[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cosplay/Convention Proposal Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
What do you think about proposing at conventions? Sweet or tacky? Share stories or videos of proposals you've seen, or what you would do if you were proposed to at a convention.
>>
File: 1419040704500.jpg (126 KB, 856x704) Image search: [Google]
1419040704500.jpg
126 KB, 856x704
Pretty cringe desu
>>
Two happened at Katsu

and a marriage

the marriage looked like normies who were jutst using the gazebo. It was kind of sweet actually. The con clapped for them.

Then I saw a rapunzel and eugene get engaged in the gazebo about 20 minutes later. She looked so thrilled.
>>
>>8869187
someone on my facebook shared a story about some guy proposing to his girlfriend when they cosplayed link and zelda. they won a cosplay competition because of it even though their cosplays apparently sucked. a bit of a cheap move but whatever.
i'm not a fan of public proposals in general so cosplay ones are especially cringe.
>>
Did anyone see that one proposal at Anime Boston last year in the masquerade? I heard about it but I haven't been able to find video of it or anything. Was it cringe or cute? I heard mixed feelings.
>>
>>8869205
Masquerade proposals happen fairly frequently. They're cute and I can appreciate them but it does bother me how they're an instant guaranteed prize no matter the quality of the costumes.
>>
>>8869205
>>8869215
>>8869208

Big public proposals at large photoshoots and masqs are automatically cringey because they're super attention-whorey. Not everyone gives a fuck about your relationship, stop sucking up time from other people.

>incredibly bitter from a year long span where there was shitty 18 year olds proposing to each other EVERY PHOTOSHOOT.
>>
>>8869208
They were lesbians dressed as Lelouch and Suzaku from Geass. The skit was mediocre (obviously) and pretty much a bunch of yaoi jokes but the proposal itself was cute.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvkFMS4m_TQ
>>
I'd never do it because of what it'd turn into online if she said no in front of everybody at a con...
>>
>>8869215
I saw one at a smaller con's masquerade and the proposal was the last "skit" and after it was over the judges just didn't even mention it. They certainly didn't deserve any awards but it was the first time I have seen that.
>>
>>8869202
I saw two Homestucks apparently get married at the gazebo this year. We were getting drinks at the lounge right below it and they scream "WE JUST GOT MARRIED!" "SOMEONE CATCH OUR BOUQUET!" Everyone around us was just like uh... okay... and ignored them. They kept at it until someone finally stood up to catch it.
>>
>>8869227
I would pay real money to see someone get rejected in one of these proposals. Hysterical.
>>
>>8869187
Generally cringe-worthy because it's two weebs in a very public place with a lot of unwilling witnesses. Even if it's the dream place and situation for the couple, it still puts the proposed-to party on the spot (what if he/she says NO? Or he/she feels pressured to answer?). And a proposal isn't legally binding in most cases, nor do a lot of marriages/relationships last. I personally wouldn't come back to the same location or con because of the association and memories if the relationship soured after that.
>>
Proposals as masquerade skits are tacky, overdone, and awkward for the whole room subjected to it.
>>8869215
I actually haven't seen any of them get prizes. But it does make me wonder how many legit quality walk ons and such get rejected to make room for proposals.
>>
File: 1454961388459.jpg (97 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1454961388459.jpg
97 KB, 640x640
>>8869187
as cringe as it is they should at least wear coordinating costumes
why the fuck would robin propose to poison ivy
>>
>>8869249
yes, you're the only one.

>>8869246
I'm pretty sure they work something out behind the scenes first before the big public proposal like the proposed-to party already says yes before they make a big scene in front of a crowd.
>>
>>8869241
The one I saw was an older lady and gentlemen, their minister, a small girl and a best man, and what looked like two brides maids, all in normal dress. We were getting ready for a photoshoot at the gazebo that we had officially booked, turned to start photos and saw them. We let them finished and all applauded, they seemed really happy together. I guess they were planning to have a small ceremony there, not sure if they were aware there was going to be a con when they went through with it. If they werent they took it in stride and the cosplayers and con goers were all nice and respectful about it.
>>
>>8869208
The girls sitting next to me were screaming like crazy.

