[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
help thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 88
File: Favim.com-13038.jpg (129 KB, 500x485) Image search: [Google]
Favim.com-13038.jpg
129 KB, 500x485
old in sage >>8893850

unanswered questions:
>>8910417
>>8910253
>>8910062
>>8909987
>>8909836
>>8908364
>>8907810
>>8907119
>>
I faced a boob panel, and even with understitching and top stitching the edges curl up and won't lie flat. Will I just have to live with it and use double sided tape, or is there some other technique I can use to make it lie flat?
>>
File: CdYKEl9W8AAnboe.jpg large.jpg (40 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
CdYKEl9W8AAnboe.jpg large.jpg
40 KB, 640x480
a friend wants to cosplay Hotaru from Dagashi Kashi, but is kinda stuck with finding a shirt. she came up with the idea of finding a similar lolita shirt but the the problem is, she's got pretty big titters and isn't exactly tiny japanese girl size all over. so - looking for shirts that look like pic related, lolita or not, that come in custom sizes or larger Western sizes. I'll update with exact sizes later, but she's nowhere near hamplanet, not above 42 inch underbust iirc.

I realise how retarded my request sounds without exact sizes, sorry, I'll add sizes soon
>>
File: 1395616660514.gif (984 KB, 416x234) Image search: [Google]
1395616660514.gif
984 KB, 416x234
Anyone know of any good prop making youtube channels? Nothing specific. It's more for keeping something on in the background while I work on my stuff.

I watch Tested for Adam Savage's prop and costume videos so if there's something similar to that it would be cool.
>>
File: 4chan_awa.png (1 MB, 1722x1176) Image search: [Google]
4chan_awa.png
1 MB, 1722x1176
>>8910564
What kind of materials would the dress be made of?
How should it end?
That's about it
>>
>>8910617
refer to meguca
>>
>>8910620
Ah thanks
>>
>>8910620
>meguca
Oohh you!
>>
File: tumblr_nqn0ioJ0kN1us3tkfo2_500.jpg (27 KB, 421x451) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqn0ioJ0kN1us3tkfo2_500.jpg
27 KB, 421x451
I'm gather materials to start Laslow and a little stumped on how to make the stars on his chest and attach them to the tunic. I was thinking worbla but Im not sure how uniform they'll look. Any suggestions?
>>
File: donkeykong.jpg (30 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
donkeykong.jpg
30 KB, 600x450
Hello, me and a friend were thinking of doing something like picture related for a convention (if it's not going to be too cold or rainy).
I have never really done cosplay or anything like this before and have been to one convention.

My fitness is slightly above average, not as good as the guys in the picture (I'm going to be DK).
I don't have the time or dedication to make a suit and after searching most of the suits look bad so I feel that's out of the question.

I wanted to ask, are people going to make fun of me? Will it look like I am trying to show off my body?
I just really love Donkey Kong Country and want to do a costume for one of my favorite games with a good friend, but I am still quite self conscious also after starting to improve my body.

What paint should I use?

Is there anything else I should know if I am going to walk around shirtless in a convention?

Thank you.
>>
>>8910834
I'd make a clay model and resin cast them. You can add stacks/pins while making them to secure them through the fabric.
>>
>>8910965
I thought about resin but was worried they would be too heavy. I'll lookinto it though, thanks!
>>
File: image.png (195 KB, 408x251) Image search: [Google]
image.png
195 KB, 408x251
I need help with making Sayaka Miki's sword. I'm not sure what material to use. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
>>
File: neiro2.png (552 KB, 1920x3069) Image search: [Google]
neiro2.png
552 KB, 1920x3069
Does anyone have any idea on how to do her hood helmet cap thing? Or what to call it, it's like a hood but it's tight around her head. I wanted to make it out of stretch material.
>>
File: Avatar_Fates_F_portrait.png (280 KB, 398x470) Image search: [Google]
280 KB, 398x470
I need a lot of help...I haven't tried to wear a wig since growing my hair out. Right now, the bottom of my hair hits about my lower back and it's very, very thick. I bought Luthien from Arda Wigs for my f!Corrin cosplay, and when I try to put it on, it just looks makes my head look enormous. The headband barely even fits any more. I tried the pincurl method and pinned my regular hair up more or less evenly, but it still looks like it's sitting on top of my head as opposed to being a part of it. The wig keeps sliding back so you can see the wig cap, too. Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>8910589
Doesn't HMHM do custom orders?
>>
>>8910589
I'm assuming you mean 42 inch bust, not underbust. I couldn't find any links for you right now, but I've definitely seen that style before in a few taobao lolita shops, and most of them will do custom sizing for you.
>>
>>8911066
Resin's not too heavy for something like this. Just underline your fashion fabric with twill or something of similar weight.
>>
>>8911189
You might not be used to seeing your head with so much volume on it-- wigs can look a little weird if you're not used to it. You can also try cutting in some short layers around the face.

Otherwise, since it's a long wig, you can probably get away with pinning your hair more to the lower back of your head than all over. I often do a kind of reverse braid crown along the nape of my neck, a long wig hides any lumps pretty well. Make sure that you've pinned the wig securely, too-- you might want to get some wig clips/toupee clips to sew in along the hairline that will clip into your hair and keep it from sliding around.
>>
I'm working on a costume for a character with side swept bangs, but I have an extremely short forehead. What's the best way to keep them in place and out of my eyes without awkward pins? I used hairspray with a previous wig and it worked kind of okay but I'm hoping there's something better. The wig is cheap and I don't mind "ruining" it.
>>
File: il_340x270.403676109_flm8.jpg (27 KB, 340x270) Image search: [Google]
il_340x270.403676109_flm8.jpg
27 KB, 340x270
>>8911189
>Get hair wet
>Makes 2-4 braids
>Wrap braids over your head and pin down.
>Hair spray or gel any flyaway up
>Wig cap over all of it, a little hair spray around the rim helps it stick
>Pin on Wig cap
>Put on wig
>Pin it on in at the temples and nape of neck at the very least but with heavy wigs you might need more

Sewing a couple weft clips into the front of the wig under the bangs can help too. I pretty much always do it now for any wig thats longer than shoulder length or has tails or attachments that throw it off balance.

If the above doesn't reduced the hugeness you might need to remove some wefts or thin out the wig. Arda is notorious pretty thick
>>
>>8911209
>>8911217

Hey thanks! I'll definitely try those things. I was considering just being MU Corrin and using my own hair (strawberry blonde) but I'm putting so much work into the cosplay and I figured I have to be doing something wrong.
>>
File: Judy_Hopps_Zootopia.png (231 KB, 654x981) Image search: [Google]
Judy_Hopps_Zootopia.png
231 KB, 654x981
Small question, hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I want to do pic related in gijinka form and I'm trying to go realistic for the uniform but the arm braces/half-vest are puzzling me. Are there any good websites where I could find realistic looking pieces like that without buying actual bullet proof vests (since that's what I assume it is)?

I've never done a costume with this sort of aspect before and I'm hoping someone that does police/SWAT looking cosplays can help me out.
>>
How durable is e6000? Will it still hold after getting wet and/or hot?
>>
>>8911553
E6000 is pretty durable. I used it on my Stormtrooper armor and it still held its durability after I submerged some parts in boiling water for 20 seconds repeatedly. You can even peel it apart from whatever you glued even months after you glued it.

I'd let it fully cure for at least 72 hours before getting it wet or hot, though.

And do it outside with a respirator. The smell is bad.
>>
File: Shen_Render.png (191 KB, 410x800) Image search: [Google]
Shen_Render.png
191 KB, 410x800
What would work better as armor for this armor? EVA foam or Worbla?
>>
>>8911604
EVA foam, assuming similar levels of expertise in both.
>>
File: tanookitail.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
tanookitail.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
I'm trying to make a Mario-style Tanuki tail and I'm pretty sure that I'll have to sew something like a cylinder that tapers out at one end and rounds out at the other but, having little experience with costume-making, I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. Also I'm not entirely sure how I would go about making it wearable.

I tried looking for officially licensed ones to buy, but apparently they're rare and terribly expensive.
>>
>>8911071
I would go with eva foam/wood dowel and plasti dip plus paint and a seal but that's just me. Good luck
>>
>>8911638
I have some ideas for the tail, but are you okay with it drooping or do you want it to point up/out like in the Mario art? It should honestly be pretty simple even if you do opt to make it more structured.
>>
>>8911652
I'd be okay with it drooping since I'll actually be behind a table most of the time.
>>
>>8911602
>And do it outside with a respirator. The smell is bad.
Duly noted. How long for the smell to fade? I don't want to be walking around emitting toxic fumes when I'm wearing my cosplay this weekend.

