[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Larp thread, standard procedure previous thread in autosage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 82
File: SAM_2082.jpg (748 KB, 1667x2500) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2082.jpg
748 KB, 1667x2500
Larp thread, standard procedure

previous thread in autosage as usual
>>8914681
>>
Yeah i have shoulders and full arms now, hoping the gauntlets will arrive this week, then im starting with leg armour.
>>
>>8927837
I still think that leg armour is overhyped. Then again I use polearms, so there is that
>>
im also re-enacting so i need it, but ill use my re enactment armour in larp.
>>
>>8927857
>im also re-enacting
I hope you didn't bought that gauntlet for reenactment then.

Also I'm also in reenactment but that's one of the advantage of 16th century, you don't really need leg armour anymore
>>
>>8927868
well i did buy them for re-enactment.
A friend who has been re enacting for 7 years has them aswell and he said they were perfect.
>>
>>8927874
Oh boy here we go...

So as of start, the knuckle part is "scandalously-shit", finger scales are spares and very wide, and the whole stuff is just bended, the whole thing has a box like shape.
And the whole thing isn't autentic.

tl;dr it's okay for larping, or you do hema/HMB and this is the only thing that would protect your hands, but for reenactment it's shit
>>
>>8927917
rip
>>
>>8927963
what was the alleged time period for it?
>>
>>8927968
15th century
>>
>>8927971
that's a little vague for reenactment
>>
>>8927974
most of the re-enactmens here in the netherlands are 14-15th century, i try to look 15th century, but yeah since i dont have very much money i bought the cheapest one online.
>>
>>8927977
I mean, you can't reenact a whole century. that's vague as fuck. there are so many differences in clothing, armour, weapons, and eerything between one century that it makes you unauthentic if your stuff is ranges through one century. It's okay for one group to focuse on one century but the individuals should focuse on a shorter time frame like a 20-30 years period. (of course if you have stuff for several short periods you can make up one whole century through all of them but that's not the case here)
>>
>>8927988
yeah i know, but not everyone re enacts the same year... so it doesnt really matter, mostly around 1450
>>
>>8927994
I'm kind of alone with early 16th here too.

But I have bad news for you. That gauntlet is nowhere near 1450. If someone has to choose a period than it would be late 16 that it tries to copy very badly, maybe early 17th
>>
>>8928010
well, rip then.. still gonna use it haha
>>
File: gau1[1].jpg (58 KB, 576x339) Image search: [Google]
gau1[1].jpg
58 KB, 576x339
>>8928013
well, the good news is that probably anyone less informed won't notice it. we even managed to find the original of your gauntlet.
The original one is a victorian era bullshit "repro" (and I use the world very widely here) that tries to pretend to be a 1580-90 german gauntlet.

So you have a bullshit copy of a bullshit.
>>
File: A-213-a[1].jpg (2 MB, 2592x3888) Image search: [Google]
A-213-a[1].jpg
2 MB, 2592x3888
>>8928021
although I can see how it can be mistaken for a late 15th century german gauntlet, but still, it's not suitable for reenactment.

So don't be surprised when someone will shittalk you about it (this may or may not will be us)
>>
>>8927428
>>8927429
>>8927432
>>8927448
>>8927450
>>8927452
What the fuck kind of larp is this from?!
>>
>>8928037
it isn't from a larp, that's SCA
>>
>>8928032
well i will see.
>>
>>8928053
as I said, I don't expect that too much people will point it out, especially if someone with 7 years experience there didn't realized it.
But that tells more about the reenactment scene there than about the gauntlet
>>
So, a friend bought me a Gorget+Spaulders set that looks a little like those:

http://www.mytholon.com/ruestungen/plattenpanzer/plattenschultern/7208/gustav-schultern?c=50

http://www.mytholon.com/ruestungen/plattenpanzer/plattenkraegen/8909/elias-ringkragen-blank?c=52

What sort of armour would they go with? Would a chainmail do, or should I get a plate? Also, what helmet should I go for?
>>
So, a friend bought me a Gorget+Spaulders set that looks a little like those:

http://www.mytholon.com/ruestungen/plattenpanzer/plattenschultern/7208/gustav-schultern?c=50

http://www.mytholon.com/ruestungen/plattenpanzer/plattenkraegen/8909/elias-ringkragen-blank?c=52

What sort of armour would they go with? Would a chainmail do, or should I get a plate? Also, what helmet should I go for?
>>
>>8928117
that gorget only looks good on the garbage pile. That's my honest opinion.
But the spaulders could look good with chainmail, some plate or even with brigandine, or coat of plates
>>
>>8928117
i bought spaulders + gorget on mytholon aswell!! sold it second hand after 2 weeks!
its shit.. but yeah thats my opinion.. just buy re enactment armour, join facebook groups who sell medieval stuff, but never buy epic armoury or mytholon. thats my advice, i recommend www.celticwebmerchant.com
>>
>>8928037
Holy shit thats awesome
>>
repostan for help

I have to take a train ride from where i live to where a LARP is being held Not wanting to sit in a train for 2+ hours wearing all of my shit there. Using a luggage bag isn't going to do me any good, it's in a wooded area and they're far too unwieldy for their size.

The largest things I'll need to back is a chestplate/helmet, followed by two weapons. everything else is just clothes, socks and other essentials.

any ideas?
>>
>>8928237
i guess the best way buying a big sport/travel bag, it will fit.. i always do that
>>
File: DSC03309.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSC03309.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>8928237
I use a large ALICE pack, all my shit can fit there which means a half plate, costume, some food, other accesories, two wool blankets, hammock, tarp, etc
it's the one on the left
>>
>>8928164
Oh, wow. Why do you find them so bad? Like, what's wrong with Mytholon? (Mine aren't from Mytholon AFAIK, I just don't have a picture of them and I looked up something similar)
>>
>>8928594
cheap material easily bend, size is a total fuckup, they put rivets on fucking everything, looks shit, isn't even close to look like authentic armor, shapes all fucked up in the favor of producing it in the factory easier, shit color, overpriced as fuck...
I could go on
>>
>>8928043
How do I join that?
>>
>>8928601
show up at one of their events, fill out a form, sing it with blood, sell your soul, start butchering children, burn down a village and then hail Satan.

But I heard the village burning thing is optional because of the lack of suitable villages
>>
>>8928594
Mytholon is armour-like crap made of tinfoil, that isn't designed to fit the human body.

Buy reenactment armour. Its cheaper, more durable, fits better and looks better.

>>8928601
Tell me where you live near, or type in your zipcode and "SCA" to find your local barony. Remember, we're a historic recreation social club, so no fairys and elves, but we're actually quite laid back, and you can do pretty much any culture and time before 1650.
>>
>>8928642
Where do I find re-enactor armour then? Where can I see what does it look like? Also, do you have any idea if they sell that kind of armours in Drachenfest?
>>
>>8928672
As we have posted time uncounted, there are many places and company. Are you Euro or North American?

>do you have any idea if they sell that kind of armours in Drachenfest?

