[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fanime is only 2 months away. How was the quality of the recent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: logo_C4907.png (53 KB, 250x123) Image search: [Google]
logo_C4907.png
53 KB, 250x123
Fanime is only 2 months away. How was the quality of the recent past Fanimes and do you think you'll be going this year?
>>
>>8922700
Fanime needs to die.
>>
>>8922717

Why do you say that my fellow nihongo
>>
Why hasn't the website been updated, do I need to check their facebook? Fucking christ...

>>8922717
Listen son, downtown San Jose doesn't have much going on these days, we kinda need the convention around. Plus all bar shootings/stabbings have been boring as of late.
>>
File: 1389294274562.png (188 KB, 1139x1437) Image search: [Google]
1389294274562.png
188 KB, 1139x1437
>no events or guest announced yet
Every single year.
>>
>>8922717
>>8923921
Kill yourselves
>>
>>8923921
This year's probably THE worst of all the years I've been to. At this rate, Fanime can announce practically nothing and still earn enough money because of their pre-reg-to-get-hotel-priority scheme (which did not go well)
>>
>>8924085
Fanime just keeps dropping the ball.

Press registration STILL isn't up.
>>
>>8924099
not just press. professional reg still isn't up and panel registration has no deadline. They have nothing at all, and it's about 2 months away from con date.
>>
I go for hanging out with friends, cosplaying/photoshoots, eating my way through downtown San Jose, and seeing the music guest, so I have an awesome time no matter what. If you're going to Fanime for the general guests/communication/organization, you're gonna have a bad time. Not making excuses for Fanime, as they need to get their shit together, but at this point it's a hangout con.
>>
File: 1434934092147.jpg (35 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1434934092147.jpg
35 KB, 500x375
>>8924084
You first roastie.
>>
>>8924391
They told me that they would be making panel decisions within the month. This was in an email I got yesterday. Since this is Fanime time we're working on, I expect to find out around mid May about panels, and I'm sure that the schedule will go out to non-panelist attendees long after that.

Panel registration not having a deadline doesn't seem like a good sign, since that might mean that they are desperate for panel submissions and want to keep it open for as long as possible. Either that or they'll suddenly close it one day without any warning or announcement. Communication isn't their strong suit, to but it mildly.
>>
>>8924084
Fanime staffer? Please tell your bosses to please die. They shouldn't be running a con.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 599x489) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 599x489
>>8924085
Well the prereg room priority thing did work, it's impossible to get a connecting hotel versus last year having rooms up to a month before. So it kind of looks like fanime didn't have anyone or anything in terms of programming, so they created competition to ensure interest.
Pretty greasy, but for having zero programing they're pretty full up. Funny eh?
I have a 1300 room reserved at the Hilton from hotels.com there's no way I can pay for, so of wait list fails me in beyond fucked.

Such a strange con year, sakuracon, fanime, comic con, and AX all failures for me personally, kind of a bummer.
>>
Its the same arguments over and over:

But anon, no good guests and pre-reg is bad, and the music is going to suck, blah blah blah

>then

But Fanime isn't about the guests or the huge shows. It focuses on anime and friends and its mostly just a huge hangout convention with 24/7 open areas like the arcade and the viewing rooms and the raves.

Love it or hate it, I personally love Fanime. This is my 9th year. Its user friendly [unlike AX], the 24/7 areas are awesome for people who, say, can only come one day and really want to get the most they can out of what they paid instead of everything shutting down at 8pm. The cosplays and environment are fantastic and the layout for where things are have pretty much been the same over the years, so if you are lost somoene can easily point you where to go. Not going to lie, the Ball being way over near the science exhibit last year was a huge pain in the ass since it was a new venue, but that really had no real weight on my experience.

Ive been to AX. It is garbage. Game room is shitty, so one really knew where anything was - even the info people who were working the convention, everything shut down so early, and the over crowding was out of hand. The panels were ALL OVER THE PLACE and you had to walk like 10 miles to get to certain panels because the layout of the convention center sucks ass.
>>
>>8926512
I'm with you it somehow manages to come out on top of hte high attendance West Coast cons though it's mostly due to location, reliable weather, good city for food and photo shoots and the con center being able to accommodate 24 hours a day. It was really more of a good location choice that's paid off in the long run.

I hesitate to call the hotel system greasy because it was a legitimate issue and something needed to be done. Lack of any other announcements is due to incompetence not scheming.

And fuck it if lack of guests, hotel shenanigans etc is going to keep people from coming then good. During peak hours on Saturday and Sunday the main halls just become a mosh pit and so do the crosswalks. We can afford to lose a few thousand congoers
>>
>>8926512
I actually like AX because it has company sponsorship.
>front row seats to Little Witch Academia
Company panels are always interesting.
>>
>>8927338
The difference between Fanime and AX are that AX spends more time with sponsors and advertisers and guests than Fanime does because Fanime never was a guest and sponsor convention. They have always been, and will always be, a fan convention. A convention where fans come together to enjoy stuff, not shove sponsored content down their throats in the Dealers Hall and for shows. There are tons of different anime and comic conventions and they all pander to the attendees differently. Fanime is a hangout convention. AX is a sponsor and showcase convention.

I honestly think comparing Fanime to other conventions is unfair since they've always been more about people having fun with friends and having lots to do as far as entertainment with their rooms and 24hr arcade room and Stage Zero areas.
>>
Fanime is the convention I go to for photoshoots. It's even ghost friendly if you don't mind not being in a block hotel (new as of this year). There's almost zero reason to buy a badge and the hotel scheme was a perfect way for them to generate badge sales. AX is where I go for actual guests I give a shit about and where you'll actually want to do something with your badge. Selling out to the industry has its benefits.

Seriously the only thing you need the badge for at fanime is the concert and the game room. The dealer's hall is same shit as every other convention and you can easily skip the panels. I don't think I went to a single one last year.
>>
>>8927353
i'd add that fanime's AA is one of the best ones i've been to, though i really dislike that they seem to prefer print art over crafters the last few years.
>>
>>8924677
>Love live
>frog poster

Seriously, like get hit by a car
>>
>>8928401
Not op but, kek
why are you getting so salty over a meme?
>>
>>8927487
Even as somebody in the AA it was disheartening since I don't like buying prints very much. Half the craft people they let in were shitty perlers anyway.

Can't say how the high number of prints has been affecting sales since it was my first time at Fanime last year, but it was still my best con last year so who knows.
>>
Has the hotel waitlist moved any or am I just fucked?
>>
>>8930419
You are fucked, ask for a refund if no hotel screws you over.
>>
>>8922700
Fanime is a hangout/party/Cosplay convention primarily. Don't go unless you plan on doing at least 2 of the mentioned items above...or if a girl you know is thirsty to cheat on her boyfriend that weekend.
>>
For those of you saying Fanime don't need guests:

Do you really think convention can survive without any viable guests and only you weebs partying it up like some wanna-be frat kids??
>>
>>8930690
It's kept Fanime strong for all these years?

Here's my big question, if guests are all that matters, then what do you do in between? Not everyone can see the guest events due to room size and if they did then it won't take the entire con. Are you just gonna bum around the hallway passively looking at stuff until the con closes?

