[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Biggest Cosplay Pet Peeve?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 15
File: Black.jpg (80 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
Black.jpg
80 KB, 960x640
What's your biggest pet peeve when it comes to cosplay?
What bothers you more than anything in the cosplay industry, that multiple cosplayers seem to do?

Example:
My biggest pet peeve is when cosplayers take "sexy" bed photos in cosplays(characters) that are in armor or fighting gear, or just look out of place because of the characters personality. I don't mind if people want sexy bed photos, but if you are dressed as a warrior or something it seems so out of place! Plus, wouldn't you much rather have a badass photo of yourself in an action shot, rather than looking awkward on some bedroom setup that 500 other cosplayers have used? IDK, it just really bothers me!
>>
>>8857110
Sexy bed photos are cringe and awkward enough as it is, but an ex-friend of mine did a bunch of Mememe ones on a clearly hotel bed. Nothing is worse than trying to be sexy and seeing something out of place in the cosplay, like having it in a bad room or out of place items in the background.
>>
>>8857120

Ultimate example of this was a horrifically cringeworthy set of Homestuck cosplayers who did a shibari rope fetish shot in their messy hotel room. So cringe.
>>
>>8857110
People whinging about what other people do and not just minding their own business and tending to their own cosplay goals/creations. Just do your cosplays, be as good as you can be and don't worry about what others are doing so much that you have to bitch about them.
>>
>>8857335
/thread
>>
I love how videos are becoming a bigger part of cosplay but a good chuck of the videos being released have the camera move more than the cosplayers.

We're getting the same static poses but now in 360 pans
>>
>>8857335
Sounds like you should take your own advice and stop "whinging".
>>
>>8857331

And you didn't post a picture of this why?
>>
Sameface make up, super done-up looks for characters that canonically wear little to/no make up.
>>
>>8858190
Agreed. My favourite cosplayers vary their makeup to suit the character. When cosplaying kids I think it's best if people make it look like they're not wearing make up at all.
>>
When people poke out the lenses in glasses. I get they're trying to avoid the reflection and all, but it looks more fake that way.
>>
>>8858190
Agree 100%
Also the cosplayer not knowing any trigger discipline is always a big one.
>>
File: fdkiwdG[1].jpg (748 KB, 1885x2513) Image search: [Google]
fdkiwdG[1].jpg
748 KB, 1885x2513
Fucking up cosplays by not wearing a petticoat.
>>
>>8859194
I bet you didn't even play that game, you only know who she is because "muh lolita churicter!1"
>>
File: Agitha.png (159 KB, 200x461) Image search: [Google]
Agitha.png
159 KB, 200x461
>>8859204
construction wise, a petticoat would have helped this a lot, though? and holy shit, it's loz, it's not that obscure
on a similar subject, sad deflated ballgown-style costumes without any underpinnings to actually make the right shape
>>
>>8858966
>the cosplayer not knowing any trigger discipline
oh god this hurts me so and I'm not even into guns
>>
>>8859204
>g-g-get out lolitas
>you don't get my deep zelda lore and annie mays
It's Twilight Princess for fucks sake. Why do a lolita inspired character when you can't even grasp the most basic thing about lolita?

This isn't about just petticoats and the shape, though. The cosplay is really poorly made overall and really could've benefited from a bell shape, amongst a million other things. A shame because she's definitely cute.
>>
-hoop skirts without a petticoat
-not covering tattoos with makeup
-people not combing their wigs before a photoshoot
-photographers charging for shoots but not having enough basic knowledge about editing to shoop out stray wig hairs

