[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Famous" cosplayers and cringe trends they inspired
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 239
Thread images: 40
Post "famous" cosplayers who started shitty trends you'd like to see less of.

>inb4 Jessica Nigri
Someone else please.

I'll start with the worst offender in my book: Reika.

>inspired shitty Levi makeup trend
>no blend contours

I always have an urge to reach out and blend out that contouring of hers with a sponge. How hard is it to blend that shit to non-ink levels???
>>
>>8823517
Blame the mangaka and his kind of shitty art for inspiring it to begin with
>>
>>8823518

It's not just Levi but practically in every cosplay she has done.
>>
>>8823527

>thread is about shitty trends
>talk about shit contour trend spreading amongst cosplayers
>"Geez anon, you're just buttmad because you are not popular"

wut?
>>
>>8823517
I didn't realized this monstrosity could be traced back to a single source.
>>
>>8823517
Thank you for giving me a target towards whom I can direct my blinding hatred for this trend
>>
It's died down but whoever started the trend of making a cost list for your cosplay to show off how much money you'd put into it. Some were interesting, but those who included "electricity for sewing machine", "food eaten whilst crafting", "makeup I already own and use everyday anyway", etc, were dumb.

I think it was a cosplayer close to Stella Chu that started it. Can't remember.
>>
File: 1442316685356.jpg (75 KB, 446x400) Image search: [Google]
1442316685356.jpg
75 KB, 446x400
>>8823598
holy shit I just can't stop laughing. These eyebrow are just too much. Nighteleves look already stupid ingame but glueing to stiff an straight wig strands onto your head looks even worse.
>>
>>8823589

You are welcome
>>
>>8823598
how the fuck did they spend so much on leatherwork tools and LED stuff?
>>
>>8823598
>>8823681
Both cosplays were made together at the same time yet Leather tools are priced in full for both builds.
>>
>>8823709

So price was inflated to make it seem more impressive? kek

>look at muh expensive shit you plebs

That aside, they do look impressive. That I admit.
>>
>>8823714
it's funny i did one of these to point out how LITTLE i spent on a cosplay and it still looked good, it was a big dress and i had managed to get all the fabric crazy cheap on clearance so it only cost like $60 but it took like 1.5 to 2 years for me to get all the materials together.
>>
>>8823714
Pretty much. I loved the idea when it first started, but then it became about showing off and turned into a trend I can't stand.
>>
>>8823723

Good for you. Post pic
>>
>>8823709
>>8823598
listing things like 'leather tools' and 'makeup' seems a bit silly, those are investments not actual costs per costume. that's the same as listing the sewing machine cost in every cosplay. less so with makeup, but tools aren't going to be one use.
>>
>>8823714
They placed top 10 at Blizzcon (maybe even top 5) if I remember right.
>>
>>8823598
>>8823709
I liked this trend overall where people broke down what they spent on cosplay...but I didn't care for when people were including makeup/tools they already owned...unless you bought something for that specific cosplay, it doesn't make sense to add it on there. It just came off as..I guess showing off or trying to make the costume more impressive?
>>
>>8823732

Not surprised. They actually deserve it. All those details. A lot of sweat, tears and love went into those costumes and it shows.
>>
>>8823730
here you go, i was so lucky with this, only made it so cheap because i worked at a fabric store for a bit and we started doing a clearance sale on stuff that was like 5+ years old, so i got 80% for like $2 a yard
>>
>>8823749

Sorry not familiar with the character.

Is the fabric actually like that or did you edit it to have that spotty dye effect?
>>
>>8823766

nvm. I think it could just be the fabric surface being creased/crumpled and reflecting light.
>>
>>8823766
The fabric had a different shine depending on the direction it laid, the character is a unicorn turned human (last unicorn, I took liberties with the design) so I liked the colour changing look as it felt more magical
>>
Trends I don't like:

>sexy eeveelutions
>Kamui's armor templates leading to the same damn armor shapes over and over and over again
>battle disney princesses
>idiotic disney crossovers in general
>>
Holy shit I hate this contour trend so much. Reika also popularized the "draw multiple eyelid folds" trend.
>>
>>8823810
>Reika also popularized the "draw multiple eyelid folds" trend.

With solid ink level colors.
>>
>>8823592

You are welcome, anon.
>>
>>8823782

>Sexy Eeveelutions
I don't know who started this, but I feel like this shit is pretty recent and quite frankly getting out of hand. Sometimes it's so half-assed I think they're poorly made bunny suits (assuming there's no midriff or other indicator)

>battle disney princesses
I only saw that once, and that was Nigri and company
>>
>>8823732
Oh yeah. They missed their flights because they overslept and asked for donations to fly over there. They later gave back the money with the Blizzcon money prices.
I remember the drama because until it, they seem pretty humble.
>>
>>8823826
Reika does a lot of weird shit. Every time I see her work, I have a hard time processing her face because the makeup is so bizarre
>>
>>8823723
This, it helps a lot with putting the cost of cosplay in perspective and keeping it low by knowing how much has already been spent and how much is left, all the while estimating how much has been saved by getting things on sale over time.