If Guests = Quality then that means you must love Sac Anime.
>>
>>8930690
I like how Fanime is right now because its a wonderful alternative to all the other cons that push big guests and have little else to do inbetween. If you want big name guests in CA then you have all these cons

SDCC
SVCC
Wondercon
Sac Anime Winter/Summer
AX
AoD

We don't have too many big dumb party cons in CA.
>>
>>8930690
if they'd fix the masquerade, it would go a long way towards making the con better.

also if they actually fucking let us know any info whatsoever. i feel like the last few years have been "oh shit we forgot we had a con to run, so let's put it together in 6 weeks" on the part of the higher ups.
>>
>>8930960
I feel like we're battered wives going "They'll get good guests next year! They have to!" and continue to register even though we're disappointed every year. Meanwhile head staff laughs at our stupidity safe in the knowledge they don't have to do shit

>>8931177
Have you been to aod? It's a tiny con. It was in a convention center this year because there was four other events sharing the cost
>>
>>8931518
Its not just the programming, generally fanime's sucessful efforts have been made by unpaid volunteers and performers and (like previous anons have said) fans themselves to hang out and make the 34 atmosphere fun as hell.
hitch is when you notice the effort put into the events, you have to wonder where your con badge price is going to. check out sakuracon's rave that's happening this weekend, its not just a stage in a panel room with some blinking lights, dance floor and stereo. there's a back stage crew, there's a lighting tech with fuckin lasers in a huge venue (STAGE) and a pit.
their music guests are at least hyped a bit, the line is huge. their con shows thoughtfulness, is what im saying.
People cant just dismiss the criticisms because they love the con, i love the con, but it was (and could be) better.
>>
Da-iCE confirmed for musicfest
>>
>>8931549
What really gets me is that they can have the best of both worlds. The strong fanbase is not going to suddenly disappear if staff gets their shit together and gets better guests and actually invests money into the convention. Banzai Arcade, Gong Show, random games of ninja in the game room, stage zero, etc will still be there. If anything the fanbase shouldn't HAVE to make their own convention. It should be an option or a supplement to the convention's own strong offerings. Right now the fans are doing the majority of the work when they shouldn't have to.
>>
>>8931857
who? guess avex is trying to promote them. a quick glance at wikipedia shows they have nothing related to anime, manga, or otherwise. I might actually skip a concert this year
>>
>>8931881
"by fans, for fans". Thats the motto of fanime and has been since its beginning. Its always been about the fans and how their experience and effort go into making the atmosphere what it is. You basically just talked about things the fans DO. The Gong Show has guests involved. It started AS a panel and is not a full event. Stage Zero was started by con goers who brought the idea up to the Stage Zero staff who helped plan it. The ninja games in the game room and around the con are all done by the fans because they just want to play around. The same goes for cosplay chess. You have to understand that all these elements that Fanime has now is because of congoers and not all only because of staffers.

This whole convention is a fan convention. Thats why there are barely any advertisers or sponsors in the DH like at AX or SDCC.
>>8931881
>If anything the fanbase shouldn't HAVE to make their own convention. It should be an option or a supplement to the convention's own strong offerings. Right now the fans are doing the majority of the work when they shouldn't have to.

That is EXACTLY what Fanime is about and people purchasing tickets year after year know this. Its not something kept secret. In fact Im glad its not. It allows people to put more effort into enjoying their time while other things are still open 24/7. It gives the FANS the opportunity to actually enjoy the convention. Yes, there are planned events and panels and the masquerade, but inbetween it is all up to the fans how they want to plan it out. I have no idea if what I am saying it really making sense or if I am just running around in circle at this point.
>>
>>8931993
Again, why not both? They are not mutually exclusive things. There's no magic rule saying you can't have a big name guest while also having good fan content. If anything Banzai Arcade, the Gong Show, and late night shenanigans in the game room fill a time slot that an event with big guests like AX doesn't utilize as much. AX's closest analog would be Last Comic Standing
>>
>>8932001
Those things are very late at night. Like.. The Gong Show is at midnight. No guest would agree to do stuff that late. Also, if you think about it, Fanime still makes some of the least amount of money for conventions because they've never had big names. Unless you want them to really jack up sales and stop holding so may events around that area, the money they do make goes into a 5 DAY CONVENTION, 24/7. Thats a lot of rental space money. Not to mention the panel rooms in the hotels as well as the rental rooms for the Black and White ballroom lessons and event. Then the two days of renting the music hall across the street. They make money for their space, not so much for super high end guests who will ask for rooms, plane fare..etc.

I don't think many of you understand the length Fanime goes to to actually host itself and the money they need to put into it to keep it one of the only 5 day conventions that is open 24/7. Big guests cost big money. They don't have the money for THOSE kinds of guests.
>>
>>8932029
Not to mention that $65 for a 5 day badge really isn't that much money at all for a con that is open with so many things throughout the weekend and how many people are assholes and ghost instead. Even if you ghost you have access to some pretty cool shit like the viewing rooms and stage zero.
>>
>>8932029
You're misunderstanding me. I don't want the guests to do Gong Show and other late night content. I want the guests to BE AT THE CONVENTION TO BEGIN WITH. They would get the usual daytime slots and do their usual guest things. Right now Fanime doesn't get the guests that something of its size and prestige should have. Hell, most of AX's guests have their bills footed by the companies and not the convention themself. Fanime can have both guests and fan-run content.
>>
>>8932040
>>8926512
>Its the same arguments over and over:
>>
>>8932099
i think anon's issue is that fanime USED to get really good guests, especially japanese guests.

i don't go for guests, but i definitely have seen a decline in guest quality and number.
>>
>>8931518
AoD also had some popular anime VAs, the creator of Hatafou Boyfriend and Lotus Juice. The fact it was a small con meant that you can easily get autographs. AoD was a guest focused con
>>
>>8932040
>>8932001
Fanime is already hard enough to get a room for with just randoms coming in. Adding in guests will just spike up demand even more and make it hell.
>>
>>8932109
I don't go to guests for Fanime because I know there isn't going to be any. I go because I'm local and a lot of my real life friends go. If I wasn't local I would pass, much like I passed on Sakuracon this year because it was lackluster

>fanime USED to get really good guests, especially japanese guests.
This. There's no good reason for them to have a decline in guest quality while also having growing attendance.
>>
>>8932029
>> They don't have the money for THOSE kinds of guests.

Maybe if they either stop or hand over Clockwork Alchemy to some other group, maybe they'll have enough money and HR focus to run the con properly
>>
Gettin real tire of these clear schills going "by fans for fans hurr durr" motto
You're not getting it, you're sycophantic, and frankly, you're newfags.

Fanime has been in fact been better before, I saw duel jewel and psycho le cemu at fanime ffs,

>hurr durr it's crowded as it is to get a room dot need the competition.
This statement is so stupid I almost can't address it. Of an event is out growing a venue, you change the venue. If growth stops for a convention, it can die as space fees are huge and fan retention (while high) is never 100%. So lets stagnate and diminish the quality of something we love, for the sake of not wanting the things we like to change, also, fuck any and all potential.
That's. stupid.
Thas the stupidest hong I've heard on /cgl/ in a long time.
>>
>>8932262
unfortunately, this is the mentality of new generation of cosplayers. They think con's fun and good, as long as party's good and they get their ego stroked by getting cosphotos taken and circlejerk with their facebook page schilling.
>>
>>8932459
>>8931518

The point we're trying to make is that a guest is only a SMALL fraction of what the con offers. Usually a con with a huge guest list you'll hit up 3 to 4 of their panels (if you're lucky). What the hell are you going to do for the rest of the con for the day? I've been to so many cons where the inbetweens are just so listless and dull. Everyone browses the dealers hall, the AA and just passively walks around. If you're not window shopping then you're in line.

There's something ALWAYS going on at a Fanime and the stuff that goes down there just makes it full of life. The fan panels offered there are some of the best I've seen around (Gong Show, Banzai Arcade) and the attendees really come across as friendly and super approachable.

As stated from anon earlier, there are a lot of cons that are pushing guests above everything else. Fanime is showing itself to be the alternative. If guests did matter, how come the attendence keeps jumping up year after year while the quest quality is going down? Heck many people are choosing Fanime over AX another con in the same time period that pulls in pretty good names
>>
>>8932262
> Of an event is out growing a venue, you change the venue

I can see it now

>FANIME NOW MOVES TO ANAHEIM!

And thus NorCal loses another con to SoCal
>>
>>8932566
Probably not, because SoCal's already overflowing with conventions to the point that it's becoming ridiculous.

Maybe that's why Fanime's been able to maintain its 25k-27k attendance range, because it's one of the few notable con in the NorCal for now. But with some other cons popping out, like SVCC, it might get lost in shuffle if they don't get their shit together.
>>
>>8932674

SolCal took Wondercon and Twitch con. Where else would Fanime move?

