[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Changing your wardrobe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 1.jpg (297 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
297 KB, 800x531
For people who wear more than 1 jfash style:
>what styles did you pick
>if your styles are wildly different, how did you make it work?

For people who wear jfash daily:
>do you still have normie clothes
>how did you downsize your normie clothes collection

discuss anything and everything regarding changing out your wardobe
>>
>What styles did you pick
I wear sweet lolita and ouji.

>If your styles are wildly different, how did you make it work?
Well considering most of my sweet wardrobe is pastels, I did have to make up the majority of my ouji wardrobe from scratch. Sans a pair of pumpkin pants I own from precious clove, but eh. I wear ouji on a more regular basis than lolita because I find it easier to wear and can make it work casually with my normal wardrobe because I've always had kinda edgy-ish clothes. Plus brand cutsews are super cheap secondhand.

I really wanna build up a gurokawa wardrobe, but I have no idea where to start. Seems funny seeing as I can wear lolita in public, but I feel like I'd bitch out wearing it in public and just put something else on so I don't see much point in buying it.
>>
>>8864833
>Seems funny seeing as I can wear lolita in public, but I feel like I'd bitch out wearing it in public and just put something else on so I don't see much point in buying it

I have this exact same problem, anon! I wear classic lolita so usually it's just "oh are you in a play?" or "you remind me of Mary Poppins!", but I feel like if I wore menhera, I'd freak people out or come off as an edgelord. It might be easier on you if you live in a city where there are people who dress very differently already.
>>
>>8864833
>>8864845
Jfashion guro prints are usually a lot more tame/subtle compared to what is offered in the west by alternative fashion brands. My boyfriend wears a shitton of old Iron Fist shirts with realistic painted nude woman with organs hanging out and nobody bats an eye even in our small village. I don't think it will be a big deal unless you go OTT with Kreepsville accessories.
>>
yes but they're all around the house stuff like track pants and old t-shirts. Sometimes I'm lazy and do leave the house in them if it's only a quick, run to the store, type errand, safe in the knowledge no one will recognize me out of lolita.
I let them wear themselves out. Something gets too ratty to wear throw it away and don't replace it. Currently I'm only having to replenish basics (t-shirts, jumpers ect) every couple of years. It's really not hard to find space for everything, normie clothes go into my drawers and lolita goes in my closet.
>>
I usually wore black shirts, jeans and black boots, but now I'm turning more Fairy Kei and pinky. A lot of friends cannot imagine a pinky me. Well, I can try it.
>>
I use to wear a lot of black because goth mom. Now I feel its hard to change my wardrobe to any type of jfash because I feel like I don't know how to coordinate the outfits even though I do a lot of research :/
>>
VK, Lolita, Uchuu and Menhera mainly (wear at least 4 times a week). Decora, Kogal/Nanchatte, Angura/Oshare, Goshikku/Rokku, Mahou kei sometimes (wear maybe once a week or to special events).

My closet just looks like I am some sort of preformer. I have a few main pieces for each, a lot of crossover pieces and some that don't even fit in any of the above. Goes from 10 shades of black to super neon. My accessories are even more across the board. I snag deals on whatever I can whenever and never focus solely on any one style.

Honestly not since I was aloud to pick out my own clothes so well over 10 years now since I had normie clothes. When I absolutely must throw together a normie outfit it's all black and some sort of crazy skirt. I don't own blue jeans or normal socks at all lol its funny when my doctor sees my socks she always stares as they're usually knee high and neon.

Grew out of it and donated it

Didn't realize I may have fashion ADD until writing out all the fashions I wear....
I got into some of these fashions long before I could shop online or go to cons so never stop looking around wherever you go.

Pic not mine but how it must look to my husband
>>
I wear mori and lolita
I consider mori everyday clothes while lolita is for special occasions like partys or holidays.

I'm current in the process of removing all the normie clothes (t-shirts mostly) from my wardrobe.
>>
>>8864767
I wear sweet lolita, fairy kei, and nanchatte. I also wear clothes from brands like amavel, ank rouge, secret honey, etc but I have no idea what they would be categorized as.

Fairy kei and sweet lolita mesh well, and my nanchatte wardrobe has some overlap with the aforementioned brand/styles...blouses are also switched around between styles

I have a few normie clothes left...just a few skirts and sweaters though.