An average elaborate cosplay (3-months sewing time) for me is about $150, including the wig, circle lens, and base shoes (about $60 out of that $150 by thrift-shopping and having time for slow shipping).
>>
My newest pet peeve is cosplayers who draw thick fucking eyebrows. Not every character needs thick black eyebrows. Mostflogged and crew are doing it alot and I'm just not into it at all.
>>
>>8823778
Wow, it's unrecognizable.
>>
>>8823749
I had no idea who you were supposed to be from this photo and the last unicorn is one of my favorite childhood movies.
>>
>>8823899

Idk man. If she really hates her nose and face so much then she could go get surgery in Korea to correct the nose at least. I cannot understand how she and her fans could think that shitty contour is acceptable.
>>
Done with every single got a boob job for cosplay cosplayer.
There are what...like 7 "famous" ones now?

Yes we get it, you didn't get enough attention growing up. No that's not a cliche. That's literally every single one of you.
Please please go somewhere else. Nerding up cons was one of the few bastions of creativity nerd folks could go and be themselves and be lauded for creativity in an non-academic showcase.

Take your need to be the prettiest girl in the room elsewhere. I miss be able to talk to anyone I happen upon about sewing, glue, wigs, fabrics, and plastics.
>>
>>8824461
7 girls with boob jobs isn't exactly a 'trend'.
>>
>>8823598
>spending nearly a grand on what is essentially armor cosplay

hue

I've seen better Spartans and ODSTs slapped together for a fraction of the cost.
>>
>>8823782
are you me anon because i hate all of these things with a flaming passion
>also sailor scout crossovers
>>
>>8824525
The cost of the armor itself doesn't seem too bad (worbla, EVA and apoxie). It's everything else where they seem to have gone to an effort to find the most expensive materials - looking at the LED stuff in particular.
>>
who started that eyeliner lip trend
it's disgusting
>>
>>8824461
as much as i dislike the trend, you seem oddly bitter about all of this.

>your need to be the prettiest girl in the room
>you didn't get enough attention growing up

i think i would actually enjoy hanging out with yaya because she seems like a nice person, and that would also mean not speaking to someone like you
>>
>>8824525
Weren't they the ones that were very adamant about "only the best" materials or some shit? I remember something like that about the leather cost and, as other anons pointed out, the LEDs. Can't remember who they even are though so I might be wrong.
>>
>>8824530
I'm not too familiar with worbla, because I heat mold EVA foam, of which I have a couple hundred dollars worth on reserve.

If I wasn't lazy, I could build 4-5 space marines with the 500ish dollars in mats I've got in my workspace.
>>
>>8824535
Not the person you're replying to, but are you kidding me? Yaya doesn't talk craftsmanship, I remember when she debuted Carmilla and I had to play 20-fucking-questions because the techniques for the shoulders were a BIG SECRET.

I empathize with anon about not being able to talk craftsmanship with people. At the past three years of conventions I've attended, people are increasingly stand-offish or rude when I compliment their costumes and ask about specific techniques. Yes, I'm totes going to steal your special attention-getting technique, better sneer and walk away like an asshole.
>>
>>8823882
I've seen a lot of shitty spinoffs of the battle Disney princesses. There's battle everything nowadays. It's just a waste of Worbla.

>>8824529
You must be me because those piss me off more out of any of the other things I mentioned.
>>
>>8823598
if that wig was 50$ i feel bad for her.
you could probably find one that looked the same quality for 15$ at the most on amazon
>>
File: worblol.jpg (677 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
worblol.jpg
677 KB, 1536x2048
>>8824558
>There's battle everything nowadays. It's just a waste of Worbla.
In all honestly it all just feels like a big ME TOO ME TOO movement. Like everyone wants to prove they can be Kamui or whoever.

Basically, my cringe trend is the popularization of Worbla in cosplay, because ok, it looks ok to good when done properly, but for every one good costume out of it you get a hundred looking like frozen, stuck together baby barf. Pic very much related.
>mfw I realised this image is part of a TUTORIAL teaching others how to worbla
>>
This one is pretty reasonable until..

>makeup collection
>>
>>8824568
It takes a lot of make up to cover up all that gross.
>>
>>8824568
>flight
>hotel
>badge

That doesn't really have anything to do with the costume itself.
>>
>>8824568
real question, what's boning in relation to sewing

google just brings up these plastic grid things which im sure is not used in cisplay
>>
File: boning1.jpg (102 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
boning1.jpg
102 KB, 640x640
>>8824585
The stick things you stuff into corsets, I'd assume.
>>
>>8824585
Boning gives structure to pieces. For example, they help corset maintain their shapes. Kind of like interfacing, but sturdier since it's not just stiff fabric, it's literally a strip of plastic or metal.
>>
>>8823782
>>idiotic disney crossovers in general
This.