Meanwhile Fanime is longer, cheaper and offers a different vibe from SVCC. With SVCC you need to spend money on a badge, and then spend fees for autographs for each guests, add to this normal con costs and extra spending money for art and swag and you got a high total. Meanwhile, for someone who is not there to get stuff signed and see guests, what does SVCC have to offer?

JX tried to compete against Fanime offering more guests and they got blasted out of the water.
>>
>>8932566
Wondercon moved out because Moscone was being renovated. Moscone wasn't even being used in its entirety by Wondercon so size wasn't an issue. The incredibly shit parking of San Francisco and hotel costs pretty much guaranteed that going elsewhere was an improvement. They see no reason to come back from Anaheim. Moscone is great for tech conventions where your attendees have a ton of cash to throw around, not so great for everyone else

>>8932744
JX failed for a variety of reasons and being guest focused was not one of them. The main one being that they had a shitty time slot (the equivalent of a panel being placed at 3pm on the last day) in a very crowded California market with no real other options. People were either going back to school or had already spent their time and vacation days on earlier cons. Being controlled by French people expecting to use a still very French model was another. The third was their controllers wanting a fast growth/ROI immediately and when it wasn't growing as fast as they wanted they pulled the plug.

If Fanime was the new guy in 2016 pulling the same shit they are now while trying to break in they would get shredded too. Fanime is alive because they are the incumbent and not because they are the best. They got into the game when there was no competition and they both occupy a lucrative holiday time slot guaranteeing that a large number of attendees can go to at least three of its four days and occupy a venue with great looking surroundings. They're sitting on their laurels and kept afloat by the mere fact that everyone is already going to it which means everyone will keep going to it. The only improvement of note is that that they unfucked a registration system and that shouldn't even be noteworthy! It's basically the same convention as it was many years ago. Hell, it's regressed on guests. It should be continuously improving itself.
>>
>>8931898
Yep, they're a no name literally who jpop band, to be fair their music is ok
>>
>>8932828
I personally love Fanime. If they're not the best in CA, then who is?
>>
Little late, but since Fanime is coming up and you guys are arguing about con center shit

Looks like a second expansion is happening already, with a new hotel hinted in the works, thoughts and speculation?

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_29450918/san-jose-officials-want-south-hall-convention-center
>>
>>8932881
expect it in a decade
San Diego Convention Center doesn't even have a timeline for their expansion (it's not even fully approved) and you know they would expand it at the drop of a hat because of SDCC
>>
>>8932229
What's the deal with Clockwork Alchemy? Do people actually go to it? Not having any interest in steampunk, it feels like a cancerous growth on Fanime's back.
>>
>>8932828
So like AX in other words, but without the "great" guests? Granted I do agree that Fanime has certainly regressed guest wise (how can you not), but still.
>>
I really think people aren't exactly taking a step back and realizing what is going on with guests. There are, I dont know, how many conventions in the US? Some bands have tours, VAs and manga artists and creators have jobs to do and deadlines, so they can't fly out. Its great some well known band is booked for one convention, but two months later they can't be booked for another one in the US.

Its not as easy as you think to get guests.
>>
>>8932914
>taking a step back and realizing what is going on with guests
it's called Fanime is doing fucking nothing.

there's a huge pool that you can draw from (it's not like there are only 10 guests in the world and every convention is bidding on only those 10 guests) and since they've had good guests in the past they can have good guests again. No excuse.
>>
>>8932922
Do it. Try to book a guest for, I dont know, something. How about a party? You contact another country and try to get a fancy guest to come out within a year when perhaps they already have a lineup planned out through their manager for shows and events they are already attending. You really have no idea how hard it is to get people, do you? Its like calling Lady Gaga or someone like Drake and telling them that in a year they want them to play at Fanime. No. Thats not how it work. Doesn't even have to BE Fanime. That's just an example. Managers and producers than shit out. On top of that, there are times when the band is on vacation, already recording and are too busy to perform at venues.

We got a performance guest. Yes, they are unknown, but for fucks sake. Its a music guest and the cool thing is that they are still new. They may blow up in the next year or two and you would've been able to see the before they got super big. Plus, its a fucking boy band! I'm personally stoked! Compared to all the other guests they will probably be performing more than the ones we have previously had. Ive never seen a kpop or jpop singing group perform before. Seems awesome as fuck to me.
>>
>>8932929
Also when it comes to foreign bands vs the amount of conventions in the US and around the world at this point, getting a specific band is difficult. Tons of conventions are vying for these kinds of guests and its a bit inconvenient to ship the guests out one moth, back another month, and back again. One convention may get FLOW and another could get Aya Hirino and maybe in turn thats the only US show they will play in their year of performing. Its a lot to have the fly out and depending on who it is, a lot of money as well. Fanime got a big boy band this year. Thats x amount of tickets [unless Fanime is making them pay for their own travel] and the rooms plus travel to the convention. Its not cheap to host guests. Even someone like Jessica Nigri requests a large sum and with conventions being crazy popular the most years go on, guests are only going to ask for more money because they can see the dollar signs.
>>
>>8932929
you're the ones who are supposed to have a fuckhuge network to work with after twenty odd years of Fanime
AX recovered pretty well when Chase Wang left because of Lattanzio and AX couldn't get his contact list because Wang basically said go fuck yourself
>>
>>8932941
Um, I dont work for the convention. Calm down, anon. I'm just not a hyped up weeb who is upset they can't meet their idollu.
>>
>>8932955
Oh man, this thread just gets more and more hilarious. "He's mad because he can't meet ___!" As people have said, AX has guests and a lot of the time they're ones I want to see. I want Fanime to be on that same caliber because it damn well should being one of the largest conventions in the US.
>>
>>8932961
Don't think anon is wrong though. Most of the people complaining about the guests are the kinds of people who stand in lines for hours upon hours in their cringe worthy attire related to the said guest's work and most of the time are younger adults or even teens who, basically, are on the verge of weeb.
>>
>>8932961
AX has an advantage since its in one of the most well know places in the world. Even in Animes and mangas, Los Angeles is said or reference to. Fanime, on the other hand, is located in NorCal and not even near San Francisco. Fanime will never be as big as AX even if they got big guests. Its not in a recognizable locations to foreign guests. Sorry, anon, and don't go thinking getting big guests would make it recognizable. It wouldn't.
>>
>>8932989
It should be getting good guests because it's top 10 in the US and not because it's in "a recognizable place." Numbers talk.

>>8932964
And those people pay good money which then means the convention can continue to grow with its increased normie population and the income they bring.
>>
>>8933003
>mfw people complain about the convention being too big
>>
>>8932989
Explain Sakura-con guest list then
>>
Also see: Kawaii-con in Hawaii
>>
>>8932989
>animes
>mangas
Shut your mouth please. You don't know shit. Just look at Sakura-Con and Kawaii-Con.
>>
Wow, it's like people who keep saying 'we don't need big guests at conventions' have only gone to two small fringe local con starting 2014 and all they did is drink and try to score girls only to fail hard.
>>
>>8932895
It's for an older steam punk crowd which definitely has a dedicated presence in the Bay Area.
>>
>>8933257
Been going since 2006 and really only have gave a shit about Gen Urobuchi at Japan Expo USA and Homemade Kazoku at Fanime. When I was younger US dub artists were a bigger deal then I realized at US conventions it's a coin toss if certain US guests show up because it's the same 15 people or so.

I go mainly for cosplay stuff, atmosphere and sometimes do artist alley and don't have time for much else
>>
>>8933274
I feel like there is actually a real minority for people who go ONLY for guests. If thats why you go to conventions then that's sad. You're better off paying for actual tours in the US at places that aren't conventions and the ones that do agree to go to a convention, just go to that one. Fanime will never be a guest convention and have been lucky to snag the bunch they have. I go for friends and the atmosphere too. That's the type of convention Fanime is and always has been. Its not guests that draw the crowd.
>>
>>8933522
So you pay between 40-50 for weekend badge, maybe between 30-100 for room (depending on how many people are in your room), gas, food, etc. all just to see your friends and atmosphere??

