[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Resin Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
We haven't had one in awhile and then I saw this on a local con FB page and knew it was time. Fess up I know you're a seagull with charms like these.
>>
>>8846859
If there was a "your waifu is trash" one I would probably buy it on impulse. Others are meh.
>>
File: DSC_0703.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0703.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
I just popped these out! The cat and the heart still need to be glazed/have the back filled in but the others are ready to be drilled and made into earrings.
The ones with words are kind of edgy, but the 3oh!3 one is a running joke and I thought they'd be suitable for Valentine's Day.
>>
I'm thinking of making cabochon-esque resin crafts. If I'm putting a picture into a cameo setting, will the resin make the ink run on photopaper? Or should I print my background on something else/use some kind of sealant before adding the resin?
>>
Ooh, nice. Are there tutorials on how to make these?
>>
>>8846957
On photo paper the acid will turn everything hot pink and on plain paper it'll soak through and turn dark.

Grab some PVA glue and decoupage/seal the paper into the frame, then resin over the top once it sets.

>I wasted like $300 worth of potential product to learn this.
>>
>>8846859
I saw these at a local con this past weekend. Sadly the Boku no pico one sold out before I got to it.
>>
>>8846859
I've been thinking about making some resin charms as a hobby and to give to friends. I've been doing some research but would love to hear more opinions.

What are some of your favorite resin brands?
Where do you get your molds or do you make your own?

I would also love to see some general resin inspo just because they can be so pretty to look at.
>>
File: UT8IVZQXd4XXXagOFbXo.jpg (80 KB, 750x495) Image search: [Google]
UT8IVZQXd4XXXagOFbXo.jpg
80 KB, 750x495
I purchased pic related from Aliexpress with the intent of turning them into broaches. I'm completely new to working with resin but have done some research into doming resin; is that something you guys would recommend? Are there other options I could explore?
>>
>>8846938
I like the plain glittery ones, I've never been into the 'edgy but cute' jewelry thing so I can't really say anything there.
>>
>>8846859
For things like this do you have to put down a first layer to get a front, then a second layer with beads and filler resin and then a third for the white part?
>>
>>8846994
Omg link?
>>
>>8847005
No you can put the beads in the first layer and then another layer for the back for color. ill post some of my favorite tutorials.
>>
>>8847048
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Romantic-Decoration-Stickers-For-Phone-Album-Candy-Box-Notebook-Scrapbooking-School-Supplies-Q-LIA/32507711063.html
>>
>>8846859
does anyone have the resin google doc? I thought that was super helpful but I forgot to bookmark it
>>
File: ariariariari.png (990 KB, 654x1000) Image search: [Google]
ariariariari.png
990 KB, 654x1000
I've just started working with Japanese UV resin and I've been really enjoying it! Recently started a series of necklaces based off Jojo characters and some lolita style stuff. I have them up for sale but I'm still not sure the price is right, I just don't know how much someone would pay for this type of jewellery.
>>
>>8846984
Appreciate the info. Sorry you lost out so hard on that!
>>
>>8847096
Shiiiit anon for pic related I'd probably drop $15-20 on it depending on the packaging and how recognizable it is as being related to a series/character. You'd make a mint doing Sailor Moon ones with little stars and bows with that chain.
>>
>>8847096
I'm >>8846957 and this is totally what I want to do. Lolita and araki themed jewlery! I would easily pay 13-18 USD for that, anon.
>>
>>8847132
Seconding this anon. You definitely would make good sales doing things like sailor moon/cardcaptor sakura/ghibli/etc.

What brand resin are you using? It looks really nice!
>>
>>8847096
I immediately thought of Bruno from the zippers before even reading that it was Jojo related. I'm totally all over Jojo and Lolita stuff. Around 15$ I'd pay.
>>
Could I request some links to decent sized and simple shaped silicone molds? Preferable on Ali or eBay??

Everything I have bought has either turned out to be waaaay too small or a really weird shape.
>>
File: jolyne.jpg (75 KB, 570x877) Image search: [Google]
jolyne.jpg
75 KB, 570x877
>>8847132
I'd definitely like to expand into other series but I wanted to try out with Jojo first and see if they sold or not before buying supplies for other series. Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura are two I have considered for sure in terms of being popular with lolitas but I wuldn't mind considering more niche shows. I was considering Fate stuff too.

>>8847159
I'm using Padico UV resin in the hard type. It's a little expensive but it's just so easy and nice to use.

>>8847169
Thank you! I wanted to give the feeling of each character without it being too anime merch looking.

Thank you all for the input about the price. I've just changed it to be a bit more suitable, unfortunately I am from the UK so I think it works out a bit weird into dollars. I've put them as £13 with £4 international shipping (£2 domestic) and each one comes in the displayed box heavily wrapped. They are also quite large cameos, I'll put this picture for sense of scale.
>>
File: 1403058567401.png (80 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
1403058567401.png
80 KB, 500x450
>>8847235
Actually, to make it work with dollars better, I've put them as £12.
>>
>>8847096
I think I remember you posting before about your work. I think the pieces look lovely/detailed/clean and bless you for doing Jojo merch, Personally I'm not convinced I'd purchase these yet (even though the price point on $15 - 20 is right).

I just think they are a bit too busy (in the bruno one there are 6 motifs in there already). I'd look at 2 (at most 3) motifs per cameo. Look at haruyama (mens wear) collaboration with jojo and the themed drinks by Jujo. Both examples only pick one or two things to represent the character. For example: the motifs read as bruno, but the colours read as joseph?

Hope this kind of helps anon. Look forward to seeing more of your stuff!
>>
File: january resin.png (1 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
january resin.png
1 MB, 1000x1000
After all the talk of framed resin pieces in the indie accessory thread I went got some framed molds myself. I mostly just stuck some art I already had made in them instead of making something specific.

I also tried making crosses with hearts. The backs are hella ugly though.

>>8846859
I'd totally consider buying most of those if they had more glitter variation and stuff to them.

>>8847096
This is cool but also feels too busy. I get that the zippers are Bucciaratti, but the color throws it off to me. The star themed setting it's in though is fantastic.
>>
>>8846938
>roses are red
>Fuck this and fuck you
>I'd move mountains
>To get away from you

Beautiful
>>
>>8846992
I just use UV resin. I've used other resins but I am so shit at mixing them (shaky hands) that it wasn't worth it.
>>
>>8847005
You should wait until the resin gets gooey and viscous, then add glitter/beads/stickers/whatever so they don't sink completely. Once that layer's hard, or mostly hard, add layer 2.
>>
>>8847451
I'm pretty sure I've seen those crystals. Did you post in the last resin threads?
>>
>>8847488
I probably did. I can't remember when we had the last resin-specific thread.
>>
Would anyone be interested in magnets? I'm doing an Amazon order soon and thinking of getting some, but idk if there's a market for cutesy resin magnets.
I'm also working on some other simple resin pieces and will probably post them later. They're nothing special, but concrit's always appreciated.
>>
>>8846859
Not against resin charms like these, but when will the "super edgy" trend of these shit memes on tryhard goods end?
>>
>>8847569
When people stop buying them
>>
>>8847451
Them frames though. You got some sort of shop anon?
>>
>>8846994
Have you got these yet? Review? Pics?
>>
>>8846938
Where can I buy that cat?
>>
>>8847096

Source on the bezel/setting?
>>
what resin castings do yall recommend?
>>
>>8846859
how are these cgl? they just sound like overused tumblr memes
>>
>>8847235
Do you have an etsy shop? I'm not that into Jojo (only somewhat) but I would love to know when you make CCS or Sailor moon stuff becasue I would totally get one!
>>
>>8847451
These are all lovely!