Yes
>>
>>8928672
>Also, do you have any idea if they sell that kind of armours in Drachenfest?
yes and no.
They do sell some better armour but I wouldn't necessary call it reenactor armour. Then again our friend here has a totally different opinion in this matter >>8928013

But even those are overpriced as fuck because Drachenfest. What you can find there is connections and maybe a blacksmith who will make you some day an armour for a reasonable price
>>
>>8928678
Who is that new guy, and why would anyone have spent money on those gaunts?
>>
>>8928683
how the fuck should I know?
>>
>>8928674
You could say I'm a Euro. Any suggested ones from there? Also what do you think of Indian blacksmiths?

>>8928678
'Better armour' sounds good enough DESU. I mean, I like history, but I don't really have to have everything full-on period accurate and such.
>>
>>8928686
You're the Larpthread leader, o'slavic one.
>>
File: DSC02138.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
DSC02138.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>8928693
yes but you also seen the posts, it's not like he dropped a message on my through the 4chan in-built message board.

>>8928692
the main problem is that as I said they are overpriced. Which is understandable because it is a festival so it has festival prices. I mean look at this armour. It looks alright but I'm sure as fuck that it doesn't worth 2000 euro
>>
File: masterwork plate of India.jpg (388 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
masterwork plate of India.jpg
388 KB, 1200x1600
>>8928692
>You could say I'm a Euro
Does not help.

>what do you think of Indian blacksmiths
If you buy from a America/Euro company who produces in india, and makes sure they make what they are being paid for, then its actually pretty decent.

If you buy from the Indians directly, they WILL rip you off. Pic related.

>>8928705
>2000 euro
Nope.
>>
>>8928735
How do I check wether it's a good product/blacksmith or a bad one, then? Is there a suggested mm thickness, material, etc?
>>
>>8928749
Unless you're buying from an established company that does their own QC, it sucks but you'd have to check in person, in India.

Deepeeka, Cas/Hanwei's Get Dressed for Battle.

Where are you? Its easier to link you to a merchant like Kult of Athena.
>>
You know your LARP sucks when a parody video has better costuming than anybody in the local group.
>>
>>8929063
Would you fucking get a life already? You're pissing off everyone except Gropey!
>>
>>8929063
I despise gropey too, but jesus christ what the fuck man
>>
>>8929118
Its a classic case of "notice me senpai!".

And Gropes is Bro-tier
>>
>>8929063
If you're talking full battle dress, then none of us should be here.
Gropey is the only reason I visit these threads.
>>
Well I just posted my question in the other dying thread like a retard so I'm reposting it here.

I want to include vehicles, drones and robots in my sci-fi military cosplay airsoft group, does anybody know what kind of Health and Safety rules I would be looking at to use them?
>>
>>8929237

Also with regards to those fantasy LARPs that use magic, do many of them use special effects to represent magical spells? For instance using small fireworks to simulate combat spells?
>>
>>8929243
>do many of them use special effects to represent magical spells? For instance using small fireworks to simulate combat spells?
No because that might make magic actually look good. Most murrilarps have mages throw beanbags at people while shouting.
>>
File: DSC_0087(3).jpg (4 MB, 4864x2736) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0087(3).jpg
4 MB, 4864x2736
>>8929063
this shit again...
>>
>>8929143
I would be here, I doesn't weight 200 kg even in full battle dress.
Glorious metric master race.

>>8929237
the problem with drones on airsoft game: are you prepared for the shitstorm when someone shoots down an expensive drone with an airsoft weapon? because if drones have HP this will happen.
on random vehicles like cars it also can damage stuff like lamps and whatnot.
It's a pretty complex problem and I never seen a good solution for it. Especially when you consider that every car must drive slowly to not hit accidentally someone.

>>8929243
some of them uses special effekts but fireworks are rarely among them because of the firehazard. Then again some countries like sweden give less fuck about these things and they even use black powder blanks for a fuckton of things.
Or there is the Witcher school larp in poland they do use fireworks and honest to god pyrotechnics but those are more of a pre planned things
>>
>>8929271

Ok well that is all kinds of suck. I wonder if anybody has used actual stage magic to create magical special effects for LARP games, I would figure that would be a good fit.

>>8929281

Yeah I was thinking about that. My current solution is use cheap drone kits and hand build them. I'm thinking about creating some kind of non-profit armory/uniform/vehicle building group which can help me build this stuff cheaply. That's a long term goal and might not work out if I can't get enough people interested in it.

As for vehicles I think the easiest and cheapest thing is to use some kind of electric cart base and then build a mock up of the vehicle on top of that. Found some cool tank builds that people have made using small engines.
>>
File: Elysiantroopers pic.jpg (98 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
Elysiantroopers pic.jpg
98 KB, 700x466
This guy right here is why I want to get into military cosplay. From what I can figure he's a german dude who makes awesome Warhammer 40k stuff. Mainly does Imperial guard stuff from what I can figure. I want my stuff to be as good as his stuff.
>>
File: Razors_Edge_Pe_086.jpg (1 MB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
Razors_Edge_Pe_086.jpg
1 MB, 1067x1600
>>8929291
yep they are german, and sometimes running warhammer 40k larps there

>>8929285
that, or get good vehicles
>>
>>8929237
You're looking at a rules and safety nightmare to use them, but the primary issue I see is cost. Since you're saying it's...cosplay? Then it shouldn't be an issue. If you're actually shooting stuff, you're going to have a huge overhead.

>>8929243
The issue with using small fireworks is that you can't tell if you've hit someone (and even more importantly, the person you've hit can't tell- which is important in big battles).

Also when someone inevitably blows off a finger.

I've seen games use thrown glow bracelets, and you can avoid the issue entirely by not having combat magic.

For our game, we use beanbags/packets for combat spells, but then pull our weird shit out for ritual casting. Imo, the time for special effects is *outside* of active combat.
>>
>>8928770
Looked up Kult of Athena and I found the helmet I want:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNH2236&name=Visored+Bascinet+

Is it good enough? As in, durabilty and quality for this price?
>>
>>8929649
looks alright, it's not the cheapest stuff but for a helmet it's within the treshold
>>
>>8929528

It'll be shooting stuff, but you're right I'm going to have to look very carefully at the rules around the health and safety stuff when integrating vehicles and drones. I'm in NZ and there are new rules coming into force in regards to H & S stuff.

As for the fireworks what about switching them out for some kind of air compressed delivery system and maybe a non-toxic chalk powder puff?

I found these guys yesterday while looking for LARP special effects http://larptronics.com/ seems like they are producing gear that have have some kind of effect happening.
>>
File: harm.jpg (446 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
harm.jpg
446 KB, 2560x1920
>>8929067
>>8929118
>>8929140
>>8929140
>>8929143
>>8929280
I don't even have to look in the archives to guess. Im fat and a faggot, right?

>>8929243
>>8929271
>>8929281
>>8929285
>>8929528
LS&DT (Still on hiatus sadly, though we might try for a summer game), used practical effects within reason, mostly pullstring flash snaps, FX smoke cannisters, and variations of an Italian carnival tradition known as Cascaron.

Traditionally, cascaron are hollowed out eggshells filled with confetti and thrown at each other like snowballs. I filled them up with snappers for a wounding spell, and rubber bugs/slime for the goblin's sickening hex. Pic related

>>8929660
For north America, the cost to quality ratio makes that really good. We just don't have the market like in europe.
>>
>>8930375
>hollowed out eggshells filled with poppers

That sounds incredibly cool and incredibly laborious at the same time.
>>
>>8930356
>non-toxic chalk powder puff
At that point why not use bean bags? The puffs still can't/won't be felt by the target, and have the downside of being fucking messy.

