[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1404422887674.png (475 KB, 588x579) Image search: [Google]
1404422887674.png
475 KB, 588x579
Any gulls who only wear lolita to meets? I want to get back into it but am too anxious to wear it out alone. I can't decide whether this hobby is worth the money if I only wear my dresses for, say, five times a year.
Thoughts?

>inb4 "just wear your stuff out when you're alone!!/just do it/overcome your anxiety and go for it/etc etc etc. Been there, done that. Didn't work.
>>
idk I wear lolita around the house (I live alone) just for funsies and take selfies and stuff for tumblr.. idk I have no friends
>>
I don't wear lolita daily, I wear it probably around 3-4 times a month, and I personally think it's worth it. But I just genuinely love the fashion and don't spend as much money on other hobbies. It all depends on you and your personal preference.
>>
lolita is pretty much a 50% fashion 50% collecting hobby lets be honest here
>>
It's really only up to you to decide if it's worth it. Do they make you happy? Keep them, just don't buy any more if you don't wear them.

Personally I wear lolita as much as I can, alone or to meets because I just love dressing in it so much. However I had a period in my life when I just couldn't wear it due to life getting in the way. I always kept them until the day I could wear them again. I'm glad I did.

Also, if you want to wear it, but not alone and not for a meet, why don't you just organize some casual hang outs with your lolita friends and you could just wear it together for going shopping or something.
>>
I just wear it to cons desu, tho if I had a friend that lived closer to me Id go out in it with her.
>>
IMO you don't feel comfortable wearing it more than a few times a year at meets/cons it's definitely not worth it to keep up an actual wardrobe. A couple of outfits, maybe. I'd say sell the rest and use the leftover money for a hobby you can enjoy on a more regular basis.
>>
Think I worded my post a bit badly: I don't own any lolita stuff right now, I've sold everything a couple years back. I'm considering asking my local comm if I can attend a meet in normie wear sometime, to decide if I still want to pursue this fashion. I've never been in a comm before so maybe my eyes to the wonders of being in a group with like-minded people will be opened? I don't know.

Thanks all for the advice, by the way.
>>
I'm in the same boat, OP. Meets and wearing lolita around the house are about the only time I wear it. I work in an elementary school and wearing lolita is just not an option for 5 days out of the week, and I mostly relax or do low key things on the weekends.
>>
I personally don't have the chance to wear lolita everyday (it really isn't practical for me) so I just 'save it' for special occasions, hanging out with friends or any other situation in which I have the opportunity to doll up just for the sake of it. I'm yet to go to a meet but hopefully I'll cast away the shyness sometime and use it as another chance to wear the fashion.
You don't have to go ahead and get yourself a full lolita wardrobe if you're unsure about returning to it but you can always invest on a few simpler/versatile pieces to make a few more toned down/casual pieces and wear them whenever you have the chance/feel like dolling up a little. I tend to do that when I don't have the "security" of a group of friends, since it won't garner as much attention and I won't have to worry about feeling anxious. It also helps test out your level of comfort and decide how do you want to build your wardrobe. You can have mostly simpler pieces to wear regularly and then one or two more special dresses to whip out on specific occasions.
>>
>>8914823
If greentext didn't work, then maybe it's not for you.
I'm not being mean, but there's no point in wearing something if you don't enjoy it fully.
>>
I'm a lone lolita surrounded by normies in a really rough area. I've had bottles of drink thrown at me and all sorts lol

I wear shitty replicas now when out and about and save my brand for cons and meets.
>>
If you wear it occasionally, think about a special occasion outfit you own. Is it worth it to own one nice dress to wear out to dinner twice a year and occasionally to people's weddings? If yes, then maybe it's worth owning some lolita too.
It's clearly worth having one lolita dress if you want to go out to meets but maybe a full wardrobe of dresses isn't really the right thing to do. If you have a job and a workplace with a relaxed dress code/no uniform, or live in a part of town where you don't get harassed for "not jeans and a t shirt" you can often wear loliable items so that way when you buy a few things to coordinate your 1-2 lolita main different ways, some of them can still be worn normally.
>>
>>8914823
depends, how many dresses you plan to get and if you'll keep going, unless you always want to be 'that girl in one of her 2 lolita dresses' every meet. I don't wear the same print dress to a meet more than maybe 2x per year at most so if I were going to 5 meets, in a year, I'd want 4 dresses, minimum, and all to go with them. that's just one way to see it though and some things like blouses and shoes and bags go with more than one coord. but if you repeat stuff too often people notice, and yeah, they comment.
>>
I only wear lolita when I'm going out with my bf, other than that only when I'm attending meets (and that's 1-2 times a year).

I wear otome daily and some of my more casual classic dresses in a normalfag way (without petti + simple cardigan and tights).

You have to find a way to make your dresses work and find a style you feel comfortable in. If you feel to anxious to go out alone dressed in lolita, you could just dress up in your house or you could start with casual dresses that can also be worn outside of lolita.
>>
I used to be a countryfag, and could _never_ dress up except for meets since all my friends lived far away(Yes, I would bring my dresses to visit.)

Nowadays I tend to wear Fairy kei stuff in the house, otome/natural kei shizzle when on errands and around town, and lolita when hanging out with buddies.

Lolita is really nice for hanging with buddies. Bringing friends means you won't be alone, so it may feel less like people are judging you, and you have support.
>>
>>8914856
Going to a lolita meet in normie clothes is really cringy though. At least wear otome. Actually, otome might be more up your alley anyway.
>>
Also, you can just wear loli in the house if you like. Go for cheap thrift lolita-ish blouses and get some washable skirts(bodyline is a good place to start), get some cheap kneesocks from whatever off-brand outlet you desire.

This way, your shit will survive the washing machine.
>>
>>8914823
Lolita is not my main fashion or my main hobby, but I do like it and I do like the girls in my comm. I only wear lolita at meetups. Since it's not THAT often that I wear it and it's not a big priority to my spending money, I don't have a big wardrobe and I don't spend a lot of money on lolita. Unless you have a particularly judgmental comm, the only problem is really whether or not you're content to have fewer and/or less expensive pieces than comm members who are REALLY invested in lolita as their main thing.
>>
>>8914823
I found it very vapid and empty quickly. Especially the part of the meet where you basically just go from one nice background to the next with no regard for any activity but taking pictures.

I'd rather tone it down now to a point where I can do actual activities in the clothing and not feel super overdressed.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.