[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Walking in heels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10
File: g54h56j6h67h6h.jpg (37 KB, 645x614) Image search: [Google]
g54h56j6h67h6h.jpg
37 KB, 645x614
How to get good at it?
What's the highest you can comfortably walk in?

This is my achilles heel (no pun intended) and I was wondering how everyone else does.
>>
>How to get good at it?

Honestly, the best way is to keep at it. Try a thicker heel to begin with as they are more study so your ankles dont fall inward.
>What's the highest you can comfortably walk in?

I can walk in my 6 inches just fine - but in my secondary school, it was a uniform requirement to wear 1-4 inch heels for "ladyness" so I got used to it from the age of ~11
>>
>>8707411
Don't put the weight on the heel or you'll end up kissing the pavement, kind of balance your weight in the middle of your foot,if that makes sense. Just keep practicing and you'll be find.

A lot of my heels look like the ones in the pic, stupidly enough I struggle with small heels versus the super high ones.
>>
>>8707449
>find
fuck me. fine*
>>
>>8707443
>but in my secondary school, it was a uniform requirement to wear 1-4 inch heels for "ladyness" so I got used to it from the age of ~11
Did you literally go to princess school or something?
>>
>>8707443
>>8707449
Different anon here. Do you ever get used to the pain of heels if you experienced it? Is there anything you can actually do to try and combat pain or is it just a matter of getting used to it? When I walk in thick heels, even if they're high, I don't have that much pain if at all. It's only when I try heels that aren't really thick that the pain is pretty bad.
>>
>How to get good at it?
Practice. Definitely start with wide heels.

Depends on the platform. I can't handle more than a 4-5" difference in height, but 8" heels with a 3" platform are fine for short periods of time

>>8707460
>how to handle pain
I get pain eventually in most high heels, I categorise them between "fancy dinner with minimal walking" to "full night out with dancing and jumping around". Some heels are just really badly designed and will hurt no matter what you try, but for the most part I find inserts really useful to stop my feet slipping forward and also to reduce the impact of walking. I pad under the balls of my feet, arches and sometimes my heels as well.
>>
Practice. Put em on and strut around the house. And just remember that as tempting as it is to put the ball of your foot down first, its heel then toes. Much more natural walk and gets rid of the 'clompy' walk.

As far as pain goes its getting used to the arch the shoe puts your foot in, and making sure the shoe fits you well. Remember to balance your weight well and not put all of it back on your heels. And picking the right heels, some just arent going to kill your feet if you wear them all night dancing around and clubbing, no matter how used to them you are.

Final bit, just keep some advil in your purse/bag. I do for cosplay when the shoe is uncomfortable but I dont want to change them since it ruins the character.
>>
>>8707411
/fa/
>>
>>8707479
Ive been wearing heels for years and I never knew it was heel then toe.
thanks anon.
>>
Practice, practice, practice

I've walked around a 2 story mall for hours in 4 inch heels once after a state championship (heels were required)

It takes getting used to, heels aren't for everyone sadly though.
>>
>>8707486
Yeah. Some folks recommend going flat footed but it looks kinda funky. Heel toe is most balanced and looks the best, its just important to remember small steps. It takes a bit of practice, especially in super thin ones.
>>
>>8707411
whatever you do don't wear heels for long term usage or at all if you can do it at anime conventions. It's not worth it.
>>
>>8707514
This.
I'm normally fine with heels, I almost exclusively wear them for casual outings, but holy fuck I tried to wear heels for an entire con and my feet ended up bleeding and I had to wear slippers instead.
>>
>>8707494
Flat footed? Can you explain what this means?

Also is it true that heels help you with your legs and posture? I got shitty posture and have been trying to find ways to help me more straight in my posture.
>>
I am "flat footed". I grew up instinctively walking on my toes to alleviate pressure and unfortunately my rehab/training crap never took. Heels are significantly less painful over long distances than flats.

I can comfortably wear ~10" heels with a hell of a wide stride.

