[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Wearability of J-Fash
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 400x300
So, I'm watching What Not to Wear right now and this girl comes on; she's dressed and styled pretty gyaru-like. I know that anons have talked about the lolita on the show before and they threw out her clothes because they don't fit into Western society's normalfag standards.

I'm mostly into himekaji and more casual j-fash; to me, it's feminine, cute, wearable and practical enough for everyday life. I want to look cute without others thinking I'm weird or in a costume (but more power to you if that doesn't matter to you)! I definitely admire lolitas that pull off everyday looks (like Fanny) even if it's not particularly my style.

So gulls, where do you think the line is drawn between wearable and costume-y? What J-fashions do you think you could wear daily (if any)? Are there some that are more conducive to everyday wear? If you could wave a magic wand and replace your whole wardrobe with J-fash and ONLY J-fash, what kinds would you choose?
>>
>>8782340
>where do you think the line is drawn

Up to each person because people can think for themselves. I guess, unlike you where you need to make a pointless post for sheep needs.
>>
>>8782340

>taking what not to wear seriously

That's your first mistake.
>>
>>8782354
>People should never ask for other opinions and if they do they're sheep

How is this any different from any other thread trying to promote discussions?
>>
>>8782361
Oh, I don't take it seriously; I just put it on in the background since nothing else is on right now. I hate the end result most of the time, the hosts don't like individuality at all. It just got me thinking.
>>
>>8782340
The show is premised around being a fucking normie with no sense of individuality. You are allowed to have quirky things but only if they fit into their little normie framework. Fuck that show
>>
>>8782340
That show infuriates me to no end because 90% of the time an episode goes like this:
>someone's friends or family is unhappy/embarrassed by how a person dresses
>they're forced to throw away clothes they love because "hurr fashion police"
>being bossed around by people with awful fashion taste
>end result is the same every single time

It's just garbage. They usually end up making people look way older than they actually are, and the hosts don't even dress that well. The man wears the same basic "fashionable" thing every damn episode and the woman dresses like someone's single, alcoholic aunt.
>>
>>8782362
Everything
>>
>>8782439
Dude chill, sorry you can't look like a slob at work and/or wear cosplay. You need to grow up if you're referring to people as "normies."
>>
>>8782519
Do you even come here often?
>>
Idk, I think they have a lot of good things to say, especially about how clothes flatter a body. I think (at least for lolita) something that's true that they're always saying, but is difficult to hear is that the cut of something is always more important in making you look good than the print. I think about that when asking myself if I really want a new release, like whether it's going to flatter my shape (which lolita does in most cases, it defines the waist well) or look like an ill-fitting sack.

Most of the people who go on the show too are a tragic mess and need to be helped fashion-wise. Like when people complain about the lolita episode? That girl was ita as fuck and had no sense of style, especially within lolita fashion.

And they do let some people, mostly the younger ones and the "creative professionals" be quirky. They dyed one woman's hair pink once.
>>
>>8782489
This. Every episode is basically bullying and breaking someone's spirit until they change their personal style, since no one is ever on the "offender's" side. Feels almost like they get abused into liking looking like the most vanilla normie. I'm sure most people don't have the willpower to fight friends, family, some professional stylists, and the idea that literally everyone watching thinks they're wrong.
>>
>>8782519
I don't want to wear cosplay to work. No one is arguing that. I just don't believe in shitting all over personal styles like gyaru, lolita, or himekaji. People should wear what they want in their free time and shows like this make people think it's not OK to like fashion unless it's normative.

Also go back to tumblr if 4chan words and culture bother you. I'll go back to saying normalfag, I just got out of the habit because everyone had shortened it
>>
Just wear what you want. The only time this show is helpful is when the person on it is a tragic mess because they don't know how to dress (either because of they don't put in any effort, don't know how so they wear whatever, not confident enough to dress better). They are terrible when it comes to people that actually have specific styles and fashions they are going for.
The hosts idea of "hey we're helping you keep some of your personal style" is by adding some 'funky and fun' necklace and/or bracelet onto a plain outfit.

And the other part of your question, I'd pick lolita, and dolly and mori kei.
>>
>>8782527
Do you?
>>
>>8782519
No one said anything about Cosplay to work. You seriously believe a sane person would do that, you're over reaching. (Excluding those who do work in places that want you to as part of marketing, like costume stores and whatnot)
>>
is everyone still upset about that episode with the shitty lolita girl

she wasn't even wearing anything good if I remember correctly it was just shitty bodyline with no petticoats
>>
>>8782742
Its not whether she dressed well or not, its that stuff that she loved was treated with derision, and she was made fun of. that sucked :<
>>
>>8782743
I can't find the episode on youtube for some reason, I'll try and watch it again
>>
>>8782747
search for
what not to wear lexa
>>
>>8782742
I just watched a few videos on youtube and wow, this is so sad. They just made a mediocre lolita in a more boring mediocre nobody while insulting everything she was. I just wanted to hit them hard, but they are so ugly already they don't need a smack.
>>
>>8782340
What's "normal" and what isn't is pretty arbitrary, and the scope is usally even narrower on shows like that (usually "on trend", neutral colored, doesn't stand out). They're not about making people look good, they're about making them as inconspicuous and normalfag as possible, and shaming people into being "normal" by insulting them and asking random dudes on the street if they'd sleep with them (at least Snog, Marry, Avoid does this).
Shows like that are modern day basically freak shows and solely exist so you can laugh at the weirdos in them, there is no point in taking them seriously. No matter what J-fashion you wear, some people will think you're weird or different, even if it's not always negative.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 500x562) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 500x562
OP here. I'm sorry I even mentioned the show because now everything is crazy derailed. I actually AM interested in discussing what you think is wearable for daily life; what are your personal J-fash limits?