90% is just I want to do this popular thing but everyone is also doing that for attention so I'll put on a Yoko bikini
>>
>>8823526
>mfw I know where that is
I waited in line a half hour to get a photo with her and it's through the grace of the cosplay gods she managed to take a selfie with 3% battery left on my phone.
>>
>>8824510
Probably more than 7 though

Can we add photos, cause Superhero Photography and Anna Fischer proved you can sucker hundreds out of thousands of dollars, not deliver, and still be liked by idiots

Also Jim Logan for being able to scam people who commission from him, not deliver, and also still be liked or defended by idiots.
>>
>>8824552
This makes me so sad. I'm shy and rarely approach people at cons but am always happy to answer any questions anyone may have for me about my costumes, and it sucks that his hobby is becoming less a sharing community and more a competition, even just amongst people on the floor not literally competing for anything other than maybe attention.
>>
>>8823782
>Nobody likes sexy Eeveelutions
>Shooting a group cosplay at Katsucon that contains literally every sexy Eeveelution

Hmm... this could be good, or bad.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1453392768429.jpg (99 KB, 641x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1453392768429.jpg
99 KB, 641x960
>>8823882

>Sexy Eeveelutions
>Sometimes it's so half-assed I think they're poorly made bunny suits (assuming there's no midriff or other indicator)

I don't know what you mean anon
>>
>>8824612

Both yoko and Disney princesses are dime a dozen at cons. This isn't a bad thing mind you, do what character you want. However don't try to pass it off as some kind of goofy original when you just combine two together to the point where you look like you whipped something together the night before the con in your hotel room
>>
File: tumblr_nuzi8sha321qd7vnqo1_500.jpg (73 KB, 500x304) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuzi8sha321qd7vnqo1_500.jpg
73 KB, 500x304
Making warrior versions of everything from Power Puff Girls to My Little Ponies
>>
>>8824720
I wouldn't mind armored version of things if the design wasn't all the same thing. Breastplate bikini & some type of skirt wrap. Almost all of them look like that so after a while it's just hard to distinguish them from one another.
>>
>>8824696
Feeling the second hand embarrassment
>>
Female versions of characters that are just unbuttoning the top and maybe wearing a skirt. Not even hating on sexy, sexy is great but be smart about it. Think about what the character would dress like as a different gender

On that note the joke of I'm a big buff guy in an anime girl outfit is over
>>
File: ubshqbdp46xcqmiorogm.jpg (32 KB, 636x477) Image search: [Google]
ubshqbdp46xcqmiorogm.jpg
32 KB, 636x477
>>8824744
but KAWAII!!!!!
>>
>>8823598
$80 for fabric when the costume barely has any? $50 for that wig? What the hell?
>>
>>8824747
Fucking gay.
>>
>>8824747
It might have been the first time and maybe even the next few but it is done now and needs to be let go
>>
>>8824747
I feel he is the only one who can do it. Every time I see someone attempting to copy him is just bad.

Here in my country there's a guy who fancies himself the brazilian ladybeard, he pretty much copied his whole persona and outfits. Disgusting.
>>
>>8823598
>>8823709
I like these cuz it shows how much money and time I'd have to spend to make something like this. So now I don't even have to bother to start!
>>
>>8824696
Why do I recognise that one in front?
>>
>>8824747
I've seen Ladybaby live, he's pretty charismatic, has an excellent stage presence and actually does the singing and dancing, so he's genuinely entertaining. I think the average "lol I've got a beard and a skirt" is boring, overdone and uncreative. I've seen some guy in a party city wig and fancy dress Ariel costume get an actual free shoot at a con because he had a beard, probably over other talented cosplayers. Yes, I'm jealous and salty.
>>
Crossplay never bugged me until Nigri came through and just made it a joke. Do what character you want, even if you're not the right gender. But don't pass off the female version of a male character as just having big tits and less clothing. Or vice versa, having a female character be buff but with less clothing.
>>
>>8824799
>Crossplay
I think you mean genderbending, anon. Other than that, I hate genderbends no matter how tasteful they are.
>>
>>8824531
What? Using eyeliner as lipliner?
>>
>>8824814
when people draw over the corners of their mouths with black liquid eyeliner to look more bishounen
>>
>>8824823
Bonus points if it's combined with gross concealer lips
>>
>>8823517
There's those two European girls that do that makeup style too and they go overboard. They keep getting posted in the bad makeup threads but I forgot their names.

This shit looks bad, stop it.
>>
>>8823526
Why does she always do that stupid smile? It's like she has no upper lip.
>>
>>8824696
+2 points for trashy tattoos on umberon and vaporeon
>>
I don't know if it's still a thing anymore but at some point EVERYONE had to write a mushy, whiny holier-than-thou post about cosplay bullying and how everyone should be able to cosplay whatever they want. They were usually the most two-faced bitches too who would gossip and talk shit at any given chance.
>>
>>8823526
>>8824843
>>
>>8823749
I recognized you as the unicorn! That's a really charming twist on the character design, anon.
>>
>>8824823
what? I've never seen that...
>>
File: winnieyap.jpg (34 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
winnieyap.jpg
34 KB, 480x360
I hate this girl's tutorials, they spawned a bunch of bad makeup cases.
>>
File: lips.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
lips.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>8824981 I also blame her for this style becoming popular. Looks like a open wound.
>>
>>8823778

That looks nothing like Amalthea, you did a shit job.
>>
>>8823749
Construction is good, but it genuinely looks like the only knowledge you had of the canon dress was someone waving their hand and going "Eh, it's purple, fuck it".
>>
Just the general fact that cosplay gets associated with "sexy". I'm not blaming Jessica for this, but you can't deny that she's one of the reasons it's spread so much.
There's nothing wrong with sexy cosplay because some characters have sexy designs. But I don't like all the ones that get sexed up for no reason (as previously mentioned, bunny girl versions, bikini armor versions, general sexy versions, etc)
>>
Who started the whole crossover/steampunk/fan art cosplay/oc donut steel trends? They should all be shot dead and so should anyone who has ever taken part in any of that shit.
>>
File: even manlet is afraid.png (333 KB, 820x665) Image search: [Google]
even manlet is afraid.png
333 KB, 820x665
>>8823517
So this is where the AoT contouring trend comes from...? It all makes sense now.
>>
>>8823731
true but if the tools where bought with this specific cosplay in mind i think it counts. If the person said 'i need this and this tool to create this and that for this cosplay look' i think its alright. Make up as well because not all make up for cosplay can be used for every day.
>>
>>8824552
and chances are those cosplayers got tips from the pros when they were newbies.
>>
>>8823598

