[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Licensed/character fabrics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20160216_195429.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160216_195429.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
Forgive me if this is way old news, but I just went to JoAnn for the first time in months and was boggled by all the nerdy licensed fabrics. A dozen bolts of different Dr. Who, obviously a ton of Marvel and DC, Zelda, even Walking Dead (that one was a bit of a head-scratcher). I thought it was really neat, but I had no idea what I would use any of them for.

So, ITT: cosplays/coords/clothes/etc. made with licensed fabrics? Preferably ones that don't suck?
>>
Not exactly what you're looking for, but I made a dice bag from the a Marvel licensed print from JoAnn. Nothing fancy, but its impressed a lot of people when I pull it out.
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 625x440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 625x440
You could use them to line garments or make tote or drawstring bags with for carrying things at cons.

Pic related would be cute with some fandom fabric.
>>
>>8870062
>dice bag
you giant fucking nerd
>>
>>8870084
Yup. Crazy that a nerd would be talking about nerdy licensed fabric on a board dedicated to cosplay and expensive Japanese fashion.
>>
>>8870079
That would work well for those little bottle holding bags too
>>
I won't self post, but I've used licensed fabrics for tacky dresses I wear to comic cons. I've also used them for dice bags, quilt blocks, baby blankets, and children's clothing.
>>
File: IMG_20160216_195438.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160216_195438.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
>>8870124
I'd love to see your tacky dresses. How did you manage to make that cheap quilting fabric work for a dress?

>>8870062
>>8870079
So far I'm thinking that all of these would really be best for accessories and pillows and stuff. I'll have to look for ideas in that range of stuff.

I'm still a little baffled by the Walking Dead fabric. I know it's popular and people eat up anything Walking Dead with a spoon, but what the heck would you even use this for?
>>
>>8870144
Looks like it would be great for blankets and bedding.
>>
>>8870144
protip anon, the dresses probably still look like shit.
>>
The Nintendo ones would be good for 3DS cases. It's nice because cases are small and you'd only need a little fabric.
>>
I made bloomers out of some, to wear under lolita and as summer PJ bottoms.
>>
File: m-dress.jpg (344 KB, 1024x801) Image search: [Google]
m-dress.jpg
344 KB, 1024x801
>>8870144
The quality isn't great but it's decent enough for either quilting/blankets or dresses I'm only going to wear 2-3 times. Though I did have a couple regular dresses made from similar average quality quilt print fabric, and they held up to a reasonable amount of regular wear. I have one tacky Marvel dress that's a 1960s A line, and I've done two with a simple princess seam bodice with a pleated or gathered full skirt. Quilt prints work fine for simple styles that don't require a nice drape. I've seen a lot of people do simple bodice + flared or gathered skirt with licensed fabrics. (This is not my dress. I pulled it off google image search.)
>>
>>8870468
I secretly love these sorts of dresses. I'm not sure what I can do to make them look less generic, though.
>>
>>8870144
So glad it's from the comics and not the show.
>>
>>8870144
Fuck dude. I'm obsessed with The Walking Dead. Would kill to have something that I could plausibly wear to work on casual Fridays.
>>
>>8870925
Maybe using a solid color like black for most of the dress, and then using the printed fabric as an accent? Like, maybe sewing it as a large strip accross the bottom, and adding a bow with it? I always feel like it's too busy, but maybe this way it'll feel more like a dressy sundress.
>>
>>8871044
I've thought about doing some color blocking, like maybe side panels of printed fabric and solid for the rest. Guess I'll have to bust out the pencils and play around with some designs. I like the idea of making a bow with it!
>>
File: bw_comic_skirt01.jpg (64 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
bw_comic_skirt01.jpg
64 KB, 550x550
>>8871044
In my opinion, no matter how discreet you're trying to be, it will always look like shit because of the harsh colors, even if there isn't much of it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.