[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Handmade Lolita Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 49
Post good handmade, tutorials, questions, etc.
>>
Anyone here do a wardrobe post including things you've handmade?
>>
>>8824771
I'm still photographing mine, should have it up before the end of the month. My wardrobe is about 40% handmade.
>>
>>8824771
yep, mine is already posted
>>
There are countless petticoat tutorials, but not so many rebiews of them. Which one makes the best, perfect petticoat?
>>
>>8824888
What do you mean by best and perfect? Perfect for what?
>>
>>8823500
Oh this is cute. Love the fabric and color
>>
>>8824794
>>8824796
Link? If you want to
>>
>>8825627
http://egl.livejournal.com/20017218.html
>>
>>8825964
Your pieces are lovely!
>>
>>8825964
love it! what projects do you have in mind for 2016?
>>
I want to make a dress with whalebones (either plastic or steel ones) in the front and corset lacing in the back, and I'm looking for a sturdy type of fabric, that doesn't look thick.
Does anyone have any fabric recommendations?
>>
>>8826120
Thanks!
Speaking of lolita, nothing in particular. I made a lot of stuff for myself when I was new, had nothing to wear, was not aware of how brand will fit me and was not used to the costs of brand lolita clothing. Now I buy a lot and sew only in cases when I need something extra frilly and fancy. Besides that, I sew on commission for cosplayers, and that eats up most of my free time.

>>8826044
Thank you!
>>
>>8826315
Line the bodice with cotton twill and sew the channels/casing for the boning to the twill. It's thick but it won't show underneath your outer fabric.
>>
File: 8235321.jpg (325 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
8235321.jpg
325 KB, 900x1200
I love the bodice on this OP, how did you get the sleeves to attach?
>>
>>8826315
It is just called boning not whale bones.
>>
>>8824988
Perfect shape, longetivity, quality.. There are some petti tutorials where the end result looks like its the first time they made something
>>
>>8824794
Same here. Hoping to do photos this weekend.
>>
>>8826629
The sleeves are sewn in between the outer part and lining.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 400x533
Not all handmade is the same.
>>
>>8826768
So are the sleeves a long rectangle gathered with elastic or are they more of a trapezoid-ish shape?
>>
>>8826881
Yes, they are rectangles with elastic.
>>
>>8826824
This is really sad. Where is it from, and what exactly is it?
>>
>>8826909
Thanks!

>>8826824
This looks so cosplay-ish.
>>
>>8826824
Is this an Merryweather cosplay?

Where's the rest of the group?
>>
File: image.jpg (350 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
350 KB, 2048x1365
>>
File: image.jpg (286 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
286 KB, 2048x1365
>>8827128
OMG 4 chan why
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 400x550
>>8827130
Not sure I love this one as much but I like fancy things.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 525x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 525x700
>>8827134
>>
>>8827134
See, this is lovely. This is taking historical inspiration and applying it to lolita really well, in my opinion. No stupid overembellished bullshit, just a borrowing of the silhouette and certain details. I love it. Especially those pleats.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 400x559) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 400x559
>>8827175
It's two separate pieces which is cool. I guess it just feels bulky to me? I think the angle isn't very flattering for the bodice.
>>
>>8827341
Yeah, could be the angle. The construction looks really solid, and the skirt is really cute on its own, too.
>>
>>8826916
Found it in the lolita fashion tag.
>>
>>8824771
I've got a few handmade pieces in mine, already posted it.
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 1800x2701) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 1800x2701
>>
>>8827130
this is amazing.
>>
>>8827134
this is amazing
>>8827136
this is amazing
>>
>>8827341
I love these pleats! They're such a subtle but unique detail.
>>
File: image.jpg (283 KB, 408x662) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
283 KB, 408x662
>>
File: OOmKW0m.jpg (443 KB, 800x518) Image search: [Google]
OOmKW0m.jpg
443 KB, 800x518
left one
>>
File: image.jpg (954 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
954 KB, 1280x1707
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 1242x1242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 1242x1242
Has anybody tried making a bonnet out of an oversized brim visor? I wanted to try doing this with pic related. Any tips?
>>
>>8829944

I would suggest tracing the shape of the visor out to use as a template for making a bonnet, rather than actually trying to encase the visor in fabric. If you have decent sewing skills, it'll be easier than trying to hotglue fabric around a curved edge while turning under the raw edges.
>>
>>8829955
That is true, the only thing I was concerned about was making sure the bonnet is stiff. I have a soft brim bonnet right now and I don't really like it that much. What is the best way to sew a stiff bonnet without the visor underneath? I have decent sewing skills and experience.
>>
>>8829960
You can buy a heavy weight of interfacing at the craft store generally.
>>
>>8829960
I used thicker paper for stiffness, but ofcourse you have to be more careful when storing or with rain, but it works and holds it shape
>>
Where is the best place to buy large amounts of decent quality lace?
>>
>>8833192
Taobao. Cock Robins Song has a ton of nice mesh/ tulle lace. Lots of things that are very Lolita appropriate, polka dots bows etc.
>>
File: QRu2IoOHkQ0.jpg (293 KB, 1230x2048) Image search: [Google]
QRu2IoOHkQ0.jpg
293 KB, 1230x2048
First time i see shiny fabric looking good
>>
>>8833323
Oh my god this is precious.
>>
>>8833323
it would look immediately better if it wasnt shiny, but the cut and color are so pretty!
>>
>>8833376
I disagree. This design is actually really simple. With out the fabric to add interest it would be too plain.
>>
Someone's selling AatP fabric on auctions: http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/show/image?aID=h218196998&apg=1
>>
File: beadwork.jpg (323 KB, 1292x652) Image search: [Google]
beadwork.jpg
323 KB, 1292x652
Can I ask about accessories here? I was really into beadworks in middle school and now I would like to get back to it. What kind of accessories would be acceptable in lolita (and ouji)?