Who's the sad one here?
>>
>>8933568
Hahahaa. I live 20 minutes away.

And yes. $65 for a 5 DAY CONVENTION. That's cheap considering AX and Comic Con prices for something that is only 2 and a half days and the convention actually closes down at night while Fanime has their's open 24/7 during the convention.
>>
>>8933568
Don't forget that cons that draw huge guests usually require you to pay extra fees to see the high profile stuff be it tickets, autograph fees, photo fees and special merch that could only be signed

People drop at least 100 just to see a few guests over the course of two days and then bounce to leave the rest of the con behind.

Compare that for 65 for 5 days and the later looks like the smarter purchase
>>
>>8933585
I honestly don't see whats wrong with a convention not caring for high profile guests. Fanime does get guests, but they don't have to go out of their way to look for the highest of the high profile or even people ultra relevant. Especially when other conventions are looking for that stuff. I like that Fanime keeps their guests as small time with the surprise of a bigger guest now and then during the years. I don't see anything wrong with it. If you go for guests, don't go to Fanime. Simple as that. Can people stop bitching now?
>>
How is the shuttle service? My group has always gotten downtown hotels until now, this year we got the Double tree(It's something I guess) I'm a multiple cosplays per day type person so I'd want to go back and forth to the hotel. I've been on the AX shuttles and thought they were pretty reliable.
Are there more than one per route? Are they actually timely for peak hours? How is the waiting(does it get crowded?)?

My non-cosplay friends are thinking of renting a car, since they're there for hanging out, shopping, gaming, and partying. We know parking is a bitch and expensive, but it might be more convenient to pack up props or shit we buy, and bring quick change cosplays to change to at the convention center. Also opens up more food options.
>>
>>8933652
If I remember right, I drove my friend to her DT when we were at Fanime a few years ago. You have to get back on the highway if I remember right. I wouldn't say its that great of a distance if you area multiple cosplay per day type person. You could always bring a backpack with you with your change of clothes or if you have a friend who is driving there and will stay a while, ask to use their car to hold your stuff in or something like that.
>>
>>8933652
Uber is cheaper. Tipn your driver or die.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 283x314) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 283x314
>>8933648
You missed the Forrest for the trees idiot. you come into the thread without reading the previous posts, so let be sum it up: guests are an example of effort out forth by con staff. Besides sheer numbers and events run by fans (FOR FREE) fanime lacks competitively to almost every other con in terms or programming, organization, and consideration to the attendee, IE, a nice fucking dance room like sakura con just had, or one some fucking effort in booking musical talent/ industry guests and perhaps maybe some actual reason to buy a badge.
Fanime has always had bad troubles
With ghosting, wonder why that is? Could it be some find it eat as there's fuck all to do? Well fanime remedied that by requiring badge purchase for rooms this year, that'll solve everything.

tl;dr fuck off until you know what we're all discussion here.
>>
This thread has a shitload of samefagging. I'm gonna admit I'm one of the "why the fuck aren't there guests?" posters and consist of at least ten posts going down that trail of thought (with at least one other person agreeing) but I feel like the Fanime Defence Force currently consists of one person

there's only 33 posters and that's with the addition of people like >>8933652 and >>8933662 and >>8933660. There was 31 posters when >>8933274 was made.
>>
>>8933903
>lacks competitively to almost every other con in terms or programming, organization, and consideration to the attende

They have a 24 hour con, the center doesn't close, 24 hour live programing.

>a nice fucking dance room like sakura con

The black and white ball is held at the tech museum. The whole dance is well lit, well ventilated, the dance floor is large and there's plenty of space to sit down

>fBesides sheer numbers and events run by fans (FOR FREE)

How is that different from any other con with fan panels?
>>
>>8933903
>Could it be some find it eat as there's fuck all to do

You honestly can't be saying that there's nothing to do at fanime. Some of the panels at the con that I saw were well worth the badge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g5tubh-6uY

You don't hear hype like that at even some of the guest panels at other cons
>>
>>8933946
CWF isn't even fanime exclusive
>>
>>8933972
Fanime is the biggest CWF show. Meanwhile all other shows are used to build Fanime which is where the biggest feuds are resolved. Every show after that Fanime has been used to build up hype for their potential show in 2016.

So while there are multiple CWF shows, its the ones at Fanime that count the most. Aka Fanimania = Wrestlemania
>>
>>8933975
I doubt people really remember what is going on between shows because it's not like it's on tv weekly with a ppv every month
>>
>>8933979
You'd be surprised by that fact. People still chant "Dio's gorgeous", they already know of the feud between Yami/Mac, they remember debuts made in other shows, hell even chants follow wrestlers from different points in CA. Onii Ares was booed out of Fanime and when he returned at ALA in 2016 the crowd did the same thing.

The fanbase has a good memory for this sort of thing.
>>
>>8934404
That's still what, one of maybe 5 or 6 good panels at Fanime? I like CWF panel at Fanime ALOT don't get me wrong, but 4 day con with only 5 worthy panels aren't something to be proud of. With guest panels, you get to hear things you don't normally hear at fan panels, like industry experience. That's why Fanime need guest panels to offer up variety in their panel types.

Speaking of CWF, heck I'll take Kazuchika Okada as GOH at Fanime at this point. He briefly cameo'd in World Trigger anime, so he has more credibility than whatever Fanime has up as guest right now,
>>
Just because a con has guests you like doesn't mean you'll be able to do much except go to a Q&A paneland sit through a lot of spaghetti questions and autographs are pretty tough to get. Some cons charge extra or limit it to 200 people per guest so they don't have to cram 2000 people into a 2 hour slot. Even if you get there with ample time cons live to put autographs in some other hugely public room like registration and 200 people sneak in line before doors open.
Japanese VAs are a good get but go to any Q & A s and many don't usually have much to say besides "I enjoyed working on that project," "Everyone worked very hard," and "I hope I can work hard with everyone in the future." Watch as fat neckbeards try to throw them questions about their love life or some crazy postmodernism fan theory they concocted abour their character.

Meanwhile comic cons be like "We got the blue ranger from that season of Power Rangers you didn't see aND hasnt acted in amy thing since." People who are still big fans of Power Rangers or Super Sentai are either super cool chill people or literally autistic.
>>
>>8934425
For me it's how Fanime gives panels like the CWF and Banzai Arcade top billing that puts them in good faith in my book. Those shows work their asses off to deliver amazing content but are often hamstrung by cons to be in small panel rooms at early hours. There are many people who voiced that they would buy a badge just to see the CWF.

Oh yeah, last year Fanime had a pretty dope NJPW panel. Hopefully those people will make a return
>>
>>8933903
>>8933903
>tl;dr fuck off until you know what we're all discussion here.

