[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever successfully deweebified a weeaboo? Or you yourself,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 15
File: deweebed.png (417 KB, 1006x426) Image search: [Google]
deweebed.png
417 KB, 1006x426
Have you ever successfully deweebified a weeaboo?

Or you yourself, stopped being the embarrassing weeaboo?
>>
>>8746515
A thread died for this.
>>
I stopped being a weaboo myself. It was a gradual process. I became one in isolation from people who could explain why it was so bad and I was too young to see past my own interests.
>>
>>8746517
Yeah, some autosaged general that's already been remade.
>>
File: tumblr_n7u1t4O33Q1trkmmuo1_500.jpg (150 KB, 459x700) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n7u1t4O33Q1trkmmuo1_500.jpg
150 KB, 459x700
I think most of us grow out of it. I still pretty much like all of the same things as I did at the height of my shame, I just grew up and learned how to hide my power level. Also it's fun to integrate my interests into my style tastefully. Like I have a cute little Sailor Moon key chain strapped to my purse and every now and then someone will come up and go "Wow I love that show! My favorite was Mercury..." things like that.
>>
Is OP's picture the same girl?
>>
4-5 years ago I decided I wanted to be a "hipster girl" and I felt like I needed to purge myself of all things weeaboo. I stopped watching anime, gave away all my manga and gave away my cosplays. It was a bit sad to see that side of me go but it was worth it because now I'm normal, I still do light cosplay and read manga and watch anime once in a while but I'm way less interested and it doesn't consume my life.
>>
I was becoming a kya desu-tier weeb when I was a young teen, then suddenly dropped it all to be a band obcessed, "too-cool-for-you" emo-goth-punk thing (another kind of cringey phase), then I fell hard into narutard-tier weeb hell as soon as I got in highschool, after meeting other weebs (I wasn't the terrible kind but was still a narutard).
Now in uni I'm still a huge weeb, I just hide my powerlevel around classmates and have much better taste in anime/manga. When out and about with fellow weebs, I just deck out in cute/alternative fashions and some animu merch.

Once a weeb, always a weeb. Tastes just change, learnt to watch/read good stuff and now just buy merch/collect stuff/wear it without giving too many fucks. Even behaving like a normal human being, just the fact that you enjoy animu will keep you labeled a weeb for many people.
>>
I have started learning to wear a kimono, with the end goal of wearing in public. I speak and read Japanese. I still love anime, though I now have waay narrower tastes. I got good at drawing. I can cook Japanese food.

My social skills are now better and I never try to to turn everything to anime, I have other interests besides Japan. So I learnt how to hide my powerlevel, I guess?

Then again, I was never an in-your-face desu weeb, more like a shy rambler who would go on and on about anime when prompted and would look down on 'realz'. Thankfully this ended with uni.
>>
I started becoming very disinterested in anime towards the end of school. I broke up with my weeb boyfriend which helped completely kick it for good. But even before that, I became really frustrated with the lack of good anime, or maybe I just was growing out of it, I don't know.

Now I don't have time to even play vidya. I just lurk here and collect dresses in my free time apparently.
>>
>>8746515
If you mean stop thinking I can fuck a Japanese guy and live in Japan then yes.

If you mean in terms of "Stop cosplaying and having an Aldonoah Zero phone case in public" then no.
>>
>>8746515
I've de-weebified myself. I feel like I've just naturally grown out of it with time. I only browse this board to see cute cosplayers.

Weirdly enough I have a cute korean girlfriend now. I'm constantly hiding my old powerlevel around her because she has stated many times how much she hates wapanese people.
>>
Unfortunately in middle school I was responsible for the creation of 2 weeaboos who are both currently freshmen and sophomores in college and are, sad to say, still horrible fucking cringey as shit weeaboos. Did I ruin their lives? I don't know. Perhaps they were going to become weeaboos anyway, I was just a catalyst that made it happen faster.

Other than that, yes I did stop being a weaboo. How? I grew the fuck up.
>>
>>8746534
Nah, first girl's from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZH9IoBw4ws

And the second's a stock photo.
>>
>>8746515
I miss my weeb days to be honest.
Everything felt so much more carefree, i had friends and we didnt care about other people (unlike now where i am more worried). I had so much fun on the internet when i got back from school. EVERYTHING was so new and exciting from reading a manga to watching Lucky Star or Code Geass or Suzumiya Haruhi and dance on nightcore,caramelldansen or some Vocaloid song on MSN or while playing gaiaonline and roleplaying some mary sue character with those mysterious generic "anime girl" pics and browsing deviantart for kawaii shizz or fics. The lolcows were numerous and great too Then i would play my japanese games on my DS or read a manga until i fell asleep near my anime con-bought plushies. I miss 2007...
>>
>>8746515

Haha, oh man I remember when it really started.
>highschool
>friend A starts getting me into cosplay and more heavily into anime than ever before
>we talk endlessly about my first con and how amazing it will be
>A: "what are you gonna cosplay, anon?"
>Kairi from KH because she was the only female I liked the outfit for
>A: "you'll have to get a wig anon"
>me: "nah, we both have red hair, I can use my own hair, or dye it!"
>friend B who hates my guts already begins to have a spasm of the mouth
>B: "DYING YOUR HAIR FOR COSPLAY IS FUCKING STUPID, JUST GET A WIG"
>silence because how to fight about this when I just started and have like 0 knowledge of the rules that go with it
>avoids entire problem and makes an OC for myself with my haircolor
>proceeds to make shit tier cosplay of it but I had so much fun at the con while all the con veterans couldn't stop talking about how shitty the con was
>oh the blissful ignorance

That con included yelling "THE GAME" over the balcony at the first floor and hearing nearly everyone groan because they lost, joining a conga line around the con because why not, buying so many pins its ridiculous, and crying when I went home because "that was my paradise".

Thankfully now I'm not as dramatic about it, but I love cons and I hardly ever go to panels and just cosplay with my friends most of the time. Oh and eat yummy food around the area. It's mostly a friend thing now.
>>
Went from a huge weeb (Naruto headbands and Pocky) to a super preppy party girl in highschool. Honestly weebiness had it's fun but being with the in crowd in highschool was so much fun.
>>
As much as I hate to say it, Homestuck saved me from going full weeb. Then Kpop saved me from going full stuckaboo. I was a huge koreaboo, but I've definitely chilled a lot, and stared watching anime again.
>>
>>8746515
I used to hang with weebs in highschool but never really participated. I did watch a little anime, but not much. I was, however, awfully cringy...

After a few years of college I started dating a female weeaboo and started getting back into anime a bit. Then she took me to my first Fanime Con (and her first in quite awhile) and we literally stopped watching anime the same day because jesus fucking christ.

Now she's studying industrial design and I'm studying mechanical engineering, and we shoot guns, learn new languages, and go to the gym for fun.

>tfw /int/ /sci/ /k/ /fit/ master race
>anime...never again
>>
>>8746515
My successful de-weeb came when I realized I never really liked anime or any of that shit. I mostly got hardcore into it because I was desperate for friends and it was easy to get into that group since I was also introverted/a little weird to begin with.

>>8746663
>If you mean stop thinking I can fuck a Japanese guy and live in Japan then yes.

Funny, when I de-weebed I stopped thinking this, and then I fell in love with a Japanese guy and am now living in Japan. Welp.
>>
>>8746515
I dress normally and keep my interest to myself. I've never been an outward weeaboo because the bullying was bad enough growing up.

