[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Artist Alley Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
Old Thread >>8838931

Discuss AA stuff. Out of pic related what are you as when it comes to displays or products? To answer/help keep the ball going, I'm considered a Cubist cause of all the plushies I sell and can be multi-functioned to hang art badges and hang prices
>>
You forgot something.

>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l-9tZn_PaqsZWkb5SB_aqwh7uvURyoLgdsQiuz_Ty08/edit#gid=0
>Taobao/Alibaba services
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14zGSegr0b-429wZq5_xdMbE9hpLcXg8fqqe0OxnU2Yo/edit#gid=0
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>>
Girls and guys please tell me about your experience with other metchants on the Alibaba google docs list apart from Vograce!
PUHLEAaaSE!!
>>
First for Metrocon being shit at AA.
>>
>>8849673
the first three links are the same spread sheet.. when did this happen..
>>
>>8849836
Check again, anon. They're all reading separately for me.
>>
File: woah.png (26 KB, 728x210) Image search: [Google]
woah.png
26 KB, 728x210
>>8849838
can't tell if i'm going crazy or blind
>>
>>8849841
*whoa.

try clearing your cache? they are separate for me.
>>
>>8849673
I'm OP and I didn't do the spreadsheets>>8849673
>>
>>8849900

Yes and? Every artist alley thread is supposed to have the spreadsheets on the first post. Not sure what your comment is supposed to signify.
>>
>>8849813
can you name some you're interested in? there's quite a variety in what they offer and as someone who has used the other merchants, begging for vague information about any number of a variety of merchants isn't exactly convincing me to share my experience.
>>
Anyone else worried about copyright issues if TPP goes through?
>>
>>8850159
no.
>>
>>8849848
wow i never new cache could affect text links o_o, ty
>>
>>8850159
I'm worried about copyright issues even without it
>>
File: tumblr_nwpklaLkiY1r2cf5uo2_250.png (105 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwpklaLkiY1r2cf5uo2_250.png
105 KB, 250x250
What search term would I use for looking for the little stars/hearts/etc. that a lot of people attach to their charms?

I know you can get them on aliexpress or ebay but I don't have a clue on what terms to use.
>>
>>8850356
acrylic beads?
>>
>>8850363

I can't believe it didn't occur to me that they were just beads, I totally thought that they were some specific cell phone strap add on. Thanks!
>>
This is probably a stupid question but I'm a newbie and I'm confused. For Akon, they are telling people to put the hotel address on their sales permits. Is this only for people who have no texas address? I live in texas and I recently got a sales tax permit with my home address for my online store. I'm not certain if my sales tax permit is basically what Akon is asking for. Thank you in advance.
>>
File: doll5.jpg (56 KB, 428x640) Image search: [Google]
doll5.jpg
56 KB, 428x640
Rather odd question. If you worked AA and a BJD owner; have you ever brought your doll and display then on your AA table?

What do people do when they see your doll? Advice on security and cleanliness? etc?
>>
>>8850489
I see a lot of people bring them, it's very important to put a sign to not touch (or photograph if you don't want them photographed) idk how ot prevent them beign stolen other than putting thme behind something, or off the top of my head, add a bell to them or strap them down
>>
>>8850507
I was thinking of doing an FAQ thing on an acrylic frame so it's not so repetitive as well as my AA partner don't know anything about them.
>>
So I managed to scrounge up a single review for jimi acrylic charms.

http://abba-senpai.tumblr.com/post/136199418781/ai-charm-review

This could easily be an isolated experience because as far as I have found, nobody else has remarked at all about the quality of their acrylic, but wow that is not a vote of confidence.
>>
>>8850488
the address for a sales permit is wherever you're going to be selling your goods, so the convention's location is what you'd put.
>>
>>8850488
That's weird because for my San Japan permit I have it under my home address. I live in California.
>>
>>8850489
Put it behind something. I've seen people shriek at the kawaii and try to grab them, I've seen people pawing at the doll's clothes and hair, and I've seen a sad amount of people ask if the doll was for sale when there was a huge 'NOT FOR SALE' sign just by the doll.
However, I think that if you're going to bring a doll to a con you should make use of it. Dress it in cosplay, pose it next to small easily missed items, put a table of prices next to it, etc. It's attention grabbing, use it to your advantage.
>>
>>8849646
Are charm makers on holiday or something...? contacted chillypig and acornpress about a charm order about a week ago and still not reply. Has anybody ordered off them and gotten similar delays in communication...?
>>
>>8850827
It's Chinese new year yo
>>
>>8850862
yeah, and that's why i'm going for american based charm makers.....? neither of them have anything on their sites or social media about being close for chinese new year.
>>
>>8850489
I use to bring mine to sit at my table with me, but it got annoying FAST. People tried to touch her and kept asking to buy her and some people wouldn't take "she's not for sale" for an answer and kept pressuring me. Then people would only stop to see the doll and not what was actually for sale because they "want one but can't afford it".

Mine was dressed up as my mascot that was my on my banner. Security was an issue too. I didn't want to leave her alone even with my helpers so I started taking her to the bathroom with me. It was just a hassle...
>>
>>8850681
Woah, so even if you have a tx sales permit already, you have to get a temporary sales permit? Damn I'm screwed...
>>
>>8850827
you get what you pay for, product and service it seems lol
>>
>>8850827
Haha.. what if they're actually just resellers of vograce and charging people to be a middleman service.
>>
>>8851108
while it might not be vograce, they're basically the middle man for some other korean or chinese service so... i mean no one thought they actually made the things right? the whole point was they're the middle man?
>>
>>8850827
Ahhh I've been busy with Katsucon rush orders. Can you toss me another email? Or did you place an order? There's actually a few people who placed orders who haven't been responding to my emails so.. I'm wondering if they accidentally put the wrong address.

