[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /cgl/ have any stories about how actors feel about cons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 16
File: Jason_Momoa_Supercon_2014.jpg (245 KB, 779x1143) Image search: [Google]
Jason_Momoa_Supercon_2014.jpg
245 KB, 779x1143
Does /cgl/ have any stories about how actors feel about cons ?
Pic related seems to dislike the experience and to be almost annoyed by fans.
>>
>>8664172
David Hewlett fuckin' LOVES it. He was one of the nicest guys I've ever met, period, let alone actor.

>He's also good friends with everyone he worked with on Stargate: Atlantis except Momoa. Figures.

Actors who love their jobs/acting are usually the ones who also love being around fans.
>>
I have a feeling it would depend on their fanbase. There's always those poor people who have the worst fanbases and probably don't enjoy how their fans act or the weird shit they do.

I can imagine that's a partial reason why Moot never really went to cons, lel. But I don't know much about his reasons.
>>
Yes, I've been meaning to share this story on here and keep forgetting!

>selling at my booth
>fucking BRUCE CAMPBELL comes walking up
>likes my shop name, says my stuff looks good
>OMFG IT WAS BRUCE CAMPBELL
>JUST FUCKING STANDING IN FRONT OF ME HAVING A GIGGLE
>his handlers are chasing behind him
>"Mr. Campbell, sir, please get back to your booth"
>Bruce laughs, won't go back
>sees and Arrow cosplayer
>"Get a load of this guy. Sir, you look great."
>Arrow cosplayer is sweating, stuttering telling Bruce how much he loves him
>handlers still trying to get him back to his booth
>Bruce wants a selfie
>handlers trying not to be assholes but pictures with Bruce are supposed to cost money
>Bruce don't give a fuck, thinks all this fussing over him is dumb
>takes selfie with Arrow guy
>sees the MichelinMan and runs after him
>handler chase him down

I thought Bruce Campbell would be a cocky asshole but he thinks the fans at cons are the coolest people and he's there to see them and not the other way around
>>
File: 1442846766771.png (346 KB, 472x650) Image search: [Google]
1442846766771.png
346 KB, 472x650
>>8664306
>see's the Michelin Man and runs after him
>handler chase him down

Oh god anon, my sides.
>>
File: 9bd.gif (1 MB, 260x163) Image search: [Google]
9bd.gif
1 MB, 260x163
>>8664306
Best thing I read tonight. I love The Chin and am hyped for Ash Vs The Evil Dead.
>>
>>8664172
I met Jason Momoa at Calgary Expo earlier this year. He didn't really seem annoyed, just quiet, and he seemed friendly enough when doing his autographs. He told me he liked my glasses and I got a little moist ngl
>>
>>8664172
Momoa is chill AF. At BCC 2014 we were waiting in line to meet Samwise Gamgee and I, having not seen Game of Thrones yet, was quite impressed by his massive biceps. After getting our autographs, we walked by his (deserted) table where I was like "I haven't watched your show yet, but your name reminds me of tasty alcoholic beverages so that's cool."

He laughed for like five minutes and was still chuckling to himself when we walked away.

Totally gonna get his autograph at RICC this year now that I've watched some GoT.
>>
File: army_of_darkness_bruce.png (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
army_of_darkness_bruce.png
2 MB, 1920x1200
>>8664306
>fucking BRUCE CAMPBELL comes walking up

I ran into Bruce Campbell in a crowded restroom at Project A-kon back when he and I were both *much* younger. He walked in, and said in his Ash-voice, "what is this, some kind of a line?" and left to find a less-crowded place to piss.

He shared a very piquant observation that weekend, though: the movies that are the easiest to make are the hardest to watch. He also admitted to being in lots of movies that were easy to make.
>>
Speaking of Game of Thrones, Finn Jones ends up at a lot of cons I go to. First time I met him he was hilarious and spent the whole time drunk off his ass and flirting with girls and I hung out with him a bit. It was super chill. Saw him at a party a couple years later and he was stuck up as shit. Made some snide remark about him being too good for the party he didn't get invited to, but another Game of Thrones guest got flown out to. Even saw him having to pay to get in.

