[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your guys opinons on buying cosplay?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 808870630_6826ac0240_b.jpg (327 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
808870630_6826ac0240_b.jpg
327 KB, 1024x576
What are your guys opinons on buying cosplay?
>>
boring topic

no one cares as long as you don't lie about it
>>
>>8733734
/thread
>>
Let me give you a run-down of how this thread will go
> buying your cosplay is fine as long as you don't lie about it
> I buy my cosplay because I'm not talented at crafting and obviously don't know that no one is born talented!
> Buying is lazy, craftsmanship is superior cosplay type because I am an elitist
> buying your cosplay is fine as long as you don't lie about it
> Buying and making has the same value!!11! WHAT DO YOU MEAN MY EBAY COSPLAY IS SHIT??!!1!
>>
>>8733732
I buy cosplay and I really don't care.
>>
>>8733732
I have to buy, but only because I have an injury which prevents me from sewing. I do what I can though in terms of crafting accessories and sprucing up the outfit to make it look more interesting though.
>>
Well, i word 12 hours a day, and only free time i have is on weekends, so i really have no time to sew or make stuff. I have money to buy it, so i see no problem with that.

Also, i never say "yeah, this is mine" - which brings us to >>8733738
>>
99% of the times I make my cosplays. I'm a professional seamstress so it's no biggie.
But the 1% is seifukus and other really simple cosplays. It's not worth making school uniforms from scratch. It's way more expensive and time consuming. I feel it's not worth it.
>>
I make most of my costumes by hand. I do buy pieces when I need something really simple, like a t-shirt. I also buy when I'm in a group and all our costumes need to match, like a school uniform or something. I don't mind when people buy, as long as they're honest about having not made it.
>>
I make most of my cosplay, but I have a few I bought and I've had people be rude to me when I say I bought them. Like another anon said I usually buy seifuku cause it's not always worth the effort/money for fabric. I had someone scoff at me when I said I've bought my cosplay at a con. I really dislike that kind of elitism, and have a hard time reacting to it in person. I don't think anyone should lie but I can see why people feel bad for not making their own cosplay, when there are people that think they are better than other cosplayers because they can make nerdy outfits by hand. I love sewing, it doesn't make me better than anyone.
>>
I'm really tired of making cosplays and just want to run around like its Halloween at this point, so I think I'm going to start buying them.

I used to dislike people who bought theirs and got tons of attention while people who made theirs don't get nearly as much. But I now understand wanting to just buy one and have fun as a character for a while. I don't enjoy sewing that much anymore either. I just like dressing up.
>>
>>8735782
I'm also going through this. I do not enjoy sewing anymore. I have 2 unfinished projects and I do not even try to get behind the sewing machine at all.
>>
I've only ever bought my costumes, I don't have the skill to craft them myself. I also don't have the time.

I ordered most through eBay, and one through an actual cosplay shop, and it's amazing quality I was completely blown away.

I'm in the process of having one commissioned as well, and I assured her I would give her full credit on all my platforms when I post photos of it.
>>
>>8735782
>>8735803
You anons are me. Feels like we're getting old, doesn't it?
>>
if a person buys costumes he/she shouldn't call themselves cosplayers. they should call themselves cosplay models because they do nothing except put on a damn costume without putting any effort into actual cosplay.cosplay is more than just taking pictures in costumes. the real magic happens when you make your own costume by yourself :)
lol shitty eng forgive me i'm a fag i know
>>
>>8738317
Gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>8735782
Same here. I got into lolita because I was tired of making costumes, and I just wanted to dress up at cons (but then that overtook everything). I keep wanting to get back into cosplay but I think at this point I may just buy rather than make most of the time, or at least buy the more complicated parts and sew the simpler things.
>>
I order my cosplays from Taobao, because I am lazy and I am not interested of any competitions.
>>
As long as you don't try to compete with it, I don't care.
>>
>>8738317
Nice bait, you really are a faggot.
>>
>>8733732
Nothing wrong with buying cosplay. Not everyone can sew. As long as the person doesn't lie and say they made it then there's really no issue.
>>
I buy some costumes and I make some.

Bought cosplays don't always fit me as nicely, and sometimes the fabric is on the cheap side. I bought this schoolgirl outfit because it was cheap, and the fabric was so thin, that my bra outline would always show through it.

I only buy cosplays that are cheap and are more forgiving when it comes to fit. If it's a character that I just want to do a photoshoot in, but not slave over for a week, then I'll buy it and sell it after I wear it.
>>
>>8735782
>>8735803
>>8735972
I'm not alone! I've been sewing my own cosplays for 9 years now, I'm getting burnt out. It seems more fun to just have a completed cosplay come in the mail now.
>>
>>8733732
I only buy cosplays if I know I'm going to fuck it up trying to make it myself.
>>
File: low quality bait.jpg (18 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
low quality bait.jpg
18 KB, 600x600
>>8738317
>>
>>8733732
I buy cosplays because I can't sew yet.

I hate to admit, but I've always wanted to participate in masquerades because I love to perform, but so far they only allow performers who sew their cosplays...
>>
I prefer to make mine but I buy when I don't have enough time to make / when I need a specific print / when it's llsif.
>>
Buying is fine, so long you don't take credit for the work.

That said, buying does not automatically makes you look fine. I have seen two person in the same costume purchased from the same shop, one looks horrible the other one looks good. The one that looks good actually bothers to put in extra details that make the costume pop, she also ensures that the costume fits her well (whether it's self-altering or commissioning a tailor) So yeah, at the end of the day whether your costume is purchased or self-made, efforts are still needed to look good in it.
>>
>>8750208
This.
I have bought costumes before but even then I still compare it to reference images and alter details that are lacking or wrong. I tailor it myself and remake accessories that come with the costume if they look too cheap. Got tons of compliments on those costumes and many people almost couldn't believe that I didn't make it myself.

A cheap ebay costume can still look amazing as long as you're willing to work on it to make it look right.
>>
>>8735782

i spent a few years trying to learn to sew and just... couldn't (shouts out to >>8735262 feel this a lot), and i got sick of looking like a poorfag next to all my decent-cosplayer friends

it's super exciting waiting for things to come in the mail and the suspense of not knowing whether or not it's gonna look like total shit or not is fun too

if i ever end up not being a poorfag i'll probably get into commissioning people and shit honestly. so many gulls and other people are such amazing craftsters and it'd feel kinda nice to pay it forward rather than getting ebay shit
>>
I've both bough and 'made' (aka used the sewing machine with my mother hovering over me telling me I'm doing it wrong with her ultimately taking it out of my hands and finishing what would have taken me a week in half a day, kek) costumes. I feel a closer attachment to those I've made, obviously, but I tend to prefer bought ones. It's easier in the long run, and I don't stress out as much.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.