>>8851113
I.. absolutely print our charms. Don't know about the other companies!
>>
>>8851216
Oop, should've clarified that I'm Acorn Press I guess.
>>
>>8851220
So, I fucked up and need charms by the 23rd. Is that within the timeframe of making/shipping? Or am I just SOL?
>>
>>8851300
It's.. pushing it pretty close, I wouldn't want to guarantee anything at that rate. But, there's still a possibility. It all depends on the size of your order and what other orders come in this weekend and where you end up on the queue and so forth. Remember, we can save a few days by shipping directly to the hotel, if that helps. (This is all assuming you're US; if you're international then.. yeah, SOL. International shipping is an unpredictable mess.)
>>
I have a question for resin anons as I know some of you sell resin jewelry on AA.
I was about to buy the Pebeo Crystal Resin Kit as it's the easiest to get my hands on for now. But I live in a small flat with no good ventilation, no workshop is available. My (super safety conscious) Dad who has been fibreglassing for years insists I'll need a respirator or at least a face mask to use resin in doors. Is this true?
>>
>>8851313
Thanks bunches! It should be a relatively small order. I'll probably just go ahead and place it and try my luck. I'm staying with some friends so I'll see if they're cool with that possibility. Appreciate it!
>>
>>8851331

Not saying that nobody will have an answer for you here, but there's actually a resin thread already up that you'll probably get more answers in.

>>8846859
>>
>>8851336
Ahh thanks anon, silly me not looking past page 1.
>>
>>8850866
My bad, I don't use them and I didn't know they were American. Maybe they're just busy...?
>>
>>8851216
(Original OP) I have realize I give wrong email address for my order. I will be sending a new order soon (I have also just realized I need to update my designs.) I am sorry.
>>
where's the best place to order print outs of my shitty artwork.
I'm a newfag at all this pls dont kill me
>>
>>8851441
newfag or not you should have the braincells to actually read the thread before you post. literally first reply to this thread is a link to resources, including where to print.
>>
>>8851441
i was going to yell at you for not checking the resources link in the second post, but i realized it doesn't specifically mention prints

someone should fix that

i personally recommend catprint
>>
>>8851445
?
>>
What do you guys think about 'kawaii' artists? I feel like every convention has at least one, usually multiple, who seem to all be selling the exact same fucking stop (everything has a :3 face, food x animal hybrids galore, maybe if they're a little edgy some pantsu or shit)

Obviously they sell well or there wouldn't be so many of them, but do they annoy you? do you buy from them?
>>
>>8851463
I think they have cute and usually decently-made items, but they really do blend in after a while. None of them seem to do anything different. Having said that, if one of them offered something that wasn't kawaii doughnuts uwuing at me, I'd be interested and would probably end up buying it. Something like a towel, or something similarly useful, would be a massive draw. I buy from them sometimes, but only if I think the work is decent and/or it's their first con and they could do with the encouragement (provided the craftsmanship is good enough for me to justify the price). They only really annoy me when the vendors try to shill their products and throw in 'Nyaaa~' and other weeby shit to draw in the crowd, or make a point of mentioning how much cheaper their X is to someone's Y. It never works, so you'd think they'd learn, but I guess not.
>>
>>8851463
They really just blend together to me. The only one I can even remember the name of is Hip Hop Candy (since I will usually buy their perfumes). I mean if it works for them good for them but its like the perler epidemic.
>>
File: tumblr_mcj76a6wKF1qc2j40o1_500.jpg (28 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mcj76a6wKF1qc2j40o1_500.jpg
28 KB, 500x446
Who else just realized mycons lists all our addresses publicly through their system?
>>
>>8850985
I don't think you have to get a second one? I'm pretty sure the posting your originally referring to was intended for people who didn't have a permit already. Not sure if you just need to update your current one or something but I think as long as you have one that's fine. I'm not from TX but hopefully some other anons might know.
>>
>>8851463
I'm actually getting really tired of this animal/food hybrid stuff.
>>
>>8851600
My hatred for myconsonline only ever grows with time.
>>
>>8851683
It's the cheap and easy way to be kawaii
>>
>>8851450
Not OP, but I do think this part of the spreadsheet should be updated. Can some anons add some reviews to the services without pros and cons?
>>
>>8851697
i'm surprised there isn't MORE drama ala sea bunny over 'you stole my totally original design!!'. the number of icecream narwhales, coffee cats, and 'bun' bunnies....

>>8851698
I would like this too, and I am wondering if It would be okay to add services for other regions (i.e australia).
>>
>>8850489
just don't bring it
>>
Just got back from a one day con. I expected there to be, maybe, 500 max.
There were about 2,000

It is so great when you bet on a small con, and it ends up being huge.
>>
>>8851710
People like animals, and everyone eats, it's an easy way to appeal to the masses.

I've seen at least 4 different narwhale/food designs released in the past two years. Oh well, more for MoogleGurl to bitch about.
>>
>>8851220
Did you guys fix the see through in your double sided charms yet?
>>
>>8851851
I want to make really bad animalxfood mashups just to fuck with this trend. Like, a spider with french fry legs or a kawaii panda tub of mayonnaise. Shit no one wants.
>>
>>8851902
>a spider with french fry legs
I want that.
>>
>>8851946
>>8851902
burger spider with french fry legs. and its face is ::::3
>>
Could someone give me advice on where to buy buttons? What do you guys use for ordering?
I would buy my own machine but I don't think I can afford that right now since I have to get printing for it as well.
>>
>>8851503
Didn't hhcandy close down? I loved her scents as well.

