[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Con age limit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: 1446427931741.jpg (59 KB, 588x588) Image search: [Google]
1446427931741.jpg
59 KB, 588x588
At what point will we have to forefeit going to conventions based on age? I know that I sometimes see people and think "well damn, you're a bit old to be here aintcha?" but I never really thought about what age that was, exactly.
Or, do you think that anime conventions will just start getting older as time goes on, like star trek cons did?
>>
>>8714149
You stop going to cons when they don't interest you anymore, it has nothing to do with your age.
>>
>>8714149
Just don't be a creep. There's this elderly couple who I've seen attending east coast cons multiple times and they're cute
Sage for dumb thread
>>
>>8714149
cómic conventions seem to be the better for the elderly. it's like "hey I was a young comic fan when this and that series was starting", and that's what people want to hear at those conventions.
While at anime cons, the seniority thing just sounds like nostalgia faggetry "hue hue I watched all the original Dragon Ball as it came out, you fucking newbs".
>>
Cons will age up. There's plenty of non-anime cons that are already older, too - I'm thirty and attending Dragoncon is like being the baby all over again. But there's still a ton of older people in the con scene - who do you think runs them, college students?
>>
File: 1437850025182.png (103 KB, 500x546) Image search: [Google]
1437850025182.png
103 KB, 500x546
>>8714149
>>
>>8714158
> tfw lives in Ireland
> tfw practically all cons are college cons
>>
>>8714149
Never, you fucking prude
>>
>>8714149
Seconding >>8714379

Who do you think runs these cons? Who do you think makes the content that these cons are based around? There is no age limit. Just because teenagers run a muck at cons doesn't mean older people can't enjoy anime too. Go to any comic, scifi, or gaming con and the ages are skewed WAY older.

As long as you enjoy it, you keep going.
>>
OP confirmed for being a cruel, heartless witch to even think of turning away adorable old people from conventions.
>>
File: 1439057828050.jpg (457 KB, 1365x2048) Image search: [Google]
1439057828050.jpg
457 KB, 1365x2048
I'm pretty sure OP is one of those people who thinks real life works like anime and you're talented at whatever at 15, in charge of stuff by 19 and a grizzled veteran by 22.

It takes actual adults to organize these events, and most good cosplays are by adults since the skill takes time to develop, and it's far easier to fund a hobby with a real job.

This is like that "I wanna go into lolita but I already turned 20" thread the other day. You'd still need a fake ID to get in the club you a baby
>>
File: images-7.jpg (22 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
images-7.jpg
22 KB, 470x313
>>8714506
>saw image of the hatter and googled to see older cosplayers and found this
PERFECT!
Indeed. Old people go to cons too.
>OP is such a prude
Also who organises the guests which turn up to cons? Can't be teens now can it OP
>>
>>8714149

IDK. It's really easy to just plain ol' not associate with anybody under 25 (or whatever age range you prefer) when you go to them.

To me they're like a second Halloween where I can get drunk with friends and have the bonus of being able to lay hands on merch before buying it.

There is definitely new blood, but there is also a huge "aging nerd" demographic that no longer has their thumbs twisted about "growing up."
>>
>>8714149
No older than 18 tbqhwy
>>
>>8714149
I agree, people older than 25 should not enjoy or participate in cons. In fact, people who are over 25 and actually create/work on anime and video games or draw/write manga are just huge losers and all their works should be shunned. Only kids and young adults should draw or write. Everyone older should give up on silly fun things and just read the newspaper and play golf.
>>
>>8714149
Every time a youngling yaps like this, we plan another con meet-up in the bar. Problem solved!