Cascarons, like what Gropey is talking about >>8930375, are a nifty idea. I've also seen felted lightup 'fire balls' that look pretty nice. I've also heard of games trying to do a laser tag style setup with shoulder sensors (so expensive, so clunky).

However, I feel that no matter what combat magic will *always* look dorky. It's a matter of either sucking it up and dealing with how funky it looks, or not including it in your system at all and only having healing/ritual magics.
>>
File: 20160325_220213.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160325_220213.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>8930430
You get real good at it after a while. Here is the start of a traditional Italian Easter dinner party.
>>
>>8930442

I disagree with magic looking dorky. It only looks dorky if done badly, I think that if it was done well it would enhance the game immensely. Honestly I'm surprised that more LARP games don't use this stuff. Is it because of cost or lack of experience or something else?
>>
>going to first larp soon
>have to design character background
>told working in talents/abilities I can do in real life are great motivations/basis for garb design
>only real talent is being good at billiards/pool

Any tips for working that into a generic fantasy character? I might be able to wear an anachronistic version of a billiards glove, and maybe use a one handed spear, but I'm not sure how to make it part of my backstory or work it even more into my character outfit.
>>
>>8930459
Fireworks are actually dangerous. Chalk puffs are fine, but messy and can't be felt. Cascarons are nifty and offer plenty of customization options. Felted fire balls look really nice but are expensive and hard to clean.

There are plenty of options out there, and those options are *used* and used often, but until someone builds me a flamethrower that shoots cold flames, I will remain of the opinion that combat magic systems are clunky and dorky looking.

I say that as someone who plays a combat caster- I throw beanbags. It looks really, really dorky but I can look past that for the concept of the game. I have no trouble suspending my disbelief for it, the difference is that I would have to suspend my disbelief for *every* option suggested so far- it doesn't matter to me if I'm throwing a beanbag or an egg I've filled with confetti and worms, I still have to stop and imagine that I'm casting magic.

The smoothest/most immersive magic system I've seen was the laser tag system, but that requires that every player wear their own sensors which is ridiculous, expensive, and prone to technical malfunction.

If I ever write another LARP system I know I will not include combat magic and stick to a ritual/healing system.

>>8930518
>told working in talents/abilities I can do in real life are great motivations/basis for garb design
...That's... odd. I mean, I can see adding it into your background/backstory, but garb inspiration?

Your character could be a professional billiards/pool player, on the run due to gambling debts. Using the one handed spear ("I have practice with something kinda like this!") kinda works.

I would suggest not making it a literal inspiration for garb though.
>>
>>8930518
I imagine what they mean is that real-life talents of yours can inform the way your character dresses and acts in that somebody who's thin and nimble would be unlikely to wear heavy armor, while somebody built large is not going to get much benefit out of dressing for stealth and subtlety.

So, if we look at how to incorporate billiards into that, I think your idea of using a spear is a good starting point. Beyond that, go for clothing that allows you to naturally move in ways you normally would while playing pool. Stuff that keeps your torso clear so you can lean forward easily, that sort of thing.

Just my two cents on that philosophy.
>>
>>8930453
Thats just wild, Gropes.
>>
>that guy who rolls his sleeve back up his swordarm before fighting

Jesus christ how retarded can you get
>>
>>8930459
>Honestly I'm surprised that more LARP games don't use this stuff.
I already told you they use a fuckton of special effects in larps.
Just not in the US, because US larps are shit. There is your answer
>>
>>8930375
So is there a chance for me to find the same helmet (at least design-wise) at a cheaper price from europe vendors? Where should I check?
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Alpaca-Hooded-Cloak-Forest-Green/dp/B00H5DNQTW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ASCO319K7TONQ

Do you think that this is a good cloak in general?
>>
>>8930747
More like a poncho rather than a cloak. I prefer open fronted cloaks, gives easier access things on my belt.
>>
>>8930718
Do you live in Europe?

If you don't, the shipping kill any discount.
>>
>>8931125
actually I know several people who got stuff from europe to the us cheaper even with the shipping than buying in the US.

Than again, you have to actually pay for the stuff...

Also first day of local con is done, we went there again so random people can play with larp swords
>>
Can anyone explain the Gropey hate troll? Is it one of his exes or something?
>>
>>8931335
dude, you are on 4chan. what part of that don't you understand?
>>
>>8931335
Just my tsundere admirer.
>>
>>8931378
Thats my job.
>>
>>8931476
D'awwww <3
>>
>>8931378
I'd give less than a fuck if 90% of the human population were to just disappear. I'm the tsundreest of the tsundree, but you gropey, you would get to live if I were in charge, because your a genuine somewhat likeable person.
>>
>>8931335
Gropey can be kind of an asshole sometimes. It's okay, we all get that way now and then. Somebody has just decided to give him shit for it constantly.
>>
File: Ice Brawl II.jpg (140 KB, 960x767) Image search: [Google]
Ice Brawl II.jpg
140 KB, 960x767
>>8931523
>>8931525
I got a theory: I actually met a handful of larpthread folks at the Amtgard/Dagohir/ORCS event I went to a month back. I brought a little dayshade, some home made meatpies to share, and one of my hookahs, we generally had a chill time and a lot of "You're pretty nice offline" laughs.

I did have one guy who was super butthurt about me "having to show off", but scampered off before we could talk.

To be very frank about it, I am a big guy, and not just chub wise. I was also whacking people pretty good. This is probably his attempt at "vengeance".

Again, just a theory though. I feel bad for poor anon.
>>
>>8931523
>>8931525
>>8931539
>Gropey is shitting up my larp
>Go to call him a faggot and see what a noob he is
>Oh shit- he brought home cooked snacks and a tent to share
>turns out to be a bro
>"Hey anon, having fun? Want to hit the hookah?"
>"Y-y-you too"
>Furiously shit posts about Gropey being fat because he can't bitch about anything else

I can believe it.
>>
>be on committee of university role playing club
>full of neckbeard LARPers
>have to spend half the year dealing with their shit
>have to specifically tell them how to behave around women
>have to specifically warn them not to walk around the bad area of the city in robes
>have to deal with the 30 year old LARPers bullying the new ones

All LARPers must die desu senpai.
>>
File: 1458676299575.jpg (94 KB, 500x602) Image search: [Google]
1458676299575.jpg
94 KB, 500x602
>>8931546
I just wanna be friends ;_;

>>8931595
You'll have to do better than that here, anon.
>>
>>8931668
Painted helmets are seeeeex. More?
>>
File: AH3998W.jpg (73 KB, 599x450) Image search: [Google]
AH3998W.jpg
73 KB, 599x450
So on center grip shields do you use horizontal or vertical grips? On historical shields I see horizontal but on lots of larp shields I see vertical. What are the pros and cons of each?
>>
File: IMG_20160326_232852865_HDR.jpg (4 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160326_232852865_HDR.jpg
4 MB, 2432x4320
Check out these goofy-ass alladin pants I found, luckily they match the cholor scheme for my new character's costume
>>
File: 1429128481803.jpg (751 KB, 1814x2526) Image search: [Google]
1429128481803.jpg
751 KB, 1814x2526
>>8931856
>but on lots of larp shields I see vertical
That's because the people making them are shit at research and wouldn't know a good idea if it bit them.

