[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2016 Con Scene
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot_2016-01-05-17-01-57-1.png (313 KB, 1080x1346) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-05-17-01-57-1.png
313 KB, 1080x1346
I feel like this is going to be pretty accurate (except maybe not fully opm) what are your opinions? What will the 2016 con scene look like?
>>
File: BB-8 gets all the chicks.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
BB-8 gets all the chicks.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>Star Wars cosplayers

It's true. All of it.

Plenty of Kylo Rens and Reys incoming.

Anovos is also preparing to ship out Stormtrooper armor kits this month to thousands that preordered them. I'm in that group.
>>
You thought Deadpools were bad before
>>
Yep. Tons of OPM, Star Wars, and even more Deadpools. I already saw Undertale and Steven Universe cosplayers last year, but the number will probably keep growing.

I intend to attend a couple as Dragon Ball characters (Jaco, Vegeta, or Krillin, probably), and I'll be a volunteer at least one of those.
>>
New creepers asking for nudes? Story time?
>>
>>8799010
Dude named Richard Bui would have photoshoots for people or mainly girls but with girls, under aged or not, would ask nude photos in a certain, non sexual way because he wanted to know what kind of poses for the person to do, he would show the plain poses for the person to do and said "see, it's all 'medical'"
>>
>>8799064
But it says an apprentice
What's the new dramu, is the actual question
>>
Will OPM be the next Jojo?
>>
>>8798438
Star Wars has become so mainstream. My tumblr feed is full of 'funny jokes xd' from the saga.
>>
>>8799064

Yeah, I'm asking about the apprentice not the Bui.
>>
>>8801180
Star wars was always mainstream.
>>
>>8801180
Mainstream since 1977
>>
Starwars became more mainstream is probably what they mean...
I've never seen so much merchandise for a movie.
>>
>>8799068
There is no one nee
Bui drama was surprisingly fast because he gtfo'd immediately so you couldn't use him like a lol cow like some other personalities that hang around for seemingly forever. He dropped off the face of the earth
>>
>>8801191
>>8801836
No, what I meant is that now EVERYONE IS SUCH A BIG FANNN when they probably will never see the first 3 movies because they are too old for them.
Disney has made it normie-friendly. Even the movie its basic.
>>
>>8799126

I hope so, just so the shitty "can I skip parts??" and "drawn lines on my face look like Araki's style!" fans move to something else.
>>
>>8802485
I think you're right. While it was never like a cult following, it definitely wasn't as popular.
You see it a lot with the younger fans (but no kids) who haven't read any of the books or watched the shows like the kids.
Not that I have a problem with more hype around the series, it'll encourage more content to be made.
What I'm afraid of is people who worship the series as >>8802989
said. They aren't critical of the new movies and think they are the best ever. They hold up the old movies as timeless classics, instead of space western that didn't age well. They know the memes but never actually into Star Wars.
Obviously there is an element of people who come into star wars talking about how they loved it forever, when I got mocked for reading the books throughout school, but still.
>>
Personally, I'm looking forward to laughing at all the bald caps for opm cosplayers.
>>
>>8803005

Remember when nu!Trek came out and everyone became a "huugeee fan" of Star Trek?

It's exactly the same.

Though imo Star Trek was more annoying because the new fans decided to do stuff like make up new names for ships that literally invented the modern form of western gay ships.
>>
>>8803018
I was lucky that I wasn't into Trek.
Had a friend who was pissed because he grew up with that shit.
>>
>>8802989
>Rebooting something is making it popular!!!
>I'm no longer Unique and Quirky for liking something!!!!!
>>
>>8803203
> Reboot something is making it popular with a completely different audience
> thing that used to cater to me now caters to normalfags

Fixed
>>
>>8803217
basically this.

>fucking kay jewelry ads for SW shit
>nerdrage fucking activated at level 9000
>>
Everyone pissed about Star Wars' merch and fans forgets that it solely exists to be a cashcow and make assloads of money and flood pop culture. That was Lucas's #1 goal each time a new batch of films come out and it's no different now

It did in the '70's, did in the '90's/2000's, and it is now. The internet is just making that more visible to you

Cry more
>>
I don't really think the issue is with how many people cosplay from [current popular thing] desu.

It's how many newbies decide on cosplays way outside their skill level. Then shit up groups with "what is this fabric. Where do I buy it. How do I sew it. I can't afford a wig!"

Then afterwards flip their shit about how nobody paid attention to them and how "cosplay is just for fun!!!!!!!1"
>>
>>8803217
this. this is correct.
>>
>>8802995
yes it needs to die or they need they need to read the manga
Most likely the first will happen though
>>
>>8802485
There was WAY more merch for Phantom Menace back when it came out. To the point where I read they actually dialed down the merch/marketing this time around so they didn't oversaturate the market again. It was inescapeable--you had video games, toys, sheets, clothes, fast-food tie-ins, collecter's cups, basically anything you could slap a logo on, but it actually got so big it kind of created a backlash when the movie kind of disappointed everyone. To be fair, the younger half of 4chan might not remember that too well (even if you're 18, you would have been around 2 years old at the time), but it was a HUGE DEAL.

And Star Wars has always been normie mainstream, it just becomes a cult thing between movie releases when the general public loses interest and everyone else retreats into exanded-universe type stuff. If it was a niche thing, it wouldn't be such a big deal whenever a new one came out.
>>
>>8798491
Oh man anon, I'm really jealous. I've been wanting to join 501st for years, and I'm hoping to make that a reality this year.
>>
>>8798438
As an English teacher, I encourage you to work on your presentation.
>>
>>8808573
Heh, I can still vividly remember seeing the huge amount of unsold Jar Jar Binks related merchandise that cluttered up retail stores everywhere. Even after a year the movie premiered, you could still find Jar Jar Binks crap in the bargain bin or clearance aisle.
>>
>>8808573
working at target makes it seem like they didnt dial it down at all lol there's star wars logos on everything, vitamins, yogurt, makeup, you name it. And it's been like that since September...
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.