>>8851473
I'm so tired of the :3 food and food/animal trend. It looks so lazy to me.
>>
>>8851984
I don't mind stupid questions, but stupid and entitled questions are annoying. read the thread and the resource doc before you ask for generic advice. In addition to the ones on the doc, vograce also does buttons (but they're closed for chinese new year, if you needed them before mid march)
>>
>>8851848
Was this FusionCon?
>>
Question for people with button makers - what kind of paper yields the best results, matte or glossy? It's going to have the Mylar over it anyway, but if it's printed on glossy, would that be way too much gloss? I could really appreciate some input!
>>
>>8852175
Nope, Annicon.
>>
Is Akon not a very good con for a first timer? I asked some people if I should apply and they basically told me to stop taking experienced and more deserving people's tables. It's jury so my chance of getting in is slim anyway but I'm scared to even apply for a table haha.
>>
I was at ALA and the AA was awesome. One thing though, I went with fujoshit friends and they had their pick of any yaoi sports/jojo/shounen shit. I wanted to pick up waifu merch (homuhomu) but I only found a couple artists who drew madoka magica and the few who did had really low skill. Do fujoshits really spend more money than neckbeards in AA? I always figured neckbeards would blow tons of cash on waifu art/gear.

Another suggestion, though I'm sure it's been said before, I love printed novelties!! I have plenty of prints and phone charms but I adore the different novelties like microfiber clothes, underwear, tiny statues or whatever they're called.
>>
>>8852570
That just sounds really bitchy. If it's jury then you'll get chosen if they think you deserve it. You just have to be prepared and be confident in what you're selling.
>>
Sent application for AKON, that was much more stressful than I really needed it to be.
>>
>>8852570
Jesus christ, who says that to a person's face?
I don't know anything about it not being good for a first timer, but it's hardly a juried alley, anon. They're still taking the first few second applicants, and just throwing out any that don't meet the requirements. MAYBE they might exclude a couple in order to get variety this year, but even that isn't a guarantee. I'd hardly consider it a jury.
If you haven't applied by now, it's too late. IIRC last year they sold out in under 10 seconds.

>>8852226
Go with matte paper.

>>8852580
There's just more fujoshit at cons then there are neckbeard or /a/ types, especially at a con like ALA.
Generally, the latter would do the majority of their purchasing online, and directly from Japan, so they're less likely to show up at a con to buy things.
Fujoshits tend to love tumblr fanart and cosplaying and surrounding themselves with other fujoshits, so they're more likely to be at a con and more likely to spend.

>and the few who did had really low skill
S-sorry
>>
>>8851953
>::::3
Kek, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
>>8852580
I think that it's partly because of the popular animes now, which are mostly boy-heavy sports animes that involve shirts being taken off. There's going to be another Madoka film, so when we get more news about that there'll be another surge in popularity.
And I tend to see neckbeards going more for official (or official-looking bootlegs) merch of their waifus, though that might just be the ones I've run into at cons. Maybe their waifus just aren't fanservicey enough in fan merch, idk.
>>
>>8852591
That is a really good point about the differing level of social activity. Curse these elitist fanboys for not supporting independent artists.

Ahh Pixel, did you have Madoka merch at ALA? I really liked your style but got too shy to say hello and browse your merch. I would have totally bought something!

>>8852594
You're right, hopefully the movie attracts more attention to the franchise.
>>
>>8851902
>>8851946
>>8851953
Anon if you ever go through with this, please let us know.
>>
I'll be tabling at a con that provides a backdrop/wall for us, but I won't know how the backdrop looks until I get there. I'm afraid it'll be an ugly old thing with old tape stuck all over it. Anyone know of a decent way to cover it (preferably in black)? Fabric is the only easy way I can think of but how do you even attach prints to that?
>>
File: burgerantula.png (71 KB, 400x385) Image search: [Google]
burgerantula.png
71 KB, 400x385
>>8852626
>>8852594
>>8851953
kawaii
>>
One more question for people with button makers what is a good paper for button, as in weight wise. I tried 100lb to experiment but that was way too thick, I'm thinking 20lb paper will suffice but I want to hear other's input before I fuck up anymore buttons
>>
>>8852697
Omg anon that was MY idea!
How. Dare. You.

But in all seriousness that actually is pretty cute...
>>
>>8852697
I hate spiders so much but this is so cute, I need it.
>>
i don't see it on the google doc but i remember a bunch of you were getting your displays from a certain website? like they offered acrylic, wire, and wooden display cases / shelving stuff?

i have small figures so i wanted a wooden, tiered shelving thing for displaying

also! do any of you go anywhere to have pouches made or do you mostly just get fabric printed with your design and make the pouches yourself?

thanks!
>>
I want to sell some stuff at a local con next year. Would I need a business license?
>>
>>8852754
If by pouches you mean the cosmetic bags / zippered bags they're from arts bovine.
>>
>>8852761
this is so vague and therefore incredibly unhelpful for anyone who might try to be helpful. i'm assuming by 'local' you mean 'american' and 3 seconds of googling tells me certain states require sellers permits for artist alleys. You're unlikely to be the first person ever to sell at this particular con, so I would ask directly for advice from people who have tabled there before (or at cons in the same state).

