[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cosplay ebooks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Cover_original.jpg (442 KB, 827x1170) Image search: [Google]
Cover_original.jpg
442 KB, 827x1170
We all know prop makers make a lot of money with ebooks, but how to they protect their content?
Every ebook on propmaking I read so far didn't have any disclaimer regarding protection of their original content and ideas.
Is it even protectable? What is keeping other people from just copying it and selling books with their content as their own?
I'm wondering because recently, that one person from my cosplay comm is starting to sell their own horrible ebook with content of a rather famous prop maker and it's basically just a translation in their own language, they didn't even change the title. Is it really just bad manners or legally debatable?

Pic unrelated, Kamui made her own translation
>>
They can't protect shit if they aren't patenting it, and in order for them to patent it it needs to be innovative and new. Just because cosplayers figured out how to do it on their own though is nothing, since professional prop and costume builders have been doing it already. It's protected as much as any ebook is without the author getting it copyrighted by a legit agency. If you don't get a copyright filed, you can't sue for lost profits or punitive damages.
>>
>>8713307
Oh don't worry, it was already plagiarized by Kamui so your comm is just recycling the same plagiarized material Kamui googled and claimed as her own
>>
>>8713307
Common ways of production are not protectable.
>>
>>8713307
there's really no point at all in charging for ebooks. i know in my circle one person bought them (as in, all 5 of kamuis books) and just sends them to everyone through skype or w/e. they must've passed it on at least a good 15+ times now. the books dont really include anything you can't see on her site/on youtube anyways. its kind of a waste of money, but maybe at most a good place for "inspiration". they're hardly tutorials though. its just "examples". i figured out how to use LEDs on my own just by fucking with flash lights, but, when I tried with her LED book it was awful confusing.
>>
Anyone have these PDFs?
>>
>>8714527
To be fair though, Kamui also mentions they are the same as on her Youtube videos, but some people need the ebook for whatever reason. She just compiled it because people kept email her about it
>>
I'm really interested on those ebooks tutorial about weathering and painting, from other prop makers, not the shitty one from Kamui.
Anyone can tell me if they are good?
>>
>>8715953
I love the foamsmithing triology and also WM armory's prop painting book. Both have a really entertaining writing style too.

Lighting's book on horns is interesting and well-written as well, but not as much fun to read.
>>
>>8717039
Thank you! I saw WD's books and I was interested.

I'm looking forward for the English version of Lightning's casting and molding actually, never bought a book from her but I'm pretty sure that it will be good enough for me.
I know that I can search for both book's content over the internet, but they seem pretty well written and informative.
>>
So.... is anyone to post some link or what?
>>
>>8717683
No one answered the first time, So I'll answer you now.

No PDF for you.
>>
no protections but everyone is too much of a moralfag to actually upload the pdfs.

so in a way, thats their way of protecting their stuff.
>>
File: foamshit.jpg (2 MB, 1999x1489) Image search: [Google]
foamshit.jpg
2 MB, 1999x1489
I was more thinking of it that way: what if you basically just translate someone's ebook, don't even change the title, and claim it as your own?
>>
Reminder: Kamui is a bitch
>>
>>8722557
Wait what is this shit ?
>>
I lost all respect for kamui when she started hangin out with Yaya Han and then posted that book with a giant sticker that said "Armored boobies inside!"
She hardly posts progress or tutorials anymore after she figured out she can charge for everything.
Yaya taught her well in the ways of being a money-grubbing whore.

It's a shame that this is what the hobby has come to
>>
>>8722557
Your image is of two different books it seems, which don't even have the same name
>>
>>8726792
yeah, because I couldn't come up with any funny title, I'll just call it foamsmithing too, great idea
>>
I'll be annoyed if Kamui comes out with a foam prop/armor making book like she once said she wanted to.

Kamui, you know nothing about foam and barely use ever use it. Leave the foam books to other people.
>>
>>8726946

To add to this, we already have foam tutorials. I don't think she has anything else to add to them
>>
>>8726893
It's a craft, look at how many books are out there with Fishing, Cooking, and etc. in their titles

Look at the books overall names and they are different.
>>
>>8713562
>It's protected as much as any ebook is without the author getting it copyrighted by a legit agency. If you don't get a copyright filed, you can't sue for lost profits or punitive damages.

That is not how copyright works in the US. You don't have to file anything. Your work is copyrighted automatically.

>>8722557

That's a violation of the author's copyright. It's illegal. The main question is whether you'd get caught.
>>
>>8722557
2 different people, 2 different books, using the name "foamsmith"? Am I supposed to be offended? >>8728006
>That's a violation of the author's copyright
the word "foamsmith" is not copyrighted unless they chose to make it a giant part of their marketing campaign and chose to copyright it. This is just as benign as "wood worker" or "quilter". It really isn't a big deal at all
>>
>>8728011
still seems like a mayor dick move to take the title and declare it yours by selling your own books. At least the other prop makers have the decency to give it another title.
>>
>>8723173
Deets on her bitchiness?
>>
File: kamui book.jpg (89 KB, 734x960) Image search: [Google]
kamui book.jpg
89 KB, 734x960
Kamui has a new book out
>>
>>8729749
So what's next? "How to make shin armor", the book?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.