[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moving to Austin just in time for Ikkicon. Anyone here been?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: ikkicon-logo16.png (170 KB, 851x254) Image search: [Google]
ikkicon-logo16.png
170 KB, 851x254
Moving to Austin just in time for Ikkicon. Anyone here been? How is it?
Also, in general, how is the Texas con scene? I'm coming from the DMV area, which I think has a decent number of good cons.
>>
Ikkicon is the epitome of average, its not the worst but its not the best. You should have a decent time.

Look into San Japan and AKon. San Japan is really great to attend and AKon is just the biggest Anime con in the area.
>>
File: 8.jpg (35 KB, 135x146) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
35 KB, 135x146
I personally enjoy Ikkicon. It's less crowded with decent panels and a nice dealer room. There's lots of great places to eat nearby and if it's after 10pm everybody's usually drunk (sometimes earlier than that lmao) I've always enjoyed it, but it's definitely one of those cons where the people you hang out with sort of make or break it.
>>
>>8709521
>it's definitely one of those cons where the people you hang out with sort of make or break it
Really? Because I'm not sure I'll be going with anyone. I'm moving to Austin for school, and I don't know many people there. Hopefully I can get my friend to come, but I'm not sure...
Is it an easy con to meet people?
>>
>>8709541
Are you cosplaying? I always find its easier to meet people when you are in costume. It's a visual common ground.
>>
>>8709577
I'm not sure yet. I'm leaning towards it now, though.
>>
>>8709616
Definitely cosplay. I'm pretty new to Austin myself, and it's been pretty easy to meet people at cons through cosplay.
>>
>>8709541
I'll also be going if you want to meet up.
>>
Tx has nothing on the DMV con scene. The only ones comparable are AM and Akon, maybe San Japan too.

Ikkicon itself is an average con, there's not much to do at the con itself. Cosplay is usually the big interest in of the con but they have a fashion track now so idk how that'll pan out.
>>
>>8709236
Ikki is average, but fun
Anime Matsuri and Akon if you are looking for large cons.
Be Warned, nothing at AM is ever on time, and I've lost faith in it, so to each their own.

Plus I've just said fuck it, and instead of going to a bunch of small cons, I save my money and go to AXP.
>>
>>8709855
That would be cool. My email's in the field.
>>
Ikkicon is a lot of fun to me, but then again I go to cons to bum around in costumes with friends for three days, not to actually go to panels or anything (AFest 2014 being pretty much the only exception because of Space Dandy). It's worth going for a day at least, ideally in cosplay.

That said, I'm a bit worried about the new venue. I live real close to the area, and while it'll be nice to have places to eat that aren't overpriced because lol close to 6th Street, I'm pretty sure that the Renaissance is a smaller hotel than the Hilton is by a long shot. The last time I was there was well over a decade ago for a school function, but if I'm not mistaken most of their "convention" area is downstairs in the hotel's basement levels, so I'm worried it'll end up feeling a bit cramped. The lobby is nice and open at least.

Also, feel free to ignore the "Free Parking!" they keep advertising, because I absolutely guarantee what little parking there is in the Arboretum will disappear by Friday afternoon and stay that way until Sunday night. Ikkicon has filled the Austin Convention Center parking garage to capacity every year I can remember, and the Renaissance has a similarly-sized garage attached, a second garage in the Arboretum, and a decent-sized lot, with no alternative parking beyond those two options. Get there early.
>>
>>8710062
>feeling a bit cramped

HAH. Be prepared to feel like sardines.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.