[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Feathers!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
I'm looking for a good source for feathers.

Specifically black feathers, to create something like pic related.

If possible, I'd like naturally black (not dyed) feathers, to keep the iridescent look.

What I've found is that "pointer" feathers and longer types are pretty easy to find, but the plumage that would cover most of the mask is a bit harder to find. And most of the options out there are dyed turkey feathers.
>>
>>8720194
That mask is trimmed turkey flats on the forehead and around the eyes and rooster saddle/hackle/tail feathers on the neck. If you must have iridescent feathers for the small feathers, you can find freeze-dried hen skins sold for fly tying, you'll have to pluck the feathers and they'll be out of scale with a human-sized mask.
>>
a very long time ago when i was a young weeb and my parents took my to cons, i ran into a girl at katsucon who was that guy from dnangel whose name i can't remember right now. she had a huge, amazing, pair of black wings. my dad was talking to her about them and apparently she made them from turkey feathers, and made sure to only use right feathers on the right wing and left feathers on the left wing since there is a difference
i was going somewhere with this but now i can't remember
>>
>>8720560
Doesn't everyone use only right feathers on the right wing and left feathers on the left wing?

I always spend a shit ton of time separating mine. I can't even understand how could someone not separate them, they have a very obvious lean to a side and it looks pretty weird mixed up
>>
>>8720490
Thank you!
>>
>>8720194
rainbowfeatherco.com. you can email them to ask if their black feathers are natural or dyed.

I've made 2 giant pairs of wings using turkey feathers from this site - they're great. I even visited their shop in vegas.
>>
How about the thin feathers on the beak?

They're called "rictal bristles" but it looks like the maskmaker used ostrich feathers or something like that.
>>
Making a small pair of angel wings for Sakura from CSS. What type of feather should I use? I've never made a pair of wings before.
>>
>>8720762
Pretty sure that's horsehair. Ostrich feathers are much fluffier than that.

>>8720814
http://www.paper-wings.org/tutorials/wings/wings.html
Substitute the copper tubing and chicken wire for armature wire and plastic canvas.
>>
OP back again--

Next thing I'm stumped on is the eyes. Any suggestions? I figured they're glass taxidermy eyes, but suppliers seem to top out at 24mm, which seems a little small.
>>
>>8723425
You could always resin cast some yourself if you need a specific size. If you pour the resin in layers or paint the back, you can get it to look like an eye.
>>
>>8723428
Not a bad idea, but I'm afraid I'd have to go all out with a vacuum chamber and whatnot to get the kind of clarity I want. It may add more time to the build than I can afford.
>>
>>8723425
google "furry costume eyes". they have much bigger lenses and seem willing to cast in whatever size you want
>>
>>8723487
Aw shit... I just ordered some glass blanks that were way more expensive. I'll try to cancel the order.

Thanks for the tip anyways.
>>
>>8720560
D.N.Angel had some really great wings on its cosplayers back in the day.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.