[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Artist Alley Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: 1394318883444[1].jpg (450 KB, 500x659) Image search: [Google]
1394318883444[1].jpg
450 KB, 500x659
Old one is in autosage >>8808953

>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l-9tZn_PaqsZWkb5SB_aqwh7uvURyoLgdsQiuz_Ty08/edit#gid=0
>Taobao/Alibaba services
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14zGSegr0b-429wZq5_xdMbE9hpLcXg8fqqe0OxnU2Yo/edit#gid=0
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>how to order from Vograce
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>>
Do post suggestions on what the next thread image should be.
Is Corky-Lunn's guide in the right place here, or should it be placed in one of the other sheets? I get the feeling people might not find it then.
>>
>>8826753
Not quite sure if I understand your question you think it should be attached to one of the spreadsheets???
>>
>>8826782
Yeah, sorry, that was worded a bit vague. Should the link be in the OP, or should it instead be inside one of the spreadsheets, is what I meant. It could be in the Taobao/Alibaba spreadsheet, but I guess it's OK like this, because it's the easiest way to find it. It'll prevent most of the basic questions.
>>
>>8826794
imo i think it would get lost in the Alibaba services spreadshet and everyone asking about Vograce wouldn't think to look in there and just post, better to have it outside
>>
In the previous thread, someone was talking about how bad A-kon usually is, but everybody I know really enjoys it. Why is their AA bad? Is it better off skipping this con?
>>
>>8826991
Would also like to know this; I was waitlisted last year and was thinking of applying again this year. It didn't seem that bad but I'm speaking from an outside perspective.
>>
>>8826991
Idk about that anon, maybe they know something else because they're local. I fly in, I love a-kon? I've always made good money there and people have been nice to me. Eh.
>>
>>8827203
The con itself is run poorly and the heads are stubborn as all hell. I haven't done Alley in a while, so I don't know how it runs.
>>
>>8826991
>>8827203
I went to a-kon last year and sales wise it went really well for me. Tables sold out in like 10 seconds so it was a hard grab. I would definitely recommend it. I just had an awful experience because my money pouch was stolen there, but that's hardly the con's fault.

>Oh and apparently some girl got assaulted?
>Sent a cop over to me so I could describe my stolen money bag
>Start talking about what it looked like
>"Hold up, what money? I'm here for the girl that was sexually assaulted" and leaves
>>
>>8827390
Haven't had to deal with any sort of theft yet, but I added a little camera (those dashcam camera types that use a microSD - records the whole day with audio).

Although nothing happened, it was actually very educational re-watching what happens at your table, seeing people that you were out or distracted how they react to certain prints and such. The funniest was when this former friend a-hole/rival happen to sneak by a neighbors table just to spy on our table (and talk some crap-lol caught him) HILARIOUS! made the purchase worthwhile in the end, wouldn't have seen it if the camera was there.
>>
Speaking of A-kon, I applied for the first time last year with a friend and we were waitlisted. Before the con they talked about on-site AA reg and mentioned that there was "Little movement from the waitlist." Are Waitlisters supposed to contact the con on the reg to see if there are open spots or what? How does this work?

Also, if I'm from out of town, how worth it is it to bring stuff in the hopes of getting a spot because of a last second drop?
>>
>>8827674
Can't speak for A-kon, but San Japan in the same state sold them on site if people didn't arrive at a certain time. Only a couple tables got sold, and they weren't to people on the waiting list, just fcfs. However, I didn't see this happening at all at A-kon and as far as I know, every table showed up. So I'd say your chases are pretty low.
In any case, it'd only be worth it if you were attending otherwise or you lived in the area. If spots did open up, they'd be gone quickly. The odds aren't in your favor.
>>
>>8827684
San Japan did onsite? If I'd known I might have gone! I wasn't fast enough to get a table there and had read that the only other way to get a table at SJ was to participate in their art contest.

I saw people in A-kon's AA on Thursday waiting in line at a chance for a last minute AA table, but I usually come from Austin. Thanks for the info.

I'd table at more local cons, but I have trouble finding out when their tables open up for sale.
>>
Probably won't be at a con anytime soon to sell things, but had a few pricing questions.

What's the average going rate for buttons, polymer charms/keychains, and earrings?
>>
>>8827609
Omg, that's great, I need to do that for my next table. Might make it extremely visible just to deter grabby assholes who enjoy smearing body paint and fermented sweat all over my displays.
>>
these threads saved my life
>>
I know this is incredibly general and of course it varies on your own popularity, the con, etc, but for those of you who sell acrylic charms, how many do you bring of each design per con, roughly? I have 3 cons confirmed this year and I was thinking of 20 of each design to cover me for all three cons but i'm not sure.
>>
File: 1443982550550.jpg (66 KB, 309x310) Image search: [Google]
1443982550550.jpg
66 KB, 309x310
I'm curious how many of you have had people snag things from your table? Do you have a friend or two that helps you watch out to prevent these types of happenings?

I want to sell at an AA but thieving turns me off and makes me wary because making a product is time and money and that could be profit goes down the drain when people with sticky fingers come along.

I've considered having glass displays, showing one of each product (charms/pins etc) inside and just having a draw on my side with the mass of things, I've seen people who just have everything spread about their tables and I wonder how they can do it so blatantly.

Same things for plushies that people sell just have one out and the rest stored. I've heard people complain about how they have all their plush out and some random con-goer cuts the black cord and steals it off the display.
>>
>>8828121
it's not common in my country but I can see it happening. I have separate 'display' copies of everything i'm selling so I don't really count them as stock... there's little things you can do to deter theft (small weights on prints on your table, keychains securely fastened with pins, display stickers beneath a laminated cover...etc ) and to be honest that's usually enough. If it's not super easy most of the scumbags who would steal from an artist alley won't bother.
>>
I have a con coming up and I'm stumped on how to display things, especially buttons.

Does anyone have pictures of AA tables for some inspiration on how to set up my displays? Much appreciated!
>>
>>8828134
You should have a dig through the archives. Here's a thread with a lot of setups that I have bookmarked:
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/cgl/thread/S7416150
>>
>>8828092
varies too much. I have some charms i can't sell 20 of in a whole year, while others i can sell 50+ of in one con.
>>
>>8828121
I can count the amount of times i've had theft happen (that i noticed i guess) on one hand in doing cons for 3-4 years. It sucks when it happens but it's honestly rare? I always go solo and don't have people watch my table when i have to step away. Actually all the thefts happened when i was at the table and didn't see lol. MOST people are good people.
>>
>>8828302
This. In three years I've never had a theft, and my friend has only had it happen once. I typically don't leave my table much and when I do I always have a friend or staff member keep an eye on it for me. Most of my stuff is bigger plush, one of a kind things that I would notice if they went missing and the theif would have to hide them after stealing so it's probably a bit of a hassle to steal from me. Most people are generally good, and the ones who aren't are cowards who wait for the easiest safest opportunity, so I'm not overly worried about that kind of thing.
>>
>>8827738
Hey, I'm located in Austin too. Apply for Ikkicon in the fall, and Anime Austin is this summer, it's a first year con but if you're local it might be worth it, applications are open. Oni-con in Galveston has applications open too. And keep an eye out of A-fest applications, I always miss those. Delta H-con has applications open as well, it's in Houston but it has a small attendance. Anime Overload is Austin as well, not open yet but keep an eye out, that one is also small. Oh, and RealmsCon in Galveston has applications open as well. Just sort of keep an eye out on upcomingcons.com and animecons.con you can search by state, and it'll link you to conventions sites and then you can stalk their twitter and facebook for application dates. Good luck on A-kon, I'm hoping I can get in on that one this year too, as well as San Japan.
>>
What do you guys think when a convention suddenly posts this in an Artist Alley info:

>Artists may only sell their own original artwork and creations.

I just get the feelz of a gestapo crackdown comming - that or possible abuse of power by staffers on certain artist. I can only think to say is:
1) They (the staffers) don't represent any of the industry.
and
2) They posted this first so they can say it's on the rules.

I know nearly 70-80% what has been sold in this AA is based off a copyrighted character.

