[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Christmas /cgl/ gifts & feels thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
Getting anything /cgl/-related for Christmas, seagulls?

Also, general feels thread.
>>
not quite christmas but I ordered my first dress and it should arrive next month, in time for my birthday.

I got some loose leaf tea for christmas which I guess is kinda lolita, but I have no way of making it other than just putting the tea into the mug, and I can't stand the feeling of that in my tea so 10/10 planning there
I guess at least the tin looks pretty nice, and it's quite large (it's in a plastic bag inside the tin, would /cgl/ keep it inside the plastic or pour it out into the tin? I'm quite new to tea stuff, sorry for the derailment)
>>
>Birthday is on December 24th
>Friends are all obviously busy with holiday ongoings
>Family is always super stressed out every year, arguments and multiple fights breaking out is very normal. Younger family members resent the added stress of having to do birthday meal/presents on top of holiday crap.
>Literally hate birthday attention at this point, wish everyone would ignore or forget that it's happening.
>Somehow everyone is out of the house right now at church or with friends. Which means I have a few hours of quiet to work on cosplays and chill by myself.
>Feels good, man.
>>
>put together amazon list of cute shit I want
>cheap cosplay pettis, rilakkuma shit, korean skincare, cute asian make-up, cute homeware, even a cosplay or two, a couple of wigs are on there too
>family refuse to buy me any of it, preferring to get me stuff frankly I just don't need or want
I'm grateful for what they do get me and the thought that goes into it, but it's sad when you say "I would really like this" and the reaction is "no, it's too weird/childish, it's not happening" when I think things like make-up and skin care and cute lunchboxes are nice fairly normal gifts...maybe I'm a weird spoilt brat piece of shit. However I have my /cgl/ SS on the way and a recent aliexpress order on the way.
>>
>>8780738
Sorry your birthdays go the way they do but hey, at least you have some peace and quiet for now. Take the time to enjoy yourself. Happy birthday, anon!
>>
File: hyperion-sponsored-leggings.jpg (24 KB, 415x415) Image search: [Google]
hyperion-sponsored-leggings.jpg
24 KB, 415x415
> tfw your boyfriend finally manages to surprise you with a gift and tells you he appreciates the effort into your itabag/ita fit
I wish I was going to Ikkicon now that I have leggings to go with my warmer top
>>
>>8780744
I don't think wanting those things instead of whatever gifts they give you is being a spoilt brat. I think it's strange they just won't get you what you've clearly told them you want, especially cosmetics or skin care items.
>>
>>8780738
Happy Birthday anon, my birthday is the 26th, I know how you feel
>>
I never tell my family or husband the lolita/weeb shit I want because I don't want to make them deal with these weird subcultures they know nothing about but my husband imported me some weeb shit with my husbando(s) on them for my birthday this week. The guy went above and beyond and I'm excited to see what he got me for christmas now.
I wish more of my family were nerds though. It's gotten to the point where all my friends are nerds obsessed with certain things so I got used to that and have no idea what to get people who are just normal, you know? I tried at least.
At least my husband was easy because he like Star Wars and various Nintendo series.
>>
>>8780744
Just wondering, is your family the type that orders a lot of stuff online? Because having to order stuff on ebay etc. might be the issue.
>>
>>8780777
>>8780738
Mine is on the 28th, and I know those feels.
I do wish I could have a real birthday party or something for once, though.
Even just having a lolita friend to go out to tea with on my birthday would be nice.
>>
I'm so pissed. I ordered my niece a Sailor Moon blue ray set and I only found out today that Amazon cancelled the order without telling me. So they gave me a $5 credit and now my niece's gift is gonna be super late. Sorry kiddo.
>>
>>8780797
They don't, but this year literally everything was on amazon which my dad has been using since it became a thing, so that wasn't the issue.

>>8780806
You should feel like shit. Fuck you. I hope your Christmas is crap.
>>
File: large[1].jpg (90 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
large[1].jpg
90 KB, 500x347
>not going home for christmas
>no one coming to visit
>bought 2k worth of burando for myself
>spent 1k on presents for friends
>no presents from anyone
everyone was super grateful but i don't think anyone realizes how sad i am...everyone is busy trying to make things nice and happy for everyone but me
>>
File: 900151dt01-bi-2.820.jpg (196 KB, 840x650) Image search: [Google]
900151dt01-bi-2.820.jpg
196 KB, 840x650
>>8780519
Typically you should be using a tea steeper/infuser if you don't want to drink it loose in the cup. David's Tea is a good starting point for that sort of equipment.

>pic related, their 18. oz steeper that is good for steeping a cup at a time.
>https://www.davidstea.com/ca_en/18oz-steeper
>>
So this year can be struck into memory as the year I was 100% shure my family does not want me.
>I have a cold, going over mothers for holiday shit, she is picking me up today.
>txt and call this morning 7am, I'm going to need to stop and get some stuff on the way
>no reply, no call back
>txt her at 230, going home early
>crickets
>txt and call at 3, OK what is the plan?
>crickets
>she finally calls me at 4 "when are you going to be ready?" And fucking grills me about how long have I been sick ectect,
> well you need to stay away from me I'm getting my hip replaced on the 10th.
>OK whatever make sure you wash your hands, its a cold? I will be ready in 20 min I took a nap when you never got back to me.
>she agrees to come then
>calls me at 5.20"are you ready yet?!?!"
>yes I have been you said you would be hear a while ago,
>what's wrong? You sound upset.
>whatever when will you be hear
>remember we need to keep you 'contained'
?;?!If you don't fucking want me at Christmas fucking say so, pick up your fucking gifts and get the fuck out, I will stay with my cats.

Cosplay related: my boyfriend got me a dreasform and I fucking love it.
>>
>>8780834
>>8780529

Also I initially misunderstood your question.
If the tin doesn't have some kind of airtight seal, keep it in the bag so it stays fresh.
>>
File: 1399425214784.jpg (55 KB, 461x523) Image search: [Google]
1399425214784.jpg
55 KB, 461x523
>>8780519
I'm not sure if this is cgl related entirely but I got a cintiq 13HD from my dad and I cried when I opened it.
I'm extremely happy
>>
>>8780898
I'm so jelly. Spread the joy by drawing the in the draw threads, don't bother waiting until you feel "good enough" just don't sign anything or put a name to it if you don't like it.
>>
>>8780529
You can use coffee filters and dental floss to make your own tea bags. You can also just put the tea directly in your mug and wait for it to all sink to the bottom, cowboy style.
>>
>>8780801
This happened to me too with a gift for my best friend I ordered from amazon and they didn't even bother notifying me. I feel so bad, it was half of her gift.
>>
>>8780834
>>8780836
thanks for the recommendation, I'm an eurofag tho so I'll just look for something similar + similarly sized. the tin feels quite solid and airtight so I guess I'll just keep it in the plastic until I actually open it and then just keep it in the tin.

>>8780921
that sounds ghetto as fuck (in a kinda cool way), I'll prob do it when I get desperate enough. mentioned the latter option in my post, really don't want to do that since I'm particular as fuck about textures and stuff. thanks tho.
>>
File: 1440627242054.jpg (86 KB, 540x513) Image search: [Google]
1440627242054.jpg
86 KB, 540x513
>>8780801
Aw, that's a cute present though and I'm sure she will love that!

I ordered a mechanical gaming keyboard for my boyfriend only to find out it's completely nonfunctional. Luckily I found another one for a good price but it won't be here in time. However in retrospect I'm more pissed that the seller purposefully didn't mention/photo the damage. A full day ago they said they would send a full refund "immediately" but there's been nothing yet. I'll wait until after Christmas to be angry.
>>
I got myself lolita stuff for Christmas because I know my parents and fiancé wouldn't bother with brand sites. Totally okay with that, though. I think my fiancé got me an instant camera (perfect for snapping cute memento pics at cons or meetups) and I'm pretty sure I'm getting more Too Faced palettes and a lens for my phone camera from my parents. So. Pumped.
>>
>>8780942
>>8780921
you can also just buy empty teabags that are fillable.
>>
I don't even know why I'm frustrated again that my bf isn't able to make me a present I like.
Every damn birthday and christmas I tell him "nothing videogame related" and every fucking time it's something videogame related. Most of the time something I'm not even into that much. Boy I know that I like videogames and you love them too, but please can't you just one time get me something that is out of your own comfort zone?

>Inb4 just tell him what you want then
I guess I will next time but I'm afraid it will be even more frustrating if he messes Lolita stuff up.
>>
>>8780800
Why don't you celebrate your birthday in January? Second weekend in January, people are not in holyday madness anymore and have time. I understand if someone wants to celebrate it on the actual day, but I often don't have time and the last two times I even celebrated my birthday 2 months later. It was still a nice day for me.
>>
>>8780744
You don't sound spoiled to me at all. It would be one thing if your Christmas list was all unnecessary childish stuff, but homeware and beauty products make perfect sense to just about anyone. Maybe in the future, you can put just the things that would appeal to normalfags so your family doesn't see wigs and Rilakkuma and think the whole list is stuff like that? They really are being stupid by spending money on things you don't even want.
>>
I'm Jewish so I volunteered to work tonight and tomorrow to make up for missing some work for a con earlier this month. I already opened all my presents since they were for chanukah. My bf got me a swankiss LP (which will be coming next month, cant wait!) and an Ulta gift card which I used to get some BB cream and a beauty blender. My parents got me a bath and body works gift card and my mom paid for all my stuff when we went thrifting together. I'm getting paid tomorrow so I'll be ordering myself a dress from WW and probably some skin care stuff.

