sourcing parts for a Pengun Costume (Danny Devito) any help? I'm in the UK btw
>>
>>8958062
would help if you could spell penguin.
>>
>>8958074
Oops
>>
>>8957329
How long is your hair?
Is it waist length and super thick? Then you can still get inside a wig.

Where do you buy wigs? If you get chinese ones with 20" caps then no wonder you have a problem. Arda and Epic cosplay have way bigger caps, you will be able to fit your hair under there.

Source: has thick waist length hair, head measurement of 23.5" and I've never not been able to get my hair in a wig.
>>
>>8956645
Make it a solid bead with a pattern, make the hole inside no bigger than 8mm in diameter. Get the hair section, which looks like it'll be all the way back to the ear and thread it through.

Thread it through by getting some strong thread and putting a loop through the bead, then hair inside the loop and pull through.

Same method Chii cosplayers use on their hair beads, which ime don't move unless they're too big. The more hair in a small hole the less likely the thing is to move.
>>
>>8957990
Thanks for showing me this tutorial, I really appreciate it!
>>8957997
I've looked up a few articles about this and it's really helpful, I've never thought of this before. I might try this method on some test fabric first. Thank you!
>>8958024
I honestly would've done that if my designing skills were passable, but I'm absolutely shit at digital arts. But I'll keep it in mind though!
>>
>>8956066
I think doing it as dreads attached to the helmet could look cool.
>>
>>8958085
>>8957329
I second this. I used to have really long, thick hair (waist length before I cut it off into a bob) and Arda's bigger wig caps really help. In addition to that, you'll also want to look up ways on how to put your hair up underneath. Pin curls worked the best for me and for my friend (who has way thicker hair than I did), it evens out the hair across your head so you don't have some areas that are more bulky than others.
>>
>>8958094
you could commission someone to do the design for you.
>>
>>8957702
Best way I can think of is install and led light into the cig, a speaker somewhere on your person, hook it up to a switch and a sound board/arduino/raspberry pi/etc and have it light up and play the song whenever you flip the switch. Only downside to this is you gotta run a wire to the ecig to wherever everything else is. Basically you can't let go of the thing.

Best solution for that I can think of is put a piece of velcro or a mount on your wrist to hold it while you're not.
>>
>>8957291
look for military surplus stores around you. Might be able to find something good enough.

>>8958094
>>8957990
I agree with >>8957997 I think paint wouldn't be a great idea. The pattern is colored pretty lightly, you might not be able to achieve the right color if you paint after you dye. Either way, a stencil is going to save you a lot of frustration whether you wax block or paint.

>>8958024
>>8958103
Dude, you keep adding layer after layer of cost when you can do it just as well at home. Sure it'll take more time and it's more work, but it's going to cost a hell of a lot more to commission someone AND have it custom printed.
>>
>>8958130
Jesus sorry for wanting something to look decent.
You're talking about "mights" with the other methods. You come up with something solid and cheap then.

I bet you spend $20 dollars per costume then whine and moan when it looks shit.
>>
>>8958130
>Dude, you keep adding layer after layer of cost when you can do it just as well at home.

Just want to throw it out there that I am the one who suggested Spoonflower for printing, but I am not >>8958103
Two different people.
>>
>>8958136
I mean, if you have all this cash burning through your pocket saving on rent living in your parent's basement then do with it what you want.
You don't know that anon's skill level, and looking at that tutorial painting can be done.
And do you not know how to read you dense fuck? Two people already came up with viable methods. And what's the worst that happens, you spend $20 on paint or wax, dye, and fabric and if it turns to shit then you spend your hard earned gbp's on custom made fabric?

Unlike you, I know how to budget my money. It's a costume. I'll wear it once or twice. I don't need to spend a fortune to cry when the people I commission screw me over.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 96

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.