>>8852722
Ah, but I added the french fry legs.... (I joke, full credit to you, It just sounded like a fun idea for a doodle)

>>8852730
haha, I do too, but it's hard for anything with a (:::) :3 to be scary.
>>
>>8852769I want to sell lolita headpieces, accessories, and maybe a few jsks. It's asmall convention here in florida, the dealer'sroom is only open on Saturday. I tried to Google some information and ask around, including a friend that is the art director of another local con, and I keep getting mixed answers.
>>
>>8852793
Did you make these things yourself, or are you reselling? Secondhand JSKs or brand new?
>>
>>8852761
You are suppose to, but don't really need to. You don't have to worry about it unless you plan on going big.
>>
>>8852793
What Florida con only has dealers for one day?
>>
>>8852801
The accessories are mostly handmade, aside from some necklaces and bracelets from japan. The jsks would be second hand.
>>
>>8852805
Some small thing that's only been around for a year or so. I went last year, but I'm not going this year due to other plans. Not sure if it'll be different or not.
>>
>>8852830
Can you tell me the name please?
>>
>>8852754
Might be http://cleardisplays.com/

Friend of mine who does figures/plush made their own collapsible cardboard stands for portability, might be worth considering depending on your situation too.
>>
>>8851902
Clump of ramen noodles with :3 face, no visible form just a clump, instant ramen octopus.
>>
>>8852754
It's incredibly easy to make zippered pouches at home, you don't need to order those in bulk.
>>
>>8852706
Use presentation matte paper. The Epson 27 lb of it is pretty great.
>>
>>8852830
Is it Amelia con?
>>
>>8853310
No, I've never heard of that one. Where in florida is that?
>>
Why?
>>
>>8853351
It's was this weekend off Amelia Island. It's also a three day con but they only have the dealers up on Saturday. It's actually a pretty decent small con.
>>
Is 120gsm paper too thin to make A3 prints from?
>>
>>8853703
assuming you mean text, that's roughly 80lb. It'd say that's borderline. I once got a bunch of prints misprinted at 80lb text instead of 100lb and i couldn't bring myself to give it to customers. it's basically one step above printer paper and if it were an a4 it might be okay, but a3 it's very.. borderline imo.
>>
Hi guys, me again with my weird-lookin' OPM chibis. I finished Tatsumaki and Mumen Rider, and took in all your feedback and made the colours softer and varied some line depth.

Feedback please? Also, I'd like to actually make an A3 print of these to sell altogether because they're really cute, do you think it might work?
>>
File: _OPM chibis.jpg (180 KB, 969x594) Image search: [Google]
_OPM chibis.jpg
180 KB, 969x594
>>8853756
Aaaand dropped my pic, sorry!
>>
>>8853762
There's a lack of fundamental understanding of depth going on here. The colors look a lot better, but your lines still leave a lot left to be desired. Line weight goes beyond arbitrarily making some places thicker than others. They should (usually) be thicker where shadows are deeper.

I guess for what it is it isn't bad, and I know people will eat these up, so maybe I'm being too harsh.
>>
>>8851895
We've definitely improved, but I honestly don't know how we compare to other companies at this point since.. I've always printed my own stuff! There's still visibility when held up to the light and with extremely high contrast colors.

I wish it was as simple as "just pile on more white ink until it looks good" but that brings other problems, namely that white ink is thicker and has more texture to it and b-side printing onto that texture can lose some crispness/quality.
>>
>>8853756
I really think these work better as charms or stickers. If you were to make them into prints, I think it could look cute as an A3 one, or as a postcard. I wouldn't go any bigger than that though.
Congrats on the improvement, btw! I agree with >>8853803 but you're getting there, trace over your chibis and vary the line weight to see what makes them stand out.
>>
>>8853762
I think these are very well drawn and cute! I'd definitely buy these as stickers or a postcard. It would be best if you did a postcard if you want to do a print.
>>
>>8853762
Consider coloring in your lines so that they match the color underneath (like making the lines on Tatsumaki's hair and Mumen rider's beanie a dark shade of green). It'll take away the harshness of the lines that isn't seen on other areas of the characters that are darker.
>>
Anyone have an idea on where to get these that won't cost $15 to ship to the US? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Self-Adhesive-Peel-Seal-Plastic-Display-Bags-Jewellery-Craft-9-x-6cm-/121188168929
>>
>>8849646
I've been absent from these threads for a while so I hope what I'm asking hasn't already been answered.

I'm applying for the Disney College Program and am wondering if I should put artist alley in my work experience, knowing how Disney is with copyrights. I don't sell anything Disney and the only Western thing I have fanart of is Avatar. Do you think "selling my own original artwork as well as interpretations of Japanese media for taxable sale" sounds bad to them? Do they care about the copyright well-being of entities that aren't themself?

>tfw I'm still new to AA and have very few original works for sale but still put it first in resumes
>>
Anyone in here have much experience with TorontoComicCon/Fanexpo? I got a table for MTCC, paid, and now suddenly my tablebuddy can't go.... I don't feel comfortable attending without her.