I wanted to make resin charms for my friends but I'm not going to see of them anytime soon, and idk if I'm good enough yet. I bought a dreidel shaped mold though so I'm sure my parents will love that even if its late or poorly done lol
>>
>>8780829
Have you tried telling your friends that, anon? People won't know how you feel unless you tell them. Don't ask for presents because that's tacky, but maybe make post-Christmas lunch plans or organize a tea party. One of the shitty parts of being an adult is realizing people can't read your mind and won't go out of the way for you, if you want something organized you need to do it yourself. They didn't avoid you, they just didn't know you wanted to make plans.
>>
I hate Christmas. I hate the music, I hate the decorations and I hate the gifts most of all.
Probably because when we were young, everything was always so unfair. Our two cousins would get mountains of presents, fairly expensive too. One time my youngest cousin got an xbox and I got like a book and some crayons
I know it's partly my fault too because I never know what I want, but it still sucks
I've learned to not expect much, and try to be as happy as I can with what I get because I feel like a spoiled brat otherwise
However this year really hit me hard. I got my sister worth of maybe $70 and she got me some clay and chocolate milk in a bottle
My mom got me a pair of pajama shorts like the fourth year in a row (I already have too many so I try to tell her I don't want any) and some other stuff that I wasn't really that fond of
But whatever right? It's Christmas I don't care it's just a bonus
But when my sister opened a package wth a t-shirt, with marvel characters as cats, I just got so fucking sad
I know for a fact that she doesn't watch any marvel movies, and they happen to be my favorites in the whole world
I explained things to her and kindly asked if she maybe wanted to trade with something I got, and my mom got super mad (she was okay with us trading like 5 minutes earlier when my sister wanted a pair of socks I got) and yelled at me
I understand how ungrateful I sound but like it's not really that she got the shirt, it was just that when it finally was something that I legitimately wanted and loved, it was my sister who got it.
Things probably hadn't been so bad if I didn't already hate Christmas so much but yeah

On a note more board related, I actually made a wish list on Aliexpress and my mom helped my grandmother order a few things she thought I'd like from there
They printed a picture with the things they ordered and it kinda made my Christmas a bit happy for once
I'm getting a pair of super cute shoes and a Levi figma and some other cute stuff
>>
>>8781044
How old is your sister that she got you clay and chocolate milk of all things?
>>
>>8780744
Honestly, don't bother asking for cosplay related things like pettis, wigs, etc. if you know your family are super normalfag. Just mix in the korean skincare and cosmetics stuff with regular shit you know your family will buy you and then you are guarenteed those as a treat. You understand your family best and you know how they react every year to seeing cosplay or anime stuff on the list so learn to stop including it and just ask for things you honestly need like daily wear, shoes, or books, movies, etc.
>>
>>8781053
14. It was fimo clay, and I did actually want that's, since I had run out of that color, but the chocolate milk...
>>
>>8780829
Let people know anon, I mean even if it's a long commute people will want to hang out with ya.
I added two hours to my 3 hour drive home to hang out with a friend.
>>
I'm staying home since I'm exhausted from working back to back days for the past 2 or 3 weeks. And after Christmas, I'm working back to back again. My hours for the past 3 weeks have been 8 AM to 6 PM, Monday through Saturday, and then after this weekend, I'm back to the same ol' grind until February.
No one got me anything so I bought myself brand as a treat to myself. I told my boyfriend about all of the crap I bought and he got mad at me. Oh well, I'm fucking tired from work and we haven't seen each other very much for the past month anyway.
>>
>>8781067
Maybe the chocolate milk was a joke? I mean sometimes my siblings give me candy, one time I jokingly got a bottle of A1 steaksauce in my stocking.

But as for your mom, start writing a list and just send it to her. Honestly though, I can't really comprehend only getting one gift for Christmas. It's not like I get a lot, maybe a few shirts, new shoes, a book or three max and every few years it rotates which kid gets a "big gift." Like, last year it was my brother so my parents pooled in to give him money for vacation, the year before that I got a 3DS, etc.
But we always write a list so our parents know what we want or need.
>>
>>8781091
No no, I didn't get just one gift, sorry I didn't mention it
I got three dresses (you could tell by the material that they were super cheap though, like chiffon and wrinkles all over the place) and three pairs of socks
The thing is, I didn't come up with the Aliexpress list until like a week back, and my mom bought gifts when she was in London like three months ago, so I didn't really have a chance to tell her
The problem with my mom is that she buys things she thinks are pretty, not things she thinks I would like.
Also, we don't really get that many presents, since my mom is alone and she doesn't really earn a lot.
Speaking of getting a 3ds, my little sister got a da lite for Christmas present like 7 years ago or something. The problem is that I had bought one with my own money the same year. Like I had saved up for years for something I wanted. And she got one as a gift. Along with a bunch of other stuff too
Also, even if the chocolate milk was a joke it wasn't really something I could appreciate since she didn't get me much else
>>
>>8780529
Reading this thread makes me feel so lucky. When I was younger i got wallscrolls, jpop CDs, premade cosplays...as long as I could give my parents a link they were game. My dad was really into eBay back then so that's probably part of it. These days they dont ask what I want till the last minute and I feel bad sending them a list without them asking (I'm waiting for the year when they decide I'm too old for gifts lol) so I jsut tell them small things they can buy in store or gift cards or something. But yeah, I can't wait till we're all grown up and can buy our children what they really want without being afraid of internet shopping or cutesy shit. Be the change you wish to see in the holidays gulls.
>>
>Dad calls me
>We don't talk much but he gets in contact from time to time, like maybe once in four months?
>"Hi anon, by the way I bought you a car for christmas!"
>I can't drive
>wouldn't it make more sense to buy driving lessons?

I have a little car my mum passed down to me when she got her new one already, it sits on the drive. I'm really not ungrateful for it and didn't argue about it, thanked him, told him it was really sweet, but really? A new car when I can't even drive yet? Why not use the money for lessons? I feel like an ungrateful piece of shit about it, but I just don't need a car right now. At least it would come in useful later?
>>
>>8781099
It sounds like they spoil your sister, I'm sorry anon. I had a friend who was in a similar situation. She had to work to buy her own shit, meanwhile they spoiled the shit out of her younger brother. They made her work if she wanted to buy things yet the brother would ask for x video game or y consol when it came out and they would just get it for him. I thought it was very shitty of them. Have you brought it up with your parents? You sound understandably upset, and I would be to.
>>
My parents are super normalfag. Anything remotely anime or manga related, I was not allowed to ask for. They would react very similar to >>8780744, except I know not to ask for any of that if I actually want to get anything. Up until college they just kind of bought me whatever in the clothing department because I would mostly ask for nerdy stuff that I knew I would not get. Now I make a detailed list of mostly clothes I want or need, with links to what the item is. My parents have gotten to the point where I am now allowed to ask for a book or two because I can use the excuse of being into illustration (which I am). I've asked for the Tangled artbook for a few years in a row though now, and they've refused to get it for me on the principal that it's a cartoon.

This was also annoying growing up because I liked more boyish things, like Star Wars or Pokemon, and my mom in particular was so anal about her daughters being feminine. It caused a lot of arguements and actually made me confused about my gender identity for a while because there was such a strict line in my house about GIRLS LIKE THIS and BOYS LIKE THAT. When I finally moved out was when i realized what trollop the whole thing was because suddenly I had all these cute girly friends who grew up playing Final Fantasy or liking "boy things" and their parents regularly allowed them to do so.
I make it a habit that if I ask for enough girly shit on my xmas list I might get a video game as a treat. One year it worked and I got Pokemon so we'll see this year.

Sorry, not meant to be a rant but I've noticed a trend in these threads with obnoxious normalfag parents trying to stamp the nerd out of their daughters.
>>
File: tumblr_lxhmfmfL0n1r3ro6ho4_250.gif (494 KB, 245x217) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lxhmfmfL0n1r3ro6ho4_250.gif
494 KB, 245x217
>Spend months curating a perfect list of gifts for bf
>Ask for his input, we make amazon wishlists for ourselves to give each other in order to make sure we both get stuff we want
>Find him perfect gifts, almost all useful things and others just fun, but all things he adores
>Spent over $700 on it all
>We exchange gifts, he loves everything I got for him of course
>Open my presents from him
>Only one thing from my wishlist or that I specified I wanted
>Half the stuff he got is very... not me
>I feel awful that he wasted money on it
>We've been dating for more than 3 years and he still doesn't understand what I like and don't like even after I specify.

I truly feel bad that he wasted money on the stuff that he bought me that I don't like. I love giving gifts and I'm so happy he loved everything to bits that I got him but it also sucks a little that I didn't get the same amount of effort put back into me.
>>
>>8781125
My boyfriend and I have agreed no big presents this Christmas. Just little silly things like candy.

I got a bug bag of gummi candies and one of the brooches I make and sell for him.
If he bought me something proper I'll be PISSED and feel so bad. Bleh.

His birthday gift (16th January) is going to be amazing, though.
>>
File: 1436292927967.png (122 KB, 398x309) Image search: [Google]
1436292927967.png
122 KB, 398x309
>23rd
>police raid a couple of houses down the street with dogs and everything
>24th
>pretty good day
>got about $1500 worth of burando
>it's getting late, guests went home
>loud party at the same house down the street
>in the middle of the night
>hear a girl scream
>screaming is very loud
>hear a guy yell "you're a whore and deserve to die"
>more screaming but girl is also yelling words so hopefully she's not dead.

This was maybe an hour ago. There's only like 4 houses on this street in the middle of nowhere. I can't even call the police because there is this "we leave you alone if you leave us alone"-thing going on. It's pretty safe to say I'm not getting any sleep before it gets light outside. I'm so scared that some poor girl will be knocking on our door and I will have to ignore her to not get myself or my family in trouble.
>>
File: 1435596855206.png (17 KB, 328x215) Image search: [Google]
1435596855206.png
17 KB, 328x215
>>8781112
Pretty much. I've tried talking to my mom about it, and she agrees that the thing with the ds was a bit bad, but otherwise she claims everything is super fair.
I buy all my clothes and shoes for my own money (even if I have very very little, only money I get is if I wish for it on christmas and birthdays), and she gets everything she points on.
Ever since she was born she has always been the one that it's fun to buy gifts to and spoil.
Oh well, I guess that's kinda how it is with siblings.
Thanks for listening to my rant and feeling with me anon, made me feel a bit better <3
>>
>>8780519
I just snagged a first release AP dream star bag in gold... I am so excited. I've never seen one on lacemarket before. And it's new with tags. Ahhhh.
>>
>>8781153
Hey, we all have to let it out sometimes. Especially during Christmas. It sucks getting the raw end of the deal with presents, anyone would be rightfully bitter about it.
>>
File: 1395455092798.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1395455092798.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>Kizumonogatari coming to the US now
>mfw got to work out making a cosplay to wear to it now
WHO THE FUCK DO I CHOOSE
>>
>>8780519
All I want for Christmas is someone cute.

I don't think I'm going to get her this year though, because all cosplayers are lesbians.
>>
>>8781159
Oh man. Thank you for posting this. I just now found out about that. Please be shown over here.
>>
File: 1431035643584.jpg (44 KB, 380x401) Image search: [Google]
1431035643584.jpg
44 KB, 380x401
I need to dump some Christmas feels gulls don't mind me.