In uni I used to wear subtle powerlevel revealing shirts but stopped soon afterwards; I met my (ex) best friend through /a/, so there wasn't any need for them anymore.

I still like Japan as a country but not just because of weeb stuff. I have lots of interest anyways, so I wouldn't define myself by any one of them.
>>
>>8746515
I have stopped being an embarrassing weeaboo, but am still very much a weeaboo.
>>
>>8746555
You still come on /cgl/ though, so...
>>
>>8746680
I teared up ngl
>>
>>8746893
This. It's fairly secretive unless you come to my house in person or know me through lolita.
>>
>>8746906
I only come here once in a blue moon, I like the cringe threads and threads like these
>>
>>8746800
YOO ARE YOU ME thats exactly what happened to me! thank god i got out of homestuck though. I'm still a weeb but im actually reading good shit and im more toned down than i was before. however now that i have money i can buy merch and all the shit i couldn't do before. however im still spreading that across all the kpop albums and lolita i need to buy so im not blowing a good chunk of my paycheck on just pure weeb shit. i feel myself slipping though. i kinda wanna make an itabag and i know i shouldn't but its really tempting
>>
>>8746680
I feel you on every level

I haven't time to watch anime or play vidya in years but I wear weeb t shirts and lolita to work; the only reason I got the job was because I showed them my AMVs. I've never studied film but here I am in a film studio.
>>
>>8746515

If you are attractive and regulate your cringe levels you can do whatever the fuck you want and nobody will give a shit
>>
>>8746555
Because hipsters are waaaay less annoying than weebs...
>>
I was a hardcore/emo edgelord as a teenager but then i grew the fuck up and started doing a lot of cultural studies at uni, now I major in Media & Asian Studies and am an academic weeb piece of shit.

>watch anime constantly
>'academia'
>>
For myself: On the outside? Yes. My co-workers and normie friends just think I'm normal.

On the inside? Fuck no. I'm a weeaboo at heart. Got to keep that powerlevel hidden though.
>>
If you're posting on this board rn, you're probably still a weeb, but the majority of us got better at hiding it and became less obnoxious and embarrassing over time. Also, most people seem to have their worst weeb-phase around puberty through highschool, which helps the trend of ageing-out around college age (hopefully).

/thread

>>8746645
nice b8
>>
File: 1367831675134.jpg (89 KB, 719x720) Image search: [Google]
1367831675134.jpg
89 KB, 719x720
I never stopped being one. I was weaboo level attention whore in my tweens but my parents would have murdered me if I dressed in anything that wasn't normalfag. Eventually I outgrew my group and got a friend who liked anime and vidya as much as me but was also super normalfaggy looking. High School I stopped giving a fuck what people thought, so I looked normalfag but would pull out a manga in class or chat about whatever nerdy shit with friends (most of them were like...Harry Potter nerdy besides normalfag anime friend). No one really bothered me in highschool like the did when I was younger, but people would make fun of my old group all of the time, and to be honest, they were so cringey in high school. I just tried to get along with everyone so I was casual friends with a bunch of different groups of normies. I guess it helped when basic bitches would try to target me for a cheap power trip laugh I'd just tell them to fuck off. Plus I had this weird Gatoraide operation that I worked from my locker, so if I didn't like you, your team got no Gatoraide for their game.

But I really feel like people need to stop caring so much what others think. It's comics and cartoons and video games? How is being obsessed with football any less cringe than nerdy stuff?
>>
>>8746527
I forgot Wolverine was a midget
>>
I stopped in gr. 9 but still watch anime, nothing obsessive apart from weeb dreams and wanting to buy figures of maiwaifu when I get drunk.
Didn't grow out of being awkward with a difficult time socializing until about 4 years ago.
Now I just watch/read selectively and wear j-fashion, and somewhat "collect" clothing.

Luckily even when I was a weeb I was fairly quiet about it in real life. The internet not so much, but it was a very quick phase of cringey-ness until I realized what I was doing was retarded and stopped.
>>
I think I outgrew my hardcore weeb phase slowly. I was really into anime and manga when I was around 11-13, but thankfully I was pretty shy and I mostly kept it to myself. I was of course still a big weeb on the inside, but most people didn't know, and either way, it's still "normal" for 12 year olds to read comics and watch cartoons.

Nowadays I'm more a weeb for kimono and traditional Japanese culture. I still read manga but it didn't consume my life like it did years ago. I also have developed a lot of other interests unrelated to Japan, mostly nature, fashion and novels.
>>
File: IMG_20150303_163736.jpg (5 KB, 262x180) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150303_163736.jpg
5 KB, 262x180
>>8747273
I feel you, anon.
Honestly, having money to buy kpop albums and weeaboo shit makes me mis the blissful ignoracne of my weeb days. Of course, I'm not going to do cringey weeb activities like I did when I was a kid.

>tfw I want to have an itabag of my preshus oppars in peace
>>
>>8747633
>*miss the blissful ignorance of
Mobile typing sucks so much.
>>
>>8746879
I'm a Christmas cake so there's no chance in hell that a Japanese guy let alone an Asian guy is going to find me attractive. I'm black too so that's a double whammy. I only get pervy fifty year old but that's been happening since I was a teenager.
>>
Stupid question: what is the definition of a weeaboo and what not? Because, yes I still like Japanese things, anime, J-fashion. I am just not a hyper-screaming-youngster and don't hype over it all the time anymore. Am I still a weeaboo?
>>
For me it was a combination of learning to hide my powerlevel and just growing out of it. I made a concsious effort to stop dressing like a weeb (shitty "jrock" hair and clothes) because I wanted to stand out less, but over time my interest in anime and japanese things just faded on it's own. I still like all weeby things, just not as passionately as before and I have other interests as well.
>>
I don't think it's easy to tell. I know I've come a long way and I've outgrown a lot of my old habits, but the passion is still there and I can see the look in a stranger's/ good friend's eyes when they don't care as much. In that situation I'm the weeaboo, passionately talking about frame rate and fluidity, mixed media and overall plot/character development.
Then there's finding people who share the same passions and talking for hours while people stare. Carefully explaining veiwpoints as if it were a college thesus.
I don't think it goes away. I believe weebs just learn who to nerd with.
>>
I would say I de-weebafied myself…
then complete relapsed.

when I was 12, I was an awful yaoi fangirl. this lasted until I was 14/15? When I was 16 I dated a fellow geek and my geekines intensified. But at least that got me out yaoi…

In college, I joined a sorority, partied a lot, and was pretty much a norm-fag, dating a new normal guy. Shit was good, but i knew it wasn't really going to last, a lot of these people were fair weather friends. I found it ironic after i was constantly told, "Your college friends will be your friends for life."

Now that I'm graduated, and literally see NO ONE i used to be friends and I'm totally alone with just my boyf, I've completely relapsed in binge watching cartoons when i get home work, wasting my money on merch, j-fashion etc.