How are they about people asking for their money back and withdrawing from tables?
Am I better off to try and find someone else who'd want it? Anyone want dibs if so?
>>
>>8854181
I had zero work experience and I still got in.
>>
>>8854181
I would leave out the mention of fanart altogether and just focus on the whole producing and monetizing your artwork and selling it in a physical space thing.
>>
Hey, can anyone get in contact with Toby? Saw this guy selling these in the AA at ACC and he recently put these up on his site. http://orangecrows.storenvy.com/
>>
>>8854248
*undertale keychains whoops
http://orangecrows.storenvy.com/collections/263355-all-products/products/15851571-double-sided-keychains-size-2x3-inches
>>
>>8854251
OT, but I have a question. Do double-sised keychains like these sell at all? I want to try these because they seem like less hassle than ordering acrylic charms. For $5 they might sell?
>>
>>8854267
I've seen some people sell the small circle ones on phone straps. They are hella cute. They go for $3-$5. Thought about doing a few myself.
>>
>>8854070
Consider yourself blessed that I'm telling you aliexpress exists.
>>
>>8854181
Disney college program is basically indentured servitude, they don't really care about your background they just want your cheap labor. But I wouldn't even specify when mentioning it unless they actually ask you, just do what >>8854210 says.
>>
>>8854341
Lmao. I used to live next to the housing they put them into at LBV. It's the worst noisy bunch of assholes ever and frequent theft.
>>
>>8854248
>>8854251
I just talked to the owner, and he had no idea that he wasn't allowed to sell Undertale art. I linked him to Toby's tweets, and he agreed to take down the charms and no longer sell them at cons.
>>
>>8854337
I should have clarified that I was hoping for a US seller.
>>
>>8854386
That would have helped, yes. Have you tried hobby stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby or independently owned at supply stores? I've also found similar things at flea markets.
>>
>>8854406
I have, the closest things I've found were the ziplock type of bags and the regular sealed flap bags - but I'm really needing the type with the holes at the top. I might just settle with the standard flap bags and make due.
>>
>>8854070
This ebay store is where I get mine. Free shipping to the US.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/ghezziky/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
not sure if they'll have exactly the size you're looking for, but they have quite a few.

>>8852697
So cute!
>>
>>8854341
This. Unless you get to be a face character, Disney is a shithole to work for. And even the face characters have to put up with a lot of crap too.
>>
>>8854418
clearbags dot com
>>
>>8854465
That's actually the ebay seller I use for my print bags, haha! Thanks!

>>8854692
Thanks anon, didn't think of them!
>>
>>8854688
But muh resume. Have any of you anons shitting on it done it or is it all secondhand accounts? I know of secondhand accounts irl that said they loved it and it was the bet thing they've ever done.
>>
>>8854724
I live in Orlando and I have a lot of friends who are still current park employees. It's not a bad experience, especially if you like Disney and really really want to work there, but Disney has been less and less selective over the years so they pretty much accept anyone on a first come first serve basis so long as you're not an openly waving red flags in their face. This means your co-workers might not be as dedicated or professional as you, or as full of cheer or good morals, so don't expect a magical fun land. The college program is honestly just a giant recruitment plan for cheap labor in my opinion. But it's about what you want out of it really so that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure you'll have a good time. Even the people I know who complain about it still do like it.
>>
>>8854755
I'm pretty much just lost when it comes to internships since I'm not crazy about my major, and I actually like labor work relative to office work, so basically I just need something glamorous sounding to compete that with my sister's LA internships (from Ohio) lol so it can't be that bad

>personal problems I know I know
>>
File: McDonaldstoysfromthe90s.jpg (45 KB, 570x380) Image search: [Google]
McDonaldstoysfromthe90s.jpg
45 KB, 570x380
>>8852697
>>
>>8852697
>>8854829
now we need a lolita print
>>
>>8852697
>>8854829
HOly shit you guys this is actually becoming a great idea stop it
>>
>>8852697
I need blood ketchup.
>>
>>8852697
what about a slug sundae?
>>
File: still cuter than the unicone.png (112 KB, 578x371) Image search: [Google]
still cuter than the unicone.png
112 KB, 578x371
>>8854870
>>8854873
you scream, i scream...
>>
>>8852697
>>8854829
Oh no...this is cute. The goal was to make something uncute, and we completely failed. I really want this in plushie form now. The fucking sesame seed eyes are genius, by the way.
>>
>>8854924
Can you do a crab croissant
>>
>>8854924
What have we done...our mockery has backfired and we have created something marketable...also we need nuggets to round out the trio.
>>
>>8854924
Gullu-Gullu Cafe is a go. We need a screeching seagull in a kawaii diner uniform.
>>
>>8854928
HNGG
>>
File: honhon.png (57 KB, 334x306) Image search: [Google]
honhon.png
57 KB, 334x306
>>8854928
yes

>>8854929
suggest a non-cute nugget animal
>>
>>8854951
Too cute!!!
>>
>>8854951
blobfish or an engorged tick
>>
File: tumblr_mayt0mZJy31qf5y35o1_500.jpg (105 KB, 500x424) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mayt0mZJy31qf5y35o1_500.jpg
105 KB, 500x424
>>8854951
Suggesting whatever this is for nuggets
>>
>>8854951
do a horseshoe crab. those things are freaky as hell
>>
File: nug.png (85 KB, 500x197) Image search: [Google]
nug.png
85 KB, 500x197
>>8854962
>>8854958
i couldn't decide
>>
>>8855007
Gotta give it to the blobfish. More readable and dem absurd noses.
>>
>>8855021
Agreed
>>
So, who's gonna kickstart these?
>>
>>8855021
>dem absurd noses
b-but there was a reason for dem noses.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0899/jar.html
>>
>>8854951
and a slice of butter on top
>>
>>8854341
This was so true when it first came out, and our instructors even warned us then, told us it's to do menial-labor work at the parks.