>Family is an absolute wreck
>I was always the weird one because I didn't smoke pot in the garage with my mom and older sister
>I liked to read and watch anime and basically all the other weeaboo cringe shit growing up
>my father wasn't a good person and died when I was in fourth grade
>don't talk to his side of the family they are all druggies and rednecks
>mom's family lives up north and doesn't associate with us because my mom is the trashy black sheep of the family
>it's just my mom my sister and me and we never got along
>they don't like the Holidays that much
>for some reason I absolutely adore christmas I try so hard every year to bring us together
>it never worked out always end up disappointed
>one year my mom got dumped on Christmas eve and was on suicide watch over Christmas
>one year I got in trouble at school for some minor teenage stuff and my mom canceled Christmas all together
>about two years ago I cut all ties with my family
>living a much better life with my boyfriend and our cats
>my stupid brain can't help but spoil it all by reminding me of my mom and sister
>wonder if they even put up the tree this year
>wonder if the miss me
>know they dont

It's a heavy feeling knowing your mom doesn't love you. At least I can drown my sorrows in frilly dresses?
>>
File: jake_hug.gif (497 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
jake_hug.gif
497 KB, 500x281
>>8781201
I'm glad you got out of there anon. I can't imagine how that feels to still have them on your mind this time of year. I hope it gets easier as time passes
>>
>>8781201
I feel you, anon. Sometimes family are the ones you choose, and you tried so hard, but now all of that is being rewarded! You are happy and there are cats and at least one person who loves you dearly.
>>
>definitely getting a few anime figures, one of them is the artfx-j ciel that came out in march and i had to prioritize bills and rent before a figure
>i know one other gift is a serger since i saw the receipt for it
>not bad this year at all
>>
>boyfriend bought me the new G&LB
>I'll see him tomorrow and know he'll love his gift
>also my Meta order came in the mail (my post office is the best!)
>then a dream dress comes up
>decide to buy it

Merry Christmas!!
>>
>report thirst thread
>it's instantly deleted

merry christmas, janitor/mod-chan
>>
>one gift christmas eve
>get robotic Haro from gundam 00
>cry because my family listened to me
>>
>>8781201
>It's a heavy feeling knowing your mom doesn't love you. At least I can drown my sorrows in frilly dresses?
mine is possessive and i fear her turning up at a meet someday. 10 years since i left and i am still afraid.

i am spending christmas with my adoptive family. it feels so strange and undeserved. focus your love on the people (and cats) with you and do not spare a thought for those who can't help but hurt you.
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 704x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 704x960
>mfw ive felt dead inside every christmas for the last 5 years
Last year my ex told me to kill myself Christmas Eve and then she broke up with me on New Years and as much as I like to say I'm over it I really just cant stop thinking about it. I also feel absolutely terrible because I'm so horribly depressed I haven't felt genuine excitement for things and I know I'm gonna have to fake it all morning when my mom gives us presents. I feel so bad, she tries so hard and gets me really nice stuff but opening presents just makes me wanna cry because I'm worried people know that I'm not as excited as they are.
>>
I'm at my insane grandparents' place and my grandma just lectured me on 'spending too much time on facebook'. I know my presents will be a let-down - I actually tried this year to list things that I'd like for my father but he basically brushed everything off saying 'I don't know anything about these things' and my grandma didn't ask so I know it'll be something like bedsheets again. She's now trying to convince me again how much I need to learn Russian (she's not even Russian jesus fuck). She's practically a minor scale book hoarder and every once in a while she sends a load of them to me that I have nothing to do with (last time's highlights: 'learn to read faster' and 'different animals' written in grammatically wrong English). I'm sorry for non cgl but I don't really have anyone else to share this with, all of my friends brush it off saying 'why do you care' or 'you should be happy you get presents' but it's kinda sad realising the last really cool gift I got was in 2008 and my friends get their 3DS's and laptops and phones while I buy them myself
>>
File: 716BkCS-JVL._SY355_.jpg (17 KB, 354x355) Image search: [Google]
716BkCS-JVL._SY355_.jpg
17 KB, 354x355
For years I wished someone gifted me something lolita-related and last year I got a horrible ita-monstrosity from my mom-in-law which they paid a lot for. I try to wish for things that are easy to get since then. Like my mum got my a dressform this year and my bf pic related.
Bf's parents are still up. My bf said they got me something I'll like 100% and I'm really nervous. But I know it's no clothing so at least no more lace-monsters.
On another note, my dear boyfriend will try to get me Chocolate Rosette tomorrow as a 'christmas present'. Like, managing to get it will be the present, I'll have to pay it myself.
>>
>>8781411
Oh, anon. I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry that this time of the year brings back such painful memories for you. I really hope it goes by as quickly as possible so you don't have to think about it anymore. Your mom sounds really great. Maybe you should try talking to her about it? Maybe suggest doing a non conventional Christmas, just to keep your mind off of things in the future. Please take care of yourself.
>>
>>8781132
Good morning anon! Did anyone die?
>>
I read through the thread guys. I am truly sorry to you guys who have crummy Christmases. That's some fucked up shit.

I'm really happy for the people who are having good ones! I am happy that my parents supported me and my interests growing up. I have always been really nerdy, and they've been really kind about getting me things they know I want and will use. So I am very thankful for that.

There are a lot lf things I'm stressing and worried about, but I don't want to dwell on them. I want to wish all of you Merry Christmas, even though I know many of you are struggling. I'm very proud of you for getting through this tough time. Love for you all.
>>
File: 1445137051427.png (1 MB, 1280x1326) Image search: [Google]
1445137051427.png
1 MB, 1280x1326
I'm really grateful my family is supportive of my weeb hobbies and frequently shop online.

>all these anons with shit gifts and/or families
I'm so sorry guys. Love you gulls, I hope you guys have a good new year at least.
>>
>>8781079
I feel you. I just got a job and have been working 10-7 sometimes until 8 mon-sat and it's so exhausting.

I was dragged to some Christmas party by my family with a bunch of people I don't know. It sucked a lot but I got a nice necklace at least.
My boyfriend got me embroidery pocket for Christmas and I'm really happy he went through the trouble of dealing with LM etc. I really appreciated it
I feel bad because I wasn't able to get anyone anything on time. I'm going to get my bf, mom and sister some late gifts I guess. I just got paid yesterday so hopefully they don't mind it's late.
>>
Wow.. I did not realize how lucky I was to have a family that likes my j-fashion style.

I hope you guys who didn't have such a good Christmas find happiness in the new year, ok? And everyone else too.

I'm not going to post what I got because I don't want to brag or anything.
>>
>>8781108
Then go get driving lessons?
Unless you're underaged as he'll idk why you're so mad about getting a new car.
Like why wouldn't you have learned to drive already if you had a car already available to you. Stop being a brat Jesus
>>
I'm about to sound really greedy. I'm so jealous. I'm so jealous of everyone right now that has a christmas tree with presents under it and family. I'm spending this stupid holiday alone in my dorm because my mother could care less about me. I'm so angry and jealous and upset. I'm sorry, I needed to get that off of my chest.
>tfw not grateful for anything
I know I'm a sack of shit
>>
>>8781455
woah, things went better than expected -even grandma contained herself after insisting she is gluten intolerant. my gifts were ok but kinda aimed at me a few years ago, but I'm ok with that. I even got some pretty nice natural makeup, tho I'm not sure whether the colours fit me that well.

I hope y'all have your holidays go better than expected, like mine did. <3
>>
I didn't even get a single present for Christmas this year so far. While I understand no one has any money and even said it's ok if I don't get anything, I never thought it'd be so...empty? feeling. I usually get a nightgown or candy.

>Atelier Boz jacket on my ouji dream list (in ladys size for once) listed last week, asked my mother if I could use some of my paycheck to buy it. "No we have no money for bills".

Well surely it'll be listed again one day, at least my paycheck I got this week is mine and mine alone.
>>
6 years later.

/cgl/ is still as crazy as ever.
>>
>>8781411
Anon I feel you so badly
I dont think its christmast itself that I hate, it's just the feeling of knowing how much I loved it and now I don't feel anything.
I went into my room and cried in bed for an hour after opening my gifts, and then I had too selfharm to be able to cope at all
The rest of the day I spent with my family, smiling and laughing, while all I could think about was going home and hanging myself in the closet
>>
>>8781594
>tfw not grateful for anything
Don't worry anon, I know that feel
It sucks because even if I don't have anything to be grateful for, I feel like shit for not being grateful
>>
>>8781091
>Maybe the chocolate milk was a joke?
Joke gifts are the fucking worst.
>This year
>Broke up with long term girlfriend at the beginning of the month
>Was an open secret that we had been talking about marriage earlier the year
>Sister gets me a "Grow a Girlfriend" gag gift
>Get's shitty with me when I don't find it funny
>>
My mom went out of her way to find me a set of jewelry that actually goes with classic lolita, and she didn't do too badly. It's yellow and green though and I have nothing that matches it, but semantics. I can probably find something to wear it with.
>>
>>8781638
I think joke gifts can be pretty fun.
My good friend did the Terry's Chocolate Orange swap gag on his younger sister (we're all about the same age) as well as got her an Umaru cape/blanket thing and a bottle of Coke.
It's only when you use the joke gift excuse as a reason to be a dick or not get real gifts that it's not cool.

I'm very lucky that I was able to spend Christmas with my good friends and their parents. My family is poor and rather spread out, so it's hard for us to get together. Friends' family was incredibly nice and got me several small gifts.
I also splurged and bought myself some secondhand brand for cheap and some stuff from taobao (super cheap, less than $100 for three dresses and some accessories). I figured it's Christmas and my birthday soon, so whatever.
>>
>>8781604
Are you not over 18 or..? Tell your mom to fuck off and let you handle your own finances.
>>
>>8781588
You are aware that in some countries lessons can add up into hundreds of dollars? Not everywhere is as cheap as America. I had to pay the equivalent of $1,200 in total for my license.
>>
Geez, reading some of the stuff here makes me feel like such a spoiled brat. The only thing I have to gripe about is the stress of all the different families that overlap their gatherings and I have to deal with the fallout. That's nothing compared to spending Christmas alone, or worse - with family you dislike, so godspeed you weeaboo bastards. Sending my love.

Every year I have to endure 6 different Christmases - Dad's, biological mother's, step-dad's, girlfriend's family, adopted family, and the one I throw in early January for my closest friends. Thanks to the sheer number of Christmases I go to, I get at least something that I really want. I feel like I've lucked out because any gifts that I don't want, at least 1 person going to the party I throw in January will want it, and thus I hardly have to spend money on gifts for friends.

Do any of you guys have to deal with religious family members viewing your frilly and/or weeby hobbies as evil or morally corrupt? I have some pretty interesting stories, if anyone wants to hear.
>>
My family just gave me $$$ for lolita since they can't navigate/speak moonrunes. My boyfriend tried getting me a dress in a AP blood bath, but now wants me to pick a dress/other stuff to buy, so I'll probably try to get some accessories. Hope you all have a good Christmas!
>>
>get slim pants and a pair of boots for christmas that I can use for both cosplay and everyday wear
>pants fit well and look decent
>boots also look good but are a tad long
>looks kinda awkward (to me) wearing them together because of boot length
also
>get thermal underwear for cosplay and house wear
>put it on
>wow that dick hole area sure is noticeable
>starting to have second thoughts
>keep trying to tell myself "It'll be okay as long as I'm having fun in my costume..."
>>
>>8781594
being uncared for doesn't make you a sack of shit. i am lucky to have been taken in to a new family as an adult, but despite being grateful, it does sting a bit when i am left out of various holiday interactions with their extended families.

humans do not cope well with solitude, we are social animals. being reminded of the different ways we are rejected is one of the worst pains possible.
>>
>>8781685
Why the fuck would you not ask your parents or friends to teach you?
>>
>>8781688
tell stories please
>>
>>8781714
Most countries legally require lessons; you can't just take a test.
>>
>>8781714
Because I live in a big city where everybody takes public transportation and having a car/renting parking space is expensive and unnecessary, only person I know who even has a license is my mom and she lives hours away. To teach another person to drive privately both the teacher and the student needs to take a course, which you have to pay for and which expires within two years. Why don't you realize every place is not like 'murrica, we don't rely on cars where I live.
>>
>>8781685
I had to pay 2000€...
>>
>>8781688
I don't have any stories but my stepdad is super Christian and believes Santa is evil. He's a nice dude though, so he only makes offhand comments sometimes and for the most part doesn't say much about it, but there was one year he went on a huge rant telling me how Santa encourages nonbelievers and all that.