>tfw when I know that some of these "orginal local wannabe art/manga artist" types have been marginalized the past few years by awesome farnart illustrations and prints

The only mention of fan art itself was somewhat open to interpretation - artist can only sell it if it is considered “fan art.” So I am assuming this "considered by" is going to be staffers again.

This is going to be a fun year.
>>
How do you guys go about getting through cons on your own, as in no helpful neighbors or helpers? I'm always worried about managing food and bathroom time since I have a few medical issues, and I'm also a bit paranoid about theft. I usually try to buy food for the day before the alley opens and get other business sorted by then, but by the middle of the day I always have one reason or another that I need to leave my table for longer than a minute.

At SacAnime I saw a guy just cover his table with a sheet and leave a 'be right back' sort of note, but I wasn't sure if that was the best way to go about it...
>>
>>8828121
still a rarity but happens. I do think to deter is to always acknowledge someone that approaches your table, so it tells them you know they are there, the ones that ignore them may just encourage them.
>>
>>8828457
I don't even bother covering my shit, i just put a sign that says brb. If you have more valuable items i would grab them under the table but i've never had anything stolen while i've been gone, only while i've been sitting there not paying attention. (I'm >>8828302 , i do about 8-10 of the biggest cons a year)
>>
>>8828395
i'm imagining a customer casually mentioning that garnet necklaces are really nice, aren't they, and the vendor pulls a brown string-tied envelope of steven universe fanart from underneath the table
>>
>>8828466
I might just be a little overly paranoid then. Thank you! I think I'll have to just balls up and let myself leave sometimes lol
>>
Just popping in to say thanks some gull who's store I bought some Gravity Falls merchandise and a /cgl/ button from for including an extra lanyard in my order. The Gravity Falls stuff was a Christmas gift for my sister and she loved it.
I can't remember the name of your store, sorry! But I think you post in these threads.
>>
>>8828395
>>8828470
topic is ongoing for years... not unless there is going to be a major disney affair at your con and you have not sold hundreds of a single copyrighted character, the most you would have to fear is a cease and desist order.

As for the staffers, that is just another cesspool of epeen that wants to feel stroked once a year, and if you are on their cliques shitlist you can expect to be harassed in some manner.
>>
>>8828346
Thanks for letting me know, anon! I'm actually from 20 miles out, but I usually go into Austin and carpool with friends to cons. I might try Overload since I've heard it's pretty small. Good luck to you for A-kon, too!
>>
Fanime AA emails are rolling out. Who got in?
>>
File: 700.jpg (23 KB, 600x606) Image search: [Google]
700.jpg
23 KB, 600x606
Fanime emails are out.
>tfw I'm in.
>>
Anyone else having poor sales this month? It's not the end of the month yet but still, I haven't had a single sale which has never happened even when I first started out. Hopefully I'll get something before the end of the month. It's just weird because I've put a ton of new stuff up and I'm getting plenty of likes and views just no bites.

I'm thinking it's because everyone's broke after Christmas but my anxiety is telling me it's because all my stuff is awful.
>>
>>8828522
Awesome!! Congrats!

I'm getting kind of anxious... I only got in through waitlist last year so I'm not really sure about getting in this year hahaaa.
>>
>>8828525
well no one can tell you one way or another without posting your stuff
and do you mean like etsy or what?
>>
File: tumblr_mimmobaTuJ1s2s76zo1_500.gif (985 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mimmobaTuJ1s2s76zo1_500.gif
985 KB, 500x281
>>8828527
Last year I was wait listed and I ended up getting in on dropouts.

Chin up, think positive thoughts!
>>
>>8828540
Yeah, same thing happened to me! But I think there were a ton more dropouts because they released acceptances so late so a lot of out of state artists had to drop out. They're releasing them a lot earlier this year, so I feel like there won't be as many but we'll see!

A lot of really solid artists are making it in this year. From what I've seen on twitter it looks print-heavy, but I know a number of crafters got in too so hopefully the overall alley will be a little more diverse this year
>>
>>8828522
Hell yes, in too. I split between print and crafts if we're keeping track of diversity.
>>
Have you guys ever experienced artist alley drama/ shit talking and general rudeness from other artists?
If so how do you cope?
I can't be the only one this shit happens to.
I try to be generally nice to everyone and helpful and a good neighbor but ever since I started doing better in terms of sales at cons (I average at around 3 to 5k as a print/apparel artist) I've had a bad falling out with my old artist alley friend group becouse I "stole their sales" and "it's not possible I did better than them becouse I'm not popular online" (I don't have a tumblr and I don't pander) and more recently I've been getting glares/shit talked by aa neighbors.
Sometimes I have lines at my booth and I try to keep my customers from blocking other booths/process people as fast as possible and my neighbors just sit there staring daggers at me anyway.
My best experiences were when I sat next to artists that do better than me, my worst were when I sit next to kids fresh out of collage with inflated egos that think just becouse their Steven universe genderfluid trans ocs get lots of notes on tumblr that people will be willing to pay $15 for an 8x11 at home print out.
Ugh sorry I just need to vent.
>>
>>8828567
Wow, those "friends" are jerks. Sure, I can understand if they're a bit jealous, because who doesn't want to make money? But they don't have to be so mean about it. If my friend was doing well, I'd be jelly but also feel really proud of them because they are my friend. Don't let people like that stress you out, anon.
>>
>>8828567
Was kinda with you until you trashed rando kids on tumblr. Sounds like you humblr brag and slip into insulting people instead of taking your success in stride so idk you'd probably annoy me too.
>>
>>8828567
> people hate me because I make sooo much money and get sooo many clients

that's what you sound like.
>>
>>8828522
Just got mine, I'm in!
>>
>>8828583
Thank you anon. That makes me feel better, I thought I was a bitch or something but I even offered to treat them to coffee becouse I did well and they were just rude to me until they straight up stopped talking to me. What's worse is they're local so I keep getting placed next to them at cons and its like I can't just forget they exist.
>>8828584
>>8828588
sorry I didn't realize I sounded like that I should have worded things better.
>>
>>8828567
Ignore it. You're there to make money, so if you're making money, you're doing it right.

They can bitch and moan about the money you're making, but it's not gonna get them any more cheddar than if they don't, so just keep doing you.
>>
>>8827738
Yup, San Japan did on site, but it wasn't until second day at noon. It cost less than the full weekend, but you'd be missing a good chunk of sales. I actually didn't get my prints until day two, but I still made a record amount, so I definitely suggest it! Almost everyone pays with card so you don't run into many people being broke by Sunday.
(Also the seagulls at San Japan are the absolute sweetest, best I've met in the country)
>>
File: sketch.png (638 KB, 594x596) Image search: [Google]
sketch.png
638 KB, 594x596
i dun goof'd and didn't get anything new made in time for a con that's in a week.
i have old stock, but i need some new shit to spice things up.

how much have you guys seen original pencil drawings sell for in AA?
how about fully painted aceos?

they would be a mix of original concepts and fanart

pic related would be an example of the effort i'd be putting into the sketches, though they'd be halfbody to fullbody
>>
>>8828606
Thank you tim, that's really good advice.
>>
>>8828594
I really hope you feel better! It really sucks that they're local...ignoring the ppl you see consistently can be hard. Maybe they'll grow up soon enough and realize that you're not "stealing" their sales. Good luck!!
>>
So who got into fanime
>>
>>8828636
actually that's bad advice, and could get you on a lot of shit lists at cons.
>>
>>8828753
Who cares, we go to AA to SELL, not try to please other petty artists who barely make $1k.
>>
>>8828756
right, but there's ways to talk it out and people wouldn't know how much you make unless you tell them. it's a better idea to not tell anyone. OP obviously let some people know.
>>
>>8828766
I've noticed that smaller artists are the first to ask how much someone else made, either to inflate their own ego or to make sure they are doing okay compared to others. If you tell them the truth, they get butthurt. If you politely decline to say, they get butthurt. It's a lose lose situation, unless you go out if your way to avoid conversation, which is just as bad.
>>
>>8828753
why would it get you on a shit list to ignore people who don't like you? am i mis-reading something here?

