[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lolita/Jfash in Tokyo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 6
File: Takeshita-Street.jpg (486 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
Takeshita-Street.jpg
486 KB, 1024x680
Yo, I'm going to be going to Tokyo soon for about a week, and I was wondering -- does anyone here have any experience actually wearing jfash in Japan? Stories, etc? The thought of my own trip coming up has made me curious about how locals actually react to it. Any style welcome, just share away.
>>
>>8897076

I wore gothic aristocrat and my friend wore sweet and classic lolita. Locals didn't really seem to care or pay any special attention.
>>
No one will come up to you and make any comments/harass you, however, you will be secretly judged by a few passerbys (which I didn't care about)
I heard a lot of "kawaii!" from a few girls who walked by me which was a huge confidence booster.

I saw a few Lolitas in the train stations but it is not common. Most of the people on trains or in stores will be in business clothes or school uniforms.Don't be afraid anon, just wear what you want.
>>
>>8897076
I wore lolita for the last three days of my japan trip last summer. And there was basically no reactions, people hardly even stared (with the exception of a few fellow tourists). Of course my outfits weren't too crazy OTT so maybe that helped.
>>
I saw lots of japanese lolitas and other people wearing pretty loud jfashion styles. When I wore lolita, the locals didn't really care. The only comment I overheard was in maiden clothing from two lolitas referring to me as a very tall woman. I'm 5'9". The shop staff would comment positively on my outfits, or thank me if I was wearing clothing from their brand.
>>
No one will have much of a reaction. Tokyo's population is generally used to foreigners and tourists and so on. If you were going somewhere rural, or a smaller city, it'd be a bit different.

That said, if you have piercings, tattoos or brightly dyed hair, you'll probably overhear a few remarks from people. Like >>8897083 said, they still won't come up and say anything to you directly, but the days I didn't wear wigs/lolita, I heard a lot of people saying (mostly positive) things about my hair being bright purple. At most, they might try to sneak photos of you if you're particularly OTT about it.

I ran into a little girl at one point while we were site-seeing near Osaka, who was super impressed with my hair. She used all of the English she had learned in school (It's nice to meet you! My name is ___!) to approach me, then just gushed in Japanese about my hair being 'kakkoii'. A friend of ours very kindly translated between us while her mother watched a short way away. After she was satisfied that the purple-haired foreigner was enjoying Japan, she trotted off and back to what they were doing before.
>>
Is it the same sort of reaction to itabags?
>>
Hey anon, what days are you going? I'm going pretty soon too.

On that note, how cramped/ in peoples' way will I feel at the restaurants I go to? Odd question, but sushi joints for instance look fairly small from what I see and I already sometimes feel awkward trying to squeeze through with a full petti on.
>>
>>8897095
Oh, I had a similar experience in Korea. I was at the subway station and this teenager girl approached me and started asking about my then purple hair.
She was under the impression my hair was naturally purple and wanted to touch it. At the end, she asked for a selfie and went away beaming.
I'm not sure if she was making fun of me with the whole "is your hair this color" or if I misunderstood. It happened other times as well, people would approach me and ask for pictures, but probably because I was a foreign as well.

I'm pretty sure your experiences will be the same, nobody will be rude or anything.
>>
>>8897187
It depends on where you go

>>8897076
You'll be either ignored, slightly stared out, maybe get a few comments. Really nobody gives many fucks about some weirdo foreigner
>>
>>8897076
Been once, going again in a month. As a foreigner you're probably going to draw attention regardless if you dress up or not. No Japanese people were being blatantly rude about dressing up however there was a tourist couple who were being complete obvious and embarrassing assholes about one girl in a gothic outfit.
>>
>>8897187
You should probably minimize poof. I didn't see any lolitas with mega poofy pettis on.
>>
I wore lolita for my whole trip when I was in Japan. Minimal poof, simple non-print JSK & skirts, classic style. I'm Asian so they won't know I'm a foreigner until I reveal the fact that I can't speak Japanese. I got some obvious glares & whispers from time to time, everything is fine in the fashion district though. I also had kids stare at me & ask their mum why am I dressing up like that. I find it somewhat ironic that I saw a white foreigner dressing in sweet with huge poof & AP's sweet print with thigh gap showing, nobody outright judged her.
>>
>>8897286
>dressing in sweet with huge poof & AP's sweet print with thigh gap showing

How?
>>
>>8897298
I think she means ZR above her socks.
>>
What stores should I go to?
>>
>>8897384
All of them.