I think they were watching their ship in real life.
>>
File: static1.squarespace.com.png (312 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.com.png
312 KB, 500x377
>Animazement 2015
>early-ass in the morning
>people gathering around outside right next to the convention entry point/registration area
>what's going on at 9am in the morning?
>find out it's a wedding
>normal looking official, mother of one of them in a nice dress, other nice dressed attendees
>actual musicians to do music
>spot the two getting married
>pic related

>“We were told afterwards that the staff of Animazement delayed the opening of registration to the convention so that our ceremony wouldn’t get interrupted,” he says.
Don't do this shit.
>>
I went to a con in england and at the giant disney photoshop the organizer started to thank us for coming and thanking this prince and a guy comes in the front cosplaying prince charming from the new movie with Cinderella and pulls out a glass slipper case with a ring and proposes to the Cinderella. Everyone was crying and I loved it
>>
>>8869848
Ok, this is super cute.
>>
>>8869215
My con did this once but they didn't allow the proposal to happen until after everything was done and the winners were decided on.
>>
>>8869215
Didn't one con ban masquerade proposals once? I recall that being mentioned here but I can't remember which one
>>
>>8869259
Yeah, I think the correct thing to do is discuss marriage beforehand, so that the person getting proposed to knows it's going to happen. The surprise is where and when exactly.
>>
>>8869187
Unless you met at that convention dont. Even if you are both super nerds this is supposed to be a pivotal moment in your life amd your going propose at a con. Think about it.
>>
I can't take it seriously. It feels like a desperate attention grab if it happens during masquerade or something, and it's so tacky.

Obligatory related cringefest: https://youtu.be/zr20jX0s9W8
>>
>>8870108
I agree with this exactly. I just thought, why would you? Unless it truly has significant meaning or there's some event where it makes sense. Don't do it just because "con"?
>>
>>8870177
cause weebs. it's even weirder in cosplay cause you're just giving the fandom weird OTP fap material.
>>
>>8869225
ALL OF THIS

I appreciate when people time their proposals to be the last thing that happens at an event, or better yet, when an event isn't happening. It isn't fun when the thing you're attending grinds to a halt just so that everyone can pay attention to you for ten minutes and forget about everything else.

Like other anon said, in 2013 there was a spat where some 16 year old was "proposing" to another 16 year old in the middle of a huge cosplay meetup. I personally saw it happen about eight times. Everyone would post their well-wishes, and eventually the kids would post that "tee hee no we aren't getting married, we just exchanged promise rings!"
>>
>>8870108
I met my SO at a con, so that'd work. However, he would have to be just as shitfaced as we both were when we first kissed. Otherwise it's not legit.
>>
On the first meetup I hosted some guy proposed to his girlfriend in the midst, and then posted on the event page asking everyone not to post about it or upload any photos, because his girlfriends parents didn't know yet...
>>
File: at least this tall.jpg (184 KB, 900x1500) Image search: [Google]
at least this tall.jpg
184 KB, 900x1500
I mean I guess it can be cute, but good luck actually making it cute enough.
Like if you were going to have a proposal at a con, it would have to be at night, and probably after most people are cleared out or somewhere away from the crowd. Also, your cosplays must be at least as formal-passing as pic related to ride this ride.
>>
Fuck proposals and people who propose. All they do is remind me of how lonely and empty my life is.

Next proposal I see I might spill something *accidentally* on them, and dare the dude to do something about it.
>>
There was a proposal at Anime Expo about 2 years ago. It was in the karaoke room during open mic in the evening (around the time the dance/rave/whatever was going on). A lolita and her boyfriend sang A Whole New World and at the end he proposed to her. I guess it was cute, but maybe that's only because they were actually an attractive couple...idk. And it wasn't a huge inconvenience for everyone in the room either.
>>
>>8871394
Even if you ruin someone's moment, that won't change the fact that you'll die alone and never knowing love.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.