Pic related, headband I made long time ago, would do again with better colours
>>
>>8834533
Beadwork is not good for lolita. Look at what people actually wear.
>>
What are good things to begin with if you are a sewing noob?
Bloomers and a petticoat?
What shouldn't I try?
>>
>>8834556
Skirts are good.
>>
>>8834556
definitely not a petti, pettis are a fucking nightmare. skirts, simple bloomers, maybe headpieces and aprons if you're into the latter.
>>
File: il_340x270.862603738_quif[1].jpg (43 KB, 340x270) Image search: [Google]
il_340x270.862603738_quif[1].jpg
43 KB, 340x270
>>8834533

The most obvious way to start is by making jewellery to match your existing dresses or outfits. Stick to jewellery at first, as it's the most natural place to have beadwork in. Think about the jewellery you want to make the same way you'd think about making a coord -- keep the colours and themes balanced, match them to your dress/outfit, have a shape/shine that complements the overall outfit.

Keep in mind that even simple lolita outfits often consist of many elements (lace, fabric, beading details), so to match, you do need something more elaborate than a simple seed bead net design. At least have a design with different bead sizes for interest, or create beads out of smaller seed beads. Try to keep the number of crystal-style beads down, pearl/faux pearl/pearl finishes tend to work much better with most lolita dresses.

I don't suggest making random jewellery without owning a dress/outfit for them. It's much easier to find random jewellery that matches a dress/outfit, but very hard, sometimes downright impossible, to start with a random bracelet or necklace and then try to find a lolita/ouji dress/outfit that matches it.
>>
>>8834533
This is not the right aesthetic for Lolita fashion. I suggest exploring fairy kei or decora instead. You can make something fun and cute but if you try to force it to be Lolita it's going to end in disappointment.
>>
>>8829944
someone did the bonnet out of a visor. I would do it if the visor was more rounded that just tallness http://egl.livejournal.com/16694427.html

however I'm more concerned of using the bonnet out of the straw hat since I'm not good at reconstructing things
>>
So I was thinking of doing a Neapolitan ice cream jsk. Believe it or not there isn't any fabric really, in the right color scheme. (I did find one thing but it was $25/yd um no)

So the new plan is doing a pink and white dress with a brown melty chocolate border across the top of the dress.

1. Is this a terrible idea?
2. Stripes or gingham for the pink?
3. Coord ideas?

Plz advise.
>>
File: icecream_mag2[1].jpg (19 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
icecream_mag2[1].jpg
19 KB, 400x300
>>8834896

The trouble with doing Neopolitan is that it basically reduces to a white x pink x brown colour scheme and not much else. You need to step away from thinking about it as ice cream and start thinking in terms of colour balance for the whole coord, not just the dress. Don't get so caught up obssessing over the theme that you end up with a three-colour dress that's impossible to coord.

Personally I'd do it as one or two colours for the jsk, and then add the other colours in as something else, for eg:
- solid pink jsk with brown buttons, white blouse and socks, brown shoes and brown bag
- pink jsk with white details, brown bolero, white socks, and pink or brown shoes and bag
- pink and brown onepiece with white socks, pink or brown shoes and bag
- etc

You could add the melty border across the top of the dress or the top of the skirt in any of the combinations above. Then tie the ice cream theme back even more strongly by adding some ice cream-themed jewellery, eg a brooch, necklace or even hair clips.
>>
>>8834533

Yes, if you adopt it for the right aesthetic. Innocent World makes a lot of simple 'beadwork' involving simple right angle weave and pearls. Gothic chokers can often use beaded motifs to create intricate patterns. I can't think of anything for sweet, but a cute simple beaded choker could be a nice background for a sweet pendant.

My tip would be when looking for beadwork patterns is to KISS - keep it simple. Japanese beadwork is a lot more workable with lolita if you can read Japanese or are good with following diagrams. Even looking for inspiration from ebay, taobao, or other online stores is a good way of developing an eye for what aesthetics work. I love looking at old beaded vintage necklaces because they have a restrained elegance to them that works with classic lolita.

>>8834549
>>8834788

What. No. Stop.
>>
>>8833323
Only thing that bothers me is the puffy sleeve things.
>>
What taobao shops do you use for fabric? I'd love to hunt down a few border prints if possible.
>>
File: image.jpg (150 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150 KB, 720x720
This is really cute.
>>
>>8836776
Closet of frills?
>>
>>8836830
yup, but she mentioned the dress was handmade. I almost wish she had made it a little shorter, I think the propotions would have been more flattering.
>>
>>8836847
Wish there was more handmade in closet of frills.
>>
>>8836776
I don't really care for the lace, rickrack, or cheap ribbon here but the fabric is nice
>>
File: 16-01-28-21-59-27-710_deco.jpg (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
16-01-28-21-59-27-710_deco.jpg
3 MB, 1440x2560
Any concrit before I put this together? So far I've only cut the fabric and lining, although I've attached the lining to the skirt already.
I forgot to get the solid red fabric when I was out, so I'll have to go back tomorrow. I was planning on using a satin-y organza thing (bad with names, sorry) but should I just stick with cotton? I want there to be a detachable bow on the waist with long tails, kind of like milky cross, and I think it would look nicer in a fancier material.
Obviously the reds will match better.
>>
>>8837277
i love this.