As someone who does commissions, I think these are useful as long as they're not of the "electricity used for sewing machine" variety. A lot of people could use some enlightening about how much it actually costs and hour many hours it takes to put a costume together from scratch.
>>
>>8824982
Thats not why that became popular. Blame lolita fashion, not some YouTube person who doesn't have THAT many subs.
>>
>>8824585
Boning is the stuff you stick in corsets and anything you want to keep its shape. Plastic is most common but metal is better. Idiots who can't be bothered to use metal always manage to find the flimsiest plastic possible, and 90% of the time it ends up distorted or poking through the costume before the con is over. Most commonly seen paired with cheap thin satin, terrible lace, and a Sexy _ Cosplay. Shit drives me mad.
>>
File: 2ptaliacringe.jpg (43 KB, 500x293) Image search: [Google]
2ptaliacringe.jpg
43 KB, 500x293
I'm sick of seeing those "dark, edgy opposites" versions of characters. Case in point, "2ptalia," Tricksterstuck, and recently "underfell." 90% of the time they're just cringey closet cosplays.
>>
>>8825538
I'm not disagreeing, but trickster Homestuck characters was actually a canon thing that happened.
>>
>>8825538
>>8825738
2p is canon

fuck underfell though
>>
>>8824394
>>8824419
>>8824419
>>8824995
i know i took a lot of liberties with the dress, i wanted to make it my own and i was inspired by the firefly path version of her dress, i wanted something over the top and i wanted to make something that used techniques i didn't know so a 'original'-ish dress was my best route.

i never made it to look like the movie dress, and i'm happy with it.

>>8824972
glad you like it anon, and glad you could see the character in the design, i will admit it's not super identifiable as the character.
>>
File: tumblr_m96yxuqrur1qhtpo2.png (156 KB, 500x532) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m96yxuqrur1qhtpo2.png
156 KB, 500x532
>>8825538
>mfw 2p is my not so guilty pleasure
What's underfell? Is it something the tumblr Undertale fandom created?

I don't know if this is a famous trend or anything, but I'm really not a fan of "casual outfit" cosplays. If it actually looked something like the character would wear it would be fine, but most of the time it's just someone's normal clothes and a wig.
>>
>>8825740
but not those crazy personalities
>>
>>8824720
This whole group is a bunch of Yaya and Jessica wannabes
>>
>>8824461 here

>>8824535
I may be bitter. I fully accept that I might be. I do actually feel like we traded an interesting community of fans for a lower common denominator.

>i think i would actually enjoy hanging out with yaya because she seems like a nice person, and that would also mean not speaking to someone like you

Funny you should mention that. I used to hang out with her. She wasn't nice then and she's even less nice now. Trust me, you'd rather hang out with me.
But eventually you'll probably figure that out when you are older. Often the people we thought were cool when we are at a certain point in life once you get older you are appalled by younger you's taste in people.

>>8824552
Is right. Yaya talks about well, herself. It's how she does her thing. There are cosplayers who are just as talented but they don't talk about themselves like that. She has to tell you how talented she is or she'd be like all those other highly proficient crafters you've never heard of.

Anons >>8824641 & >>8824552
if you ever come up to me I'd happily chat away about any technique you ask about. It's been at least 3 years since I met a congoer that asked questions. We traded emails so she could ask more.
That used to happen every con. Before that I think it had been another 5 years since I had a chatty chat with a random congoer about sewing shit.
It's really sad people are competing so hard. This was supposed to be at least mostly camaraderie.
>>
>>8824767
Oh god anon pls delete this horror
>>
>>8825784

As much as /cgl/ and congoers like to shit all over the Homestuck/Hetalia/Steven Universe/Undertale fandoms for being autistic, I have and still get so many genuine, interested, fan-focused conversations out of those kids. Maybe it's because they're all high schoolers and haven't turned into jaded competitive assholes, but I can think of three or four questions about crafting I got at my last con.
>>
>>8824552
>people are increasingly stand-offish or rude when I compliment their costumes and ask about specific techniques

Fucking this. People get so weird even when I just ask them what material they used for armor. Usually I'm out of costume when this happens so maybe they assume I don't know EVA from Sintra or even the right end of a glue gun. I can certainly understand not wanting to explain your whole process right in the middle of a con floor but maybe they feel it's necessary to fully grasp the depth and intricacy of their craftsmanship?
>>
>>8825517
this has nothing to do with lolita...it's that shitty cell shade makeup, are you stupid? lolitas are just dolls they don't do cell shading.
>>
>>8825801
I wonder if may be simply the fact of asking someone specific techniques brings back a sudden "ptsd-tmi-overload where should I begin" haha for the stand-offish reaction.
>>
Previous poster here