But in seriousness, what are you into? Lolita? Decora? Collectibles? Tokyo has a lot of shops, and unless you live there for a while, going to every single one is going to be pretty rough.
>>
>>8897286
It's because they expect foreigners to be...foreign barbarians with no cultural awareness. If they think you're local, you get judged much more harshly for not conforming.
>>
>>8897286
Gaijin pass
>>
The only lolitas I spotted were gothic/classical and in Akiba or Tokyo Disneyland.
>>
Archive
>>
>>8897245
hell, half of them don't even wear pettis when they go out.

>>8897397
I've heard some unsavoury stuff about the Lolita La foret staff--like ignoring foreigners and just being very rude etc-- is that true? Also which CC has the bitch manager?
>>
>>8897076
I live in Tokyo and dress in jfash daily. No real reactions or anything out of the ordinary. My Japanese girlfriend is really into cosplay and fashion herself. If anything I get mistaken for being Japanese.
>>
>>8897457
If you're being an obnoxious fuck, you'll be treated accordingly. Otherwise, everyone will be polite
>>
I got a bunch of compliments on this JM bag, the times where it was just konbini staff mentioning it felt the best.

I suspect you're going to get a lot of compliments in clothing stores no matter what you look like as a part of sales tactics. They sure know how to tell you that you look like a model. (was nice either way, at home I'm so used to angry teen staff in shops)

It seemed like the ones actually approaching me in Tokyo where from other parts of Japan.
>>
>>8897076
We wore otome every day bar one and got stared at, it could burn a hole through you. It's to be expected. But no one was rude about it. And japanese people in Tokyo were extremely helpful with everything.

My advise is, wear comfortable shoes. The weights of the shopping bags combined with bad footwear will hinder you for days to come.
>>
>>8897076
Don't overpoof and be aware of the size/shape of your bags, it could lead to very embarrassing situations (my purse knocked a basket in a shop. staff was very nice and wasn't angry but I was SO embarrassed I never went back in)
>>
Wear lolita! Bring comfortable shoes that you can walk a lot in. I found it too hot to wear wigs when I was there. I wore cute casual coords when I was in tokyo.

I only got one negatively expressed comment which was "even the gaijin are wearing lolita now!" As some dude was snickering to his gf. Nothing else negative was vocally expressed towards me.

The shop girls are super sweet and nerdy and will comment on any anime/otome accessories on your bag/outfit. I enjoyed that a lot.

Have fun anon!
>>
I wore a lot of general cutesy outfits that I got from Takeshita Dori both times I went. (Think Popteen.) I got nothing but compliments from people. If you're white, skinny, and in jfashion, you probably won't get anything but positive comments. Get used to overhearing "KAWAII!" and "KIREI!" as girls point at you. If you're over 5' and wear heels, get used to overhearing "AH, TAKAI!" Haha. On that note, BRING INSOLES! You're going to be walking a LOT and they're an absolute saving grace. Your feet will thank you!

I know it's their job, but a lot of shop girls complimented my outfits and gushed over how "cute" I was. I don't think I'm really deserving of that, but it was a great confidence booster. Especially since most of them are so cute!

You're also going to get hit on a LOT if you're by yourself or with another girl friend. Walking around Ikebukuro we got stopped like every 5 minutes from dudes wanting to nanpa, or pick us up. Dudes can be kinda pushy/weird but ultimately harmless. Just say "Kimoi" (gross) or "Muri dayo" (impossible!) and they'll leave you alone.