>The line between wearable and costume
For me, I think shironuri, visual kei, and some lolita would be too much for daily wear. In the case of lolita, if someone is carrying a scepter, wearing a giant wig, wearing a sash (like those ones AP makes), or certain large headpieces that sends it over the edge to OTT/costume territory for me. Sweet is the hardest to pull off casually. More power to those that do wear these things on a daily basis, though!

>J-fash that lends itself to everyday wear
I think that mori girl, larme, nanchatte, and certain gyaru substyles are the easiest to wear casually and blend more into the crowd. They're definitely still different but that's because they're more feminine and sometimes cute meanwhile western aesthetics can range from sexy with crop tops and tight dresses to frumpy bag lady in oversized sweaters and ponchos.

>Wave a magic wand and replace your wardrobe
I would do it, but it would be a little difficult to get used to at first. I would want mostly himekaji and romagyaru clothing as well as a little bit of classic and sweet lolita. For professional wear, I would have a lot of cute office-appropriate blouses but the bottoms would be a but of a struggle since a lot of J-fash bottoms are very short.
>>
>>8782769
What did you search to find her episode?
>>
>>8782827
>>8782752
>>
>>8782829
I'm an idiot lol thank you
>>
I'd wear Jane Marple-esque otome/classic daily if I could. I work in an office, so my everyday style is classic but still modern, french and vintage inspired in a way that I don't stand out like a sore thumb but still get compliments on my style being individual. For me, the quality of a garment plays a lot of role in how wearable for everyday it is, for example when I was into himekaji in college I couldn't stand how low quality my Liz Lisa stuff was for the price, I had lots of tops and skirts in a kind of flimsy fleece material that felt so costumey... I sold it all off and now I only buy clothes of high quality. It's the best fashion decision I've ever made, to buy fewer clothes, but the ones I do buy will look great and last a long time. I've been a bit disappointed with many lolita brands, the only brands I've owned with really great quality to me is Victorian Maiden and Mary Magdalene.

tl;dr, to me quality is the most important factor in wearability and whether something will look like a costume
>>
>>8782803
Gyaru (Liz Lisa) or otome (etc) is what I usually intersperse with my more normalfag working wardrobe. The blouses and dresses (not the short skirts of course) work fine. I just pair them with more normal looking heels.
I have a large lolita wardrobe and occasionally I will sneak in a lolita skirt with a simple lace top.

If I could change my wardrobe now I would like more rich colors instead of pastels, and i would like me some meta!~
>>
This kind of show just wants people to dress for work, that's how it is supposed to be. Most of the people in the show are overly badly dressed and really need help, they're mostly stuck in their "I DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT ME. but i cry every night until i fall asleep" attitude for when they were 13 years old, almost everyone got such times, but some people won't grow up even if they're fucking 40 years old.

It's great to have a basic understanding of how to dress up, how to match clothes and accessories for certain occasions and such.

Also

>the line between wearable and costume

Depending on the occasion, your age and your body. If you're a healthy 40 years old woman with an awesome body you can surely wear rokku gyaru to go to a disco or a casual party, the mall...
but don't expect to wear rokku gyaru if you're too fat or look like a crack whore -anyone can stop looking like a crack whore with some makeup and a wig desu-

Shironuri it's obviously a costume, really pretty, great for costume parties, visual kei seems okay for some rock concerts and the sort and i think a toned down lolita coord would look great to go to a museum, the opera, a theater and such.

Mostly what you said but of course, it dependson where are you going. But i don't think nachatte would be appropriated to go anywhere out of a convention unless you have a baby face, because it's a school uniform, people will notice that and will think it's just weird to look at you wearing a uniform as casual clothes -particularly i think nachatte is a madness since i always wore a school uniform-

Romagyaru, also mori and gurokawaii [spoiler] guroka-?-[/spoiler]
>>
>>8782340
>muh society
Cmon even the Japanese look down upon it
You don't really think people wear Lolita and gyaru to work do you?
>>
>>8782896
No, obviously not. Nothing was said
about wearing it to work, even though that's a part of the question I guess. There's 'wearing lolita to work' threads all the time though, so some anons must do it.
>>
>>8782489
That's the point. They wear the same basic fashionable thing because the points of the show is to get their victims to dress fashionable but 'safe' for the purpose of finding a job/partner/what have you. It's inoffensive and moderately pleasant looking as opposed to tailored to each and every person on the show, since they can't get to know you in the span of 40 minutes.
>>
>>8782843
This, all of this.
I love lolita as much as the next girl but there's a time and place for everything. Even if you don't care about normie fashion it's stupid to think you can get away with wearing jfash 24/7. At some point in your life there's gonna be a situation that calls for a suit or smart casual, unless you're 'eternally 14' or an artist in which case go wild.

The funniest thing is how people like this act when someone has a problem with their clothes or appearance. Wear horn implants and orange hair all you want but don't pretend you didn't expect that someone's gonna think you're a wankstain.
>>
>>8782896
>>8782899
Why do people think it's so strange to wear lolita to work? It's like people forgot that toned-down stuff exists. It's all about non-print IW dresses, man.
>>
>>8782896
Not everyone works in retail or strict corporate offices, you know.