I don't regret it, but Ive completely regressed. Even in the yaoi part. I have new ships now.
>>
>>8746555
I did too anon. I started only hanging out with dudes in like math rock bands when I moved out. I still felt not weird enough for weird people but not cool enough for them after years of getting away from them. Like 'you dont like harsh noise so youre fake' They were suuuper pretentious with anime like it could ONLY be cool (cowboy bebop, flcl) I'm back into lolita now after a bad ita high school phase.
>>
Honestly, I noped out of being a weeaboo once I realized how awful dude anime fans were (in my area at least)
>terrifyingly high amounts of yellow fever
>more racist than the average non-anime fans

nope. nope.
I watch cartoons now.
>>
Thankfully I've never been an outgoing weeb, but it was when I argued with someone that prussia still exists that I realized there was definitely something wrong with me.
>>
File: 1410103645425.jpg (130 KB, 393x829) Image search: [Google]
1410103645425.jpg
130 KB, 393x829
>>8749758
Exactly the same as me, with the slight difference and I've never had a BF and I'm still single, so more time for animus
>>
My weeb phase was killed by crippling depression that made me lose interest in everything I previously cared about.
>>
maybe only vaguely related, but being a weeb has helped me a lot in life. I used to be really blunt and antisocial, with no idea how to talk to people even just to make nice. when I joined the cosplay community, i made this fake nice persona because I realized that everyone else was fake nice too. since I became more and more involved in the coscom, I basically had that persona on all the time. it comes so naturally that when I go to job interviews, they actually think I'm a nice and upbeat person. fake it till you make it, I suppose.
>>
I caught my little brother watching Yuru Yuri once so beat him with a sock full of pennies to set him straight.
>>
>>8747762
It's thrown around as "person who likes Japanese stuff at all", but that's not the correct definition. Back in the Golden age of 4chan, pre-2006, the word "Wapanese" was wordfiltered to "Weaboo" (a nonsense word from a Perry Bible Fellowship comic). It was so catchy that people started using it instead, such that basically nobody uses Wapanese anymore.

The definition of Wapanese, and by extension Weaboo, is somebody obsessed with Japanese media and/or culture, typically to the point of preaching constantly about its merits or superiority. It often involves decrying standard western media or culture in favor "superior nippon" culture.

In short, it's somebody who wants to be Japanese. That's the proper definition. The casual definition is expanded to mean somebody obsessed with Japanese media or culture, typically anime and anime accessories. A focal component is a strong obsession such that the is an awkward disconnect between your level of discourse and a person with no experience. A lack of social grace is often considered a component of being a weaboo as well.
>>
>>8746527
This
>>
I miss my true weeb days. I had more fun, I did cosplays without fear of what other people thought of me, I had tentative dreams of maybe moving to glorious Nippon some day.
I fell out of anime and started the de-weebing process somewhere around when I was 20-21; I went from being impoverished to being decently well off in those few years, put on a bunch of weight, got in with a shitty elitist friend group and had all the happiness sucked out of me. Even though all the people I hung out with were cosplayers, they were the kind of people who were so self obsessed and acted like cosplay was their career that it just stopped being fun, there was always some new drama.
4 years later I've relapsed hard into anime and manga, but I'm getting happier again. I'm trying to get myself back in shape using cosplay as a motivation. I'd love to visit Japan someday, but I no long dream of living there teaching English. I think I found a healthy medium.
>>
>>8746515
There's too many of them at my school. It's a given because it's also an art school, A.I. But anyways, I was only big into anime in my childhood and late teens and until I hit my 20s I just continued to go with my video game passion and my major is game design too.

Reason most of my cosplays are vidya rather than weeb material lol. I can obv pick out the land whales who are freaking out about the latest one man punch episode or any other mainstream anime.
>>
>>8746527
I wanna add it's not just about hiding our interest in weeby things, it's also that many of us now realize we don't need to loudly proclaim what we love and shove it in people's faces. I'm 29 now and what was interesting about my weeb phase was that I took an interest in Anime around the same time the medium was drawing eyes in the US. It was new and interesting to me as the rest of nation saw it as new and interesting so it just amplified my desire to talk and share it.

Now through a combination of me calming the fuck down along with anime shifting from red hot fad to "sub culture everyone as some passing experience on" means I can enjoy your hobby quietly.

I won't openly tell people I'm into the stuff but if someone asks me or comments on the weeby things I do wear, I'm not going to deny the facts.
>>
No I moved to Japan and now have no Western friends except for one Australian-Chinese guy

Unfortunately I don't have many Japanese friends either, Japanese guys weren't much like anime
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 492x305) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 492x305
>>8746680
Those gaiaonline rps were some of the best experiences of my life
>>
>>8746671
How did that happen?
>>8746680
Aw man, those were the days. I couldn't understand it when people said Lucky Star was boring as shit, but now I struggle not to doze off when I rewatch it. I've compiled a huge playlist of nightcore videos to watch when I'm down, the kawaii animu art and inherent weebiness is so nostalgic and brings me back to my happier days.
>>8747307
I desperately want this to be real, because weeb-based job acquisition was 13-year-old me's life goal, but it reeks of bait.
>>
I was a weeb back in 04 to 05 while I was in high school. Used to hang out with the mallgoth and outcast kids and we were all losers. Got out of it when I started dating a girl I met through a weeb, but she ended up pulling me away from that group because she demanded I have to spend every waking second giving her attention. I was a pretty naive and sheltered kid at the time, so I guess it helped me grow up a bit, but I did miss out on a lot of cool anime stuff.

After that I was pretty strictly anti weeb, despite being on Gaia during all of this. But then I just kind of stopped caring about anime. Not sure what caused it, never have been able to get quite as invested since.
>>
>>8747752
There are several young black weebs available anon...
>>
>>8747752
younger Asian guys are into black women for sure. I'm like a 7 looks wise and have had multiple really hot Asian boyfriends and am currently engaged to a korean
>>
I used to be a weeb. I was a self-denying one for years because I didn't fit the hyperactive glomper profile, but oh god was it bad.

I had my high school geek phase, the yaoi phase, the jrock phase, and ultimately the Japanese boyfriend. Then I made the mistake of marrying him and moving to Japan. Fucking lol.

I got cured real quick. Pure hate does that to a person. The honeymoon phase of that culture wore off gradually, and it took 4 years before I craved enough testosterone to abandon ship and go home, where I found myself a sexy lumberjack.

Looking back I'm just disgusted it took so long for me to get over it.
>>
>>8754145
Wow, that sounds rough. Did anything happen between you or did you marry someone who you were basically not compatible with?
And I can see Japan being a huge disappointment for someone who fell in love with the culture presented in anime. Glad you found yourself a nice man.
Are you still into weeby shit? I'm assuming you're either into cosplay or EGL, seeing as you're on here, but it doesn't sound like you particularly enjoy the associated media.
>>
>>8746555
>hipster
>normal