Your Christmas sound hectic, but I'm glad you can have a good time.
>>
>>8781688
Please share anon
>>
Everyone in my immediate family can't stand each other. Feels a bit strange to see people posting about Christmas on Facebook and other social media, since there's absolutely no festivities at my house.
>dec 24
>3 hrs of parents yelling at brother and then fighting with each other
>no dinner because they fought
We used to have dinner with extended family for appearances sake, but they either moved out of the country or hate each other now too, so that's that.
>>
>grandma sent me The Pattern
>you know which one
>she did also send some cute useful patterns and lots of snacks so im happy though

>got bf some plamo and vidya and grandma also sent him snacks and Avengers merch (we've been together for almost 6 years so she's adopted him at this point)
>bf got me a new 3DS XL but didn't realize they no longer come with charger included so I have to wait til tomorrow to buy one
>parents sent sephora and crunchyroll e-giftcards because they couldn't mail anything until wednesday
>feel super guilty because i can't mail their gifts until tomorrow either due to work
>>
File: ohno.png (402 KB, 486x546) Image search: [Google]
ohno.png
402 KB, 486x546
Nothing cgl related for me, but that's not surprising because I never get anything cgl related.

>was out at relative's house until 11 last night. People came over at 10am this morning. Couldn't sleep worth a damn so tired as fuck even after coffee.
>mfw they're not going home until around 7pm tonight
>>
>>8780529
I know this is super late but most grocery stores carry tea balls for loose tea. They're small mesh or punched tin balls that split in half and have either a chain or a handle so you can pull them out. Put a spoonful in and put it in your cup like a tea bag. I like the punched tin ones more than the mesh personally, the mesh always dents and starts to not fit together right after a short time for me. There's also a lot of really cute shaped ones out there and very ornate antique ones. I got a robot one for my brother last year and have seen fish, rubber ducks, kittens, submarines, and other cute shit. Pic related.
>>
Wow this thread is full of ungrateful cunts
>>
>>8781116
your parents are fucking weird
>>
Only cgl related gift for me.
>>
>>8781776
thanks anon, I was actually thinking of getting something like that since I have a really cute one on my mind that I saw somewhere. it was metal, covered in flowery ornaments and kind of a 'smushed ball' shape. really cute and I have no idea where I saw it, hm..
>>
>>8781795
Sometimes I have to laugh at these 'academic' attempts to explain j-fash when it's as simple as it looks cool/cute/sexy/whatever.
>>
My family always complains that the stuff I want is too difficult, even when I provide them with shop links. So this year I asked for a coffee machine, towels, scented candles and a scarf. My mom got me possibly the ugliest scarf in the world, my dad got me a normal scarf, and my siblings gave me wine tough I don't drink.
>>
Not very cgl but Christmas related.
My mentally abusive ex just wished me Merry Christmas by message out of the blue. Lately I've been in a bad place by obsessing over whether it really was that bad or whether I'm just a drama Queen, dreaming about telling his newlywed wife what a bad person he used to be, but I've managed to not act like a total crazy person and have kept it to myself. Now I'm just sat feeling sick, trying to pretend to my family that nothing is wrong.
I can't reply to that message like a normal person and so I won't reply at all, but I can't get it out of my head. I wish he was dead.
>>
My mom is so incredibly normalfag that I can't ask for anything related to my interests because she hates (and I do mean HATES) all of my hobbies. She'll go out of her way to tell me how worthless and stupid she thinks they are. So this Christmas I got almost nothing I actually wanted or needed. And my brother (who is a felon that went to jail because I testified against him) is coming over with his son tonight so my mom can spend Christmas with them and I have to get lost and find something to occupy myself with because his parole stipulates that he's not allowed within 500ft of me. And I have no say in the matter and found out today. Christmas this year sucks ass.
>>
>>8781825
I'm sorry. If he hurt you you're not being a drama queen for not being with him. You're being smart and taking care of yourself. You're doing the right thing by annoying itbeven though it's hard. Go hug your family or a pet or friend and watch a happy movie.
>>
>>8781845
**ignoring, not annoying, in at the gym and the sweat is getting to my brain
>>
>>8781825
You sound like a psychopath
>>
My family just sends me money on Christmas. They don't really care about what I buy with it, and it's more convenient for me to buy frilly things for myself. They're always happy with the electronics I get them.
>>
>>8781845
Thank you anon. It's not going to get out of my head or be suddenly okay but I just needed to say something about it to someone. I'm going to fall asleep whilst my family watch a film.
It's so impressive that you're in the gym on Christmas, i hope you have s good holiday.
>>
File: 1432404857579.jpg (82 KB, 900x507) Image search: [Google]
1432404857579.jpg
82 KB, 900x507
>>8781743
>my stepdad is super Christian and believes Santa is evil
jeez that brought back memories:

>be kid
>schizo mom discovers religion
>latched onto the most paranoid religious conspiracy theories possible
>banishes anything Santa related from home and makes us "be watchful" around relatives' Santa figurines because "Santa is an anagram of SATAN!"
>mfw i figured out it was just "saint" in another language
>>
>>8781808
i personally love academic studies of cultures and subcultures and trends and such.
>>
>>8781840
why are you even still in contact with your mom? if she hates what you do and kicks you out so a criminal can come over... sacrifice what you can and save up to move away.
>>
>>8781866
That's what I'm doing. I wouldn't have even come home this year but I still wanted to spend time with my dad since although he goes along with whatever my mom wants it's not because he wants to, it's because he's just afraid of her because we both know she's bipolar. He's essentially her complete opposite. Plus there are tons of other family members in the area and every year we spend Christmas Eve together and I wanted to see them too. One of my older brothers refuses to move back here despite her begging because he also doesn't want to deal with her shit, but he's a lot older then me and more established.
>>
>>8781700
You can always sew it shut anon!
>>
>>8781808
but there are cultural reasons behind why people see certain things as cool.
I get it that a lot of people who try to explain the reasons behind subcultures don't know what the fuck they're talking about and are super embarrassing though. Like any time people on tumblr try to explain anything with their made up western bullshit reasons.
>>
This is runaway anon from a couple threads back.

> family was one of those that have enough money to pay for bills and a bit extra but instead spend all of it on frivolous things
> always would have an over the top fancy Christmas dinner so they can pull that "but you can't be depressed/we can't be abusive when we have all of this for you!" bull
> fast forward to now, still not responding to them
> friend/roommate is at work and I'm spending Christmas alone with a cheap pizza
> see everyone posting their gifts and dinner pictures
> trying not to cry because I'm at rock bottom
> I feel twice as shitty because I feel I'm not grateful for what I have
>>
>>8780975
My boyfriend and I send each other a wishlist every year. Mine has a good mix of stuff and it's like I can't be disappointed because he is literally getting me stuff I want
>>
>>8781108
Driving lessons aren't that expensive though. I paid for mine when my step-dad promised me a car
>>
>>8781125
I don't think it's so much that he didn't put an effort into it but more like its misplaced.

I was told that I don't hide my expressions well so, my boyfriend finally saw that I was more excited about presents I specifically ask for vs what he guessed I ask for.

I don't think there is anything wrong if you let him know. It's like what you said, no sense in wasting money
>>
>>8781952
not everyone on cgl is your neighbour. over here lessons are at least 500€ if not more.

>>8781947
hey anon I think I remember you. holiday time is always shit in these cases. maybe take up a project over the holiday season that you can put your energy into, instead of having to sit around and watch as everyone has the perfect dinners and presents? I think it would help you with these feelings. stay strong, you've already succeeded with the hardest part. sending you happy thoughts anon <3
>>
>>8781411
Maybe you can try volunteering or doing Toys drives. It might help you put some things into perspective
>>
>>8781964
... That's exactly what I paid for mine. Mine were pricy as shit but it was done when I realize that there was no way in hell my parents were going to teach me.

Or shit, fucking tell him to pay for your classes than coming here and whining. If he can afford for your car then he can damn sure pay for your classes
>>
My boyfriend bought me my first lolita dresses for Christmas. One's a taobao brand dress and the other is a replica, but I don't care at all! They're beautiful and he picked them out himself without really knowing anything about lolita (I don't really know too much either...I just lurk). He also got my Shadow of Sparrow tights and I really really like them. He did a really nice job.
>>
Boyfriend offered to buy Chocolate Rosette and a Liz Lisa lucky pack but I freaked out and asked for other stuff. I didn't want him or me to go through the blood bath and most likely, come up with nothing.

He did buy me a Liz Lisa dress though, which was more than I was expecting.

He got a rereleased GaoGaiGar and Play Arts Kai Sora though.
>>
>>8781981
>>8781983
I wish my boyfriend would buy me something lolita related. He's pretty cool with it and thinks it's cute (I wear ETC or casual takes on AP ~2-3 times/week), but he still won't buy anything.
I even gave links in my wishlist when we exchanged them last month.
I'm happy with what he did give me (scarf, hp lovecraft anthology, a video game), but it sucks knowing that I will always have to buy all of my own lolita shit.
>>
>>8780738
>>8780777
>birthday is the 25th
>never able to celebrate on the actual day
nice to know other people feel the struggle. happy birthday, anons
>>
>all these disappointed gulls
Maybe you guys can talk to your families about what my family does every year?
>all the "adult" (40+) women go shopping together
>target, macy's, sephora, etc
>all spend ~$100 on stuff for themselves
>nice bonding time with visiting familyand whatever
>also buy "Santa's" gifts for the little kids, give the older kids ~$80 to buy the things they want online
>everyone disperses their gifts amongst the family members and they wrap them for them
>the only surprise is the packaging desu
>no one is disappointed and everything fits perfect
It's no different than making a wishlist imo
And I also make small gifts like aprons or paintings or pick up small things that I know they'd like.

I never ask for/get jfash stuff for christmas because my family doesn't really get it, but I get stuff I don't normally want to spend my own money on (socks, camisoles, foundation) and I got a nice garment rack this year! I'm really excited. Not to mention I've gotten to wear lolita for 4 days straight and my relatives really like it.
Merry Christmas, /cgl/!
>>
>tfw got dream dress for Christmas
>tfw Santa didn't bring a bf for Christmas
>>
>>8780829
>>8781077
This.

I'm guilty of it, too. I always fall into habits of hanging out with certain people based on convenience or how often they're available, so I rarely visit those friends who actually take effort to hang out with. If they call me up or text to hang out, though, I'll make the time to be there.
>>
>>8781952
Driving lessons and tests would total to at least 2500 euro for me. Shit ain't cheap over here.
>>
>>8781999
Fucking this. I got everything I wanted and more but materialistic things can't fill that empty feeling anymore.
>>
>>8781995
Sounds like your family actually gets along and has free time.
>all the "adult" (40+) women go shopping together
I'm guessing your family is a bunch of middle-class white folk, right? Most people don't have the luxury of single-income households that offer than kind of free time to go shopping. I set a few places in mind and spent the first half of December stopping at different stores on my way home from work (1-2 stores each day) to buy everything.