>mfw he also made a snide remark to me and I work for people a lot more famous than him.

I know Peter Dinklage loves meeting people. He was the biggest sweetheart and came over to talk to me when I waved at him when we made eye contact at a bar after he finished dinner.
>>
>>8665284
Oh man, really? I was just about to say that I know that Finn Jones goes to a lot of cons and seems pretty cool. That sucks. The guy who plays Hodor seems to really like them, though, he DJs raves a lot and is into World of Warcraft.

GOT cast in particular strikes me as a very interesting group of people to see react to the con scene. Probably because of how large it is and how diverse it is.
>>
>>8665284
Finn has gotten more stuck up over the years. Which is incredibly frustrating and sad? I've had some INCREDIBLE conversations with him regarding the books and theories and ideas and such, along with other stupid shit, but at Dragon*Con he was such an asshat (not to me, but to others), I was really disappointed in him.
>>
>>8665284
One of my coworkers' sister is nanny to dinklage's kids. Kind of random to learn.

That's all I can contribute to this conversation.
>>
Janet Varney seems to be becoming a regular at my home con. She's really nice, I didn't meet her the first time she came but I did this year with my bf cosplaying Bolin. We met her two out of three days (got her autograph on a korrasami print, then a photo with my bf as bolin) she only had kind things to say, seemed to be having a decent time.
Her handlers or assistants were like 12 though so that was kind of weird.
>>
>>8664172
Let me tell you a story about Jason Momoa. He's really great, super friendly and really funny. He's also very fond of smoking. I was volunteering at OZCC this year at the autograph section. I was tending to Keisha Castle Hughes' line, which was right beside his. Keisha's was a very slow line so I was helping with Jason's and he kept leaving to smoke and every time, some lady would demand to know where he was going, why he was getting up. It was getting to the point where I was getting screamed at so I shuffle over, tell his handler what's happening and he tells me to tell Jason so I do. He apologies profusely and tells me to remind him or his handler every 40minutes so he'll go for his smokes then instead of disappearing sporadically.
>>
>>8665460
I have heard that Janet Varney has all the kindness and patience of an angel and is just a doll to work with and talk to.
>>
>>8665436
I have a question.

>Is his wife normal-sized?
>>
>>8664172
I've never heard anything bad about Momoa. He was a riot at the GoT panel last C2E2 and he seemed like a really good sport towards all the Daenerys cosplayers who had photos ops wit him.
>>
>>8664172
I met David Hayter at a con and he seemed to love it, as shitty as the con was. At the end of his panels his security guard would try to get him out the room, but he wanted to stay and talk to his fans, and took pictures with them.
My friend gave him Metal Gear fanart, and he when he saw her at his panel, he stopped it for a second to tell everyone how amazing her art was, and how everyone needed to go check out her booth. It was so sweet, and one of the best days of her life.
Also seeing all the pics of Triple Fortune at Rufflecon made me so happy, they look like they were having so much fun
>>
File: RalphMACCHIO400X400.jpg (142 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
RalphMACCHIO400X400.jpg
142 KB, 400x400
>>8666566
>I've never heard anything bad about Momoa.

He's gonna be at Dallas Comic Con Fan Days this weekend, but I don't watch Game of Thrones.

OTOH, Ralph Macchio will be there, too. I promised my son I would take him as soon as he finishes sanding the deck, painting the fence, and waxing our cars.
>>
File: Ferrigno,_Lou_(2007).jpg (143 KB, 528x610) Image search: [Google]
Ferrigno,_Lou_(2007).jpg
143 KB, 528x610
>>8666987
>Ralph Macchio will be there

Speaking of things that happened in another lifetime (i.e., before most of /cgl/ was born), that made me think of somebody who is genuinely an all-around nice guy at cons:

Lou Ferrigno.