I'm in gamedev and in both studios I've worked at nobody ever cared how I dress. Not even when I wore AP's prints, to my honest surprise.
>>
File: 6113-ha0xg912hc.jpg (52 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
6113-ha0xg912hc.jpg
52 KB, 600x450
>>8782340
>where do you think the line is drawn between wearable and costume-y?
My main style is visual kei, so for daily wear, I skip out on things like "spooky" contact lenses, too big of hair, overly costumey outfits (big feathery stuff, blood splatters, etc...) and go more for a look like the pic I attached here. I'll wear costumey visual |stuff to cons and similar events.
>What J-fashions do you think you could wear daily (if any)?
I like to keep things on the more dark and androgynous side of j-fashion, so toned down dark visual kei styles and dark mori are for me. It's easy to look pretty cool within those styles, but without standing out enough to get more attention than I want in public. I don't mind attention in a group setting like a lolita meetup, but when I'm out by myself, I prefer to be more lowkey.
>Are there some that are more conducive to everyday wear?
If you don't really care about attention and standing out much, then I guess it doesn't really matter. I think it's harder to tone down cutesy pastel styles (fairy kei, sweet lolita, etc...) or styles that require clothes that are unusually formal for daily wear (gothic lolita, aristocrat, etc...).
>If you could wave a magic wand and replace your whole wardrobe with J-fash and ONLY J-fash, what kinds would you choose?
Honestly, just visual kei. I really only wear lolita socially. I've tried other j-fashions and determined I like them on other people better than on myself.
>>
File: trinny and susannah.jpg (26 KB, 621x414) Image search: [Google]
trinny and susannah.jpg
26 KB, 621x414
This show is better, the hosts actually listens to the person and tries to find a more 'normal' version of their style, rather than just putting them in random normie fashion.

There is also that other show with the robot, which actually said to some mori people that they were dressed okay because it was their own style and they were happy with it. I don't totally remember so I might be wrong though.
>>
>The line between wearable and costume
I think things that this is different for each person and their surroundings. You might be able to wear something in a big city like it's no big deal but have people in a smaller town think you're wearing a costume.
For myself, I don't like anything that alters my basic appearance beyond what I could do fairly normally at a salon. Wearing full-face makeup (like shironuri), masks, circle lenses, and giant wigs makes me feel costumey, so I don't do it.
Another thing that bothers me are props. Scepters, big wings, wands, etc. seem very costumey to me, as do overly themed outfits (nurse, full military, witch, etc.). However, besides way OTT stuff, I don't really care and am basically a live and let live type.
Larme, otome, mori girl, and some gyaru seem really adaptable for everyday life, besides maybe the office.
I think everyday lolita is totally doable as well, though it being "too fancy" for everyday stuff could be an issue. Culture also factors in here, though. For example, In the US (college town in midwest), people ask me why I'm "so dressed up" when I'm just wearing a cute normalfag dress and heels, whereas when I was in Japan, that level was just expected. People seemed far more put together, if not as cute, when I visited northern Europe as well.

I'd love a wardrobe full of otome staples, sweet lolita, and maybe some more mori.
Those are my three main styles, and I'm working on my wardrobe, but it's taking forever to pad it all out.
>>
>>8782843
>This kind of show just wants people to dress for work, that's how it is supposed to be.

The problem is that the show doesn't just revamp people's work wardrobes and style. It expects them to dress like that all the time, outside of work, even if they're not in a social situation where normal style would be beneficial (networking, etc). So it's not "hey, you can dress like (goth/alternative/boho/etc) but remember to wear it on your own time," it's "oh gawd honey no you should never wear this ever."
>>
>>8783087
Ugh I hate them with a passion. They have a version of their show here and hosted a "nerd special" with this guy who liked manga. So they just tore up his manga. Right in front of him.
He also takes them to a comic store and tells them that he's a cosplayer and puts on a terrible wig.

The whole episode is pretty cringe for both sides.
>>
>>8782901
I get them doing that if it's for work but I've seen a lot of episodes where someone's personal style is completely compromised just because their friends/family didn't like how they dressed. There's a difference between helping someone find a good professional wardrobe and just throwing away any sense of their individuality.

One episode that made me the most upset was one with a girl who had a slightly lazy, but otherwise very unique and interesting style. She had this awesome shawl that I'm pretty sure was one of a kind and super expensive. It had this big embroidered tiger on the back. The hosts picked it up and the girl explained how much she loved it, how it was so special to her. They just stared at her, then each other, proclaimed "it's ugly" and chucked it in the garbage. It was one of the nicer things she owned, too. That honestly broke my heart.
>>
>>8782803
You brought it on yourself.
>>
>>8782896
>even the Japanese look down upon it
Because you know all about a community you're not a part of, don't live in, and never will?
>>
>>8782831
I have the opposite experience as I used to buy a lot of Jane Marple but have been disappointed, the price is so high but the quality is mediocre. Now I'm into liz lisa and franche lippee and the quality is not great but at least it's cheap.
>>
You do know that people sign up for these shows, right? They aren't just ransoms pulled off the street, some of you sound like the kids getting upset about it on livejournal
>>
>>8783425
Different anon, but having lived in Japan for an extended amount of time, I can tell you other anon is correct. The Japanese are a very homogenous culture and very conservative. Otaku, Lolita and all that other stuff is very frowned upon.

>>8783548
Also, some of the peoples' "personal styles" on this show are disgusting and ugly.
>>
>>8783548
>You do know that people sign up for these shows, right?

You do know that what they're told when they sign up, and what they're told will happen during the production process, isn't always what happens to them, right? "Reality" shows like this trick people all the time. (For a more recent example, that 'Collection Intervention' show on SyFy told people it was a show highlighting people who had big collections, not mentioning that the goal of the show was to make people sell a bunch of stuff or frame them as being out of control. The host pressuring them to sell happened during filming, which is why everyone was really resistant to it. Yet the show edited it to make it look like they were just being stubborn and rude, not people who were suddenly realizing they had been duped.)