>>8911604
EVA foam, definitely. No need to spend extra money on worbla for shapes that can easily be made with foam.

>>8911214
Use glue to style the bangs.

>>8911170
Try looking for swim cap patterns.

>>8910571
What does the keyhole look like and what fabric did you use? Maybe interfacing would help keep the edges crisp and prevent curling.
>>
>>8911711
>How long for the smell to fade?

I'd say a day or two
>>
>>8910735
I'm thinking of making the whole guitar out of cardboard. I think it would probably be better if it was fabric if I want it to have storage, but I think it would look weird. Obviously, cardboard isn't super flexible...
>>
>>8911711
A triangle out of spandex. I didn't even think about using interfacing because I've only ever used the fusible kind. I could underline that to the facing and that should give me some stability. Thanks anon, I'll try that.
>>
>>8910964
This looks horrible. Unless you're making a full suit (like a fursuit), don't do it.
>>
File: Shikada.Kokonotsu.full.1948147.jpg (132 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Shikada.Kokonotsu.full.1948147.jpg
132 KB, 640x480
I'm going to be cosplaying Kokonotsu, but I'm not sure what color his wig should be.

Just going off of arda, I was thinking maybe the Raven or the Mirkwood Green… https://www.flickr.com/photos/8443520@N05/8235314526/in/photolist-dxJ96u
Any suggestions of opinions?
>>
>>8911915
Raven, I think. Definitely. Green undertones could look really bad if it's not the look you want. I don't see anything greenish in that picture. Slightly blue grey tones, if anything.
>>
File: image.jpg (195 KB, 512x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
195 KB, 512x720
Can someone explain what kind of skirt this is? I want to give it a pancake tutu-like shape instead of a droopy shape but I'm not sure how to emulate that. Maybe a 1.5 circle skirt gathered down to a full or .75 circle and then add a wire hoop? If possible I'd like to avoid circle skirts because of yardage annoyances though.
>>
>>8911987
A gathered rectangle skirt? Would give you more of a cupcake shape like lolitas have.
>>
>>8911987
It looks almost like a Balanchine tutu, maybe look into those?
>>
File: trainerred.png (399 KB, 378x688) Image search: [Google]
trainerred.png
399 KB, 378x688
Hoping to get some opinions on my first cosplay; trying to do Red from Pokemon since I though it would be simple enough.

I found a nice jacket/hat/glove combo on etsy that looks pretty good, but I'm having troubles finding a good pack and shoes. Pic related is the best I could find, but I think the shoes are too red compared to some references. Probably going to try my hand at painting in more white; is that difficult to do? I see the steps for it in the sticky guide, just haven't done anything like that before.
>>
What kind of paint do I need/how do I go about painting on 100% polyester? I want to throw pic related together as a last-minute thing because I have the prop bits done but no time to finish her proper outfit before a con, plus I just like the look.

Finding a tracksuit in black with white stripes is easy and it'd be okay in a pinch, but I'd like to get one and then paint over the lines so they're purple as in the pic. I just have no idea how to deal with it being polyester.
>>
I want to cosplay as this version of Umaru but I dont know what her hat is called
>>
>>8912238
I think it's an Apple Cap or a Newsboy Cap
>>
File: superstar.jpg (32 KB, 598x336) Image search: [Google]
superstar.jpg
32 KB, 598x336
>>8912119
I'd try to find some Adidas (knockoffs even). They're the essential "white with colour stripe" shoe, so you're bound to find some with red stripes.

In all honesty, I wouldn't even notice the shoes are inaccurate; but that's just me. The rest looks alright to me!
>>
>>8911987
Do you mean that you want the skirt to be vertical like a tutu? In that case cut a few rectangles out (make it x2 larger than waist size) then bone the hem of the skirt. Depending on the size of the hoop and the length of the rectangles the skirt will become more or less pancake-y.

You should use this underneath the purple/blue layer
>>
>>8912238
Google mario hat tutorials
>>
I have an issue of color matching.

I need to spray paint eva foam for armor and have it be the same color as my pants.
Can you spray paint denim and have it look decent?
If not denim, is there another fabric that takes well to spray paint?

I can't have them being a different shade of gray. That would look wrong and bad. :(
>>
File: marabu.jpg (34 KB, 899x1348) Image search: [Google]
marabu.jpg
34 KB, 899x1348
>>8912309
Best I can think of is fabric spraypaint in a matching shade.
You can test your spray paint on a spare piece of denim, otherwise? I'd imagine it would get covered a bit, but the colour might be off since you're covering blue denim with grey.
>>
>>8912315
Thank you for replying anon.
You see, I would start with pants that were a bright cream or white so it would take the color well.
They would be slim jeans as well, so there isn't any flapping of the pant legs but there are many pinch points etc.
I'm just worried about paint flaking around the knee or something. I will look into fabric paint matching but it sounds tricky.
>>
>>8912309
Spraypaint won't work on ANY fabric to any kind of decency. It's just going to be horribly stiff and crack into a million pieces the moment it gets bent. Use fabric paint and mix for the right color, do test swatches on scrap material that matches what you'll be painting on. I've barely touched fabric paint myself but I had the best luck applying it with a sponge, not a brush.

>>8912315
I had no idea they made such a thing. Slim chance they can find EXACTLY the same color in two paints off the shelf if they're that worried about it matching, though.
>>
>>8912325
It figures. Thank you though, I needed to know this.
I guess I could always go the other way and use fabric spray paint on the eva foam.
I don't see why that wouldn't work with enough layers. (After all, it's black foam)
>>
>>8911199
entirely possible, I don't really do yank measurements myself. guess I'll go hunt in the TB thread, thanks

>>8911194
I'm not sure but I'll look into it, thanks!
>>
>>8912322
>>8912325
I've only seen it around like a week ago, but I'm a Eurofag. I had no idea either, but they had the one in the picture and some sort of "fashion spray" that just looked like neon coloured water and is probably even less what anon is looking for.
>>
>>8911954
Okay! Thank-you!!
>>
>>8912309
Does it have to be spray paint? Can you do lots of thin layers with a foam brush to avoid brushstrokes? Hardware stores that have a housepaint tinting machine (like Lowes or Home Depot) can scan the fabric of your paints and produce a 4oz sample of latex-acrylic paint to match. You can mix it with Mod Podge or other acrylic mediums to alter the flexibility or gloss.
>>
>>8912123
Have track pants that have been ruined with acrylic paint, can confirm acrylics will stick to 100% polyester. Prewash with dish soap to remove any sizing or coatings, then thin down purple acrylic paint until it's translucent enough to produce a pastel hue, paint it on, and put it in the dryer on high heat for 15-20 mins. It'll stick. I recommend getting a highly pigmented brand like Golden or Liquitex, so you'll get a lot of pigment even after it's been thinned down enough not to make your fabric stiff.
>>
Does paperclay get lighter when dry?
>>
>>8912309
>>8912330
Rather than spray paint the denim, why not mix dyes until you have a color match? What color are you trying to achieve?

You can also mix fabric paint then dilute it and "dye" the denim this way. You will want the base fabric color to be as close to your desired color as possible, and a lighter shade. Fabric paint binds to the fibers and are supposed to move with the fabric without cracking. I've only ever "dyed" small pieces of fabric this way so I can't speak for how effective it will be for a large piece like pants.

Or, yeah, you can try spray painting a test scrap of denim first before using it on the armor (be sure to seal the foam before spraying in case it melts it).

>>8911821
Carrying a prop and a bag isn't that cumbersome. Keep in mind that putting stuff in your prop means you are compromising the integrity of said prop - something inside might break the prop, maybe the close mechanism will fail and something important falls out without you noticing, etc. Cardboard can only support so much weight before bending. Unless you have the guitar strapped (another construction point to keep in mind is making sure the prop does not bend when strapped to your body or that the straps rip off from the weight) you will be holding the prop the entire time. Do you want to be holding a heavy prop in your arms all day?