i'm really autistic about stray wig hairs in photos
>>
>>8860256
Why do people care about this with toy guns? I've always wondered.
>>
>>8860647
imagine someone cosplaying a character that uses swords and them holding the sword by the blade in photos.
yeah, its a fake sword, cosplay looks good, but because they held it wrong they just look retarded/out of character for every photo.
>>
>>8860647
>cosplaying a character with years of military experience in the show
>ruin it by not practising trigger discipline
>>
File: 1400118984726.jpg (20 KB, 300x188) Image search: [Google]
1400118984726.jpg
20 KB, 300x188
>>8860760
>its as easy as lifting a fucking finger and people still dig their heels in about it
>>
>>8860647
Because the character should think their guns are "real". Because the character shouldn't be an idiot about their own weapons. BECAUSE THIS IS EASY TO UNDERSTAND.
>>
>>8860256
>photographer
>try to instruct cosplayers who are supposed to know about guns on how to hold the damn thing
>it doesn't work
>ever
>>
>>8860813
Okay except in a lot of anime, character don't practise trigger discipline because gun control in japan means these people have never been taught how to handle a gun. Then many cosplayers, also living in countries with strict gun control, just mimic the characters they're cosplaying, not thinking twice about that because they have never been taught how to hold a gun will never touch a gun or see a gun in real life so it is not something they consider.
I practise trigger discipline with my gun wielding cosplays only because I've seen it bitched about on here, if I did not frequent /cgl/, I would copy my anime and have my finger on the trigger because I never have and probably never will encounter a gun in real life outside of museum displays, in my country.
For american cosplayers, I understand the anger, for cosplayers in countries with strict gun control, then I don't think people should be getting so mad.
>>
>>8860859
if someone puts a shit ton of effort into their cosplay, and fails to lift a fucking finger I don't care if they are from outer space, they've come this far they might as well put in the extra research to learn how to lift a fucking finger
>>
>>8857331
oh jesus, bondagestuck. i had a couple of friends involved with that and the guy who started it pestered me for years to do it but it all seemed after dark levels of rapey.
>>
>>8857110
SHOES ON THE BED SHOES ON THE BED
FUCKING NO
SHOES ARE DIRTY
WHY ARE YOU EVEN WEARING THEM INSIDE
FUCK
>>
my biggest peeve is definitely just cosplayers who pretty much drop cosplay all together and just do gross "boudoir" shoots with maybe a wig now and then. I'm even seeing some cosplayers on my feeds just doing normal clothes shoots even though they're at a con?? I don't care if you do that shit on your own time but why the fuck are you even here.
>>
>sailor suit versions of x character
>bunny suits versions of x character
>lolita versions of x character
>>
Cosplayers who call people who like their page 'fans'. It just sounds so elitist and makes them seem up them self.
>>
When a cosplayer only cosplays to show off their boobs.

Sorry, having tiddies arent a skill that you had to slave away for days learning to perfect.
Theres nothing to admire skill wise.
>>
>>8861906
this fucking triggers me too
full sjw rage mode at shoes on the bed
>>
Not ironing the costume. Holy hell, I've seen so many otherwise good costumes just come off sloppy as hell because of this.
Also, even if you don't want to wear make up, at the very least wear a mattifyer. Its colorless and keeps you from looking like a greaseball in photos.
>>
>>8864686
>having tiddies arent a skill that you had to slave away for days learning to perfect.
>Theres nothing to admire skill wise.

Yup. They're also paving the way for the next tits to take their place as soon as they look a little tired, get over exposed, say something inexcusably shitty, or just stop pushing pushing pushing to promote constantly.

People like your tits. Not you. Not anything you do.
New tits will take your place and not look back.

>>8864774
>Not ironing the costume

huge peeve of mine too. I just saw some Powerpuff girls with ball gowns on and they were decently nice but wrinkled to hell and back.

Why bother dressing up if you're going to slop it up?
>>
mine is people who make tons of cosplans and never do any of them. ever. please, you have over 100 plans and 5 cosplays, just do some of them already and stop adding onto the pile of shit youll never do.
>>
>>8858190
>Anzujaamu's Mako

>>8864634
adding onto this:
>bikini versions of x character
>lingerie versions of x character
>slave versions of x character

>>8865074
>People like your tits. Not you. Not anything you do.
JNig is 100% guilty of this. Yaya is a little less guilty but still guilty of this.
>>
>>8864634

>Deadpool version of x character

A shame as I like the recent movie but it paves the way for even more of Deadpool at cons
>>
>>8865157
I'm absolutely not ready for the wave of Deadpools that will show up at every con this year and harass people because it's "funny".
>>
>>8865159