Take Lexa aka lolita girl. They didn't pack her clothes up very well and most of her pieces ended up being moisture damaged (mold, mold, mold) by the time it got to the studio. For the show, you're supposed to be able to have the final say on whether or not something leaves your wardrobe--but because they fucked up her clothes, she lost almost everything. So not only did they end up ruining her clothes with no compensation, she had to try on some of the lesser damaged, but still moldly, clothes for the show. She was naturally pissy during the filming process, and naturally they didn't include the context (we ruined her clothes and removed her ability to keep anything) for the final product.
>>
>>8782563
It's indeed very hypocrite.
We suddenly find clothes perfectly fine, just because someone was on What Not To Wear.
While everyone else on 4chan would have ritual burned those illfitting replicas, (they were all replica) the moment they had the change.
Fuck, do the people who complain about the shows "bullying" even look in the ita thread. We're no different, just anonymous.
>>
>>8783574
I'd believe it for the first couple of seasons, but who hasn't watched this show? Like. How do you not know what you're getting into.
>>
>>8783581
the difference is, these people actually ruined her clothes. /cgl/ couldn't even if we wanted to (and come fucking on, not everyone is an absolute cunt here as you're trying to paint us). her clothes were ruined, with no reimbursement of any kind other than some cheap ass normie clothes she didn't even like.

yes, replicas are not good and not legal, but have some fucking respect for someone who lost their entire wardrobe because someone got rubbed the wrong way by her dresses and called this self-declared fashion police
>>
>>8783587
Of course we can't ruin clothes. We are behind screen (imagine all the drama if anti-replica chans could burst through the screen).We also don't sign contract in which is stated that others are allowed and going to ruin clothes, in comparison to everone who participated on the show and knows this before hand.

And I never said everybody (although everybody on here, is tolerating it, which says something for itself), just everybody who participate in this kind of discussions.
>>
>>8783557
No, you don't actually know
>>
>>8783611
yes, but people on the show are usually allowed to keep their shit if they want it, or at least some of it. they ruined her clothes through neglect. she could not keep anything even if she wanted to.
>>
>>8783611
>although everybody on here, is tolerating it, which says something for itself
don't presume to know what threads people read, what they report, and what they respond to or defend.
>>
>>8783087
I just remember the robot show calling everyone a slapper.
>>
>>8783621
>>8783574
Well, either they lied on the show for a shock effect. And give her a opportunity before the filming to save something.
Or she got told before and fucking agreed to it by signing the contract. Which is most likely the case.

It's America, if they did follow the contract, they would have been sued for millions by participants. Everybody knows that.
>>
>>8783585
Lies, lies, and more lies. They have to get sneakier to get to their victim. You'll notice in some episodes they don't have the intended victim show their own closet, it'll just be footage of them with friends and junk - this is because they've been told their friend or family member is being filmed for tv, until the reveal.
>>
>>8783630
Like people don't know what the ita and bad cosplay/makeup threads are about. If you find the behaviour of WNTW shameless, you would speak out in those threads aswell (and I'm not seeing that in current threads). Reporting has no use, (unless it really violates 4chan's rules, which those threads don't) so spreaking up everytime that you're on cgl is your only choice. Otherwise you're tolerating it, just like the rest of us.

>>8783645
*didn't follow.
>>
>>8783425
Looking "appropriate" is pretty much the expectation there
>>
Anybody have links to episodes of these shows specifically staring weebs/nerds? I'm fascinated in watching how the hosts react to them and manage to shove them into normie boxes.
>>
>>8783587
As if her wardrobe of a few Bodyline pieces and some Hot Topic junk were worth anywhere near a $5000 adult professional wardrobe.
Whatever you're probably gonna call me a lemming or something for believing that people who dress like slobs should get makeovers
>>
>>8783655
Yeah, reality tv is hella sneaky with how they film stuff now. Claiming to be a different show all the way up to you signing the release form, claiming to have a different premise than they do, swearing they're going to put a different spin on it (not to defend that horrid woman but Amy from the infamous Kitchen Nightmares episode was told they were going to show how lovely and professional her shop was), or flat out making shit up in editing by cutting random clips filmed days apart together.

As an aside a friend of mine got into the preliminaries for a season of Next Top Model and says there's a solid 1-3 days of filming they carve down into "day one" as theres actually a lot more girls initially than it shows. They weed out the girls who aren't easy to rile up for drama or that don't have enough over the top personality for the show and then edit them out of all the preceding filming. They basically let the girls mingle for a night and then started separating off girls that were questionable and feeding them 'rumors' to see what their reactions were. She played it too cool, and got kicked.
>>
>>8783725
I'm not surprised. A lot of these kind of shows feed off on drama and rumors, so when someone shows that they are going to take it smoothly, they get booted out. I've noticed that most shows keep one of these types in to make the audiences sympathize for them and the amount of crazy in their environment.

And it's true, they don't really tell you as clearly anymore about what they're going to film about. It depends on the production company and how the contacts are worded. Anything now also can be promoted as a "documentary special" only to end up being on a Strange Addiction/Kitchen Nightmares/[insert hot mess of a show here].
>>
File: 1373962930120.jpg (32 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1373962930120.jpg
32 KB, 300x400
>>8783709
She had a lot of pieces from In the Starlight and other decent indie brands that were too destroyed to use, and some which they left out of the show. They also spent most of the show telling her that lolita fashion was sexual and that she was wearing it for sexual reasons, no ifs ands or buts.. Her is her "grand reveal" outfit which is totally not crappy looking amirite.
>>
File: beryl.png (897 KB, 696x703) Image search: [Google]
beryl.png
897 KB, 696x703
>>8782901
I've seen one episode where they let the chick still dress "oddly" because she was an artist. They let her keep her pink hair and gave her this disco dress which I thought was cool
>>
>>8782496
Uh no, this is a discussion board and people discuss opinions here all the time?
>>
>>8783746
This is fucking sad. And that outfit looks wretched, and this is coming from someone who still enjoys some western fashion every now and then. But holy shit she looks a mess and those clothes look like they're from a fucking yard sale.
This show is a joke like most reality tv shows.