Horizontal grip is easier to walk around with and if your shield is sized like the Roman auxiliary shield you posted is much easier to defend yourself with in a more comfortable position.
>>
>>8931949
Are those supposed to be poofy or did you just buy pants for a really fat person?
>>
>>8931963
They're harem pants, so they're meant to be poofy
>>
posted to wrong thread fuck me

heres a shield im working on.
>>
File: 1342071069047.jpg (65 KB, 448x604) Image search: [Google]
1342071069047.jpg
65 KB, 448x604
>>8931850
Can do

>>8931856
Vertical, as it is proper for the style and period I fight in, but also does not table on the handle axis in a way that could manipulate an opening in the shield. As >>8931961 mentions, depending on the size of your shield, it can make it easier to carry, but the weight also plays into the amount of control you have on it when struck.

>>8931963
Like >>8931973 said, those are harem pants.
Big poofy pants are less likely to chafe in the heat.

>>8931973
Are those from harempants.com?
>>
>>8931668
>tfw want to paint my helmet

Are there any particular types of paint I should avoid? Any that are notably good for this sort of thing?
>>
File: 1376349298808.jpg (80 KB, 350x525) Image search: [Google]
1376349298808.jpg
80 KB, 350x525
>>8932062
If you're going with modern paints, not really, though the use of paints formulated to bond to metal is always better.

Best way to paint a helm, for durability and cost if you're not going full medieval and using egg pigments or some shit

*Lightly sand with fine sandpaper, or better yet a foam sanding block. get all the nooks and crannies
*Clean the helm thoroughly with acetone (nailpolish remover), and dry.
*spray a layer of rustolium outdoor metal primer
*Paint as desired with non gloss acrylic OR enamel. Again, I like rustolium, and you can get the little cans at walmart
*Seal with multiple layers of non gloss outdoor sealant.
*buff with a soft cloth.

This works wonders for a fairly durable finish on helms being hit with batons and metal. It should last for years in a larp.
>>
>>8932074
It should also go without saying..... Automotive body paint will last freaking forever if you can get it.
>>
File: 1376349333214.jpg (97 KB, 350x525) Image search: [Google]
1376349333214.jpg
97 KB, 350x525
>>8932076
>>
File: 1390519157971.jpg (69 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1390519157971.jpg
69 KB, 900x675
>>8932077
>>
File: 1390239004048.jpg (147 KB, 737x488) Image search: [Google]
1390239004048.jpg
147 KB, 737x488
>>8932079
>>
>>8931476
you are a fun guy but if you would check the time zones you could be an effective one too next time
>>
>>8932142
Says the false hungarian.
>>
>>8932142
Not you?
>>
>>8932150
take a guess, but I give him the fact that it looks like he is presistent, the previous ones so far did only one post, now he is at two posts, so that means he is at least twice as determined
>>
File: 1234965501240.jpg (140 KB, 899x681) Image search: [Google]
1234965501240.jpg
140 KB, 899x681
>>8932155
He has to find something to stick to you, like he tried the "Gropey's fat" approach with me.

I await to see how this develops.
>>
and nearly done this cunt
>>
>>8928037
Oh my dear anon.

Larp can look great too.
>>
>>8928601
Gain 60 pound and get a fat people scooter.
also it help if you are in 'Murika
>>
>>8929291
>>8929315
>That feel when post apo games in Canada have almost no millitary equipement in it because i cant even remember the last time i saw millitary equipement here (boots excluded of course)

You dont know how much i'd like to ride an armored vehicle.
(not enough to go and serve that bitch queen in the Canadian millitary)

>>8930375
>Im fat and a faggot, right?
Yes

He probably wrote something else but arent you a little bit fat and a faggot too gropeylicious?
>>
>>8930694
To be the Devil's advocate i'd say that the dry climate of some part of north america at certain time of the year would not permit pyrotechnics.

But other than that, there was some fireworks at bico 2015.

T'was supposed to mean that the ''comet'' of magic or whatever the fuck they told us it was for the game reset was falling o n earth and bla bla bla...OH! FIREWORKS! aaaaah!
>>
>>8932142
>>8932148
Holy shit have we sunken this low?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
I'm going to my first LARP, and I don't want to look like a retard like pic related when I fight. Any tips? Reading through the previous threads, it seems copying video game movesets isn't a bad idea as long as they're semi-realistic.
>>
>>8932847

Where are the pictures from?
>>
>>8933004
>video game movesets
Just don't
Turn up, and get some instruction on the field. If you can, try and organise a weapons practice with other players before the event.
>>
>>8933013
Bicolline.
a big larp event in the continent of North america
>In the country of Canada
>In the province of Quebec
>In the administrative région of La Mauricie
>Near the city of Shawinigan.
>Really close to the village of Saint-mathieu-du-parc.
>46° 34′ 30.53″ N, 72° 54′ 19.45″ W
>The adress is...OH LOOK NIGGAZ! STRAP ON YOUR HELMETS AND READY YOUR COCKS! WERE AT BICO !
(even after all these years i Never knew and never will i just go like...it's after the bridge you wont miss it.)

Also the weather is so magnificient today i have the urge to go back to the battlefield soon.

Larp season is back!
>>
>>8933042
Here you go.
Some more larp porn for you.
>>
>>8933045
>>
>>8933053
>>
>>8933055
#Larporn
>>
>>8933062
>>
>>8933065
>>
>>8933068
Okay okay i promise... 2 more after this one and i'll stop.
>>
>>8933073
>>
File: 1379456838756.jpg (120 KB, 960x643) Image search: [Google]
1379456838756.jpg
120 KB, 960x643
>>8933081
>>
File: I-33.jpg (32 KB, 397x240) Image search: [Google]
I-33.jpg
32 KB, 397x240
>>8932816
Fuck you too, Frog

>>8932833
> arent you a little bit fat and a faggot too gropeylicious?

I prefer "fluffy and equal opportunity"

>>8932847
Apparently

>>8933004
Try to dress well, and look up I-33 sword and buckler on youtube. Its basic plays are perfect for self defense or combat, and translates well into most larps (barring head shots for lots of games) Pic related. What game?

>>8933042
I fucking love his axe. Know the maker?
>>
>>8932074
>>8932076
Thanks brah. I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>8933182
Alliance LARP.
>>
File: fb6.png (505 KB, 608x632) Image search: [Google]
fb6.png
505 KB, 608x632
>>8933004
>>8933016
Depends on the video game. A lot of video games have really shitty movesets that look ridiculous. If you do go for "video game" esque stuff, stick to the more down-to-earth ones, stuff like Witcher or Dark Souls (giant fuck-off weapons excluded).

In general, don't do jumpy, twirly shit. Keep in mind economy of motion--every movement you make with your weapon needs to serve a purpose, be it to guard from an attack, strike, or feint. And when you do feint, be deliberate about it, don't just flail about in an effort to confuse your opponent, because any experienced fighter won't buy it. A feint has to look like a real attack.

But yeah, like Scot there said, best way to go about it is to get instruction from the more experienced fighters. They'll know what does and doesn't work for a particular larp.
>>
>>8933201
Oh, its a numbers game. You just got to touch them and say how many points of damage. Don't worry about "fighting skills"
>>
>>8933218
I know, I just wanted to know a good way to swing my weapon without looking like a retard.