i am completely and utterly new to sewing. where did you learn basic dress construction? how did you learn this pattern?

i feel like you could apply this pattern to a ton of different materials and fill up a casual-wear wardrobe pretty quickly.

i lurked through the sewing thread, and while a lot of it was useful information, i find it all very confusing.

sorry if this question is redundant. i'm sure it gets asked a lot...
>>
>>8834896
All right, personally, I have a Spumoni (and neopolitan) themed wardrobe and really base it off off whites/mints/browns/pinks.
I find choosing two colors to look for in a fabric works really well rather than trying to get all 3. You could do a layered skirt like the chocolate a la mode BTSSB one, with each layer, in the correct order.
>>
>>8837277

This is pretty cute.

I'd be wary of sewing organza, satin, organdy, etc, any material with a low melting temp onto a cotton dress, because cottton dresses need a fairly high ironing temperature, which means you run the risk of melting them every time you try to iron the dress (cotton does wrinkle and will need ironing, so it's not like you can avoid it). Maybe if you make the belt detachable and shoulder straps detachable so that you can iron the dresss seperately?
>>
>>8837297
It's just a commercial pattern from joanns, actually! I believe it's from simplicity. I picked a pattern that had a simple jsk style bodice, then made my own skirt pattern based on what I saw in my other dresses, the skirts are usually big rectangles. The bodice will be more shapely once I've sewn it together, it's just folded up now.
As for actual construction, it's looking up tutorials on youtube and making educated guesses. I would try making an unlined dress with thick fabric first, then try a thinner fabric with a lining. You won't really understand what a lot of people are talking about until you try it yourself. Start with a jsk. I hope you do well, anon!

>>8837379
I think detachable straps in the front could look kind of iffy. I usually steam my dresses, though, could that play a role?

Any other crit about the design of the dress would be awesome. For a minute I was considering just ditching the solid red and doing all gingham, but I still like the shiny sash and big bow idea too.
>>
>>8837400

To make detachable shoulder straps, you put little tiny buttons on the inside of the bodice, then make buttonholes on the straps. There's a few aatp dresses that do it (I have this one: http://www.lolibrary.org/apparel/roses-prisoner-pirates-ship-jsk-ii), and with that lace over the top of the bodice, the buttonhole is not likely to be hugely visible. You can just about see the buttonhole at the end of the shoulder strap in this pic.

Poly fabrics can withstand steaming better than ironing, but someone told me once she had an issue with steaming being unable to get the most annoying wrinkles out of cotton. I guess if not pressing the cotton completely flat doesn't bother you, then it should be okay to mix the fabric and steam them to get the wrinkles out.

Design-wise, I like the solid red. I feel like it accents the gingham really nicely.

However, my first instinct would be to pair matte, flat cotton fabric with thick, wide grosgrain ribbon instead of something shiny. I think something like an organdy bow might look more appropriate if your dress had been made with gingham chiffon instead of gingham cotton as the fabric would sort of be same-ish. I'd also stick to organdy and chiffon instead of something actually shiny as well. But maybe this is just me being an old stick in the mud.

If you really like the shiny bow, I'd say do all the red pieces as being detachable. That way if you don't like them after the dress is all made up, you can easily detach them and make a new set out of matte fabric.
>>
>>8837436
I actually really like the idea of the thin straps, I always do fatass AP straps. I think it would add to the lightness of the piece, and make it wearable as a normie thing.

I've been thinking about it for a bit, and I actually probably will do kind of what you're saying. My plan was to actually sew in the red waistband and straps. New idea is to sew in the waistband and straps in cotton, then make a detachable organdy/satin/something sash and bow.

Thanks for the help and thorough reply, anon!
>>
>>8837459

No problem, glad you found it useful.

Do come back and show us the dress after it's done, I'd love to see it finished.
>>
>>8837400
wow! thank you for your encouraging reply!
i did think of using a store-bought pattern, but i just found the variety so overwhelming and i couldn't find the style i was looking for.
i think i will print out a picture of a dress in a cut like yours and ask the attendants if they could help me find the pattern i need.

thank you again and i can't wait to see your dress completed :3
>>
>>8836776
I hope she goes for nicer lace and wider/less shiny ribbon next time but other than that, yeah this is really cute!
>>
Does anyone have any pattern recommendations? I like the otome no sewing, but they're a tad too small and I'm terrible at drafting.