Was this the girl who was ita before hand?
I find it annoying that these so called fashion experts don't know anything about fashions from other countries - isn't France still #1 in the fashion world? I bet they take zero influence from that as well, it's fucking obvious in what I've seen this shit show turn out so far.
This show is for fucking fat cow wives who lay on a couch munching while watching back to back reality tv shows. (I used to live with people who did this, fuck all of those people)

>>8783769
Oh so you can be quirky if you're an artist? But if you're just some normalfag with an every day desk job, you better not dress crazy in your off time with the money you worked for.
I've never actually sat down to watch this show but fuck all of those people on it.

Isn't this on TLC? What a fucking joke of a channel.
>>
>>8783814
Are you ok anon? You sound like you need a hug.
>>
>>8783818
Haha, I'm fine. I just loathe reality tv with a passion because I've seen so many people just zone out in front of it and take it to heart and some of them won't believe it's not real...

I used to really like the entertainment industry but this is all that's left apparently.
>>
>>8783746
I feel so bad for her. Yeah, I get it if you can't wear lolita to the office and you need a proper wardrobe, but this is appalling.

I used to like WNTW when I was really young and was trying to learn about fashion. Shortly after, I realized how everyone came out like carbon copies of each other as if they raided a Kohls. Some of the outfits are in the right direction, but they significantly age people and don't fit to the current styles and demographics. Them bashing on lolita as a sexual kink is mostly for TV ratings, this is TLC we're talking about. They likely knew a smidge of what it was and clung onto the lolita connotation to make ratings.

For a specific show, I was asked to describe what lolita was. The producer kept asking me if lolita was in any way sexualized, and how it was related to living dolls. She kept coming back to the question of what sexual connotations did it have, and if Japanese lolitas were into kinks and daddy issues. It was personally appalling that she sounded like she had done absolutely no research whatsoever. Needless to say, even with the resources I told them to check out, the final product of the show wasn't pleasant.
>>
>>8782901
>thinking stacy and clinton spend only 40 minutes with the person and that the show isn't filmed over a length of time

what
>>
>>8783863
Cable ratings don't work that way, least not like they would with networks and how you're thinking.
They make money off of adverts mostly, and then syndication comes into play. That's why OP had it on in the background, because it's always fucking on and some service provider is like yeah, PUT THAT SHIT ON ALL DAY ITS RAKING IN THE DOUGH. Only it's making money off the ads they show and not the people watching it. They don't care if people are watching or not.

It's similar to network Nielsen ratings and all that, but not really and it's very separate. The thing is you pay for cable shows like this (or rather someone in your house does) so they're getting money whether you watch it or not. Like it doesn't even have to be on, you're still paying for the service and in turn they profit no matter what's showing.
>>
>>8783879
They probably do spend more than 40 minutes with them, but the filming itself can't possibly last longer than three days for the cheap amount of shit they do.
The long time of filming is different episodes and not only that, but they usually do it all at once, which means this girl sat with other girls (and guys? do they even make over guys?) and they were all humiliated at once, probably not all episodes in a season, but probably like two or three different episodes worth of people, all being dressed and their wardrobes being disposed of or whatever sillyness they do.

Most reality shows are this way, it's why they're cheap and make tons of profit. They have little work to do.
>>
>>8783883

Man, thank fuck I don't have cable and I listen to youtube playthroughs instead when I need white noise.

Although I have to admit, I'm really partial to naked and afraid whenever I come home to parents' house. It's the shit. I could, and have watched, marathons of that.
>>
>>8782439
>>8782367
I can think of one time they allowed someone to keep her wardrobe, she dressed in a rocker chick fashion with lots of black and band shirts and piercings and whatnot. But she worked at a tattoo parlor so the hosts recognized that her wardrobe was important for her work, it was part of her profession's presentation. They said she could keep her stuff but she needed to get normie clothes for other occasions. It was an ok compromise and one they should have done more often.
>>
>>8783746

I regret mentioning this show in the OP so so much, I didn't intend for this to turn into a What Not To Wear thread. I seriously had it on in the background while I was playing style savvy since it was fitting. I give 0 fucks about it, but it made me think about daily wardrobes and the plausibility of wearing strictly J-fash in western society.

I kind of wish everyone would just let this one die and in a few weeks maybe another one (that isn't DOA) would get a better turnout.
>>
>>8783903
Oops, meant to tag >>8783691
>>
>>8783903

Seems like every time this show is brought up, it turns into a frothy rage fest over how shitty reality and TLC shows in particular are.

There are some other anons who replied, but I'm going to echo them and say it depends on the lifestyle you lead and the work you go into. Obviously, jobs where appearance matters less will have more leeway for more alternative fashions like lolita etc. I don't have the fortune of working in an environment - my field's a little infamous for being conservative and frowning upon anything morally or legally gray. I have to be careful what I wear to work.

I kind of chuckle when people say otome kei is totes work safe and they wear their wrapping present ETC print to work. Yeah, uh, good on you being able to wear that to work. Between me looking on average fourteen years old and that print, I would never hear the end of "omg you look sooooo young" and I would never be taken seriously again.

The most I've done is wear Axes and Liz lisa items to work. They have enough cute details to work as a nice addition to an otherwise plain outfit, but not so much that people are left gawking at an over frilly person. I'd also love to get more IW OPs that are very plain but have subtle detailing that set them apart from your average dress. I'm still debating if the Mulberry Chronicles mushroom dress is work-able. Maybe I can get opinions here.