I never had any negative experiences... Nobody really cares what you wear, especially if you're hanging out in places like Shibuya or Harajuku.

I'm not a lolita, so I can't really tell you how that is, but I did see a handful in Harajuku every time I went. Nobody seemed to care/notice. Like people said, stores are a LOT smaller/more crowded so maybe go sans petti. Just have fun and wear what you want, anon!
>>
>>8897457
I found the staff of the lolita shops in La Foret to just ignore me. A quiet greeting and nothing more. The shop girls from Aymmy were very interested and showed different items that they thought would suit me. Also the girls working in AatP in Marui Anex were also super cute and tried so hard to communicate in broken english. The rudest ones were the ETC staff in Marui. Asked me to leave almost right away.
>>
>>8897728
How bad is the whole 'tall' thing?
I'm 5'11'' and most of my shoes are heeled, and I'm mostly concerned about my height than my clothes. ( I'm into larme + general jfashion so luckily it's nothing too out there.)
>>
I either got ignored or nice compliments in both the middle of Saitama and Tokyo. I mainly wore cute casual stuff with a slice of sexy (so basically gyaru lacking lower lashes and hair). When I wore lolita a drew a little more attention, but also just positive. The only thing you should be careful about, even as a foreigner, are shirts with a wide decolté, that's considered slutty in Japan.
>>
>>8897900
I'm 5'5" and wore 5+ inch wedges there. I got it quite often (about 3 - 5 times a day) but it was never meant as an insult! Usually it was followed up by "kawaii" or whatever. They mean it as a compliment. Even if you wear normalfag clothes you're still gonna hear it, probably.

>>8897885
Shop staff can be so hit or miss! The shop girl at Altier Mew in 109 was super cute when she saw my Sailor Moon shirt and kept doing Sailor Moon poses, it was fucking adorable. The Listen Flavor girl off of Takeshita was super sweet too! She engaged in a fun conversation without dumbing down her Japanese (even though I'm not the best) and was super sweet and fangirled with me over a drama I liked.

I was mostly ignored in La Foret as well. Closet Child staff in Harajuku watched me like a hawk... Made me feel super uncomfortable. Why did they ask you to leave at ETC?
>>
>>8897286
>>8897298
Isn't it the leg thing too? Showing a lot of leg just isn't as big a deal or immodest for whatever reason. Bust yes, but legs? One could have the shortest of booty shorts and hardly anyone blinks an eye.
>>
File: P17837630.jpg (34 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
P17837630.jpg
34 KB, 320x320
>>8897905
Is it wide decolletes too? I knew about low-cut shirts, like no lower than your armpit. Is pic-related considered improper (as I have shirts cut like this I was thinking of wearing when I go in about a month).
>>
>>8897946
Those are ok, as long as no cleavage is showing. Anyway as a white foreigner ppl will mostly 'ignore' it, you'll just get lots of views by males and also lots of 'wanna go for some tea' requests if showing cleavage. As an asian (I mean Japanese looking) foreigner it might get problematic and ppl might tell you to dress up properly until they realize you have not a single clue of moon speak
>>
>>8897885
Went to laforet.
>baby
Complimented me, recommended me dresses that suit my tastes (which is black) and recognized my baby dress. Very polite.
>putumayo
Best store hands down. Super friendly, recommended me lots of things, and very bubbly friendly.
>ap
Said hi, nothing more.
>>
>>8897723
>even the gaijins are wearing lolita now!
Muh speshul sekrit fashun klub muh cultural appropriation durr
>>
>>8897728
I'm 5"4 and sometimes wear sm all/medium heels making me 5"5/5"6 and i am terrified of being seen as tall...i wanna feel small and cute.
>>
I am moving to Japan really soon (havent got my location assignment yet but probably some where not Tokyo) and this has all been really helpful. Thanks for this thread gulls!
>>
>>8897194
I think when they mean 'is that a wig?' rather than 'is your hair really purple?' when they ask if that's your real hair. Not whether you naturally sprout purple hair.