Pick one
>>
>>8746663
>Aldnoah Zero phone case
I've got a Front Mission phone case. Currently studying abroad in Japan as we speak, but my anime/manga tastes stay within mecha/cars/burly men fighting/comedy. If you're in or just starting college, take Japanese as a major/minor and study hard. If you really want to live in Japan, it's possible, but know that you have many hours of kanji ahead of you
>>
File: PBF071-Weeaboo.gif (76 KB, 900x300) Image search: [Google]
PBF071-Weeaboo.gif
76 KB, 900x300
>>8747762
>>8750482
I love that comic.
>>
>>8746515
I was a huge weeb for all my life, then 3 years ago or so i discovered /fit/, Zyzzbrah and all that jazz, stopped reading mango and watching animu cold turkey for 3 years because i was caught in the mindset that anime was for losers, i'm getting back into it without being an embarassing wapanese, feels good man.
>>
>>8758270
Man, it's so weird to read it again now that weeaboo is an actual word in common vernacular. It gives it an entirely different connotation.
>>
I wish I could have been a weeb.
Middle school, small town, I'd hang out at the local comicbook/collectible shop every Friday night to play Warhammer/MTG with some older nerds.
One kid my age was a huge weeb, we'd hang out at his place afterwards and watch anime/play DDR/talk about Final Fantasy. He told me what cosplaying was, we'd read webcomics. I didn't have a pc at this point so he introduced me to anime (beyond what aired on tv) by lending me a copy of Ghost in the Shell and saying "Don't watch this when your parents are home."
He moved thousands of kilometres away one day without warning. I ended up not knowing any other weebs so, with high school approaching, I just dropped it and moved on to other things.
Hanging out with him was a fun year though, I wish I could have lived the weeb experience for just a bit longer. You guys are really lucky in some ways.
>>
>>8746667
>hot oil (Korean girl) + water (You)
ooh ur gong to be in the closet for longtime,
>>
>>8746555
I don't think normal people just decide what subculture they're going to be one day.
>>
I feel blessed to say i never really had a full blown weeb phase. I attribute that to the fact i never had any weeb friends growing up. Like i was into Naruto and all that other good cring shit i just didnt have anyone to talk about it with irl. Hell i didnt even know a major 20,000 person con was run annually in my city until i was in college. It wasnt until after college when i really got heavily into the con scene, that that i started to be more well versed in weebdom but by that point i've learned shame and controlling my power level is second nature. I can also thank my weebish ex. Nothing like a break up to reject an identity
>>
>>8746515
When I was like fourteen years, I spent all of my time making shitty drawings of my Naruto OCs for my deviantart, constantly telling everybody about my Naruto OCs and spending all of my time imaging up new adventures for my Naruto OCs. I also fell in love with lolita at that point, and constantly wore this ultra short topshop petticoat under my skirts.

Five years later, I now wear real lolita, and have grown out of my Naruto obsession. I still make OCs for practically every work I read/watch/play because that's just how I work, but I keep them 100% to myself now.
>>
>>8759986
Hey, you wore a petti. That's more than most of the itas in the ita thread do. Look on the bright side of your cringefest days.
>>
>>8746667
She's not even japanese, what a retarded bitch.
>>
>>8746862
And you still post on /cgl/...
>>
My weaboo phase is well behind me but I live with a guy who's nearly 30 and still hasn't kicked it. No job, on his 2nd or 3rd attempt at finishing a liberal arts undergrad because he flunked out of other schools for it on account of spending all day sleeping in and watching animu, sometimes with friends over he can't be bothered to tell me he's bringing over. Exclusively leaves his room to get junk food; kinda glad he keeps it closed becaused it reeks of BO and stale cereal when the door is open. He hoards all the dirty dishes in his room so he can get away with not cleaning them but somwtimes he opens his door up and I can see fruit flies all over. Really likes to put down things I like that aren't about animu or whoever he learned about in art history class that week. Some gems include "The Walking Dead is sooooo uncultured" or generally white knighting Caitlyn Jenner.

He keeps paying rent late because his parents pay for everything and we've told him before that we can boot him for this, but god damn it's funny watching the slow motion crash and burn.
>>
>>8751389
Oh man. When I was a freshman, I remember meeting this art major girl who had a Hetalia button. I was HUGE on Hetalia but had learned to hide my power level since I left middle school, so I tried to be her friend subtly. I draw too so I asked to see her art (she was a fifth year senior, so I thought she'd be decent). Her art was... Bad. It looked like the badly proportioned animu I drew in middle school with more ~technique~. I felt bad. But at the same time, I'm thinking damn. I wish I still had that kind of confidence in my art.
>>
I was never into weaboo, but I had Korean friend that became a big one after he started dating this Japanese girl. He went to the Korean independence museum during summer vacation one year came out borderline racist against Japan. Still likes gundam tho.
>>
>>8762572
Reading this made me more confident about me and my future, I hope I'll never become like this guy.
>>
I grew up and defined my sense of self like a normal adult. I watch anime casually and I don't feel the need to define myself through someone or something else. I think J-fashion is cute in theory but when teenagers struggling with their identity on tumblr wear asian sized clothing it's tacky and kind of sad. I think cosplaying is a cute hobby and I like to lurk up here to see the different creative ideas that surface. I mean weeaboo in the sense that I no longer want to be the hyper cute gyaru anime queen who wears a hot pink bunny ear hoodie and yellow oversized contacts, and live in japan. I still own kigurumis, watch anime, and browse cgl/. I'm just not cringey anymore.
>>
>>8766162

>I still own kigurumis, watch anime, and browse cgl/
>I'm just not cringey anymore

Sorry you have to choose one.
>>
>>8766168

1. Being buck naked in a unicorn onsie with a glass of merlot is the best

2. I watch anime rarely but there is nothing wrong with watching cartoons

3. Ok
>>
>>8766189
How are you buck naked if you're wearing a onesie with a hood? Isn't that basically the most covered you can be with a single article of clothing?
>>
>>8762572
Wow except for the degree in liberal arts that sounds like my ex-boyfriend, and for me... I think I never stopped liked anime and things... Just my tastes go boarder and somehow in the way I learned to function socially
>>
I was a terrible weaboo, right down to the 'nyan' and 'ano/etto' pauses. I took Japanese for eleven years (six of those were basically the same, since we started in grade 1 onward) so I could throw it around relatively adeptly.

The problem? My friends were nine years older than me and I started getting into their group when I was eleven, so all my role models were twenty year-old weebs.

In 2011 I fought with them and stopped watching Anime, the disconnect from my weeb attitude was almost completely immediate. I haven't got rid of the thousands of dollars of anime trash that I own, but I'm genuinely happier.

I just got back into Lolita and I get very weirded out when they throw around words (even if it's just like 'kawaii') because it's a part of me that I really distanced myself from, so I feel like my attitude around that is verrrry awkward. Not nasty, just awkward. I never know what to say so I laugh and go mute.
>>
>>8746515
>Or you yourself, stopped being the embarrassing weeaboo?
I am no edgy teen anymore, and I have given up my dream about becoming a super famous desuuuu mangaka, but other than that? There was a period of time between 16-19 where I was slightly less of a weeb, but afterwards, I think it got somewhat worse. Especially now that i have all th emoney to buy merchandise and clothes, and attend cons.