>>8825799

That is really good to hear! I thought it had pretty much died. But I'm happy it's alive somewhere. That's all I ask for.
>>
>>8825859
I got maybe half a dozen crafting questions for a Steven Universe costume at the last con I went to. (Mostly about my prop but also about my wig.) I also got several questions about styling a wig from a older anime. I've actually never run into someone who was rude or reluctant when asked about crafting, and I still get questions about it myself. Maybe I've just been lucky?
>>
File: chainwhoreden.jpg (443 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
chainwhoreden.jpg
443 KB, 1280x800
I don't know where the fuck this came from, but the trend of female cosplayers shoving their face on a character instead of making the head/helmet whatever. It's fucking lazy and looks so attention whorish
>>
File: shitzcrank.png (786 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
shitzcrank.png
786 KB, 800x600
>>8825901
>>
File: nashits.jpg (483 KB, 1215x717) Image search: [Google]
nashits.jpg
483 KB, 1215x717
>>8825902
>>
File: galiho.jpg (685 KB, 1215x717) Image search: [Google]
galiho.jpg
685 KB, 1215x717
>>8825904
>>
>>8825901
Bascially Gijinkas you mean?
>>
>>8825907
I don't know what the fuck it's called but I literally never see males do it.
>>
>>8825907
I'm pretty sure gijinkas pertain specifically to animals only. And like the poster said, it doesn't really seem to be a prominent trend among male cosplayers.
>>
>>8825907
I think they're moreso referring to the fact that it's primarily a trend among female cosplayers.
>>
>>8825914
>>8825915
Didn't mean to double post, my bad.
>>
>>8825911
>>8825914
>>8825915
Gijinka basically just means humanization so it could pretty much be anything. But I totally agree about it being a trend among females, and that in most cases it seems pretty lazy.
>>
>>8825901
I didn't notice until you mentioned it but I've never seen male cosplayers do that. And I've never once seen or heard them label them as gijinka either.
>>
>>8825906
In the LOL universe though there's no women with complete head coverings except Kayle and that's one a few skins. So pretty accurate in that sense.
>>
>>8823598
>has awesome and expensive cosplay
>ruined by the ugly piercings in her bottom lip
>>
>>8825901
>>8825902
>>8825904
>>8825906
Have you considered these are just people making a simpler version of their fav characters?
Not one of them looks slutty.
>>
>>8824563
I honestly think EVA foam armor looks fine without the worbla but everyone wants to use worbla because Kamui makes it sound like some magic material that'll automatically make your cosplay amazing.

>>8824696
Espeon is my favorite out of the group. She looks so out of it.

>>8825065
Most normies probably see it as a fetish thing similar to how people think lolita is a fetish. This girl I knew learned everything she knows about cosplay from reddit so she just assumed it was some kind of kinky sex thing.

Contributing: I hate it when people make a gijinka or crossplay costume without taking anything about the character other than their look into consideration. For example, Nyotalia does a good job of capturing the character's essence in their genderbends vs. the bikini Edward Elric I saw at the last con I attended. I doubt Edward would wear a bikini even if he was genderbent.
>>
>>8825901
>>8825902
>>8825904
>>8825906
most of these are forgivable, you're prob not going to be able to cover your face up 100% for thresh, and same goes for galio and nasus unless you're wearing the head off a fursuit. the blitz looks shit with or without a head
>>
File: Bill3.jpg (202 KB, 1172x1600) Image search: [Google]
Bill3.jpg
202 KB, 1172x1600
>>8824974
Barf.
>>
>>8826094
looks like Joker/gothic clown makeup
>>
>>8824563
I use worbla for little shit, pieces like that feel like a super waste of money
>>
>>8824585
It's good for bunny suits too
>>
>>8824568
this is just retarded
>make up collection
>flight and hotel
>badge
what. it says right there cosplay cost breakdown. unless you bought that SPECIFICALLY for the cosplay it really shouldnt count. what does her badge hotel and flight gotta do with that? thats not part of the cosplay! and make collection? seriously?! she already had most of that! this just feels like a fancy way to show off how much money you have.
>>
File: 1448484201481.jpg (229 KB, 954x708) Image search: [Google]
1448484201481.jpg
229 KB, 954x708
>>8825769
Underfell originated from someone going "let me draw some 4edgy alternate designs for the characters", they didn't want to even do anything more with it (or so they claim) and of course Tumblr just ran with it making it it's own stupid thing.

>>8826222
Oh yeah, that's perfectly fine. It's just this insistance that entire things have to be covered in it to look good.
>>
>>8826094
Isint this more like jrock/visual kei?
>>
>>8824981

I actually don't mind these.
They look pretty cleanly done.
>>
>>8826094
is that... anzu? not a fan of her because she's become a soulless sponser bot but I normally like the way she applies her makeup (it's very clean) but this is just bad
>>
>>8824696
Literally thought that the umbreon had butchered her waist in photoshop because leafeon's leaf.
>>
>>8825917
>this kid's a noob fag

sage for shitposting
>>
>>8825065
Can confirm. I have been in a few conversations with normal fags, when cosplay was brought up as a topic, that they legitimately thought cosplay was a kink thing. I spend around around $200ish per cosplay. Why would i let someone get jizz on my work?
>>
>>8825914
What do you call the kancolle boats or gundam girls then?
>>
>>8826094
this lip shit literally looks like if somebody used somebody's anus and sewed it onto someone's face.
>>
>>8826094
Worst Bill i've seen