The little girl I met asked similar, and nodded very seriously when informed it was dyed.
>>
>>8897457
In La Foret, I found it depended on the shop. No one outright ignored me, and I went twice (once dressed up, once in just normal jeans and a t-shirt). Every shop greeted me when I arrived, and most would help me quickly if I wanted to ask a question.

The staff that were friendliest/went out of their way the most were in the Leur Getter, Atelier Pierrot, and Metamorphose shops. All three shops went out of their way to show me items that would go with things I was looking at or wearing, and the Atelier Pierrot and Metamorphose staff both tried to hold basic conversations.

The Innocent World girls in both Osaka and Harajuku were also extremely friendly and chatted to me about my t-shirt or my hair or the items I was buying in a mix of English and Japanese (my Japanese is shit, their English isn't much better, there was a lot of giggling and pantomime).

As for the CC manager, none of them seemed particularly bitchy when I was there. They were all pretty busy tagging new items and dealing with the register, so I guess that could seem aloof to some people? They were just otherwise occupied.
>>
Since we're on the topic of shopping.. I'm interested in jfashion, but don't own a single piece of clothing that could in any way relate to it. My skin also doesn't take well to make-up, so I only wear dress nice at cons and the like. Should I be worried about being treated shitty or looked down on if I enter any jfashion shop in Tokyo?
Going in two weeks and was hoping to get some cute clothes, but I already feel awkward enough shopping for girly things at home.
>>
>>8898189
I was in normie fashion when I went about two years ago but I was interested in Liz Lisa. The girls in the takeshita dori store were so cute and helpful with finding my first set! They grabbed all their catalogs and showed me outfit shots on their phone to help me choose. They were so sweet and helpful. I looked like a potato wearing clothes + no makeup. The girls at the 109 store were very helpful too, speaking in broken english and helping me find a set I saw in HK.
>>
>>8898189
Yeah, don't worry about it. Everybody starts somewhere, and they get tourists all the time who are totally clueless. If you're confident in knowing what you want, and you've got money to spend, they're not going to send you away.
>>
>>8898189
Wear makeup, you slob
>>
>>8898204
>>8898211
Thank you so much for this input! Feeling slightly less shy about this now.

>>8898217
Have wasted about $1800 so far on products and treatments that'll prevent my skin from flaring up anytime I wear any make-up so fuck off, I'm trying.
>>
>>8898228
If you're worried, maybe skip heavier make-up like foundation and just use a light-weight concealer around your problem areas, use some blush and curl your lashes.
>>
>>8898070
You're already 2" taller than the average height, you won't be considered small unless you're less than 5'. You might manage cute though.
>>
>>8898070
>only being 5"5/5"6 in heels
Silly anon, you have it easy.
>>
>>8898070
You won't be freakishly tall or anything, there are lots of Japanese women who are as tall as you. You'll just be model-tall.
>>
>>8898483
This makes me nervous now. I hate wearing tea parties, and I'm around 5'11" (probably taller) in heels, would I get unicorn stares or side comments if I went shopping in Japan?
>>
>>8898654
Sorry anon... My brother is about your height and he got stared at a lot. People wanted to take pictures with him too.

It's never anything mean-spirited though, don't worry about that (but you're welcome to be my lesbian viking goddess waifu... pls)
>>
>>8897095
>>8897194

That reminds me, if you happen to have tattoos, be aware that most public bathhouses in Japan will turn you away because tattoos are traditionally associated with the yakuza.

