[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
cosplaying in hot weather
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_nyv5voRGHG1t8qmajo1_540.jpg (96 KB, 540x361) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nyv5voRGHG1t8qmajo1_540.jpg
96 KB, 540x361
for this years's ACEN i'm planning on going as Ruby from RWBY, but the problem is
1) chicago summers are hot as balls
2) Ruby's outfit is almost all black and long sleeve
3) i sweat like a motherfucker
how do you gulls combat the heat? how do you save yourself from heatstroke and sweaty makeup?
pic slightly related
>>
Wear as little clothes as possible

Swimsuit versions of characters
>>
>>8925402
I go to Acen every year, and honestly the weather is really hit or miss. Some years it's super hot and other years it's freezing. My best advice is making sure to drink a lot of water and if you need to, take breaks to freshen up, reapply deodorant, etc. I don't remember if Acen did this, but I know at Midwest one of the days it was especially hot there was an ice cream truck near the loading docks, so maybe we'll get lucky with that.
>>
>>8925402
If you get really sweaty, bring along some unscented wet wipes with your deodorant and use those on your pits before reapplying it. Otherwise you're just putting deodorant on top of all your sweat and that's a pretty unpleasant feeling. I sweat like a motherfucker too, so I know this pain.

As for sweaty makeup, I carry those little makeup pads that keep you from getting oily (forget what they're called).
>>
>>8925402
1. Buy prescription strength deodorant. Idc how little or how much you sweat on a normal day, this is a good first step.
2. Cold packs. They sell them at most drug stores and super markets. If I have a bulky costume, I'll put some in the layers. If my costume won't hide them, I keep them handy and put them on the back of my neck and forehead when I start to overheat.
3. Drink water. Lots of it.
4. Take breaks. If you have a room, go up and strip down for a bit while you eat or something. Crank that AC. Wash up, reapply deodorant, etc.
5. Change. If at all possible, bring a second, lighter cosplay or outfit and change later in the day for dances/concerts/etc. It'll make you feel incredibly refreshed after a long day in the heat/sweaty costumes.

I survive DragonCon in Atlanta in the summer this way.
>>
I have a cosplay that's dark fabric 5+ layers including two vinyl ones that I've worn in 85/90 degree summers also at ACEN, which is nothing so bad as that. I'm not dead yet:
-Drink shit loads of water
-Stay out of the sun
-Consider planning to get IN costume and to the convention center before noon when the sun'll be out and it's the hottest part of the day. Stay inside if you're really concerned until it cools off a little.
-If don't already know anything about Acen, stay the fuck out of the skywalks. Those things'll be ovens after a few hours of high-traffic nerd travel. If it's not sunny, pop outside and take the quick jaunt that way.
-Consider getting an underarmor shirt or something instead of your normal base layer shirt if you can find one close enough. Athletic wear generally comes in red and black and it's engineered to help in scenarios like these.
>>
I've survived through hot days while wearing wool winter coats & all (Stupid move I know but I'm from a tropical country, there's no winter for winter cosplay) Shall give some pointers about it.

1. Keep your undergarments as light & breathable as possible
2. Layers are your enemy, do not stack multiple clothing items if possible
4. Bring cooling items such as battery-operated fan or cooling pads
5. Aim to be indoors with good air-ventilation, air-conds are sweet bonus
6. If you are outdoor, bring umbrellas, they help block out the sun & direct heat
7. Always prepare light clothings for changing out, & always check on yourself, if you feel any symptoms of overheating appearing, cool down or change out immediately, health is priority
>>
I do a lot of summer cons in the southern US and this is my attack plan:

- Prescription deodorant and dry spray.
- Carry a refillable bottle. (I start with gatorade and then refill with water)
- Carry blotting paper and powder.
- Put on final layers of costume when inside convention center.
- Think cold thoughts. (No seriously.)