>>8847170
Here's a few basic ones I think a lot of people have
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LOVE-Silicone-Mold-Clover-Fondant-Moulds-for-Soap-Chocolate-Ginkgo-Leaves-Cake-Tools-SML089/1886852288.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Romantic-love-silicone-molds-100-Silica-gel-chocolate-ice-cube-tray-ice-mould-love-shape-10/1920669091.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251951816964

I hope people don't mind me posting this but I've just made this resin update video. I'm still very new at youtube and fairly new to resin so any feedback on either front is welcome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JausB5O6l8
>>
>>8846999
>>8847452
The poem is actually from the artist Foie Gras! I tried to message her on Tumblr and ask if I could use it, but she turned off her inbox. I'm not profiting from it, but I still want to give her credit.
The other one is just lyrice from Don't Trust Me because I've been binging on bad pop music from 2010.
>>8847635
The cat is from a cat ice cube tray, actually, so are the big hearts.
>>
>>8847876
I've subbed to you, you make awesome pieces!

Makes a change from the baton pass of the same idea/circle jerk from some of the bigger channels.

So yeah. Keep it up :)
>>
>>8847981
Thank you, that's really kind! I've subbed back, it's nice to see another Brit too
>>
File: bears.png (302 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
bears.png
302 KB, 500x400
>>8847612
I do, but it's a mess and most of the stuff from the pic aren't up.

>http://chasingthefrill.storenvy.com/
>>
>>8846994
I got these ones. They are washi tape stickers so a backing is necessary. To dome tiny pieces you could use a syringe.
>>
>>8846992
I use easy cast and clearcast 7000
Easy cast is a little cheaper and small amounts can be bought at craft stores. I personally buy it by the gallon which I can only find online.
Clearcast 7000 is a newer brand. When mixed it is much thinner than other resins and makes getting rid of bubbles a lot easier. It works best in thin layers and I like to use it for doming. It is a little tricky to dome with but I think the results are worth the extra work. Just for comparison most 2-part resins have the consistency of honey and this one is a bit closer to water or maybe maple syrup. Still thick but runny.
There are a ton more I could get into. I've tried a lot of them.
>>
>>8848021
Cute! What do you do with the back of these,is it just paper/card? I'm wondering what to use to seal mine that will make it durable.
>>
>>8848376
Thanks. I just painted some paper, cut 'em out, and domed them. The back is domed with white since the resin seeps in and makes them look wet/see through, so the white helps keep them opaque.
>>
>>8847876

Thank you for that, thats basically exactly what I am after!

Also subbed!
>>
>>8847451

These look really good! Which brand did you use?
>>
File: ss+(2016-02-04+at+02.32.27).jpg (66 KB, 594x595) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-02-04+at+02.32.27).jpg
66 KB, 594x595
Been slowly experimenting more and more with embedding in my resin. I also got a bunch of new molds I'm excited to try out!
>>
>>8848401
Parks Super Glaze...I saw someone mention it in a thread a long time ago.

>>8848411
Your stuff is always so cute. What other molds did you get??
>>
>>8847648
I got mine locally but I did some googling and found somewhere to buy them online.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/cameojewelrysupply (4chan spam detection won't let me post the listing but it's in the 40x30 setting section)

>>8847861
My etsy shop is https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Baumhauslolita

>>8847291
Thank you for commenting with some concrit, I'll definitely take it in mind! I think it's partly coming down to personal aesthetics, before doing my own I've always gravitated towards more busy, elaborate resin pieces over plainer ones.
>>
>>8848481
Thanks for the source, your pieces are top-notch
>>
File: molds.png (571 KB, 624x658) Image search: [Google]
molds.png
571 KB, 624x658
>>8848424

Aww thanks anon. Your frames are looking so cute! I love the one in the bottom left that you added(?) the rose to the frame !

I got all pic related... I kind of went wild getting a variety haha. Next I want to invest in some more findings for embedding inside.
>>
I have most of the supplies I need but I for some reason haven't worked up the courage to start. Any first timer warnings or things you wish you had known earlier?
>>
File: 20160205_131540.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160205_131540.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
First attempt with stickers..! Surprisingly I had no air bubbles which I was pretty proud of.. but I'm extremely impatient and probably popped them out of the molds too soon..

If I was wanting to add large eyed pins to these when is the best time to do it??
>>
File: molds.jpg (154 KB, 598x595) Image search: [Google]
molds.jpg
154 KB, 598x595
>>8848534
Those are adorable. I loved the deer, and I just ordered pic related. It's pretty small, but I think I can make some cute stuff with them.
>>
>>8848548
Be aware of the temperature you're working in. Even when I warmed my resin in the winter, micro bubbles appeared because my house is so cold. Micro bubbles are pretty much impossible to get rid of. A lamp which gives off heat can help. I wasted a good amount of resin trying to get good pieces during the winter.
>>
File: IMG_2601.jpg (253 KB, 1224x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2601.jpg
253 KB, 1224x1224
Ah, I'm glad there's another resin thread! It's so nice to see everyone's work! I actually just finished some of these pieces, I'm looking forward to being able to build some stock and eventually to sell. I'm thinking of making ring sets with the moons and stars!
>>
>>8847634
nope and despite ordering them well before new years I've still been informed they won't be posted before the 16th
>>
>>8848327
I'm planning on backing them on Balsa wood as that's all I've got the tools to actually cut.
>>
>>8848548
Wait for the resin to get gooey before you stick things is. Seriously worth the wait and not at all worth the hassle of fishing them out and adjusting them over and over again.
Also, pay attention to the ratios. If you use UV resin this isn't a problem, but you need to be really exact.
>>
>>8848800
These are really cute, good job! I love the four on the left. How big are the moon and stars?
>>
File: IMG_2606.jpg (275 KB, 1224x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2606.jpg
275 KB, 1224x1224
>>8848875
Thanks so much anon! The moons are about 3cm by 2 cm, and the stars are a little more than 2 cm by 2 cm, pic related
>>
>>8848919
They're tiny! The picture made them look a lot bigger, lol. They'd look really cute as rings.You must have a really steady hand to be able to make those fruit pieces, if they're that small.
>>
>>8848800
>My etsy shop is https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Baumhauslolita
Loving this! I especially love the alice ones. Your pieces look so yummy. If you are the person I am thinking you are I am looking forward to your classic pieces!
>>
>>8848390
Do you do the white doming first then the front or front then back?
>>
File: DSC_0468.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0468.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
Just popped these out and added eye pins to a few of them. Been working really hard on getting that pastle color just right. They also all glow in the dark except for the bow.
>>
>>8847096
I love this! (Also I just realised I follow you on tumblr aha)
>>
>>8849334
This is gorgeous!