Kidding aside, as long as everyone is nice, I like the mix of ages at cons. Preachy, over-protective parent attendees are pretty much a buzz-kill for everyone but otherwise, I like most people I meet!
>>
sage post am I banned yet

i had a bunch of posts deleted i wasn't even bullying

i guess no memes allowed
>>
>>8714551
This. It's like people think they're super old at 22 and start questioning whether they should do this stuff anymore when in reality they're still equal to teenagers in every sense.
>>
I don't mind older people, but there should be anime conventions where children under 16 aren't allowed, so you can dress up however you want without having to cling to any rules to not scare any children o that your costume has too less of fabric
>>
>>8718375
I'm 22 and it certainly already feels like I'm super old
>>
>>8718377
I think cons should just keep to the uniform dress code of 'what a triangle bikini covers' for all ages. That what everyone sees at any beach or pool.
>>
>>8714551
When will fat chicks learn it's obvious when they're tightlacing and they're fooling no one?
>>
>>8714935
This board is 18+, you can't be here.
>>
>>8718379
are you 22 and still having fun at conventions? if yes, keep going. if no, stop going.

hell being older at cons is better because you can do whatever the fuck you want. get your own room to yourself? fuck yeah. fly to a bunch of cons? sure. buy a bunch of stupid shit in the merch room? yup.

the only bad thing is battling work for days off if your job is stringent about that. mine is pretty good and i haven't been denied a convention yet.
>>
>>8718375
>>8718379
All this talk of getting older and I can't help but be reminded of the term 'Christmas Cake'. Not married by 25? Whelp, too old now! Who is actually frugal and buys a cake after Christmas? Not me!

I guess if you have a shitty diet, never exercise, or don't take care for your skin/hair well enough you'll look old at 25. I didn't start going to cons until I was 20 and I'm now 25 and get asked if I'm in high school quite a lot.

There's also no reason why older people can't be friends with younger and vice versa. That's been the norm for a long time so I don't know why suddenly everyone wants to segregate so much.
>>
>>8714582
>>8714506
I-I've never seen these before
Think I can die happy now that I know this is a thing
>>
>>8718657
I've made friendswith much older anime fans and it really just depends on the person. Like for example I had a lady 12 years my senior and a guy at least 20 years older. The guy was a super nice photographer, the lady turned out to be a narcissistic nutbag.
>>
>>8718379
I recently turned 22 as well, but I still wear lolita and go to conventions. I'm friends with a cosplayer who's 29 and married, has a full-time job, and wears sweet lolita in her off time. I think it's more fun to be older because you have more disposable income, don't live at home, can drink and party if you want, etc. Just do what you like.
>>
Whenever you lose interest? I suspect at some point you may just find yourself not knowing anything about the current stuff and feeling like you can't relate to the current people attending cons but like everyone else has said I've seen plenty of older folks at cons. Some conventions are definitely geared more towards younger people but in general I think as long as you interact appropriately with the people around you you're good. It might be inevitable for some randos to label you as the "creepy old person" but as long as you are careful not to do anything creepy to warrant that I don't see the problem; some people are definitely interested in hearing from older fans.

>>8714551
This, a lot of the really nice cosplays I see are from older adults who both a.) have steady jobs so they can put more money into it b.) have had more time to refine their skill or hopefully more smarts to figure out how to make a higher quality product. This isn't always the case I know, but this is what I tend to see with older cosplayers - just an overall better looking product.

I still will never understand girls who are in their 20's and ask if they are too old. Look at how expensive these dresses are - what *average* 15-17 year old can regularly afford a $300 dress? (plus another a few hundred for how much the rest of the outfit will cost) Granted maybe I can see how someone would think that way since the fashion is pretty youthful (especially sweet lolita) but I dunno....you would think from taking a glance at cgl they would've seen some maturer styles/takes on lolita. People are weird.
>>
I'm 26 and feel far less comfortable at anime cons these days. I have less patience for screaming teenagers, I suppose, and have trouble making new friends in those events; it's a feeling that's been growing for a couple years now. So I attend far more comic and video game cons these days, have a great time, and don't feel out of place at all. But someday, I might. When that feeling comes, I may stop going like I've mostly stopped attending anime cons.