It's perhaps ironic considering that he's most famous for playing a raging Incredible Hulk, but IRL he's a big teddy bear.
>>
>>8666579
David Hayter is a straight up sweetie pie who genuinely loves Metal Gear and what it means to the fans. It sucks that he got shit on for Keifer friggin Sutherland.
>>
>>8667007

Oh man, Lou Ferrigno is so nice. I ended up in an elevator with him and he complimented my friends who were wearing huge ballgowns for a Labyrinth themed dance (it was only us and him and his wife in the elevator). It was so random and surprising.
>>
File: do want teal'c.jpg (11 KB, 299x199) Image search: [Google]
do want teal'c.jpg
11 KB, 299x199
OP bringing up Momoa made remember this gem from a while back. God I haven't told this story in forever so here goes

>D*con like 2005? 2007? Almost, if not entirely, a fucking decade ago
>Myself and my buddy are both in lolita, we're having the time of our lives
>It's like three in the fucking morning but do we care? Fuck no. Energy drinks, motherfucker.
>I'm getting a little tired but my friend is starting to edge into super wiggy territory b/c sleep deprivation
>We were exiled from the room for some godforsaken reason, I think one of our roommates was getting hella laid and we were chill about it at the time 'cause good for her
>Roaming about, trying to find decent unlocked wifi so my friend could do some pokemon trading with a friend she was texting
>She isn't watching where she's going, smacks right into this SUPER TALL and SUPER BUFF musclebound black dude
>She hits the floor in a pile of petticoat and brand
>I look up. And up. And up. Dude has like seven inches on me because I'm a tiny-ass motherfucker. He looks like he might murder us.
>Suddenly he bursts into apologies and helps my friend up, he's all smiles, helps dust her off and pick up her bag
>"You guys look super cute, what are you dressed as?"
>I give him a basic rundown of lolita, he seems super interested, meanwhile friend is doing her best impression of a fish next to me
>We go our separate ways, finally find wifi and a place to sit
>Friend is still completely silent
>"Dude wtf is with you?"
>"That was Christopher fucking Judge"

And that's the story of how I explained lolita to Teal'c at 3am
>>
>>8666471
Yes and they have a normal sized daughter. Saw photos of him trying to carry this regular sized two year old and it's fucking hysterical and just super adorable
>>
>>8668199
OP bringing up Christopher Judge made me remember this time I opened the gates of Lolita to the Pink Power Ranger at a con. I left her scrolling through Bodyline's site and says she might get one toned down dress.
>That's how it starts
>>
>>8664306
Oh, another Dealer story
>hocking my wares
>guy comes up to buy a shirt
>running his card through Swipe
>group comes running over
>"OMG it's so great to meet you!"
>"I'm such a huge fan."
>I'm trying to get him to sign for his purchase but his fans are all HEART EYES MUTHAFUCKER
>He leaves
>Most fans in tow, two stay to also buy something
>"Okay, call me out of touch but who was that?"
>I am a fucking idiot
>I grew up on the Drew Carey Show
>How did I not recognize Diedrich fucking Bader?
>>
>>8668205
Oh lordy I googled it. His wife must be quite short, though, because that kid is up to her waist already.
>>
>>8665384
I met him at Dragon*Con... he was nice, but distant. To be honest I felt a bit bad for him, because he seemed exhausted.
>>
>>Went to Vegas one time when I was 12
>>Was in Ceasars Palace and got lost from my family during a Starwars autograph signing
>>Didn't care for SWs much
>>Walk into a place with a bunch of gutairs and look at a Jimmi Hendrix signed one
>>"Niceee!"
>>Some REALLY short old guy comes up to me and says I have
good taste in music
>>We chat for a bit he says he's trying to escape the crowd for awhile
>>End up saying have a good day and leaving
>>Theres a women by the booth with other actors shouting the actor R2D2 is missing please help find him
>>They describe the old guy
>>Mfw I just spent an half hour talking to R2D2 talking about ACDC and Jimmi Hendrix and the Beatles
>>
>>8668596
>>I grew up on the Drew Carey Show
>>How did I not recognize Diedrich fucking Bader?