What >>8910735 suggested is good advice: it'd be better IMO to sew more pockets into your jacket to store your stuff if you're adamant against carrying a bag. Otherwise, if you use cardboard to make the prop then the stuff you put inside will need to be light (no more than a phone+wallet, ideally) or make it out of a more durable material like wood. BTW don't use real chains, you can get plastic ones which will be much lighter.
>>
File: plans.jpg (2 MB, 5286x2520) Image search: [Google]
plans.jpg
2 MB, 5286x2520
>>8912752
I'm making a GITS S.A.C. tactical suit.
If you look in the screen shots here you can see that the armor of the suit is the same color of gray as the cloth parts..
Having them mis-match would look uncanny. I'm making the armor out of eva foam and fabric for the sleeves/pants.
Maybe I should just paint the EVA foam armor parts then match it with the closest fabric I can find.
I don't know though, I wanted to save time by cutting from a pair of pants to get the separated pants shown in the suit design.
The lighter gray under clothing that makes that turtle neck and inner pant color will be a zentai morph suit.
>>
File: merp.jpg (325 KB, 862x647) Image search: [Google]
merp.jpg
325 KB, 862x647
>>8911251
Some have just made a leather top thingy to replace the bullet proof vest.
>>
I want to start printing my designs on shirts to sell online and at cons
What is a good site to print shirts or what would be the best way to transfer my designs on shirts myself?
Thank you for any help!! This is my first time printing and selling shirts.
>>
>>8913091
There's an artist's alley thread that will be able to help you better.
>>8911096
>>
>>8913023
holy hell that shoop is uncanny
>>
>>8913100
I asked there and noone responded yet and it seems like my post has probably been skipped over
Also the resources link only has links for nick knacks and art prints, no resource link for shirt prints so the op doesn't help either sadly
Thank you though!
>>
Where can I get smooth EVA foam? There are so many options and the only kind I can find in-person is textured.
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 640x480
>>8911649
Thank you so much!
Also, does anyone know where I can get boots that resemble Sayaka's for a reasonable price? (Pic related) They don't have to be exact, I can handle the details. And also, does anyone have any ideas on how to make the soul gem on her stomach? (Pic also related) I want it to somehow stay in place. Thanks!
>>
>>8912752
I always intended to put a strap on the guitar? I guess I didn't make that clear. It's not like I'd keep a whole lot inside. Probably just a small makeup bag's worth, maybe.
>>
>>8911604
EVA foam. dont fall for the worbla hype just because "professionals" tend to use it for armors. Nothing against worbla though. I use it myself but only for fine detail stuff like if an armor piece has some intricate design on it.

otherwise if its big, bulky armor pieces like the shoulder, chest pieces, ect. I dont see why I should spend money on a jumbo size worbla sheet when I can achieve the same results using cheaper EVA foam.

the only main difference is that you have to prep up EVA foam a bit more to make it look like hard armor.
>>
So im planning on making some big weapon props and im gonna go with the expand foam method as its base.
whats the best way to coat it to get a smooth finish on it?
Is covering the foam with paper mache the only way? I never had luck getting paper mache to look super smooth.

does bondo work on foam? or do the chemicals in it melt the foam away? I'm aware bondo will make the prop heavier though/
>>
File: stockinglove.gif (253 KB, 500x252) Image search: [Google]
stockinglove.gif
253 KB, 500x252
>>8910564
Are there good tips for posing? How do I pose like a sexy widdle baby?
>>
>>8913254
Use spirit gum to stick it to yourself
>>
File: 0315162155.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0315162155.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
Rate ears for Scrödinger

Was fixing to make my own but shit it was only 99 cents
>>
>>8913626
Of course it's rotated..
>>
>>8913624
Keep your chin up and your booty out.
>>
>>8910615
Epic Fantasy is Storm the Castle's channel and it's pretty good.
>>
>>8912680
In weight? A bit, yes.
>>
File: ArdaRaven.png (251 KB, 502x450) Image search: [Google]
ArdaRaven.png
251 KB, 502x450
If I need a wig in a month would Arda's Virginia wig be the best for Raven from Teen Titans? I've never bought a lace front before so I'm not sure what price range is good. I don't mind spending nearly $70 but is it a good wig?
https://arda-wigs.com/shop/virginia-classic/
>>
>>8913605
Paper mache over the foam and then the bondo will be good.
>>
Does anyone here know of a place that makes custom flags. I want to have one created that I can walk around with my cosplay, but all the sites I searched for custom flags charge like $75 (the lowest) and much higher because the flags are pretty big.

Just a small flag that is like 2 by 3.5 feet would be fine.
>>
File: magicka.png (842 KB, 612x573) Image search: [Google]
magicka.png
842 KB, 612x573
I'm making a Magicka style robe for my boyfriend's birthday and as my first sewing project, but this part makes no sense to me. What does it mean when I fold my golden fabric on the diagonal and cut 8cm strips (Is that hotdog style or hamburger style, or actually diagonal?

Other than that, I don't understand the part where it says to tuck the golden fabric strip between the lining and the hood, making sure that the gold is facing outwards. Pic related is the only instruction they give.
>>
>>8914606
Having a picture of the robe would help people under better. They basically want you to make bias tape. You can go look up tutorials about how to use bias tape to understand what they're saying.

You'll basically make a little sandwich, with the layers going:
fashion fabric
bias tape (gold)
lining fabric

Then you'll fold the gold over onto the fashion fabric, fold the seam allowance onto the fashion fabric, pin it down, then sew.
>>
File: image.jpg (594 KB, 844x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
594 KB, 844x1024
What would be a good material for a devout cape? Also taking suggestions for the boots, was thinking about some matte stretch leather, but I'm afraid that will come off as a little porno-ish...
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 339x336) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 339x336
>>8913625

No, but really. Can anyone answer this?
>>
>>8914625
Okay, the bias tape helped me immensely. I knew I'd read about doing something similar. Thank you, I'll be sure to post if I run into any more complications I can't fix by googling.
>>
>>8913254
>>8914664
Seriously, use spirit gum, or make a skin color garment to sew the gem onto.
>>
>>8914664
>>8914672
Seconded on the spirit gum.
>>
>>8913884

You could design it in photoshop and get it printed from spoonflower (get the polyester faille). If it's color blocked, you could also commission someone to sew it for you for less than $75.
>>
>>8914650
Probably linen or a linen look would be nice
>>
Hello.

I have seen in different videos that barge cement is really good for adhering eva foam to itself.
Does anything else work well on eva foam as a cement?
I read that hot glue is also good but I don't know...
>>
>>8914664
your post makes it seem like you think spirit gum isnt a real product or that you are getting trolled.

spirit gum is generally used to stick things to your self. generally used for sticking latex prosthetics.

either that or youre saying "no" because you feel the gem might be too heavy for the spirit gum.
>>
>>8915067
If your issue is that you can't find Barge, look for contact glue or contact cement. It's (usually) a yellow glue with a strong as FUCK smell.

I wouldn't recommend hot glue as it tends to seep out from the seams, or leaves gaps in the seams or other such nonsense.
>>
>>8915103
Does the blue barge work or can I use one of the other colors?

There's like, four different kinds.
>>
>>8915129
i believe the blue one is just the yellow one without the toluene even though im pretty sure theres a yellow one without toluene as well. I heard the strength isnt as good for either of them though.

I know theres a rubber cement one. Dont get that. though i never tried that brand specifically, ive used other rubber cement with EVA and it just doesn't hold well at all.
i believe the others are about the same, they just effect drying times.

if anything, if you want to stick with barge, just get the yellow one. just make sure its the original formula though.
>>
>>8915152
It looks like the only one on Amazon is huge and costs $30. I might have to buy it.

It doesn't have to be barge though. I just don't want my armor falling apart two hours into a convention. :^(
>>
>>8915165
last time i bought barge, i had to pay like $50+ shipping.

for the past year or so, i switched over to using weldwood contact cement (the red one). mainly because i ran out of barge and weldwood is easier to come by. im pretty sure just about every hardware store sells it. I personally get mine at home depot.
Ive used it on my friends cosplay and it never fell apart on them.

you can buy the tiny bottles for like $4 or so and you can test out its durability yourself if you want.
>>
>>8915181
Okay!

Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try.
>>
Any cosplay suggestions for a tall, half black, half white guy of average build? I've always wanted to cosplay but because I don't really fit the appearance of any of the characters I want to cosplay, I feel as if they won't look right. I've got a few months to prepare as the con I'm going to with my friend is in May, but I'd like to start sooner rather than later to satisfy my own boderline autistic perfectionism. It will be the second time I will have gone to a con and the first time I will have gone in costume.
>>
File: IMG_1316.jpg (32 KB, 480x315) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1316.jpg
32 KB, 480x315
I posted a couple threads back and got no answer, so I'll try again. I'm planning to cosplay Plague Knight for an upcoming convention and I've been working on drafting his mask. I've been using craft foam to draft it and I was thinking of using craft foam for the finished product, but I'm not sure if there's a better material to use. I'm also considering leather, but I'm not sure if that would look right.