We really ought to have a pastebin or google doc for resources.
>>
>>8837750
its your birthday
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZoSyFzn2HVSl7rWG-y3ML1FGbAIyBM1E7F6oc1JEq0A/edit
>>
File: 141104-m-02-dl.jpg (20 KB, 250x334) Image search: [Google]
141104-m-02-dl.jpg
20 KB, 250x334
I'm going to sew a blouse and I want to make a collar similar to the pic. The problem is I don't know how I should pattern it. Can someone help?
>>
File: tumblr_n14gmgUcMU1rgnxpao1_500.jpg (82 KB, 500x666) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n14gmgUcMU1rgnxpao1_500.jpg
82 KB, 500x666
>>8827136
Posting the back of this one because it's gorgeous.
>>
>>8838096
this is really unique
>>
another from CoF
>>
>>8837778
I think this should be linked to every time there's a new thread.
>>
>>
>>
>>8840613
I remember seeing this. Proof that a decent cheap lolita can be done.
>>
>>
>>8833323
the shimmer gives too much of a sissy vibe. sorry
>>
>>8840644
I have a feeling it looks cute in this picture and pretty much no other circumstances.
>>
>>8840627
>handmake dress to own measurements
>still doesn't fit
oy vey
>>
>>8829960
you need buckram, it's stiff interfacing for crafting hats bonnets etc
>>
>>8837984
look at sailor collars , same principal really
>>
>>8837984
It's pretty similar to sailor collar patterning like >>8840666 said. You can find tutorials under "square collar" or "pilgrim collar", usually for little kids' dresses. It's also one you sometimes see in vintage patterns, but they generally have a lower, squared neckline to match.
>>
File: artbonnet.jpg (98 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
artbonnet.jpg
98 KB, 720x960
A friend of mine made this, it's Snow White inspired. He made it as a gift for another friend. He's made a couple of other bonnets too, but most of the pictures of them are with him wearing them as part of his coords.
>>
>>8841339
Can you post the other bonnets?
>>
File: artbonnet2.jpg (129 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
artbonnet2.jpg
129 KB, 960x960
>>8841358
This is the only other one I could find that didn't have him in the shot.
>>
>>8840644
...sissy vibe? whats wrong with shiny fabric?
>>
>>8841417
I'm not bothered by the shine on this one because the iridescence is neat, but sissy dresses in general use really cheap, costume satin and organza. Which are super shiny.
>>
>>8840627
She really needs to learn how to use an iron.
Those puckers in the boob darts are embarrassing too.
>>
>>8841339
>>8841407
These are gorgeous
>>
File: image.jpg (197 KB, 750x929) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197 KB, 750x929
can I get some ideas on what to make with fabric like this? I think the print is too busy for an all over dress, but I don't want it to look like a knock off of that innocent world print that uses chocolate box on bottom and a different fabric for the top.

Thoughts?
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 240x320
>>8842411
Innocent World dress in question
>>
>>8842411
Do something with pleated chiffon ruffle trim, the texture always reminds me of those little paper candy cups. If you do something with a tiered skirt you can use the print for just one tier, so it gives the same feeling as chocolates being revealed from a box.
>>
File: sugoi.gif (88 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
sugoi.gif
88 KB, 500x350
>>8837778
bless you anon
>>
Can someone post pics of handmade crowns?
>>
>>8842411
I'd so just do the print skirt and solid top. If you're worried about it looking like a knock-off, just be sure to use dark brown for the bodice and and maybe make it a high waist or give it a yoke or something to make it look different. Come to think of it, an OP would be really cute if you have the patience for that shit.

>>8842426
The ruffle trim is an amazing idea!
I feel like the printed fabric in ruffle tiers sounds like an etsy nightmare, though.

>>8837984
But it's not really like a sailor collar because the neck is normal, it's just a weird collar. I'd say draft the shape like a sailor collar (in accordance with the shoulder seams etc) but sew it on like an ordinary collar.
>>
>>8835762
Why are you telling me to stop? What she posted does not fit the lolita aesthetic. Telling her to do a completely different genre of beadwork is functionally the same as telling her to find a different genre of fashion. Her example picture and yours are miles apart in style and materials.
>>
File: 2h3sbrn[1].jpg (210 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
2h3sbrn[1].jpg
210 KB, 600x480
>>8842411

You can make the whole dress out of that fabric if you want, it would then be completely different from the IW design. It's just that matching the print across the bodice could be a pain in the butt, particularly if you're busty (since the bust curve would be pretty deep).

If you do decide to make the whole dress out of that fabric, model it after otome dresses, which does use some very busy prints, but they keep the design simple and use some small, simple accents so the end result is a quirky dress that's cute despite having a busy print.
>>
File: image.jpg (191 KB, 750x998) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
191 KB, 750x998
How many hours do you spend making something like pic related? The dress I was supossed to wear might not get to me in time. I have decent skills (never made a dress, but I can make skirts and jackets) + I have patterns from otome no sewing. Can it be done in less than 3 days or is it too late?
>>
>>8845602
3 days/evenings on average, in hours I don't know, maybe, 15?
>>
File: 459982-561-2015-09-10124537[1].jpg (65 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
459982-561-2015-09-10124537[1].jpg
65 KB, 400x533
>>8845602

Depends.

- 3 whole days of sewing, it can be done.
- If you have a ruffling foot, it'll go even faster since the ruffles tend to take up a lot of time to do nicely.
- If you have nice lace you can simplify the design down to a basic dress + nice lace (pic related), do less work and still have a nice lolita dress.
- you may need time to modify the OnS patterns if you aren't around 155-160cm. Sew a mockup and check the fit of the pattern before you start, you don't want to spend two days sewing only to find out on the third day that it doesn't fit.