Everyone in my family has no idea what to buy me at this point, so they've finally started giving me what I want, which is cash.
>$600 in cash
>$100 on a gift card
>a bunch of small toiletry gifts from grandma
>a Bible because there aren't enough laying around the house
>>
>>8782017
Then fucking ask your dad. Stop salting this thread
>>
Anyone else sick of online friends seemingly all having shitty families that are meanies?
I'm aware we're all young adults but to see them go "ugh gotta meet that stupid aunt and have dinner and get asked questions ugh" even more during the holidays makes me wonder if their situations are bad at all. Half of them just seem awfully whiny.

Personally I'm grateful for my family, they respect my boundaries and if I want cgl-related stuff I just buy it myself and then they pay me back, pack it up, voila a christmas present. We don't even have a lot of money so I'm always amazed with the shit people get but I know our situation so I don't mind. We still have it good.
>>
>>8782019
>a Bible because there aren't enough laying around the house

>yeah, but this one have a line you can write your name on! I already did it for you
>you also need a pocket sized one
>you also need this one written in a dead language
So many Bibles..
>>
>>8782020

Bro I got my driver's lessons for free, but anon you replied to certainly isn't salting the thread.
>>
>>8782019
Someone who gets $600 cash for Christmas doesn't get to whine and be a bitterfag and assume other people are single income, middle class white folks.

Do you not have days off of work? Maybe get your ass out of your parents basement.
>>
>>8782025

Maybe it's because in my job the share of people I've seen are under stress, not in the best of socio-economic situations, and are all crowded into very close physical quarters, but I think you're underestimating the number of dysfunctional family dynamics out there. And this is coming from someone who has been blessed with understanding parents who don't make a big deal about Christmas.

Some of these sound like whining, but a lot of these situations sound genuinely sucky.

In any case, have a Merry Christmas y'all.

I guess my gift was we went somewhere nice and warm and my parents foot the bill for most of the food. I'm really happy I got to spend time with them all.
>>
>>8782042
I wouldn't doubt it, but I've also had people who would make the worst of everything when in reality it wasn't bad so it's always a guessing game.

It doesn't help I can't comprehend finding the idea of parents fighting normal, or any of that shit. I can't think of any time my parents have actually being fighting, arguing at most and even that's rare.
I guess in a way I just don't want to believe that a case like mine is so rare these days, when it feels like every other family is dysfunctional.
>>
>>8782054
happy families have always been rare. the only thing that's new is people are allowed to express their discontent instead of putting up a front.
>>
>>8782081
True, like I said since I grew up with a 'good' family being the standard (I didn't really have friends so no comparison material either as a kid) when I reached teen age I was surprised to see so many people in not so happy family situation?
It makes it difficult for me to help friends through their struggles too, because it's so hard for me to comprehend what they're going through and makes me feel bad that I do I have nice family.
>>
>>8781004
Not the person you were replying to but friends have suggested this to me too (I'm the Dec 24th anon) - but it feels weird and needy to constantly try to celebrate 3-4 weeks after your birthday. It's one thing if you're planning a party or outing that could be scheduled for any time, but I'm going to guess that most of the christmas babies here have gotten in the habit of rarely planning anything big. I haven't had a birthday party since I was ten - by the time I was old enough to plan my own I just wanted to avoid the holiday insanity and sweep my birthday under the rug to save myself the added stress.
>>
>>8782090
I'm 28th anon, and It also feels really weird celebrating not on the day. I don't know what it is, but I've felt rather awkward and anxious both times I've tried to do this, and even once that subsided, it still didn't seem real.
I haven't had a proper birthday since I was 6 and am turning 23 soon, so I'm pretty much over it, but it still makes me a bit glum sometimes.
>>
>>8782088
>It makes it difficult for me to help friends through their struggles too, because it's so hard for me to comprehend what they're going through and makes me feel bad that I do I have nice family.
in my experience, and according to some researches, the best way to heal from troubled relationships is to have a stable one. even if you cannot comprehend the troubles of your friends, you are a model of healthy attachment that other people can hopefully learn from.
>>
>>8782090
>>8782093
i wish the ILD model applied to Christmas. have one in winter, one in summer, no pressure to do both, so everyone has a chance to participate.
>>
>>8782093
>I don't know what it is, but I've felt rather awkward and anxious

When you aren't in the habit of celebrating something, it feels weird to suddenly have all that attention. For me it feels selfish even though I know that's illogical since everyone with a normal birthday gets to do this.
>>
>>8782095
I hope so, I would lie if I don't want to aim for a relationship like how my parents have. They aren't like two young lovers at all, they just appreciate each other, their boundaries and never fight. It's really nice to be honest.
>>
>>8782100
Idk Easter is like Christmas with no presents
>>
The best christmas gift I have received this year is from my boyfriend. He bought me a ticket (that costs around 1k) so that I can come back to be with the ones I care and love. I terribly miss home and I really appreciate it.

And it sort of saddens me that when my parents knew that I am coming back, the first thing they want is for me to attend a dinner with them as the relatives they hate a lot are attending and having a daughter who are studying overseas will look good on their side. I rejected them & my dad is not pleased at all, so he stopped talking to me. I skipped Christmas dinner with them too for the same reason (we don't actually celebrate Christmas as we are buddhist, the whole Christmas thing is just for show in my family)

I'm going to a dinner later with my boyfriend. A mutual friend of ours has invited us to her house & her family is cooking us a nice meal. I'm now picking my outfits and I'm really excited, can't wait to see them.
>>
>>8782106
Be grateful for having that lifestly. My parents divorced and my mom remarried, so I've experienced both the "awful nonstop fighting" life and the "legitimately healthy and supportive" life, and it really can just be one or two people to make or break the attitude you and others have. I agree that a lot of people do overreact or complain online, but it really can just be seeing that one shitty relative that ruins your whole day and they don't have anywhere else to complain.
>>
Sadly for me my family/friends don't know shit about Internet shopping so I never get any brand as a present. This year I didn't get anything lolita, although I did get some gloves and shoes that could go well with the fashion. Luckily for me I've been saving some money and it's enough for two brand dresses that I've wanted for sometime.
>>
>>8781067
If she's 14, she probably can't afford to get much. My 15 year old sister doesn't ever get anyone anything but she's the baby of the family and the youngest by far. It's much different when you're an adult.
>>
>>8782125
Trust me, I am. I pretty much never complained about my family, I love them dearly and realize very well how lucky I am.

Sometimes I just feel bad for having such a nice home situation, knowing that so many others can't say the same, so I just feel a bit guilty somehow.
>>
>>8781108
I guess I dont know how it is in Europe, but dont you have someone in your family to teach you? Even a friend? I live in the US and when I learned to drive it was just my mom teaching me stuff and we had to buy the study materials and then pay for the test. It couldn't have cost that much, though I dont remember because I was like 15.
>>
>>8782142
please read the thread, this is tedious. someone already said that in some places, you HAVE TO PAY FOR CLASSES, period, that you can't just take a test. just drop it
>>
File: repteabltmb.jpg (14 KB, 230x228) Image search: [Google]
repteabltmb.jpg
14 KB, 230x228
>>8781804
Like this? Its an antique reproduction. They might cost a little more because they're usually cast in sterling, but at least you know what it might be.If you google image search 'antique tea ball" you'll find a bunch of different designs on servingware sites and Etsy.
>>
>>8782142
It's not just a simple test here. It's like going to school. Go to classes, take tests, drive with teachers, drive alone in an maneuver and ice rink and then two big tests - theory and driving. Takes 2 months and costs $1500.
If you haven't gone through that and get caught in the front seat of a moving car you go to jail.
>>
File: presents.jpg (63 KB, 486x616) Image search: [Google]
presents.jpg
63 KB, 486x616
I had a pretty great Christmas this year. Nobody fought, I got to sleep in a little, no work, etc. My dad knows I collect old Tokyo Mew Mew merchandise and surprised me with several things I didn't have. I also got a few pairs of Studio Ghibli-related pajamas that are really cute. I feel sort of blessed to have a family that's cool with me being into anime and goes out of their way to buy me fandom related stuff.
>>
>>8782142
You flat out aren't allowed to do that in my country. It's illegal. You HAVE to take expensive classes. There's no other option.

If you do manage to get driving lessons from your family, it still wouldn't matter all that much since a certain about of classes is required just to do the test.
>>
>>8781981
>replica
>don't care at all

I understand what it's like to be new. In future, don't waste your money on low quality dresses just so you can have the kudos of having a print.

A well done coord with a decent quality but obscure taobao dress will always look better than a coord done with a famous print replica.

I hope you had a lovely christmas in any case.
>>
What is it with all the people who have families who don't do online shopping? How do they function in our society like that?

I can understand if you're from certain places in the world or your parents are older than like 60 years I guess.
>>
>>8782054
My nuclear family is like yours, despite that we had issues for a while when I was a kid (my baby brother had some mental illness type issues when he was very young and it made holding together very stressful). My extended family though, lots of shit fucked up in there so we all learned to be very good at dissolving situations and keeping everyone else calm enough to get through a few holiday gatherings a year.

Honestly if it seems like there's more dysfunctional stuff now than before, remember we have a lot more people on the planet and a lot more platforms to be vocal about it on.
>>
>>8782166
Dunno about others, but for mine it's less online shopping in general, and international shopping that's more the issue.

Europoor, so sure I can ask from stuff from our nation's biggest online retailer, which I also do, but I can't get anime shit there. I have to pay out of the ass for shipping for that and it's harder to navigate.
I don't expect my parents to know how to operate your average lolita brand's website either.
>>
>>8782164
i think anon is appreciating the sentiment of her boyfriend getting her something and actually putting effort into finding something to her tastes instead of buying a lacemonster because it says 'lolita' on it.
>>
File: =T Hmm.gif (495 KB, 500x293) Image search: [Google]
=T Hmm.gif
495 KB, 500x293
Salty feels:
> enjoys buying gift for friends
> pay attention to what people say they want all year long so I can get them a good gift
> mfw half my friends don't get me jackshit for Christmas because they claim they don't have money and then turn around and buy stuff for themselves

Good(?) feels:
> depressed/suicidal due to school stress
> wasn't able to get good enough grades to get into the program I want
> parents surprise me with a gift even though I wasn't expecting anything
> a cute figurine of a girl and her dog with text engraved at the base
> I believe in you.
> I start brawling in front of them because it's what I really wanted to hear from them all this time.
> mfw I have no face
>>
>>8782172
Britbong here, and I get you. Taking someone who is used to simply pressing "add to cart" on amazon/ ebay, and making them try to navigate taobao or use an SS is a bit much.

I think I have been spoiled by having parents who aren't at all frightened of figuring out new stuff when it comes to the internet. My mother has started using taobao regularly for buying school supplies for the classes she teaches. She used to tack her bits and pieces on to my orders, now it's the other way around.
>>
>>8781159
nadeko is trash
>>
>Have to spend parts of the holiday with my super racist mom
>She gives nice gifts but likes to talk about how she got them for extremely cheap on eBay
>Don't feel too bad because I literally grabbed her gift as an afterthought while browsing the knicknack shelves at Goodwill

Spending time around her is so fucking exhausting though. I feel like my brain has been put through a meat grinder.
>>
>>8782166>>8782166

All of my coworkers except seem like theyve shopped in stores. I don't get it either. It's not even the crowds that bother me, it's the lack of choices
>>
>>8782161
Oh dang. Super jealous of your TMM spoils. Did you give your dad a wish list or does he just know what you do or don't have?
>>
>>8781125
why not get him to give you the money so you can order what you want? He can do the same with money you give him

That's what my boyfriend and I did this year and the gifts from him were the only things I got that I will actually use
>>
>>8782040
I'm not whining, I'm just pointing out that they shouldn't assume that everyone's family has a horde of 40+ women who can each blow $100 on themselves and then $80 for each of the older kids, plus big Santa gifts for the younger ones. I'm super grateful for what I have, and none of my friends are as well off as any of my relatives.
>$600 cash
Just visited my in-law's. It's $700 now.