>>8826330
Yes
>>
>>8826370
They're called mecha musume.
>>
>>8825902
at least she didn't go the easiest way like nigri. she's fully clothed
>>
>>8826382
That doesnt sound right, and I've never heard that term before, but i also dont have any proff that you're wrong. So i guess we can go with that.
>>
>>8826418
It's just like monster musume, monster girls, so looks alright to me. Not versed in the genre at all but it's not a bad name.
>>
>>8826289
No it's a Bill cosplay. (Gravity Falls)
>>
>>8826429
Yeah it makes sense. I just feel a little silly. Ive been calling all personifications gijinkas. I just that is like pronouncing neko as Ni-co and not ne-ko
>>
File: image.jpg (566 KB, 1600x1920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
566 KB, 1600x1920
Idk whoever started non-sexy inaccurate genderbends.

Genderbends are only goid if A) it's accurate to what a female version of that character would actually wear or B) it's sexy.

If you're going to be inaccurate, at least give us some t&a.
>>
>>8826492
Gijinkas work too, since it's just making something nonhuman human even if it has/had a humanoid form. It's like assholes who say anime/animation over cartoon when describing the medium of art (not to be confused with animation style)
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 200x200
>>8826502
>>
>>8826502
the costume actually looks fantastic, and actually does look pretty much what female kylo would look like, what bugs me most about this is the fact that the fucking helmet is a hasbro toy
>>
>>8825801

I had a friend that refused to post WIPs or talk about how she did stuff because she said she didn't want people "copying off her work".
>>
>>8823598
>>8823709
worked every day for all those hours. Is she including the hours her 4 friends put into those costumes over the 2 week period?

I saw both of these in person at Blizzcon, and honestly they weren't that great. They could have been better done for quite a bit less.
>>
>>8826256
meanwhile she makes videos about how she "doesn't have a lot of money" and is constantly selling her old clothes on her page, and begs on her Patreon.
>>
>>8826636
don't forget any money she makes from taking off her clothes and helping build phone apps
>>
>>8826645
Courtney, Stella, whatever is full of it
>>
>>8826610
>>8825801
>>8824552
I'm one of these people who don't share much WIPs or tell how I've made my costume. I used to do it for a very long time but after you get tens of messages asking the same things, barely even complimenting your work and just DEMANDING you to tell in great detail how you've made everything, it gets really annoying. I didn't reply one comment that basically asked for something I had already answered a million times and even explained it in the description and I got shit for it. People outright wanting you to take their hand and guide how to do the exact same costume without even being nice about it. And people who never seem to have time to hang out with you but suddenly talk to you when they need to know how I've made my costume/props etc. I admit I've become jaded. I've spent so much time and money to figure this shit out by myself with barely no tutorials since I'm an oldfag, I'm not your cosplay-pedia to milk information from whenever you need it. I know it's frustrating when people don't want to tell you about their costumes when asked but without ever getting anything in return for being helpful I just don't feel like doing it anymore. I can tell you the materials, but the rest you'll have to figure out by yourself. I'll gladly help out my closest friends but strangers or half-strangers I direct straight to google or outright ignore.
>>
>>8826609
I don't think he'd have 4" high heels. That's really impractical for combat. She was obviously trying to be sexy, but the lack of tits makes it boring.
>>
>>8824563
I remember seeing this "tutorial" when I was making armor for the first time. I had heard about this wonder material called "worbla" and thought maybe I should try it out, but first let's see how to actually use it. As soon as I saw that picture, and subsequently other worbla disasters, I decided to use EVA foam and never looked back.
>>
>>8826609
>costume

So you just dig around in your closet to make your cosplays anon?
>>
>>8826655

God fucking this!
>>
>>8826655

Well I for one am asking not cause I want you to give me a play by play. I'm asking cause I'm impressed and want to give the person the opportunity to crow about it.

I love talking shop and commiserating with my fellow crafters.

But yeah if kiddos were all up in my inbox demanding stuff I wouldn't want to help anymore either. Especially in this climate of NEVER CREDITING PEOPLE.
>>
>>8826655
This. So much.
The people got so lazy nowadays. I've made a few tutorials on a cosplay of mine because it involved tricky parts but now they want tutorials for every part of it and won't stop about it. I like helping others but this level of spoonfeeding nowadays is ridiculous. If you can't Google what a weft is I'm sorry.
>>
>>8828002
Exactly, the new wave of cosplayers are so incredibly lazy and want easy answers for everything. Something 101-level basic like dying a wig would give out a million detailed tutorial results on google if you just typed those three words in there but instead these dumbfucks just march to their local community's discussion group to ask directions. And what's this talk about making your own patterns by trying and modifying and making a proto piece? Nah, I'll just badger some cosplayer who did the same costume to give me theirs! There has to be an easy way out of having to put actual effort into my costume!