Again, it really depends on the environment. Obviously, more lax environments will care less, but more conservative work environments tend to be stricter. In their free time, it honestly is more dependent on the person's comfort level. Being one of the few Asians in my small town and potentially running into my clients though? Nah. I really only dress up in lolita outside of town now.
>>
>>8783746
ITS is crap. Maybe it was ok-ish 10 years ago when it was mostly impossible to buy from overseas, but come on, cheap broadcloth and eyelet lace?
She looks better and more appropriate in those clothes than what she was filmed wearing before being on the show
>>
>>8783921
Thanks for responding, anon. It's at the point where I feel awful having killed a thread for this shitfest.

It definitely depends on the field, I agree. I work from home, so I wear pajamas all day. But someday I'll inevitably have a job where I can't telecommute and I'd like some input on professional but cute officewear; I agree with what you said, himekaji blouses definitely work in an office environment and it could be paired with a normalfag skirt, even if that's not ideal.

I feel like since I spend a lot of my free time looking at J-fash my perception of 'normal' is skewed a bit, and whereas I don't flinch when I see sailor collars, huge bows, or gingham print I wonder if that's because I'm desensitized a little bit. I know not a lot of people care what others think, but I'd like to blend in while still retaining the cute aesthetic, both at work and when out and about.
>>
File: sundayaug22009001.jpg (157 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
sundayaug22009001.jpg
157 KB, 768x1024
>>8783935
ITS had a lot of decent pieces. Her wardrobe before wasn't great, wasn't horrid. Basically a beginner's lolita with a lot of Bodyline when it was just starting to come out with stuff that wasn't monstrous and indie brand.

"More appropriate"? She's wearing frumpy clothes that aren't flattering her body at all, and look like something a soccer mom might wear.
>>
>>8783211
Jesus, I had to see that video for myself. In what world is destroying another person's belongings upon meeting them for the first time okay?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcpEiuDdHMs
>>
>>8782489
>clothes they love
90% of the time the people who are on there look like utter shit and dress like hobos, and not the hipster or mori kind.

Most of them are definitely not clothes they actually love, but just shit they wear everyday because they have no style/too cheap/too poor/don't take care of their personal appearance
>>
>>8783921
This.

Sure you might work in an industry where you can technically wear lolita to work, but that doesn't mean appearances don't matter. I used to work in a tech company that didn't have a dress code, but the guys who were getting promoted were the ones who were wearing the jazzed up version of the hoodie and jeans uniform, not the guys who actually wore whatever they wanted (unless the boss was on the same level of don't give a fuck-ness). Perceptions still matter and unfortunately, competence is still associated with looking mature unless you're a wiz kid whose work speaks for itself (which is rare so no, you're probably not on that level). In the end, it helps to dress a little more mature and put together if you eventually want to end up in a leadership role.

And no, your boss isn't likely going to call you into the office over wearing a Leur Getter print unless it's totally inappropriate, but it doesn't mean it doesn't effect their perception of you and your competence in the long run. Some bosses are cool, but is taking the chance worth it?
>>
>>8783921
>>8783981
all of this....also there are jobs for which safety factors prevent wearing jfash. i could need to go into the lab at any point in my day to do some chemical work. this means close toed flat shoes, long pants, hair back, and nothing dangly (scarves, jewelry,etc). also the chance of ripping or staining something super expensive while moving samples around or climbing around in the storage warehouse keeps me solidly in a nice jeans, hiking boots, and dressed up tee/sweater/blazer combo. even though i do a ton of desk work, any day could be a lab/warehouse/hauling shit around day.
>>
>>8782489
I think the number one thing you guys are forgetting about this show is the people on it have to *agree* to be on it. No one forces them, they ask them to come on and give them $5000 to spend on clothes in return. It's not like they steal their fucking wardrobe, plus I'd be willing to bet a majority of people's wardrobes aren't even worth that much.

My biggest problem with the show is it seems like they send them to same few expensive, but basic stores.
>>
>>8783903
There is no such thing as keeping a thread on topic on 4chan, don't worry.
Look at the B/S/T thread. It even gets it's shit wrecked pretty often.
>>
>>8784002
>expensive, but basic stores.
This makes me rage so hard. I think people agree to be on the show because they hear $5000 and think it's a lot of money to spend on clothes. But then you see how much they spend vs what they actually get and it's not that much so they've ended up with only a few mediocre outfits.
>>
>>8784016
>profiting off of ripping people off
pretty much the american way - but this used to be a British show as well? Was it this bad over there? It had to be somewhat different because I'm sure they dress different.
>>
>>8782340
Everyone on that show asked to be on and signed away everything the show wanted to do, so she has only herself to blame.
>>
>>8783948
Better coord than the haters of lifestyle lolita ITT could do I bet. I like to wear lolita casually. I can't wear it to work because it isn't a neutral suit, but if I had a normal job I would
>>
>>8783587
Did they really though? There's a good possibility it might all be staged, since they just chuck it into the bin. Fairly sure they get their shit clothes back at some point, besides they don't buy any of them an all new wardrobe despite what they might say, just a few pieces.