Sounds like someone who has never been to Fanime. $65 for a 5 day convention that doesn't shut down with continuous live programming? Yeah. I'll take that over a $80 AX badge where it is so overcrowded past the capacity level regardless of what their guest is. Their guest could be the fucking Brown Eyed Girls for all I care and I'll still choose Fanime over AX or Sakura-Con for the one reason that my ticket stretches farther for the price. Its just a fucking guest. Not everyone goes for guests. Most people now go for the cosplay and Dealers Hall and the masquerade. Hell.. I think more people go for the masquerade than the actual guest.
>>
>>8932989

I just got back from Sakuracon, which had a bunch of great Japanese guests (except for their music guest, which was a gimmicky nobody.) It's a con of comparable size in another "unrecognizable" city, so what's Fanime's excuse?
>>
>>8934570
don't go to fanime then
>>
>>8934570
Is Sakuracon ran for profit?
>>
>>8934579

I love Fanime and am one of the people defending it as a great hangout con earlier in the thread, so nope, still going, and you can fuck off. I just think it should still be held accountable for its shit guests and organization.
>>
>>8934873
You don't sound like you're trying to say that, you type of people do this every year before a guest shows up
>>
>>8932109
Big cons started shoving sponsorships and bigger money out for guests at cons, so it's likely more challenging for a con like Fanime that lacks sponsorships and a better payout option for their guests to come by.
>>
>>8934507
It gives you the option of going to or not going to . You can still ignore the guests if you want and just see the few night time panels Fanime actually has that are good. Or you could see the night time panels AND do guest stuff during the day.
>>
>>8934709
Sak is run by a nonprofit
>>
>>8934552
>I think more people go for the masquerade
except fanime's masq blows?
>>
>>8934552
Fanime masq is one of the worst in the socal right now. No one I know that go to Fanime see it anymore.
>>
>>8935246
I meant to say Norcal, damn
>>
For that vaunted 24/7 programming you'll notice that most people don't care as is evident by the lack of attendees during the late hours. People like to do things like sleep and eat and unwind. You'll also note that accordingly a lot of the late hour programming is not meant to draw in people or be big events. At late night you are limited to: watch random things in the screening rooms, play in the game room, and watch whatever random bits they put on stage zero.
>>
>>8934873
You sound like you just like to complain. Not every guest can appear at every con. You may get somenoe good for one con, but thatd oesn't mean they can fly out again for another con in the same year. Guests DO have other priorities than conventions. Its not Fanime's fault if a guest they contact cannot attend.
>>
>>8935347
Like SDCC guests. A lot of them can't go to the NYCC also and yet people bitch about how they were just out at another convention and how its the convention's fault. Or they blame the guest.
>>
>>8935347
>>8935355
do you always split your thoughts into different posts?
>>
>>8935347
>> implying Fanime only had 2 months to prep for 2016 event

They had almost a year to prep for this con, they had every opportunity to search for viable guests. 2 months left of this con and all they got are fringe guests barely anyone give a crap about.

This isn't about guest's availability, it's about Fanime not doing their job diligently.
>>
>>8935376
>only announced guests are a cosplay group

wait, wasn't the music guest announced? someone posted about it earlier
>no mention on da-ice's twitter
>no mention on fanime twitter or facebook
FANIME STAFF IN THIS THREAD CONFIRMED

Guess I can't fault him for defending the fuck out of the con then.
>>
>>8935395
Havent they always done their announcements last minute though? If I remember, last year FLOW didn't even announce they were coming until about two weeks before the convention and that was over a month after Fanime announced them.
>>
>>8935441
Right now they have absolutely nothing announced less than two months before the convention and one of the groups supposedly announced hasn't been officially by any channel. The only persons who would know that they are signed are staff (and senior or guest staff at that), the people themself, and management of the people.

hell the only person who might have a clue who da-ice is is Wendell
>>
>>8935468
>>8935441
>Havent they always done their announcements last minute though?

Its nothing new for them and there is still over a month before prices go up for people who make a guest their whole reason to buy a ticket.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 768x576
So anybody have luck with the wait list situation? Segwaying from one salty topic to another, Wew.
I haven't seen any updates on the Facebook, website or twitter concerning the "housing crisis"
Maybe thy feel there just...isn't one.
*sigh*
>>
>>8936298
Nothing going on with the forums...

Surprised its still up
>>
>>8936298
Doubt people who got a hotel are going to cancel. They're basically unicorns now
>>
File: 731c95d200b233141222a47a86c.jpg (43 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
731c95d200b233141222a47a86c.jpg
43 KB, 600x480
>>8936511
I've heard that the cancellation deadline (30 days) will have at least a few wont be able to get the time off, pay for it, have friends cancel. So, i suppose around the end of april we'll know something.

I've been told if i were smart i'd keep this info under my hat, but i empathize with people in the same boat.
every one of my fanime con friends came up short this year, so it's a..hope. i guess.
>>
>>8933946
What the fuck is going on here?
>>
>>8936926
Imagine if pro wrestling didn't have anything but promos being cut and that would be CWF. For liability reasons they can't actually wrestle.

Also that was a really weak pop. I was expecting more substance from that guy's comment but these aren't professionals after all
>>
>>8937002
>Also that was a really weak pop. I was expecting more substance from that guy's comment but these aren't professionals after all

The CWF at Fanime was so loud that people were hearing chants in the streets outside the Fairmont hotel.
>>
>>8937148
Should have found a better example
>>
>>8924583
Real talk my favorite part of fanime is la victorias and psycho donuts.
>>
They just announced Da-Ice as a musical guest.

http://www.fanime.com/news/da-ice/

Can't say I'm excited for them because I don't really know them, but then again I haven't followed J-music in ages.
>>
>>8937255
No one does, they didn't even work on any anime opening
>>
FANIME STAFF IS DOING THERE BEST!!!!!!
i do not think you should all be sayign this thing about them. at least the convention is happening!!! and i think this year will be there best yet! i am excited for da ice to be there
>>
>>8937185
Something from 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVPuP6eyyg

Notice how the room size doubled
>>
>>8937617
Oh look it's Wendell

Noone knows who the fuck da ice is except wendell.
>>
>>8937617
*their
>>
>>8935042
The nonprofit and for profit status is by it IRS status. So let's look at anime conventions in California.

Nonprofit
-Hanadoki Con
-Anime Expo
-Anime Los Angeles
-TouhouCon

For Profit
-FanimeCon
-Sac Anime
-Anime California
-Pacific Media Expo
-Bak Anime
>>
>>8937732
Sakuracon, which was specifically asked about, is run by the Asia-Northwest Cultural Education Association and is a nonprofit event.
>>
Hey guys, how's the housing situation for Fanime? It's my first time going and I have a few options but how likely is it to find cheap rooms near the venue at this time?

I'm willing to spend more to be on venue grounds if possible. Having somewhere nearby to crash at 3 in the morning instead of a mile away is a godsend.
>>
>>8938517
At the block hotels not going to happen to cancelations and you can bet that people are going to snatch those up. You can find cheap places at motels and the like if you're willing to drive but doesn't sound like you want to. If you must be in connected hotels you can grab a non block room for much more than block pricing
>>
>>8926452

Book a room at the Arena Hotel, home. Who the hell would pay 1500 for a hotel.
>>
>>8940408
Well some people are plagued with a lot of money. Rare condition, not contagious, but some people. An whipe their aaa with that amount of money.
Unfortunately for me I don't possess this thig called "means"
>>
File: hatihito_CZE14oRUAAAY55F.jpg (37 KB, 587x503) Image search: [Google]
hatihito_CZE14oRUAAAY55F.jpg
37 KB, 587x503
The Marriott is open for regular rate rooms. 4 nights = about $2000 though....so yeah.
>>
>>8937002
>Also that was a really weak pop. I was expecting more substance from that guy's comment but these aren't professionals after all

The shit's called the cosplay wrestling federation. No professional would do that sort of stuff
>>
>>8937617
Literally no excuse for keeping us in the dark.

UPDATE THE FUCKING SITE LAD!