If you're marking a negative on all of those, ie -- only two hours after dinner every day to sew, no ruffling foot combined with design full of frills and pintucks, need to modify the patterns.... eehhhh it's probably time to borrow a dress or ask if you can join the meetup in normie clothes.
>>
Now, I know this has been talked about before, therefore I know there's a market out there for lolita/j-fash/cosplay pre-made sewing patterns. This is something I've been thinking about for a while but haven't been sure how to go about it, since paper patterns would be prohibitively expensive to ship (and quite time-consuming to trace off for every customer), and pdf patterns would be paid for a few times and then probably distributed for free around the internet. However, an option I've never considered before is Patreon. If I was to begin creating patterns and raising funds through Patreon, the process would go something like this;

- People subscribe to the Patreon. It seems I can set it for either a monthly or per-project amount. If it were monthly, I would have a set number of items that had to be released each month (eg 1 OP and 1 blouse, or 1 full ouji set, or similar).
- I create the patterns, have them tested etc. They would probably come in one or two sizes with appropriate markings/instructions for how to alter the size of the pattern, as well as assembly instructions. They would come as either the print-and-stick-at-home kind or the 1-inch scale kind that are used most period pattern cutting books.
- The patterns are then distributed for free online. The funds collected for the month/project go towards the creation of the next set of patterns.

Would anyone be interested in subscribing to something like this? I would probably have cosplay separate to fashion if I were to go down that route, so that people aren't sponsoring things they aren't interested in. For cosplay I would probably take requests and then hold a vote a couple of months in advance in order to pick patterns that are wanted by as many patrons as possible.

(Background: For those concerned, I've been formally studying drafting and construction for almost five years. There aren't going to be any of those basic 'gathered skirt and waistband!~' patterns that are already free everywhere.)
>>
>>8846084

(This is from the lolita perspective, not sure about cosplay):

Actually, the discussion is generally from the side of someone wanting to supply patterns, not the demand side. So I don't know if there is a market.

To recap old discussions (again, this is mostly from the lolita perspective):
- your biggest competitor is the OnS, which packs a lot of patterns in for a small amount of money.
- OnS's biggest weaknesses are the shipping fees (but you can get around it by waiting for cdjapan to run free ship promo), the sizes are all for short flat girls, and it's in Japanese.
- So if you do your pattern via the internet, instructions are in English (I don't know if you want to offer translations to other languages), and offer more variability in sizing, or at least provide some really clear instructions on how to size up, size down, alter patterns to fit all the other body types that OnS doesn't cover, you may have a market.
- No one's really sure how big the market is. There's only a handful of girls who sew lolita, and some of them may not even want to shell out for patterns. Some others like the anon above may stick with lolifying existing mainstream patterns.
- The patreon model is interesting, though, maybe you can appeal to those who don't even sew but have some money and would be willing to throw it in your direction as a gesture towards supporting the fashion in general? idk.

If you do go ahead, please drop your patreon or weblink or whatever. I'd sign up for at least one lolita project, I hate pattern drafting and the OnS doesn't give instructions for sizing up bust cups (it only gives instructions for making dresses bigger or longer).
>>
File: image.jpg (193 KB, 722x737) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193 KB, 722x737
Is this terrible? It's only $10/yd and I'd probably make something otome ish out of it.
>>
>>8847760
Is this gobelin fabric? It would make a nice square JSK a la Jane Marple with a brown velveteen bodice.
>>
>>8847760

The print is pretty cute. Just avoid adding any more of that bright green from the print though, it's kinda bright. Lavender accents (like a bow or something) would suit the print, I think.
>>
>>8847760
It's cute in a crazy cat-loving tacky aunt way, which can definitely work for otome. I'd wear it.
>>
Anyone know about how much it is per meter to ship fabric from China to US? I'm probably going with spreenow but I'd like to know how much shipping would be. (first taobao order)
>>
>>8847760
I'd make a simple Jane Marple style JSK out of this with a lavender waist ribbon. The print scale is quite large, so keeping it simple will push it more toward quirky than overwhelming and tacky.
>>
>>8847955
For clarification, I mean cotton fabric like in this dress. Would 6 meters be around a kilogram?
>>
>>8847983
(I heard somewhere they round up, sorry for double post)
>>
>>8847541
Thanks for the feedback, anon! Whenever I've seen these discussions happen before, it seems like quite a few people respond saying they'd be interested in patterns, but you're right in that OnS probably covers quite a lot of those people already. Definitely everything would be in English, and I was considering having funding goals to finance having the instructions translated to other Euro languages (French, Spanish and German probably being the main ones I'd consider). I would probably draft to British standardised sizes, with alteration instructions. The alteration instructions could be standardised so that you get the same ones with each pattern, since the methods are the same regardless. I was going to offer one or two sizes, but your point about OnS sizing is a good one so maybe I should consider doing more. I'll have a bit more of a detailed think about it; it was just kind of an idea I had and I thought this thread would be a good sounding board, so to speak. I definitely can't get properly started up until September when I've finished uni and come back from travelling, at any rate, but that means I have plenty of time to plan and consider it.
>>
>>8846084