I think people are forgetting that reality shows don't necessarily reflect reality.
>>
>>8784025
People nowadays don't dress that different because most of us get our fashion inspiration from the same source and fast fashion stores dictate the same trends in both Europe and the US. Sure we might wear some things a bit differently out of habit/social pressure, but at the core of it the average Joe and Jane dress terrible no matter where you live.
>>
>>8784080
She got her clothes back but they had water damage and had begun to mold. She posted about the show on egl a year or so after it aired.
>>
>>8783948
Holy shit she looks so much better in this than that PTA mom monstrosity they put her in. She looks so misreable in >>8783746
That outfit they picked for her looks so unflattering and bland. Even for normie wear, it's horrific. Another thing that irks me is it looks like they gave her a weave? She looked perfectly fine with her natural hair. There are ways to update your wordrobe to be classical and western friendly, while being flattering to your bodytype but holy shit do these people even understand fashion? They have to be blind if they think that looks remotely good.
>>
>>8783963
Is this video for real? That's absolutely horrible. Just teach him how to dress and act maturely but why rip up his manga? It's not her posession in the first place, and she just destroys it. This makes me so mad.
>>
>>8784025
As far as I know, the show started with the one in the UK, and the one in the US is a rip off of the UK one. They do this with a lot of brit shows.
>>
>>8784028
THIS. Also, when they offer you that credit card with $$ for a whole new wardrobe? They've had people turn them down before. WNTW aired a bloopers show a couple years ago and they showed footage of them being turned down. So if anyone still goes through with it after that I don't have a lot of sympathy.
>>
>>8783655
How much of an enormous cunt does someone even have to be to trick their friend or family member into going on this show? If you hate their personal style so much you want to see them get humiliated on national tv, maybe just stop associating with them or something. This riles me up so much. If a 'friend' of mine tried to pull this shit I'd cut them out of my life immediately.
>>
>>8783981
My boss is a goth chick. I think I'll be fine.
>>
>>8784143
But things can change anytime. Your boss might quit and the strict bitch from the other department might become your manager.
>>
>>8784160
Fortunately that's not how things work at my job. I'm a grad student* at a research lab and I'm employed by Cool Boss specifically, neither of us can just quit and be replaced. I won't lie and say that nobody judges each other on appearance in the science world, but there definitely is a greater emphasis on competence and creativity than at your average office job. One of the most successful postdocs in our lab wears really clashy Hawaii and anime shirts every day and nobody cares because it doesn't affect his ability to do research at all. Same with Goth Boss and my lacey skirts.
Naturally all of us will tone it down for conferences and shit, though.

*which is a paid position for 4+ years where I'm at, not sure about other places
>>
>>8782896
>inferring everyone has a strict dress code at work
I can wear lolita every day. There's plenty of professional looking lolita coords you can do.
>>
>>8784132
If/when they do complain, it's their fault for not reading contract over completely. Not understanding what's written is no excuse either, if you don't understand it then you probably have no business signing it or at least have your own lawyer to help you understand it.
>>
>>8783746
Wtf, did they even try to get her decent clothes? This looks like the leftover stock from bargain bins. You can tell that she isn't happy with what she is wearing. What is the point of this show if the person isn't happy with the "fashion transformation"? Just proves that the T.V ratings are more important.
>>
Hmmm...
I'd say Nanchatte, at least the non-seifuku style. Toned-down Seifuku(Darker colours) is ok for casual, but not for work.

But then again, I live in a country with no school uniforms, so it won't stand out that badly.
>>
>>8783948
I think the biggest difference is not the clothes, but her attitude. She didn't look great in her outfits, but she looked happy, and just seemed miserable after they threw out all the things she liked and gave her the new outfit. It was really depressing.

Imo, you can wear whatever you want in your free time, as long as you're covered and not going to work, a wedding or a funeral, it doesn't matter. I come from a very conservative town, where even wearing tights that aren't black or a bright colored coat gets you quite a few looks, you can't win over everyone.
>>
>>8784086
She had a shit wardrobe and was ita as fuck, like the vast majority of people who went on there. I'm hard spent trying to think of anyone who dressed decently/well in the style they went for and didn't dress inappropriately for work/other occasions and I watched a lot of that shit. The best I can think of is the Scene/Goth chick who got a black bob with a bit of blue underneath where it was undercut and OP(for what she was going for, though the makeup was pretty bad and she couldn't/didn't dress appropriately for work)
>>
It's a sad day when you look better in ita than the garbage "fashion experts" put you into.
>>
>>8784016
hangon, $5000 dollars for normie clothes or just "here have 5k make sure you spend it on clothes"? Cause I would definitely sign up for that If I could spend it on anything.
>hide clothes
>fill wardrobe with assortment of random thrift store junk
>keep crap lolita clothes that I wouldn't mind losing for the gimmic factor
>get on the show
>get horrible makeover
>have all the clothes I don't care about thrown out
>get 5K
>Buy mo' brand.

But some how I doubt this is how it works. Drat.
>>
>>8783691
I don't know about the other anons here but what the Ita threads, to me anyways and apparently to many others, are about are the clothes and not about the people. Most of the time we don't even care/ notice who the people behind the hideous outfits are unless they have bad attitudes or are genuine arseholes. You know that if someone is posted to an ita thread, then comes on and politely asks what was wrong with their outfit they will get a civil response and some constructive criticism right?

I honestly feel like your grasping at straws if you think that:

>Girls having a laugh at some clothes, not giving a shit about the person, moving on after a minute or two and giving constructive criticism when asked.

Is on par with

>singling out a person, humiliating them on tv, investigating into their private life, entering their personal spaces, making jokes at their expense to their face, playing 'psychologist' and throwing away things that they potentially have deep emotional connection to, love for, or large financial investment in.