If you're tattooed and you want to have the public bathhouse experience, research in advance which bathhouses do not have this restriction. Yes, these bathhouses will likely have a few yakuza members there. No, they will not bother you, as long as you don't bother them.
>>
>>8898654
Yeah, you'll get stares at that height regardless. If you stand up straight and walk with purpose, people might even think you're some foreign model on her way to work for a special event.
>>
>>8897076
What's a good place to shop for nice adult normie clothes in Tokyo?
>>
>>8898789
well now i just want to go a tattoo accepting bathhouse to meet yakuza members
>>
>>8898189
I never wear makeup because of sensitive skin, and I wore shorts and a Normie shirt to Liz Lisa. They still called me cute and made me feel pretty..my heart couldn't take it.
>>
>>8898815
Get the whole Japanese experience and all that, right anon?
>>
>>8898808
Ummm...Uniqlo is probably your cheapest normalfag store but if there's one in your city already the Japanese ones aren't quite so exciting. Depends how normie you want to be, but probably just head to Shibuya and Shinjuku and check out the big multi level malls.
>>
File: 1403652832957.gif (635 KB, 569x320) Image search: [Google]
1403652832957.gif
635 KB, 569x320
>>8898694
>>
>>8897909
>Closet Child staff in Harajuku watched me like a hawk.
Do you mean that one girl in the goth floor that constantly gives you cut eye? Apparently she does that to everyone and my friend that came back from a recent trip told me it doesn't seem like she works there anymore.
>>
>>8898901
I'm mostly interested in mina/Cancam style clothes
>>
Any themed restaurant recs? Looking for cutesy stuff like Q-Pot Cafe.

>>8898815
Don't get your pinky chopped.
>>
>>8898930
Kawaii Monster Cafe.
>>
>>8898067
Japan is pretty silly with their exclusive 'muh fashion' mentality (among other things), they don't want gaijins to have it
>>
>>8898930
Milky Way Cafe

>>8898926
Well...I guess just google the brands advertised and see where their stores are? It's not a magazine I routinely follow so I'm sorry I can't be of more help, from a quick google search it looked like overall the looks are drawn from a number of brands including Uniqlo, Snidel, Furla, Natural Beauty Basic and mixed with more luxury items. I think the best way to go about it would be to go through this years' magazines, have a look at which looks you like the best and check out those brand stores.
>>
How bad is it with fat people in jfashion there? A cousin is going with me this fall and we're worried if they'll be rude. She's like 200 and short
>>
I know this thread is about jfash and Lolita but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with cosplaying in Japan? It'd just be a casual cosplay (Makise Kurisu from Steins;Gate)
>>
>>8899592
Nothing will fit her because of the general "one size" thing. Not sure about how she'll be treated, but generally Japanese people won't say stuff out loud to "save face".
>>
>>8899592
Depends on what style she's into. There are oversized items that are meant to be worn loosely that might fit her. Also certain stores like Punyus in Shibuya 109 that cater to poccha kawa fashion have clothes with more leeway for chubbier girls. But agreeing with the other anon: if she's much bigger than the average Japanese girl, most things won't fit her.
>>
>>8899592
Damn, hit post too quickly. I doubt any store staff will be rude. Not sure about on the street, but most Japanese people in the big cities mind their own business.
>>
>>8899597
No experience with it, but from what I heard it isn't that common to cosplay outside of conventions and events. So some people might look at you funny, but I doubt anyone will give you shit for it as long as you don't act like a loud weeaboo and the costume is casual.
>>
File: IMG_9751.jpg (491 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9751.jpg
491 KB, 600x900
you'll have fun! my friend and i went for coming of age day and they wore a furisode through harajuku and i was just doing my own version of normalfagging it (which is to say, mild jfashion) and we ended up getting street snapped by junnyan.
>>
>>8899592
I;m a UK 6 (American like 2 or 4?) and I just fit an asian large ( I am however, extremely tall compared to asians), so normal japanese clothing most likely won't fit.

