[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've noticed a lot of newbies in my comm have an intense
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: Kira.Imai.full.1091026.jpg (249 KB, 800x1131) Image search: [Google]
Kira.Imai.full.1091026.jpg
249 KB, 800x1131
I've noticed a lot of newbies in my comm have an intense fascination with the old school days and massive tendancy to romantacize the shit out of it, or have lots of crazy misconceptions about it, like that everyone was completely ita and the major brands never put out anything that wasn't hideous. I'm wondering how common this is among people who didn't get into Lolita until 2010 or later? When did you get in the fashion and what's your take on old school? Any questions about that time for oldfags?
>>
I think people who have been in the fashion forever are giving themselves too much credit.

People were definitely itas in the west back then. Prints from brands were pretty ugly, or they were plain (black and white, pink and white). The style was much more of an experiment then so people tried all kinds shapes and color combos and whatever that looked pretty bad.

I think people talking about "old school" style these days are using their current lolita knowledge to make old school better than it was.
>>
>>8715329
I was about 11years old when i discovered ""lolita"" off course i had nothing lolita in my closet until this year (am 20) when i left my parents house, they were against lolita (and homophobic at that, i have a girlfriend, we now live together). And i kinda discovered lolita when it was still way simpler than it is now where everything tends to be kiiinda...over the top? This is the lolita i fell in love with, so when i see old kera snaps and such (i had a few,and gothic lolita bibles, my parents didn't mind books and such, i would religiously read them, and try to wear clothes as near from lolita as i was allowed to) i just feel so happy and warm. I wasn't truly mature before 16 where i had a real take on lolita despite not being able to have any outfit or whatever (i managed to sneak a cutsew and bow, i was oh so happy)
>>
>>8715329
Just plop some old Bibles in front of them, end of story. That's what was available, styled as well as it could be (models) and realistically (street snaps). But to be fair, I still think old school is pretty cool and wear everyday coords that are pretty close to it. My first bible was no7. I bought it when it came out so I've been around a while. I enjoy the ott coords of the current time too though.
>>
I tend to romanticize it in that there wasn't all this comm and meetup nonsense and the focus was on the fashion and aesthetics of it. All this gathering together kind of tends to minimize the individual feelings about being Lolita. I think the Japanese don't clump together in these comms and online groups so much, just small groups of a few girls meeting here and there unless there is a big event.
>>
>>8715387
The thing with huge comma and meets is that it puts more pressure on girls not to be ita. You'll notice Japanese lolitas are way more it a as a whole than Western ones because they care a lot less.
>>
I bought my first brand dress in 2005. I guess I liked how everyone seemed more connected on Livejournal? You could have real conversations on it.

I don't know if there are necessarily any more or less itas today than there used to be. There used to be more of a connection with visual kei, so I think the girls in the weirder coordinates in street snaps were probably band girls first and lolitas second.

>>8715349
Sweet maybe took some time to improve (Puppet Circus probably kicked off the AP explosion, though I could be wrong since I wasn't interested in them). There were girls who wore classic and gothic very well, though. A lot of the badness came from people using "loli-ables" instead of importing.
>>
>>8715349
>Prints from brands were pretty ugly, or they were plain (black and white, pink and white)
You either have shit-tier taste or you've seen very few early prints, anon. Some of the earlier printed dresses are the best.
>>
>>8715329
I've seen more newbs romanticize what we were like than our looks honestly. Lots of "Everyone was so much nicer back in the old school days uguu~!" like no. We've always been assholes. Only difference is nowadays everyone is obsessed with ~le cyburr bullying~ and make a bigger deal out of it than it really is.
>>
>>8715500
We had an entire lolita-specific version of encyclopedia dramatica, get off egl, lolita fucks, and cgl was meaner. Not to mention the original secrets site was meaner and less censored.
>>
>>8715500
This so hard. This day and age you can't even tell a girl in a Hot Topic Holloween costume that she's not Lolita, or suggest to a hamplanet bursting out of AP that's 15cm too small for her bust that she should wear things that fit her without being labeled an elitist cunt, even if you sugarcoat it in the sweetest way humanly possible. Back then, people didn't word shit nicely, they bluntly told you that you looked horrible and why. Loli Secrets also made BtB look like a hugbox. It didn't matter if a person was dead, they were still free game like anyone else. It was also way more of a popularity contest and anyone with the slightest bit of efame got their own harem of jealous fatties, no matter how chill they were. Not to mention, this was long before /cgl/ banned drama, so this board was essentially just used by the community for the sake of talking shit about people.