To be fair, he's not very standout-ish in terms of looks, he just looks like an average joe. MAYBE, just maybe, his voice is unique enough to be recognizable but if you're busy doing other things...
>>
>>8668369

Which pink ranger? Please God say Mega/Super Mega because GokaiPink was a Lolita and that would be the best fucking thing ever
>>
>>8664172
From all the videos I've seen it seems like Barrowman has a blast at cons.
I really hope he returns to a con he frequents near me next year.

Anyone got any Barrowman stories?
>>
>>8669089
I saw him from afar at a con recently. He looked better than expected, and seemed to be enjoying the fan interaction. My heart went doki doki when he smiled in my general direction.
>>
>>8664172
Alison Macinnis, so the English supermega force, right?
>>
>>8668777
Oops
>>8669134
>>
>>8667007
Lou Ferrigno is one of the nicest dudes on the planet. He's had a lot of hard knocks, including losing most of his hearing as a kid, but he still manages to have a great attitude about life.
>>
>>8669089
it's been a while since i heard any stories but i remember seeing photos of him being inappropriate with girls? Like grabbing their boobs etc.
correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't he do the 'i can harass girls cus i'm gay' thing a lot?
As i said it's been a while, but i remember disliking his con persona a lot.
>>
>>8669134

There is a god. Should have gotten her into Meta/MM/IW, most of Ahim's wardrobe was supplied by them.
>>
>>8669089

I don't have any personal Barrowman stories but I remember a gull telling a story on here once where she was standing in line for an autograph and saw him at a booth eating a banana. He caught her eye and blew the banana and they both had a good laugh.
>>
>>8668199

Oh my god dude. Fucking LOVE Christopher Judge. So glad to hear he's a sweet heart.
Check out Mega Shark vs Mecha Shark. He plays the lead in it and it's just super funny and cheesy and awful.
>>
>>8669216
Lou Ferrigno is a jack ass.

Saw him at Wonder Con charging $5 for a picture

At SDCC he jumped to $20 a picture, 10$ an autograph and $5 to sign something not related to him,
>>
>>8669805
>$10 an autograph
How about you get fucked. EVERY autograph at a con here in Australia costs $50
>>
>>8669805
you sound like a spoiled asshole.

Anyway, I met Norman Reedus at a con last year and he was super chill. He called me a cutie and gave me a hug and seemed really into meeting the fans. He even stayed longer than his scheduled time to sign autographs for everyone.
>>
>>8669854
friggin hell it was 200 bucks for the hobbits a few years back if I remember correctly
>>
>>8669913
A friend of mine met Danai Gurira and he said that when he turned the corner she smiled and said hello and he absolutely froze. He said time slowed down and she looked so intimidatingly beautiful and sweet that he couldn't talk until he spit out "So is it fun to use swords on the show?" and she answered him so kindly even though he was stuttering and sweating. He's so embarrassed about it, it's adorable.
>>
>>8669805
>>Lou Ferrigno is a capitalist.

Fixed that for you.
>>
File: CRHT_tWUkAAyNcC.jpg (38 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
CRHT_tWUkAAyNcC.jpg
38 KB, 600x450
Nearly every time I open my twitter these guys posted something about a convention. They seem to be at a con every second weekend or so. I've heard good things about them though.
>>
>>8670165
>>8669913
Everyone I've ever met from The Walking Dead has been so chill/approachable, it makes the show that much more enjoyable for me.
>>
>>8669805
lmao why are you mad about that though?? is it because you're a weeb and are used to anime conventions?
Because let me tell you something, at anime conventions the guests bank on the con to pay them as per some kind of contract to ensure that their time is well-spent at the event. Think about it, the average crowd you see at an anime con is primarily composed of teenaged weeaboos who barely brought enough money to eat and buy all of the weeby shit they want. If the guests relied on them to get paid, they wouldn't get paid. At comic cons, which tend to draw an older crowd with more disposable income, the guests bank on the attendees paying for autographs/selfies/photo ops to get paid. The contracts they sign with the convention itself will generally cover room and travel, but not enough money they can take home to their families to make it worth their time. Some bigger names might be able to swing an appearance fee (like Matt Smith or Andrew Lincoln) because of who they are, but most of the time the meat of their weekend's paycheck comes from the fans. Those SDCC prices you listed are very kind, you're just a cunt.
>>
File: MarkSheppard.jpg (53 KB, 300x330) Image search: [Google]
MarkSheppard.jpg
53 KB, 300x330
Mark Sheppard (Supernatural, BSG, Firefly, etc.) is a total bro. Entertaining, honest, and excitable. He wanted to spend time with fans at last RICC so much that staff/handlers had to force him to stop.
>>
File: sasha_potato.jpg (59 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
sasha_potato.jpg
59 KB, 640x360
>>8670290
>Think about it, the average crowd you see at an anime con is primarily composed of teenaged weeaboos who barely brought enough money to eat and buy all of the weeby shit they want.