They do have some plus size japanese clothing, and baggy clothes are quite fashionable over there.
http://www.survivingnjapan.com/2012/06/where-to-find-tall-and-plus-size.html
Here's a guide to stores etc. that do more western size clothing ( but they still not really going to go above like a UK size 16-18, US 14)
>>
>>8899597
I think that it's actually illegal to cosplay in most public places in Japan. I'd recommend against if you don't think you'll be able to explain yourself properly.
>>
>>8897728
I had a drunk nanpa try to pull me into his lap and then yell "Do you think I'm an animal!?" At me when I dashed past him. But that's because I messed up my hotel and stayed in Kabukicho instead of Shibuya. You'll also get hosts trying to talk you into going to the club if you're Asian/passing.
>>
>>8900009
>illegal to cosplay in most public places in Japan

You are so full of shit, people cosplay , wear outragous jfash, etc. everywhere.
>>
>>8900137
Not really just in Tokyo. That being said the only way cosplay would be illegal is if you're carrying a weapon or prop weapon or anything the police decide could disturb the peace.

Anon might be thinking about how cosplayers always change on site rather than arrive in costume and that's mainly because

A) Trains are crowded
B) They don't want cosplayers walking though the halls and getting stopped for pictures. It blocks the halls and people selling their doujin porn don't want to be in the background
>>
>>8897723
>>8898952

Rorita is 100% JAPANESE. No VICTORIAN inspiru
>>
>>8900014
Lel Shibuya with all its love hotels and sex shops?
>>
>>8900227

Yeah, it's not something that's really common like weebs expect Japan to be, but it's definitely there. Anime isn't representative of real life, Shimoneta included.
>>
>>8899592
Don't even worry about it.
I am in Japan now and I'm kinda fat. I did get stares but that might be because I'm blonde and I wear adventure time leggings often, Japan loves adventure time...!

Ah for shops, Harajuku shops feels too busy, so I don't like going dress/skirt shopping there. I would recommend marui 101 instead. All the staff were super friendly! I felt like putumayo shop and aatp shop were the most helpful, might be because this floor is less crowded/busy. Have fun ~
>>
>>8897885
>The rudest ones were the ETC staff in Marui. Asked me to leave almost right away.
Wait, what? Why?
>>
>>8899706
>>8900009
>>8900227
>>8901012

Ah, ok thanks for the input! I think I just won't then since a few photos in Akihabara probably isn't worth the hassle then
>>
>>8898789
>>8897095
I've always wondered but if I have a "Y" with two strikes through it, like a yen sign, tattooed on my upper arm, will I have a higher chance of being shunned/stabbed?
>>
Taking the chance to ask since I'm very possibly going next year, how hard is it to communicate if you don't know japanese?
I'm considering taking basic classes but so far, I haven't found anyone who teaches it in my area (also considering learning basic stuff through books+online but it's always better to have someone teaching you properly and correcting your mistakes).
>>
>>8901073
I had no trouble - just remember to write down important things (like your hotel address) so worst case scenario you can just take a cab and show it to the driver.

Most japanese are helpful enough that if you put on a "confused foreigner face", they will either try to help or fetch someone who speaks english. People in high end shops and 5 star hotels in particular will bend over backwards to make you comfortable.

Young may want to practice whatever language you speak so you can take advantage of that, too. For example, I was approached by a girl who wanted to practice spanish and I ended up asking about local restaurants while we talked.
>>
>>8898930
Diamond Dining does a bunch of themed restaurants including Christon Cafe and a range of Alice-themed spots, all of which have different decor. The food at Christon was awful, so I'd recommend just getting drinks there, but the Alice restaurant we went to in Shinjuku was okay.

http://www.diamond-dining.jp/ is their general website (they also have a bunch of normie restaurants, this link should get you a full list of their themed options: http://www.diamond-dining.jp/shops/?s=&a=&v=&m=&g=4&c=&b=&b_name1=Search+for ) If you just want to find out about their Alice-themed restaurants, use this website: http://www.alice-restaurant.com/