I stopped buying them and then just phased them out when they got too old
>>
Outside of lolita, I like miniskirts and natural waisted loose jeans and shorts with fluffy chiffon blouses. I usually wear loafers or heels. I don't know if that has a name, or if it's just extra casual himekaji. I like liz lisa but I only have a few skirts and dresses from them.
I only have one lolita specific blouse, the rest are very versatile. I try to make sure that even if the styles are different, a lot of pieces still work together. Meaning, I try to keep the colors and aesthetic similar. Which isn't too difficult.
My go-to "normie" outfit is jeans, tshirt, hoodie, vans. I tuck my shirt in and cuff my jeans so it looks more intentional but eh. There's situations every now and then where I'd rather not attract attention, so I just use that opportunity to wear my cute tshirts.
Just going through and saying "do I really ever wear this?" and donating the stuff I don't every 3 months or so. I also stopped buying fast fashion.
I'm a sucker for tshirts, but I just wear them to sleep or lazy at home, so a lot of them just sit in my closet. I can't make myself get rid of them since they all are special somehow.
>>
I'm slowly moving from tomboyish thriftstore clothes to lolita, fairykei, menhera, and pastel goth. i have no fucking clue what i'm doing, i dont know shit about coordinating anything when im used to just throwing on jeans and a tshirt
>>
>>8865389
A-anon... I know exactly what you mean.
I just wanna stop being such greasy tomboy. Don't know where to start.

>the edgy years were cruel
>>
>>8865400
Im even slightly still attached to my edgelord clothes. i wore them so much.

Maybe just.. pick one style and buy one outfit from it? then turf a shit outfit.
>>
>>8865408
I've done that, felt ridiculous, dove into my jeans-and-tee and felt sorry for myself for the rest of the day.
I just feel so ugly when I enter a normie store, even ones known (on /cgl/) for having cute clothes suited for gyaru and otome. I see aaaaall those things that would make a gorgeous outfit but I can't see myself in them. I need to work on that more.

TOMORROW. I WILL buy some cute clothes maybe, I have some money left.

>ITT: how to break out the edgy chrysalis as a kawaii entity
>>
>>8865521
I believe in you, anon!
You can become the kawaii.
>>
Lolita (mostly classic/sweet)
Otome (mostly sweet ETC style)
A little bit of Mori
Some Nanchatte-inspired outfits
Fortunately they're not so wildly different. I can use many of the same pieces for sweet lolita and otome, and I often wear a combination of sweet/classic tartan lolita pieces in nanchatte-inspired otome outfits (if that makes sense? idek)
Mori probably differs the most and I must admit I wear it the least, even if it's comfy as heck. I guess it's because I rarely have time to go out and buy clothes IRL as opposed to online. I find it difficult to buy mori online because with nearly every piece I think I ought to be able to sew/thrift something like it myself, but then I never get around to it. At least with lolita I long ago stopped kidding myself that I'd ever be able to source a lolita wardrobe from thrift stores, haha

Yup, for work and days where I truly can't be bothered/don't want to get anything dirty.
I just let it happen naturally. Every two years or so I donate clothes to charity, and anything I didn't wear in those two years goes in the box. I have some normal clothes that are my absolute go-to's for lazy days so it's generally easy to decide what stays and what needs to go.

One day I'll have replaced most of my non-formal-occasion normie wardrobe with comfy mori. One day. I do enough rolling around in the forest on lazy days so I might as well dress the part.
>>
>>8865389
The key to starting is to pick a daily "set" to work off of! If you try to make every coord an original masterpiece, you'll never have enough versatility to wear the style everyday. Yours right now is probably jeans and a tshirt. What do you think is a comfortable and basic look for everyday? For pastel goth/menhera, I'd personally do:
>tshirt
>short shorts
>light cardigan
>thigh socks
>lavender, pink, black
Start with these basics, then you can add in skirts and jackets and blouses or different colors.
Obviously your basic "set" doesn't have to be that, though. You might prefer pencil skirts and crop tops. Just look for things you like and you should grow into it. Make sure to get your basics down before fancy investments, so you can actually wear them.
>>
I wear different types of lolita fashion, natural-kei, and dabble in pop-kei.
A lot of my accessories for lolita can work with my natural-kei wardrobe and vice-versa. It's the pop-kei stuff that always end up standing out a bit. I tend to wear a lot of those items casually too since they mostly consist of graphic tees, sweaters, and hoodies. They're also easier to wash, so I can justify purchasing them.

The natural-kei stuff was something I accumulated really quickly because it's easy to purchase a bunch of vintage pieces in bulk. I want to get some Physical Drop next!
>>
>>8864767
>What styles did you pick
I went easymode and decided to do toned-down himekaji and a couple of other similar styles for daily wear. I also wear lolita, but I tend to leave full coords for cons and wear the pieces individually for daily wear. I sometimes wear it to work and nobody bats an eyelid.
>Do you still have normie clothes
Yes, tons. I wear them better now, though, and I wear more shorts and skirts than just jeans. I've found how easy it is to look good in normie clothes when you know how to piece together a jfash outfit, most of the time jewellery, Korean-style makeup and some effort with hair will make you look completely different and way more put together.
>How did you downsize your normie clothes collection
I didn't, kek. I still have it, but the new clothes I buy are mostly himekaji or occasionally rokku, and they work well enough with my normie wardrobe for me not to really care about whittling it down.