Speaking of, I recalled when I was using a dussack at a local renfair game, and I rather liked it. Seeing as it's similar to the whole number system with "Anywhere counts for a hit, first to five wins" set up, would it be something decent to base my moves off of? Thanks to the point system, I only have one weapon to wield, with the other hand for throwing packets.
>>
>>8933201
Alliance player here. Gropey >>8933218
is correct that it is a numbers game, but having actual fighting skill does actually make a significant difference.

Do not copy video games. Everyone will be able to tell, and you will be judged for it. It's way better to flail around like a newb for a little while than it is to show up with already learned bad habits.

I would follow Gropey's advice here >>8933182 and I would also say don't stress about it too much- you're not expected to know what you're doing, and nobody will care. People WILL care if you show up trying to do video game moves or things you've seen in anime. The most important part of fighting imo is footwork, and it's impossible to learn that from video games.

Alliance chapters are super hit and miss. Which chapter are you going to? I may be able to direct you to some good people if it's any of the chapters I know people in (or warn you away if it's a shitty one).
>>
>>8933279
Denver chapter. Though, I'm asking a bit preemptively, since thanks to long-term work schedules and certain events, I won't be attending until late June or so.
>>
>>8933277
Whats kind of weapon? For one handed, look up Meyer's Dussack basics on youtube, specifically hanging guards and close body guards, as your head is not a target.
>>
File: NobleLatexSword.jpg (84 KB, 526x790) Image search: [Google]
NobleLatexSword.jpg
84 KB, 526x790
>>8933290
A longsword. I got a little trigger-happy with purchases, but at the very least the chapter's vids feature a guy using this exact weapon, so it'll more than likely be accepted into the game.
>>
>>8933284
Oh hooray! I know a ton of people out there. I'm actually going to try to visit out there this year.

The Denver chapter has the most (publicly posted) rigorous costuming and garb requirements of the Alliance chapters (imo). They also have a level cap (I don't know the original reason behind it) which forces people to get better at the game instead of relying on their stats.

I hear people complaining about it for being 'elitist' all the time, which is a good sign. The people who come visit out here from there have always been some of the better American LARPers I've played with.

Don't worry about learning to fight before attending, they will help you learn. If you try to teach yourself now, you'll probably just get yourself into a pile of bad habits that they will have to beat out of you.

Apparently, the June/July events are their alternate (significantly less popular and much less good) campaign so I suggest you wait until August.
>>
File: 1369809608609.gif (29 KB, 678x738) Image search: [Google]
1369809608609.gif
29 KB, 678x738
>>8933305
Are you allowed two hands?

Look up Meyer and Capo Fero longsword. Work from a middle guard and stay behind your quillions
>>
>>8933325
I believe I am, it's just doesn't do anything(still counts as a one-handed sword for damage according to rulebook.) But still, that would be a good thing to do, considering that the build I have set up gives me one measly packet to throw per day.
>>
>>8933332
Stay behind your weapon. Keep your weapon pointed at the the enemy. Keep moving and approach at angles.
>>
Dumb question. I'm trying to assemble my costume, and I have the following gloves.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01589Z93U?psc=1

Would it be too much of a stretch to have them in a fantasy larp outfit? The metal ELMA bit is probably the worst bit, so maybe I could cover it up with something.
>>
>>8933734
I wouldn't judge you for it, especially with the ELMA covered up. If you already have them, go for it.
>>
>>8933734
better than like 75% of the shit i see on a weekly basis, go for it.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>8933182
Luka, a pretty chill dude we hangout a lot with at Bico.

So no piece is the same and each new one is better than the last.
>>
>>8930535

I need to look into this a bit more seeing as I've never been to a LARP but I would assume there is some kind of LARP magic system archive on the internet that has a list of how to pull this stuff off and what works and what doesn't because playing in a fantasy LARP without magic sounds pretty dull. Do you know what laser tag system they used?

>>8930694

That is a cool explosion, but how is that simulated in game? And would you say every Euro fantasy LARP is using special effects of that caliber?
>>
If you could only pick one, would it be better to put armor on your shield arm, or your weapon arm?
>>
>>8934984
Weapon arm, 100%. The shield should already be covering most of your shield arm, making armor redundant.
>>
What are the notable differences between 1.2mm, 1.6mm and 2mm for a helmet? (Steel.)
Is one considered better than the others? If so, why?
>>
File: secutor.jpg (36 KB, 350x490) Image search: [Google]
secutor.jpg
36 KB, 350x490
>>8934984
Arm all the way, its the most exposed when you attack everything else you can cover with a shield.
>>
>>8934984
As others have said, your weapon arm. Your shield is protecting the other

>>8935274
HUGE differences if you need armour that actually is made to keep you alive rather than just look good.

1.2mm is roughly 18 gauge and is useless for anything but costume armour. A latex weapon or boffer can possible put shallow dents in this.

1.6mm is roughly 16 gauge, and is the minimum i'd use for non helmet armour in martial arts, but is perfect for larping.

2mm is roughly 14 gauge, and is the average sheet thickness for combat armour and minimum for helmets being hit with blunt swords and batons. Its a little thick for larp body armour, but would be great for a larp helmet to protect you in case of an accident.

For reference, my SCA/ACL combat helmet is 12 gauge (2.8mm) and my larp/costume helmet is 16 (1.6mm)
>>
>>8933004
>Any tips? Reading through the previous threads, it seems copying video game movesets isn't a bad idea as long as they're semi-realistic.
as long as you don't act like a retard it doesn't really matter. If you don't know what would count as retarded then you might have a problem.

But anyway I presonally don't like to give advice on "how to fight" for two reasons:
First, it's always heavily depends on the situation
Secondly, if you don't train for it you won't be a better fighter just by reading a few stuff on the interwebz

>>8933042
>Larp season is back!
since a few months
>>
>>8933290
I would generally advice against one handed hanging guards in light tap systems, especially if there are shields.
But that's mainly because I have this preconception if you have to tell someone how to fight he probably doesn't have too much experience in it, so trying a totally new stuff won't help him too much.

Also let's not forget that the shorter the weapon the less the technique is important and more the reflexes. Especially on larps.
At shortsword and dagger length the huge majority of the techniques will only work if you practiced it a lot, and even then if someone is faster he can beat you.

On longer reaches there is more time to react and correct your mistakes, and techniques are way more important because even if the other guy is fast you have usually enough time to put your sword between you and him.

>>8933734
totally acceptable, noone would care

>>8934180
> but I would assume there is some kind of LARP magic system archive on the internet that has a list of how to pull this stuff off and what works and what doesn't because playing in a fantasy LARP without magic sounds pretty dull.
You are... very optimistic. Or naive. Maybe both
>>
>>8936089
>especially if there are shields.
He is not using a shield, and I do not think is allowed to.

>Also let's not forget that the shorter the weapon the less the technique is important and more the reflexes. Especially on larps

He's using a longsword. See>>8933305 and >>8933325
>>
>>8936091
I mean when the other guy uses a shield, then a one handed hanging won't really help you if you are inexperienced.
And I told that for the dussack thing.