>Sorry, this isn't actually helpful.
>>
File: shoes255-2.jpg (193 KB, 700x1200) Image search: [Google]
shoes255-2.jpg
193 KB, 700x1200
As someone who is awful at wearing heels, I want to stress that the key is finding the most comfortable shoes. Let's be honest, as far as shoes go, most lolita shoes are awful, but there are some good ones. Pic related(Bodyline) is the honestly the best and most comfortable shoes I have found. I can wear this all day and my feet won't hurt, but they will definitely hurt after 3-4 hours in other shoes even with shorter and chunky heels. I have a terrible time in any other heels except these shoes, and I plan to buy ones in my size in every color when they restock.
As others have said start with thick heels, wear only for a short time (always have flats with you), put in comfortable insoles.

Also don't try to walk differently in them. I honestly don't know what >>8707449 anon is talking about but you should practice walking heel to toe in heels, not stepping flat or toe to heel. That is the most natural and best looking way to walk. If you step on your toes first or the whole foot you will look like you can't wear heels at all.
>>
>>8708043
Putting the whole foot down at once like a plank.

And not sure about heels improving your posture, I can see the argument? Actually one thing that improves posture is corsets. Like you dont need it on tight by any means, but they force your back straight.
>>
>>8707470
I would never pick anything that requires me to wear 8" heels. How is that even possible, jesus.
>>
I'm okay at it, but anything that's a skinny heel and over 2 inches will hurt my ankle. I don't know if I have a weak ankle or what, but high skinny heels after a few minutes of walking will have my ankle in pain. And if I go longer it can get to the point of feeling like it's going to give out on me.

But wide heels and wedges I do okay in.
>>
Who the fuck doesn't walk heel to toe??? That's how you're supposed to walk wtf
>>
>>8707524
Are you me? I literally had the exact same thing and ended up buying minecraft slippers cos my feet were bleeding
>>
Practice, OP. But always for a short amount of time! Don't wear heels if you know you'll be standing for 5+ hours, you'll just regret it.
Also, start with lower and thicker heels, maybe even those with a continiuos heel. Boots or shoes that cover the whole foot are also easier to walk in. And accept that you will probably fold over anyway, because the ground will be uneven.
>>
I really like high heels, but I'm a guy so I'd get shit for wearing them, so only secretly.

I found it pretty easy to learn to walk in them, as long as the ground is perfectly even.
>>
Any tips for walking in flatforms? Got my first pair the other day and didn't realize how hard they would be to walk in
>>
>>8708805
I feel your pain, they just make me feel so pretty.
>>
I started taking ballroom dance classes where you have to wear heels. Ballroom shoes usually have straps to keep them on, so all you have to focus on is balance. The fact that you're learning to dance, you have teachers there correcting your posture, how you stand, walk move, and helping you build leg and core strength ultimately makes it so you become very comfortable moving in heels.
>>
Never worn heels, they look so painful. I saw a girl wearing ones so steep that she couldn't walk. I don't know the word in English, trot, like a horse?
>>
>>8707453
Haha no, a girls grammar school so we had a very strict policy on uniform as we were "young ladies"

>>8707460

I believe that you do get used to the pain, or your feet maybe adapt to it - I personally now find it difficult and sometimes uncomfortable and painful to wear flat shoes as my feet are no longer used to them
>>
My mother and I were born with high arch feet so wearing heels have always been a breeze for me since I was little. I wore stilettos all day to a Star Trek Convention my senior year and only experienced pain in my calves from walking. I guess practice is the only way to really get used to them. My theatre class required us to dance in six inch heels so dancing and repeated walking(like you're going down a runway)would help a lot.
>>
>>8708979