I have weekends off of work, but I'd rather spend time with my friends/girlfriend than shop so I do my shopping during weekdays when I would just be killing time playing video games anyway. Time is valuable and I try to make the most of it.
Also
>parents basement
I don't think basements are along the San Andreas fault.

>>8782029
Two pocket-sized Bibles, three Bibles in different translations, one kiddie hardcover bible, and two of those Bibles that are like fill-in-the-blank or how-to-live-your-life written by a specific pastor. It's funny because I fell out of the faith 8 years ago and just haven't had the balls to tell them because it matters to them so much.
>>
Boyfriend ordered me a Secret Eden special set. I was so happy that he stayed up and sat through the bloodbath for me :)
>>
>>8782019
>$600 in cash
Jfc, even if I only wish for money, I get like a total of $100
>>
File: dad.jpg (154 KB, 528x960) Image search: [Google]
dad.jpg
154 KB, 528x960
>>8782195
He has a general idea of what I've already got since my entire collection was on display in my room while I was living at home so he could peek in and see if I had something. Occasionally I get duplicates of things (like one of those keychains) but I love the stuff too much to care too much.

My dad sort of gets the whole 'fandom' thing a little more than my mom does, being a Star Trek fan. Pic is him in front of his special Star Trek christmas tree that seems to get bigger every year, lol.
>>
>>8782205
Did you just come here to brag about how much money you get for christmas and how rich your family is? I mean, okay. Better here than posting it all fanned out in a photo on facebook, I suppose.

You could have at least split the "be grateful your family can afford $100!" and the "look at all the cash I have #ballin" comments into two posts so you looked like less of a cunt.
>>
>>8782191
If you know what you're getting, online can be a great choice. If you have no idea, sometimes window shopping is your only option to get any sort of inspiration. A combination of both is the best: stop by physical stores to see what you want, and if it's not in stock you can grab it online or have a list and shop around for lower prices.
>>
>>8782127
My mom pays for her gifts. She has as much as an income as I do since I'm still studying
I've saved money from my birthday and when I spent three days washing windows at my grandmas house to be able to afford proper gifts to her, since I don't want to disappoint her
>>
>>8782215
Your dad looks hot
>>
>>8782163
The US (at least CA) requires 4 days of lecture about the rules before you're given a permit so your parents can teach you. It's not legal to just let your child get behind the wheel, the written test comes first. That license isn't even a card, it's just a crappy piece of paper that says you can drive as long as there is someone else in the car that is over the age of 25.

If you're under 18, you need to have that shitty piece of paper for 6 months before you can take the on-course driving test to get your actual license. If you're 18 or older you can skip all that and just take the classes and then walk in for an on-course test.
>>
>>8782218
>split it into two posts

But anon, then I can't tell the middle-class trash that I am more sympathetic and understanding than they are even though I have more.
>>
>>8782040
I thought the same too, that's crazy money.
Honestly fed up with how some vocal anons act as if every gull is American and how calling everyone on cgl "white middle class" seems to be a bit of a trend in threads this month. In my country poc middle class families are seem as the same as white ones etc and there isn't really a real middle class so much as just people who have jobs instead of welfare and aren't rich anyway. So it feels so narrow-minded seeing "omg white middle class!" almost used as an insult when it doesn't even mean the same thing here.
>>
>>8782230
kek, assuming you aren't baller anon, this amused me.
>>
>>8782219
For me it depends. I like going shopping when I want to be sure of fit. I know that I would have bought too large of a boot size and was able to avoid it.

Even if it was something that I didn't know what I want to get, I just tend to search others wishlists and go from there
>>
File: dekawanko9[.jpg (31 KB, 433x398) Image search: [Google]
dekawanko9[.jpg
31 KB, 433x398
My cousin tried to gain my sympathy to get some of my presents because her parents had to sell her horse. Their company haven't been doing too well lately and they have been borrowing money from my dad. It would have been much easier to feel sorry for her if she didn't just spend almost 2k on a VIP JB concert ticket just to get a selfie with him. I'm sick of distant family trying to leech off my parents and being ungrateful afterwards. My friends used do the same until I dumped all of them. I feel so lonely and I hate the holidays. I just want school to start again so I can dress cutely while I drown myself in homework and don't focus on anything else.
>>
>make jewelry for 20 some odd friends
>put it In the post with correct postage
>they start showing up today, jewelry ripped out of half of the letters, either taken or roughed up
This is what I get trying to do something nice for friends
>>
>>8781067
14 year olds give weird gifts though. My sister got my dad a cup of easy mac and a tshirt, I got a calendar with her face on it. I gave her a set of neurowear necomimi and foam inserts to make her own ears with.

No cgl related presents for me, I'm most happy about the new vacuum.
>>
>>8781760
What the hell, 3DSs don't come with the charger anymore? Why not, that's so bullshit to sell an electronic and not include its charger.
>>
>>8782215
I have a mighty need for that tree topper. Your dad is a cutie for supporting your TMM hobby and is cool for being a trekkie.

>meanwhile my mother calls anime "manga jenga"
>she tries
>>
>>8782286
They said they wouldn't want to raise the price of the new 3DS when lots of people would already own the charger from the older consoles. They have a point but it just seems really lazy and causes more problems since they're annoying new buyers.
>>
>>8782250
Clothes are sometimes the hardest thing to shop for online because you're never sure of just how it will fit until you have it. I do realize I'm saying that on /cgl/ where pretty much everything is purchased online.
>>
>>8782019
Jesus Christ, I don't think I even get $600 worth of gifts.
>>
>>8782042
Was that anon referring to like, whiney tumblr kids? I see so many dumb posts that are complaining about very stupid things tha they make out to be SO OFFENSIVE or abusive. Like a relative asking "How's school?" They go online and write a blog post about "GOD MY FAMILY IS SO AWFUL, WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME THAT AUNT CATHERINE? IT TRIGGERS ME AND NOBODY UNDERSTANDS!" Relatives trying to make smalltalk and idiots over reacting on social media seems to be the trend this holiday season.
>>
It makes me happy to see all the gulls who have families/SO's that appreciate their hobbies enough to get them related stuff. I was hoping my boyfriend might have taken the constant hints and gone for something related this year, but oh well. At least he's been enjoying the games and star wars stuff I got him so I think I did alright.
>>
>bought best friends taobao dress sets for christmas because I can't afford burando this year for them
>one dress turns out to be a replica

I don't know AATP very well and it wasn't marked as a replica because the actual dress design isn't an exact copy, but the fabric is still stolen art and I'm waiting back for the email about returning it to the company because their policy is to apply within 7 days for a return. I explained the situation to my friend and she understands, I'm getting her a new dress.
>>
I got the AP book bag and was really surprised! I got it from my in -laws and I never even asked for any burando. It was an amazing surprise
>>
>>8782298
Which is funny because I always see people complaining about these people for are so easily offended, but I have never seen anyone who is as easily offended as the complainers make them seem. I'm sure they exist, but there are so few that they aren't that big of a deal. The internet just lets their voices be heard.
>>
I got money for lolita, a GLB, victorian gloves, some books, and miscellaneous small stuff

I can't even imagine getting $600 in cash
>>
This was a shitty year for my family, so my mom decided that no one was getting a lot of gifts. My siblings and I were fine with that since we understood. I'm a bit miffed for the petty reason that I didnt get any of the books I asked for. Even getting one would have been nice, but my mom has this weird thing against books, video games, or nerd things? She's super normalfag so it's just frustrating considering I don't watch TV and read in all of my spare time. I got some Etude House facemasks though, which was super surprising. I guess someone went through my skincare stuff to see what I use, so it was a nice surprise. Also, every few years my parents decide which of their kids needs a new winter coat, and that kid gets less presents to make way for the expensive coat. This year it was me. The coat is super nice and I really like it, but I just wanted some books...
>>
>>8782019
>I'm guessing your family is a bunch of middle-class white folk, right? Most people don't have the luxury of single-income households that offer than kind of free time to go shopping.

Not really dude, it's three single women and one married woman and they all work, they can just afford to take an extra day of before Christmas. They are white, though, got me there.
Anyways it was just an idea, because it seems that a lot of anons have well-meaning but unaware parents. And you don't even have to shop together.

Back OT, I bought my best friend a dress of CC but it hasn't arrived yet, oops. I'm sure she won't mind. But I spent like $200 on gifts this month, nothing on myself, and only got $25 cash in a letter from my sad unemployed grandpa in west virginia, I feel kind of bad about accepting it. But also very thankful because no new burando for a while.
>>
>>8782465
I think that anon who was on about that didn't understand that the OP of that comment was talking about women over 40 in her family doing dumb ladies day out stuff together, and thought that more than 40 women in the family spent money on OP. Reading comprehension is too much for some people.
>>
>>8782476

>not getting books for xmas
>mom being against reading because she's 'super normie'

Are you Matilda?
>>
It makes me really happy to see all the happy family stories in this thread. I hope you guys all had a fantastic Christmas this year!

>parents, aunt, and uncle decide that at age 10, I should stop getting presents
>"presents are for kids, anon. you need to act like an adult now"
>haven't gotten a single present from any of them since then for any holiday, including my birthday
>didn't have a job until I was 16 so no nice, luxury things until then
>used first paycheck to buy a used xbox 360 and a couple used games which was a christmas gift for myself (total was around $115)
>"anon that's so crazy expensive. why would you spend so much money on this random shit?"
>sister gets a 3ds for her birthday, an iPhone, iPad, and a stack of 3ds games for Christmas the same year
>cousin gets multiple legit designer handbags and wallets for her birthday and Christmas the same year as well
>Have to work my ass off to pay for food, rent, and transportation and I barely have money left over for myself
>sister is a shut-in who gets terrible grades and doesn't have irl friends
>cousin is just a spoiled brat with a designer clothing collection that rivals both my mom and aunt's closets

I know I should be grateful that I can even spend time with my family and that I have a place to call home (one of my friends legitimately doesn't have a family to go home to anymore), but every Christmas, I have to sit and watch my sister and cousin get spoiled and pretend that I'm ok with not even getting chocolate milk.
I tried telling my family that I would like to get something small and inexpensive for Christmas but I was told that I'm spoiled and demanding.

I'm really grateful that I have a great job that lets me buy myself lolita or cosplay materials every couple of months and that my family is really supportive of me going into a fashion related major though. I'm honestly ok with my life right now [spoiler]but i wish i'd get spoiled once a year too[/spoiler]
>>
>>8782228

OR is even more lax. We just have to read the manual and pay to take an electronic test before we get a permit. If you fail the test you can take it as many times as you like within 24 hrs before having to pay the fee again.