I respect other cosplayers enough to just ask what material they used, not the whole story behind their techniques. Because people are so goddamn lazy nowadays we just have a million generic Kamui worbla armormakers filling up the place since they can't be bothered with learning their own techniques and practices.
>>
>>8828011
Yes!! I've never thought I'd ever get asked for an exact armor pattern. Repeatedly. Worst part of it being a simple zylinder shape. I'm an oldfag too and newbie-me would have been embarrassed to do so.
>>
>>8825532
This. And also that people seem to think that because they have put boning in something they will be able to cram their huge body in it and all will be well, then the boning pops out of place/inverts itself and is all lumpy and awful
>>
>>8824613
I don't mean this in a rude way (though it might come across like that, sorry!), but why would you wait to take a photo with her?
>>
>>8824767
That dress looks like something someone would try to sell as homemade lolita on etsy
>>
>>8824981
Link, please.
>>
>>8828120
youtube.com/user/zWinnieYap

She's got a few decent non-anime looks.
>>
>>8828011
I've been emailed many times for my patterns and so far every single email is missing a Hello in the beginning and a Thank You at the end.
>>
File: .jpg (57 KB, 552x670) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
57 KB, 552x670
>>8826675
Those aren't even 4" heels.
>>
>>8828343
They look like 4" on my shitty phone screen. Either way, assuming Kylo would wear heels like that is fucking retarded. Have you ever tried running in heels? Not to mention all the things they could get caught on inside his ship and outside.

Tripping and falling during lightsaber battle = high risk for death and being a massive failure of a human being. The cosplayer clearly just pulled black shit from her closet and called it "Kylie Ren".
>>
>>8823749
Evie, you are is literally the cutest.
>>
>>8828349
Kylo ren dresses like a mall goth are we really arguing over the way he would or would not dress
>>
>>8828349
>>8828573 gets it.
I'm honestly more bothered by the lack of emo going on with the hair and make up. It's just too pretty.
>>
>>8823714
>So price was inflated to make it seem more impressive? kek

For me, bragging how much you spent on cosplay just gives off the vibe that you don't know what you're doing. If anything, seeing a good outfit and showcasing how much a cosplayer SAVED really shows off their ingenuity and resourcefulness.
>>
>>8826300
They don't look so bad on asian eyes, but western people insist on copying these looks and it just looks a mess.
>>
>>8823598
This was a thing that was done on cosplay sites like Cosplaylab. You had to list material costs and such, and honestly it was very interesting to see. It wasn't one person of started it but rather just how the site worked.
>>
>>8825517
ive never seen one lolita do this
>>
>>8825538
what the hell is underfell? undertale?
>>
>>8826609
>4 inch heels
>thermal shirt from her closet
>shitton of eyemakeup
>long, unbound hair
>corset

This is not accurate to Star Wars universe, the jedi, or Kylo Ren as a character at all. It's just a shitty sexy cosplay.
>>
File: image.png (217 KB, 390x435) Image search: [Google]
image.png
217 KB, 390x435
>>8828607
>>8828573
>mall goth
He dresses like a Sith Lord. Why are you defending this shitty closet cosplay? Modesty doesn't make it good. Hell, even JNig's cosplays are better than this because they're at least handmade.
>>
>>8828956
the fucking hasbro helmet is still killing me
>>
>>8826622
vendetta much? They looked much better than a lot of the stuff there? I mean does anyone need to see another fat jaina or sylvanas or "night" elf too lazy to actually paint themselves
>>
>>8823517
He looks like a Skyrim Mod.
>>
>>8829185
She.
You're right though.
>>
>>8823749
Why would you do this to Lady Amalthea? Her original dress is much prettier.
>>
>>8828861

Agree. It's meant to be exaggerated because Asians have smaller eyes. A more toned down version could easily work on bigger/Western eyes, but it seems like people are too lazy to experiment or just want to be spoonfed.
>>
File: 1453758152969.jpg (55 KB, 910x958) Image search: [Google]
1453758152969.jpg
55 KB, 910x958
>>8832061
Posted this on the bad make up thread but I guess it illustrates well why this trend is a bad idea.
>>
>>8832065

I see a bunch of shakey lines and messily applied exaggerated eye makeup. If she could just practice on putting it on cleanly and make the lines less solid black then maybe it could work out(?).
>>
File: 20150926_182906.png (817 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
20150926_182906.png
817 KB, 540x960
>>8828067
Not the poster, you're replying to but I was also there and got in line sort of late so it took quite a while, so maybe I could answer? Like, there's a certain compulsion to take a photo that's hard to pin exactly, a little like the desire to take photos of or with cosplayers. For me I think it's because Reika is a really big inspiration to me (and a total sweetheart) so it's like proof to myself that I was able to meet her. It's also a good opportunity to talk to them for a couple of seconds.
>>
>>8836036
>>8823526

HOLY SHIT! She does look the same in all the photos!
WTF is with that mouth? That's disgusting as fuck!
>>
>>8836047
Idk what it's called but it isn't exactly uncommon. I think it's really cute.
>>
File: duck_PNG4998.png (3 MB, 2535x2901) Image search: [Google]
duck_PNG4998.png
3 MB, 2535x2901
>>8836053
So.... it's a duck?
>>
>>8836047
I'm probably not corrct, but the smile may be done because, by stretching the bottom lip down, it minimalizes chin space, making your chin look less like a dorito...? I'm not totally sure because I'm an idiot, but I don't think it's all that bad.
>>
>>8825538
I know this group, this photo is now years old and 2p is canon anyway.
>>
>>8825799
This is really endearing. I miss this about cons too, unfortunately I always seem to be into stuff I can find no one else into. I know they're around I'm just not lucky.
>>
>>8826263
>>8826222

this, so much, it's just way too expensive when there's like a thousand ways to make armor and have it look good. I like using worbla for small things, too, like small details or actually as a connection piece for keeping the armor on me since it's so sturdy. I can make custom hook and eyes really easily with it.
>>
>>8828573
>Kylo ren dresses like a mall goth
exactly. honestly that cosplay works surprisingly well for something so lazy.
>>
File: _B4N9370.jpg (380 KB, 530x808) Image search: [Google]
_B4N9370.jpg
380 KB, 530x808
Kelly Jean / Ai Honey

The flood of Yoko cosplays was going to be inevitable, but she was the first and she really gave people license to run it into the ground.