Also as an aside>>8783630
All these anti-replica chans don't need to burst through a screen, because they take up space in reality.
>>
>>8790686
Yeah, not how it works. You have $5000 to spend in high end shops where a pair of jeans sets you back $150 if they're on sale.
>>
>>8790733
Damn, well I at least could probably find something loliable or moderately otome.. I'd hope.
>>
>>8783948
borderline ita, but still better than >>8783746. i honestly didn't think it was possible to fuck up something that basic, but the silhouette is so fucking wrong... she looks like some homeless girl in hand-me-down ready to sing in the subway for small change.
>>
>>8783937
I def understand the skewed perspective. Most of my normal clothes are super plain and frumpy to me, but nobody else seems to think there's anything wrong with them. When I wear Liz Lisa, even if it's just a top and normal shorts, people come up to me to say they love how girly I look. It's super weird, things like a row of lace and some pearl buttons look like basic details but clearly normies don't share this opinion.
I get worried sometimes because I work from home too, and that, combined with the 'weirdly frilly baby clothes' I so enjoy wearing, has made my family convinced that I need a social life. Sadly, they ignore the fact that I already have a social life, and their approach to making me 'happy' is the TLC one.
On the plus side, if you stick firmly to floaty himekaji tops with pencil skirts, you'll be able to fit in in an office environment with no problem. Q-pot or Axes Femme style jewellery would make it look better without being too out of place, and you could probably get away with wearing a plainer brand coat. Korean-inspired makeup and toned down nail art should be fine too. Liz Lisa-style furry boots in winter and low solid heels for the rest of the year wouldn't stand out all that much.
I swear offices look like a post-What Not To Wear dumping ground. Mid-length limp bobs, cheap polyester clothes that don't quite fit right, and long nails painted in one of three colours are the unofficial uniform. You'll stand out anyway, being new, so if you're stared at it probably won't just be because you're wearing weird clothes, but it's hard not to crack under pressure when everyone else is so damn bland.
Sorry for the blog post, I just got back to working from home after temping at a friend of the family's office and it was one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had.
>>
>>8784136
Agreed... Even if my style was absolute shit, what kind of friend would want to put me on a TV show to be made fun of and laughed at by everyone watching? That's just cruel.
>>
>>8790686
>>8790733
I've heard of people that take the money and buy the normie clothes, then go back and return everything for cash. So you could still potentially get $5000 of lolita out of this.
>>
>>8784333
The after outfit hardly matched at all either. So where I do think expression played a role, the clothes were also just bad.
>>
>>8783574
She knew what she was going into she was like on the 9th season and had a reaction when she saw stacy and clinton.
>>
I don't know why people are jumping to conclusions that this show is the root of all evil while stating they've never even seen it. Most of the people featured on there NEEDED help. The show isn't just about just wearing clothes for fun. The people are nominated by their friends and family for reasons like they have low self esteem and needed a makeover to like reset their life or are like so poorly dressed they are unable to function in life (get a job/get a relationship/etc). If you can't separate when it is ok to wear lolita and when it's not you probably shouldn't be wearing it in the first place. Plus the conditions of the show they always state is that they have the right to throw away your closet if they deem it ugly so you know what your in for.

During the show, the person being makeovered is the one doing the shopping along with a stylist. Stacy and clinton don't actually shop with them most the time or have any final say in what the person buys. The participant doesn't even have to use all of the money if they don't want to, but are strongly encouraged to spend most of it (minus leaving enough to pay taxes later). People usually turn out dressed better and have a better understanding of their own style after the show.
If the contestant comes out looking like shit that could be their own fault not just their stylist because only they have final say in the items they buy.
There is an AMA from past participants.

>>8790733
Also you don't have to use money at high end shops, but people usually get some stuff from high end and that is the clips they show for TV, because watching people shop at H&M for hours is boring.
>>
>>8790733
Man, I wish I had $5k to spend into high fashion atm, cause I know places where I could build a wardrobe for that price. Also $150 for some good denim isn't far fetched at all, they're a basic.
>>
>>8792439
>Stacy and clinton don't actually shop with them most the time or have any final say in what the person buys.
Actually that's not true. I watched the show a lot and Stacy and Clinton would pop into the shop if they caught the person buying things that they didn't approve of. One woman was trying to buy the same style of clothing that they threw out in her wardrobe and they made her return all the clothing the next day to the shop and went back with her again to basically coax her into buying what they thought looked better.

Some of the time they'll outright tell the people "You go buy clothes but you CANNOT buy this color, this style, etc." like one woman wasn't allowed to buy jeans at all because that's all she owned and they wanted her to be more feminine.

That's what bugged me the most about the show. Some people did dress terrible for their body shape or depended heavily on tshirts/jeans but instead of like.. getting them dressier jeans and showing them they could wear blouses and nice shoes to make jeans look classier, they tried to shove the person into skirts and dresses.
Another girl was very selfconcious about showing off her body so instead of giving her modest clothing that would make her look nice.. they made her keep trying on shorter skirts and form-fitting dresses even after she was almost in tears because she felt so uncomfortable.
>>
>>8792661
>Stacy and Clinton would pop into the shop if they caught the person buying things that they didn't approve of.
That is very obviously staged, anon...
>>
>>8792669
They're watching the people on a monitor nearby to see what they buy. They could show up any time they wanted.
>>
>>8792661
I'm anon you replied to. Stacy and Clinton don't actually help that much. There is a lot of shopping that happens off screen with just the participants and the stylist. Like I said there is an AMA out there u can read about the show.
>>
>>8792689
Do you really think they're spending a few hours watching them like that? They set up the in-store camera. They have the contestant deviate. They plunge in. I'm not saying the contestant doesn't have an organic moment of wanting something similar to their old style, but Stacy and Clinton are only there for a fraction of the shopping.
>>
>>8782940
>Reading other posts about lolita at work
>But I do that all the time and no one cares?
>"It's all about non-print IW dresses, man."
>Oh, right, that's what I've been doing, that's why.
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.