Every year its something, rolling blackouts, last minute news. I don't even know if half the events and panels I want to go to are happening.
>>
>>8942973
I dunno man. There's been some pretty weird gimmicks to the point that some anime chars wouldn't be too far from normal

>>8943922
It's okay we have TWO guests announced now
That's probably a fifth of the total guests right there
>>
Has anyone stayed in a one-bedded room at the Fairmont? About how big would you say the room was?
>>
>>8948403
Pretty fucking small. Cancel and get a room with friends at a closer hotel.
>>
>>8948481
what are you smoking, anon? i've had a 1 bed room the last 2 years and it was fucking ginormous both times. you might be thinking of the st. claire (now westin)? THOSE 1 bed queen rooms are small as fuck.
>>
>>8948592
You shut your whore mouth! Don't tell them this when we are trying to get the waiting list to move!
>>
>>8940408
>me

Still expecting con rooms to open up in the next month though
>>
>>8937647
An iconic moment in CWF history.
>>
>luck out and nab bed space in the fairmont
>we were looking at having to stay at the doubletree
>now we have a doubletree room to pawn off
>Fani Housing requires both parties involved in the reservation transfer to have a valid registration ID number and requests must be submitted to the housing department in writing

I feel like I'm queuing up to speak with a Vogon.
>>
>>8950216
but will the housing dept make you listen to their awful poetry?
>>
File: 1421880330823.jpg (44 KB, 251x231) Image search: [Google]
1421880330823.jpg
44 KB, 251x231
>>8950099
Nice dubs.
I hate hoping for cancellations, but that's where us wait-listers are i guess. best of luck,
>>8950216
Make sure the form is blue.
>>
>>8950216
Selling it?
>>
File: squee.gif (849 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
squee.gif
849 KB, 500x281
Got my registration done. Got a place to stay with my two other friends for free. Cosplays still need a tab bit of work, but no problem. I'm really excited. This will be my 9th year, but my two friends will have their very first convention experience ever! If there is one thing I love about Fanime it is how easy it is to show people how fun a convention can be. Its a great first convention-convention.
>>
Security is stepping up their game

>In the interest of further promoting safety for the FanimeCon community, access to the second floor of the convention center will require a FanimeCon Badge.

Thoughts? I don't mind at all
>>
Whoever was waitlisted for hotel rooms on the first day of hotel pre-reg, check your emails. My waitlist was moved along and confirmed.
>>
>>8951734
Doesn't that include stage zero? That makes no sense
>>
>>8951846
What Hotel/Room did you waitlist?
>>
>>8951920
Good. Im glad they are doing it. Thats something you should pay for since its not there for free. Stage Zero isnt full of volunteers. Its entertainment. You should have to pay for entertainment. And the media rooms. And arcade. Its no different from other cons requiring a badge to enjoy these.
>>
>>8951734
Anti ghosting initiative
There will be ways in. There's always ways in. In some ways that's entertainment in itself trying to find the holes

>>8952458
What the fuck are you even talking about? Gaming already has checking and I believe the screening hallway does too. One time we forgot to get one of our friends into the gaming room before midnight so his one day badge was no longer valid and we had to badge swap to get him in
>>
>>8952472
Im saying entertainment isnt free. Calm down.
>>
>>8952458
But Stage Zero was made with the intent of entertaining everybody and giving something to do for parents and other people who get dragged to these. It's literally the only thing that you can do with no badge the artist alley, game room, panels, masq, dealers are all very strict about badge entry.

It says they are going to rearrange things but I don't even know where they would put it if they would put it on the first floor. That alcovey area by where reg used to be a long time ago?
>>
>>8952866
>But Stage Zero was made with the intent of entertaining everybody and giving something to do for parents and other people who get dragged to these.

Well.. I mean. You can't even purchase a ticket for younger children without having a valid adult pass, so I don't see the problem. Otherwise I think it is safe to say that the parent leaving their kid at the badge check to go upstairs is fine anyway. That means it is secure and should give the parents confidence that their child will be fine.

Also for Stage Zero, I dont see why they wouldn't put it where the smaller gathering go down below in that waiting area. That seems like a good spot if it is that big of a deal. Or thats where parents could just chill in general.

I think the people who are making excuses are people who previously ghosted or who want free shit out of a convention. Im so glad they are doing this. Less street people being curious and less hassle for things like the DH and AA. Although I'd be fine if they still checked at the DH and AA and arcade though like they do at other conventions.
>>
>>8953210
>That means it is secure and should give the parents confidence that their child will be fine.
Yeah... that's not how parents think.
>>
>>8951734
At first the "Security" part of it seemed like a cop out cover for forcing people to buy badges, but if SZ really is moving then this isn't a bad idea. I talked about this with some friends and they say that normies have creeped on them in the con center before. I can't imagine hte kind of line staffing that they'll need though there's a ton of enterances to the second floor from the hotels and parking garage
>>
Wait list hasn't moved for me.
Fuck a duck.
>>
>>8953230
I assume the volunteer people for badges will be moved to help cover the entrances. Also, I don't think they will be low on volunteers in general.

As for the garage and hotel things, there will be posts according to a staffer I know. The elevators will have people posted at the exits or enterances, they aren't sure yet, and the glass doors always had only one door open at a time anyways, so thats no problem. Even if some people got in it shouldn't be as bad as it has been with people from the streets just walking int the convention.
>>
does anyone know how to do group reg? the only option i've seen is individual reg.
>>
>>8928401
Lad, you've got autism
>>
I WANT SWAPMEET INFO!!
>>
>>8955001
>still upset
give it a rest freak
>>
bump to save
>>
Wow, Fanime is bringing in Japanese VAs

Good show
>>
>>8961980
holy shit you're right. It's plural with a s.
No one I care about but at least they're Japanese
>>
>>8961980
This is why people should just kind of wait for more announcements. Fanime does this all the time, but people still freak out every year anyways.
>>
>>8964121
But they should've announced the guest list earlier. These deals should've been done months ago. Now the people that wants to see these voice actors have no room to reserve because they were waiting for announcements.
>>
>>8964132
This. Iirc fanime didn't even tell the artist alley people who got in and who didn't before they opened up reg for hotel rooms so there were quite a few who got in didn't get rooms and people who got rooms but ended up getting waitlisted.
>>
>>8964140
Uh no they actually did get artist alley people did get confirmed before hotels the only people who might be screwed are people who were on the waitlist. Also Fanime takes so long to put our their accepted list that I'm sure many people have to turn it down because they apply for several conventions that weekend.
>>
>>8964140
Partially correct.

They notified of AA acceptance before the hotels opened, but they didn't give artists priority hotel registration, so their hotel registration window was the same as normal attendees who registered for the con around the same time. The hotels were mostly sold out the day before the artists were able to book.
>>
I've been going to Fanime since '08, and I'm really bummed that I won't be making it this year because of the hotel situation. It's definitely been my favorite con since I started going, and for the last few years it's been the only one my out-of-state friends come to.

I'm not sure what to do to fill the hole. AX is local but I couldn't get a room for it either, so it'll just be a "drive down for the day" kind of con, and that's no fun.
>>
>>8967962

Just book at the Arena Hotel.
>>
>>8968083
I'm not sure I'm willing to be that far from the con. It's too far to walk in San Jose at night, and I don't want to drive back and forth because that means not drinking at room parties.
>>
>>8968090
Would you rather have to call a cab or get a ride on the nights you get sloshed, or not go at all?

I swear, you're the second person to complain about it being too expensive or just unable to go, but totally unwilling to make any sort of compromise to go.
>>
>>8968096
This. Fanime is becoming a popular convention like AX in California. Tons of people didn't get rooms, but they take the time to stay farther away or at least try to find someone on the Fanime forums to share a room with or floor space. Make compromises.
>>
>>8968090
Then don't fucking go to a room party. Seriously. I don't understand the appeal of rooms parties. Ive been to them. They suck. Drunk idiots everywhere. The games are cool and all, but I feel so bad for the hotel staff who has to clean up the host's rooms.
>>
take an uber/lyft
it'll be less than $10 a ride from the arena hotel to the SJCC
ridesharing is cheap as fuck nowadays
>>
>>8969136
Tip your driver or die.
>>
>>8969306
I took two lyfts last week. I tipped one then I realized wait, this niggah is probably making more than I do and didn't tip the other.
>>
File: 1454758522824.jpg (37 KB, 704x528) Image search: [Google]
1454758522824.jpg
37 KB, 704x528
>get tickets for anime matsuri
>hype, never cosplayed before
>suprise grad school admission
>move to san jose
>matsuri won't let me give pass to friend
>pissed
>find out about this con

looks like I'll be gettin' drunk and doin' weeb stuff after all senpai
>>
>>8969907
I took ubers all over Disneyland early March and never tipped. I didn't realize you could tip...
>>
>>8969956
you can't tip on uber, but you can tip on lyft
>>
File: download (2).jpg (4 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
4 KB, 259x194
>>8969907
Niggah is making less then you. He just dosent realize it yet.
>>8969956
>>8969959
I know you millenials have an issue with that thing called cash, thinking it gives you genital herpes and all. But it's okay, we got you. Uber drivers now can take tips with cards and "apple pay" aka nfc payments that Apple just slapped their logo on and every modern phone outside of apple could do for 5 years earlier.