No kidding, if anything I'm not ready for the flood of Harley Quinn's after the movie comes out
>>
>>8865170
Seeing all the shitty Harley attention whores is gonna be hella annoying too but at least they aren't going to be obnoxious because omglmaosofunnyXD like 99% of Deadpools.
>>
>>8860256
I am into guns and this doesn't hurt me. Especially with obviously fake guns. Why does anyone care if you're already a fictitious green haired 12 year old from a robot anime? It's not like we're setting any standards for realism.
>>
>>8865618
Ammending this to say that military characters are kind of different, but if you're posing for pictures with a purple future gun, who cares if you've got your finger in the trigger.
>>
>>8865618
I'm not even into guns, but when I learned to shoot, I was told to treat anything gun shaped like a actual gun and handle it as such. I'm a white woman, so it's not like the police are going to shoot me on sight, but the reason stated was safety around other people who (potentially) know what they're doing. Maybe my instructor was crazy.
>>
>>8865756
>maybe my instructor was crazy
Your instructor was 100% right. It's the same as considering a gun as always being loaded and pointing it in a safe direction at all times.
It is a bit silly for non-gun objects, but treating a prop like the actual object still looks better. The 'holding a sword by the blade' someone posted earlier is a good example.
>>
>>8864683
What else are they supposed to call them? I think making a name for your fanbase is worse than calling people just fans.
>>
>>8865856
take a line from twitter and call them followers
it's neutral af
>>
>>8857331
hawt as f
>>
>>8857110
>>8857120
It's just people dressing up in fun costumes. They dont have to be on a set guys. Can't people just have fun without you butting in with your elitist attitude?
>>
>>8865966
this is my pet peeve.
>>
>>8865966
it's not people "having fun" though. The people who do these shoots try to sell themselves as a product. They sell prints and try to be that "sexy" cosplayer so more people will follow them.
Sex sells, it's not an unknown thing. If you want to do a sexy photoshoot at least own up to what it is. what is fun about laying on a bed sexily, while some strange man takes photos of you? it's only fun because of the attention that comes afterwards. IMO
>>
>>8866003
Just because they're getting money from it doesn't mean they're not enjoying it. Have you ever done a sexy photo shoot? It's a rush having your picture taken and exposing your body. Shame on you for looking down on what people want to do with their own bodies.
>>
My pet peeve is more of a feel.
It drives me mad that I can't convince my bf to cosplay. He's still my problematic fav but my envy will burn for a thousand suns over cosplay couples
>>
>>8860656
Thanks for this comment! I used to not get why lack of trigger discipline got under people's skin so much, but considering I side-eye people who hold violins the wrong way in cosplay photos, guns are no different. I haven't cosplayed anyone who uses a gun yet, but I'm looking up proper trigger discipline now so I know for the future!
>>
My pet peeve is these super gross trendy armor cosplays that pop up everywhere! If I see one more of these I think I might just snap. All these un-creative or stupid designs, ick.
>>
bikini armor is definitely getting up there in the list of annoyances. same with not trimming wigs or even making an attempt. inb4 "bitter flat chested girl" who's sick of boobs being at the center of said bikini armor.
>>
File: box.jpg (38 KB, 221x421) Image search: [Google]
box.jpg
38 KB, 221x421
>>8866226
lel
>>
I'm hating that glued hairline thing people do when they are too lazy for a lacefront when dealing with an exposed/wacky hairline. It is so easy to fuck up really badly, I just want it to go away.
>>
>>8866022
Welcome to the real world. People judge other people, since the beginning of time. You judge my opinion about sexy bed shoots because its something you enjoy doing, maybe I would judge someone else's opinion on something because I enjoy doing it.
If you truly enjoy something, just do it. Who cares what other people think, but don't come to a thread about pet peeves and try to act holier than thou. Not everyone is going to see eye to eye.
>>
My pet peeves are the following:
-Cosplayers who do not iron their cosplay...where you can see tons of wrinkles everywhere.

-Cosplayers who do not bother to style their wig (when it needs to be) or wears it all tangled up and horrible. Or even cosplaying a character using their normal hair when it looks nothing like it.