>>8828594
anyway yea like >>8828766 said if you aren't just humble bragging about this "problem", stop telling people how much you make unless you know they're mature enough to deal with it / make about the same as you do or more. There's a good reason why most artists are vague about how well they are doing when they are not anonymous.
>>
>>8828774
Just tell them you don't share numbers and keep it vague. I tell people i do well enough to justify coming to X amount of cons and only do Y amount of work on the side in addition to cons. They can decide how well they are doing compared to that.

If they ask about a specific con and how well i do I tell them how well i do in terms of other cons, like i did XXX% as well as another con we've been to together. People do not need to know more unless you're going to invest in something together.
>>
>>8828567
That really sucks to hear, anon. While I agree that you shouldn't try to let it get to you, if a lot of other artists are treating you badly at different cons maybe it's something you're doing wrong?

There's an artist (recently turned vendor) I know in my con circuit who is pretty much universally hated by all the other artists I know because she specifically goes around asking everyone how much they made. She'll even ask strangers their profit margins and gloat/humble brag if someone says they're not doing well. I think she's oblivious to how rude she's being becuase you shouldn't be discussing profit with strangers and you definitely shouldn't be going around during a slow con and telling all the other artists you feel bad for them.

I'm not saying you do any of these things anon but if it's a common enough reoccurence, maybe take a look at your interactions because you might be unwittingly offending the other artists.
>>
>>8828788
Yeah I guess I never realized that sharing numbers wasn't something anyone was comfortable with but I've only told my numbers to close friends when they ask, I'll definately be more vague next time.
I never realized there was so much aa drama, I guess it's becouse were all there to make money so it's pretty competitive.
Any advice on how to not get on people's bad side?
>>
>>8828774
Yeah, it is a lose lose situation. But I would just lie and tell them that my sales aren't that good. Better to inflate their ego and just shoo them away.
>>
>>8828817
Befriend people who DON'T do any of the following:
- give unsolicited advice
- ask you for your sources
- ask how much you made
- badmouth other artists
- believe that their art major entitles them

Honestly, I know where you're coming from so I have a feeling the people you're aggravating are just bitter. They won't help you progress as an artist/seller/ person, so let them be on your bad side. Sooner or later, they'll be left behind anyway. Keep good company, forget the rest.
>>
>>8828847
>won't share resources
Now that's just immature and selfish
>>
>>8828853
anon is more pointing out things that could be a liability. like, imagine you give someone a resource that was fine for you and it messes something of theirs up, they'd baww to you about your recommendation.
>>
>>8828847
I'm with the other anon here. If I see a seller that seems cool and that has well-made pins or something, I might ask, "You art looks great, and these are well-put together. Where'd you get them done?" If they're super crabby and won't share, then it just means they're insecure and shitty.
>>
>>8828860
That's kind of paranoid thinking, and if they do, then they're not worth your time anyway.
>>
>>8828866
i don't think it's paranoid especially since the OP was talking about people actually giving her shit. stuff like this is a judgement call so it makes to tell her not even to do that. i also notice some people whine at me about what my resources are.
>>
>>8828817
Yeah, I only share with close friends who will also share with me. Generally I don't mind disclosing to other friends who ask me for numbers if they open with something like "I hope I'm not being rude..." and they seem like they genuinely want to trade con tips instead of treating me like competition.

I definitely know where you're coming from though because one of my friends who introduced me to cons kind of got salty after I started doing well and told other people that I'm making up stories about my financial situation because she saw me going to so many cons. (I spend like 80% of my con profits helping out my parents - she was just an acquaintance and therefore didn't know this but still chose to tell other people that she suspected I was lying and stuffing my pockets with profits.)

If you can't think of anything you've done to make other artists mad, it's possible that your former friends are going around spreading stories about you. It really sucks but gossip travels so fast in the AA scene. Honestly AAs should be more like a community where we share resources and advice but since there's money involved and people get catty, I always end up being kind of guarded. Again, I'm sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you can make new con buddies who won't be as petty.
>>
>>8828522
I didn't get in, but it was my first time applying to AA so I didn't really have a lot to show them for judging.
>>
They said 700 people applied, does anyone know how many tables there are?
>>
>>8828903
roughly 300, give or take
>>
>>8828901
Me neither. I'm not too upset, I kind of forgot to apply and had to slap something together minutes before the deadline. On the other hand, one of my favourite artists who is leagues above me didn't get in either so even if I put the effort in I don't think I would have made it.
>>
File: This isn't a Charity..jpg (8 KB, 250x216) Image search: [Google]
This isn't a Charity..jpg
8 KB, 250x216
>>8828862
>>8828853
Some of us run this as a business and spend A LOT of time looking for where to get things made. Calling us "selfish" "immature" "crabby"? Seriously, get up and go look for your own shit and stop bothering other artists for their information. Those of us with private sources will only share with friends we can trust.
>>
File: 1365190537046.png (194 KB, 403x430) Image search: [Google]
1365190537046.png
194 KB, 403x430
>>8828961
>>8828901
>mfw when I just reposted old shit from last year and got in.
>>
>>8829019
Most people I've talked to at cons accept Ali as a source and go away happy. Even if you're more specific people probably won't remember the company name anyway.
I know this mostly applies to customers rather than artists, but let's face it, there's a relatively small pool of sources we all use and most artists who bother to do their research will know about them. If half the AA sells acrylic charms, there's a good chance half the AA already knows about Vograce, and so on. It's not a trade secret, it's common knowledge.
And yes, I would call it immature. You don't have private sources, unless you have a friend who does work solely for you and your friends. There's no need to hold someone's hand and walk them through ordering from China, and it won't harm your sales.
Sorry for the blog post, but a friend of mine recently got mega buttmad because she recently realized that people did in fact know that it's possible to buy good quality charms from China, and got pissed because she honestly thought she was the only one who knew this.
>>
File: 1341102948829.png (5 KB, 281x256) Image search: [Google]
1341102948829.png
5 KB, 281x256
>>8829019
telling someone where you got your 1 inch buttons made isn't going to suddenly decrease your own sales.
a lot of stuff is found pretty easily through google, thanks in part to a lot of generous artists sharing their methods and resources.

not to mention, it isn't like you're hand making your one-of-a-kind work with ancient methods passed down through your family. you're using a service run by another business person to make your shit.
if some aspiring merch maker would also find that service useful, what is your motivation for withholding the info? what do you gain, expect some salty peers?

loosen up.
>>
File: plush3.png (127 KB, 350x400) Image search: [Google]
plush3.png
127 KB, 350x400
>tf trying to find a decent maker for scarves
>Thinking about art cow for bags
>some other place for shirts

Has anyone ever used this site before? I wanted to make my own hand made plushies but I have really bad shaky hands.

www_gannmemorials_com/art-department

I think I might try them one day when I can think of a cute design for a stuffed animal. The samples do look nice though.

Also do any of you get stationaries made along with stickers or perhaps sell notebooks with 'insert copy righted character or OC here'? I've been seeing some inspiration lately.
>>
WHY THE FUCK IS OTAKON SENDING OUT REJECTION/WAITLIST EMAILS SEPARATELY. THIS LEVEL OF FUCKING STUPID ONLY COMES FROM ANIME CONS I FUCKING SWEAR.
>>
>>8829139
meant to add I'm looking at the showroom and the quality for some of the plush seems really good for some and really bad for others, but non the less pretty alright. I'm kind of hoping they have new and old mixed.
>>
I've seen so many artists make custom tank top shirts in artist alley. Does anyone know where they get them done?
>>
>>8828346
Which of those cons is profitable enough to warrant a bit of a drive? I went to a pile of Texas cons back in the day, but not so much in the last five years. I'm driving over from Louisiana and the time and expense to participate in a shitty AA with a low attendee turnout would be disappointing.
>>
>>8828631
do commissions
>>
>>8828631
I'll say this as an artist, loose pencil art like this is the stuff I want to buy. I prefer to see the strokes an artist makes over really smooth cel-shaded stuff. It'd definitely garner some attention. If you can make good prints off of it, do that as well. I've seen people sell prints of pencil work before.
>>
>>8828631
Hey, we've met. anyways
I think your pieces/ commissions an go up for $80-200 a piece if it's something more then a bust. I know you have a pretty good fan base already so I don't think that's an issue. Just make sure you presented well, get heavy stock paper. maybe have a frame around it. if someone like it, they will buy it.

as for commissions. my prices are 80/person inked and I get about 10 commissions a weekend.
I don't do them anymore because it's too much work and My posters sell well enough .

