[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i want to see more like this- less costumey, more "real"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 13
i want to see more like this- less costumey, more "real" cosplays. where the dresses are intracate and the wigs are multi-toned and look more like real hair. is there a name for it? historically accurate? grounded?
>>
>>
>>8710929
>>
>>8710926
I'm torn, OP.
I like seeing some more realistic costumes sometimes, especially when done well/right but far too often people try to do this and just end up adding a bunch or unnecessary bling to make the gowns 'fancy' or 'real-life' instead of tackling the (more difficult) source material.
Examples I'm specifically put off by being the style popularized by homestuck's FancyTier bullshit and hoards of inaccurate disney princesses.

I find that the above groups typically do this so that they can stand out of a crowd special snowflake style too.

I tend to group this sort of thing with shitty steampunk versions, AU, etc.

tl;dr, I like OP's pics but all the other similar bullshit in the community has left a bad taste in my mouth.
>>
>>8710999

This. I've been forever turned off from "historically accurate" or "real life" cosplays because of the rush to do them in the ATLA cosplay scene. Ugly satin brocades from Joanns and some heavy linen-look polyester do not a pre-industrial Chinese garment make. I've seen some absolutely beautiful "historically accurate" Avatar outfits, but 99% of them are utter shit. Don't get me started on solid brocade Kiyoshi Warriors.
>>
File: belle.jpg (100 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
belle.jpg
100 KB, 480x720
>>8711028
>>8710999
i agree but i've learned to let myself chill out. though, thats probably just because i really love gaudy things anyway and its probably easier for me to turn a blind eye if they aren't entirely "historically accurate".
its just that, to me, a blank dress irl is more jarring than a gaudy one.

while were on disney princesses, does anyone have an ariel that looks young and isn't caked in makeup? i really hate the way the face characters for her look
>>
File: belle+cosplay[1].png (1 MB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
belle+cosplay[1].png
1 MB, 640x960
>>8711157
the bottom of this dress isnt really to my liking but the bodice and wig are great to me. the model is perfect for belle, too.
>>
>>8710999
>popularized by Homestuck
No, it was popularized by women who like drawing swirly shit and making intricate designs. I used to do it a lot as a kid. I remember fancirizing Disney dresses have been going on way before Homestuck.
>>
>>8711028
Sewing noob here, what is a solid brocade and any pics of these Kiyoshi Warrior cosplays? Sorry, it just sounds really interesting when people who understand historical costuming talk about things.
>>
File: tumblr_m7ufhh7SIJ1rbiippo1_1280.jpg (279 KB, 1280x788) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7ufhh7SIJ1rbiippo1_1280.jpg
279 KB, 1280x788
>>8711179
I kind of agree with you on the point that this has sort of always been a thing, but saying Homestuck made it popular in the cosplay community is still pretty accurate. Things like pic related got ridiculously popular on tumblr and everyone who was even slightly into the fandom sort of spread the idea of making mundane outfits "fancy" or "historical." It is something that had already been done before, but the popularity of Homestuck several years ago definitely had an influence on what this fad has become now.
>>
>>8711207

fucking mookie. has she learned how proportions and/or garment construction works yet?
>>
File: bellewinter.jpg (118 KB, 900x577) Image search: [Google]
bellewinter.jpg
118 KB, 900x577
I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, OP, but I've liked this one for a while.
>>
File: grid-cell-18861-1392696984-9.jpg (69 KB, 324x490) Image search: [Google]
grid-cell-18861-1392696984-9.jpg
69 KB, 324x490
>>8711228
nice. any full photo?
>>
>>8711157
>>8711159
I love her hair SO MUCH
>>
File: midna7.jpg (116 KB, 331x500) Image search: [Google]
midna7.jpg
116 KB, 331x500
I don't think OP is talking about historically accurate or blinged out things. I think they're talking about using blended wigs and varied materials. OP, there's no name for it because it's just a different approach to cosplay. It really depends on a person's preference: when you cosplay, are you trying to bring a character to life exactly as they look on paper? Or are you looking to replicate what a character would 'really' look like if they were human? This debate used to be huge with Sailor Moon cosplayers back when the only wigs available were either neon yellow or platinum blonde. It's still a thing with redheaded characters, whether to use cartoony red/orange wigs or natural redhead blends. I remember there being a lot of arguments about it back when Twilight Princess came out. (1/2)
>>
>>8711207
Not that anon but I would also disagree. People have been doing this shit in the comic book cosplay community for ages. Maybe it's only now popular with kids or something, but I would hesitate to say that Homestuck popularized it, period.
>>
>>8711228
perfect belle model

>>8711227
> taking accurate garment construction into shoujo dress designs on paper for a fantasy, fictional character.
lol what is artistic license and imagination?
>>
Once can be a good source of inspo for this type of cosplay.
>>
(2/2)
>>8711207
You must be really new to the cosplay community if you think Homestuck made that popular. People have been doing that in waves before Homestuck was even an idea, let alone a popular series. People have been doing fancy blinged out gowns with tons of trim tacked on since always. Before Homestuck, it was Sakizou, and before Sakizou, it was Amano. See picture...early 2000s, everyone was "Amano"izing every Final Fantasy costume by adding gems, lace, feathers etc.
>>8710999
I think the biggest problem with people making fancier costumes is that they focus on adding as much detail as possible and don't focus on good construction. So many shitty unboned Sakizou corsets and Disney gowns with hoops showing through the skirts. Like in >>8711228, the materials are nice but the sleeve was poorly patterned, the zigzag stitching on the bodice is all irregular and crooked, and you can see safety pins holding the cloak on. This would be an amazing costume if she had just done a solid mockup and taken time to actually sew good garments.
>>
>>8711187