Sorry for the picture, I'm on mobile and that's the only one I have of him right now.
>>
File: tumblr_m2k8lwS2wS1ru165do1_500.jpg (55 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m2k8lwS2wS1ru165do1_500.jpg
55 KB, 500x750
so..........hi
would angewoman be too difficult for an absolute first timer?
i'd prefer to make something myself, but the only other costume i can think of is Michiko from Michiko and Hatchin, and i'm flat as a board.

i'm tall and slender but flatchested, but i'm a brown girl, so i haven't been sure what my options
>>
>>8915640
If you have to ask "is this too difficult" the answer is probably yes.
>>
>>8915661
fair enough!
i feel like itd be weird cosplaying a character who's skin tone doesn't match mine, i just wanna do something where i can look sexy but not be half naked
>>
>>8915677
Go for Michiko! She's a great cosplay for a first timer, and I fricking love Michiko to Hatchin. You can always fake cleavage.
>>
>>8915682
ok!
thats what i'll do then.
does /cgl/ have to go to guide for wigs and cleavage?
>>
>>8915333
A few characters from Michiko and hatchin. (Michiko is a little too dark for a mixed girl but you could pull it off) Seychelles from Hetalia is mixed, and super cute. Storm, the super Heroine. Older Clemintine from the walking dead. Kora or any water tribe girl from Avatar. Or any furry/Animal, They don't have skin colors so they could be black. I've struggled with this my whole life too, I'm 5"1 and mixed so most of my choices get limited to children... Best of luck though!
>>
>>8915623
craft foam should be fine. depends on your skills though.
leather doesnt sound bad either if you want that authentic plague doctor look but I dont know how green leather would look.
>>
>>8915779
>>8915333

He said he was a guy. That being said Avatar/Korra has a lot of darker-skinned men, too. I think Tenjou Tenge has a Brazilian dude? Scar from FMA. Setsuna from Gundam 00 is arabic but he definitely has a darker skin color. You might have good luck with fighting games if you're into gaming at all, I feel like those casts tend to be pretty multicultural.
>>
>>8915879
Okay, thanks! I was wondering about green leather as well, and my dad was telling me that even if I couldn't find green leather they'd probably have a green leather paint at an auto shop.
>>
>>8915333
You might get better help in the Cosplay Suggestions thread. Personally I'm in the camp where I think you should cosplay whoever you want regardless of whether you are a perfect match or not, but I understand not everyone shares my sentiment.

>>8915623
>>8916269
EVA foam (craft foam) is fine if you know how to use it. I'm looking at cosplay pics and I don't really like how fabric (re: leather) looks - the results look a little sloppy and the source seems like the mask is hardshell. What about paper mache? BTW, you can buy leather paint online. Angelus is a well-known brand.

>>8915731
pic is a popular cleavage guide. You basically wear 2+ bras. I had heard from a gogo dancer that racerback bras (where you hook the straps in the back to form an X) also help give a little more oomph.

Michiko's hair isn't anything fancy - just some face-framing layers and a bit of bang. Look up hair cutting techniques and snip a little at a time until you get the desired style.
>>
>>8912238
news boy or page boy cap are what will bring up guides or sales listings for you.

>>8913624
Goose neck, 3/4 angle looks most flattering on every one, also there are some good youtube videos if you look around for them.

>>8913710
Ardas lace fronts are pretty good, their biggest problem I find is tangling but that wont be a huge problem on a short wig.

>>8915640
Dont let your skin color deter you from a character. If you like the design cosplay them (but do keep skill level in mind, angewoman might be pretty hard for a first timer unless you take a lot of time and find some really good tutorials)
>>
>>8915067
Hot glue is bad news for stuff like armor. It'll be okay at first...but if you're out in the sun at all, it can get warm enough to partially re-melt and everything will literally fall apart at the seams. Friend of mine had some baller armor but it disintegrated at a summer con because he used hot glue.
>>
File: takeo apron.png (1 MB, 1266x766) Image search: [Google]
takeo apron.png
1 MB, 1266x766
Would anyone be wiling to write whatever his apron says in MS paint for me? I'll be forever grateful.
>>
>>8915640
>tall
>slender
>brown
>flatchested
You sound hella qt. Angewoman might be too much though, as much as I'd love to see more Angewoman cosplays/Digimon cosplay as a whole. But don't let your skin control who you cosplay! Do your favorites regardless! Maybe post in the suggestions thread too?
>>
Sup seagulls.

So I finally started putting together a Frodo Baggins costume from Peter Jackson's LOTR movies, since it's probably one of my favorite trilogies of all time.

The various pieces are coming in the mail (yes I bought it all, come at me) so I can't show pics yet but here is what I have on the way:

1. tan/khaki colored muslin shirt with poofy sleeves
2. Brown cotton vest w/ open-top pockets and black metal buttons (I might try to get one with brass buttons eventually, but this vest was cheap for a starting outfit)
3.Brown (elastic) suspenders with metal clasps
4. Capri-length brown breeches
5. green wool cape w/ hood, fixed with Elven leaf pendant
6. white linen knapsack under cape for various stuffs (wallet, keys, ornate wooden pipe, etc.)
7. Reproduction of the one ring on a beaded chain around neck

And until I get my hobbit-feet slippers, my naturally hairy feet will do.

Any tips on how to improve it/make it more movie accurate? And I can't seem to confirm if Frodo wore black or brown breeches.

Also links to costume(s) pieces are appreciated on Ebay or Etsy and such.

What about a plastic version of the Sting sword?
>>
>>8916491
do you mean exactly like the pic - as in, vectorized? Or are you just trying to figure out what the apron says?
兄貴喫茶
>aniki kissa
マッチョーズ
>machoozu (? unsure what this means)

>>8916571
>Any tips on how to improve it/make it more movie accurate?
It's such a general question, moreover we don't even know what the pieces you purchased look like so we can't exactly give tips on what looks inaccurate. Also, making pieces accurate will largely depend on your skill level and how much time and money you're willing to put in. Once your costume actually arrives, come back and ask more specific questions such as "how do I make the cape look more weathered?" or "what is a good glue for gluing hair to rubber feet?", etc.
>links to costume pieces and Sting on ebay and etsy
try searching those websites for the specific item(s) you need, e.g. "sting sword lotr".
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
56 KB, 1280x720
So I'm working on a Thumbelina cosplay. So far the skirts coming along fine because well its a gathered skirt, not so hard. Same for the little corset thing.

But I'm a bit stumped on what to do for the top, I mean a scoop neck top inst so hard but the sleeves are stumping me. Any one got any ideas? I've seen some cosplayers do just straight puffy sleeves but that doesnt feel right to me.
>>
How do you pronounce ITA? My friend insists it's "ee-tah" whereas I pronounce it "it-ah"
>>
>>8916694
Your friend is right.
>>
Cosplaying pic related, never purchased a wig for a cosplay before, where's a good place to find a good wig? I don't even know where to start looking and everything on amazon looks like garbage.
>>
>>8916744
image didn't attach.
>>
I'm 5'11 and 235 pounds, I've been working my ass off like crazy trying to lose weight but Fanime is in May. Should I give up on cosplaying if I'm overweight/obese? I don't want to be a laughingstock or knowingly do something regrettable for my first cosplay.
>>
>>8916799
you'll be fine as long as you don't imagine yourself 3 sizes smaller than you are. as long as your cosplay fits your measurements, nobody except housewife chan and some other fat haters will complain.
>>
>>8916803
Thanks, it means a lot.
>>
>>8916799
It doesn't matter what size you are. Make sure your cosplay fits, keep up on general appearance-maintenance stuff (hygiene, skincare, makeup if you're wearing it), and be confident. I know it sounds like some shitty Pinterest affirmation but confidence makes almost anything look good, or at least not embarrassing. I'm sure you'll look great.
>>
Does anyone know where I can find nice quality fans? I'm looking specifically for a black or white lace one that doesn't have shitty quality lace, but it'd be cool to look at others, too.
>>
File: rei reference.png (399 KB, 588x911) Image search: [Google]
rei reference.png
399 KB, 588x911
This is my first cosplay, and I've got two questions about it.

1. What would be the best material to make her dress out of?

2. How do I make a fake cast? I've found some tutorials online, but they all say to not go past the elbow, and don't tell how I could go past even if I wanted to.
>>
>>8916799
what do you plan on cosplaying as?

generally weight doesnt matter as long as your costume fits you.
>>
Hey guys,

Everyone says that you can't use spray paint on fabric but then if you check the krylon website faq it says you can and its great on denim etc.
What's the truth behind this?
>>
>>8916968
It works great if you never plan on wearing it again, sure. Any fabric you spraypaint is going to get hard and crusty, and the paint will crack to hell as soon as you bend it.
>>
>>8916891
I like to make my school uniforms out of a cotton twill blend personally. Has the right weight to it where regular cottons are pretty thin.