I really love resin threads since I feel inspired to try something new. Would you say its easy to get started/get a hang of? Would you have any tips for beginners?
>>
>>8849339
I don't think it that hard to get started. Just expect some experiments and fails.
You do have to have some patience. Waiting for it to cure used to kill me lol
I've done panels on resin for beginners and think anyone that wants to do it can.
>>
>>8849334
At what point do you add the eye pins? Do you just use a jewelry drill and then screw them in or when?
>>
>>8848548

Stay away from polystyrene cups.

Seriously, I had this copycat 'friend' who wanted to follow me in my footsteps, used a polystyrene cup and was shocked when it ate through the cup and falling onto their floor.

Some plastic cups are shitty too and melt down so make sure you use a good quality mixing vessel. And if it drops onto your leg, clothed or not, get it off. You dont want that stuff laminating your leg.
>>
>>8849353
There are a few ways to do this
1. Drill a hold with dremel or jewelry drill than screw it in (you can also add a little glue to make it extra secure.
2.Before it is fully cured, right after you pop them out of the mold you can simply press the eye pin into the piece to create a hold and screw it in by hand. If it has been cured for a few days this is much harder to do. The resin is still somewhat soft on the inside after the first 24 hours.(this is what I did above)
3. When you dome the back of the piece just glue the eye pin down and cover with resin embedding it in the back layer your pouring. (Not my recommend method but it can be done)
4.Skip eye pins all together and glue on a bail
>>
>>8849339
It's easy. Just watch A LOT of tutorials and don't forget to work in a well-ventilated area and wear gloves. I'd recommend not starting with fiberglass because of the fumes, and that magic white resin stuff apparently sets super fast, so you might want to stay away from that until you're more confident.
Resin is fun to work with and it's always nice to be able to make your own accessories. Go for it! Post results here, we'll tell you how to improve if you get stuck or get bad results.
>>
Does anyone have some shitty gothic pieces they messed up that they would sell cheap? I guess any style would be alright, I just want to see this stuff in person and don't wear much jewelry
>>
I have an issue with resin casting and drying. I did some small hearts for a trial but the damn drying takes ages like a week to fully become usable. What i should do?I put more casting liquid in the resin but still it takes ages.
Also, i don't know why when i put a sticker it doesn't sink but goes on the surface and become trapped in the glitter and covered.
Maybe the epoxy resin i use is shitty.
>>
File: IMG_2609.jpg (266 KB, 1224x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2609.jpg
266 KB, 1224x1224
>>8849234
Yeah haha, they're pretty small. I was actually caught off guard by the size of the molds but that's on me cause I didn't pay too much attention when I ordered them. The small details take a lot of patience but once you're embedding them in the resin, they're pretty easy to arrange!

>>8849240
Aww, thank you!! Sadly I don't think I'm who you're thinking of, the only stuff of mine I've posted before were some star keychains.

I also just put this necklace together for a friend but I'm not totally confident about the beading. Any concrit would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>8849655

It could be a number of things. The first and most common thing to consider is whether the components have been measured correctly, if not check the date on the packaging, resin does go off.
Secondly what has the weather been like lately? if it's cold and damp that can slow things down. I do all of my resin outside and at this time of year in cold rainy England it's common for me to leave anything I make for up to a month before removing it from its mold. I tend to go on hiatus around this time because resin hates damp.

As for the sticker what kind of sticker is it? if it's a puffy sticker that's going to cause problems and they need to be babysat. Some epoxy users (I'm not one of them sadly and use something else) Tend to leave their resin alone a little before embedding anything, and even longer before throwing in their glitter. You want it to be of a thicker consistency before the glitter goes in.
If you'e worried, throw in a layer of resin with the sticker and get that cured first (put a little less in than usual) then go back and do a glitter layer if it makes things easier, then back it.

If you bought it recently you can try to return it and get another batch
>>
>>8849339

I'd definitely say its easy to get into. But do expect trial and error.

And from my personal experience, it ended up being way more costly than I ever expected? I dont mind but do think about all the supplies you'll need.

>resin
>something for stirring (popsicle sticks)
>small cups for measuring resin
>various glitters
>various small trinkets for embedding
>stickers if you'd like
>resin dye for coloring
>pearl powders for coloring
>various molds
>silicone mat for doming on
>a lot of jewelry findings
>>
What are good alternatives to resin? My living situation isn't conductive to working safely with it. I want to make jewelry using art and considered the following method:

>Seal paper and glue to bezel
>Add thin layer of glitter, seal with glue/Mod Podge etc.
>Glue those clear dome stickers over it
>Possibly coat the domes for effect beforehand

Does this seem like I am on the right track?
>>
>>8849667
Here there is damp most of the time, cold not much but due to this drying is slow as fuck, i want to sell my items by order but i can't make wait a customer more than a week before shipping, with polymer clay my working days for an order are 3-5 days before shipping.
I used a normal paper sticker because the 3D one was always resurfacing more than the paper one. Oh, i have to wait a bit more before to put glitter and stuff?I always did it after i mixed the components. I thought also to put a tiny layer of resin for the sticker and later cover it . I did in equal parts (one spoon of resin one spoon of casting liquid) and the drying was slow still.
>>
>>8849953
Not even UV resin? Its more pricey but less messy
>>
I just bought my first clear resin mix. Have to go buy a printer before I can get started, though.
>>
>>8850137
Remember to keep that shit sealed tight, anons. Don't be like me and have resin components somehow seeping out of both the bottles and plastic bags into your desk drawers, making it a horrible sticky mess.
>>
>>8849665
You should put a couple smaller pearls on each side above those, it looks cheap to only have a few big ones
>>
>>8850086
I don't have a well-ventilated space to work in, not even outside.
>>
Does anyone know how long it takes for UV resin to cure with sunlight? Or could I buy a uv flashlight?
>>
>>8850193
>I
Anon you can buy a UV light from hobby lobby.. it's pretty decent size and I can cure things under it in like 15 sometimes..
>>
Hey do the Mod Podge deco molds work with resin? Cus the one has some super cute designs in it.
>>
>>8849953
You should do shrinky dinks anon!
>>
>>8850320
They do but they are a lot more shallow than other molds.
>>
>>8847084
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15mrdnoKqy7csGQ7XhyFy_wXVnLUzKX0sd2agIvHDXVw/edit?usp=sharing

I'm glad you found it helpful. If anyone has ideas on things to add, please let me know.
>>
File: 519oQ46MNUL._SX450_.jpg (26 KB, 450x311) Image search: [Google]
519oQ46MNUL._SX450_.jpg
26 KB, 450x311
Got these as a super late xmas gift and think some cool pieces can be done with them.
>>
>>8850365

Sparkly pastel legos need to happen.
>>
>>8850364
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15mrdnoKqy7csGQ7XhyFy_wXVnLUzKX0sd2agIvHDXVw/edit?usp=sharing

Different anon, but thank you so much! Ever since my disastrous attempt with resin several years ago I've been afraid to start again. This is super useful. Hopefully because I have some more disposable income too I can finally start making some workable pieces.
>>
>>8850306
Different anon but I have two questions. One, if I have a pro gel lamp for nails, will that work for small items? Its UV. Second, do Ott Lites and similar have an effect on it?
>>
>>8850380
Nail lamps show up a lot when I search Amazon for uv resin so probably. It's probably a similar polymer to nail gel.
>>
>>8849334
oooh those creamy milky colours! How did you manage that?

