[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this true? Especially >Cosplayers spend upwards of $200-$600
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: CZcei_6UEAAtBTd.jpg (177 KB, 1024x744) Image search: [Google]
CZcei_6UEAAtBTd.jpg
177 KB, 1024x744
Is this true?

Especially
>Cosplayers spend upwards of $200-$600 on a single costume's material, sometimes even double that!
>There are 5 major facets of cosplayers. They are ranked below by popularity.
>Comics > Steampunk > Gaming >Lolita > Anime
>>
>>8829349
This is so ridiculous. Lolita isn't cosplay wtf
>>
>>8829349
>can't even spell the store name correctly

this is unprofessional, what the fuck kind of lazy ass threw this presentation together?
>>
>>8829357
You do realize though that normies do see it as cosplay. Sorry, anon, but that's basically how it is. No need to be so upset. Just educate.
>>
>>8829360
You'd be surprised and not surprised at all at the same time by finding out the source
>>
>>8829349
How did this author do their research? Google cosplay and mash every third word together?
>>
>>8829349
From a cosplayer-
$200 is about the average cosplayers spend per costume
Those 5 genres pretty much cover them but theres no ranking of popularity
>>
>>8829349
Is this for some Simplicity company presentaiton because these are all Simplicity patterns and very recent at that. Or maybe Joann since they're launching the fabric line soon?
>>
>>8829369
$200 does seem average for someone who is making their own costume that is fabric-centric, but having it as the "low" end in the information sheet does seem ridiculous.
>>
>>8829361
>Just educate.

lol is that not what they're doing by saying "lolita isn't cosplay" though

seriously, if you're a cosplayer making this dumb poster then you should know better. if you're some idiot normalfag doing this then I can see how maybe they'd do this but it's literally a fact that lolita isn't cosplay, so who gives a shit if that's how normies see it? just because someone sees something a certain way doesn't mean that's how you need to refer to it as? that's a really shit argument
>>
>>8829388
You're being way too mad about this. I understand you might be a lolita, but seeing someone as decked out as lolitas are, it does look more like a costume for a musical or dance performance. To normal people and sometimes yes, cosplayers who don't know any better, it looks like a costume or cosplay. Lolita is such a niche fashion while cosplay is more widely known as a 'thing'. People viewing lolita can easily mistake it as being a costume, not a real type of fashion because of that. Whether the person who made this is a cosplayer or a normal person [going to guess a normie because of the images used since a cosplayer would know better with those outfits], educating them on the fashion would be more mature.
>>
>>8829395
I mean I guess but also this is cgl so I feel like people should feel free to be pissed because who cares this is cgl

and like, yes I understand people see it as a costume, but I'm saying "well, they see it as a costume so we're gonna call it a costume" is seriously bad logic. like, whether it's niche or not, we all know that, I'm just saying that you saying "they see it like cosplay so who cares if this is being called cosplay" is a really stupid thing to say...

I'm not even mad at the poster calling it a cosplay (i'm not that other anon), I'm at your retarded logic lol.
>>
>>8829349
$200 seems rather high unless you're making an intricate costume. I would say $100 is the most average price for a simple costume accounting everything (costume, wig, accessories)

and while those are usually the most common (although lolita isn't really cosplay), the ranking this person established is very off. anime series still get more cosplays than western comics, the latter of which you only normally see in comic cons in america exclusively.
>>
>>8829349
>being this new
>>
>>8829407
it's a presentation for Joann and the stats probably refer to the top-selling patterns in costume lines. not many anime costume patterns for sale at a craft store.
>>
>>8829364
why can't you reveal the source? you already posted the image.
>>
>>8829388
>>8829402
I'm not sure if the other anon is trying to say the same thing, but I don't think this was made by a cosplayer (leading to references to normies). I think this was made by an employee forced to put something together after their boss said "I see we get a lot of these cosplayers people in the shop, do something for that demographic". Minimal research later, and you get this.
>>
>>8829445
The fact that the sheet specifically says "music band anime and manga characters" makes me think the person found that anime/manga cosplays are all K-ON! and Love Live!
>>
>>8829360
That.....is how "Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts" spells it. They just missed an apostrophe maybe?
>>
>>8829465
see the "Jo-Anns"?
>>
>>8829407
$100 really isn't a lot for a costume. I spend probably around $300 each... Maybe more, but I make armour, or things from real leather, and buy lace front wigs.

Good cosplays aren't cheap and cheap cosplays aren't good.
>>
>>8829388
>taking the bait

Come on, anon
>>
>>8829407
Well yeah, if youre wearing your basic anime school uniform with a wig (and maybe even contacts) then around $100 is about right.