Hope that helps.
>>
Would you say an online presence and store is a MUST to be successful at AA? A coworker just discovered my embarrassing trashy blog, so I deleted everything I have under that username. I was getting tired of keeping a blog anyway so no harm there. And not having an online presence sounds like a great idea to escape from being discovered by your dayjob peeps. Iirc, someone was talking about how they have a zero presence online but still do great at AA. Is it possible to pull this off even if my art is mediocre?
>>
>>8828631
This is gorgeous. If I saw a print of this at a con, I'd definitely buy it.
>>
>>8829173
If you're not local the only ones worth the drive would probably be ikkicon, san japan,anime matsuri, A-fest and akon. All the others are very small in comparison.
>>
>>8828631
I love you, I pretty much follow you everywhere. You're gonna do great!
>>
>>8828961
Not to sound salty (since I didn't get in either) but I think that to a degree some of the selection is arbitrary. There is a rubric, but some things like "personal appeal" are just random or impossible to "explain." Also kind of explains instances like >>882905 and the discrepancy in quality
>>
>>8829289
Ngl I sometimes feel like cons pick out the super popular artists who get like 2 tables and then assign numbers to each person and then use a number generator to pick people out. Like you said, the discrepancy in quality can be huge. I've seen people who have a table with a couple pieces of lumpy clay jewelry or only 10 different prints at the same con as people like Yuumei. I know this sounds really salty but I feel like cons don't always take a good look at people's portfolios before accepting them.
>>
>>8829280
Is Ikkicon even worth it? It's still relatively small because it takes place over New Years when people have less money, I think.
>>
>>8829316
>that feel when you were thinking of having a table with only a couple of key items, one of them being clay charms/keychains.

Welp. Guess I better diversify before I ever hit AA.
>>
>>8829226
Online presence is surprisingly not linked to how well you do at AAs. Some people barely make a tenner all month in online sales and make bank at a con.
If your art is mediocre, improve it. If you post an example here we can give you concrit, but if you're not comfortable with that then go through your art and make a list of the stuff that you feel isn't working. Shading, colour theory and anatomy are three things almost everyone needs to work on, so start with those.
If you have mediocre yet cute art, it'll sell. Weebs snatch up anything that catches their eye, but don't feel that you need to sell a ton of prints. Prints need more detail than, say, a button or a small sticker, and backgrounds are a pain in the ass, so if you're insecure about your art consider making smaller things like charms or buttons. They sell just as well.
>>
>>8829127
Noone was talking about buttons anon? Anyone can figure that out.
>>
>>8826991
I have never not made an insane profit at A-Kon. It's such a busy con that you'd honestly have to be shit to do poorly. You can have insane prices and still have someone buy something. $200 of my profit came just from doll stuff.

>>8827355
You will be pleased to know that all the shitheads got fired after last year's fiasco and have been replaced. I'm excited for the programming this year, mainly because you can't get any worse than what happened last year.
>>
>>8829344
Anon was just giving an example. No one was talking about anything in particular, just 'sources' in general. I can't take the AA very seriously since selling fanart is borderline illegal anyway. Since I see it more as a community, I think it's rather sad that some people so hush-hush about their sources. Even a vague answer would be better than keeping completely mum.
>>
>>8829344
it was an example. anyone can figure that out, as you said.
>>
>>8829280
Thanks. I don't think I can go back to Ikki... I possibly hate it even more than A-kon just from the old days when I attended like 5 Texas cons a year. The first years of Ikki were shit and they don't sound much better these days based on threads in /cgl/.

SJ has the nicest AA for an anime con imo. The size and variety of artists is always nice.

Dare I ask if any of you have tackled Dragoncon? It's mostly comic art but there's a mix of stuff, or you could have sold in the art show...
>>
>>8829351
Wow. Well, the conheads themselves were pretty shitty in the past, but good to hear that some things are changing. My last A-kon was like 8-9 years ago. We left the con three years in a row saying "Fuck A-kon" for a variety of reasons and then finally just stopped going entirely.

That said, may try for a table despite the odds stacked against me.
>>
>>8829331
Clay items are nice actually. I like tables that have something other than just the normal prints/keychains/stickers (even though that's what my table is). I meant that i saw tables that were almost bare like a table cloth and 5 rings and a couple small figurines. If you have enough items to fill your table, then by all means feel free to apply. I've seen lolita crafters have full
tables with clay phone charms, charms/charm bracelets, and other clay jewelry.
>>
>>8828631
FYI you're famous. People are going to buy your originals.
>>
So who got into otakon
>>
>>8829351
>all the shitheads got fired after last year's fiasco
What happened last year?
>>
>>8828817
People get weird about money anon. I always go with something vague if other artists ask me how I'm doing. Most just want to get a feel for how everyone around them is selling but when you get too detailed and share numbers it can rub people the wrong way. And some people are just petty or get crabby when they're not doing well. In my experience it's usually new artists who don't realize AAs aren't some kind of "get rich quick" thing.

I remember one con, I had been doing it for a while and just started getting my table and my stuff together to the point where I was starting to profit. I ended up doing fairly well by the middle of the event and one of my neighbors who was new (and not terribly artistic, just sort of selling easy crafts like suuuper simple deco stuff and candles she melted and reformed inside seashells) who had been very sweet for most of the con asked me for specific numbers. She was nice about it. Gave the whole "I hope this isn't rude but-" speal. So I decide to tell her casually that I had hit over 1k the day before and I hadn't tallied things up from the past few hours yet. I swear her jaw dropped and maybe she didn't mean it the way I took it but she acted really dumbfounded, kind of scoffed, and said "what!? A thousand dollars?! But you just sell *stuffed animals*." Umm. How much do you think I'm selling them for, $1 each? She was kind of salty after that but she had been asking me and my friend for a lot of advice and stuff throughout the con so I figured it would be okay. Honestly I know that's not even an impressive amount compared to a lot of artists but she had not been doing well. It's best to keep it vague, and of someone really wants to know and THEN acts bitchy then yeah it's not you.
>>
>>8829455
Most likely they weren't trying to insult you but were naive on the subject and were genuinely shocked. Some people aren't aware of the profits that can be made especially if they're new or not creating anything of interest. You just never know if they're going to react in distaste since they're not making the same as you or amazement that you're capable of doing so. If someone's pestering you for the answer then they're probably the exact person who shouldn't know.
>>
>>8829383
Nothing in my inbox yet
>>
>>8829363
I have not, I haven't done any Atlanta shows, unfortunately. But I have done some comic cons in texas and I have done pretty well. I tend to cater mostly to western fandoms and that's probably why, trying to put more anime in my inventory this year.
>>
File: 1444277684924.png (77 KB, 165x200) Image search: [Google]
1444277684924.png
77 KB, 165x200
>>8829139
>>8829165
Please respond.

[spoiler];_;[/spoiler]
>>
>>8829139
>>8829813

Gann memorials blows, everyone uses shinedown now.
>>
>>8829829
Why doesn't shinedown have more product photos on their site?
>>
>>8829813
You should check out some of the stuff on AANI, I swear every week there's someone new getting manufactured plush made.
>>
>>8829178
>>8829195
>>8829231
>>8829286
>>8829381

ah shit guys, thanks.
>>
>>8830408
Is there really? Honestly a good portion looks like garbage
>>
>>8830475
it does, but i think that's due mostly to the artist's bad taste than the manufacturer being shitty
>>
>>8829289
How's it feel to be a member of weenie hut jr'?
>>
>>8830475
I think it's because of uncreative/bad designs. The manufacturers look like they know what they're doing.
>>
>>8830511
Example: This is being made by shinedown, and I think they're doing a fine job but the character just looks ugly as shit to me. And that's not the manufacturers fault. Honestly it reminds me of those goofyass designs for some of the "as seen on TV" stuffed animal products.
>>
>>8830504
ayylmao
>>
>>8830484
>>8830511

I do agree, but really it feels like people who want it have no design for concept.