I don't know why they even let me on the fucking road, I only passed by the skin of my teeth. You need a minimum of 75 points on your driving test and I got a solid 75.
>>
>>8782539
Why do you even fuck with your family, they sound like they're dragging you down. Just make good friends and use them as a new family, that's what I did and I'm a million times happier
>>
File: 1437031760291.jpg (1 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
1437031760291.jpg
1 MB, 3072x2304
My family hasn't been doing too well the last couple months (dad is an independant contractor so our financial stability can wax and wane during the year) but I asked my mom for a few things and she delivered.

Ever since I was maybe 10 my mom has gotten me pajamas on christmas, like those flannel ones with the matching top and bottoms, and i used to think they were lame but now that I've grown into myself I think they're adorable, and I love that my mom wants me to be comfy so I asked her for pajamas and socks this year.
I also got a giftcard to go buy bras cus she knows I need them, and that's pretty much it from my family gifts. I love my parents and I'm happy and thankful that they keep me alive because I sure af couldn't afford rent around here. I honestly would feel bad telling them I wanted some kind of lolita thing, it's expensive and in my opinion it's boring to give someone an EXACT item to buy you. I want to be surprised!
>>
>>8781624
I hope you feel better, anon.
>>
>>8781840
Wow, what did he do?
>>
>>8781947
Anon you WILL get out of this. I remember you and I hope you are doing well and can feel some kind of joy being out of that situation and with someone who really cares about you.
Even if it's just pizza, that's what christmas should be about
>>
Bless my mom. She flat out asked me what she should buy for my husband and I. So I got a $30 shift card to Joanna and hubby got a gift card to his favorite restaraunt.

My aunt however didn't ask me questions about things I liked, but asked me about my husband's favorite sports team. So he got something he liked, and I got a purse. A purse I don't need or fits my taste. My husband bought himself a PS4 weeks ago, so I got a serger out of it. It's the closest I'm getting as a Christmas gift from him because he sucks at gifts. If I didn't buy or make gifts, nobody would get any.
>>
>>8782642
Holy auto correct Batman.

*gift card to Joanns.
>>
I'm happy to be home from school for the break, but I miss my boyfriend mostly because I have been so overloaded with family stuff/entertaining kids/running errands that I wish I had someone I could chill with. I am def treated like a child when I'm home and need a break sometimes.

I got a cat blanket, some cat bags, slippers, shoes, makeup, a nice backpack, a Pikacu hat and doll. Not a huge haul but I didn't ask for anything this year. The rapid expansion of my lolita wardrobe in a year made me want to slow down on purchasing. I bought all my friends decent gifts, and I got my bf a nice recorder for his music. I'm trying to decide if I should ask him for a Korilakkuma kigurumi or do a Taobao order (no need for dresses but can use socks and blouses).
>>
File: 812470.gif (1 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
812470.gif
1 MB, 400x225
Got 45 dollars worth of Joanns gift cards from my future mother in law. I was so freakin' happy.
>>
It's not really cgl related but holy fuck I am irrationally mad that I for my family Kris Kringle I got a singular fucking candle from my uncle when it was meant to be a $50 present.The scent even makes me sick because its honey and I have an intolerance to it. I'm a fucking eighteen year old girl, 40% of shops directly target me.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62 KB, 1280x719) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
62 KB, 1280x719
>show husband how to use chibi and Amazon jp last month
>get tons of weeb shit

It's raining GLBs, keras, and milk tea over here. Also got some rilakkuma stationery and a giant jewelry box for my jfash accessories.

He spoiled the crap out of me this year.
>>
File: 2015-12-26 01.49.38.jpg (3 MB, 2121x3771) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-26 01.49.38.jpg
3 MB, 2121x3771
Backstory so everyone can see how awesome this really is:
>I've worked at Build a Bear for 3 years
>I collect build a bears as a hobby
>I have a fangirl obession with Game of Thrones
>my boyfriend makes EVA foam cosplay armor

He made me Sandor and Gregor Clegane in build a bear form! He made the armor completely himself out of EVA foam and made it as accurate as he could to their armor in the shows
>>
File: 2015-12-26 01.48.20.jpg (3 MB, 2121x3771) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-26 01.48.20.jpg
3 MB, 2121x3771
>>8782673
>>
Got a dress, and some weeb shit like a nendoroid and an Alpacasso. I've been spoiled rotten this year.
>>
>>8782291
I got a 3DS XL for Christmas and it came with a charger in the box. It could be because my mother purchased it from GameStop though.
>>
>>8782673
>>8782676
Losing my shit right now this is the best thing I've seen
>>
>>8782707
American ones have a charger, European ones don't
>>
>>8782151
it was more stylised and simple than that, but wow that is super gorgeous. some day I guess eh

>>8782166
as >>8782172 said, international shopping is the problem. my mum's recently started to let me order things for her with her card since she really doesn't know how online shopping and paypal work. she is not particularly technically inept either, she's fine with computers but I think she's just wary of getting burned or something.

>>8782213
I got a 20€ note from my aunt and uncle's family because they obviously don't know what I'm into anymore. over here it's seen as extremely tacky to give money for Christmas though.

I'm not sure if all of /cgl/ comes from white high class families or what, I don't think my parents would even consider getting me brand because of 'it's just some clothes anon, why do they cost this much'

>>8782668
damn anon, could you regift it? extra points if you regift it to the uncle somehow
>>
>>8781760

>Christmas morning
>Open gifts
>Parents got me New 3DS XL
>Open it
>Dead
>They brought out an extension from the attic so we could all charge our phones, iPods and miscellanious other gifts
>They realise the box that my DS came in is far too small for charger and device
>Mother is outraged
>25 minute angry rant
>I had to spend 7 straight hours with extended family that I hate with no escape
>Was really looking forward to playing Majoras mask instead of being repeatedly asked why I like childish things and why I don't have a boyfriend/go out clubbing
>>
This thread made me wonder if my family is poor? I got 20 euro from my grandparents, tea and socks from my parents, and nothing from my siblings.
>>
>>8782735
You should be able to tell how well your family is off outside of Christmas. Some people just shop and gift differently.
>>
The only cgl-related thing I got was from my boyfriend, who made me matching earrings for one of my dresses. My sibling and I decided to get joint presents for our parents and nothing for each other, since we had a big extended family Christmas day with Secret Santa and knew we were getting things anyway.
>>
>>8782733

Also, here is the story of my christmas day

>Had to deal with my aunt, uncle and cousin asking me 'why do I make weird costumes all the time I can't wear that stuff in public christ why would anyone dress up when it's not halloween, your too old for dressing up anyway it's for children'
>Calmly explain that it's just a hobby, and this incorporates all the things I like - art, construction, nerdy shit and generally twatting about - into one hobby
>'But anon your're almost 20 your're too old for stuff like that now, why not move on to more mature hobbies like painting or making proper clothes'
>But thats what I'm fuCKING DOING ALREADY
An hour later, they're asking again
>'What would you even wear these things for anon halloween is only once a year'
>I have told you about cons before
>My parents have gone to one and shown you the pictures
>They told you in detail about the 100,000 other people in costume
>14 year old cousin asks 'but dont you feel weird dressed up? I'd feel weird dressed up if I was just walking around'
>No
>Becuase everyone is dressed up
>What part of me saying that there are conventions for this do you not understand
>'But can't you just buy a costume from a party shop? It would look better than something you'd make yourself'
>No
>You have seen my costumes
>They don't make the characters I want to be and I ENJOY MAKING THEM BECAUSE IT'S MY HOBBY
>Topic is now costume choices
>14 Year old cousin wants to be zombie cheerleader
>My parents are now trying to explain that it's more to do with being a specific character, so pick a character you like
>Dad says he wants to be Judge Dredd
>My Aunt/Dads sister scoffs
>'Where would you even buy a costume like that, it's a bit specific'
>I wouldn't buy it, dad says. Me and anon would make it
>'why would you make a costume and what would you even wear it to halloween is ages away'

I have a list of advice they gave me for making costumes that they offered me later on if anyone's interested
>>
>>8782751
oh god yes, keep going. I want to hear this 'pro advice' from these obvious costuming experts
>>
General feels thread, right?
>tfw my boyfriend of 8 months now told me he thought lolita was stupid, a waste of everything and pretty tumblr tier
>tfw he always said he loved my dresses as I never mentionned the word lolita to him
>tfw I'm a lonelita and would love to go to fancy tea parties and meets
I feel so bad now.
>>
>practically a day away from my mom
>had mini Christmas and opened presents before I left
>ac happy home desginer that I picked out an hour before and a $15 giftcard
>real present is being away from her endless bitching and all her constant problems (no relatives no, husband and only rich friends so I get all her real life problems)
>spent Christmas with boyfriend and his nuclear family doing traditonal Christmas
>looked around during dinner and felt normal and like I was a part of a real family despite language barrier
>his parents spent quite a bit on me
>boyfriend got me two night stay at the Disney hotel, three days at Disney and character dinner & a disney throw
Bought myself shoes and a bonnet for lolita and will buy a ticket for a meet up soon.
Best Christmas in a whiilleee + plus extra time to get gifts for friends since I'm away
>>
>>8780529
You need to get yourself a tea strainer, anon.
>>
not very cgl related but I got a dslr after years of asking and I got a much nicer one than I expected (pic related, nikon d5500)
I can't wait to take pictures of my very small wardrobe and finally start working on making videos now that I have a decent camera to film/take pictures with. Even though my family fought a lot it was a pretty good christmas for me. :)
>>
>>8782791
fml I'm sorry about the face. phone automatically does it after a double space.
>>
>>8782757

Ok
I was talking to my sister about what I'm planning on buying in the next few days in the sales - wigs, materials, misc items that I can use - and each item I mentioned had some thoughts tacked on by my Aunt, Uncle, or cousins (who are 14 and 10)

Wigs:

>Why would you buy a wig
>Where would you even buy one from
>I like your hair as it is, you should use that
>You could buy clip in extensions in different colours if you want your hair to be bright
>'Oh, anon, I've got a couple of wigs from a party you can have!'
>Ones a silver tinsel wig, the others from a childrens lazytown dressup set

Fabric

>Why not just buy the actual clothes that the character wears
>"I cant buy a 3 meter long emerald green fur trimmed cape for anything less than £300, it'll be much cheaper to make it myself"
>Oh! I have some green towels from the old house, you could sew them together and cut up some of your old stuffed bears to make the trim!
>Or you could glue a feather boa around the edge, I suppose

Construction

>How long does it take to make these costumes, anyway?
>"A while, usually. Me and mom did two lots of Jedi robes in a week but that was basically 72 hours of sewing and no sleep so i tend to spread the construction out over 3-4 months-"
>Why the hell would you spend that long on it
>Cant you just glue the stuff together
>You could have just bought a long sleeved shirt and a long brown coat
>People would have known what you were going for
>"Yeah but I had to make the tabbards and sash and the belts as well, and just a coat wouldn't of hung right"
>You probably wouldn't have needed that, no one would have noticed if you hadnt done them
>It's not like people were looking for that kind of thing
>"But thats exactly what they're looking for"
>Well I wouldn't have noticed but then again I'm not into this Star Trek sciency nerd stuff
>"...We went as jedi???"