Google Kalamazoo uber if you think I'm joking.
>>
>>8969956
The uber app doesn't offer a tip section like Lyft. The Uber training video emphasizes over and over that you should always refuse a physical tip because they want customers to have a completely cashless experience. I don't know how many people actually follow through with that though.
>>
>>8970244
Then I don't feel bad. Especially when my fares are always $6 or lower for when I actually use Uber.
>>
>>8968401
The way this con's been running this year, it has absolutely no business being this popular or close to AX popular.

If they screw up further, this might affect their 2017 campaign
>>
>>8970504
You will feel bad when you realize no is picking your ass up anymore.
>>
>>8970244
Only the dumbass new drivers that still bring water and candy in their car while driving for 25 cents a mile don't accept tips. The older drivers will 1 star your ass in a heartbeat and flag you to the rest of the veteran drivers.

If the car has no water in it, tip or die.
>>
>>8970670
Even the app says they don't want you tipping.
>>
>>8970676
I'd assume lyft/uber have safeguards in place so you can't just 1 star someone unilaterally. if a passenger gives them a 5 star then obviously the two reviews aren't meshing.
>>
>>8970781
Yeah there's so much more fucked up shit that happens to those drivers on a regular basis that's much worse than not getting a tip during 300% surge pricing time.
>>
Lol what's up with uber fag getting so riled up? Stfu with your tipping rules, Lyft is better anyway
>>
>>8970860
he's mad because all rideshare drivers are finding themselves working low wages because of the uber/lyft war. used to be a gravy train but the two companies have battered fares down while hiring tons of people in an effort to grab marketshare. I think lyft is winning right now, or at least their drivers are slightly happier. drivers are better off getting a "legit" job or using rideshare as a purely supplemental income nowadays
>>
>>8970676
>caught a 3 mile ride the other day, metropolitan city
>$10
damn, I wish that was 25 cents a mile
>>
>>8970972
>>Implying the entire 10 dollars goes to the driver

LOL stay ignorant. Stay ignorant.
>>
>>8970781
Nope. You can and will get slammed. There are no safeguards for the passengers regarding ratings just like how passengers can be dick heads to drivers and rate them low for no reason or just trying to be edgy as fuck randum.

The only difference is passengers might find themselves waiting longer or not get a ride period, drivers get fired at 4.6.

>>8970732
The funniest thing about this whole tip thing is people will chant how it's thier bodies when they want to break the law and endanger other people but the second uber, a corporation that shits on its employees, tells them not to tip, they suddenly grow halos.

Glad I'm not a driver in Cali though. I don't drive for East coast conventions either. Body paint fuckers tried to get in my car and I noped the fuck out of there and never drove when a con was in town again.
>>
File: totty_face.jpg (35 KB, 599x338) Image search: [Google]
totty_face.jpg
35 KB, 599x338
> There's a fucking uber/lyft driver in here who keeps derailing the Fanime threads to inform people about tipping
> it's the most action this thread has had in month

I'm gunna rant for a second just to possibly put us back on topic; I've been able to attend both AX and Fanime for a bunch of years and been able to get a relatively decent walking distance hotels under the block prices all those years; then suddenly end of 2015-2016 comes and no hotels in sight for both cons.
Just kind of pissed because they were the only cons I really go to anymore.
If anyone has any information, would appreciate it.
>>
>>8971049
With AX it's the location. LACC is just terrible for conventions that are not trade shows. No affordable hotels within rance, and they tore down Wilshire hotel last year, so that's one less hotel for AX.

With Fanime, they tried the 'you have to be registered to get hotel'. Sounds good in theory, except they were late on news, didn't put out crucial informations, and more or less kept the potential attendees in dark. It doesn't help the fact that people still tried to scalp hotel room on Craigslist after all this.

AX is about location, while Fanime is just laziness and screw-ups
>>
Has anyone at all gotten off the waitlist? Someone on the forums said they got a waitlist room fron the 12p block on the 25th but i was the same block and i don't have anything. Starting to worry cause we're creeping up to the drop deadline.
>>
>>8971306
I was in the 24th at 6a block and I got off my waitlist. Hope yours pops soon.
>>
>>8970988
The thing about tips is that people inherently don't want to give money away when they don't have to. People only begrudgingly tip at restaurants and bellboys and what not because they're expected to. A tip shouldn't be expected unless performance is out of the ordinary
>>
>>8971049
>>threads

I see one fanime thread you autistic faggot.
>>
>>8971525
Maybe he means how every time someone mentions ridesharing the militant uber driver appears
>>
>>8971559
I'm not so sure that is a singular driver.
>>
>>8971719
Unless "tip your driver or die" is a common saying amongst Uber drivers I'm going to assume it's the same guy
>>
>>8971750
It's a common joke among drivers because passengers have the audacity to ask their drivers if they are going to kill them. It happens fairly frequently.
>>
>>8971757
If they can't take a joke, maybe they should get a real job.
Preferably one that doesn't force them to interact with the outside world.
>>
>>8971757
So mentioning tipping them is just part of the joke? Thanks for the tip xD
>>
>>8970988
>>8970988
>whole tip thing is people will chant how it's thier bodies when they want to break the law and endanger other people
>>8970988
>second uber, a corporation that shits on its employees, tells them not to tip, they suddenly grow halos.

Wtf? You can't even compare those two things? What are you going on about, anon? Don't compare not wanting to tip someone to someone being a prostitute. And where is the endangering other people thing coming from? I know its 420, but holy shit.
>>
>>8971757
I have NEVER heard of that. Calm down, Uber-anon. No one will tip you. Cry more.
>>
>>8971306
did you do it through the Fanime hotline number or the hotel itself? Apparently if you asked the hotel to be put on a waitlist it means jack shit, and the only way you could have been waitlisted is if you had already made a reservation at one of the hotels but wanted to be wait listed for a different one.
>>
>>8971525
Hey even more autistic faggot I was talking about all the last Fanime threads that have been here since essentially the start of the year.
Lurk more.
>>8971559
Yes you got it.

Just a sidenote for Uber-chan, I tip all my drivers.
>>
>>8971864

Nah, I can definitely see that in dangerous areas.

Client: [nervous joke about being picked up by a stranger and killed]
Driver: "Nah, you'll need fine as long as you tip, lol" [This is a joke]

That happens often enough, and somebody can probably say "tip or die" to another driver and they'll get what they're saying.
>>
>>8971376
That's good.. was that recent? A while ago? If you remember haha

>>8971974
I did it via the CMR booking website, i have a room booked at the st.claire but i'm on waitlist for hilton/marriot. Hoping that counts?
>>
>got a room at the westin
>going alone, all year every year
>cry and getting drunk alone
>room server will probably find me naked and still alive in the morning on check out date

Feel wonder.

>got a room at the rodeway for AX
>alone and drunk and nake
>6 minutes walk to AX

Feel great. If you have a pretty boy pussy I can share.
>>
>>8972145
It was on the 7th.
>>
>>8972248
um, wat
>>
>>8972261
Free stay for boy pussy.
>>
>>8972264
Only if you dress up in thigh highs, skirt, and wig. Both of us need to be wearing it.
>>
>>8972277
Uh..yes?
>>
Is getting a badge for this con worth it?
>>
>>8972296
Depends on what you're doing. Just taking photos/cosplaying? Nope. Want to see guests, watch panels, the concert, or visit game room? Yes.