Anon, I love this idea. I'm pretty decent at modifying normal patterns for lolita, but sometimes I'd just really love the ease of using a pattern straight away without having to make changes. I think it would work very well having lolita and cosplay, even if it's like... 2 lolita items a month and 2 cosplay items. Because a lot of cosplay items need lolita patterns, too.
>>
>>8848284
>>8847541
>>8845610
complete newbie to sewing lolita here, what does OnS stand for?
>>
>>8848428
Otome no Sewing
>>
>>8848434
thank you so much.
>>
File: hustlehustle.jpg (146 KB, 799x682) Image search: [Google]
hustlehustle.jpg
146 KB, 799x682
First time I ever try sewing so I know I made mistakes, but I also learned a lot from this!
I've always wanted to own lolita but its too expensive for me to be able to afford brand at the moment so I wanted to try making my own design, what do you guys think?
Any kind of concrit would be really appreciated
>>
>>8848555
I really like the design of this! I would say that you need to work on putting in zips (you shouldn't be able to see the zipper tape), and maybe adjust your pattern because the back of the bodice doesn't fit you too well (it's narrow towards the top across the shoulders, and too long down the centre back, I think), but the front looks good! Your skirt could do with being a tiny bit longer and a fair amount fuller, too. Overall, though, pretty good for your first dress.
>>
>>8848555
Holy shit anon, you made that yourself?
That's really beautiful and elegant. I think it would look even cuter with some lace on the hem of the skirt.
But besides that, it's a very lovely dress and if it was a release by a brand or indie brand I would totally buy it.
>>
>>8848592
Thanks for concrit! I had trouble with the zipper and kind of rushed it, especially since I thought compared with everything else I did it would be no issue (I was wrong) so I'll try to see what I can do about that this weekend.
Making the pattern was the most difficult part and it took me so long, but now that you pointed all that out I can see what you mean. I'll make sure to be more careful with my patterns in the future!
>>8848593
Aww you're so sweet, anon! I'm going to study fashion design so maybe one day I'll have my own brand.... (ok maybe not, but it's nice to dream)
>>
>>8848620
Ahh, it's cool that you made the pattern yourself! Hey, don't worry about not getting it perfect first time. Professional costume makers might have anywhere up to three fittings to get the shapes perfect, so the fact that your first ever draft only has a few minor issues is a really great start. Yeah, zips are a pain. I haven't done one since fashion school (I'm a costume maker now), so I doubt I could do that much better currently. Keep going, anon, and good luck at fashion school!
>>
>>8848633
Thanks for the encouragement! I expected mistakes being that its my first try, but this is something I know I really want to do so I'll keep practicing as much as I can and learn from it
I'll probably post more of my dresses as I make them, /cgl/ is always of great help!
>>
>>8848555
This is so beautiful! Would it be too much to ask if you could post the full picture of the front separately? You don't have to show your face if youre not comfortable with that
>>
Does anybody know good taobao shops with (preferably cheap-ish) materials and fabrics that would work for lolita? I already know of https://laces.world.taobao.com/, but are there any fabric stores out there?
>>
File: 16-02-06-12-13-39-309_deco.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
16-02-06-12-13-39-309_deco.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2560
>>8837277 here!
I just finished this and I'm really happy with it.
Huge thanks to the anon who suggested the detachable straps, sorry I doubted you! I ended up using taffeta because I couldn't find organza the right color. If I ever do, I'd like to make another set of straps/sash. I was trying to make a bow out of the tafetta but it wasn't cooperating.
I tried to make this as versatile as possible, so I can wear it as a non-lolita sundress in the summer too. And in lolita, I'd like to be able to coordinate it lots of different ways, too.

Concrit is appreciated. I might post this on Lolita Sewing Collective sometime too. With better photos lol
>>
>>8851128
It looks lovely! Good job.

The only suggestion I have is for some sort of trim running down the princess seams since the gingham doesn't match perfectly at the seams. Perhaps a rose or daisy galloon lace.
>>
File: 16-02-06-12-15-46-582_deco.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
16-02-06-12-15-46-582_deco.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>8851128
It was also my first time doing corset lacing on top of shirring and it went okay. I used the ribbon to make loops. One huge issue I had was that I thought it would be fine to not have one right on the top. But without that there, it ended up being floppy and weird. It was too late to add any, so I made some loops out of thread to put the lacing through, but now I know for next time.
>>
murder defense bump
>>
>>8851233
>>8851233

The shirred panel is probably sagging because the elastic is too loose. A funny thing about elastic, I've found that every time I want to use it I have to cut it at least 1-3 inches shorter than I need it, otherwise I run into this same problem of the elasticated pieces being too long/loose as well.