Lots of aspiring young artist got suckered into, and when they came back, I'd hear from parents saying some just wore costumes all day.
>>
File: nastynommies.png (184 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
nastynommies.png
184 KB, 600x500
>>8855143
>>8855030
i dont have the time or the money, but if someone wants to post them on AANI, preferably with a subtle dig at cliche kawaii food hybrids, they have my blessing
>>
>>8855155
DESU someone's just going to steal this concept and turn it into a shittier form of non-ironic merch.
>>
>>8854925
>>plushie form

I'm on it, be back in 3 days.
>>
>>8855158
looks hilarious, I'd make some just to see what people's reaction would be -

My only minor change on the sea slug would be to put its ass out top of the ice-cream cone (if its an object one can hold, and pulls out a slug) lolololol.. sounds like fun to figure out how to make it, pending my work schedule...
>>
>>8855155
I would seriously buy all of these in charm form they are so good
>>
>>8855296
as far as im concerned they're cgl property LOL if anyone wants to clean em up and make them into charms/stickers/etc idc/idm
>>
Was looking through some art blogs today, and am I the only one who finds it a bit odd when I see people describe themselves as "I'm a black artist"?

I mean nationality is one thing, but I've been spotting quite a few people mentioning they're black on their page.

On a related note, I remember people asking stuff like "omg do you know any lesbian artists I can follow?" I mean I'd feel a bit insulted if the only reason someone would want to buy my stuff or follow me for my art is because I'm gay or something.
>>
>>8855396
That's normal for Tumblr. Some people won't follow or support you because of your sexuality/race but listing their own race, sexuality and even health problems gives them brownie points for those kinds of people.
>>
File: 123980890128.jpg (239 KB, 690x1048) Image search: [Google]
123980890128.jpg
239 KB, 690x1048
>>8853762
maybe this'll help
>>
>>8855396
haha, i remember seeing a post going around encouraging/demanding that white artists show their support and respect of 'artists of color' by reblogging and promoting them and their works....because obviously the reason they weren't getting the notes they 'deserved' was because they weren't white, not because of the merit of their work.
>>
>>8855396
some artists see their blackness as part of their identity which seeps into their artwork, if they do then its worth mentioning

if they just draw food plushies, maybe not
>>
>>8855415
Adding onto this. Line quality is determined by the distribution of weight. Depending on the pose and body type, the more weight being distributed to an area, the heavier the line. So when you have a character sitting, the lines would look better if heavier towards the center of gravity. Aka their ass and thighs. Then light source and such comes into play like anon's picture. It honestly requires practice to get the hang of it.
>>
File: ex.jpg (506 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
ex.jpg
506 KB, 1280x1280
>>8853762
You could also make a repeating/tiled image of these chibis, or arrange them cutely and add some kind of other coordinating design, and make them into a pencil pouch? I love buying bags and shit at cons, I can't resist them, and I think your style lends itself to that as well as charms/stickers.
>>
>>8855141
Yeah I know, those fish are absurd in general.
>>
I have a question about artbovine. Someone told me that their products tend to look darker so I should lower the opacity of my work before sending them my order. Is lowering opacity a good idea?
>>
File: 1444952268826.jpg (134 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
1444952268826.jpg
134 KB, 620x465
Do any of you know who made these? Reverse search or keywords on google aren't helping.

Thanks in advanced.
>>
File: needslettuce.png (442 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
needslettuce.png
442 KB, 600x450
Almost done, Burgerantula needs lettuce.
>>
>>8856205
Ohhh fuck yes, anon. I can't believe this is happening.

So uh, you got an Etsy?
>>
I apologize if this is a stupid place to ask since it's for personal, not AA, stuff, but what would be the best thing to coat/layer shrinky dink things with? I just want a glossy finish that protects them.
>>
>>8856205
anon this is great

imagine a hot dog maggot in this style
>>
>>8856369
absolute best is clear resin, if you can afford it. Any kind of waterproof gloss varnish, like liquitex or winson &newton would work. You could even use clear nailpolish topcoat, although in my experience that's less than ideal.

>>8856205
i'm so pleased that this is a thing.
>>
>>8856369
Resin
>>
>>8855007
Make a horseshoe crab fish sandwhich
>>
>>8856205
this is such quality A+ I want to buy it.
>>
>>8856205
Please kiss it for me
>>
Ironic foods critters are now a cgl thing, I suppose it's one way to spot each other at AAs.
>>
File: spiderburger.png (493 KB, 701x546) Image search: [Google]
spiderburger.png
493 KB, 701x546
>>8855323
Are you sure anon? I can make this happen.
Spiderburgers for all.
(If you change your mind though I won't give these out and I can just send them your way to sell or whatever.)
>>
Animefest said they would get back to people on 2/8 and 2/9 but i still haven't received any email from them. Anyone get accepted already?
>>
>>8856606
want so much

>>8856610
I got an acceptance e-mail, but no one else that I know of has
>>
>>8856606
Need
>>
File: 1399825234565.gif (454 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1399825234565.gif
454 KB, 500x281
I'm this anon >>8852626

And to see the progress pics of the drawings and plush of the monster food is 2cute4me. Will definitely buy if this goes through.
>>
>>8856606
Haha this thread is magical.

I'm guilty of doing an animalXfood mashup, but these are sooo much better.
>>
>>8856606
They could be like the /cgl/ pins, free for seagulls who know the "secret password". Tips encouraged, to pay for the production costs.
>>
>>8856606
HAHA, GLORIOUS. i actually have an order with you at the moment - could I request that you send one along with my charms?