Indeed!

I had to laugh at AnimeFest 2014 when I saw a homeless guy hitting up the Attack on Titan cosplayers for money during their outdoor photo shoot. If only he knew!

At least the girl dressed as Sasha Blause would have had a potato to eat by the end of the con.
>>
>>8669264
My friend flirted with him before our photo op and he slapped her ass as we left, but she didn't mind. I wouldn't have been okay with it personally. He was super friendly when we spoke at his autograph table, though.
>>
File: Calvin-and-Hobbes.jpg (748 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Calvin-and-Hobbes.jpg
748 KB, 1280x1024
>>8670290
>the guests bank on the attendees paying for autographs/selfies/photo ops to get paid

As a corollary to this, there is the spectre of autograph hawking to consider. Would it be profitable to go to a con and get a bunch of material autographed for free, and then turn right around and sell it on places like eBay? Would those guys think twice about doing this if Patrick Stewarts autograph on a Jean-Luc Picard action figure was going to cost them $50?

It's my understanding that things like this are part of what caused Bill Watterson to become such a recluse.
>>
John Barrowman is fine with having his pictures taken but not being video recorded.
>>
These stories have been great, do people have any more?
>>
>>8674181

Not a con story, but Liv Tyler is the sweetest person on the face of the planet. One time she met a dude at a mall that had been stood up by his date so she hung out with him instead.
>>
>>8674200
wow, that's really nice of her

LotR was on last night, was wondering what happened to her as I haven't seen her in movies for a while
>>
File: fish_face_06.jpg (34 KB, 399x600) Image search: [Google]
fish_face_06.jpg
34 KB, 399x600
>>8668199
>meanwhile friend is doing her best impression of a fish next to me

Sorry but I just imagine a sleep-deprived caffeinated lolita doing this while waving her hands for no fuckin' reason at all and I laughed really hard

But I think you meant she looked flabbergasted
>>
>>8674850

LOL you're close, she kept opening and closing her mouth like she was going to say something but she couldn't find the words. She was like a lacy pink goldfish. It was pretty great.
>>
File: ralph_macchio&anons.jpg (369 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
ralph_macchio&anons.jpg
369 KB, 1280x960
>>8674181
>These stories have been great, do people have any more?

Ralph Macchio is nothing like Barney Stinson.
>>
Met Steve Blum once, and while he was professionally warm I was honestly disinterested in him. However, I had a friend who was supposed to go to the same convention, but her controlling parents made her cancel after she already paid for the airline ticket. Blum allowed me to sneak back in front of the line after I finally got her on the line, and allowed me to surprise her with a Skype call with him. I had to pay for the video recording message for her, but he signed a toy for free, despite usually being a charge. He loves fans that love his characters, and gets friendly on that front. Heard nothing but good stories of him being a total ham and playing along well at conventions and panels.

Met Levar Burton, and I was not impressed. He was a major disappointment, and a total let down as he was the first Star Trek actor I ever got to meet. Totally could tell he was just there because it was a job, and it just felt entirely impersonal.

However, the best experience was by far, and hands down—Peter Cullen.