Also, does anyone know where to find some nice bone moulds, both cute and realistic!
>>
File: resinstuff.png (2 MB, 1190x1174) Image search: [Google]
resinstuff.png
2 MB, 1190x1174
Just some things I've been doing, sorry for the shit pictures, lighting is poor in my room.
The top left is some sundaes with resin I was trying, right is shrinkies which I domed with resin (some turned out better than others) and the bottom is some resin.
For some reason, a few of the pieces are turning yellow? They weren't that way when I made them and the resin was new so I'm a bit confused.
>>
>>8850387
Hm, well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try since I already have it. I know some people who use nail gel to make small objects for dolls so maybe it is?
>>
>>8850408
I'm glad I popped into this resin thread as I NEED some of those aquids. Etsy link?
>>
Could I please get some tips on how to use translucent resin? I bought a kit by accident, and had been meaning to get transparent
Any pictures would be helpful too, thank you!
>>
>>8850419
Unfortunately I don't have them up on etsy since they were just tests, but I do plan on maybe doing custom ones through tumblr commission. If you're interested in some of these tho you can email me.
>>
>>8850408
I'll hazard a guess and say your resin is cheap, therefore will yellow, just like cheap acrylic.
>>
>>8850435
It's EasyCast and I've used it plenty times before and never did that. I've been using it for over a year.
>>
So Salarz is the recommended UV resin? It seems you either use hte UV light or a catalyst?
>>
>>8850391
I start with white resin dye, I just used powdered pigments on a piece of wax paper with just a dot of resin. Make sure to mix in completely so there are no clumps of power. I than slowly add the colored resin into the white base until I get the color I want. It takes a while but totally worth it.
>>
>>8850439
Easycast can yellow if exposed to too much sunlight or if you glazed with nail polish
>>
>>8850485
They've been in a box under my bed and I never use nail polish :/ I'm so annoyed. Do you recommend any brands that have a least likely chance of turning yellow? the reason I use easycast is just cause it's the most accessible to me, but if I have to order online for better quality so be it.
>>
>>8850493
It's probably just old. I had the same problem with a box of EasyCast I got at Goodwill that was probably ancient.
>>
>>8850493
wouldnt surprise me honestly. AcMoore only ever has one and I'm pretty sure I'm one of only a handful that buy it.
>>
>>8850493
I ment if your piece have been in the sun they will turn yellow but the others could be right it could be old.
I like Clearcast 7000, amazing cast and easy cast but I do buy in bulk cause it is a lot cheaper. I also use uv resin to dome. I get all mine on Amazon
>>
>>8846859
Do you know where I could buy any of these?
>>
So I used the resin docs and was wondering, why does printing paper stain when using resin? I am trying to make charms for a bag and wanted to know what type of paper is better to use? Is it better to use shrinky dink paper or should I buy the paper recommended here in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BLgSWWLwYc
>>
>>8850578
Printing paper stains because it's pretty much getting wet. If you want to still use printing paper, just laminate it. I personally just sandwich paper between packing tape, cut it out, and seal the edges with mod podge.
>>
>>8850567
I saw them at a con and this is their shop, https://www.etsy.com/shop/KawaiiFeature

Stock photos look crappy but in person, they looked awesome. I really regret not getting a piece of theirs plus they told me they do custom pieces as well if you contact them.
>>
>>8850578
You should seal any paper before adding resin. This includes paper stickers, btw.
>>8849665
I'd leave a little more space between the main piece and the pearls, a few cms of chain can make a big difference. It'll make it look neater and less cluttered.
>>
>>8850051

1. Use UV resin and get shit done in like 2 minutes. It's expensive but you can use it to set things that take forever but need to be done quickly (like the sticker layer) and use normal resin on the rest to cut down costs. That being said, I've found that it goes a surprisingly long way. If Padico is too expensive try other brands, it's not that big of an investment and it's easy to find online. You'll need a UV lamp though, I use a nail one I found on sale on Amazon for like £13 shipped.

2. Leave them to set in the hottest, driest place in the house. A heat gun won't be a bad investment. You can use it to pop bubbles in the resin, and if your resin's still tacky on the outside when you've demolded it you can blast it with heat for a bit to help it cure a bit faster. It's a bit dumb to stand there for hours waving a heat gun over resin from when it's poured to when it cures, but everything sticks to resin and it's frustrating as hell when you have a bunch of still-tacky pieces that are now coated in dust and glitter you swear wasn't there two seconds ago.

3.Use a different brand of resin. Read reviews online, decide which one is best for you, and try something new. Maybe, as the other anon said, you're getting the proportions wrong, so a resin that's measured by weight would be better for you than one measured in parts. Some brands of resin might do better than others in damp places. It's trial and error, unfortunately.

And yes, you have to wait before putting glitter and things in. It needs to gel a bit so the stuff doesn't sink, but if you wait until it's too thick it'll create air bubbles when you push it in. Wait until it's really viscous for things like glitter.
>>
>>8850380
It works. I have one I use for UV resin.
>>8850408
What did you use for the sundae cream?
>>
>>8850408
Resin can yellow in the sun so keep your pieces away from direct sunlight for long periods of time. Normally I see this with resin bjds, not with the kind of resin for these pieces.
>>
>>8850633
I'm not sure if you're referring to the whip topping or the syrup but for the whip it's mod podge collage clay which is honestly just a package of deco fake icing. I'll warn you it works a bit differently from silicone. I guess you can say its a bit softer? I saw it on a tutorial and was interested in trying it for myself. Michaels sells it. The syrup is just your basic fabric puffy paint.
>>
>>8850431
e-mailed :)
>>
>>8850656
Thanks!
>>
>>8850320
If you look up Sweetness and her video of breast cancer awareness (pink gems) you can see them in action. I dont necessarily agree with her method of scraping the resin across the surface of the mold but its cleared up later and makes the point that they are easy to maintain and use. I personally like how those ones come out.
The other ones are a little more fiddly and shallow, but with some care you should be okay.
>>
>>8850578
I tried using the waterproof paper by just mod podging it like she said, but the front of the sticker never has resin stay above it, so theres a cavity in the front of the piece and the paper itsellf yellows. I still laminate with tape but its sort of no different to using regular paper, it just makes it thicker to work with and so small bits wont flick up like some of my other stickers are prone to.
I'd try without using mod podge but it's not worth the struggle of microbubbles that she mentions.
>>
>>8850408
Where did you get those sundae glasses? Also, I really like those shrinkies and the Cinderella piece.
>>
>>8850797
Thanks!
And here you go anon
https://www.etsy.com/listing/227325839/
>>
>>8847235
>I was considering Fate stuff too.