Anyway, this looks great, anon. I'm glad you like the straps idea. I'm really loving how easy it is to switch up and get two different looks out of the dress.
>>
>>8848555
I love this design and would 100% wear it, anon! There are some issues that anon already mentioned like fit and the visible zipper but these are all things you figure out as you get more experience. Did you interface the cutout in the front? If not, that might help it look even cleaner.
>>
>>8851160
Thanks! I considered sandwiching some lace in before sewing the seams, but there wasn't a whole bunch of lace going on otherwise so I skipped it.
>>8853719
Thanks again, anon. I definitely need to redo my pattern. I ended up cinching the motherfucker to like 2 inches when the panel is 10 fully stretched.
>>
>>8855057
the key to bait is subtly.
>>
File: musclemuscle.jpg (105 KB, 629x914) Image search: [Google]
musclemuscle.jpg
105 KB, 629x914
>>8849791
it's really late but here it is! I'm sorry about my edgy looking face; sleep deprivation and sanpaku does things to your looks. But I guess I'd rather have my face in the picture so it can be traced back to me
>>8853734
I looked interference up and holy shit I had no idea that was a thing, so thanks for letting me know!
I don't know how I even managed to finish the dress knowing only the basics. I should've come here while I was still working on it and I regret not thinking of that before
I'll definitely post again once I start my next sewing project
>>
>>8856569
omg anon, you're adorable, and that's a great photo. Your eyes are especially cute.
Could you take some more crit, though? I'm really not a fan of the design. It's definitely awesome construction for your first sewing project, especially those clean shoulder seams, and I'm impressed that you patterned it yourself, but the general concept seems kind of unfinished. It looks like something a gosurori manga character would wear, but not really in a good way. The buttons, sleeves, collar, and the split in the skirt make it seem like it's a jacket, but then it's all just flat in the front and back. I think the design would have heavily benefited from at least pretending to be a jacket, you could have done this by just creating a fake button band on the front.
Another idea for this design would be to fit the sleeves better so they were cinched in at the wrists (the way it is now looks more like jacket sleeves) and make an actual open panel in the skirt instead of just a huge v cut into it. The skirt doesn't have to attach all the way around. You could also have put in a black panel instead of utilizing a black underskirt. And to be honest the buttons are a little too big and they look a bit tacky to me personally. Again, I think a fake button band and some smaller buttons would do a world of difference.
I hope this wasn't too harsh. You seem rally talented and I'd love to see you continue posting as you go through fashion school. Hah, I hope you'll give me concrit when I post too.
>>
>>8856852
It's not too harsh at all! I posted here for a reason; I want to improve. Fashion isn't about sugar coating so I'm not about to break down crying over some honest criticism. I suppose there's always gonna be people who like a design and others who don't, but I really appreciate you explaining why
Thanks for the suggestions/opinions, I'll keep them in mind as I continue to design and sew more things. In all honesty I wanted to just do something simple and relatively easy, so that's probably why it might look unfinished to you
Ah well here's to hoping my second dress will be an improvement!
>>
How much do you spend on Lolita fabric? I found the cutest honey print on Spoonflower but for a decent cotton it's 19/yd which is pretty fucking expensive. I've also found some Japanese quilting cottons for a little less but still around 16/17/ yd Am I being a cheap skate not wanting to spend $60 on fabric?
>>
Hey, lining advice? I'm making a JSK from a cotton sateen, and I would rather not deal with super slippery annoying lining fabric if I can help it. I don't want to use some cheap ass cotton muslin with my nice sateen, though. What's going to give a good drape and feel without being a total bitch to sew?
>>
>>8836776
Fabric looks like a sheet or Joann quilt-wall cotton. Trims look cheap.
>>
>>8857825
'Decent' spoonflower fabric is more expensive than that. And yes, if you are looking for a good finished piece that doesn't look like cheap craft cotton, decent fabric IS more expensive unless you shop around hard, find good sales etc.
>>
>>8857878
The fabric is actually fairly nice IRL. She should've used different trim, thinner straps, and a less boxy bodice.
>>
>>8856569

It doesn't look like lolita however it does look polished and minimalistic but unique
>>
File: hgjk.jpg (145 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
hgjk.jpg
145 KB, 960x960
Thinking about making a high waisted skirt like this. The fabric is just draped and pinned in place so I can get an idea before I actually cut anything out. But you can get a rough idea. It'll also have the same black lace along the hem of the skirt as well.
Think it'll turn out OK? Anything I need to design differently?

>It's my first time making a Lolita garment (finally) so I really don't want to fuck it up right at the beginning and have it end up looking like a hot mess.
>>
>>8841339
Could you ask her if she is willing to share her bonnet making secrets with us?
>>
>>8864410
Tbh this isn't a great fabric choice, although the design is nice.
>>
>>8864434
Did you read that post at all? HIS secrets. Let's not gloss over the fact a man can make beautiful things, too.
>>
>>8860163
>It doesn't look like lolita
stop
drop
google Atelier Boz
>>
>>8857862

You can try looking for polycotton blend, it's a mix of polyester and cotton. So it feels sort of similar to cotton and is fairly easy to sew, but drapes more easily, is less prone to wrinkling. I think some shops do carry it as an alternative lining to the silk lining.
>>
File: peppermint-dick_thumb[1].gif (973 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
peppermint-dick_thumb[1].gif
973 KB, 320x240
>>8826639
>>
>>8864410

>>8864410

Well, since you asked, if this was my skirt, I would:

Skip the lace on top of the waistband, I think it's going to bend over when you wear it, which would be kind of annoying.

Would also skip the lace on the waistline, that looks a bit off to me.

The buttons look a little glaring, I'd switch them to black as well. If you don't have black buttons I'd just skip buttons on the waistband altogether.

As for the print, I think it's okay, not exactly mind-blowingly great, but nothing that'll get anyone posted to the ita thread. I would personally add a wide strip of lace (like 10cm wide venise or cotton lace) to the skirt to further break up the print and give it some contrast, in addition to lace at the hem.

The pleats look uneven as well, but since you said it's all pinned up I'm guessing the pleats aren't properly done yet.

Hope that helps.
>>
>>8864410

May I ask what pattern you used or how you drafted the pattern for the waist? I'm planning a high waisted skirt and was unsure about how to get it structured beyond doing princess seams to help tailor it.
>>
>>8848555
I can't tell from the picture, but it looks like you don't have a button extension so it looks really weird (it's probably just the photo not picking up detail because I can't see your waist seam or bodice seams either). Also I'd say add some lace to the split skirt part because it looks really plain and kinda abrupt, and work on your hemming (I'd also add lace there too). Find a way to jazz it up a little and it'll look good because right now it's looking a little off. Also, starting the split closer to the waist and making the opening a bit more gradual might help.
>>
>>8865562
Thank you! This is just what I wanted!