>started drawing animu again
>of course, only with the finest japanese kawaii ink sets, copics, etc
>draw animu all day everyday, doodle OTPs everywhere

>started wearing Lolita
>closet full of burando
>also wear otome, casually wear burando accessoires/otome because muh cute Japanese burando!!!!1

>started collecting figures
>shelves full of animu figures, Sailor Moon Toys, plushes, etc
>carefully re-arrange my figmas' poses at least once a week, plushes are regularly allowed to sleep on my bed

>fully into shipping/yaoi again
>draw OTPs all day everyday
>got figmas of one of my OTPs solely for posing them together and fulfill muh hawt yaoi!!!1 fantasy in 3D

And I am writing all of this while cuddling with my giant alcapasso, on the verge of tears because I cannot find an alcapasso I want online, new chapters of my mangos aren't out and because Lacemarket is down. At least I am enjoying it.
>>
>>8758521
Yea, I agree; this sounds fake
>>
>>8762908
>Korean independence museum
yeah that place will make anyone hate japan, and I'm part japanese myself. some nasty shit.
Along comes astro boy and the nation is mainstream again.
>>
>>8767604
Unfortunately I know people like that usually they are teenagers that WANT to be part of something
>>
>>8767733
I had a friend in HS decide she wanted to be punk rock. She went to the library and found a book called 'how to be punk rock' and then she threw away her life on drugs.
>>
I was lucky to have an older brother that was a cool jock. He was never mean to me, but one day he asked me if any of my friends like make up, or shopping, or any normal girl stuff.
I was like, nah.
And he was like, well maybe you should? I thought you liked shopping and doing your nails. Careful, some of your friends are kinda chubby from eating all that ramen and cookie stuff from Japan.
I know that may SOUND awful, but to be honest it got me thinking a little bit. I thought if these were the types of people I wanted to hang out with later on in life? I saw my brother's friends' sisters, and they were all getting their hair done, and going out to movies and they were cooler in my eyes cause they had cars and went out to go watch the sunset and hang out. I asked my friends if they wanted to go have a picnic or something nice in the woods, and they were like "uuuuhhhh why?" or they would turn it into big Japanese style event with hot tea and sushi from Whole Foods. And I was like...blah. I seeked one of the girls in my anime club that also shared a few classes with me, who never said much at the club. Turned out she became one of my best friends (still is) cause she was who I wanted to hang out. Not TOTALLY into anime, she mostly came there to do her homework while watching a little. I asked her what she did for fun and she said he loved to go skiing, horse riding, movie themed nights, she was part of other clubs, and just seemed like an awesome and well rounded person. She's my favorite.

Want to have an awesome high school life? Keep that anime stuff on the DL. Make some friends who like other stuff besides it, and then when you get to that sweet point in your life when you are A- In college or B- Living on your own, shit, let your freak flag fly. But when you're forced to be with hundreds of other people for the next 4 years, you might as well try to blend it. Be different later when it won't affect your social life/make you the target for bullying.
Agree?
>>
>>8770464
I think it's fine for weebs to be weebs. I mean, I was pretty weeby. I didn't get particularly ostracized because I'm a really easygoing person. The girly girls kind of hung out in their own group and ignored me, but they were only a minority of the classroom. I had different groups of friends though, for music, for studying, for weeaboo shit, and they were all okay with each other. You don't have to lower your powerlevel to have fun in high school. I think I had more fun weebing out with my animu friends because we were so extremely passionate about it.

2bh, I think your problem was more that you didn't branch out to different people despite having more than one hobby you enjoyed. Don't compromise on the things you are passionate about, because that's what makes life enjoyable.
>>
>>8770464
>I know that may SOUND awful, but to be honest

My Dad and I had the same conversation one day. He was very understanding, hell, he honestly just wanted me to be happy and he funded my conventions badges and cosplay supplies ect, whatever, but he did say something along the lines of "Are you sure you want this to be the thing people associate you with?" I had so many other interests and talents, but the anime thing was the one the stuck with me in high school and that sucked.
>>
>>8770464
Being into anime isn't going to get you bullied automatically. It's the kids who are delusional and try to shoehorn weeb shit into every social interaction they have. I never hid my power level, but I wasn't going to force someone who didn't give a shit to have a conversation about it.

Going a bit OT, but I think the attitude of "be youself 120% all the time, you're speshul if you're weird" has been misinterpreted by marginalized kids to mean "I need to constantly broadcast my interests to people regardless of their discomfort. If they get annoyed and tell me to stfu, I'm being bullied!"
>>
>>8770528
100% agree with that, and I think those were the people I was hanging with at the time. My friend (from the club) and I talked about anime and junk all the time and it was totally cool cause people also started to know us from other parts. This was when I started to kinda hop around to the different lunch clicks. My other friends, who I honestly really liked (still due with some) were the ones that were embarrassing me in front of my brother. If my brother cringed, so did I.
>>
File: retardclones.jpg (144 KB, 480x340) Image search: [Google]
retardclones.jpg
144 KB, 480x340
>>8746515
I don't consider myself to have ever been a weeaboo, I just liked the wacky cartoons with the big flapping mouths, big eyes and slightly out of sync voice tracks. I used to watch most anime ironically, then discovered some actual quality, unique/interesting anime (Lain, Bebop, Champloo) and grew fond of the whole culture, and was also intro'd to "egl", Visual kei and Jrock by a Japanese friend around 2001 so my interest in Japanese pop culture snowballed a bit what with the addition of J fashion and music. I dont know what it is about this generation of anime fans where the weeabooism is so extreme, they amass this worship of these tropey cartoons, a desperate need to go to Japan, be Japanese or marry a Japanese person or ship husbando/waifu or actually be an anime character. Is modern life really that shit for this gen? I'm guessing so the way I notice 80s culture is being so heavily recycled at the moment. I haven't watched anime for several years now, I think I just grew out of it, got bored of the same old cliche tropes and mediocrity being spewed out in general, but I also think the cringey as fuck fan base might have killed it for me. Listing anime in my interests, in any capacity, always attracts the cringiest of cringe magnets so I tend to keep that past to myself unless I encounter someone with similarly low power levels (which is never so far).
>>
>>8770528
That depends entirely on the person. For some people there's no alternative to shoehorning their weeb tastes into every conversation because that's all they know.

I used to be one of those people, still am, just with other things. People like me are probably kids figuratively raised by the internet for one reason or another who never really saw the appeal in the mainstream stuff and grew up watching anime and browsing random forums. I'm exaggerating of course since there's different levels of mainstream, but it feels so alien to listen to Justin Bieber and use the word 'bae' and modern lingo all the time.

I used to think like you and be ashamed of my tastes, sense of fashion, mannerisms, everything because it was 'embarrassing' until I realised that way of thinking was seriously toxic. I got bullied a LOT as a kid, for one reason or another but usually somehow relating to my being 'weird', so I was so self conscious of everything I did and liked that was remotely unusual. I turned into even more of a bumbling mess and literally started shaking around people from the pressure to act 'normal'.

Being yourself just means acting the way you feel comfortable (within reason, of course) and not forcing yourself to be any more or less than you are just because of others' expectations. I've long since made peace with the fact that I'll simply never be 'normal', whatever that means, and like 'normal' things. I don't dress weird, look weird or intentionally try to attract attention to myself (on the contrary), I just have weird tastes and if someone gives me shit for it fuck em.

I used to feel embarrassed for being seen with 'nerds' as well, but now that I'm older I realise we should cherish the friends we have for who they are and not how others see them. I've unfortunately met lots of 'normal', well-adjusted people who turned out to be total wankstains who notice a thorn in others' eyes but not the log in their own.

And that's my de-weebing story.
>>
>>8770770
Aren't you special.
>>
90% of this thread are try hards who are very uncomfortable with going against the grain.

Never have I ever seen the word "hipster" used so unironically, except here, where they think being an obnoxiously loud trend follower is better than liking animus and mangoes.
>>
>>8770770
wait a minute. /you're/ complaining about cringy people? you? omg...please be a joke.
>>
>>8770861
>implying you need to know about ~le mainstream justin bieber to hold a conversation

Anon, please. I feel sorry for the people who have to interact with you.
>>
>>8754145
>The honeymoon phase of that culture wore off gradually, and it took 4 years before I craved enough testosterone to abandon ship and go home, where I found myself a sexy lumberjack.