@all anons: you are free to use the art i've posted as charms, stickers, etc. Totally fine with them being used to identify other gulls. if you want i'll even upload the transparent psd versions.
>>
>>8856606
I need to buy one of these now. Maybe set up a secret cgl storenvy?
>>
>>8856721
Awww, you're the best! Thanks so much for doing this!
>>
>>8856683
>>8856683
AHAH SWEATS.. I had no idea. Now I'm staring at all my current orders trying to pinpoint a similar style. I think I got it, but you should give me a hint just in case.

Anyway..
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1AfHsmInFElWIiJulZaD3kHSrEBYR0l3E5PjyQHVNem8/viewform
Boom.
>>
>>8856721
>https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1AfHsmInFElWIiJulZaD3kHSrEBYR0l3E5PjyQHVNem8

Sent a $5 bucks because I need this in my life <3
>>
>>8856683
OH, now I see who you are. I actually already mailed your order out but I'll send some spiderburgers your way.

>>8856721 >>8856725
Go me for thinking I messed up the link and deleting my post and it turned out to be fine anyway.
>>
>>8856725
Ahhh you're amazing, thanks! Threw a little bit your way as well.
>>
>>8856725
Are you okay with shipping internationally?
>>
>>8856740
hoy you got my order done quickly O: (just for total clarification : i was the one doing an SU charm order.) thanks so much <3
>>
>>8856205
This proves there are no bad concepts, just bad executions.
>>
>>8856606
I'm >>8851902
How do I purchase/acquire one of these sweet babies? Also >>8856205 is adorable. I'm excited that this happened.
>>
>>8856772
Woops, nevermind, found out how to get a spiderburg! Thank you so much art anon and Fera!
>>
File: 1452224593474.png (301 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
1452224593474.png
301 KB, 800x1000
>>8856725
Coming out of lurker mode to say thanks for doing this! And thanks to the original anons who came up with it, it's too amazing to pass up
>>
>>8856676
I'm seriously game for that.

I'm showing my age here, but we did something similar on the alt.fan.sailor-moon newsgroup. (Don't laugh, it was pretty much THE place to discuss the series and be general anime nerds back in the 90s). But those of us in the group got special made Luna and Artemis pins. I feel some pride that I own them since they were exclusive to the group.
>>
>>8855740
Not the same anon but I'm trying to make an artsmoo bag with a repeating/tiled design. Does anyone have any tips? I'm afraid of the design being ruined if I have the image go outside the bleed line...
>>
>>8856725
omg Thanks so much for doing this! I'm so glad I was around for this hahaha.
>>
>>8856725
wow thanks! sent a buck as well. you rock.
>>
>>8856354
Yo https://www.etsy.com/shop/StarshinePlush
It's full of sea bunnies and animalxfood mashups.
Spider burger will be finished and listed in under 24 hours.

>>8856676
I'm down for printing up some buttons and handing them out at cons.
>>
>>8856725
Please say you'll ship outside the US as well! I need one of these!
>>
>>8856990
obey the red bleed/safety line. The preview image is nice but it is not your friend.
>>
>>8856725
I threw a couple of bucks and a note via Paypal just in case. You're awesome!
>>
>>8855740
DA
aa can I get the source on those AC pouches?!
>>
Aaa thanks for the donations everyone! I'll be able to send out even more of these than I thought.

>>8856750
>>8857385
Right now a few international shipments doesn't seem like it'll be a problem, so go ahead! I don't know how many more responses I'll get throughout today though.

Also I'm thinking of editing the artwork a bit to up the contrast on the sesame seed eyes, since it's a little hard to read on a 1inch charm and that's my favorite aspect of the design. I hope that sounds okay with everyone?
>>
>>8857553
i bow to your judgement as an artist
>>
>>8855935
Do you mean the artist or the actual charms themselves?
>>
>>8856725
You're the best!! I'll definitely be taking my business to acornpress once I decide to do charms.
>>
>>8857433
Alright thanks! I haven't printed anything before so I was worried that there would be blank space on the outer edge of the bag since my tiled pattern would stop at the bleed line, if that makes sense.
>>
>>8856610
I got accepted too ! I was the very first one to share the link on here tho so it might just be taking them a while to get through everyone.
>>
>>8856610
I first applied to them in Sept. said the result was on Nov 1st waited til the 14th said that the results will be on the week after thanksgiving waited got nothing, emailed them again, replied a week later said the the results will be in January and nothing.

I've given up on them; serious lack of communication on whether you are accepted or not.

Even if I didn't get accepted at least email me saying 'unfortunately you did not get accepted as Artist alley in this con, please try again next year" instead of not answering at all.
>>
>>8857798
The con was last sept? Did you resign up at the con itself? Because they didn't tell those of us who had booths could. D:

Also the live form was just put to the public a week or so ago? I've been back checking since nov/dec to see if it went live. idk x-x
That seriously sucks if you've been waiting this long.
>>
>>8857798
I feel like you're talking about a completely different convention...
>>
>>8857818
>>8857823
It was for Animefest, however the application didn't start til september. It's there first year so there was no resign. and the con is on Valentine's day weekend. It was an up in the air thing cause I wouldn't even know if it's going to be popular.