As for the cast not entirely sure, but could I recommend thick cloth wrappings instead of a full hard cast? Either way be careful not to damage your arm.

>>8916799
Don't let it get to you. As another anon who works hard to keep their weight down I feel you. The most important thing is to make sure your cosplay fits you well and is well constructed. A good fit goes a long way to flattering photos. Especially make sure its not to tight so when making your cosplay as mean as it sounds, don't be too optimistic. You can always take in later closer to con date.

If you want to get your most flattering figure for con, shape wear is your friend. Girdles are fantastic for putting things in a good hourglass shape that makes any one look better. I seriously wear shape wear under most of my costumes now. Besides, nice underthings gives a bit of a boost of confidence anyways. Just make sure you get good stuff, cheap things will bend and misshape quickly and end up a waste of money.
>>
>>8916891
>How do I make a fake cast?

you do know that casts are typically made with plaster and bandages, right?
personally, i wouldnt do a hard cast. shit would probably just be really uncomfortable to wear, plus, you might end up just hurting yourself.

why not just wrap your arm in medical bandages? just bulk it up so it looks like you're wearing a cast.

>I've found some tutorials online, but they all say to not go past the elbow, and don't tell how I could go past even if I wanted to.

i dont know what tutorial you are watching but im assuming they show you how to make a cast on your arm, right? so if you want it to go to your elbow, then just keep wrapping your arm until it covers your elbow?

I know you said its your first cosplay but it seems like you're thinking way too much of it and making a simple solution way more difficult than it should be.

>>8916968
well, krylon does make different kinds of spray paint. some work well on fabric, some dont.
>>
>>8916976
Do you happen to know if plasti dip works on fabric either?
>>
>>8916979
Oh, I love cotton-twill, that'll be perfect!

>>8916982
I probably am overthinking it, I've never broken anything before (or, surprisingly, been around anyone with broken limbs), so I wasn't entirely sure if hard material would be necessary. Medical bandages look like they would be a much better match in appearance.

Thank you both so very much for your help!
>>
>>8916989
Plasti Dip can work on fabric but it can't be something that bends a lot, IE, knees or shoulders. If it's baggy or just a small piece then you should be fine with no cracking or peeling.
>>
File: Sakura_art.png (264 KB, 586x623) Image search: [Google]
Sakura_art.png
264 KB, 586x623
What do you guys think the dark red center ? IT covers her butt and a larger portion so I don't want it heavy
>>
>>8917237
***think the dark red center should be made of?
>>
File: nina-cosplay.png (355 KB, 1035x468) Image search: [Google]
nina-cosplay.png
355 KB, 1035x468
Jumping on the Fates train.

I want to cosplay Nina/Eponine, but I haven't been able to find a single reference picture to use when figuring out what's going on with her dress/sleeves/turtleneck/whatever. I've drawn out what I think it might look like, but did anybody else have any other interpretations? I feel like my design is kind of ugly and would be difficult to construct.

Also sorry for the really shit drawing I did without a tablet.
>>
>>8916595
>machoozu
Not request anon but I think it is referring to the word MACHOS
>>
>>8917237
You can easily make that out of foam
>>
>>8917294
Dress as one piece, collar as another. The black would probably be easiest as just a skintight top of some kind (compression shirt? There's probably a better option than that out there) worn under the dress with a boob window cut in it and the fancy trim at the end of the sleeves added on. The white decorations above the boobs could be attached to the dress or the collar...personally I'd go with the dress though.

The exact construction of the dress isn't that important because it's covered, but what you've got seems logical enough.
>>
File: ookurikara1.png (1 MB, 355x833) Image search: [Google]
ookurikara1.png
1 MB, 355x833
would i sew the gold trimming on the jacket or hot glue it? or any another method that wouldn't show stitching
>>
>>8911907
Is it really that bad? I thought it would be lots of fun even of it doesn't look amazing.
>>
File: tumblr_n66sfu8hwX1s25teco2_1280.jpg (438 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n66sfu8hwX1s25teco2_1280.jpg
438 KB, 960x1280
>>8917500
You really gotta ham it up and be really goofy with this kind of approach otherwise it looks kinda of uncanny valley.
>>
File: yozakura wig.jpg (139 KB, 884x591) Image search: [Google]
yozakura wig.jpg
139 KB, 884x591
Which Wig? (From left to right)
Aether in Midnight Blue
Derek CLASSIC in Raven
Derek CLASSIC in Dark Blue
I'm also open to suggestions.
>>
File: steam1.jpg (177 KB, 768x632) Image search: [Google]
steam1.jpg
177 KB, 768x632
>>8917496
>would i sew the gold trimming on the jacket or hot glue it?

Neither.
This is what you use for trim you don't want stitching to show on.
>>
>>8917638
Well left looks like the easiest to trim right.
Middle is hard to tell if those bangs will sit right once trimmed.
Right looks like a good color but bad cut.

Think I'd buy left.
>>
File: BlackSister.png (326 KB, 530x784) Image search: [Google]
BlackSister.png
326 KB, 530x784
What difficulty level is a latex bodysuit? I can find lots of well described tutorials that make it sound easy but I'm not so sure. I have never worked with latex before.

Or in worst case scenario: what would a commission of pic related cost?
>>
>>8916439
Oh shit, I didn't even think of paper mache! I was wondering how to best get the solid look and paper mache would make it so much easier!
>>
>>8912238
The official one is up for preorder on Amiami.

>http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GOODS-00056857
>>
>>8917693
We have a latex thread for latex questions. Use the catalog.
>>
>>8916644
nvm found a pattern I could alter for it pretty easily.
>>
>>8917693
Latex is VERY hard to work with, if you want to do it still do a lot of research. From what I understand there arent really do overs when working with latex. In the latex thread though there is some discussion about commissions and other things that can probably point you in the right direction.
>>
>>8917642
Thank you anon
>>
Any tips for buying skin-colored tights? The ones with great "coverage" like dancers wear. I've tried normal "mom's clear pantyhose" but it's too sheer. I bike a lot so after shaving you can see many bruises and cuts and it makes it kinda hard to cosplay in short shorts or skirts.
>>
>>8917991
Get dance tights. Capezio, Danceskin, etc. Literally search dance tights.
>>
File: 1457733401798.png (645 KB, 568x602) Image search: [Google]
1457733401798.png
645 KB, 568x602
where can i find a qt femdom /cgl/ gf or owner guys
>>
File: 1454375666734.jpg (251 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1454375666734.jpg
251 KB, 1280x720
Alright, this is going to be autistic and you're all probably going to make me look like an autistic tool, but I want to start cosplaying. I've been to cons and I've always WANTED to cosplay (I have a friend who does), but I never actually went through with it for a multitude of reasons (laziness, something getting in the way etc).

The other big issue with why I don't ever do it is that, if I'm going to cosplay, I don't want some shitty half-assed "first attempt". That's humiliating and insulting to me, the character and the other people who took their time to make masterpieces. I want it to look fucking awesome.

The problem here is I want to cosplay Samurai Flamenco.

Is this humanly possible or should I just fuck off from this community forever, senpaitachi.
>>
>>8917311
Wouldnt foam look bulky, especially on midsection?
>>
>>8917998
I googled it, Capezio looks really good. Thanks.
>>
>>8918017
Can you sew? Do you have a friend who can help you sew? When are is the convention you're going to? What's your budget? Are you willing to commission someone to make your costume? What about props? What tools do you have available to you?

Its pretty hard to say whether or not you can make a good first cosplay without knowing your background, budget, time frame, etc.
>>
>>8917496
>>8917642
The trim falls into seamlines, so no, you don't fuse it on. You DO stitch it on in the form of piping or bias tape.
>>
>>8918041

My budget is low to mid tier. I am a sewing baby but my friend can do it well. Mid august if I'm correct. Commission no, because I'm not sure they can do it themselves. Props, I can find and/or get. Tools are the same.

If there's one thing I'm good at it's that when I get started on something I will always find a way to clutch it and hammer through it. So don't let props/tools/sewing cloud your judgement here.

Financially though I'm pretty low on the tier list.
>>
>>8918017
>if I'm going to cosplay, I don't want some shitty half-assed "first attempt". That's humiliating and insulting to me, the character and the other people who took their time to make masterpieces. I want it to look fucking awesome.
I don't recommend starting out the gate with unrealistically high expectations (unless you're going to pay $$$$ for a professional commission and basically be a model). Are you trying to peak before you've even began? What's awesome and amazing about a first cosplay is often the experience and fun you get out of a new hobby and with friend, rarely the quality of the cosplay.
>>
File: red_carpet.jpg (98 KB, 1001x1001) Image search: [Google]
red_carpet.jpg
98 KB, 1001x1001
Not sure if this is the right thread but here goes. Are there any j-fashions, or aspects of a j-fashion, that would be acceptable at "black tie" dress code event? What about cocktail parties?
>>
>>8918090
This. If you start out of the gate hoping to have some amazing perfect cosplay, you're going to be disappointed. Assuming your friend can even help you do it. Part of making cosplay is learning as you go along and improving with each one, just like with anything else.