Oh my god I'm in this right now with my Japanese bf. Just have sex with me goddammit!
>>
>>8770941
Did I offend you or something?
I have no problem holding a conversation with anyone, but it's clear from 5 minutes of talking to them that we share no common interests and small talk gets old really fast,which you'd know if you actually went outside. Plus I even said I was exaggerating.

And yes, he is mainstream, in every sense of the word. Mainstream is not an insult, even if some people use it as such. Stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
File: 48845710.jpg (44 KB, 680x570) Image search: [Google]
48845710.jpg
44 KB, 680x570
Loving all the butthurt weebs in this thread who still haven't grown out of their shit hobby yet kek
>>
I guess I had some kind of a weeb phase in my life.
Luckily it only lasted not more than a year.

>There was a girl in my school who starts to wear decora fashion, totally rocked it,
> even became e-popular
> i got jealous, also wanted to try decora but i had basically NO IDEA WHAT I WAS DOING.
> ended up putting random shit together from my closet and hangig random stuff around my neck, making a strange "emo haircut" (yes) that totally didn't fit me.
> in short terms, running around like someone who was thrown into a container with old random clothes
>ended up as a total failure
>got "normal" after a short period of time, thankfully
>discovered lolita fashion which really fits my type
>was able to figure out quite quick how to do some nice coords
>found really amazing and openminded friends in lolita fashion which i can't tell from other scenes in my city
>still loving lolita and learned to love myself through it and also got to know what looks good on me and fits me and my personality.
>>
File: 7bWjFpc.jpg (166 KB, 600x811) Image search: [Google]
7bWjFpc.jpg
166 KB, 600x811
>>8770770
>on 4chan
>not a weeaboo
>>
File: 1434539848942.gif (2 MB, 352x288) Image search: [Google]
1434539848942.gif
2 MB, 352x288
>>8771962
Many people who have been on 4chan for years and started off as weeaboos grew out of it over the years but still use the boards relevant to their other interests. It's not hard figure out.
>>
>>8772020
that may be true for boards like /o/, you're on cgl where we talk about japanese fashion and anime costumes. Most people here are probably weebs
>>
>>8772047
Not really. I purged all the weeb out of my system years ago, now I'm only here for the hair/makeup threads because I cba to make a reddit account and wait for ages to get a response thanks to the upvote system. I'd wager there's others like me on here as well.
>>
>>8772047
I get that, and this board is very self-aware of its weeby tendencies which takes away alot of the cringe factor. However I was basically describing my (and many others) situation for >>8771962 . To put it into perspective, I wear and enjoy Jfashion thus I frequent this board, I haven't watched anime for many years or read my manga (which I still own so there's that) I have no anime posters, figurines etc. I frequent other boards which have low to zero weeb content, so me not being a weeb isn't that unbelievable.
>>
>>8746515

I went through a messy deweebification.

Let's see, Japanese media stores closed around me as my attempts to maintain my hobbies is render almost impossible due to a lack of sources. So I got forcibly deweebified and became an utter douchebag weeb with the worst aspect of a kpop fan. It was the worst of both worlds really. Take KPOP's contempt for the anime community by being extreme douchebag normies with the worst perceptions of anime and cosplay culture.

So I started fresh again, attempted to actually cosplay. Worked for a while and I decided to go through the actual deweebification process of slowly letting go of the hobby and treating it with a hell lot more respect for it. It was after I helped a friend move out of his old home to a new place that we finally had a heart to heart about our interests that I felt I was formally deweebed and
>>
>>8772178

What I was trying to say was that when I was deweebed by "force". I followed KPOP heavily to cope by absorbing myself in all those girl groups who seemed sexier, more charismatic and mature while still focused on the anime fandom by going to cons. Nothing pisses people off more than to see true KPOP/Hallyu fans hang around anime cons since it is like Jocks and Preps checking out and probably snickering at the geeks.

When I actually deweebed it was when I decided to treat my hobby as a diversion rather than focusing around it. Granted there are days with nothing interesting to do but at least I don't obsess over fanservice anime anymore.
>>
I keep my weebness more discrete, I was never a full blown weeb but i do enjoy a few hentai and doujin and i am open about it but i am not forcing my tastes on everyone else. a lot of my clothes have some form of anime, i have some stuff from omocat that look more "fashionable" and none of that cringey naruto gear.
>>
>>8772047

See:
>>8750482
>>
>>8750482
You seem knowledgeable and very good at explaining stuff, so I'm going to ask you, but anyone here, please help me with this.

Why is weaboo even a thing to begin with? I mean... Why is there an obsession with Japanese (sometimes Korean) cultures, but I have not seen the same thing happen with like European cultures or African cultures or American cultures? Or have there been, but I just never noticed/heard about it? If there is such an obsession with a culture outside of an Asian one, what are those people called?
>>
>>8775286
There are those things. You probably just haven't run into it, but there's people obsessed with India and Bollywood movies (desiboo i think?), France (ouiaboo), etc. In Japan they are so obsessed with this romanticized notion of France that there is an actual disorder and help service for Japanese tourists who visit France and are completely disheartened and depressed by how normal it is. It's not just Japan and Korea, but they are more of the norm because of the spread of anime and manga. People just become enamoured with something exotic seeming compared to their normal, disappointing life style.
>>
>>8775286
I've run into Americaboos in the UK.

Also I submit for your review those Americans who are obsessed with the UK because of Harry Potter or Dr. Who or Downtown Abbey or something. I ran into so many of those at uni.
>>
>>8775286
What? There's people who obsess over French culture and English culture(teaboos?) Also I've met Japanese people who seem to love America, and I have a taiwaneese friend who loves American films(mostly marvel stuff)
>>
>>8775286
I'm Texan, and I used to teach horse riding to a Dutch expat who was obsessed with cowboy culture. Wore the boots and hat, big on barbecues, dragged his family on Southwest road trips, etc.
>>
>>8775392
>>8775402
>>8775403
>>8775413

I am either lucky as fuck or terribly sheltered to have never met any of these kinds of people or even have heard about them. Lol.

Are these people super cringey like weeaboos are though? Or do they just simply have a slightly higher appreciation for the culture they like? I mean, there's a difference.

I've heard about the Paris syndrome before. I never associated that with being similar to being a weeaboo though because they are enamored with the idea of a place (Paris/France) and not necessarily French culture as a whole. It's mostly Japanese Lolitas who just expected too much, but I don't think they wanted to be French or that they ever fake/lie about being French or take on French names or try to look less Asian and more white/European. You know what I mean? I just don't get the same feeling about the two.
>>
>>8775420
If someone's superficially into your culture, it's always going to feel cringey. It usually involves them ignoring the not so appealing bits or imagining a culture that doesn't actually exist. Turning your own culture into a comfortable pastiche instead of acknowledging the warts, and thinking of you in terms of how you can play into their personal narrative about your home culture. It's just a really uncomfortable feeling.
>>
>>8775392
Here they're known as simply 'Francophiles' and 'Anglophiles'.

Also, let's not forget the whole 'muh heritage' phenomenon. Where I live (take a guess) we get a LOT of tourists who have this romanticised view of my country. A lot of exchange students think it's some magical fairytale where everyone has red hair, speaks with an adorably quirky accent and drinks till the dawn. In reality, most of them leave prematurely after complaining for months that it's boring, expensive, everything needs to be imported from the UK and there's nothing to do but get pissed every weekend. Oh yeah and there's even an Irish folk band from somewhere in Eastern Europe. They're actually pretty good.