Changing my wardrobe was a really slow process that suddenly became way easier once I started working and had my own money to spend. I was always a tomboy but I had no idea how to wear cute clothes without looking like a freak, so I started wearing cute normie tops and bought some shorts and suddenly I was comfortable enough to buy a bunch of Liz Lisa and lolita and went on from there. Rokku is one of my favorite styles to wear on nights out, even if it's toned down to the point of not being gyaru it's still enough to turn heads (though I live in the normiest of neighbourhoods, if I lived somewhere with a larger amount of people than cows I don't think it'd have quite the same effect, lol) and it satisfies my inner 13yo edgy self when I go out looking like Nana. I've also started wearing more wigs, which is a blessing, because my hair is a pain to deal with sometimes. I feel so cringey just typing this out, but wearing this sort of stuff has been my weeby dream since forever so I don't think I can make it sound less cringe than it is, lol.
>>
>>8865389
>>8865400

>Skincare
Basic routine of cleanser, toner, moisturiser, plus sunscreen and spot treatment if you need it. It makes a massive difference. For hair, either wax or thread, don't shave. Do it often and it will hurt so much less.
>Makeup
Basic Korean style makeup is a godsend. It's simple and clean and you can play around with eyes and lips enough for it not to look samey. Go to Superdrug or Boots or whatever the equivalent is in your country and spend a couple of hours rubbing things on your wrists. If it feels greasy or cakey, ditch it. BB cream and light foundations (plus CC cream if you need to colour correct your skin) are best to start with. After that, get a light blush, some brown eyeliner and mascara, pale pink/peach lipstick and lipgloss, concealer, and a good nude palette. That's it, really. It sounds like a lot but it shouldn't cost you much and it'll last. Try to wear it at least once a week, if only so you get to practice putting it on. Even wearing a tiny bit of blush and lipgloss will go a long way towards making you feel kawaii.
>Clothes
Shorts are the best place to start. Get some well-fitting denim ones that won't attract much attention, get used to showing leg, and wear them as often as you can bring yourself to. Get chiffon/graphic tops and colourful shorts. Add bracelets, earrings and hairclips. Go for bolder necklaces rather than really subtle ones. Brown wedges go with nearly everything, get a few with cute patterns and some nice sandals until you're comfortable enough to wear heels. Get see-through socks and tights.
Wear print dresses and plain skirts, it's easier to coord them that way. Aim for pastels and a couple of black pieces for more formal wear. Try not to go longer than mid-calf, aim for knee-length.
>Hair
Braids and messy buns look good with most of these styles and are easy to perfect. More outlandish styles work, but these are better to start with.

Good luck!
>>
File: 20e.gif (302 KB, 288x278) Image search: [Google]
20e.gif
302 KB, 288x278
>>8866380
Thank you so much, kind Anon!
I hope you have a marvelous day!
>>
File: 1311660762001.png (48 KB, 478x600) Image search: [Google]
1311660762001.png
48 KB, 478x600
>>8866666
Fucking checked you Kawaii fuck :3
>>
Anyone here share closets with varying styles with someone? My sister and I are basically the same size, but she wears gothic/vkei while I like the cutesy lolita/himekaji stuff. It's nice when we want to switch styles we can just grab stuff from the other's closet.

That being said:
Do you gulls think it's worth it to buy doubles of an outfit/piece? We've never bothered before, but there were times where we both wanted a piece and bought one to save money, but in a way we both felt we wanted our own.
>>
>>8868259
>Do you gulls think it's worth it to buy doubles of an outfit/piece?
I'd say if you guys wanted different colors ways of something (e.g. she wanted the black colorway of a dress while you wanted the light blue one), then go for it. If it's the same piece and the same colorway, then just get one unless you guys plan on twinning.
>>
>>8864767

I mostly wear nanchatte. I have a moderately large lolita wardrobe (about 25 main pieces), although I wear full-lolita just at meets. I own some roma gyaru and otome OPs too, but I rarely feel like wearing them.

I didn't. Very few items in my wardrobe are interchangeable. I just maintain different wardrobes.

Some. When I am not wearing nanchatte, I usually wear clothes I bought in normie stores, but my style is generally very influenced by j-fashion in a way I can't even fully understand. It always looks more similar to those Harajuku fashion shots than normie clothes. Perhaps it is because my shoes are all chunky.

I do not feel like I need to downsize it. I just tend to buy fewer normie pieces than j-fashion ones.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.