By "solid" I meant that literally the entire costume was made with satin brocades of one color or another. People really like doing the Kiyoshi Warriors that way because they state in canon that the garments are made of silk (to symbolize strength), but silk satin is an extremely fragile fabric prone to snags and runs from just brushing against rough surfaces. Add the floated threads for the brocade designs and the fabric is a recipe for disaster in any kind of combat. Never mind the fact that it's just plain unrealistic that an isolated island fishing community without major industries or trade (and a giant fucking eel in the harbor that kills anything that gets too close) would be able to get their hands on the kind of wealth a dozen brocade uniforms for their warriors would require. Brocade was embroidered or woven by hand before the Jacquard loom was invented, that shit has always been historically expensive as fuck.

Head to toe brocade for the Earth King or Long Feng, that I can see. Go full Chinese Period Drama on that shit. Ba Sing Se is modeled after Qing Dynasty Beijing, and Earth King Kuei is modeled after the Xuantong Emperor. But head to toe expensive fragile fabrics for military uniforms is IMO kinda silly, never mind the people who do Water Tribe characters in head to toe brocade.
>>
This Aussie cosplayer did a really nice Briar Rose imo, she had embroidery on her corset and some really nice "realistic" small details.
>>
>>8711343
the wig looks fake.
>>
>>8711370
Wigs are typically fake, dingus.
>>
>>8711393
I think the other anon should've worded it better, but what i think they were trying to say was that the wig takes away from the more realistic take on Briar Rose. Like, it looks too much like a cosplay wig rather than the higher quality ones that don't look as shiny etc
>>
>>8711393
You obviously have never seen realistic looking wigs, dingus.
>>
>>8711343
This is very lovely, but the sleeves need to be ironed and I agree the wig could be better.
>>
>>8710926
I like it, I like to think of cosplay as an adaptation rather than a direct reproduction (at least for animated source material) So just like a character's costume would be changed if the source was adapted to a live-action film, I make the changes which will make it look good in the media I am executing it in.
>>
File: Rosafarrell.jpg (71 KB, 604x1000) Image search: [Google]
Rosafarrell.jpg
71 KB, 604x1000
>>8711249
>all that detail on rosa
>using socks and high heels
stings. the lace is shit too but mostly it's the sock/heel combo.
Either way I feel like this is different, because... that's an actual official art. I've never seen an "amano" version of a character who didn't have at least one piece of art by him.
>>
>>8711343
>Briar Rose
You mean Aurora? Who calls her this?
>>
>>8711635
People call her Briar Rose to differentiate her from her pink/blue princess ensemble. It's what her name was when she was wearing that outfit.
>>
>>8711396
I think part of the probelm about the wig is her eyebrows. If she shaded them a few shades lighter it wouldve looked more realistic. Also you can see a littttttle bit of dark hair above her right ear. If she hid her natural hair color better it wouldnt' be very bad at all imo
>>
>>8711275
I enjoyed reading this, anon. Not even being sarcastic.
>>
>>8711426
This was just her test run of everything
>>
>>8711228
>>8711343

Y'all some crazy nitpickers, I think these look fantastic. I also really like when cosplays look more like what a character might look like in "our" universe, but I still appreciate the one-for-one cartoonish looks, too...
>>
>>8711235

No, unfortunately. This is the only picture of this girl and her costume I've got. Sorry!
>>
>>8711207
what kills me about these designs is that the Derse and Prospit outfits are supposed to be pajamas, not ballgowns
>>
>>8710926
this looks sooo much better than the mangled-ink-cartridge magenta everyone else uses.
>>
>>8711028
What is wrong with linen-look? Honestly curious, I use that fabric all the time because it comes in huge variety of colors and finishes, from rustic to smooth, plain weave. I'm also allergic to wool (hives), so that cuts into the suitings I can use.
>>
>>8712446

There's nothing wrong with linen-look fabric. I love it, desu. The problem isn't the type of fabric, it's the mindset people get into when making "realistic" ATLA cosplay. The prevailing notion is "Oh I can just get some rough Chinese-y looking fabrics and make the entire outfit out of that". Very few people diversify beyond two, maybe three weaves. It's like when people make entire Amano cosplays out of printed quilter's cotton, or uniforms with flat colors out of solid color broadcloth.
>>
>>8711595
I saw Amano everything back in the day. That picture was one of the first results of Googling "amano cosplay" but I saw Amano-ized versions of basically every JRPG character. Mostly FF games that he didn't even do art for but some other random video game characters too. Point being that tacking on an obscene and unnecessary amount of detail has always been a thing in cosplay.
>>
>>8711239
I actually hate it when people pick strawberry/dirty blonde for Usagi's wig to make it more "realistic". I prefer to be true to the original source and use unrealistic colours, but slightly worn down. Like I wouldn't make Usagi's hair bright yellow either, but pick something that looks cartoonish but still on a "it could be real" level.

It all depends on the source. I like it when people translate bright colourful anime designs to real life while staying true to the cartoonish look.
>>
OP wants historically accurate and real. Posts Anna cosplay. Doesn't know what a bunad is
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.