-But one of my biggest pet peeves is not even attempting to wear any makeup. Now some people have good skin or some can do okay with no makeup....but in reality most cosplayers need to be wearing it for cosplay. it just makes photos come out so much better. I feel that a cosplayer with no makeup can ruin a perfectly good crafted cosplay due to all that acne and other stuff on their face.
>>
>>8866330
>tfw you just finished styling a wig like this
>>
>>8866330
pics?
>>
>>8866492
malindachan on arda has a whole tut for it. https://arda-wigs.com/easy-glued-hairlines/
>>
File: sonv.jpg (142 KB, 699x615) Image search: [Google]
sonv.jpg
142 KB, 699x615
>when someone mentions how they want to be as famous as Jnig

it's just overall cringe in general
especially when cows mention this
>>
>>8866576
holy shit belongs in cringe thread
>>
>>8866524
Those are not so bad? I don't mind it. At least the wig is a bit styled, my pet peeve is unstyled wigs.
>>
>>8866576
>>8866614
that girl is fifteen. fifteen years old. she is a child. i feel so much secondhand embarrassment for both of you. fuckin a. its been so long since i've been on cgl and i come here and realize it's a bunch of shitbabies insulting actual children. holy fuck
>>
>>8860880
But most people from countries where guns are not common place like Freedomland would have NO IDEA to look this up. Where would they learn it from? Unless they happened to be gun nerds as well, the likelihood they would ever stumble across this information is really quite low. They have no reason to worry about guns or gun safety like Americans.
>>
>>8866637
Yeah, the only reason I've ever heard about trigger discipline is that I read it on reddit I think. I'd never think of that before.
>>
>>8866633
a lolcow is a lolcow no matter the age, get over yourself you think you're immune to criticism if your still a teenager?
>>
File: superthumb.jpg (16 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
superthumb.jpg
16 KB, 300x250
>>8866633
do you understand what board you are on let alone what website? Teenagers are always going to be made fun of especially if they need to be called out on their bullshit.
>>
>>8866637
I'm not a gun nerd myself. but if I cosplay something I'm going to look up how to properly hold the weapon my character is using. if someone fails to do that, shame on them.
>>
>>8866576
I was fine until "precious bbys". I agree with >>8866633 in a way though. Most fifteen-year-olds are some kind of cringe worthy, so I feel like posting about them isn't really noteworthy. It just reminds me of how grateful I am that I did not frequent social media in my teen years. It's much easier to forget my cringe moments.
"Precious bbys" though? Gurl, you're fifteen, you're still a bby...maybe not a precious one, but whatever.
>>
>>8866576
I hate it when people call other people "precious bbys", it sounds so condescending and infantile and just fucking rude instead of sweet.
>>
Cosplayers who call themselves "plus size" when they aren't even plus size! Just so they can get those BP followers. -__-
>>
File: 2008_Rubies_sup_trooper.jpg (93 KB, 624x986) Image search: [Google]
2008_Rubies_sup_trooper.jpg
93 KB, 624x986
Rubies Stormtrooper armor triggers me for how ugly it is and how expensive it's sold for. And people still buy it instead of a good kit that would probably be cheaper to build and look 100x better if built right.
>>
>>8866685
I wouldn't have known about trigger discipline if I wasn't exposed to it on /cgl/. 2bh, I wouldn't have known that there was a correct way to hold it in the first place, so I wouldn't have bothered researching it realistically. Kind of like how people don't research how to hold swords.
>>
>>8866792
Well, she did give herself the pseudoname chibibaby13 so I would say she's aware of her baby-ness.
>>
>>8857335
>>8860859
>>8866022
My pet peeves are idiots who click on a pet peeves thread not expecting people to be "judgmental" about things other people do.
Then arguing with people of why their pet peeves are wrong.
I dont care if bait, what were all of you expecting?
>>
>terribly blunt cut bangs on wigs
>not thinning out your bangs on the wig

good God can people at least try using a thinning scissors?
>>
Black eyebrows with a colored wig. Especially when it's a light wig. Please color your eyebrows people!
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 564x751) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 564x751
When the hoop skirt of someone's costume isn't long enough so the bottom half of the dress just hangs there off of the hoop. It just looks odd!
>photo related but not too bad, only one I could find right now
>>
>>8872352

Does this annoy you with petticoats in lolita as well? Because while I get annoyed with the bottom of the dress hanging off a hoop in cosplay with lolita I sort of like the way the JSK can 'swish' gently at the bottom.