If it's painful for you to wear flat shoes instead of heels, it sounds like pic might have happened to your muscles.
>>
I'm a total newbie at walking with heels. Last time I wore them (for dinner, we didn't walk overly much, perhaps 30-40 minutes total), I wore down the heel, as in, the plastic part under the actual heel. When I walk the heel always seems to land diagonally towards the ground, causing it to violently shift when i move my weight forward, hence scraping it against the ground and reducng it. Any of you seagulls know what I'm doing wrong? They're tall and sharp, but I really wish I would wear them outside of the bedroom...
>>
>>8709052
Ah yes, I've heard of that before - it's likely that that is the problem - it does feel like pulling from the back of my calf.
>>
>>8709052
omg i just saw this skimming but thank you anon, this explains a lot. ive been wearing heels everyday for years and recently had to wear sneakers due to a loss of feeling in my toes from wearing heels i shouldn't had for as long as i did, and ever since then my leg has been literally killing me.
>>
>>8707411
>How to get good at it?
definitely practice.
I can't walk in stilettos comfortably, I always feel wobbly, but I'm fine with 4-5 inches with thicker heels.

I actually prefer a small heel (1-2 inches) to flat shoes, complete flats are very uncomfortable to me, except for running shoes and other more "structured" flat shoes.
>>
File: heels.jpg (16 KB, 323x333) Image search: [Google]
heels.jpg
16 KB, 323x333
>>8707449
>A lot of my heels look like the ones in the pic
Is it bad I only have 1 pair of legit heels?
>>
File: images (1).jpg (4 KB, 201x178) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
4 KB, 201x178
>>8709069
I'm guessing when you walk you normally heel strike on quite an angle and possibly scuff your heels a bit, which is fine in flats but ruins heels. When you walk in heels, it's still a heel-toe walk but with the angle you heel strike with changed to accommodate the fact that you're perched on high heels
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (13 KB, 264x189) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
13 KB, 264x189
>>8709165
Are we posting our shoes now?
>>
>>8707460
Former pageant queen here.
Tape your outer three toes (pinkie toe and two toes closest to it) together with medical tape as tightly as comfortable. Supposedly the pressure of this blocks the main nerve in your foot from hurting or something, I don't know. But it definitely helps.
>>
>>8709165
>hurr look at me, and I speshul yet?
What would you like us to say, "yes, you're completely abnormal, here's a cookie"?
>>
>>8708432
>Boots or shoes that cover the whole foot are also easier to walk in
This. I like ankle boots and shit because you don't have to worry about your foot slipping out. It's not a huge problem, just one less thing to worry about.
>>
I have pretty much no arches and I have wide feet as well and I started getting better at wearing heels by starting with lower and wider shoes and working my way up from there.
Doing basic calf/lower leg stretches over time can help too, I used to be on a soccer team and it was easier to wear crazy shoes when I was working out those muscles on a regular basis.
If I'm going to be in heels for a long time or for a long period of walking at a convention, I normally will get some sort of insoles for them and will tape my toes together like another anon mentioned.
You can also choose to wear a costume with high heels to for day where you know you're going to be just going a photoshoot or sitting for panels and not walking as far, I have a couple pairs where this is pretty much what I do.
>>
>>8709186
I've heard of this, that it's a tactic drag queens use and all that. Tried it and ending up ripping the tape off because it was just pissing me off.
I guess I didn't do it right.
>>
>>8709251
Also, some other tricks/hints:
>If you get sore, stretch your feet and legs before it gets too bad. If you get to sit down don't just kick off your shoes, take them off and massage your feet/stretch. Especially helps to get the circulation going again in your toes if they're particularly high heels.
>Shoes with straps are easier to work with than shoes without. Lots of people clench their toes when they're trying to walk in heels with no strap/upper and that can strain feet and just generally make wearing them less comfortable.
>If you know a pair gives you blisters but you have to wear the shoes, put a bandaid on before you put the shoes on. Save yourself the pain in advance.
>Take a Motrin/Tylenol ahead of time
>>
>>8707411
Why is this a thread?
>>
>>8709539
because many japanese fashions involve high heels, just like they involved makeup and other shit we talk about here on this board
>>
>>8707411
>tfw 5"5
>tfw want to feel small,cute,petite
>scared of ANY heels and feel giant wearing them
>see really cute platforms or small lolita heels
>but i will feel so tall and unkawaii
What should i do gulls ;_;
>>
>>8709539
Not only this: >>8709561 but a lot of cosplays involve heels, and lo-and-behold: not everyone's used to wearing them regularly.
>>
>>8709579
stop using emoticons, that's what you should do.
>>
>>8709598
";_;" is often used on 4chan though. Are you new here?
>>
>>8707411
Was in a Rocky Horror cast for 7 years. Played Brad, Frank and riffraff. Walking in heals just takes practice. You have to learn to lead with your heal when you step at first and not try to tiptoe everywhere.

