[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The "Feel" of a Cosplay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 260x299) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 260x299
As I've been planning a cosplay recently, a thought popped into my head. The cosplay I was planning was more of a casual look and the thought crossed my mind that I could go hyper accurate to it or I could take it on as a "how it would be executed in real life feel", a sort of lived-in look. I can't find a good way to exactly explain what I mean, but pretty much, when does /cgl/ think it's okay to take some artistic liberties to really become the character except in real life and when do you think it's more appropriate to be very loyal to the original design. Discuss?

For example: a character doesn't have a shiny fabric in one place, but you know it would look good or a character having boots of a certain types, but using a slightly different style of boot because that's what they'd have to wear if they were real.
>>
>>8902274
It's normal for cosplayers to alter some elements for multitude of reasons.

Certain hair styles do not translate well in real life so cosplayers have been known to tone some elements down for practical reasons. Others change clothing items and lengths to better flatter their figure. In terms of your question, Jojo cosplayers routinely use shiny fabric to bring out the sparkly look the characters have even though the source material shows otherwise
>>
>>8902274
I cosplay mostly from comics, and since comic artists often aren't costume designers, they don't have always create costumes that can exist. Seams are missing from important places, body parts are outline in a way that just isn't possible, etc. I take liberties where possible so that 2D drawings can work in the real world.
>>
in op pic i would tone down the collar and jester looking shit to make a more functional outfit

i have done so similarly with gaius where his knee-guards in game are ridiculously large and look silly in game let alone real life
>>
Most of the time when I make something my goal is two things; being accurate to the design, and what is going to look good on me. I know my body type well enough and I'm okay with changing details to look better on my body. I want to look good in whatever I'm making.

The only time I like going a little off the wall on something is for Jojo costumes. Just being within that community its something that's pretty acceptable. But its fun because it makes you want to explore with different types of fabric.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.