There's also the fact with the same old tired kawaii uguu plush with the black dot eyes, and small mouthes that are close together in the middle of the face that keep being used over and over and no one trying to be slightly different, I know in this biz you can be only so original but there's hardly any effort.
>>
>>8830504
It feels a lot better knowing that you actually spent the time to track down this specific post from months ago just to bring it back again.

Be real, anon, how many hours a day do you devote to thinking about me?
>>
>>8830544
tim, serously?
if you don't want people to notice this shit, don't namefag
>>
>>8830544
>implying
People remember, Tim, and hypocrisies are easy to dig up info when you attach a name to your posts.
>>
>>8830552
I don't.... actually.... care? I remember making that post, but I'm also not gonna bitch and moan about not getting into Fanime. Literally nothing prompted their post other than a petty vendetta.

>>8829172
There are a bunch of online places to get them done. Another option is to look for a local screenprinter's-- not necessarily the ones that advertise themselves as "custom shirts" but the ones that do screenprinting for prints and stuff too. One of my first jobs was at a custom t-shirt printing company that offered a variety of cuts/sizes and they basically just made friends with a bunch of custom printers across the US and paid them to do it. If your designs are simple, single-color, a screenprinter could probably do it pretty easy since they already have all the equipment.

Dunno about pricing. I would assume it'd be cheaper since you'd be taking out the middleman, but again, find a local screenprinter's first and get a quote from them before going online (I used to work at ooshirts. I dunno if people still use customink but they do them too)
>>
>>8830570
>"doesn't care"
>gets defensive

i have met you irl and i'm trying very hard not to think less of you right now
>>
>>8828047
-Buttons (1"-2", usually) $2 each or bundled (like 5-6 for $10 or something like that)

-Polymer charms/keychains (I'm assuming handmade, clay) Upwards of $10+ depending on complexity. I have a friend who does really detailed ones that she sells for like $30+ and she usually still sells out (esp of popular characters)

-Earrings- I think like $10-$15ish? Again, depending on complexity.

>>8828457
It's not wrong to ask your neighbors to just keep an eye on your shit. I usually just put up a sign saying I'll be right back or I'll ask con friends to cover for me for a bit

>>8828525
If you have consistent sales throughout the year and they're just now dipping a bit, it's more likely a seasonal thing and not an appeal thing.
>>
>>8830528
It's just awful and reflective of ugly american design.. but i'm too scared to tell her myself even though we're FB friends for fear she'll get mad at me. I hope she see's this and takes the advice to drop this design and work on making things more ....appealing...
>>
>>8830528
god, i'm glad im not the only one who thinks this is ugly as sin. it looks like a cheap toy you'd win at a fairground.
>>
>>8829829
What happened to Gann Memorials?
>>
>>8830664
Would she really drop it though? She's already had to send back a lot of revisions and spent so much time on it, right? And she seems very fond of it or obviously she wouldn't be willing to take such an expensive plunge. But I understand you wanting to tell her to rethink the design and being worried about her reaction.
>>8830696
I like the concept but it really does look like a fairground toy.
>>
>>8830727
almost everyone used to use them but they frequently missed deadlines, dropped communication or punted off excess shipping fees on their customers and stuff? Idk personally, all i know was like half a year or a year ago literally all the gann memorial people told them to fuck off and moved to shinedown
>>
Has anyone made compact mirrors with Vograce? How is the quality?
>>
>>8830818
I knew it would end like that. When they dropped communication I got scared they would run off with the money in a similar fashion.

And how is Shinedown? No problems so far? Worth a try?
>>
>>8830818
Didn't Gann show up on AANI and try to make excuses for their shitty actions and it ended up turning back against them by what they had said? I think the post was deleted twice, so I have no idea. The plush artists are the ones that were mainly paying attention to the drama.
>>
>>8830831
>>8830861

as far as i can tell from AANI no one has had any problems with shine down. working direct with factory will always be cheaper but they seem to be your best bet for a small company that doesn't want to deal with finding a reliable factory and the paper work etc. it's worth a shot to search aani for gann and shinedown to do your own research, i'm just going off the top of my head.
>>
>>8830528
oh my god this thing keeps popping up on AANI like pls.....I know you're excited for this but I really do not think anyone else is....

that FACE tho
>>
>>8830528
I don't know why I keep looking at this but every time I look at it I hate it more
>>
>>8830528
The eyes turned inwards and up like that makes me think of those 'fucked-silly' faces, which is not an image I would associate with cute or for kids. It makes the face look kinda lecherous...
>>
>>8830951
Oh God I did not see that, but now that you mentioned it that's all I notice.

>"pop my cherry anon!"
>>
>>8830970
end it
>>
>>8830994
End what?
>>
How does one usually submit a design to a manufacturer?

If you want them to print something in silicone or whatnot, would they need a 3D render with dimensions done first, or do you just send them something hand/computer drawn and have them figure it out?
>>
>>8831020
I haven't done it, but I think you send them multiple sketched out angles and views of what you want and they would have someone to make the render for you. It seems silly to have to do your own 3D modeling when you're outsourcing.
>>
>>8830574
>why I picture some hag grinding some ax on a stone wheel from the flintsones come to mind.
I'm just lurking but seeing your posts make me think you create scary looking art.
>>
>>8831020
Depends on the manufacturer; some can do both, but the latter would cost a significant amount more, since you're paying for two services: both the manufacturing and the designing. It looks like a lot of people in AANI sketch it up and then the manufacturer works on the patterns, since they talk about asking them to alter the pattern, or changing things here and there, and having them remake it over and over again until they are satisfied with the product.
>>
>>8830544
How's it like being a shitlord at control and yelling at kids
>>
>>8831050
What the fuck
>>
>>8830528
What exactly is it comparing, is it the same manufacturer on both sides or a different ones?

Also this is ugly as hell. This thing supposed to have hair or is it ice cream melting on it's head? Because it's done lazily.
>>
Have you guys ever had someone admire your stuff so much they try to mimic what you do or at least how you look?

>Last year around this time I was posting to the FB group. Someone comments saying their website and my website look very similar.
>I check it out and notice they copied my very generic looking background.
>Decide to change background to something more custom
>Person says I should just leave it the way it is
>Decide to change whole website so it looks nothing like theirs
>Keep tabs on their website to check if they try to copy me again
>Go back last night because I haven't gone in awhile and the whole layout has changed to mimic mine (the only difference is the graphics, but placement and text are the same)
>RAGE.jpg
>Calm down enough to message the person and politely tell them their site is starting to look too much like mine and it's making me feel uncomfortable.
>Get reply right away. Person is just as shocked as I am, actually sorta sad. Has no idea why it's so similar and only took advice from a friend.
>Okay.

I asked that they rearrange their site and they haven't replied since. Some of my friends said I should change my site again, but I really liked this layout and I don't want to keep changing it and having this person just mimic me again and again. So what would you guys do?
>>
>>8831285
It's the same manufacturer. They probably got an earlier prototype they didn't like, and asked them to make changes on the pattern, resulting in the new version on the right. They then make notes on what other changes still need to be made.
>>
>>8831311
Could you post some screenshots or share the actual sites? You might be able to tell by coding if she's stealing things but it sounds like she's obviously taking ideas from you at least. Since they brought up the site to you they probably wanted to make it look like they had it first but they're making themselves look stupid by constantly copying and pretending they're doing nothing wrong.
You won't be able to stop them from changing their site if you change yours again so just stick with something that you really like. If you can tell they're active then maybe just tell them you put in the effort to change your whole website when they originally mentioned the similarities and you don't like the fact you're being ignored. It just makes them look more guilty. Maybe in the future you'll no longer like the design and you can then change it. hopefully she won't be lurking.
>>
>>8831311
I was super paranoid that my website layout was too similar to Peppermint Fox's until it hit me that it's because we're both using the same cheapass Shopify template, haha.
>>
>>8831327
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm using Storenvy so I know every SE will have some similarities, but I went in a literally stripped most of the premade storenvy stuff (the shop logo and location and changed how many items you see on my main page) and added my own graphics. I noticed they added a sliding banner after I did mine etc and I let it go because it wasn't so shady, but now I can't let this go.