But when you buy 3-4 different kinds of fabric for all the pieces in the costume, foam or worbla (or both) for armor, patterns, wig, contacts, materials for props (pvc, wood, foam, etc), shoes, then plus all the little things (snaps, velcro, zipper, belts, etc) $200 is not surprising at all I think. I havent done much cosplay but the two that Im proud of have both been over $200, and that was with me being cheap with materials because Im still relatively new.
>>
>>8829586
Yeah, even waiting for sales, not over buying, and not even using pricy materials like worbla, I'd average $150-$200 for each costume.
>>
>>8829371
Joann is launching a 'cosplay fabrics' line soon, combined with the fact that Simplicity released a 'Costumes and Cosplay' book of patterns recently
>>
>>8829349
>>Cosplayers spend upwards of $200-$600 on a single costume's material, sometimes even double that!

Entirely true. Those of us at that level of skill/budget aren't spending our money at Joann's, though, that's for damn sure. It's normal for me to spend over $150 on a full costume (and I don't do armor, only sewing), and the only things I buy at Joann's are full bolts of muslin when 50%, interfacing when 50%, and the rare few yards of Casa satin. That's literally it. Joann's apparel fabric selection is small with shitty quality and ludicrous pricing.
>>
>>8829349
5 major facets, LOL, my ass! Who the fuck wrote this BS?
>>
>>8830365
This though a friend whose a branch manager leaked a list of fabrics and prices on facebook. It's certainly an interesting sounding selection though the prices are $20-40 a yard.
>>
>>8830468
And I'll eat my hat if the fair value of each one is more than 1/3 of what they're priced at. My local fabric store has nicer wool blends for $6/yd than Joann's has for $22. Their pricing and "sales" and "coupons" are such a joke it's insulting.
>>
>>8830468
>>8830611
The only thing I might consider buying will be the 4-way stretch matte spandex for a friend's costume. Most of the other stuff sounds like things that look great on Yaya but not as much on the rest of us.
>>
>>8830468
any chance we can get some more details on the fabrics/prices like a list or something? if only to snicker over we can (most likely) get most of what they want to offer for cheap on other sites.
>>
>>8830851
*THAT we can.
>>
>>8829349
>Cosplayers spend upwards of $200-$600 on a single costume's material, sometimes even double that!

I think it depends on what your'e doing. Most of my costumes are pretty basic with a prop but if you tally it up they're usually in the $400-900 range. Unless you're just doing a school uniform I can't see many cosplays being under $200 though, so the quotes pretty believable. Especially considering a wig alone with shipping usually runs $60-100.
>>
>>8830863
I don't think they're counting wigs or makeup in that total since they sell neither. When I total up "materials" for a costume it's just fabric, notions, and actual construction supplies.
>>
>>8830869
this. especially since this seems to be from a joann's presentation, we can assume "materials" means stuff you can buy at Joann's. so fabric, trim, notions, patterns, light crafting stuff like sculpy, etc.
>>
>>8830851
I have the entire stack of pricing and detail sheets in front of me, it's not that exciting. Expect the usual prices and quality and always use coupons. God just coupon this stuff before the 25% off sale hits, because that's going to suck.
>>
>>8830851
>>8830883
Also lots of pictures of Yaya's tits in various signage and banner layouts. We're going to be staring at her tits from February to Halloween.
>>
>>8830863
>>8830869 has it right, "materials" is likely just what's in store, not counting wigs, shoes, contact lenses, and armor/special effects items, all items that cost a lot more than the fabric parts really since very few people can/will make them from scratch and you are forced to buy some sort of base item(s) at the very least.

$200-$600 sounds doable if you never bargain-hunt or use coupons and mess up once or twice during construction. Too bad that most people who'd fall under the target demographic are teens/broke college students or grandmas trying to make their granddaughter's "cos-play" costume for free.
>>
>>8830883
Is there coutil? That's the only thing I care about, with the possibility to save a few dollars by not having to order it through a corset supply website.
>>
>>8830905
According to http://cosplayfabrics.com, there should be, but I'm not finding it (the specific word) on the list. Maybe it's under a different name.

Does anyone know what "Ultrapreme" is? Is it a brand name for some sort of spandex-type fabric?
>>
File: CZihTdnUYAATI5.jpg (82 KB, 1024x390) Image search: [Google]
CZihTdnUYAATI5.jpg
82 KB, 1024x390
>>8829349

More about what those "5 major facets of cosplayers" are.
>>
>>8830932
>Amine

Glysine is my favorite anime acid.
>>
The categories really aren't that crazy we jsut don't really tend to think of it that way and they're missing a few.