Jessica Nigri creditted KJ's Yoko with giving her the idea of making a name from tits-out cosplay shoots, so you can say that everything you think of Nigri starting was really started by KJ.
>>
>>8824568
Holy shit I get Blizzcon is a big con but $200 for a badge?
>>
>>8839306
You can stop samefagging now.
>>
>>8839310
God she looks like she has down syndrome in this pic.
>>
>>8825904
This one irks me because I'm planning a full stargazer anubis once my skills reach that level, but it looks okay
>>
>>8839417
Oops wrong game I just glanced at it
>>
>>8839310
her top seems....loose fitting...like it could lift up without any effort. =D
>>
>>8839421
And now you understand where the popularity came from
>>
>>8839310
and here I thought she was just popular for taking it up the poop chute from Volpin!
>>
>>8825901
Showing a face is attention whorish.

Holy shit we've come full circle.
>>
>>8828956
Fucking thank you
>>
>>8825538
mfw the america is an old friend
Not sure where he ended up
>>
>>8828343
Yikes
>>
>>8839417
>Stargazer Anubis
I love you anon.
>>
>>8839306
You must either be the Kylie Ren girl or a friend of hers.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 480x720
>>8825960
It's funny the amount of bad examples of sluttiness this person posted; these are the cream-of-the-crop League humanizations. Most ARE slutty.
>>
>>8839685
>only midriff showing
>"slutty"
Are you like 60 years old? This is some 1950's logic.
>>
>>8839685
This is one of my all time favorite league cosplays!
>>
>>8839690
>Only midriff
>ignoring the thighs
>ignoring the chest

I mean I agree with you, I don't think its super slutty. Its a fairly accurate rengar if he was human and a she.
>>
>>8839518
If anything that made her less popular. Her peak fame was when she was doing A2M for Lillyxandra's future husband.
>>
>>8839728
>oh no, her thighs are showing
>how inappropriate!!
Also, what chest?
All I can see is her top getting in the way.
>>
>>8839685
This isn't her. This is from an artist who is well known and she cosplayed the image drawn. This is wonderfully put together and the fabrication is amazing. Blame the people drawing the fanart, not the cosplayers who like the fanart and want to cosplay it. Especially if you have the body to do the cosplay. I don't see the problem.

Also, this isn't anything new. Gijinka has been around for YEARS. Even before cosplay was a thing. Just minus the word 'gijinka'.
>>
>>8839349
its because you get a lot of freeshit plus a goodie bag etc.
>>
>>8839848
>Blame the people drawing the fanart, not the cosplayers who like the fanart and want to cosplay it.

they still chose to cosplay a slutty version.
>>
>>8839549
not putting in the effort to make a complete costume in exchange for letting people see your face is attention whorish
>>
>>8825960
Nobody ever said they look slutty.
>>
>>8839942
Less clothes doesn't mean slutty. Maybe its because I'm not longer a teen that I just don't care about what others cosplay as at conventions, but I just don't give a damn what people do and don't wear. As long as they aren't super obese, hanging over stomach, and wearing a tube top. You can cosplay whatever the fuck you want in my book, but make it fit your body type.
>>
File: 123.png (227 KB, 502x354) Image search: [Google]
123.png
227 KB, 502x354
A lot of famous or semi-famous cosplayers are guilty of this but samefacing and sameposing in every picture with every character is just bugging the hell out of me.

At least try to pose or look different. I know it's nice to have a perfect selfie angle and all but it just makes me think you look grotesque in any other angle or pose.
>>
File: 0WIJLEU.jpg (2 MB, 3188x1793) Image search: [Google]
0WIJLEU.jpg
2 MB, 3188x1793
>>8824563
I'm currently using Worbla on a bit of me and my wife's Cosplay.

Hopefully.... I'm not in that camp.
>>
File: H9TFAXv.jpg (1 MB, 3188x1793) Image search: [Google]
H9TFAXv.jpg
1 MB, 3188x1793
>>8824563
>>
>>8841432
>>8841437
Christ, go to the progress thread instead of fishing for asspats here.
>>
>>8839349
and there's rumors that the price is going up again this year
>>
>>8826502
I'm so confused. Is this an example of what isn't sexy, or what is.
You say you want t&a....but there's two effing thighs showing.
Oh yes, so unsexy
>>
I hate the trend that Gladzy Kei has started of making every fucking character with armor.
>>
>>8845235

And it's the exact same armor with her meh art.
>>
>>8841437
Friend you are using it wrong...
>>
>>8839668
dude, why would i want to cosplay as a mall goth?
Thread replies: 239
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.