You said you want to do Samurai Flamenco, but stuff like Sentai Helmets and Belts and whatnot can be REALLY expensive to make. I'd say either lower your expectations or choose something easier.

>That's humiliating and insulting to me, the character and the other people who took their time to make masterpieces
Seriously, don't be like this, especially if you're new to cosplay. It's not a fun way to be. Just try your best and don't get upset if it doesn't 100% look super good and perfect.
>>
>>8918120
Simple homme aristocrat coords could work, but I can't think of any feminine styles.
>>
>>8918017
>I don't want some shitty half-assed "first attempt"
Okay then this is what you do:
Make a cosplay. Put it away and never show anyone.
Make another cosplay. Put tat away and never show anyone.
Repeat until you are able to make a good one and debut that as your "first cosplay".

Seriously any crafting skill takes time to develop. You don't just jump in and be great. Like most things, you need to practice over and over to be good at it.
>>
>>8917496
Do not use >>8917642 for that sort of trim. Bias tape would work better, and you absolutely can sew that in place without any visible stitching, though it takes time.
>>
>>8918042
>>8918202
this helps. thank you
>>
>>8916491
>>8916595
I was just trying to get the kanji for it because my freehand for any type of language is very messy and didn't know how else to get it in text. Thanks anon!
>>
So tomorrow is the con and I just put a couple more layers of spray paint. But when I went out to look at the prop this morning there's raised crackles idk what to do. I'm freaking out about it. I tried sanding them off and repeating but it is back again? Should I just sand them off and paint it with acrylic? It's small enough. Or should I sand then seal then try to spray it again with the paint? Any help is appreciated. I'm really freaking out.
>>
>>8916494
>hella qt
i mean.....idk, i'm not ugly?
>>>/soc/23494288

is my face

I'v thought about trying Davis/Daisuke from Digimon as well, that'd be super easy, but i feel like alot of people wouldn't get it, lol
i'll post in the suggestions thread!!

Angewoman would be great, AX isn't until July, so maybe i'll look into it more and see if i can pull it off.
>>8916462
okay, thank you!
it's good to know i shouldn't worry about skin tone too much, i dont wanna trigger peoples autism and such.

>>8916439
okayy thank you for the cleavage tutorial!!
michiko's hair would be pretty easy, i could actually even straighten my own hair, although i dont know if i'd wanna go through that hassle.
>>
>>8918331
What is the prop made of? Generally, you need to put something like gesso+sanding on a prop in order to get a smooth surface to paint.
>>
>>8918365
Did that already. Air dry clay then some polyfiller then pod modge . It didn't do this the first or second layer. Maybe I didn't shake the can enough?? Can that happen? Or when the layers are too thick??
>>
>>8917524
What if I gel up my hair to have that big curly point DK has?
>>
File: faux leather pants.jpg (22 KB, 385x500) Image search: [Google]
faux leather pants.jpg
22 KB, 385x500
So I ordered some faux leather pants from Ebay for a FMA Greed cosplay I'm working on for Sakura Con on the 25th of March but the seller just messaged me and said the item was going to be delayed and will get here after the 25th.

This really puts me in a bad spot because I have the rest of the costume already here and made so I'm wondering if anybody knows where I could find some reasonably priced faux leather pants that look similar to the pair in the pic that have the option of 2 day priority shipping to the US or even 3 or 4 day at the latest. I found some simplicity brand ones on Amazon that have Prime but they only have the leather parts on the front and the back just looks like denim so they look kinda bad but I will get those as a last resort.

I have already looked at craigslist, amazon, ebay, h and m, american apparel, urban outfitters, forever 21 and plenty of thrift stores but no luck so far. So if anyone here can help I would greatly appreciate it as I'm getting desperate with the con so close. My waist size is 31 if that helps.
>>
File: crochet peignor thing.jpg (101 KB, 675x1200) Image search: [Google]
crochet peignor thing.jpg
101 KB, 675x1200
X-posted from mori thread:
I really love this thing I found at goodwill ages ago but I'm not sure how mori-able it is? I don't know if modding it in some way would improve it or if I should just send it back to the void from whence it came. I mostly wear dark mori and [cgl has no spoilers]strega but I want to be able to incorporate this somehow. Any thoughts?
>>
>>8918496
It looks like a lot of grandma's doilies crocheted together, might be tough to make it work.
>>
so, this is kind of a weird question, but -- is it possible to accurately cosplay a really obese character when you're... not really that fat at all? pic related is my son, and i'd love to cosplay him, but he weighs 200 pounds more than me and i don't want to get yelled at for ruining fat representation or something
>>
>>8918576
Padded body suit
>>
>>8918496
Take the sleeves off and wear it as a long sleeveless vest.
>>
>>8918576

>pic related, it's my son
>it's my son
>my son

You should have mentioned that you were an animated character breaking the fourth wall.
>>
>>8918023
foam doesn't only come in one size.
>>
File: kaga.png (614 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
kaga.png
614 KB, 640x960
How would I make this radar looking thing?
>>
Looks like it could just be thin wooden dowels and a sturdy base, all spraypainted nice and even. Just be careful with the glue, don't overdo it.
>>
File: RAVEN.png (3 MB, 2613x2057) Image search: [Google]
RAVEN.png
3 MB, 2613x2057
Half question half opinion, but what would you make of her shoulders? Is that just poorly rendered fabric or do you think I should do armor shoulder guards?
And if you're really in the mood for suggestions how should I start on that massively complicated sword sheath?
>>
File: tumblr_npaqb9XWma1s95j2so1_500.png (632 KB, 500x650) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npaqb9XWma1s95j2so1_500.png
632 KB, 500x650
I'm trying to find an appropriate fabric for her jacket. I honestly have no idea what to search for / what it could possible be called. Help!
>>
File: bhg2h.jpg (88 KB, 1152x824) Image search: [Google]
bhg2h.jpg
88 KB, 1152x824
I'm going to need some help. I want to be cosplaying something in the style of pic related; a Japanese Sohei warrior monk.

What would I need to pull this off? It seems like I'm missing something.

I'm not exactly sure what I all need to pull this off. I have trouble visualizing things, and I've ground to a bit of a halt in my search.

Pics for references:

http://jp.learnoutlive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/sohei2.jpg

http://lh5.google.com/dominic.etli/RwLlgp8kRBI/AAAAAAAAASI/vXEi5k1RpMI/s800/DSCN1124.JPG

http://pre01.deviantart.net/bea8/th/pre/f/2011/139/e/0/sohei_by_legiomihinomenest-d3gpimi.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/CADmonkey__________/Sohei/Sohei_01.jpg
>>
File: Daisy_3-1.png (59 KB, 330x127) Image search: [Google]
Daisy_3-1.png
59 KB, 330x127
Does anyone have a tutorial for making really puffy and round dress sleeves that have some kind of filling in them to make them really round?

I'm trying to find in Google but I'm just getting normal dress sleeve tutorials.
>>
http://daniellescostumingdiary.blogspot.com/2013/11/1830s-sleeve-supports-chemisette-and.html

I think you can do your standard super puffy sleeve and then use a sleeve support like they used to. Or jut sew the sleeve support in.
>>
>>8918955
They look like samurai armor pauldrons to me. You can either go the worbla route or you can try it with craft foam and paint. To make craft foam a little sturdier and stronger, use a watered down glue as a base to fill in air pockets. Gives it a kind of smoother surface to paint on.

Looking at her sheath, it almost looks like you could at least make a base from a poster holder and build up around it but idk. I was wanting to do her costume but never got around to picking it apart.

Good luck.
>>
>>8918946
wooden dowels (pick up in varying sizes at a crafting store) clay, glue, and paint.

>>8919160
As bas as using upholstery fabric for costumes can be, that honestly looks like something you might find a decent match for in home decor section of your fabric store.

>>8919257
I was having a harder time googling around for it but you should try to see if you can find any tutorials or 'making of' for Sailor Moon Stars cosplays, since the sleeves in there are pretty similar in style. Otherwise padding is an option but I'm not sure how you'd put it in.
>>
FUCK

I spray painted a helmet (primer, spray paint, sealer) and was using painter's tape to mark off a pattern I was going to paint on top. When I removed the painter's tape, a chunk of paint (leaving the original helmet exposed) ripped right off.