The man gave me far more time than I was allowed. Let me blubber out my sappy excuse of why he means so much to me, even welled up his tears as he listened to me. I could tell he was listening to me. He made me and anyone who had their turn with him feel like they were the only two people in the entire world. He absolutely loved my costume, kissed my hand three times and wouldn't let go of it. Totally blew off his handlers by sneaking in extra minutes and more photographs. Everything I've heard of him corroborates my experience. Word is that before the big live-action movies by Michael Bay catapulted him into the stratosphere, he was always pulling overtime at conventions, and looked really sad when his manage began to enforce handling. Word is also that he gets so sad when he isn't allowed as much time with his fans as he wants, and when unhappy when he had to start charging more and limiting his interactions with the fans.
>>
I've run into Ferrigno at several Cons. He's always super nice to EVERYBODY. At NYCC some years back he was constantly sending his handler on fetch quest then would encourage fans to get pictures with him before they returned so they could get the the pictures free.
>>
>>8674911
>Met Levar Burton, and I was not impressed. He was a major disappointment, and a total let down as he was the first Star Trek actor I ever got to meet.

Maybe he didn't see you there, anon.
>>
>>8669089
I was nervous at a photo op with him and he told me to smile. Guess it wasn't good enough because as the photographer was counting down, he pinched my ass at 3 (I'm a guy)

Awesome pic, and great guy though!
>>
>>8664306
I'd do Bruce Campbell so hard, such a sweet guy.
>>
>>8666352

I only go to tabletop gaming cons. been to DragonCon once. Can anyone explain the "handlers" to me? Jason Momoa is a big ass dude I so I don't think it is security. Do the handlers work for the con and make sure the actors stay in place and earn their fee?
>>
>>8679438
>Can anyone explain the "handlers" to me? Jason Momoa is a big ass dude I so I don't think it is security. Do the handlers work for the con and make sure the actors stay in place and earn their fee?

They're con staff - may be employed, but usually volunteers - who take care of all the administrative things swirling around the guest so they don't have to.

That's the diplomatic way of explaining it.

As >>8678203 explained in the situation with Lou Ferrigno, the handlers are there mostly to collect the fees due the guests, and do all of the things that make this run quickly and smoothly.

>You're here to see Jason Momoa? Cool. You want to buy this 8x10 for him to autograph, and then have your picture taken with him? OK, that will be $80, sir. You're up next. When you get over there, hand Bill your camera and he will snap the picture for you.
>>
>>8679448

Thank you for explaining that. Paying for autographs and getting 3.5 seconds to take a picture with an actor and being given all sorts of profit maximizing petty rules/instructions doesn't appeal to me but obviously appeals to a whole hell of a lot of people/fans. I hope the actors make a lot of money. I have worked cons as a vendor selling t-shirts and got all sorts of autistic questions.

One guy asked me what I thought about the future legality of laser weapons. WTF
The booth was selling t-shirts and had nothing to do with lasers or laser weapons.
>>
>>8679234
Right? Guy is almost 60, but he's hot as hell. I'd break his hip.
>>
File: lucy_lawless_autograph.jpg (89 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
lucy_lawless_autograph.jpg
89 KB, 960x960
>>8679467
>Paying for autographs...

A necessary evil, anon. We covered this in >>8670290 and >>8670384.

> ... and getting 3.5 seconds to take a picture with an actor and being given all sorts of profit maximizing petty rules/instructions doesn't appeal to me but obviously appeals to a whole hell of a lot of people/fans.

It's par for the course. People are willing to put up with it because it greatly increases the likelihood that even though you were 78th in line to meet Lucy Lawless this morning, you're gonna get her autograph and have your picture taken with her.
>>
>>8679502

I understand the business aspect of it. I do not understand the appeal. Different strokes for different folks.
>>
I've run into Matt Mercer at cons a few times, and he seems to be genuinely delighted to be there and meet fans. From what I can tell, when he's not doing a panel or an autograph session, he just wanders the halls talking to people. Then again, that probably makes sense, seeing as he used to be a cosplayer.
>>
>>8669805

If you ask him for a picture at Gold's, he's nothing but respectful and friendly.

