[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steel armor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 640x960
First attempt at making steel armor. I would like to know what gauge the chest plate should be. I don't want it to be to thin, Anyone know a good size?
>>
>>8912819
Have you looked into gauge measurements at all? That should tell you everything you need to know.

16-18 gauge should be fine. Any thicker and I'd go with aluminum to save weight. Aluminum would also stay much cooler and is a lot easier to shape without special tools.
You really should use aluminum if you can afford it.
>>
>>8912819
authentic ones are usually around 2 mm, but for cosplay you are good with 0,75-1mm.
>>
>>8913751
absolutebullshit/10
wtf you will look like a fucking soda can
all those cosplayer with aluminum armor/chainmail look like shit
and it's a pain in the ass to work with aluminum

get 2mm steel plates and do it right

but it has to be soft metal for coldforging
dunno what excatly its called in english
>>
>>8914727
I think it's called coldpress in English
don't quote me on that though, it's been awhile since I worked with steel
>>
Anyone know what type of metal Guts from berserk wears?
>>
>>8914812
I'm pretty sure it's steel
>>
Hammering give armor more realistic look.
>>
File: Cosplay-Guts-SK.jpg (29 KB, 523x400) Image search: [Google]
Cosplay-Guts-SK.jpg
29 KB, 523x400
>>8912819
Is that your pic? Its not bad, but its obviously not anatomically sound. The articulations could be closer, the bracer should cannon. Work in 18 for costume. Anything else is a waste for your purpose and will be harder to work.

>>8913751
You couldn't be any more wrong about aluminum if you tried. It does not shape well, work hardens too quickly and is not safe to hot work if you have no experience

>>8914727
>>8914811
Cold working.

>>8914812
Everything up until the beserker armour is steel. The black beserker armour is magic made by dwarves.

Miura is really good about his weapons and armour research though, and almost everything (even the prosthetic arm!) is based on real world items and thus, much of the armour can be replicated.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.