How do I fix this shit area? I tried re-painting just that area but the edges around it warp and it looks like garbage. I tried using a razor blade to cut away the gross edges and have a smooth patch to repaint, but the same thing happens anyway. How do I fix this area so that it isn't painfully obvious there was a big chunk missing? Do I have to strip the paint off this entire fucking thing and redo it all?
>>
File: 387498984.jpg (88 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
387498984.jpg
88 KB, 600x450
>>8917963

You're welcomed. I've used it on bias trim 5 or 6 times now and it holds like a dream. I've used it on collars, skirts, and sleeves

I've been sewing for 17 years so I know my shit on this one. If you decide later you want to sew the trim down you can. Most of the time I sew it down after using the fusible web to hold it down. But I have two projects that sewing it wasn't an option and it holds just as well as if I sewed it.
>>
Does anyone have any experience ironing/otherwise getting wrinkles out of pleather?
>>
File: V3e5_flynt_weapon_concept_art.png (2 MB, 2080x1301) Image search: [Google]
V3e5_flynt_weapon_concept_art.png
2 MB, 2080x1301
Anyone know the best way to make a flexible stencil or just the best way in general to paint this design on a trumpet? I tried to just free hand it and that did not end well.
>>
>>8919635

I use leftover polystyrene plastic sheeting for making stencils because it's really sturdy/flexible.
>>
File: big-ema1.jpg (70 KB, 245x640) Image search: [Google]
big-ema1.jpg
70 KB, 245x640
I'm cosplaying Ema Skye from PW:AA. Would you guys interpret her footwear as red (possibly rain) boots? Or red loafers/mary janes with red socks?
>>
File: gs3-lilema.png (141 KB, 187x501) Image search: [Google]
gs3-lilema.png
141 KB, 187x501
>>8919785
It looks like it could go either way, but I would save myself the headache and go with loafers+socks.
>>
File: greed reference.jpg (99 KB, 480x350) Image search: [Google]
greed reference.jpg
99 KB, 480x350
>>8918447
Anyone? I still haven't had any luck with this
>>
>>8920004
well... you could try bondage shops.
>>
>>8920004
Worst case scenario, hot topic faux leather leggings.??
>>
>>8920004

Fellow Sakuracon-er here, good luck. You may think I'm crazy, but I recommend these:

http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Girls-Leather-Waisted-Leggings/dp/B00NAYAPGW/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

I fucking love using these when I need go-to leather pants on a dime and in a hurry. They actually work really well as a sub for leather pants as long as the intent is for tight leather pants and not super loose ones.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2 MB, 747x1091) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2 MB, 747x1091
First time wearing a legit cosplay wig, so first time with a wig cap.

I have a huge head. Elastic headbands usually don't stay, they always slip upwards. This happened with the wig cap too.

I pinned my bangs down under the cap, and then used 4 set of X s of pins, two in the front and two on the sides by my ears.

This was only after 10min of wear. How do I prevent this slipping from happening?
>>
>>8920464
Place the pins closer to the cap edge in the front?
>>
File: 001.jpg (181 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
181 KB, 1600x1200
>>8920464
Also braid hair under the cap to give those pins something to hold on to. Thin hair will not hold bobby pins. The braid will give it something to hang on to.

Some people do cornrows, some do a flat crown braid, some do a french braid.
>>
>>8920464
wtf
>>
>>8920488
In the pic I did two french braids, but they weren't very strong because my hair is shoulder length. Guess I'll just have to do four instead.
>btw, cornrows are basically small rows of french braids.
>>
>>8920464
You have no hair for the pins to grip onto, and perhaps your hair is greasy/oily as well, which doesn't help. >>8920488 would work
>>
>>8920464
This reminds me of an issue I'm having. My hair is less than an inch long, how do I get a wig cap to stay? I can't even put hair clips in, it's so short.
>>
File: killlakill.gif (3 MB, 475x267) Image search: [Google]
killlakill.gif
3 MB, 475x267
Can anyone recommend the best sewing machine? I'm using my late grandma's machine and it's a dinosaur.

Also, what are some sew-able crafts that people would like in artist's alley? I can think of throw pillows, pillowcases, plushies... That's about it.
>>
File: 58665_0198.jpg (37 KB, 475x475) Image search: [Google]
58665_0198.jpg
37 KB, 475x475
>>8920614

Perhaps some fashion tape around the hairline.

Us girls use it on our boobs so it's gentle enough.

Tape the wig cap to your forehead and pin the wig to the cap.
>>
>>8920639
>oh baby
>sexy and secure
>lady princess
overkill much
>>
File: sulley.png (2 MB, 1529x1139) Image search: [Google]
sulley.png
2 MB, 1529x1139
>>8910564
i'm cosplaying a gijinka of sulley from monsters university and was wondering a permanent method for making polkadots on a blue wig? is there hair colour spray that stays in and doesn't rub off or leak from a wig? i don't want to attach fabric polkadots onto the wig because that seems cheap and lazy. i'd like to dye it somehow.
>>
>>8920690
Sharpie wig dye method, but use a spray bottle. only spray in the spots.
there are a million tutorials for this
one by arda wigs too i think
>>
I've been making a big witch hat and against the advice of you guys, I tried to do it with craft foam since it was really cheap. It collapses like you guys said. So now I'm thinking about using interfacing like you guys suggested, but at my local Joann's there's no interfacing that is as wide as my hat. Does interfacing still hold strong if you sew more than one piece together?
>>
>>8919894
Thanks!
>>
>>8917638
I like left for the color but I don't care for how shiny Epic Cosplay's wigs are. I'm guessing you've looked at the Flickr for each of the Arda colors? I would also think about what color would look best with your skin color.
>>
>>8920719
thanks muchly!
>>
File: 1392496152217.jpg (64 KB, 396x626) Image search: [Google]
1392496152217.jpg
64 KB, 396x626
For the pants, would joggers work or is there another type of pants I should search for?
>>
>>8920639
Thanks. I'll try this along with the extra french braids.
>>
>>8921403
Also, the red cape, how should go about that?
>>
>>8921188
Yeah, and you don't even need to sew it together, just overlap it a bit.
>>
File: dragon.age_.004.jpg (223 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
dragon.age_.004.jpg
223 KB, 1024x640
I'm considering doing a crossplay of Zevran from Dragon age, who has slightly bronze/tan skin. Problem is I'm fairly pale and it's impossible for me to tan; I just burn. I've never used fake/spray on stuff before and I'm not sure if that would look good at all.

Is the skin tone an issue or will I be fine just keeping it the way I am?
>>
File: dress.jpg (18 KB, 564x658) Image search: [Google]
dress.jpg
18 KB, 564x658
>>8921476
I think you'll be fine with the skin color that you already are, but if you're going to spray tan do it at a salon because that'll probably produce the best results especially since you haven't ever done it before!

Does anyone know where I can find the most basic of patterns for sewing a knee-length long sleeved dress? It seems so basic and easy to find but every pattern I'm finding has some weird design with a lot of pieces or it's a wrap dress or something like that. I just want basic and boring and something I can use to modify for my future dress cosplays :(
>>
>>8921632
I've never tried it myself, but maybe you could try taking apart a long sleeved shirt and draw up a pattern from the pieces, lengthening the bottom(maybe flaring it out a little to fit over the hips) to make it knee height?
>>
>>8917468
Wow, that's really clever! What kind of patterns/fabic do you think I should use when making the collar?
>>
File: may-acc.jpg (1 MB, 1767x2500) Image search: [Google]
may-acc.jpg
1 MB, 1767x2500
Any reccs on a good pattern to use for her?
>>
>>8920629
>best
Depends on your skill level, types of projects you work on, and your budget. A relatively inexpensive beginner to intermediate to travel machine would be Brother CS6000i.

>sew-able crafts
Pillowcases, dice bags, purses, throw blankets, burp clothes, baby blankets, tote bag, plush toys (this can run a very a wide gamut), scarves, fleece hats, etc. etc. Key is to have a design or idea that can break away from the rest of the pack and hit the most popular series at the right time.
>>
File: DSC_7570[1].jpg (87 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7570[1].jpg
87 KB, 600x399
Is there a way to finish a raw spandex edge to stop it from curling? I have a free-hanging spandex piece (kind of like a cape) and the edges are curling in a pretty unsightly way. Should I just hem them?
>>
>>8921937
Serge the end with a matching thread. If you don't like the thread showing, then hem it up with an invisible hem method.
>>
File: Collar.jpg (128 KB, 610x781) Image search: [Google]
Collar.jpg
128 KB, 610x781
>>8921659
For fabric, whatever you feel is appropriate with some interfacing to stiffen it. You don't want it to be SUPER rigid, but it should probably have some body to it...don't want it to be all wrinkled/bunched up, etc. I'm not much of a fabric guru, sorry.