I was thinking about that too. But when I had it with nothing there, it just looked too plain and unfinished. If you know what I mean? Do you think maybe a smaller lace trim would work to finish it? Or just leave it plain as you originally suggested?

I'll scrap the lace at the waist then!

I'll definitely look at getting some pretty black buttons! But do you think the size of the buttons are ok? Or should I get something smaller?

The right wrong side both have the design, but on one side it's brighter (the skirt) and the other is darker (the centre panel on the waist band) Do you think using the darker side for the whole garment would be better?
Also, will the lace work with the pleating? I feel that it'd definitely improve it if the skirt was gathered but I'm not convinced for the pleats. About how far up/down from the waist band would you suggest? Just in case I'm imagining it wrong.

Yeah the pleats aren't even because I was just pinning the fabric directly to the body as I have cut any of the fabric out yet.So sorry about that haha.

Thank you again! I'm sorry for being a pain and asking all these questions.

>>8865601
At the moment I'm just planning on using the lower part of an existing princess seam bodice pattern as I know I have one that will fit me. Sorry I can't be more help anon.
>>
>>8837778
God bless you anon.
>>
>>8866135
I'd personally prefer smaller buttons on a high waisted skirt, but I think they'll get lost in your print if you do that.

I more or less agree with everything else that the other anon said, though. That fabric is pretty intense regardless of wrong side or right side, so you may want to find some way to break that up with a bit of lace near or on the hem. If you do raise the lace above the hem, you could also consider a "underskirt" style frill done in a solid black material.

As for the lace at the waitband, gathered or pleated, it's a bit odd. I know I've seen a few skirts that did that, but I think they were pretty much all A-line/trapezoidal rather than gathered or pleated rectangles. There's so much bulk on the waist from gathering up all the fabric, adding lace will end up just bulking it more and causing it to sit poorly even after clipping the excess.
>>
>>8848098
You'd have more luck in the TB thread, I think.
>>
File: dress.jpg (342 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
dress.jpg
342 KB, 500x600
I'm thinking of making one of these sack dresses but I can't figure out how they're constructed. Is it two rectangle pieces gathered (and little modified) together with sleeves?

>But anon, those only look good on small chested people
Yea, I am one of those
>>
>>8867832
I'd say closer to two trapezoids gathered at the top
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>8867832
I made >>8823500 and that's exactly how its constructed. To be honest this is the dress that made me realize that sack dresses don't look good on me (thus the belt) Attached is a pic of it without the belt. I borrowed the yoke and sleeves from simplicity 2060.

A few problems I ran into:

I'm usually a more the merrier type when it comes to the fullness of skirts but honestly I over did it on this one. The extra fabric wasn't doing me any favors. I also ended up wishing that I'd cut the fabric as more of a trapezoid style or hidden some darts in the top on the skirt, again, to cut down on the amount of fabric. Definitely interface your yoke, all that fabric is heavy and it'll pull on it weird if you don't. Other than that tho, this dress type is really easy to make as there's not much in the way of fitting.

Good luck :)
>>
Any advice on gathering evenly? Obviously a ruffle foot, but I like to have more control than that. I usually do the long stitch and pull thing, but sometimes it's slightly more gathered in certain areas than others.
I've seen that stitching 2 lines instead of just one might help too.
>>
>>8867896
2 lines instead of one is absolutely the answer especially when you're gathering a lot. It makes sewing it a lot easier too
>>
File: mockup.jpg (177 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
mockup.jpg
177 KB, 960x960
>>8866135

Here's a little photoshop mockup to help you envision things better, particularly the lace on the skirt you were asking about.

If you really aren't feeling the lace, or you can't find the lace, you could try doing three stripes of plain black lines along the bottom of the skirt instead of lace.

re: the lace on top of the waistband, I don't think it needs anything there. If you feel the skirt is a little unfinished, I would personally add more decorations such as pintucks on either side of the buttons, or something else decorative. There's no real reason to stop you from adding some small braid on top, I've rarely seen it add much to a skirt though.

re: black buttons, I wouldn't go bigger, smaller may indeed get lost in the print. Around the same size would be good for being decorative without being too much or too little, I suppose.

re: wrong/right side of fabric, the one center panel is definitely the better side, the swirls don't seem as high contrast as the rest of the skirt, so I'd definitely use that for the rest of the skirt.
>>
>>8856569
I actually think your face helps make the pic. The simplicity is kind of vaguely Adams Family to me and I love it.
>>
File: trapeze-dress.jpg (107 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
trapeze-dress.jpg
107 KB, 800x600
>>8867832

AP's trapeze dresses are always cut curved, never rectangles. You can track the repeat motifs on each dress and watch each line of motifs fall right off the dress. I always thought this was why their trapeze dresses were always all-over prints, while the border prints are always high-waisted, never trapeze dresses.

This might partly explain why >>8867850 isn't flattering, a rectangle cut puts a lot of fabric around the bust area and not enough around the hem. Or she might not have the body for trapeze dresses indeed.

Anyway, definitely not rectangles.

>>8867896

It's tedious, but instead of dividing the skirt and ruffle into only 8 equal parts you may want to further divide them into 16 equal parts. That will give you shorter sections to match up with each section of the ruffle, it'll be easier to judge and manually adjust the fullness of the ruffles within a shorter section.
>>
>>8867846
>>8867850
>>8869862
Thank you, I think I get in now.
Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.