As for my pet peeves I hate when people forget to colour their eyebrows the same as their wig. This makes watching Game of Thrones so frustrating whenever Daenerys pops up.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 623x472) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 623x472
>>8871392
>>
>slut variants - either bikini females or shirtless males
Pandering and cringey as fuck

>non-anime cosplay or non-Japanese video gaming cosplay at anime cons.
Fuck off with your homestuck, your Steven universe, your faggoty American crap. This is an anime convention.

>giant oversized props
I know they were trying to be impressive, having the big dick of the con but some thought into walking around and getting through doors/elevators and the other people using them would be nice.

>cosplayers in character
Impossible to come off as sane, and healthy human.

>that guy that's been cosplaying the same thing for 10 years because he's old and isn't recognized otherwise
Lookin at you captain jack

>that chick that ruins photos by sticking her tongue out or flipping off the camera
Edgy

>photo bombers
Obnoxious

>group /dances/para para
Just pose, there's no sense in photographing a train wreck

>that cosplayers who's shit is constantly breaking/needing repair and whines
Poor craftsman always blame their tools

>closet cosplayers not understanding why no one recognizes then
Shocker, your ae86 plus white t-shirt didnt quite send the impression "takumi"
>deadpool
Fuck them

>cosplayers unfamiliar with their character .
Why....?

>any board, meme, joke, phrase, or thing to do with this website.
Pepe cosplayers, anon masks, or just plain meme spouters, you know that feeling you get when you suspect people are laughing at you? Well in your case, they are.

And finally

>Jews
>>
>>8866330
>sad because i actually like how glued hairlines look
>>
>>8875305
I don't really pay that much attention to Lolita, so I will say no.
to me it just drives me nuts when the character is supposed to have a giant ballgown and the hoop skirt stops too soon, ruining the illusion!
>>
>>8866226
>>8866281
Ugh, fuck worbla bikinis and their kin. Half of my facebook feed is cosplayers gushing over some mediocre, uninspired bikini armor rendition of Disney Princesses, Sailor Scouts, Eeveelutions, or something equally as basic. I hate them even more then bunny suits at this point.
>>
>>8877914
>if we use the same template on different characters it'll be new and fresh but require no new skills!
>>
>>8875442
You sound like someone who is overly judgmental and would not make a good long-term companion/friend/acquaintance.

Why do you let stuff get to you so much, so easily?
>>
michelle phan make-up tutorials and the white eyeliner on the water line meme. no. your eyes don't look bigger or more anime. you just look like you have white eyeliner on your waterline.
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1500x1500
My biggest pet peve is when an officially licensed company comes out with a 'screen accurate' costume that is not even close yet costs double then what it would to make your own or commission one. Pic related
>>
File: FB_IMG_1456278159100.jpg (62 KB, 1418x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1456278159100.jpg
62 KB, 1418x960
I'm so bothered by this. It is incredibly disappointing to see someone's masks look super great and then see the rest of the outfit look so plain. I'm not a fan of this, Kinpatsu, I'm sorry. Your other work is great bit this is just sad to see from you.
>>
>>8881383
that reminded me of my pet peeve
slutty fucking kindreds etc.
I'm just using kindred bc whooo have I seen some bad ones.
>>
When cosplay's make up pet names for their fans, espECIALLY when they aren't even big. (Fiends, spiders, kittens)

Idk it just makes you sound pretentious as fuck like you employ your own army
>>
>>8879844
What is wrong with it?
>>
>>8881878
I agree with this as well. Lamb has such a beautifully enchanting design, but no one seems to wanna go the distance for her. Really sad. Got excited seeing SunsetDragon attempt it though.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.