For a longsword it's still true that nobody will learn it by simply looking at pictures and reading stuff on a Thailand Cartoon Bulletin Board
>>
>>8935559
Is 18g/1.2mm really that vulnerable? I mean, didn't expect it to be amazingly strong, but being dented by boffer/latex won't fit my needs.
Do you have any suggestions regarding where should I buy a decent armour, then?
I know the tier list is like:
-Europe
-USA
-India

But I don't know any specific recommended vendors.
Also, big thanks for clarifying it.
>>
Anyone have any experience in putting together their own LARP? I sort of started making a costume, with nowhere to wear it, and I'd love to put something together so I can run around the woods and roleplay with some buddies.
>>
>>8936264
>Is 18g/1.2mm really that vulnerable? I mean, didn't expect it to be amazingly strong, but being dented by boffer/latex won't fit my needs
nah, not really.
Well depends, if they fucked up the heat treating or it wasn't heat treated at all then it can be that soft, but usually only just a the very strong hits would make a light dent.
I would be more worried about the dents during transportation.

>>8936270
That question is way more far fetching than something that is possible to answer in just a few posts.
That is, if you want to make something decent, not just another shit game.
So, do you have the determination to spend a few years on it?
>>
>>8936307
Depends on how much interest it drums up and how much help I have. I'm more than willing to do the bare bones without help or interest, but to flesh it out, I'd need people.
>>
>>8936307
I kind of like the idea of being able to distress a helmet just by throwing it in the trunk and driving like I'm doing the Akina downhill.
>>
>>8936314
Then the first two fundamental question for making a larp:
What is your target audience?
What kind of larp you want to make?

There are other important ones, like in which country are you, what kind of options do you have for logistics, etc
>>
>>8936327
Target audience is adults, preferably 21+ so booze can flow freely, who can meet up a few times a month and do occasional campouts. It wouldn't be super frequent, since I know how busy people are.

The LARP would be post-apocalyptic.
>>
>>8936345
>Target audience is adults, preferably 21+
that's a wide as fuck target audience, you will fail if you won't narrow it down, because everyone will have different expectations

> so booze can flow freely
are you sure you want to organize a larp, not just a campout in funny cloths?

target audience would preferably be one or two type of players who's expectations you can meet. Other kind of players obviously can come to the game too but you will primarly will work to meet the expectation of your target audience, otherwsie you will try to force so many different stuff in your game that everyone will be dissapointed

>The LARP would be post-apocalyptic.
First of all that's the setting of the larp, secondly, also wide as fuck.
Narrow it down a little a little. Do you want lots of fight, few fight, no fight, lots of roleplay, moderate amount of roleplay, what kind of roleplay, lots of numbers, no numbers, hieroglyphs, etc
>>
>>8936373
>are you sure you want to organize a larp, not just a campout in funny cloths?

I want there to be a good deal of roleplay. Fighting between camps would exist, but wouldn't be the main focus. Ideally, I'd want more casual players who enjoy roleplaying and costuming best of all, with whom combat would be a secondary concern. I want it to be simple and sweet, with straightforward combat rules.

I should probably mention I've never LARPed before, I've wanted to for years, but the only LARPs I know of near me are Darkon and Vampire: The Masquerade, and neither particularly appeal to me.

My idea of a good time is something like Wasteland Weekend, which seems to be essentially a long in-character party. I'd just wear my costume there, but I'm on the other side of the US.
>>
>>8936395
I'm not sure if darkon qualifies as a larp, but I've only seen a shit tier documentary about it.
Vampire isn't a good example for larps either, way too specialized.

Wasteland Weekend is basically a campout in funny cloths.

Anyway, with that little experience are you sure you want to do a larp? Because if you really want one it will be a wild ride. I don't want to discourage you, I just want to know if you are up to it.
>>
>>8936395
>never LARPed
>wants to make a LARP

Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds? Its like a guy who never even took a woodshop class in high school saying he wants to make a 16-foot yacht. All the guidance and infographics in the world aren't going to help you. You need experience.
>>
>>8936405
Darkon is basically a clusterfuck of nonsense, but it is a LARP.

My experiences in roleplaying are tabletop and forum. I used to organize large themed BDSM events (usually 80+ people), so I do have a little experience in advertising and wrangling helpers. My biggest obstacle would be designing a fair combat system, I think. I do know a few LARPers that might be able to assist.

>>8936412
I have a very good idea of how stupid it sounds, yes. But the LARPs around me seem awful, so my options are, 1) ruin my palate with bad larp, 2) not larp at all, or 3) make my own.
>>
>>8936445
>Darkon is basically a clusterfuck of nonsense, but it is a LARP.
they say that about Amtgard and Dagorhir too, and yet...

Anyway the fighting system is the most important thing rules wise, but right now I'm talking about figuring out the basic shape and form of your would be larp which will be the base of the rules system. This way every time when you don't know what do do you can come back to the target audience and the what kind of larp questions and see if the stuff you want to do fits those or not

Making a rules system first and writing a larp around it is pretty much a back-assed way to do.
>>
>>8936458
I just got the idea today, so I'm still toying with it. I'll probably be thinking on this for weeks or maybe months before I dive in, just trying the gauge the difficulty level of the endeavor and figure out exactly what I want to do with it. Whatever I do, it won't be just my baby. I'm going to get as much help as I can if I go through with it.

The loose idea that I have is pretty generic. Parasitic infection in the brain causes psychosis of varying severity, spreads quickly, people go crazy and the world falls apart. No one figures out how it's spreading, but it's suspected to be absorbed through the skin.

My concern with that plot is that people are going to take the psychosis aspect and use it as an excuse to be "lol randumb" and throw bananas at eachother while squealing about penguins or something.
>>
>>8936466
you don't have to tell them how the world ended.

Also the difficulty level varies, depends on how good you want it to be. I mean anyone can make a NERO clone number #34 under a week or maybe a day and says it's done. It will be shit of course, but still people will consider it as a larp and some would even enjoy it.
>>
>>8936473
It doesn't need to win any prizes or be huge, it just needs to be fun enough for people to look forward to playing occasionally.
>>
>>8936485
well, for that, you doesn't even need a larp
>>
>>8936503
Would being in character and having a rules system and storyline not automatically make it LARPing?
>>
>>8936508
technically speaking, no.
>>
>>8936518
Huh. Then I must be fuzzy on the core concept. Does there need to be a goal or something?
>>
>>8936524
nope.
The best definition I've seen so far has three criteria:
1. Role-playing in which a character, not just a social role, is played.
2. The activity takes place in a fictional reality shared with others. Breaking that fictional reality is seen as a breach in the play itself.
3. The physical presence of at least some of the players as their characters.

but as I said it's technical speak. In the US most people consider everything larping as long as it has swords or seems childish
>>
>>8936530
didn't you come up with that criteria?
>>
>>8936530
Not only this >>8936898 but it's also literally what anon postulated but more clearly written.

You're really reaching, HLF. I think anon >>8936508 has a firm grasp on what we're talking about.
>>
>>8936508
Dude, stupid question: Where are you?
>>
>>8936898
nope, J. Tuomas Harviainen come up with those criteria.
>>
I applaud your willingness to try something new, anon. Let's take a look at your criteria and see if we can narrow down exactly what you want.

>Post-apocalyptic
Like Hungarian said, that's really fucking broad. What sort of themes are you looking at? Something like The Walking Dead, where the idea is that the survivors are more dangerous to each other than the zombies are? More military post-apoc, with the survivors organized into more hierarchical groups? Post-apoc fantasy, with mutant "trolls" and "orcs" and psychic powers that mimic magic? Paint us a general picture of what the world looks like.