>LARP/SCA
>Ravers
>Furries
>Western cartoons
>SciFi
>Teaboo dramas
>Bands/Idols

Most cosplayers don't seem to pick just one category to stick to.
>>
>>8830963
>implying Glycine will ever be as unique as my Lysine-chan
Fucking non-chirals, when will they learn.
>>
>>8830914
no, coutil would be listed as coutil.....it doesn't go by anything else. i can't imagine them calling it "corset strengthener" or something like that

also ultrapreme sounds like a proprietary name for something.....i'd guess a leatherette or spandex
>>
>>8831229
Google only really turns up the Cosplay Fabrics website and this expired patent: http://www.tmfile.com/mark/?q=724224454
>>
>>8831229
Ultrapreme is also $39.99/yd, among the most expensive offerings from the collection. It'd better be something semi-decent.
>>
>>8829349
>cosplay conventions
>>
>>8829349
>Cosply
>Jo-Anns

There is no way in hell I'm going to continuously spend $200-$600 on one fucking costume. I have bills to pay.

Also I'm pretty sure Lolita and Steampunk aren't considered cosplay. Especially since they derived from... fashion.

>>8830932
>Amine

I like how "Pleather" is a fact about gaming cosplay.

Where the fuck did you find this crap?
>>
File: vVAAAxR6Q.jpg (109 KB, 1024x525) Image search: [Google]
vVAAAxR6Q.jpg
109 KB, 1024x525
If the catalog on the left is any indication, Simplicity will be putting out another sailor uniform pattern. Can't wait to see if it's better than McCall's "sailor uniform" hot mess of a pattern.
>>
File: M7141_views.png (253 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
M7141_views.png
253 KB, 1200x1200
>>8831840
McCall's offering, where even the official blog admits that it's shit and only good as a base to modify into a real sailor uniform top.
>>
>>8830932
This made my head hurt. It's like someone spent 5 minutes on google images for cosplay and just made a bunch of shit up.
>>
>>8831747
>I like how "Pleather" is a fact about gaming cosplay.

I laughed my ass off at that too.

I wonder if there's more to this, and if they actually go into what fabrics they should be focusing on and stuff. One of the biggest issues with Jo-Ann for cosplay is their shitty selection of reasonably priced, decent quality solid colored fabrics, and if they actually did their research they'd realize that a good 80% of anime costumes rely on these.

If they were smart, they'd have a whole aisle of $3/yd poplin like the local fabric store does, I can't even count how many costumes my friends and I have made that were pretty nothing but that stuff and which came out looking great.
>>
>>8831846

That top really looks like they misunderstood what the little modesty flap some sailor collars have is supposed to be.
>>
>>8829349
Who wrote this? How did they get a job? I've seen middles choosers make better presentations than this
>>
>>8831871
>$3/yd poplin like the local fabric store does
This. So many costumes are just crazy colorful anime clothes and unless what you need comes in the colors in the suiting section you're out of luck for basic solid polyesters at Joann.
>>
>>8831229
>>8830905
The closest thing on the list is "Yaya Han Cosplay Twill Corset - Fab Black" listed under TWILL CORSET fabric category.

Then there's "Yaya Han Carbon Fiber - Black", not sure what this is, but it sounds intriguing. I'll definitely go check it out.

>>8832053
>>8831848
Maybe it's an intern.
>"Write up what cosplay is for the masses. You have an hour before the company meeting."
>>
>>8832104
ugh, sounds like they're trying to foist off some twill as coutil. do not want.

for the price you mentioned, i'm betting 'ultrapreme' is leatherette/PVC or like a scuba spandex.
>>
>>8831840

That corset pattern gave me so many fucking problems fitting. I figured since Yaya has been sewing for a long time she'd have had the pattern, you know, scaled to normal body size. But it's like they literally took one of her corsets, cut it up, and copied it onto tracing paper. The total bust is insanely big compared to the waist/hips, to the point where I had to take three inches out of the BACK, and the cups are weirdly placed and sized to fit perfectly round spherical shapes instead of actual fucking breasts. WONDER WHY. Not to mention the issues with the construction methods.

1/10 only because I didn't have to resize my vastly superior Truly Victorian to have a center gusset that lays flat against my sternum.
>>
>>8832324
I made a friend recently who also has huge fake boobs and I learned very quickly that she didn't have to learn how to sew with any proper technique since her boobs don't behave like regular body mass. She just puts a million darts everywhere and call it a day, it's terrible.
>>
>>8832424

It's totally unreal. She'd probably get good mileage out of Yaya's pattern, then. Glad I got it for 4$.
>>
File: IMG_6277.jpg (267 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6277.jpg
267 KB, 640x427
>>8832104
>Yaya Han Carbon Fiber - Black

I'd guess this is probably pleather embossed with a carbon fiber pattern. It'll actually be really useful if so - to people who make custom car interior stuff! I'm laughing my ass off imagining somebody getting one of these "carbon" shift boots for his BMW, and it's made out of Yaya fabric.

I wonder how much they paid her for her name. I know "real" celebrities get a huge check for branded stuff like this, but can't imagine a cosplayer would come anywhere close.
>>
>>8832449
I thought that was some sort of carbon fiber codpiece from the thumbnail.

That said, I'm actually looking forward to Yaya's fabrics. I'll see how much they are before buying anything.(Also hope you can use coupons on them and that they aren't an excluded line.)
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.