Hell fucking yes.
>>
Hey guys, I have a question. I made a bottle charm with a mushroom inside, I used cold porcelain tinted with oil. The thing is, will the resin absorb the tint?
>>
>>8846859
I was about to buy the Pebeo Crystal Resin Kit as it's the easiest to get my hands on for now. But I live in a small flat with no good ventilation, no workshop is available. My (super safety conscious) Dad who has been fibreglassing for years insists I'll need a respirator or at least a face mask to use resin in doors. Is this true?
>>
>>8851341
I live in a tiny place and use a face mask with filters. There's fumes and they can get strong at times. Best to protect your health.
>>
>>8851341
Someone else earlier asked a similar question. You could try UV resin since there is no mixing involved or shrinky dinks. Honestly I probably dont practice the best safety. I just do my resin at my desk in my room. I usually just wear gloves.
>>
>>8851341
Yes you'll need a proper respirator with the appropriate filters if you want to avoid breathing in the harmful fumes. My biggest pet peeve is youtubers who recommend/use disposable dust masks, that is not good safety equipment
>>
>>8851341
You should get one. They're not that expensive honestly, I found a few at B&Q and Amazon that cost about £15-30. It's something that'll last a while and it'll protect you from the fumes.
>>
>>8851358
>>8851408
>>8851435

Thanks for your advice anons I'm glad I asked! I'll buy the respirator and the gloves before I start, better safe than sorry.
>>
>>8851435
Yes dust masks do literally nothing, they're for dust not gasses that go straight through them.
>>
>>8850655
It happens with bar top resin too so I guess its to be expected.
>>
>>8850656
I kinda like the Mod Podge stuff. It feels easier to pipe out. Its definitely not what I'd use for a phone case or anything but for stuff that isn't always being handled or shoved in a purse it seems alright.
>>
>>8850162
>>8850615
Thanks guys! This really helps.
>>
Is there a market for gothic resin jewelry and goods? I feel like most webshops stock sweet lolita and kawaii accessories so I'm hesitant to open a shop if the demand isn't there.
>>
>>8851263
Better seal it to be safe.
>>
>>8851475
They're only good for filtering particles. So if you're /just/ sanding, it's fine. Fumes, not so much.

It's not cost effective to invest in a respirator and the filters since an opened pack of filters is only good for up to 72-ish hours if you store it in an air-tight container/zip lock bag. (maybe 48, can't remember now). Whether you're actively wearing and breathing with it or not, it is still filtering. My opinion is that it's best to do it outdoors or with lots of windows open + a fan to circulate the air. Working with "low-oder" resins helps with this.

If you go the mask route, remember to look for N95/P95 ratings or higher. The N and P just denote whether it is oil-proof (P) or not (N), which isn't needed in this application.
>>
>>8846938
legit love the cat and want it
>>
>>8850408
link for squids please
>>
>>8851896
I'm actually going to be taking custom commission orders for the squids on tumblr soon, I dont have any on etsy or anything like that.
>>
>>8851963
Having a legitimate online store would protect you from bad sales.
>>
>>8850589
>>8850787
>>8850615
Thanks for this useful information guys! Another question, I don't want to invest so much into resin casting since I am making a few charms for myself, should I just get normal two part resin or invest into UV resin since I already have a UV lamp.
>>
>>8849351
>>8849394
>>8849938

thank you guys so much! this I'll keep this all in mind when I start. Its lovely seeing everyones works and it really inspires me to try it out!
>>
Is a hairdryer an ok substitute for a heatgun when popping bubbles, or would it just make bubbles worse?
>>
>>8851993
Apparently it can be, just don't get it too close or you'll blow all your resin out of the mold.
>>
File: image.jpg (194 KB, 750x992) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194 KB, 750x992
Thanks everyone for the constructive criticism for my resin charms! I'm still really new to resin so I really appreciate it. At this point I'm just trying to take better photos of my stuff since I'm horrible at photography.
>>
>>8851963
I have a legit shop. I have an etsy, but I only post finished projects there. I guess using that would at least hopefully get me more feedback. I just don't really see a difference between working through etsy or just using direct invoices through paypal.
>>
>>8851989
Both have their good and bad points. UV resin is more expensive and you get less of it. It's easy to work with and cures SUPER fast. 2-part resin is cheaper and you get way more, but there's the danger of it spilling (happened to me so many times and it's always a pain) or mixing it wrong (wrong proportions, not mixing enough, getting millions of microbubbles, etc) and you have to guess how much resin to use, so you tend to end up wasting some of it.
I'd say to go for UV resin, if only because it's so much easier to work with, but it's really up to you. If you go for normal resin I recommend epoxy resin. If you go for UV, Padico has hard, soft and gummy type resins. They're pricey but they last.
>>
>>8852300
You can make your own lightbox for product photos for pretty cheap. Also consider getting a better camera in general. You don't need a $600 piece of equipment or anything, just something better than a camera phone.
>>
File: sorry.png (771 KB, 556x738) Image search: [Google]
sorry.png
771 KB, 556x738
>>8852300
Mega shitty edit here.
Your pics are a bit too dark and there's not enough contrast. How/where do you take them? Do you shoop them much at all, or do you prefer to leave them unedited? Try taking pics of your products on a solid white background with light sources at different angles (things like lamps and torches, even a tiny shitty pocket torch, can make a difference) and see which ones look best. Don't just take pics of them lying flat, either. Hang them up with a covered cork board and pins, prop them up against something, hang them from a hook or something. It'll all affect the way the light hits the piece and you'll get better results if you take some time to study how to best get the glitter to show up.You might have to invest in less yellow lightbulbs or take them outdoors on a sunny day though.
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I haven't had a lot of sleep lately.
>>
>>8852300
well for start dont use a notebook with writing in...
and sort out the tangled up chains and other products hanging in the back ground
you can literally google "how to take product photos for etsy/ebay/etc" to get advice
>>
File: 1.jpg (130 KB, 735x1102) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
130 KB, 735x1102
Found this on pintrest and thought some people might find it useful.
>>
>>8852851
I use Craftin' Easy Cast and it has never cured yellow, always clear. So I don't know what's up with that.
>>
>>8852851
>>8853017
Same. I've used over 16oz worth of Easy Cast, and it's always clear. Whoever made this must have used an old/bad batch.
>>
>>8853017
There was an anon earlier who said their easycast yellowed over time so maybe that's what the chart meant?
>>
>>8847451
You have a link to your shop? I love those crystals
>>
File: PRODUCT-PHOTO-SAMPLE-RESIZE.jpg (169 KB, 580x500) Image search: [Google]
PRODUCT-PHOTO-SAMPLE-RESIZE.jpg
169 KB, 580x500
>>8852300
Okay, anon. I'm not sure how much help this will be, but I did a fake "product photo shoot" for you.
I don't actually have any resin pieces to do a test on for you, so I used a piece of normal-fag jewelry and some clear nail polish.

I set it up so that I have two books stacked on top of each other, with a piece of cheap muslin draped over it for a backdrop. You can use whatever color you want obviously, but I'd stick to white as to not drown out/distract from the gorgeous colors on your pieces.

I set them up in a more visually interesting way than just shooting from above. You can still see the necklace clearly, though.

I have a desk lamp that I covered with a test zipper pouch (you can just cover it with fabric, or tape a piece of paper over it) I made of the same muslin I have on the books, to diffuse the light so the shadows aren't so harsh and distracting. It's angled above. I could have angled it better, as to avoid the dark shadows on the backdrop. (To do this, just angle it more towards the front of the product, but make sure your shadow isn't casting on the frame.)