I have a friend who's in his mid-thirties who only just this year decided that maybe he's starting to have less fun at anime cons, due in part to his age. It varies from person to person, but as others have said, just go until it's no longer fun to you.
>>
>>
>>8714149
When you stop breathing.

I love seeing 40-and-ups at cons.
>>
>>8720473
Most of the 40 and ups are the ones who run the anime conventions. It is not unusual to see a head of gray hair on a con runner, and yes, it is cool because they are still hip to the new stuff while telling me stories how horrible it was to get anime in the 60's and 70's.
>>
File: thmbs up.jpg (46 KB, 798x809) Image search: [Google]
thmbs up.jpg
46 KB, 798x809
>>8714149
there is no con age limit. you stop going when you dont wanna go anymore.
>>
/cgl/ takes the b8 for the thousandth time. Girls are stupid.

But I find it funny when attendees worry about being too old, while a lot of the guests of honor are up to their 40s and 50s.
>>
>>8714149
Dear Clueless, it's a memorabilia and nostalgia business event. Who do you think pays for everything so that little self entitled shits like you can run amok in your costumes and play dress up while buying nothing and splitting a bottle of water between 4 people? :) Have a day.
>>
>>8721617
^^^^^^ this

Anime cons are getting old too. Otakon is over 30 years old now, so you've got people who were teenagers and 20-somethings in the 80s who are still running and attending it, and they're some of the most active and wonderful fans.

The idea that you age out of cons or cosplay or whatever is pretentious bullshit.
>>
I'll be 34 this year and I've been attending conventions since 2001. I have no intention of stopping any time soon. Most of the time I'm vending in artist alley or dealer room or staffing. I still go to conventions to hang with friends and have a good time, buy merch, and be a silly nerd. The only difference from 20 to 34 has been my ability to stay up all night. I'm in bed by 1am at the latest anymore. Can't do that 0-3 hours sleep at the con thing these days.
>>
File: 1438338312564.jpg (27 KB, 400x384) Image search: [Google]
1438338312564.jpg
27 KB, 400x384
>>8723339

I hear that. Pushing 30 now and that all those nights of awkward hangouts pale in fun when compared to a comfy bed. My bed, with possibly my GF, no one else. Shit is cash when you get older. No Mexi-packing thanks.
>>
>>8718667
That's the Howl cosplayer's grandmother. There's a series of photos they did together. It was so sweet.
>>
>>8718375
Lmao I hate this. I used to think this way and now that I am 27 and just got into lolita this year, I realize that I'm really /not/ old at all. It helps that most people in my comm are in their mid 20s to early 30s. But yeah...sometimes I feel younger now than I did as a depressed 21 year old.
>>
I know a lot of lolitas who are still going strong and they're nearing the 30-35 realm. They're all still happily going to events and hanging out and buying brand just like they always did.

I do know one woman who just turned 29 and she still has like an ultra cutesy room, which I think is off putting, but other than that, there's really not much of an age limit.
>>
>>8714149
That pic isn't an oldie falling out of a mobility scooter though, it's a fat arse falling out of a mobility scooter
>>
>>8718377
Kitacon in the UK is like this, of course there were under 16s in the forum crying about the unfairness
>>
>>8714149
Stop going to anime cons. Anime is created, marketed and designed largely for teenagers.

Things like PAX, Comic Con, Dragon Con, etc. are attended by almost nothing but adults in their 20s/30s/40s+
>>
The responsibility changes really. You go from being the eager congoer to being the one who is gonna be responsible for guiding the new blood through the hobby and actually brainstorming events. I am already giving advice to newbies to maid cafes so they have a fun time but not leave a poor impression on the maids. Watching the high school kids go to a maid cafe makes me wish I had the same guidance on not being an asshat
>>
>>8725540
more young folks would go to comic con if they could anymore. nowadays, even forgetting needing the luck to get a badge, it's $200 for a badge, $200-300 a night for a room. no longer accessible like it used to be.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.