>>8898789
Does anyone know of an onsen/bathhouse that would be okay with tattoos? Mine aren't obnoxious, but they're enough to keep me out of most places, and I haven't been able to find any of these yakuza-friendly places via Google.
>>
>>8901239
http://tattoo-spot.jp/
I don't know where you're going but this website shows tattoo friendly places
>>
>>8898930
Q-Pot Cafe is the best. I also really enjoyed Pom Pom Purin Cafe, Kawaii Monster Cafe, and Temari No Ouchi, which is a huge and gorgeous cat cafe. All of the different Alice themed cafes the other anon mentioned have different decor. We went to the one in Shibuya for drinks and dessert which were quite good.

If you go to Tokyo DisneySea, Magellan's and the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge are awesome.
>>
If you need help a lot of people can work with English and surprisingly French because a lot of Japanese are Francophiles
>>
>>8901129
I was a little worried I'd have a hard time because of any language barrier but you've made me feel more relieved. As long as I can manage with english it'll be great, unless I get your luck and bump into someone who speaks my mother language.
Thank you so much!

>>8901366
I had no idea, that's also a great help considering I'm going with family members and one of us speaks french fluently. Thank you!
>>
No better thread for this I guess. Are Crocs common in Japan?
>>
>>8903198
In general yes. I saw high schoolers wearing crocs in the dead of winter. In jfashion not really though
>>
>>8898228
>>8898330
I second lash-curling. You don't need mascara or liner or anything, just curl them nicely and you'll immediately see the difference.
>>8899592
I know you can get some pretty big pieces. I went up from a UK 8 to a 12-14 because of meds and I could still fit into some of my Liz Lisa pieces. I'm a 10 now, and they still fit fine with no stretching.
Then again, it depends how her weight is distributed. If she has a huge ass she might find it hard to find bottoms that fit, but as long as she's not in hamplanet territory she should be able to find at least a few dresses and things.
>>
Is the metro easy to navigate? Is it better to go by train? Bus?
Is walking from Harajuku to Shibuya possible?

Sorry for the autistic questions, I just live in a small bog standard town with under 10000 inhabitants and I've never been to a really big city like London or Paris so I don't know

My country's capital has the world's shittiest public transport system so I've never bothered to use it
>>
>>8901073
You will find signage in English just about everywhere, even in less popular areas like in the alps to the west of Tokyo (which is where I went last fall). If you're visibly a foreigner (i.e. not an east asian) then you will probably have less trouble communicating since most people will assume you don't know the language and therefore try speaking English or find someone who does. For foreigners who "look" Japanese (as in, east asians) but don't know the language, the largest communication problem you will probably have is when a random granny strikes up conversation with you while at the bus stop or the like and you futilely try to tell her you don't know Japanese. Other than that, it's just a minor blip in procedure where you convey to the person that just said something in Japanese to you that you actually don't know Japanese and then they repeat in English.

By the way, I found it EXTREMELY helpful to memorize the kanas before going. If you only have time for one, choose katakana - there are many loanwords from English so you'll be able to read and actually understand what you're reading, e.g. when reading a menu.
>>
>>8903234
if you get a suica card and take the metro everywhere youll basically be good to go. they arent that hard to navigate, either . i wouldnt particularly recommend buses or anything because they would take longer, so def do the metro
>>
>>8903235
Also some helpful stuff because it took me some time to understand how everything works:
>Seating at restaurants
If you're solo, generally you sit at the counter at restaurants (if it's self-seating). You put your purse on the stool next to you and fold your coat on top of it. Obviously move your purse off the stool if it starts to get crowded and/or people need seats.
>Ordering
At any point when you are ready to order or need something, even if there is no one in sight, say "sumimasen" and someone will come over to attend to you. Note that you can keep adding to your order this way, e.g. order a drink and small dish, eat it, then order more small dishes, etc.
>Paying
When you're done eating, you can say "sumimasen" and then cross your index fingers into an "x". This is the nonverbal way to ask for a receipt. Alternatively, if you say "gochisoosama desu" that is also a good way to compliment the chef as well as passively indicate you are done and want the receipt.