I uploaded the RAW photos to my computer, then auto adjusted the white balance, and the curves in lightroom. They looked good to me, so I just cropped it and converted to jpeg.

Tadaa. Easy enough.

I'm not a pro or anything, just thought it might help.
>>
>>8852851
Huh. I've tried Envirotex Jewelry, Envirotex Lite, and Amazing Clear Cast, and they've all worked pretty much the same and they've allll yellowed. I'm so frustrated with it. I'd like to sell some resin pieces, but every piece I've ever made has gone a at least a little yellow after a few months. I wouldn't want to sell them if they were going to do that.
I'm wondering if it's the climate? I never leave them in the sun, they're always in a box inside my house. But I live in a hot and dry area.
I'm thinking about investing in a more expensive resin, like Ice Resin or the Resin Obsession one. But if Amazing Clear Cast is considered so good, I don't know if it would be worth it if it'll just yellow too.
>>
>>8847235
>Fate stuff
Anon, could I please have a link to your store? I'm a huge Fate fan.
>>
File: 28474638_big_p8.jpg (122 KB, 590x874) Image search: [Google]
28474638_big_p8.jpg
122 KB, 590x874
>>8853303
>>8851069
I posted my shop link here! >>8848481 Don't want to seem like I'm spamming.

I haven't started making any other anime stuff yet but I'd love to do Fate, I just wouldn't know how many characters or which ones to do. There would be a Gilgamesh for sure at least.

>>8848532
Thank you very much!
>>
>>8853373
>Gilgamesh
Goddamn he's my favorite servant. Please post here if you make it because I'll snap it up in an instant.
>>
>>8848481
>https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Baumhauslolita
aw fuck, I was going to buy a dress from you! we talked when you were just setting up shop. sorry anon, I haven't flaked away, I'll try to get to ordering soon (real life happened earlier). I love that you've added headbows to your selection, they're lovely!
>>
>>8853267
I prefer Castin' Craft clear resin (the middle image) none of my pieces have yellowed and as long as it's cast in temperatures over 75 degrees F, I never have issues with bubbling. When it's colder, I tend to get bubbles. Plus it can be tinted a little bit with acrylics without any problems. I've accidentally squeezed more than what I should have in it and while it was bendy for a few days, it hardened up. Normally I just dab the tip of a craft stick into the paint and mix it in prior to adding the catalyst. Though i do own a ton of powder pigments now so I don't plan on using paint in the future. However, it didn't set up right in other resins I've tried, as people have explained in other threads. I have a shell I made last September with easy cast that is still pliable. lol Although you have to be careful with the amount of catalyst you put in it, otherwise the pieces can easily become brittle and if they're dropped they can break easily. Honestly out of the types I've tried, I really prefer it. It's more expensive, but I can cast a huge batch in two days and have plenty of product for various shows.
>>
>>8853267
>>8852851I have the envirotex jewelry but haven't used it yet. Why does it say not to use it in molds or for deep pours?
>>
>>8853935
I'm going to say that it probably doesn't cure properly in large amounts. I use the jewelry resin but only for domeing and bezels.
>>
>>8848021
Do you plan on restocking the galaxy cutie pin? I absolutely love it
>>
https://www.etsy.com/listing/267346400/

I decided to put the squids up on my shop and do a pre-order so I can make a bunch and send them out all in one go. I know a few people here wanted a link. (Sorry my shop is so empty, I'm still working on getting things up)
>>
>>8853126
Almost all resin yellows over time. It's just the extent to which it yellows. When we say yellow, people think banana yellow, but sometimes it's very subtle and you can't tell unless you compare it to a new/clear piece. I believe yellowing is caused by oxidation and breakdown of polymers, but that can only be the case for polyurethane resins, like what BJD's are made of.
It can also be accelerated by exposure to heat and sunlight, like was mentioned earlier in the thread.
>>
>>8854653
As far as I know all resin yellows over time. Like you said, though, it's really subtle and you can hardly tell in most cases.
>>
File: spacey.png (828 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
spacey.png
828 KB, 800x600
>>8849246
I do front, then back.

>>8853139
It's here >>8848021

>>8854288
It's not exactly the same, but here's at least one that's being made.
>>
>>8848481
>>8847648
People who want pendant settings that fit 4x3cm, 8seasons carries them for cheaper than the etsy shop.

http://www.8seasons.com/ProductSearch.html?keyword=fits+4cm+x+3cm

They're just hard to search for because lol, the way their site is set up. In the above link some pendants that are total 4x3 sneak in, but it's mostly what you're looking for.
>>
File: IMG_20160210_061224.jpg (221 KB, 1080x805) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160210_061224.jpg
221 KB, 1080x805
Noob here, sorry if these are dumb questions. Can something like pic related be made with resin? How hard would it be to paint resin directly?
>>
>>8850408
What shrinkies do you (and others) use? I would really like to do some simple charms with shrinky dinks and resin for gifts, but I'm a total noob.
>>
>>8852851
Why is it that some resins can't be used for doming? Also, is Castin Craft Easy Cast really that soft?
>>
>>8857370
I would say yes totally. I don't know about painting resin though. I have seen some projects where artists paint a layer and then seal it with another later (there's a guy that does this and makes 3D looking fish in buckets, it's pretty neat). I would say for this just paint on paper/cardstock/whatever, seal it, and then fill in with resin once put into the frame.