>>8831325
I want to post, but I was trying to stay anon for the both of us involved because I didn't want people running to them. I can't even post their shop on my fb page because we have mutual friends and I didn't want them running to this person before I did.

It's mostly idea copying. The graphics are what's different and instead of this graphic being on the left it's now in the center but the graphic has the same text as mine and the same size and shape. If that makes sense?

I wanted to tell them everything you just said but I was trying to keep it as nice as possible in the first e-mail.

I know this person will still be lurking because we go to the same conventions. They even introduced themselves to me at our last one.
>>
>>8831335
You probably shouldn't be nice to them but I understand why you would as the situation could get worse depending on their reaction. Did they introduce themselves as a fan? They must have seen your original setup so they're being kind of creepy about it.
It's kind of hard to comment without seeing the comparison but only change your graphics if it becomes too much to handle or if you think of some alterations to change it up a bit. By text do you mean font or wording? I'd save some screenshots of both sites so you can have some proof in the future if you need it. You could always change your site and change it back if they copy again.
>>
Which shop makes you pay fees again? Was it Esty or StoreEnvy?
>>
>>8831354
both

etsy is pre-listing
storenvy is post-sale
>>
File: layout comparison.png (323 KB, 774x474) Image search: [Google]
layout comparison.png
323 KB, 774x474
>>8831351
Yeah they came over and told me they were a big fan. That's why I'm trying not be a dick.

I was trying to remain anon because while they are similar to me they aren't 100% direct copies in terms of graphics. I didn't want people looking down on me for jumping the gun because they made enough difference to make it their own, but yeah you really can't know until you see it.

Mine is at the top and theirs is at the bottom. I covered up things that might identify them, but I post in the group a lot so it might be obvious to some who I am.

I may change my "What's new" and "What's popular" graphics.
They even made a cheap text copy of one of my buttons last year, but I ignored that too. I ignored a lot to be nice and now this happened.
>>
>>8831389
I think I might have been on your site before
>>
>>8831389
just wanted to let you know I love all of your work <3

sage because I'm not sure how to deal with this person, theirs is extremely similar
>>
>>8831285
The right side is the artist's revisions using Photoshop/whatever editing software to show the manufacturer the changes they want made. When you're outsourcing plush usual the company will do test runs and keep sending them to you so you can ask them to refine it until you are satisfied, then they move on to mass production. Also yes it's ice cream. This is "Unicone : Cherry Cordial Flavor" or something like that. It's super trendy to mash animals with foodstuffs/sweets whether it looks good or not.
>>
>>8831389
I'm not familiar with Storenvy's layout and how customisable it is but from the outside it looks like you both used the same template but there's obvious inspiration taken from the graphics. In saying that their graphics are pretty basic and the fonts look pretty nasty. Try not to worry too much over it as they're not even competition. The cat is very cute.
>>
>>8831394
If you have, thanks for visiting!

>>8831405
Thank you! If he had just said "yeah sorry I am a big fan I didn't mean to offend you" and changed it I wouldn't be so upset. I'm actually a really understanding person.

Instead he acted like he was just as surprised as me about the similarities and told me a friend of his told him to change it to this and they might have seen my shop and got ideas from it.

Thank you!!
>>
>>8831410
Check my bookmarks, definitely been there you've got really cute products.
>>
>>8831389
I'm not seeing a problem here. It's obvious you're different stores and there's only so much you can do with storenvy. It sucks that she decided to put banners/buttons in the same place as you I guess but seriously how does this affect you at all? I'm sure it's possible she took inspiration from you but if she were truly copycatting she would have similar products, mascots, etc. It's just a layout.
>>
>>8831409
That's the issue. The SE template is the same for everyone, but you have the option of how many items you can post on your main page. I only have 3 posted based on that. The "Most Popular" was added to the code. They link to storenvy, but the images themselves are being hosted somewhere else.

I will probably just change the graphics or maybe remove what's popular and replace it with something.

Thanks guys for helping me see I'm not tripping!

Also thank you!. I like collecting maneki nekos when I find them.
>>
>>8831415
I knew someone wouldn't see the difference.

So I'm really suppose to wait around until it's too late and products are made? I know what you're saying, but this keeps happening. They actually did make a copy of one of my products, but theirs is text only,smaller and cheaper I ignored it because I can't own text and moved on and now this is happening. I just wanted opinions on what others would do in this situation to nip it in the bud before it gets to your point.
>>
>>8831435
Layout copying is nothing new really, eventually they will figure it out and come out with their own shit and admit it, for new people its just inspiration and to others somewhat annoying, nothing can really do about it. And the chinese saying that imitation is sincerest form of flattery.
>>
>>8831435
>So I'm really suppose to wait around until it's too late and products are made?
Yes. That's not what you want to hear, I know, but until this person legitimately copies something you have rights to you can't do squat. You can contact them but based on what you did before they probably won't respond to it positively or make any real changes. Just keep doing what you like. If they're copying you you're still the one with superior products so try not to let them bother you unless they actually steal something you can pin them for.
>>
>>8831389
yours looks much nicer than theirs, regardless. but i will say that the baby pink clashes pretty hard with the peach on your gift card banner. i'd swap it out with more orange-y or even aqua.
>>
>>8831710
Seconded. It's very hard to read, but maybe that's just the screenshot quality.
>>
>>8830528
i thought this was some sort of furry fetish plushie at first. like holy shit, legs go at the bottom of a horse. how hard is this
>>
My friend got a table at otakon and it'll be our first time doing cons in murrica.
How bs is their 50/50 rules? Are there any tricks around it?
Are there people who do "they seem like original prints but only fandom people will get it" kind of works?
We also have lots of small buttons and stickers and I'm wondering how anal the staffs are at checking them...
>>
i haven't been to a con since last summer but has there been a decent surge of Rick and Morty in the AA? or if you make some does it sell well for you? im deciding between doing buttons or a print design
>>
>>8831903
I don't know from personal experience, but a lot of people get excited when they find merch from western animation in an Artist Alley. It tends to stand out. Rick and Morty has a rabid fanbase too.
>>
>>8831809
>horse

That's not a pig?
>>
>>8831930
I never knew that people get excited when they see western animation merch. I always avoided bringing western stuff to cons but I guess that wasn't a good idea.
>>
>>8831895
Where are you coming from anon?
it's going to be my fifth year at otakon and all I can say is don't fuck with the aa staff, seriously. They do take that rule seriously, It's not a con you want to risk getting banned from with becouse you do make good money. if you want to sell mostly fan art you should opt for the $1000 tables, that's what they're for.
Just try to pad out your table with as many originals as possible and make sure you label originals from Fan art as well as you can. Also fandom references count imho but if you're unsure you can always email the otakon staff, they respond fairly quickly!
Best of luck anon!
>>
>>8832011
Thank you!
We're from Canada so we're very excited but nervous about doing otakon since I've heard that they're pretty anal/absurd with their rules...
>>
>>8831959
someone upthread said it was supposed to be a unicorn?
>>
>>8830528
See things like this are why I can't see AANI as a decent place to discuss sources and products. While the craftsmanship looks fine, that thing is ugly as sin and half the users wouldn't care if it was well made or glued together in the dark.
>>
>>8830408
No shit right? If you're using Shinedown you're no longer making plushies. You're reselling from a manufacturer. GTFO my AA.
>>
>>8831809
>>8831959
I was sure it was a pig.
>>
File: vomit.png (120 KB, 370x422) Image search: [Google]
vomit.png
120 KB, 370x422
>>8830970
>>
>>8830528
This might be like, CLOSE to being cute if it just had simple dot eyes
>>
>>8831959
>>8832156
Dat tail ain't no pig tail, anons.
>>
>>8832151
Isn't this what most AA tablers do..?