Bitches these days seriously have no idea how good they have it compared to back in the day.
>>
>>8715522
>>8715556
Let's not forget Loli Vendettas was a thing, too
>>
I got into lolita in 2012, but I'd loosely followed it for a very long time, early 2000's. I found out about it in old Fruits magazines around 2002 or so. I do remember checking up on brand websites, particularly Meta back around maybe 2006-2008. But I never really got into it. I had friends who were into it though. I was never that interested in old school styles at the time. Part of it was the cost and my extra money was being funneled into cosplay anyway. It just didn't appeal to me then. Now that I've been into lolita for a few years, I've begun to appreciate old school styles a lot more. I'd like to own more older pieces that focus more on detail and construction than just the prints. I'll admit though, I'm a print collector, and I got into lolita because I loved specific prints. But I've found these older pieces are especially beautiful and less loud than prints can be, making them more wearable everyday.
>>
>>8715556
>>8715522

Man you guys make me wish I was around back then
>>
>>8715853
Shit got off topic so fast but the dramu was delicous. Moot even changed the board name to /drama/ with the caption "I heard she bought 50 dicks off ebay and sucked them all"
>>
>>8715853
As nostalgic as I get over those times, I kind of prefer the way things are now. Sure, I very much wish people handled criticism better over all, but the hostility of the olden days was honestly pretty outrageous and I probably would have left the online community long ago if things were still the way they were. The bitchiness was far past the point of just straight up being ~*~edgy~*~ and often got quiet obnoxious. People would just jump on each other and start 50 comment wars over shit like someone saying they didn't like a new release, the substyles had this idiotic feud with each other, especially gothic and sweet, random vendetta bullshit always came up that was usually not even entertaining, and it was more or less socially acceptable to cyber stalk people you admired.
>>
>>8715861
is that where that comes from?
>>
I'm surprised I see so much nostalgia for ~life style lolita~ and princess skye or w/e her name was. Most of the people I knew on LJ around that time thought life stylers were weirdos and princess portal was annoying. I remember more people making fun of people trying to do the life style lolita thing ( that pic of unseelie alure or w/e trying to run on a treadmill with heels and a corset on for example) than pursuing it seriously.
>>
>>8716411
It was pretty fabulous but then we got our current Janitor-chan, the jealous fatty
>>
>>8716422
I think a lot of the nostalgia might be coming from girls who were young and didn't have the money to dress up yet. The lifestyle message is really appealing for girls who can't go full lolita.

I mean, we had lifestyle lists that you can still find on LJ, but agreed, most people thought they were weird or compensating.
>>
Maybe not completely old school, but I find it hilarious that there was a "stoner lolita" livejournal.
>>
>>8717635
there was also a bdsm lolita comm lol
>>
>>8715399
I look at the street snaps every month and they don look more ita to me, they look moe cool and unique and less cookie cutter. Like it's still fashion there instead of just a pissing contest. Also they aren't afraid of still adding the hard goth and personal touches and still calling it Lolita. I think Lolita in the West is devolving into just a fashion competitio., serving the group more and the individual less due to all this comm mentality.
>>
>>8715556
I miss the honesty. I was just an onlooker in those days and wisely just kept lurker and learned but all the asspatting in groups meant for concrit just make things mediocre. Sure in these days, require politeness for a concrit but should require honesty too.
>>
>>8715922
Same. I never bought any dresses back then because all the discission about coords here was limited to calling girls fat/ ugly. Nothing was constructive about it. The fashion was more pure, but the community sucked
>>
>>8716422
>>8717012
I've always been a lifestyler, but I also always considered owning Lolita to be the #1 most important aspect of living said lifestyle and can't for the life of me get how someone could seriously call themselves a "lifestyle Lolita" without actually owning any. I thought this even before I got my first dress. It makes absolutely no sense to me.
>>
>>8717755
You realize they don't take photos of the girls that look like shit, right?
>>
>>8719523
Did you not read the post anon was replying to?
>>
>>8719523
...anon was talking about lolitas, that would be considered its by /cgl/'s standards, being praised into eternity on japanese streetsnap sites by fellow jap lolis.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.