>>8857383
From the infographic it seems that if a resin is too runny it won't dome properly because it'll all just run off so that's probably why.
>>
>>8857383
I have personally never had problems with my easy cast setting soft, but I have heard of people who use it have.
I think it is because you can't use a scale and just have to kind of eye-ball that they are equal parts. If you fuck up you get a soft piece (not enough hardener) or a brittle piece (too much hardener)
>>
>>8847451
Would you be willing to source the shop for your molds?
>>
>>8857370
If you want to do this with resin, you're gonna have to be very patient. Use thinned down acrylics, preferably the kind that's got a decent amount of pigment, and paint in layers. Do the background first, cover it with a thin layer of resin, wait for that to dry, then paint the rest. You could use coloured resin for the background too.
Just remember to work slowly,and don't be discouraged if the paint looks too pale. You need to build up a shitload of layers because it'll look streaky and nasty otherwise, just keep painting until you're happy with the colour.
Oh, and don't forget to seal the paint with more resin. Doming should be done with thick resin so it doesn't go everywhere, and go slowly. Bubbles in this layer will be extremely noticeable.
>>
>>8857429
Just look up silicone resin frame molds on ebay. Super cheap from china. I have the same ones.
>>
>>8857383
I use easy cast and it changes. Sometimes it's too soft for thinner things (and fine for thicker things, but they dent easily), and sometimes it's totally solid. I measure well so I'm guessing it's humidity or some other factor that determines.
>>
>>8857909
When it's softer, is it still fine for doming? I was looking at >>8852851 and it lists it as suitable for doming but also says it's soft.
>>
>>8857916
I dome the backs of my resin items no problem. That guide immediately turned me off by saying that Clear Cast yellows (it doesn't, some pieces I have are older than a year and are still fine), so I wouldn't use that guide as the bible. Just use an even surface and don't let it go over the side. Once it's over the edge it's everywhere.
>>
>>8857382
I use Lucky Squirrel brand. I buy it online cause no stores near me carry any kind of shrink plastic. I like the clear and transparent ones best.
>>
File: 1340908229767.jpg (182 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1340908229767.jpg
182 KB, 1440x810
>>8853871
It's all good, anon! Thanks for being interested when I was setting up, honestly gave me more confidence to continue on.
>>
>>8856174
These are adorable! I love the spaceship one and the crystals.
>>
File: gede-resin.jpg (296 KB, 1422x1500) Image search: [Google]
gede-resin.jpg
296 KB, 1422x1500
Has anyone used the Pebeo Gedeo Resins? I've read that they take a bit longer than other resin to set, any other tips?
>>
>>8859691
I've used it. I don't know if it's because I'm terrible at mixing, or because I live in the UK, or because I got a shitty batch, but it takes for fucking ever to set. I once had to leave a batch out for nearly three weeks until I could get it out of the mold. It needed another week or so indoors for it to fully harden.
However, when the resin finally decides to get its shit together, it's fine. It's a decent hardness, it's clear, and it's not prone to bubbles. It's easy to mix (you might have to warm the resin up a bit beforehand if it's cold, just leave it indoors for a few hours to make it thinner) and easy to colour. The only problem I've had with it is the painful curing time, but as I said, I'm pretty sure I'm the exception in this case.
>>
>>8859936
Actually, a lot of the reviews I've read online mention that it takes longer than other resin to dry, so it's not just you (although nobody mentions quite that long!). Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>8857383
I've had one piece cast soft when I first started using resin. It was because I didn't measure out my 1:1 ratio. I just kinda eyeballed it and ended up not adding enough hardener.
>>
File: 0.jpg (77 KB, 570x442) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
77 KB, 570x442
So I want to make brooches out of my bezel resin projects. Do I need to solder these to the backs of the bezels, or will a special glue do? If glue, what's the recommended brand for weighty crafts like that?
>>
>>8860146
I use E6000. Only comes off if I pull and twist really hard.
>>
>>8860146
Glue is fine, just take care not to use too much so it doesn't ooze all over the bezel or glue the pin shut.
>>
>>8860153
>>8860204
Thanks. I'll pick up some E6000 soon.
>>
>>8860395
warning, make sure to get clear. got white once by accident.

also the tube often oozes or overflows so have a lot of projects lined up to use the ooze before it stops. this will save product as well as make taking the cap off easier next time (otherwise the overflow fills and glues the cap to itself)
>>
>>8860146
I actually use a little bit of resin as glue.
Haven't had any come off yet
>>
Hey guys, I have a problem and I really hope you can help me out. I bought a brandless resin which only marks where an A and a B on the bottle caps. I tried mixing it 1:1 to make a charm but after 3 days, its still sticky. I cant search for the proper mixing quantity because I dont know what the brand is. Can you guys tell me what the regular mixing proccess is?
>>
>>8860987
You can't really guess. Some resins are 1:1. Some are 1:2. Some are measured by weight instead of volume. It might just take forever to cure. Try keeping it in a warm dry place and check on it every few days, if it doesn't harden at all scrape it out and wipe the mold clean with rubbing alcohol.
>>
>>8860987
are the bottles the same size?
>>
>>8861144
Oh, I see. I guess I'll have to try with 1:2 to see what happens... thank you!

>>8861145
Yes, they are, the exact same size, why?
>>
>>8861172
Usually if they are the same size it is a 1:1 ratio
1:2 ratio one bottle will be half the size
>>
>>8861178
Ill try again the next time, I may just have measured it bad. Thank you for your help!
>>
This isn't strictly resin, but I thought it might be appropriate for this thread because of the doming uses.

I went to a bead show last year and a company was doing free demos of this stuff with glass cabochons. Obviously it doesn't work for custom shaped domes, but for standard cabochons and cameos it seemed to work pretty well. Has anybody used this type of acrylic glaze/glue/whatever it is? I'd like to know if it's worth it to bother with premade glass cabochons or if I should go straight for resin doming.

(If this should go in the general AA thread just let me know and I'll delete and move it.)
>>
File: ad100_1_grande.jpg (47 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ad100_1_grande.jpg
47 KB, 600x600
>>8861199
Dropped my damn file. I'm assuming this is some sort of acrylic resin glaze, but I don't really know.
>>
when you use colored chains, what do you do about clasps and jump rings?
>>
>>8861199

Different anon, totally off topic, but how are bead shows? Is it worth going for the classes and products? I was thinking of going to one for a while now since I love beads and pendants of any type.
>>
>>8861314
Just pick gold or silver. I'm not as noticeable as you think it is. All the focus is on her charms and chains, not a .2 cent piece of metal.
>>
>>8849369
Sorry but I don't understand how a bail would forgo all of that?
>>
>>8861527
because you glue it on, put a chain through it and you're done?
>>
>>8861527
You don't need to drill a hole for a bail, you glue it on.
>>8861314
Pick whichever tone most suits the piece. Usually it's the size of the clasps and jump rings that matter, because nobody expects a pastel blue jump ring to match the chain but a too-big jump ring will look awkward and out of place.
>>
>>8846938
Don't trust a hoe
Goddammit this takes me back.
They look cute.
>>
>>8861527
Do you not know what a bail is?
>>
File: glowinthedarkresinhelp.png (817 KB, 950x827) Image search: [Google]
glowinthedarkresinhelp.png
817 KB, 950x827
I've been very much wanting to get in to glow in the dark resin casting for some cosplay props but also for jewelry. I just learned how to do the resin cast for gems but I'm at a loss on ratio and what might be needed for glow in the dark resin casting.

The images of the glowing objects, from what I can tell, have all been done with a resin and I'm guessing it's with the powder that's shown on the bottom? I've tried asking other online sellers about pointers or tips or just HOW they got their objects to glow so bright and in colors like reds and oranges but the only answers I've gotten were "trade secrets", which I can understand. It's annoying to do all this hard work only for someone to ask and then run off and make their own things using your time and effort formula.

Yet here I am asking, sorry about that. I'm just wanting to know if I'm at least on the right path of purchasing the glow pigment powders and normal resin, mixing and setting them in molds and just how much pigment is needed? Or is there a special resin to use or stay away from?
>>
>>8861648
I use powder. Some colours are way stronger than others, some barely glow (but it's still visible), and it's a pain to measure out the right amounts so I tend to eyeball it. It sinks, so wait for the resin to become tacky and sprinkle it on like you would glitter. If you want to mix it in wait until the resin is more viscous. Just play around with it, you don't need all that much powder to get a decent glow. As you're doing it for cosplay, I'd use quite a lot and maybe play around with mixing powders to see if it has any effect on the intensity of the glow, never done this myself so I can't say if it works well but it wouldn't take much time or effort to do. It'll make your costume stand out, anyway.
Also, that 'trade secret' stuff sounds super petty desu. The glow is probably a combination of photoshop and good quality powders, and nobody likes to admit that they have to enhance the selling point of the products they're selling.
>>
>>8861648
I just eye ball it. I don't have a specific ratio but it really depends on the color you want and the quality of your glow powder
>>
>>8861660
A little petty yeah. I understand her probable annoyance since she's a pretty big glow in the dark seller on etsy (papillion9 I believe) so she must get asked a lot but she's also had her photos stolen and used for China sites but all that aside, I felt a bit disheartened to continue.

mysoulshard did the bottom glowing necklaces in >>8861648 and I bought from him before and they're super pretty and bright but I can def see them using some manipulation to make them appear brighter.