>Fighting between camps would exist, but wouldn't be the main focus.
So, you're going to have to incentivize people to form smaller groups and fight each other over some things, but not all things. That's doable, but it's a bit tricky. In general, when there's a looming external threat, people will tend to band together and cooperate. Studies of tribal cultures have found that it's not external threats, but resource scarcity, that causes groups to form small factions, so keep that in mind. If you want pvp to be present but limited, you'll have to balance external threats vs. competition over limited resources.

>Ideally, I'd want more casual players who enjoy roleplaying and costuming best of all, with whom combat would be a secondary concern.
You may have a slight conflict of interest here. In my experience, "casual players" are the ones most likely to have bare-bones costumes (at least initially), since they see investing lots of time or money into a casual hobby as a waste. Just something to be aware of.

>I want it to be simple and sweet, with straightforward combat rules.
You probably want low numbers, then. That's a starting point system-wise, and something to keep in mind when you get around to developing mechanics, but it's not something to worry about just yet.
>>
>>8936942
Hey Gropey! You ok man? Your posts havent been up to your usual standard, and it seems like you have not done anything new in a while.
>>
I'm looking to make a shield for my character. I carry a long sword and a shorter (arming?) Sword and wanted to know how to best affix the strap that I'd sling it across my back with, someone at my larp suggested backpack like straps.
>>
>>8936089

>You are... very optimistic. Or naive. Maybe both

Optimistic rather than naive. Yeah after a few quick searches I've found nothing that matches my criteria.

http://www.gamegrene.com/node/282

I found the above and a couple of other links that I'll look through. Looks like I'll have to create a LARP magic page wiki thing.
>>
>>8937220

Nice. I like this post and how subtle it is compared to your usual posts.

I dub thee Sir Gropey Playa Hater!
>>
>>8936942
Maryland. Why?
>>
>>8938266
I know where Gropey is going with this.

You have five post apoc larp groups in Maryland.

You never tried google, have you?
>>
>>8938278
I did, everything I turned up was out of state when I took a closer look. My search terms were "post apocalyptic LARP maryland." What did you find?
>>
>>8938074
>>8938266
>Yeah after a few quick searches

You can't have looked that hard.

After 40,000 years on google searching "Post apoc larp maryland", I found the Larp directory's post apocalypse sub section as the first link. The second two links in line are the largest post apoc games in the country.

facebook DOT com SLASH groups SLASH apocalypseplayers

oblivion DOT immortalunbound DOT com

And Dystopia Rising is trying to get an MD branch together.

There is your spoon feeding.

>>8937220
In the off chance this isn't a troll, I have been dealing with a lot of personal business that is finally coming to head, and most of my finances and time have been directed to it. Thankfully, its almost over, and i'll be getting back a lot of long over due payment.

Also, I jacked up my wrist and knee at the last ACL practice, and have been recovering from that.
HOLYFUCK 4chan's spam filter is bullshit
>>
>>8938386
Only one of those is me. But unless you see something that I missed, which is entirely possible, both Oblivion and the Apocalypse Players are NJ based. Seems like there are a good number of post apoc larps in NJ.
>>
>>8938521
NJ based with MD branches, Anon. Both Gropes >>8938278 are right.
>>
File: SdKfz-222-1.jpg (2 MB, 3072x2048) Image search: [Google]
SdKfz-222-1.jpg
2 MB, 3072x2048
Sup, can I play too?
>>
>>8938523
Oblivion, at least, does not have a MD branch. I messaged them asking, since I didn't see one on their website.
>>
>>8938552
Sure. Historic reenactment and recreation are both welcome in larpthread. I do WWII doughboy, Gropey does colonial America and Great war, and another Anon is WWII Russian.

Which unit, Herr Anon?
>>
>>8938630
I was a part of the 150th Russian Rifles and the 23rd Panzer Division.
>>
Any ideas for doing samurai armor cheaply?
>>
>>8938658
Guten tag! As long as you're not one of "those" German reenactors, you'll find good company.

>>8938733
It depends, what kind?

Honestly, Japanese armour is the only armour that can get away with using black plastic industrial barrel. All you need is a jigsaw and a drill. Pic related, the helmets are steel, the bodies are plastic.
>>
File: 449397918_FM9T2-M.jpg (80 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
449397918_FM9T2-M.jpg
80 KB, 300x450
>>8938753
also plastic
>>
>>8938733
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z51JVYqphQ
>>
>>8938386
I think you got a little mixed up by the talk about the post-apocalypic larp, Gropes. He was making a few quick searches to see if there was a list of magic systems, not a post-apoc larp in Maryland.
>>
>>8937816
Generally your best best is to go with the historical method. Backpack straps on a shield would hold it pretty tight, but it would be very difficult to ready it at a moment's notice if you needed to, and would look a bit silly.

Try googling guides for shield straps, see if anything comes up.
>>
>>8938753
The weirdies who camp in the woods because they're "HARD CORE"...Nazis. No, I am not. I just like the cool uniforms.
>>
>>8938868
Backpack shields are not historic, and are a terribly gamey larpism.

Yes, they were slung over the shoulder on a single strap for transport, but it is not a valid defense in real combat.
>>
>>8938862
Probably. Im on pain meds right now. Sorry.

>>8938879
Its sad but true, like some Confederate ACW guys.

>>8938868
>>8938894
The term you're looking for is guige strap.
>>
>>8938894
>Backpack shields are not historic, and are a terribly gamey larpism.
That is what I said, yes.
>>
File: 4Tr2oPX.jpg (30 KB, 599x459) Image search: [Google]
4Tr2oPX.jpg
30 KB, 599x459
>>8938974
No worries, it happens.

>>8938074
This guy's list of which types of spells are LARPable seems incredibly arbitrary. Damage dealing/healing/preventing makes sense, yeah. But when he gets into some of the miscellaneous spells, his logic breaks down. Getting somebody to roleplay a spell that dazes them for 10 seconds strains suspension of disbelief... but expecting players to pretend a door is locked because somebody marked it with chalk doesn't? Both sides are equally valid here, but pick one and stick with it, man!

And of course, that's not getting into all the neat stuff you could do with ritual magic outside of combat.
>>
>>8935053
>>8935447
>>8935559

Huh. Would it be the same if, say you were using a two hand weapon or some other armor that didn't require a shield?
>>
>could buy normal, historical, in period shoes
>Or could buy modern tanker boots that could be a stretch to fit the LARP I'm in

someone decide for me it's either these guys or those boots the sell at kult of athena
>>
File: image018.jpg (140 KB, 666x653) Image search: [Google]
image018.jpg
140 KB, 666x653
>>8939690
Depends on your stance. In general, like most people who actually wear armour, I will do my best to armour as much as I can.

Armouring only one side was actually incredibly rare IRL. Romans legions got away with it because of their tactics. Gladiators, because it was all a show. The Irish Kernsmen and Landsknecht because they were poor, but would quickly equip better when they could.