Shorter wider heals help but after 4 weeks I was wearing stilettos on stage without a problem. Also snug fit and ancle support will go a long way when learning.
>>
>>8709638
The first time I wore heals was as Brad though and it was hilarious. Shaky and tiptoe walking made it look perfect. But really you have to learn to step with a bit of confidence and trust your balance.
>>
>>8709579
There's more to being cute than just your height
>>
>>8709579

oh yeah at 5'5 you're just such a giant oh wow you must be taller than everyone you know. don't be such a dumb bitch, even in heels you wouldn't be anything beyond moderately tall unless you're wearing 6" heels.
>>
>>8707524
I wore heels all day at a con once. By the end of the night I said fuck it, took off my shoes, and tied plastic bags to my feet to walk in like a hobo because I had no other shoes and didn't want to walk around (especially walk down the sidewalk back to the car) in the white tights I had on.
>>
>>8709676
And forgot to add that I actually lost all feeling in one of my big toes for a few months after wearing those heels all day too the con. Couldn't feel anything with it, could only feel pressure. Thankfully the feeling has since came back and I guess it was some sort of temp nerve damage or something.
>>
>>8708162
It's kinda like wearing 5" heels, but with a platform. I won't wear shoes that high without an ankle strap though. What I like about most shoes that high is that a lot of them are designed to be worn by people who need to be actually able to walk in them - adult entertainers who dance in them etc. That means they're actually better balanced and more comfortable than a random $20 pair of 5" heels from a regular shoe store.

As for why, I like how they make my legs look and because I'm short, adding 8" only just makes me the same height as my partner.
>>
>All these gulls pretending they can walk like a model in heels
I don't buy it. I know I am just projecting my own failure here but not all of you can be THAT good at walking around in 6" heels. I mean c'mon!
>>
File: 1407921278223.gif (4 MB, 178x246) Image search: [Google]
1407921278223.gif
4 MB, 178x246
>>8709579
>smaller than 6'1
>complaining
>>
Easy, just avoid heels alltogether.
>>
>>8709579
Because of how your foot bends, the higher the heel, the less height it gives you. Like wearing 5" will only give you about 4" of height. I don't know the exact ratios, but yeah.

You should still be able to get away with 2-3inch heels with no problem. You'll still be small, since average male height in the US is 5'10" and probably the same in half of Europe and 6'+ in the other half.

>tfw 5'10"-5'11" and don't even give a shit about wearing 6" heels.
>>
>>8707485
/fa/ is full of men who don't know shit about walking in heels
are you fucking retarded?
>>
Believe it or not,higher heels are actually easier to walk in. I'm fine up to 4", 5" are iffy for me, and then I'm fine again at 6"-7". But yeah. Practice practice practice, and make sure the shoes fit. If they're too small they'll be uncomfortable and if they're too big your foot with slide around, making it hard to walk. Also, if you're flat-footed, I recommend buying stripper heels. Like seriously. You can get like 4" ones, so don't be scared. But stripper heels are made for people who are going to be in them for long periods of time and therefore have much more cushioned soles and better arch support than regular heels.
>>
>>8712677
Can you recommend some? Just saying "buy stripper heels" is a bit strange...
>>
>>8713450
Not that anon, but what's weird about it? Usually within the well known "stripper" brands they have a range of heels and platforms, and like any other pair of shoes you buy the ones that best suit the look you're going for. Brands like Ellie, Pleaser and Hustler have all been fine for me, but unless you're asking me for outfit advice I'm not going to necessarily recommend you a specific pair.
>>
>>8708052
I'm the same! Only I need heels that allow the ankle to be at the angle they should be and let the foot fold downward in a natural archy (more right-angled) shape than have the whole foot on a straight slope that encourages your toes to slide forward in shoes (and get crushed). I either need flat shoes with arch supports or really high heels with a pronounced arch but a small heel with a flat sloping sole (like a skalene triangle on its side) is just torture. I stand on my tiptoes in heels so much I can play DDR in them and not have them touch the pads
>>
Tips for stairs?
>>
>>8709683
Well I am always stubbing my toes so maybe that wouldn't be that bad for me :p
>>
>>8710384
I have skipped around a carpark drunk in 6" chunky heels with a 1.5" platform, but would never do anything like that in thinner heels. I tend to avoid outdoor walking in any of my thin heels and all heels over 6" - and if I absolutely need to go outside I am really careful about slopes and uneven grounds and look retarded. Inside on a floor or carpet is piss easy though, it's pain rather than balance that will make me walk weirdly.