With that said fanime is generally underwhelming. The last few years have had very little "must see" stuff. I only go because my friends go and I imagine the same can be said for most attendees
>>
>>8937233
This. Fanime also benefits from a great location. I'm a Techshop member and it's amazing to have a location two blocks away for easy parking and repairs
>>
>>8972308
I pretty much only go to Fanime to cosplay but the fact that they're checking badges at the stairs this year is making me wonder if I should get one.
>>
Anyone from ALA going? I hear the people who through the DJ party will be at fanime again.
>>
>>8971864
I fail to see where I was ever so hyped that I need to calm down?
>>
>>8971786
It's all fun and games until some asstard falls in a drainage ditch and claims his uber driver robbed him, ruining the guys life and never apologizing when it was proven the passenger was just a drunktard.
>>
>>8972308
Cosplay and photos are good at Fanime though. I don't know what you are talking about? There are so many areas around San Jose in cluding the park, the tunnels, the parking structure, the downtown area with the lights in the trees. Fanime is in a fantastic area. Not to mention some of the ritzy hotels around with the spiral staircases and grand pianos in some of the lobbies that the hotels just let you take photos on or near. San Jose is very accommodating and accepting.

It isn't a guest centric con, anon. You go for the atmosphere and all the things other conventions don't offer for free like the concert, some of the guests [I personally don't care about the concert or guests]. The 24/7 arcade, 4 days worth of raving, 24/7 penels/movie rooms/stage zero.

For $65 you get far more out of this convention than you usually get at another convention that will charge you extra to see the masquerade, guests, concert and those are all usually 3 day conventions too. Its so worth it. This is my 9th year going.
>>
>>8972419
/cgl/ or facebook comments a few days after any con make me want to never go back to a con till I hear the next one is coming up.

>I went and got drunk and X Y Z happened, I didn't tell anyone during the con or immediately after it happened! HELP!
>I got my stuff robbed at hotel/uber/random con goer I won't give details about but it is 100% legit!!!
>why did the con smell so bad? Can't staff do something about this?
>Too many creeps! I also did not notify con staff about it during the con but what can I do now.
>>
>>8972344
You won't need a badge unless you're meeting people on the second floor in which case you just ask them to meet downstairs.

>>8972449
FANIME DEFENSE FORCE GO!

He wanted to know if getting a badge was worth it. You don't need a badge to use public spaces.

I've been going for 5 and I am not going to kid myself and say the last few years have been a great use of badge money. The only thing I went to that needed a badge last year was the concert. Oh, and the gong show, which sucked compared to the year before. Fanime masquerade is a piece of shit period and has been for years straight.
>>
>>8972473
Its not about defending. Im talking about the biggest abgn for your buck. The DH is great, the AA in the new room last year was awesome. Theyve expanded the convention center and since they have done that the lines for pickup have been way better and with the added space moving the DH and AA around has really been a huge plus. The gaming room has only gotten better as well with the addition to even more MMO trouneys and such.

You go for totally different reasons than I do, anon. Sorry you don't like that I think the convention is great for the price. 5 days for $65 and 24/7 programming? Thats way more than any other convention does. I go for the fun. I dont go for panels, guests, or the Gong Show [although maybe Ill check it out this year since Ive never bothered]. Every year I bring someone who has never been to a convention and I have a great time showing them around, letting them choose things to do which tends to be a lot of walking, not so much sitting in panels and waiting for hours in line for the shows and events in the auditorium across the street.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 730x765) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 730x765
My wait list popped, somehow at the Hilton.
Holy fuck in relieved.
>>
>>8972488
We've been posting against each other in this thread to the point that you should be able to easily tell which ones are mine as I can with yours.

The dealers hall is the same every year. AA's only improvement is that it now isn't in that weird tent they used that one time (nevermind the fact that it was never banished like that before). Gaming room is more or less the same every year. It's sad that reg ever got to the point it did in the first place. There were many years of horrible at-con registration on weekends and horrible pre-reg pickup on day 0 and day 1.

The "24/7" programming is not really worthwhile unless you for some reason do not enjoy doing things like sleeping or eating. There's junk programming after the evening panels let out and the next day begins. No, screening rooms do not count as being good programming. If you're not going for the things that are con exclusive it does pose the question of why even go? Yeah, it's awesome to someone who has never experienced it before but to people who have gone to many conventions they've seen much better (and for that person who has never gone they could have a fun time at any convention, not just Fanime). Fanime is saved by the mere fact it's on a weekend and has been around for a couple of decades. It isn't floating on its own power.
>>
>>8972539
>Fanime is saved by the mere fact it's on a weekend

As opposed to those Tuesday-Thursday cons?
>>
>>8972539
Nothing wrong with hanging out in the middle of the night with friends and actually having fun in the game room until dawn or having fun at the rave. Even the midnight game shows at Stage Zero are a blast. You personally might not like the things I see in the convention. End of discussion, but don't tell someone it just isn't worth it. For the cheap price of the ticket I would say check it out. Its long enough and cheap enough for someone to make their own choice.

If it were AX or SakuraCon or DragonCon, I could understand for the price and whats available not really enjoying the convention, but for everything Fanime offers for content, I think its a good value.
>>
>>8972470
I wish I was joking when I say it already happened.

http://buzz.blog.ajc.com/2015/12/29/metro-atlanta-uber-driver-marcus-lewis-is-innocent-apd-says/
>>
>>8972563
Whoa, did you just tell someone not to share their opinion on a convention just because they don't match your view? Fascist much?
>>
>>8972599
I think you keep missing the point, anon. Stop derailing.
>>
>>8972556
What kind of near sighted, inconsiderate asshole has a con on Tuesday-Thursday?
>>
>>8972556
Sorry, meant holiday weekend. A lot of its attendees benefit from having Saturday-Sunday-Monday off (minus the select few who don't have a federal holiday), plus Friday night if you count that.

>>8972563
It's more like "you don't get that much more with your badge than you do without the badge."
>>
File: aaaawaaaaaaah.jpg (8 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
aaaawaaaaaaah.jpg
8 KB, 224x225
Waitlist came through.

420 MAGIC
>>
>>8972539
The "junk programming" has good attendance and the hallways are lively with people. Just because you don't have a use for it doesn't mean others feel the same
>>
>>8972690
Thank you other anon. This is the point I am trying to get across. The con is popular because there are so many things to do within 5 days for a convention that is constantly open which means there is [due to the massive crowds] definitely something for everyone to do. With the amount of people, especially the older kids and adults at night, the evening programs, panels, and raves [not to mention room parties] keep the convention alive. The daytime stuff is awesome too, but the other anon saying there is junk programming is just saying how THEY see it, but yes. The rooms to get packed. Even on a Thursday night.
>>
>>8972690
by junk programming I mean 2am through roughly 10am. There's no panels, just screenings and whatever they happen to replay on stage zero. They purposefully do not put anything during those hours because they know no one is going to be there.
>>
File: magi rider.gif (2 MB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
magi rider.gif
2 MB, 350x263
For all the people bitching you're welcome not to attend. Fanime could use some elbow room and less hotel competition next year. You clearly don't care for the con.
>>
This is going to be my only con this year since I'm a poorfag/ live in the valley. I use to go to ACen when I lived in the midwest/ anime midwest wasn't a thing. What's the cosplays people have lined up? Is anyone hosting a /cgl/ meetup? I'm bringing my roommate, a coworker and his girlfriend and it's their first con. We're all just looking forward to hang out with other weeaboos.
>>
File: really1.gif (562 KB, 498x282) Image search: [Google]
really1.gif
562 KB, 498x282
>>8972711
There are panels. Game shows at Stage Zero. The arcade is open all night. The screenings usually turn into either fun old school stuff which is great for nostalgic adultd wondering the convention at night, or even the hentai and serious tones movies in the programming hall too. Not to mention the rave and countless mini parties people have in the lobbies.

Have you even been to this convention? You sound like you are talking out your ass.
>>
>>8972676
I see you remembered to leave cookies and milk for snoop dawg
>>
>>8972718
Finally, something on track, so I can help get this thread back to normal.My coworker and I will be doing Nana/Hachi from 'Nana' and I am also doing Merida from 'Brave' and maybe just run around in a kigu at some point. I don't want to do too many cosplays this year. I might be some character dressed up for the Black and White Ball.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.