Acrylic charms, buttons, stickers, prints.. Very few people make these themselves.

>And I have no idea why, because if you invest in high quality equipment to make your own, it's a shit-tonne cheaper long term.
>>
>>8831895
I had a friend tell me that they usually table with someone who does mostly original art while they do mostly fanart. The rule is that the table is 50/50 but each artists didn't need to do 50/50 on their part.

But like >>8832011 said try to pad it out if you're tabling alone, you can do repeats (1-2) to help layout the 50/50 if I remember right.
>>
>>8830528

This is from that one chuck that buys bootleg plush to pad out her own.
>>
>>8832207
I do plush, buttons, and watercolor prints, all by hand and all at home. Buying a button maker and pressing them yourself is one of the best ways to save money on production expenses. As long as your work isn't /complete/ garbage, a button maker will pay for itself several times over the first year you have it. As for plushies, most AA tablers make them themselves. As in designing the concept art, drafting the pattern, sewing, stitching, and stuffing the plush. The watercolor prints, well those are all on watercolor board/paper and one of a kind and I wouldn't compare them to prints. Very few people have affordable access to a good print shop and attendees want to all buy the same item ( same print ). The same thing can be applied to charms. Plush are a very different medium than charms, buttons, stickers and prints.
>>
>>8832196
I didn't even realize it was a tail, my brain kept processing as like a severe prolapse or something
>>
>>8832207
See, I personally think that's much different because while they didn't construct those items themselves by doing the art work they contributed to a very large percentage of the work in creating them. Whereas with manufactured plush all you need to do is draw an ugly sketch and someone else drafts a pattern, tests it, makes revisions, sews a billion individual pieces and viola you have a huge product with no effort. I don't think it's the same as paying someone to print your image on paper or between plastic, because you likely poured a lot of time into creating that artwork.

>>8832223
Deets?
>>
>>8832295
I have seen singe really nice manufactured plush with good designs though (I love those fruit dragons from Peach Seas and Jungle Sorbet has some cute stuff albeit her designs are kind of a Mooglegurl copycat), and I understand people like the anon from earlier in the thread who said she had shaky hands and couldn't sew. But overall I agree with >>8832151 in that i think anyone who does it should transition to vendor and doesn't belong in the artist alley. I think most people when they get to that level do opt for a vendor space.
>>
>>8832223
Anon, that sentence went straight over my head. Elaborate? Chuck who? What bootleg?
>>
>>8832317
I assume they mean chick. They probably buy plush which aren't genuine from other series to have a wider range. So they have things they've had manufactured and things they've bought to make profit off.
>>
File: trying to illustrate a point.png (71 KB, 500x388) Image search: [Google]
trying to illustrate a point.png
71 KB, 500x388
>>8830528
i think the main problem here is that (assuming these are being made for anime/comic cons, rather than for craft fairs or more normie stuff) is that she's hugely misinterpreted what's seen as 'cute'. The concept isn't bad (at least no worse than any of the other billion food x animal hybrids ) but there's just...a bunch of really poor design choices. Weird, strawberry short-cake esque eyes, the colour palette making it look more like a pig than a horse/unicorn, legs sticking awkwardly out from its body, weird proportions of cone to body... for lack of a better way to describe it, it kind of reminds me of when middle aged cartoonists try and draw in an anime style without having ever watched or seen an anime more recent than 1995.

I think a palomino type coloring (french vanilla!) would be a.) cuter, and b.) more identifiable as a horse. also i agree with >>8832173 , simple eyes really are best for this kind of thing..
>>
>>8830528
This is the most hilariously bad thing I have seen in a while.
>>
>>8832349
THIS is super cute. You should be the one making unicones.
>>
>>8832225
You mentioned making your own buttons. Do you specialize in only one size or do you have button makers for multiple sizes? What size buttons seem to be the most profitable?
>>
>>8832349
I think she made it round to be closer to a scoop, but it just does not work, especially with those eyes. Your interpretation is much much more appealing.
>>
>>8832454
Seconding this-- the flatter shape is just a lot nicer.

The round bulging belly with the pink, squinty eyes, big dark chunky marks that read as bad skin, red oozy hair, and the redder cheeks and mouth just look kinda grotesque... like it's a weird sloppy pig bursting or something.
>>
>>8832470
The weird bulgyness of it makes it look like some kind of inflation fetish plush doll, straight out of someone's DeviantArt.
>>
>>8832349
I like this a lot. Hella cute.
>>
>>8832310
>Mooglegurl copycat

Oh hone0y, she 'purchases' designs from unknowing teens on Deviant Art and straight up rips ideas from Japanese image boards.

>>8832422

I went with the Tecre 125 model for one and a quarter inch buttons. 1" seemed to small and 2" seemed too bulky and obtrusive. 1.25" was the standard size at the time for buttons in the artist alley as well. AA buttons have slowly gotten bigger over time, so if I were to purchase one today it would be a 1.5" or 1.75".
>>
File: coneofshame.png (23 KB, 340x388) Image search: [Google]
coneofshame.png
23 KB, 340x388
>>8832349
The size of the cone makes me think of the had on a garden gnome.
>>
>>8832611
>Oh hone0y, she 'purchases' designs from unknowing teens on Deviant Art and straight up rips ideas from Japanese image boards
Mooglegurl or Sorbet Jungle? Either way I did not know that and now I'm morbidly curious.
>>
>>8830909
Sorry, what is AANI?
>>
>>8831895
They can be anal and arbitrary as fuck or they won't bat an eye. If it's your first otakon, they might not be super strict on you and might just pass over some smaller items. In past years, they've asked artists to either section off their table with an original side and fanart side or use color-coded stickers so they can quickly eyeball booths for the 50/50 ratio.

If you're new, I don't think they'll breath down your neck like they've done to some veteran artists. If they see something fishy, they'll ask you to take things down and if you comply, they'll back off. If for whatever reason you end up on their shitlist, though, they'll come back over and over and over and you'll be in for a pretty tedious con. That's pretty unlikely to happen though.
>>
>>8828631
Hey I think you're mad cool and your table layout is such inspiration to me.

Hope you're doing better. :3
>>
>>8832625
Artist alley network international. It's a Facebook group.
>>
>>8832365
thanks! it's fairly generic kawaii though... and I don't have the cash to invest in mass production, haha.

>>8832454
yeah... I was kind of thinking about a scoop that had fallen on the ground you know? cause it's not like you'd display it cone down, haha.

>>8832617
HEH. I think it has to be large though, to communicate that the horse is meant to be a scoop of icecream.
>>
Has anyone done proxy-selling before? I know a lot of anime cons expressly forbid it in the rules but a lot of comic book/western cons don't care as long as they get their money. In fact, I think using "agents" is kind of standard for the comic book industry so I've seen comic cons be more accepting of proxies.

If you've done it before, how did you go about doing it? I have a trusted friend willing to proxy for me. (I'll be compensating them and paying for their badge.) Do you need to give your proxy seller anything else other than an inventory sheet and a price list?
>>
>>8832625
A very eye-opening facebook group where people insist their crap will sell because their parents always said they were talented.
It's got good info, but a lot of it is bad anatomy and a laughable idea of what 'good quality and craftsmanship' means. The cherry pig cream abomination is a good example of what you can find.
>>
>>8832094

>unicorn
>>
Do people really prefer clear acrylic charms over black/white/colored charms?
I normally do black acrylic, but I was thinking of upgrading to larger and clear acrylic charms. The price jump is a little hard to swallow, especially since I'm considering a bunch of new designs I'm not 100% sure will sell.
As is they sell out but I want to improve my game.
>>
>>8832843
I think clear acrylic flatters a lot of designs and styles, as well as having a bit of the 'ooh shiny' factor going for it. I personally only really like opaque color acrylic if the art style is crisp/bold and the border of acrylic is not large... but to each their own.
>>
File: okay.jpg (355 KB, 2048x1416) Image search: [Google]
okay.jpg
355 KB, 2048x1416
>>8832165
so the eyes were also not like this before but they actively "corrected" them to be agehao...
>>
>>8832971
Man, the original face was almost palatable but it got so bad so fast.
>>
>>8832165
>>8830528
Sometimes I wish I had the balls to tell these delusional artists on AANI that their work physically hurts me. I didn't realize that was a horse. I feel bad for shinedown.
>>
>>8832971
>Tells them to make it less rounded.
>>8830528
>Then tells them to round it off again.