Some places will take your money at the table and others require you pick up your bill and bring it to the cash register up front. If there's no one to observe then a good indicator is if they bring you a money tray with the check, in which case you pay at the table.
>Conbini
That thing they are asking you while you are paying is probably if you want a plastic bag. A simple nod or shake of the head works, otherwise "onegaishimasu" for yes and "irinai" for no.

>>8903234
You absolutely can walk from Harajuku and Shibuya, it's actually quite nice to stroll and see all the nice shops along the way. The metro is easy to navigate if you are used to navigating city trains/buses. Signs are everywhere in English and you basically follow a color coded system. Trains are always easier because you can easily backtrack if you miss your stop, but the buses in Japan are so easy to use that it shouldn't deter you. All the buses I took had signs in English as well and I took many of them.
>>
>>8903247
I forgot to add that some restaurants have a button at the table you can push to call someone over.

Also drink vending machines sometimes serve both hot and cold beverages - if you look below the drink, there will be a label in red or blue which indicate hot or cold drink, respectively. If there is a drink with a fire border surrounding it, that means the specific beverage is popular (a hot seller). Sometimes vending machines have "sales" where drinks cost 10 yen less!

If you try on clothes, that mesh bag they give you when you go into the dressing room is to cover your face, so your makeup does not get on the clothes. If there is a step up then you remove your shoes before entering the room.
>>
>>8903220
Dumber question then. Do they wear socks with them? I have a pair of ballerina flats style Crocs but I wear them bare. I know it's not jfash just packing for travel
>>
>>8903235
>>8903247
>>8903257
Anon you were answering to here, thank you SO much. That was incredibly helpful and informative! I'm taking notes of the things you mentioned so I don't forget later on when planning the trip. Thank you!
>>
>>8903247
>>8903399
One other thing about restaurants, there are counter-style places where you pay in advance using a ticket-dispensing machine. You pick the option you want from the menu, and select accordingly from the machine. Your money goes in, and a ticket with your order comes out. When you sit down, you put that ticket in front of you (there's usually a raised counter between you and the staff), and they'll cook and bring your meal.

This is the most common format I've found for shops that do ramen, -don or similar meals. It's also used at some buffet-style places like Sweets Paradise. It can be a bit tricky at first, but is pretty efficient once you're used to it. It's generally something done at relatively cheap restaurants.
>>
>>8898952
I'm pretty sure that comment meant "kek why are foreigners wearing that weird ass fashion? Do they think it's normal here?!" Rather than "muh appropriation"
>>
Yall realize lolita and the fashion you speak off is just a transplant from japan right? Why would anyone care if lets says someone in the usa wore gangsta clothes?

Kek you are hoping for reactions i bet
>>
Does anyone have recommdations for cute places to get drinks?
>>
>>8903429
This. Plenty of people will be silently judging no matter what you do as a gaijin. , they will just nor say anything unless you are actively disturbing the peace. I was so worried about all the dos and don'ts before my first trip. I remember panicking a little because you're not supposed to walk the streets while eating and drinking and I wanted to bring a drink on the train and didn't know if that was "acceptable." Then I realized even if I did it's not like someone would scold me.
>>
I was in Shinjuku station end of last year and there was some Caucasian girl (with her mother), gave me the impression they were tourists, wearing lolita, assuming they were going Harajuku which is like 3 stops away, no one seemed like they were too bothered to be honest.

I seemed to be the only one interested in truth.

Basically you should be fine.
>>
>>8903198
Dont wear crocs, they are super out of style and only children wear them now. Remember everyone in japan dresses nicely on a regular basis, so put a little effort in and you'll feel more comfortable (unless you have some medical condition or whatever)
>>
>>8907125
[spoiler] no [/spoiler]
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.