A lot of people have a romanticised view of France, women especially, and will ape everything French women do. My Instagram feed is full of girls who go on hols to Paris and get all dolled up 'to fit in' just to be pickpocketed by some random Roma.

Honestly I've no problem with any of these people because we all need our daily dose of escapism, we just pick different things to obsess over. What's really cringe are these posters who think they're ~so mature~ because they like only popular normalfag stuff.
>>8775455
Not always, depends. Guess I'm just used to it, but I find it kinda cute if someone's not being overly annoying.

And the muh cultural appropriation people are a special brand of retarded. Here in Europe at least if you're an expat you're expected to like the host culture and fit in, and I 100% guarantee you people will like you more if you say you like Tayto crisps over Pringles or whatever stupid shit the country in question has. And for a lot of countries it's totally okay if you change your name to fit in, a lot of non-Anglo people have done it though for a different reason (Helena Rubinstein, Natalie Portman, etc). So it's okay to a degree, it's only embarrassing if you go full delusional.
>>
>>8775455
Oh, I've never heard it put like that before. Deep thoughts.

I know I'm repeating myself here a bit, but I just find weeaboos to be on a completely different level. Weeaboos want to be another culture. Japanophiles (or however you spell it) are just people who are super interested (read as obsessed) in Japan and Japanese culture, but they don't want to wear their skin like weeaboos do.

Weeaboos
>lie about being part Asian when they are clearly not
>try to change their name to something Asian sounding or
>insist on being called some random Japanese name or add -chan to their existing name
>lie about being able to speak an Asian language when they just know random words from tv/anime
>abuse eyeliners to make their eyes appear more Asian
Hell, some of them even go all out and do the make-me-look-Asian surgery. It's like a gender identity disorder but for a culture.

So much cringe that it's just borderline insulting. I have never heard of someone pretending they are part English (UK). Or try to speak with a fake accent and insist that it's real or that they are from the UK. I have never heard of someone changing or lying about their name to sound more French/Dutch/Irish/etc. I have never seen someone get a nose job to appear more European or whatever (probably bad example here).

So like... why Asian? What's so special about them? What's with the obsession? I just don't get it.
>>
>>8775494
I think it depends on what fans your culture attracts? You get a lot of geeky teaboos who lack social skills. It also doesn't help that a lot of the things teaboos romanticise are the classist things that are currently fucking us over, like the obsession with the aristocracy or poshness.
>>
>>8775497
You may not get people pretending to be English, but it's a bit of a running joke that Americans will claim Englishness by saying their great great great great grand uncle emigrated.
>>
>>8775497

>I have never heard of someone pretending they are part English (UK).
This is a staple of 'girl lies to try to make her life more interesting than it is' growing up stories, come on. Even if it's cliche as fuck, cliche comes from somewhere.

>Or try to speak with a fake accent and insist that it's real or that they are from the UK.
This definitely happens. See the movie City Island.

I have never heard of someone changing or lying about their name to sound more French/Dutch/Irish/etc.
It's common among Asians to adopt English names to sound more western, whether for business purposes or because they love the culture. I personally know a lot of Asians who have changed their name because they like American culture.

>I have never seen someone get a nose job to appear more European or whatever (probably bad example here).
Sorry man, at this point you're either super sheltered or this is just bait. Double eyelid surgery anyone? That's definitely a surgery to look more western and that's considered beautiful.

Moral of the story? Let's agree to never say never.
>>
>>8775497
Most of that is just silly teenagers though, they see it as just harmless fun and they'll probably grow out of it in a few years, as they do.

>insist on being called some random Japanese name or add -chan to their existing name
How is that any different from Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way? Just a different subculture.

>lie about being able to speak an Asian language when they just know random words from tv/anime
>abuse eyeliners to make their eyes appear more Asian
Not any more different than kiddos claiming they're werewolves/vampires and painting their skin paper white
>Hell, some of them even go all out and do the make-me-look-Asian surgery. It's like a gender identity disorder but for a culture.
Those aren't weeaboos, those are sick people.

>I have never heard of someone pretending they are part English (UK). Or try to speak with a fake accent and insist that it's real or that they are from the UK.
I've met many a foreigner who adopt a broken RP accent, though I suppose that's different. And just trawl tumblr for a bit, yanks speaking with fake posh accents are a dime a dozen.
>I have never heard of someone changing or lying about their name to sound more French/Dutch/Irish/etc
Oh my sweet summer child

I think you're reading too much into it. They're treating someone's culture as a commodity which is obviously bad, but people do that to everyone, ESPECIALLY Europeans. The only difference is we're used to it.
>>
>>8775509
>It's common among Asians to adopt English names to sound more western, whether for business purposes or because they love the culture.
A shitton of foreigners do this, because it's simply easier to call Grzegorz Gary and whatshisface Jackie Chan. The only reason it's frowned upon when someone from an English speaking country does this is because we assume everyone can pronounce our names (spoiler: trust me, they can't).

Many people even take on a different accent when abroad to be better understood, and many ESLs start speaking with some version of a native accent if they listen to it enough.

There's no rule to this.
>>
File: burgerboo.jpg (240 KB, 1200x400) Image search: [Google]
burgerboo.jpg
240 KB, 1200x400
>>8775392
>>8775286
>>
>>8775420
There will be people interested in a culture, and there will be people cringey about it/lying about ethnicities. Although I've noticed it's more white teens lying about being half korean/japanese and the occasional american who pretends to have a British accent because its quirky
>>
>>8775507
>Americans will claim Englishness
Not really the same as pretending to be part Asian when you're clearly not. They could very well be descended from some English/European line no matter how distant.

>This definitely happens. See the movie City Island.
Definitely have never seen this happen before. Will look into the movie.

>It's common among Asians to adopt English names to sound more western, whether for business purposes or because they love the culture.
It's really not the same thing though, is it? I mean I saw a weeaboo try to change her name because she felt it was more appropriate for her and the meaning was significant to her, or some bullshit reason. A lot of the Asians I know that adopt English names, it's because people can't pronounce their Asian names and they get tired of them fuckin it up all the time. They change it for school to make it easier on the teacher/classmates. They change it for work because it's easier for their coworkers or customers/clients to remember their names.

I am Asian. I have never had anyone pronounce my name right. I also constantly get people who forget my name, or have trouble remembering how to even spell my name. I have shortened my name from my Asian name to something that sounds similar in English. Most Asian people I know have taken this approach too, so that the name is similar sounding and not a completely out of the blue, pulled out of my ass, super special meaningful bullshit name.

>Double eyelid surgery anyone?
Sorry, not bait. Sincerely interested. There's a misconception about double eyelid surgery:
"the goal of double eyelid surgery is not to westernize an Asian face, but to create a crease that looks natural on an Asian face."
Source: http://www.bunbunmakeuptips.com/crease-and-contour-eyeshadow-asian-eyes-vs-caucasian-eyes/
Just look up the quote to skip the makeup stuff, unless you want to read about that too.
>>
File: tumblr_nl2r3hdqlb1ti7amqo1_540.jpg (48 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nl2r3hdqlb1ti7amqo1_540.jpg
48 KB, 540x360
>>8775540
Yyeeeeah... About that
>>
>>8775509
>Let's agree to never say never.
I said I never experienced this kind thing outside of weeaboos, not that it doesn't happen. I am here to ask if it happens.