Thank you so much for the insight. So is it just normal resin that can work with it?

And for molds, would silicone be okay or should it always be a plastic like surface so they come out better? I kind of wanted to make glowing Rupees from Zelda or the glowing Spiritual Stones.

>>8861668
Those are super cute! Thanks. I'll test around with the easier/cheaper colors (greens and blues) before I test any reds since the red seems to be the most expensive of the powders.
>>
>>8861321
I really enjoyed myself. I didn't take any of the classes since I went on a whim, but it was great fun to just wander around the show floor.

There were of course a lot of older-lady-hobbyist types, but the prices certainly seemed better than retail, and I was able to find a ton of really awesome semiprecious beads. I definitely had trouble keeping the magpie side of me in check.
>>
>>8861678
Both silicone and plastic work, as long as the inside of the mold is shiny they'll come out shiny. And yes, any resin works.
>>
what are your guys favorite go to molds? I'm looking at some basic food molds right now for your bread and butter shapes, and was wondering which you guys like best for size, shape, ease of use, etc. Also what dimensions should I go for with your average sticker with background piece? Looks like larger stickers can be up to 1.5 inches so should I start there or look to shave stickers down?

>>8861684

That sounds super fun! I should definitely take a trip to one some day.
>>
>>8862499
I'm browsing this shop right now, but I feel like I might be better off ordering from aliexpress for most of them.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/MermaidsImpression
>>
>>8862499
I think circles/domes, hearts and rectangles are the go to shapes for most people. Please stay away from the overdone skeleton cameo. As for stickers, it depends, most of them can fit comfortably in just about any resin mold. Bigger stickers are the exception, so if you get huge molds you're gonna have to get creative with filling the space left when you use normal stickers.
>>
>>8849665
>been into resin last months
>thought it was unique and cool
>see lots of indie designers doing it
>see 4chan thread and add
Is this a trend I should jump into or not..even when I think it looks awesome, it's not really cheap and not original at all anymore. As a designer I just really don't want to jump on trends because they're there.
>>
>>8862509

I looked at this one too, but I think I'll just stick to basic shapes for now and order from Ali when CNY is over. They have pretty things though!

>>8862638
Nah, I'm not really into the skeleton trend. I just wanted a good circular/square/heart mold to put my stickers/findings in. Any other tips? I was thinking of an approximate 1.5 in for diameter in all of my mold actually.
>>
>>8862675
If you like it try it. You shouldn't dismiss something because too many people are into it, otherwise you're going to hipster your way into doing fuck all. Resin is fun to work with, people do all sorts of different things with it, if you want to test your creativity just go for it and see what you can make that nobody else has done before.
>>
>>8862675
Resin is a medium not a trend. It's completely up to you what you do with it. You don't have to make everything pastel and candy glitter filled
>>
>>8862688
>>8862509
I just bought some basic cabochon dome molds from her, because they fit the bezels I've been buying, and allow extra space for things as opposed to doming. Chinese new year needs to be over already so I can get my adorable stickers.
>>
>>8861668
These are really cute.
>>
File: SE-1930X-2.jpg (245 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
SE-1930X-2.jpg
245 KB, 500x500
What are your opinions regarding the use of other source's images in resin pieces? Pic related, I have some official San-X Sentimental Circus stickers & I would like to make it into resin accessories. Will it be a problem if I were to sell it? I'm not sure if it's good ethic to include images as such in my pieces.
>>
>>8864292
i would be pissed as fuck if someone did that. it's definitely not alright to use official images to sell, and it's barely alright to use generic things.
>>
>>8864292
I seen people use official hello kitty stickers and other official stickers from san-x to make resin pieces and sell them. I find nothing wrong with it desu.
>>
>>8864292
You purchased a product, and decide to incorporate it into your craft project. Seems fair game to me, although I don't know what the exact legality of this is. I mean it's not necessarily taking sales away because you're selling a new product, just using their existing one, and it's not like you found an image online and printed it off to use without giving the company any money.

Although I can see how doing it with an indie artist's art would be a bit of a dick move, since it's generally harder for smaller companies to generate a profit.
>>
>>8864292
As long as you weren't just making copies of the stickers but using the real sticker so once the sticker you validly purchased is gone it's gone
>>
>>8864292
I think as long as you're selling them as hand crafted one of a kind pieces and nit official products them that's fine. The official stickers are probably better quality and less prone to water damage.
>>
>>8864292
The way I figure it, when it comes down to resin crafts like these, artists are selling their aesthetic of the juxtaposition. Not official products.
>>
>>8864292
If it's official work, that's okay as long as you're not selling it as an official piece. If it's indie, fuck no.
>>
>>8864303
>>8864311
>>8864320
>>8864322
>>8864324
>>8864332
>>8864453
Thanks for the response everyone!
I don't intend to use indie artist's works without their permission as I do think it's a jerk move too. If I really ended up selling pieces with these stickers, I will only use the official stickers that I purchased in the pieces & credits will be properly stated linking back to the official source.
>>
>>8861200
Does it list the ingredients anywhere? I don't think I've ever seen something like it before, it looks pretty cool.
>>
Is mod podge matte less likely to leave brush streaks than the gloss?
>>
>>8862988
I actually just got a package from China today, lol. I don't know how it arrived so quickly, it wasn't tracked and I bought it a week before CNY. My stickers are still in New Year hell, though.
>>
>>8846859
Do people over the age of 14 actually pay money for these?
>>
Do I need to treat threads and fibers before encasing them inside resin, or will they be good?
>>
>>8868405
I never know what to expect with chinese shippers. Aliexpress is really a mixed bag. I've gotten things that are stated to take 30-90 days, in only 13.
>>
>>8868644
You should probably seal them before encasing them. However, you can seal them with resin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unoYOD7eGuU
>>
any tips on where to find cute wing charms and open heart frames?
>>
>>8870683
Ali, etsy and ebay are your best bets. I don't think I've ever seen open heart frames, though.
>>
>>8862499
oh man at first I thought that said bread and butter like a slice of toast with butter on it and i was like "that's hella cool" haha. I personally prefer smaller resin pieces (~1 inch) but I think 1.5 might be better so that people can actually see the sticker design.
and btw, be careful with what food molds you work with. i tried casting in some food molds once and my resin came out like a sticky jelly and i had to cut the mold off of my resin piece to get it out.

>>8868411
yes. those people are called tumblrinas. a tumblrina i know is 24 and has a necklace like that that says "anime trash". she bought said necklace for $40+ship too, so if you know how to pander to tumblrinas, do it by all means.
>>
>>8870683
The mermaid impression linked earlier has heart frames.
>>
>>8870837
Some molds aren't made with resin safe materials, but it can be a real pain to find out which ones aren't suitable because sellers like to cram every keyword known to man in the description to get more views.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.