For the pattern, you should probably start by making a mockup of it. You want to make sort of concave shape that 'cups down' over your shoulders/chest/back. The overall shape is basically an oval (with the notch in the front cut out, obvs) but you can't just cut out an oval or it's gonna stick straight out and look ridiculous, or drape really terribly. You basically want to use a bunch of panels and fudge them until it sits in a way you're happy with, then partially disassemble it and use that to make a pattern that will get you the same shape with a single piece of fabric, so that you only have one seam. See crappy illustration if any of that doesn't make sense.

There's a vertical section where it meets your neck, you can make that separately as basically just a strip of fabric and sew it to the rest. Trying to add it to the pattern for the oval would be a colossal pain.

If the fabric doesn't lay flat after you disassemble the mockup, just start adding seams until it cooperates. You can basically put whatever seams you need wherever you want them, so you might want to actually start that first seam in the back to hide it. I just put it at the front for convenience in drawing it.
>>
I don't think my question got a response last thread.
How does someone paint polyurethane foam, for the purposes of making spikes and other armor decorations?
I heard coating it in PVA glue, followed by acrylics could work but how long would it take to dry, how many coats would it need? And how durable is literal dried Elmer's glue anyway? I'm also worried about how squishy it would be.
>>
>>8922189
what type of polyurethane foam are you talking about? because theres different kinds.
im assuming the really dense one?
>>
File: 1458367075150.jpg (305 KB, 1104x720) Image search: [Google]
1458367075150.jpg
305 KB, 1104x720
I posted this in the idol thread but it died.

I'm working on white day angel Nozomi and I'm trying to decide on the lace.

The heart lace I only have about 1- 1 1/2 yards. It was the last the store had.The flower eyelet lace is the most accurate, but I was wondering if I should go with the sheer one instead because it would be more visually interesting?

I've got a couple different ideas. Like using the heart lace on just the small hip piece with the flowers(since I have just enough for that). Then using the flower lace for the bodice and armbands. Another option was maybe doing one layer eyelet lace and the second layer being the sheer lace.

Another option I was thinking was maybe running the sheer behind the scalloped part on the skirt. It would look nice, but not as odd as some of the taobao ones where they have white lace on the skirt.

I also asked a friend how she did the skirt for Kotori and she said she left it plain with no scallops.
>>
>>8922273
I'd personally go for more visually interesting. Unless it's another person looking at you who cosplayed white day nozomi I don't think anyone will notice your lace isn't 100% accurate or even care for that matter.
>>
>>8921632
I've tried picking clothes apart before like >>8921640 suggested and it works. If you're ready to modify the basic dress design for future cosplays you should be able to modify a shirt into a dress. Buy a really basic one that fits you and cut away all seams. Industrial seams are a pain to remove, and you can make up for the lost fabric when converting the fabric into a pattern. A skirt that simple should be easy to wing, or maybe you want to buy a basic dress from the start?

I usually save my modified and/or created patterns by making them out of newspaper. The pages are pretty large already, but I usually have to tape them together to hold the pattern. This is a very cheap method which gives you a durable pattern that you can copy over and over again. However, the print of the paper can stain your fabric. Therefore you might want to consider muslin paper as well.
>>
>>8922303
Another option is to draw the patterns onto clear vinyl. Like the kind used to cover table clothes. You can usually find it at swap meets, cheaper places that sell party supplies, or Walmart sells it too.

It's actually a good size, durable, and easy to draw on with even a basic pen. I started using it when I need to copy a pattern. A friend will loan me a pattern, and I trace it onto the vinyl so I can quickly return their pattern.
>>
>>8921937
Double needle and if you want to get really fancy ball point double needle with a walking foot.

But the walking foot is not needed if you just remember not to stretch your fabric as you sew it.
>>
>>8922273
>>8922285

>visually interesting

I second this notion. The sheer will add a little more romance to the look.
>>
>>8922265

It's the soft one that's typically used in making mascot costumes.
Are there more rigid grades of it? I'm not all too familiar with all the terminology.
>>
File: drachemakingof8[1].jpg (250 KB, 696x362) Image search: [Google]
drachemakingof8[1].jpg
250 KB, 696x362
>>8922769
>Are there more rigid grades of it?
yes there is. I thought you were talking about the expanded foam spray kind since you mentioned about using the foam to make spikes and decoration.
that stuff, when it cures, is pretty solid but of course it being foam. you will get air pockets creating little gaps in the foam (see right side of picture) but that can easily be filled.

any reason why youre using the type of foam thats typically used for mascots for detail work? in my opinion it seems like a bad choice since that foam is incredibly flexible so if you somehow do find a way to properly paint it, most likely it will crack. which is why when people use that foam for mascot use, they stretch fabric over it.
>>
File: felicia.png (363 KB, 689x937) Image search: [Google]
felicia.png
363 KB, 689x937
Hey! I had a quick question, I have my Felicia cosplay all patterned out but... Wig... I've been looking around, and I'm really interested in Arda's Jeannie wig in lightning pink, since it seems to be a good mix of blonde and pink but... It's not available in lightning pink. Do they usually take requests like that if you email them? If you can, what experiences have people had with that, like does it take much much longer or only an additional week or two?
>>
>>8922923
Like its just not in stock right now or they dont make it in that color? If its just outa stock they re stock pretty regularly. Otherwise I think they do take requests into consideration but it wont be available on mass for a while if thats the case. Be careful with that Jeannie btw, great wig, cap tends to run a bit big though.
>>
>>8922961
Yeah I plan on getting a small! I have a small head, but big hair so most standard caps are usually too big or just right. Thank you for that bit of information!
I checked their restock list, but it's not listed, nor is it any option on the wig itself. Also thank you! I'll probably email them when I'm done with classes for the day. Once again thank you for getting back to me!
>>
>>8922965
Yeah emailing them is your best bet but do look into other color matchs though.
>>
>>8922967
I looked at the other ones, but they all seem either too blonde or too pink. I was considering getting a blonde wig and dying it but... I've never dyed a wig before and it makes me nervous, haha. Not to mention that I've heard that pinks and reds can run, and parts of the costume are white! Worst case scenario that's probably what I'll do though, and then wash it 30 times and pray that it doesn't run.
>>
does anyone have advice on how to become more photogenic? i look fine in selfies, when i have the chance to kind of figure out my face a bit, but then the second i go to a con all my hall shots come out with my face being super ugly. should i practice in a mirror more? or with a friend, or something? i'm getting desperate
>>
>>8923036
Try taking photos of yourself with a camera that's set up away from you on a table or tripod. Experiment with posing and facial expressions and see what works. I find that practicing in front of a mirror doesn't help as much because one tends to adjust subconsciously to what you see and you won't get that instant feedback in real life.
>>
>>8923036
Practice more. Practice in front of a mirror, practice in front of a friend, have them take pictures. I like to find poses and expressions from the source material and copy those. You won't get them exactly right, but the more you practice, the more comfortable you'll be at the convention. Also remember that not every character smiles. Practice smirks, frowns, come-hither glances, etc.

Also remember to use oil blotting sheets throughout the day and to run a comb through your hair/wig every so often. It helps tremendously.
>>
>>8922923
Her hair looks peach to me
>>
File: reffs.png (832 KB, 1575x652) Image search: [Google]
reffs.png
832 KB, 1575x652
I think this counts, but it's more of a 2nd opinion.

Is it really a bad thing to take liberties with some designs? Due to my inability to sew, I tend to stick to cosplays I can buy piece by piece. But I still want to be as accurate as possible. In this case, I was considering going with the following since, for some reason, I can't find a replica of Alex's dress despite the simplicity and Parasoul's sweater has only a light color change for the arms. My friend is doing her basic color, and didn't want to match with me, hence the alt.
>>
>>8922826

Inexperience, mostly.

What specific type of foam would you recommend, then? And how would you decorate it?
>>
>>8923179
It is, it's a peachy pink. I'm not sure what you were going for with that comment? If you look at the lightning pink blend, it's almost exactly the colour of the illustration.
>>
File: 1398382217732-1.jpg (94 KB, 343x700) Image search: [Google]
1398382217732-1.jpg
94 KB, 343x700
>>8911170
This tutorial (pic related) might help you! I fukkin LOVED kaiba ;w;

>>8920464
In addition to others' advice, using hairspray on your hair before adding the bobby pins is also a way to give additional 'grip' to your hair for the pins to stick to.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 88

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.