I will gladly link you guys to that weird Brazilian dude that got facial surgery to look more Korean and he even changed his name to something Asia too. There is a girl out there that also did this, but I can't remember her name. I'm sure they are both on lolcow. So can someone give me an example of someone this over the top obsessed with another culture that isn't about an Asian culture?

I mean to say that this seems to be getting very extreme. And I have not seen the same extent applied to another cultural obsession.
>>
>>8775549
One word: Boston
>>
>>8775549
I think there's a fundamental disconnect between what you're defining as weeaboo and what the rest of us are defining as weeaboo. It's like you keep raising the bar of crazy behavior.
>>
>>8775549
There's an entire industry devoted to getting suburban housewives to look and act more French. The only reason there no plastic surgery involved is because they're all white already.
>>
>>8775558
>There's an entire industry devoted to getting suburban housewives to look and act more French
Out of curiosity, what would that be?
>>
>>8775548
Not sure what you mean here. Is it the contacts and blonde hair you're referring to?

You do realize that all Asians look alike in terms of brown eyes and black hair right? They don't have anything to distinguish themselves from one another in terms of "style".

Contacts are super popular because they make your eyes bigger or they just like to change the color from something boring to something more interesting. Same with hair. Same reason why other people wear colored contacts and dye their hair. To try something different. This doesn't mean that she's trying to be American/European. Why do people automatically assume that? It's just a different thing than something boring like brown eyes and black hair.

Am Asian. Dyed my hair red one. Was not trying to be Irish.

If her hair was pink or blue and she was wearing yellow or red contacts, what ethnicity is she trying to be then?
>>
>>8775563
>Why do people automatically assume that?
Because it seems a lot like she's trying to be a blue eyed blonde, and many Korean stars are getting surgery to have bigger noses and eyes.

If you dyed your hair red, that's fine, or pink, or green, or purple. But you probably didn't get plastic surgery or wear contacts to complete the look.
>>
>>8775551
What happened in Boston? I am here to learn, really, not trolling or bait.

>>8775558
Where can I find this? Is there a name for it or a link you can send me?

>>8775553
Yes, maybe this is where I am wrong or confused? I have already read the earlier definition of a weeaboo. Someone obsessed with Japan and Japanese culture. I would said they are more so than Japanophiles (spelling?). Weeaboos, to me anyway, want to be Japanese/Korean/Asian. Some go to the extent of surgery.

If this is not a weeaboo, please let me know what is the proper word/name for them other than "crazy". I am lumping them altogether.
>>
>>8775561
>French Women Don't Get Fat
>Lessons from Madame Chic
>Entre Nous
>French Women for All Seasons
>How to be Parisian Wherever You Are
>Chic & Slim
>What French Women Know
>All You Need to be Impossibly French
>French Women Don't Sleep Alone
>French Women Don't Get Facelifts

It's practically a book genre. Not even getting into the blogs here. If the French had specific facial characteristic beyond just "white", you can be sure people would get plastic surgery to look like them.
>>
>>8775569
Every year in Boston people don green and go drinking, some even going so far as to wear ginger wigs and speak in a deliberately cartoonish accent. But that is perfectly fine because it's 'celebrating'. When weeaboos do the same because they genuinely love Asian culture in their own little way, that's suddenly racist and super offensive.

And if you tell me it's fine to perpetuate an obvious stereotype of the Irish because they're white piggus who have faced no prejudice in the States ever, I'll have to hit you with a history book.

And here, you're even doing it yourself:
>Am Asian. Dyed my hair red one. Was not trying to be Irish.
Nor would you look like one because most Irish people have dark hair.
>>
>>8775567
>But you probably didn't get plastic surgery or wear contacts to complete the look.

Idk. I can't tell if she had work done on her face. She still looks super Asian to me. The contacts can be removed. Her hair color could grow out.

She looks very Korean to me, but I could be wrong. Koreans are a very proud culture. They think they are superior to other Asian cultures. It would be very weird to me to think that a Korean person as pretty as her (meaning she could very well make a lot of money in Korea) would want to play another ethnicity/culture. Not saying that it doesn't happen/couldn't happen, but it's just highly unlikely to me.

I think she's just trying to look exotic, but not be another culture. She looks like she could be a model/actress/singer. It's definitely normal for them to change their look to establish a style and get more noticed.
>>
>>8775569
A weeaboo just elevates Japanese culture above all others. The whole racebending aspect may be something that a weeaboo would do as a result of being surrounded by Japanese beauty role models, but it does not necessarily define all weeaboos. Remember, you get plenty of weeaboos who think their exoticness means that Japan would love them.
>>
>>8775585
>t's definitely normal for them to change their look to establish a style and get more noticed.
What if white people want to look more exotic as well? Suddenly that's bad?

This reminds me of the time Gwen Stefani wore a stick-on bindi and everyone flipped a tit because muh culture even though bindis are pretty much a fashion accessory at this point.
>>
>>8775580
Also La Petite Anglaise. Her entire being is 'am I French yet?'
>>
>>8775582
Agreeing with you here. It's totally not right to do that. And I think there was a shitstorm about how the Red Skins need to change their name because it was offensive in the same sort of stereotypical manner.

I find behavior like that to be insulting too. But Idk man, just not the same feeling for me. Wearing it once a year to make fun of it definitely isn't ok, but they aren't living a lie with it everyday like weeaboos do.

Did not mean that to be insulting. I know Irish as red hair and Black Irish as dark hair. Please correct me if this terminology is incorrect or racist.

I have also dyed my hair blonde before. I was not trying to assimilate to America culture more. It was just trendy to do so in high school.

I have also worn blue, purple, grey, and lighter brown contacts. It was just for fun.
>>
>>8775286
Ever heard of anglophiles or francophiles? It's been around longer.
>>
>>8746680
oh my fucking god anon i feel you so hard.
I wasn't that big of a weeb but my middle school and early highschool was this amazing blend of gamecube games, gaia, a store we had downtown with japanese merch and snacks, sleepovers, watching random anime, lord of the rings, hoarding whatever kawaii /colorful stuff we could get our hands on to wear or decorate our rooms with, and this amazing free fruits basket meetup the library had where they handed our 3 volumes and pocky every time.. all with my best friend who has turned into a big bitch and we aren't really speaking right now ;-;
>>
>>8775549
There was a Danish guy who caught a hardcore obsession with Islamic culture and joined ISIS. That sounds pretty extreme.
>>
>>8775594
Ok, yes. I definitely can see the separation there. I have just heard of a lot of weeaboos who went into extreme behaviors. I understand not all weeaboos are like that. I am just concerned with the crazier ones because it's just so extreme, and I have just never seen anything like that before for another culture obsesser.

>>8775595
Idk the extent to which the Asian celebrities that changed their look are shit upon in Asia. Maybe they are more accepting of it there or even encouraged?

Katy Perry got shit for performing in a kimono and having "geisha" girl back up dancers. Something something appropriation/stereotype/cliche.
>>
>>8775599
I'd forgotten about her! Good to see she's looking a lot healthier, I was scouting her blog out a few years ago when I was pushing fashion crap for an agency and remember thinking there was no way she still had enough muscle tone to walk in heels and carry a handbag at the same time.
>>
>>8746515
wat means it? it seems all of you here still love all this jap stuff so u r still weebs. idiots.
>>
File: img_1450811854065.gif (968 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
img_1450811854065.gif
968 KB, 500x200
>>8777356
Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.