Though the application was like taking the SAT
>>
>>8857836
I-I think we might be talking about two different animefests? This one has been around for 26+ years? https://animefest.org/
>>
>>8857842
I was talking about CO Animefest
>>
>>8857845
Okay cool. Just a heads up, the Colorado one has no relation with the one in Texas as far as I know.
>>
>>8857856
That's what I think, just shares the same name which can be confusing as hell
>>
My friend just got a button maker and is churning out buttons and now wants to get a booth at a local con. Problem is all she's using is anime magizines, comics and old manga; nothing of her own design. She actually can't draw at all and doesn't believe me when I tell her using official art is a bad idea. The local con doesn't say anything specific about buttons/pins but only prints containing official art.
I wouldn't care but she's my ride to the con and wants me to help with her table in lue of gas money. I've tried to give her cash instead but she refused and said i'd help with the table instead
>>
>>8857901
If they're from her own copies of magazines, it's fine. The copyright laws only go into place when she's printing them off the internet. But if she owned a copy of the original sauce, it's fair game.
Not to say she won't totally flop. It's a horrible idea. But the con will probably let it slide.
>>
>>8857901
dealers will do this, and get away with it, often, but they have more than just the buttons.

it is not going to fly in AA.
>>
>>8857901
Contact the con, and show her the clarifications. If for this con, official art for buttons are fine, then I think you're in the clear. She'll learn from other cons that official art can mean trouble and that's not your problem.
>>
>>8857901
Has she actually gotten the booth yet? Good luck getting accepted with just bootleg buttons as her portfolio.
(Unless it's not a juried con, in which case fuck your friend for grabbing and wasting a table.)

My advice, Anon- just get an Uber and have fun at the con. Unless you like sitting at a table while barely making sales and getting nasty glares from legit artists/crafters.
>>
>>8857703
Aw, thanks anon I appreciate the sentiment but don't base your decision just on that! We're small and independent so there's definitely some advantages and.. disadvantages that come with that. We definitely screwed up a bunch early on when we first opened and quality-wise there's still more improvements to be made. (Which is why I try to compensate the best I can with low cost and minimums but.. there's no way I can beat outsourcing to china on that front.)

I recommend talking to other artists that have placed orders with us and seeing what their experience has been like.
>>
I have a question about cutting circles of odd sizes, for example like 36mm. I looked through alibaba and ebay and nobody is selling 36mm circle cutters. Is handcutting the only choice?
>>
>>8857730
This is confusing. The bleed line is to make sure your image extends PAST IT. Never stop your image AT the bleed line.
>>
>>8858155
pretty sure fiskars does an adjustable circle cutter, so you could also look into that.
>>
for those of you who sell figures or toys, how do you display them? i want something small that i can keep in front of me to make sure nothing gets stolen, which i can't really do if i put them in wire cubes, etc.
>>
is there a place that prints sheets of stickers that i can cut out?
>>
>>8858443
seconded?
>>
>>8858443
>>8858447
do you mean like kisscut stickersheets or like...just on sticker paper?

>>8858440
plastic cases/boxes (or you could use clear cellophone stretched over the sides to emphasize 'no touching' if you wanted to use wire cubes)
>>
>>8858464
just on sticker paper so i can cut them!
>>
>>8858492
Literally anywhere that lets you print. Just buy the sticker paper and ask them to feed that into the machine...
>>
Any Aussies here self-print their stuff? I'm looking to buy ink for my Epson 1430 and wondering where the cheapest ink is since the USD isn't playing too nice these days
>>
So I've looked at the links in OP but I don't see anything about book printing. Does anyone have any site recommendations for these? I'd like saddle stitch with around 20ish pages. I would prefer to buy in small quantities since I'm still testing the waters. I've been looking at overnightprints if anyone has any experience with them
>>
File: wut.jpg (112 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
112 KB, 800x533
checking in to see work in the AANI FB pg. WTH is this? this is the worst decoden I've ever seen..
>>
does anyone here have OPM merch? i just got super into the show and want to buy stuff but on etsy it looks like its mostly people stealing the official art & i don't want to wade through the shit.
>>
>>8858762
Kakimari (storenvy) has been making OPM merch for ages. Quite a bit has been retired due to age already, but she still has some things in her store.
>>
>>8858763

this is exactly the kind of stuff i was looking for, thank you!
>>
File: CLOUDY2-Cheespider.jpg (625 KB, 2000x851) Image search: [Google]
CLOUDY2-Cheespider.jpg
625 KB, 2000x851
so....
>>
>>8858895
there is nothing new under the sun
>>
So I remembered that people always ask how well other people do with online sales. I never really kept track and I was curious so I finally sat down and number crunched.

I was super surprised but apparently after Paypal fees and the like I made close to $1600 in January alone?

It's definitely not reflective of how much online sales I make per month but I had to redo the math several times to make sure I didn't fuck up. Thanks for motivating me to actually start keeping track of monthly online sales! I think I'm gonna be more careful about recording at-con sales this year too. Does anyone have any advice for keeping track of art finances?
>>
>>8858895
the whole point of the animal/food hybrids is that they're tired and overdone, anon. you're not exactly breaking news here.

>>8858952
i'm doing this too...and also keeping much more detailed records about what i invest in my products (time and actual physical materials).
>>
I'm designing some keychains but I feel like they need some "oomph" so I want to put some cute little deco things around the characters, but I can't think of anything besides stars, flowers, kira kira sparkles, leaves, etc... does anyone have any ideas? D:
>>
>>8858993
I've seen some that used some iconic food relating to the characters theme that were super cute.
>>
>>8857548
sorry anon, I was out all day but here!

http://yosb.storenvy.com/products/11330241-assassins-creed-zipper-pouch-cosmetic-pencil-bag
>>
>>8858952
I keep a spreadsheet and keep track of spending and profits. Stuff like hotel+badge cost, materials, printing, etc all get recorded. Really helps when it's time to do taxes.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.