Pic related. Finding art of this stuff is rare.
>>
>>8939753
I say historic boots, but thats just me. Buy tanker boots if you need daily wear boots outside of the game too.
>>
File: 3293544-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg (34 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
3293544-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
34 KB, 480x360
>>8939753
or get better for cheaper I use these guys
>>
>>8939753
>>8939761
Of all the possible modern boots you could buy, those aren't half bad compared to hiking and combat boots. What kinds of surfaces are you on at your local larps?
>>
>>8939753
The one in your pic related look like a steampunk thingy so its your call depending of the larp.

So better go with period shoes, you wont regret it.

(i put a Dr Scholl sole inside my period shoes to have a better support when walking with them)

Nobody will judge anybody for having combat boots in a larp.
>>
>>8939764
patches of uneven grass, the occasional rock surface, and beaten dirt trail. mostly slight slopes, all the time.
>>
File: fallcrown khf1.jpg (72 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
fallcrown khf1.jpg
72 KB, 480x720
>>8939773
So exactly the same thing as medieval people walked on?

Serriouslly though, get the historic boots, rough up the sole with sandpaper, and get an insole like Frenadian said. You'll be the coolest motherfucker on the field.

Even my haters cant deny my sexy thigh highs.
>>
File: caligae.jpg (29 KB, 246x320) Image search: [Google]
caligae.jpg
29 KB, 246x320
>>8939773
>>8939783
As long as you don't need to walk on concrete or hardwood I'd go with grope's suggestion. I've tried fighting on concrete in hobnailed caligae, not a fun time.
>>
File: pattens3.jpg (62 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pattens3.jpg
62 KB, 640x480
>>8939789
>As long as you don't need to walk on concrete or hardwood I'd go with grope's suggestion.

Neither my boots, nor the GDFB boots anon is looking at, have hobnails. Just the rough leather sole.

Hobnails are literally cleats. You don't wear cleats on hardwood or concrete do you?

That said, I wear a pair of pattens over my boots when I need traction in mud and such.
>>
>>8939789
>wearing caligae indoors or on a civilized road

Fucking pleb. Who let you out of your border province?
>>
>>8939795
>>8939789
Speaking of period shoes, what type and thickness of leather is good for making boots?
>>
There is a little Moor on my shoes.
>>
File: MarMule.jpg (26 KB, 219x292) Image search: [Google]
MarMule.jpg
26 KB, 219x292
>>8939798
>wearing caligae indoors or on a civilized road
Legionaries need to go everywhere and don't have time to change footwear to match your standards of fashion.

>Who let you out of your border province?
Say that to my face not on a Pompeian graffiti wall and I'll stab your pretentious ass.
>>
>>8939800
For the upper, shoe/heavy garment leather.

For the sole, sole bend leather.

Im not being a douche either. Thats the actual trade weights.
>>
>>8939802
Ok, I laughed.

>>8939803
Except when they were off duty, at home and in civilized land, they would remove their calligae...
>>
>>8939805
Cool thanks, a lot of stuff online isn't very helpful or direct
>>
>>8939809
>Except when they were off duty, at home and in civilized land, they would remove their calligae...
Your evidence being?
>>
>>8939813
...You don't know the traditional toast "Ex Caligae ad Carbatina"?
>>
>>8939821
Never heard of it, haven't found any references to it.
>>
>>8939824
Well, you have some homework.
>>
>>8939824
From boots to shoes. Found all over rome.
>>
>>8939827
Translating it isn't the issue, not finding a single reference to it outside of Gropey's 4chan posts is.

>>8939826
Already googled it, looked through JSTOR and half the history related databases my college offers. 0 reference to that phrase.
>>
>>8939803
You can't be too bright if you're wearing hobnails on hardwood and concrete. Don't blame the shoes anon.
>>
>>8939829
I saw it on a PBS documentary, so grain of salt.

>>8939833
Well, he is from the borders....
>>
>>8939829
Fucking Polybius wrote about it you pleb.
>>
>>8939839
Wasn't he Greek?
>>
>>8939845
Yes, but he Wrote the Histories and the Legions. I expected you to know that, clownfag.
>>
>>8939836
>My legs are coated thick with mud; then, anon, I am trampled upon by great heels all round me, and the hob-nail of the soldier's caliga remains imprinted on my toe.
Juvenal: Satire III: On the City of Rome c. 118 CE
https://legacy.fordham.edu/Halsall/ancient/juvenal3.asp
>>
>>8939839
>Fucking Polybius wrote about it
ctrl f-ed my way through all of book 6 (the one that talks about the Roman army) no reference to shoes or boots
>>
>>8939849
>Where they were in the city proper;
The legion commanded to, removes their boots in place of softer sandals.

Polybius, personal writings, 170 BCE
>>
>>8939848
Sorry, that is both after, and before my period interests. I prefer the 15thC romanticized Rome.

>>8939849
>Confirmed for know-nothing border province douchebags wearing wrongs shoes
>>
>>8939858
I will fuck you with my glorious vexillum you ignorant twat.
>>
File: I BET THE CHRISTIANS DID THIS.jpg (50 KB, 362x464) Image search: [Google]
I BET THE CHRISTIANS DID THIS.jpg
50 KB, 362x464
>>8939867
The hell dude
>>
>>8939861
>Polybius, personal writings, 170 BCE
These sources are all old enough to have free translations floating around somewhere, link or it didn't happen.
>>
>>8939753
Which boots from KoA?
>>
File: image.jpg (195 KB, 600x574) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
195 KB, 600x574
>>8939867
>>
>>8939861
>>8939867
>>8939873
Im curious now too. Either for the source, or the banner fucking.
>>
File: Diplomacy.jpg (30 KB, 194x310) Image search: [Google]
Diplomacy.jpg
30 KB, 194x310
>>8939882
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (838 KB, 452x765) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
838 KB, 452x765
Not sure if this is the area to post this but where would i find these online? or do i have to make them myself?
>>
Just posting the latest Ugo Serrano sex.... Thats a hardwood jousting helm, covered in 100 year old reclaimed velvet....

>>8939924
Its called an ailette, and was commonly wood, steel, hardened leather, and supposedly even heavy stacked glued parchment. I have never actually seen anyone sell them, as they are so easy to make.

Do note that they are worn awfully low in your picture, and they were never strapped, but pointed to the maille/gambeson.
>>
>>8939936
I NEED that helmet. Where is it from and how much?
>>
>>8939948
You're not going to like the answer....

The base helmet is a $2500+ custom Jeff Wasson piece in kiln hardened spring steel....

Then given to famour armourer Ugo Serrano to craft hand chase work, a crest made out of antique brass, and 100 year old red velvet...

You might want to start saving your pennies.

And with that, goodnight!
>>
File: 65852.jpg (67 KB, 460x869) Image search: [Google]
65852.jpg
67 KB, 460x869
>>8939960
>>8939936
Lord that is such a beauty and I usually don't go for stuff that isn't classical.
>>
>>8939936
>>8939960
Fuckin' cor, mate. Thats helm is worth more than my whole suit.
>>
meanwhile we had a Con last weekend, pics are slowly coming in, and yesterday we held a "mini-larp" for roughly 100 teachers to teach them the story-line method which is slowly goes into schools
>>
Any recommendations for shoes? Pic related are the closest thing I have, and I'm not sure how well they'd look in a fantasy larp
>>
File: 818a9wz+eTL._UX575_.jpg (24 KB, 575x336) Image search: [Google]
818a9wz+eTL._UX575_.jpg
24 KB, 575x336
>>8940404
dangit forgot pic
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 82

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.