Up Next: My cousins and aunt plan out my next cosplay, including a list of materials and processes
>>
>>8782807
>Why the hell would you spend that long on it
>Cant you just glue the stuff together
Not a cosplayer but this makes me salty. What happened to appreciating hard work? I know that normies who don't know anything about cosplay or fashion don't get the point of it but even when it isn't related to this specific hobby, that's such a lazy attitude. "Why would you work so hard? Why can't you just half ass it?" is how I'm reading this. Gross.
>>
>>8782822
They don't see it as half assing, that's the problem. People like that can't actually see the difference between an inaccurate taobao cosplay and a perfect handmade one. The reason they're so confused by the effort and hardwork people put in is because they don't see it making any difference to the end result.
>>
>>8782807

The costume I have planned is springtrap from fnaf - so sue me, i have shitty taste, I know - but a full suit with stilts and moving eyes that light up, in a more stylized 80's scifi horror style. It's gonna be a big project, but I have the whole thing planned out. My cousins take on this is:

>Get a green shirt
>Draw some holes on it in sharpie
>Buy some black distressed look jeans
>Black converse with green laces
>Go to party shop
>Buy bunny ears and tail
>You are finished

So I asked what to do about all the weathering, the metal parts, the fact that the whole rabbit it greeninsh-yellow, and that I'm not planning on doing a humanised version:

>Oh, don't paint yourself! They don't make face paint crayons big enough!
>Don't wear a wig, your natural hair is really pretty, you should let people see it! - I have a fucking 80's perm, as great as that is I don't think springtrap is that big of a Bon Jovi fan
>Don't wear a mask up cover up your face, people need to see what you look like
>"So what should I do about makeup?"
>Don't
>You don't need it, you look fine
>You could also wear your leather jacket over it to look extra creepy! My younger cousin adds

At this point my nan joins the conversation. She was rather opposed to the cosplay thing at first, since she's come to appreciate the work I put in and whatnot, and if im happy, she's happy. Also, she's hella into sewing and we've bonded over it, and actually shows pictures of my costumes to people on her phone, even though the majority of them are horror themed.

She asks me how I'm going to make the actual costume, I fill her in, she seems happy, offers support as only a nan can.

From My Aunty I get
>Well if you're going to do that we don't want to see any pictures of it
>It sounds like it will look really scary, we don't want your cousins to see it and be frightened by it
>What will the rest of the street think if they hear about you dressing up to scare children
>Why would you do that

cont.
>>
>>8782837

So now my cousins are kicking off about how weird I am again, and the only thing they can think to ask is why would you dress up as something scary, so I tell them about my other big project for the year - Lady Loki. I'm going all out with that one too, props, armour, big cape, the works. My cousins, of course, don't know who this is, which I expected - the 14 year old got kicked out of the cinema when she and her friends went to see Age of Ultron because they 'got bored' and started arsing about, so they aren't particularly into Marvel. I tried to use a comparison my younger cousin would know, so I said that she's basically like Elsa from Frozen but wearing leather trousers and has black hair instead of white. Admittedly, its a really shitty comparison, however I was not ready for my aunty jumping in and going

>She hasn't seen Frozen
>She's too young to see it
>My cousin adds that it looked a bit scary in the adverts so she didn't go
>Elder cousin didn't go either, because scary
>Everything suddenly makes sense

For those who aren't following -
>My aunty was trying to affect my costume choices to pander to her over sheltered child
>She has been trying to get me out of my own hobby because everything outside her designated fun zone is wierd and scary
>She will not have her child subjected to this
>Therefore I havr been told that I will not be permitted to a) dress up or b) talk about cosplay at the New Years party

And that is the story of how my parents, sister and I found out that my whiny cousin is more important than all off our combined hobbies. We got a taxi home early and watched spaceballs while bitching about my cousins, and so Christmas Day came to a close.

Merry Christmas everyone.

P.S. My dad is getting a Judge Dredd cosplay for his birthday now so some good did come of it I suppose
>>
>>8782844
As unpleasant as that must have been for you, I honestly feel sorry for your cousins. They sound very sheltered, that can't be good for them. Frozen, scary? Really? Jesus.
>>
I always did envy those perfect people who get thoughtful gifts from both friends and family. I usually only receive gifts from parents and siblings nowadays, as I'm not really close enough to my nearby relatives to merit a good gift nor do I have many friends close enough to trade gifts (though I did make a pact with 2 of my friends and my girlfriend to not give gifts to each other on account of money issues). The other few friends who I'd totally trade gifts for are out of state.

I always hope that next Christmas is the Christmas where I can be the normalfag having fun opening presents and seeing reactions to my presents. I dunno, maybe it's just how my loneliness manifests itself in how I feel about Christmas. I'm more envious of the social interactions than the actual gifts themselves.
>>
>>8782517
Oh my gosh, anon, that is the cutest comparison I have ever heard.
>>
>>8782751
Just explain it as a "Comic Con." Even normalfags understand Comic Con as a legitimate thing.
>>
I'm never really huge on the getting bit but I love giving my boyfriend nice things. This year though...
> boyfriend left for short trip couple weeks ago.
> back in November I told him all the brands I like ( he is semi fluent in moon runes) and my three measurements saying even if it was only a single used piece I'd be so happy.
> he talks up all this stuff, ordering from overseas etc etc
> I snooped. I had a feeling it was too good to be true.
> see it's more fandom stuff I really don't want or need but thought that counts so whatever.
> So happy I did because I was able to fake happy a lot better knowing ahead of time I'd be disappointed.

I'm a piece of shit gulls but it saved me from looking like a total brat . He later got all sad because he knew he didn't get a thing I asked him for and I didn't get upset because I had time toprepare.
>>
>>8782837
>Also, she's hella into sewing and we've bonded over it, and actually shows pictures of my costumes to people on her phone, even though the majority of them are horror themed.
10/10 nan imo
>>
>went to lush for end of year sale
>store was super packed and cashier overcharged me
On the positive, I have to go back down that way to return a pair of shoes that were too small so I'll be back there soon.

>owed sister a lot of money for unpaid phone bills
>she never badgered me about them because I had surgery earlier this year
>put money aside over the last few months for her to give on Christmas
>when she opened her card she got worked up because I gave her so much money
>I don't think she realized how much money I actually owed her from the past year or so (a lot)
>told her how thankful I was that she paid the bills for me and how she's always the one who makes plans for us to get together on our free days
We don't have a lot in common but I'm seriously lucky to have a sister like her.
>>
What do you do when someone gifts you a replica? I'm glad my mom tried (no one has ever bought me anything lolita), especially considering she managed to get one of my dream dresses, but I don't want to be ripped for wearing a replica.
>>
>>8782912
You should have just given him an exact request. I do that with my boyfriend and he does that with me. We can't read each other's minds regarding interests we don't share.
>>
>>8780529
Congrats on your first dress anon!! Happy Christmas and Birthday!!
>>
I'm genuinely surprised with how many of you guys are disappointed just because you didn't get some specific type of gift despite the fact they tried to stay within your interests.

If you want something so specific, get it yourself or just make it really clear.
>>
>>8782946
just wear it, maybe don't post it online but for normie things and casual meetups you should be fine. if anyone gives you shit explain it was a gift by someone not in the fashion
>>
>>8780829
Hey anon!!I'm feeling in a similar way as I am alone this Christmas time. I know this might sound a bit tacky but would you like to exchange belated Christmas cards with me?
>>
>>8782966
Yeah, I figured I'd just wear it for my usual days/casual days and send a photo to her or something since she'll probably wonder why I haven't worn it to meets or posted any photos in it (she's way too involved with fb).
>>
File: 684.gif (475 KB, 325x244) Image search: [Google]
684.gif
475 KB, 325x244
>long story short: I'm moving into a new apartment with my bf and between my job, hoarder bf, and my mom who insists on "slipping" by junk to dump on me, it's taking a lot of time for me to get this place in order

It's terrible gulls. I have high anxiety when my living space is a mess. I do my best between my job to unpack and organize it. But it's so hard getting my bf motivated (who based on his past living conditions would be content keeping things a cluttered mess) or fending off my mom's trinket dumps of random shit she insists I need. I want to start inviting people over or hosting a mini meet, but I probably won't be able to do anything for weeks to come because I'm frankly on my own. At this point I have to order the bf to do sensical shit like hang his own hoarde of clothes, which I've discovered he's shoved into garbage bags and hid into the pantry closet.

Yesterday when I was at my parent's house for Christmas, my mom bought me a bunch of excess stuff I didn't ask for or need. However, she actually bought me a very nice antique server dish that I was planning on using for a meet up. After that, she insisted I take home more junk i.e. a set of ugly bed sheets. I told her that the sheets weren't in my taste and I didn't need them. Instead if throwing them out, she didn't tell me she was going to use them to insulate my server dish, and shoved it in a bag for me to take home. Today when I went to sort the "gifts" I found the bag of ugly sheets I specifically said I didn't want, so out of frustration I slammed the bag down. I heard a crack. It was my server dish. Shattered. It was nice, scalloped china. Handpainted.

It's such a petty thing to feel upset about. But I can't help but feel there's symbolism in this situation. Like, idk, "junk ruins nice things"? Anyway, I feel really bad and I wonder if there's a craft I can do to make something of the remains.
>tfw
>>
>>8782983
If you feel alone, anon, maybe you should seek professional help? I know it may be expensive, but having a professional organizer help your bf might be beneficial. And with your mom, either suggest the same to her, or just throw out/donate the stuff she gives you? I understand you love her and shes your mother, but at some point you have to look out for yourself if she refuses to. You need to do what's best for you, not her.

Sorry about the dish though. I know the feeling. I'm not the best at dealing with my anger and have broken things in the past, too.
>>
>>8782983
I'm pretty sure the lessons here are 1, don't lose your temper because bad things happen and you have no one to blame but yourself, and 2, dump your manchild boyfriend and move the fuck away from him because you shouldn't have to be his mother AND his girlfriend.
>>
>>8782988
>mom shoves server dish into sheets
>didn't tell me dish was in sheets
>don't expect fragile things to be packed into sheets without notification
>assume sheets, being soft, are typically not in danger of being damaged
How is that 100% my fault, exactly? Not that it matters anymore.

>>8782987
I don't think it's that bad, it's only a one bedroom apartment. It's not even that there's so much to unpack as there is just a hoarde of random, useless trinkets from bf/mom that are difficult to organize and find places for. Bf also refuses to throw away junk and keeps buying more stuff like Star Wars memorabilia. Which, I wouldn't mind, but for example I literally just found a shirt and a toy that he just slung on the living room floor...and left it there for two days.
>>
>>8782997
either a horde or a hoard, pick one

and kick that shit out. my grandma used to bring me bags of random shit she thought I'd like (books in languages she wants me to learn, shitty expired makeup, random fugly half-broken jewellery) and I told her to stop it.

also, you need to have a discussion with your boyfriend about this now. if things don't change, you need to start throwing his shit out whether he likes it or not. he needs to get that you are serious about this, and it is something that may cause a breakup.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.