If I get super overheated I'll duck into my hotel room and take off some costume pieces and my wig for a few minutes.
I also don't go outside unless I know where I'm going and don't randomly wander places because it's an easy way to overheat.
>>
>>8925487
I survive DragonCon by having a room at the Marriott. If I get hot, I can go up to my room, cool off, and then go back down.
>>
I'm used to a "hot" summer being about 25C and I went to Texas last summer for a convention. And of course every single costume I wore covered my legs and arms, two of them with fabric that covered my neck as well. This is how my maple blooded ass survived:

1) drink water
2) never stop drinking water it will seriously help so much it's incredible
3) any cosplay that has "layers" try to fake it. Like if a character has a t-shirt on top of a long sleeve shirt, just attach the short sleeves to the long sleeves, and attach that double sleeve to only one single shirt.
4) if you can, wear light, comfortable clothing underneath. I always wear spandex short-shorts and a tank top under my cosplays. Not only do the shorts protect me from unwanted panty shots, but then I am able to literally strip down out of my cosplay to the tank and shorts.
5) those little electric mini-fans
6) don't go outside after 11am or before 4pm. That's when it's the worst.
>>
>>8925402
Normally i just try not to br a little bitch about it an wear what outfit i want. Drink water and make sure to rest. The day i let the weather dictate cosplays is the day i stop cosplaying.
>>
you won't look kawaii having a heatstroke. stay hydrated and indoors as much as possible. if it becomes unbearable bring a lighter back up cosplay to change into for the hottest parts of the day.
>>
>>8925402
Saw this one in a Japanese cosplay magazine: get one of those freezer-gel eye masks and tuck it underneath the back of your wig cap.

For Ruby's particular design, I'd make the back panel of the jacket/shirt out of breathable mesh and count on it being covered by the cloak.
>>
SoCal congoer here.

1. DRINK WATER.
2. Bring deodorant with you, reapply it every so often.
3. Stay inside most of the con.
4. Prepare a lighter cosplay for later
5. If you have a hotel room, take breaks in there, potentially head to the pool as well.
6. Bring your makeup with you in case it starts sweating off and you need to reapply it.
>>
File: 1456697872746.png (160 KB, 482x158) Image search: [Google]
1456697872746.png
160 KB, 482x158
Not a convention goer, but I am outside for ten hours in the Texas heat at work and here is what I would do:
-Dark colors? Try and do cut outs with mesh or other light breathable fabrics in areas that will have cape or hair coverage
-Water is amazing. Do you not enjoy the taste of water? Treat yourself for every second bottle of water with a tea/Gatorade/koolaid pouch added to you bottle.
-Eat light but filling, nothing feels worse than heavy and overstuffed in 100F heat
-Bring your deodorant and reapply. Sweat proof make up or try and keep it as light as you can.
-If you have to go outside take off what you can (thick coats/cloaks/shawls) and keep a large hat/umbrella for shade
-Light clothes underneath for very quick emergency changes and a much lighter cospkay if you still want the fun of it.
Also going outside in nonconstrictive ling sleeves is not the end of the world and can help with the sun. Keep shaded, hydrated, and guilty pleasure ice patches under breasts and in armpits. That is the best feeling.
>>
>>8925651
All of this. And also carry a towel and paper fan. I usually have one on top of blotting paper in my bag.
>>
Cooling pads/packs under your wig
>>
I find the most important technique to staying cool is building your cosplay to be able to cool you by itself. The number one thing is choosing a cooling, breathable fabric. Linen is easily the best cooling fabric that exists. I've worn 7 layers before in Los Angeles heat and been perfectly fine because I was wearing linen undergarments. I cannot recommend it enough, especially for underwear. Light cotton and silk also work, but wool and heavy cotton/silk tends to be bad. Synthetics are practically always bad unless well blended.

Other anons have also mentioned constructing with less layers in mind. I find this to be a good technique to follow in any case, simplifying the costume to make it easier to wear, move in, and take on and off. Wearing longer layers can help prevent sunburn which help with cooling too. Thinning wigs out can help vent heat from the head.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.