That pissed me off more than anything, to be honest.
>>
>>8832971
wow...the first version was actually kinda cute.
>>
Sort of a random question but does anyone know what happened to cartoongirl7/myrollingstar?
She and her friend group used to be at every major con but now I don't see any of them around and it seems like she's stopped drawing.
>>
>>8832611
Thanks. Interesting that they're scaling up. I haven't bought pins at a con in a few years, I'll need to see if on average they are growing... I def have a bunch at the 1.25 size that I've bought over the years.
>>
>>8832620
Mooglegurl/TastyPeach/Ryan Zanfei
>>
>>8833331
From her social media, it seems like she's gotten a job and all that.
and I don't think she drew that much to begin with. just dabbing a little here and there. probably just grew out of it
>>
>>8833331
She was finishing up school, and got a full time job if I recall? She would post about her medical labs and stuff on her tumblr and how close she was to finishing up.
>>
>>8828121
If it makes you feel safer you can get a large sheet of clear plastic and lay your display prints underneath it
>>
Is doing a lot of cons doable when you have a full-time job? Feels like I only see professional artists or college kids at aa. I'm running out of excuses to miss work and I definitely don't want to say I have to attend aa. Anybody else work full time?
>>
>>8833340
Omg anon stop. She is 100% original and all those other artists are just trying to ride her success and steal her ideas.
>>
>>8833472
I used to work pretty long hours and I would just say I was going to art shows/craft fairs. Sometimes if they wanted extra information I would say it was a comic book show like "A comic con" since my manager was sort of familiar with that, but I was not about to try explaining anime cons to him.
>>
>>8833472
I stick to doing three or four big cons a year, since I only need to take a day off for each and that's built into floating holidays/vacation anyway. Some places also let you make up the hours throughout the week or otherwise which is another option.

No one gives a shit if I'm telling them that I'm off selling shit, but I think that's because everyone freelances to some degree in games/entertainment.
>>
>>8833472
Probably depends on the job/managers. I've worked an office job and a supervisor retail job and both times my managers were cool with it? The office job I just used a couple vacation days as well as staying really late to make up the hours I would miss. The retail job I just told my boss I have a crafting side business, and had an event coming up. I guess it also helps that I never call out sick/request off often.
If you have good managers and they know you're good at your job most of the time they'll work with you.
>>
>>8833472
I used to work in an office full time and did all my cons. It helps that cons are on the weekends and I had a 5-day work week. It probably is a lot harder to schedule if you're working full time retail.
>>
>>8833482
That's really cool! People have told me I will get busted sooner or later if hr decides to look into my credit report, but I'm trying to keep making money at aa a secret. I really should stick to three cons a year, but I have no online store so it feels like I'm missing out on the sales if I don't table.
>>
>>8833485
All the office jobs I've had so far weren't so forgiving on having a personal side business. I've managed to keep it a secret so far and hopefully I can continue doing that. Most cons I go to start on Thursday, so constantly missing two days in a row is getting difficult for me.
>>
As a UK based artist (and I'm in my early twenties just learning this shit) can I do a tax rebate to claim what I spent on materials? Also how?
>>
>>8832620
The Nomwhal was purchased from a girl on DA. I also had no idea about her ripping from Japanese image boards.

>>8833472
I work full time and my job knows I go to conventions to sell stuff. I have a lot of personal/sick and vacation time and I don't use any of it because I don't do family vacations or call out sick for small stuff like a headache/stomachache etc so I use those paid hours to do con stuff.
>>
File: 1397884686386.gif (830 KB, 245x159) Image search: [Google]
1397884686386.gif
830 KB, 245x159
>>8832971
>"cherry cordial" is female and has girl eyes"
>nose higher, more horse
>>
File: 2016-01-26 17.49.49.jpg (23 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-26 17.49.49.jpg
23 KB, 800x600
>>8832971
That pig makes me so mad. This is a cute pig. That is an abomination.
The person who designed it has to be a furry. Only furry artists make weird shit that ugly.
>>
>>8833698
It's a unicorn, anon.
>>
>>8833701
are you fucking kidding me I thought you were all making fun of it by calling it a unicorn
>>
>>8833398
Man, does it make anyone else sad when artists you follow end up being in it as a hobby, meaning they will inevitably just stop updating one day to focus on their actual life goals?
>>
>>8833705
The horn, tail, and mane made it pretty obvious to me.
>>
>>8833705
it's name is officially "unicone" so yea it's a horse...
>>
>>8833737
unicorns are supposed to be more goat/deer-like than horse-like, though. by the way, i second the idea that the designer might be a middle-aged furry.
>>
>>8832843
I think it depends. There's also some things to be taken into consideration, like making sure the colours of the art go with the acrylic background and don't blend in too much, while clear backgrounds obviously match everything. There are really good pieces in both styles, and people have their personal preferences. If you're not sure they'll sell just do a few of your best sellers on clear and the new ones on black and see how that goes.
>>
>>8833601
I'm UK based too, and I honestly never thought about this. The HM Revebue site is pretty shit, but from what I can work out, you might be able to. You'll have to contact them though.
https://www.gov.uk/expenses-if-youre-self-employed
>>
For those of you who share tables, is there anything you do to clearly separate yourself as a distinct entity from your partner? Or do you just gently correct customers when they assume you guys are splitting profits.

For example, if you have certain deals your table partner isn't offering (buy one get one, bundle deals, etc, etc) and a customer thinks that they can mix and match from your stock and your partner's stock - do you just eat the costs and split the profit or do you explain that you're two separate artists. Would making a sign that says "two artists at this table" deter mishaps like that?
>>
>>8834029
People are always going to mix things up in the same way there will always be that one person who asks how much the item costs when the price tag is blasted in neon on every square inch of the table. Still, having a sign or having two banners or using two different tablecloths might help distinguish between two artists.
>>
>>8833472
I used to be a full time teacher. There was NO WAY that I had time for Artist Alley. Even with the summer off, totally lacked the time to get enough art done.

Just quit my job to live the (impoverished) dream.
>>
>>8834029
I shared a table with a friend once and we didn't have any problems doing our own thing until I was at a con without her and people were asking for an item she carried.

I like the sign about the two different artist because most people will think one of you is the helper. You will still have to remind people that you can check them out separately if they want items from both.
>>
>>8834122
You were a teacher. You were already impoverished. Now you can at least be happy.

>>8834029
I think you're overthinking it. You just take two seconds to let the customer know that's someone else's stock. Don't be a sperg and lose money (or make your partner lose money) by not speaking up obviously.
>>
>>8833491
What? Your credit report has nothing to do with how much you make, how much tax you're paying for what, etc. And I'm not sure why HR would look into your tax records. It's not illegal or even against the rules of most workplaces to do something like sell small crafts on the side.
>>
>>8833472
I'm a full-time teacher, but I stick to small/local cons during the school year. I'll plan for larger/out of state cons only if they coincide with any of my breaks, which of course means I can do more in the summer. Fortunately, I live in an area with a shit ton of cons all the time, so it's been pretty easy for me to do both.

>>8834122
Is right, though, I ain't drawn shit in the last couple of years. Nothing I can say I'm super duper proud of anyway. I've been coasting on older merch for like two years.

>>8834029
Usually it's fine if you have two distinct styles/wares. If you don't want to be mixed up, you can set up an overhead display so it has an arm in the middle that splits your two sections into two separate "tables" that way people for sure won't mix the two of you up.

I've only ever split costs (esp. with the buy two get one free deal) when I tabled with a partner, just because it guarantees more sales overall, and for the most part, both of you benefit. I would just try to plan out deals that can be split evenly between the two of you because I think the variety can be attractive to a lot of buyers.
>>
So what's the difference between drawing at 300ppi and 600ppi, and which is better for prints?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.