>>8713492
Make sure both the heel and the front of the shoe are on the stair if possible, particularly when you're going down. Going up you can sometimes only manage on tiptoes if the stairs are really small
>>
>>8713466
I was asking specifically because I don't know the well known stripper brands. I am sure not everyone does..
>>
>>8707449
I never get this. All the weight is always to the front of my foot.
>>
>>8715133
Like the other Anon mentioned, those are pretty much the most common stripper shoe brands. The ones I have are Pleaser. If you go to a lingerie store, they will usually have quite a few to choose from that you can try on and the associates will help you.
>>
https://youtu.be/sfN6fQH766E
>>
>>8716090
I'm too embarassed to do that. What if people think I am a stripper?
>>
>>8708043
Nope, heels encourage bad posture. Arse in, shoulders straight, tummy tight is good posture... heels tend to encourage arse out and a swayed back.
>>
>>8716642
Why do you care whether random people who you will probably never see again think you are a stripper, and even better why do you think they'll care? Get over yourself.
>>
>>8716674
Stop talking out of your ass. You can have good posture just apply yourself.
>>
>>8716783
Anon, I can see you're being defensive of your footwear choices and posture but that was a reply to someone asking if heels will encourage a better posture and they certainly don't do that.
>>
>>8716785
Maybe if you are bad. I find they help me with my posture.
But to each their own I guess...
>>
>>8716803
I'm sure they do.
>>
>>8709184
omg I wore those for my prom
>>
>>8716976
Good taste Anon. I hope you didn't fall over
>>
>>8707411
Those look nice, what are they? I'm guessing 6" with a 2" platform?
>>
High heels are satan.
>>
File: High-Heels-without-Heel-Whisty.jpg (202 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
High-Heels-without-Heel-Whisty.jpg
202 KB, 500x334
How to walk in heels that don't have the heel?
>>
>>8717254
Very carefully.
>>
>>8716803
Maybe your normal posture is fucked up in the exact opposite direction. Good for you. Still doesn't mean they HELP good posture. You can have good posture in anything if you try hard enough, that doesn't mean they are orthopedic tools that will help your posture.
>>
>>8717254
Always keep your weight on the ball of your foot. Stand near walls and or someone sturdy just in case. You will probably still fall down.
>>
>>8717286
>You will probably still fall down.
Kek, thanks
>>
>>8717254
Please remember to not wear shoes like this for long periods or too often, they're fucking terrible for your back and feet, way worse than regular heels because of the strain they put on your body.
>>
OP I am a level 150 wizard with heels because I did amateur convention runway for a while, and I practiced a ton along with it to make sure I would never fall on stage. You can/will get used to walked from toe-heel or putting your weight in the middle if you keep doing it.

I think I pride myself in being one of the few women who don't whine and bitch and moan about wearing heels for one night. It's not cute or silly.

>>8708805
Please tell me you wear stockings as well, because that's sexy.
>>
>>8708973
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballet_boot
it's a fetish thing!
>>
>>8717320
I do wear stockings. and sometimes a skirt or dress as well.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.