He's a total teddy bear.
>>
>>8679473
Vendor who saw him in person, here.
He's even more hansom in persona and he smells like leather and the fresh ocean air.
>>
>>8665112
>that image
But...tiger moth caterpillars hibernate in the winter.
>>
>>8669805
It's not necessarily him that charges this. Agents are assholes.
>>
>>8679502
same anon as >>8680015

As much as it's nice and increases the liklihood for you to meet them, the agents can really make or break the deal for me. I have to deal with setting the prices. That does not always come directly from the actor or VA. I totally understand that popularity will increase the demand. I understand the business behind it. What I don't understand are the agents who are reluctant to work out any pricing. I also understand the agent wants what is best for their client. Although, you cannot place the expectation of a comic con on the anime cons and that's where the problem arises. I have dealt with one agent in particular that I abhor. Jeff Zannini from Celebrity Talent Agency. He doesn't read the emails you send him. He just responds and usually at 2AM or 3AM. You're lucky if you see any email responses at all after you start working out a price. He refuses to discuss anything with his clients. I've had to threaten to not invite a guest in order for him to respond. He's absolutely terrible to deal with and the voice actors/actors usually dont have a clue until they're confronted. It's sad, really.
>>
>>8664306
God I wanna meet him so bad. I really need to make it to a comic con one of these days
>>
>>8679711
I wouldn't be surprised since he's an old son need himself before becoming a voice actor.

One of my friends is buddies with Ruben Langdon. Has his cell number and so on. He was a guest at a con and our friend called him up asking if he wanted to hang at our room party. Ended up with him hanging out with everybody playing video games. We found out he was better at Street Fighter then Marvel vs Capcom.

Oh and I met Erin Fitzgerald and a bunch of the other Skullgirl voice actors at Skullgirls expo. Since it was a much smaller event I got to chat with them for a while. Erin was an absolute peach. We ran into her again at AX.
>>
File: bruce&anon.jpg (34 KB, 508x335) Image search: [Google]
bruce&anon.jpg
34 KB, 508x335
>>8681238
>God I wanna meet him so bad. I really need to make it to a comic con one of these days

Go to http://www.bruce-campbell.com/ and see when and where his appearances are. It could surprise you!

He's more than just everybody's favourite B-movie actor. You might find him in places you don't necessarily expect: in addition to running into him at Project A-kon (once on purpose, once by accident - >>8665271), I saw him again many years later at a book signing at the Barnes & Noble on Northwest Highway in Dallas right after after he'd released Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way.
>>
Hey people from latin america is it true that some of the GF cast got asked to do porn?
>>
>>8682679
What? The thing in the radio? There's literally no way to prove who it was

Backstory: There's a VA that said that he got paid a large sum of money to dub over some porn with Traci Lords in it, who said he worked in fetish porn before so he imagined it'd be less awkward. It was not less awkward. But it sounded to me that a person who was very, very old to VA business. Also back in the 80s or earlier a lot of porn actors then did VA, but like, background/extra voices. Radiotheatre people did main characters.
>>
Speaking of latin american VAs, Gerardo Reyero is a bro. His presentation is really inappropiate for children though, so I can see why he doesn't get invited to more cons.
>>
Alright, confidentiality statements be damned, I've got stories, and I've got what appears to be an audience. I'm a guest handler for a smaller con group, on the east coast, and half of my coworkers are in this thread already.

VAs
Mignuggets
Haberkizzle
Mercer
Chuck HOOOOber
Jessica Calvello
Lisa Ortiz
Cherami Leigh
Chris Ayers
Greg Ayers
Steve Blum
Crispin Freeman

Screen Actors
Lou Ferigno
Half the cast of ST:TNG
Alan Tudyk
Bruce Boxleitner
That's about it, I don't get around these guys much.

I've got stories about all of them, none that they would be angry if I shared, and your millage may vary on how good they are, but I've got too many to pick, so who do you actually want to hear about?
>>
>>8683055
Freeman
>>
>>8683055
Alan Tudyk is a swell guy, if you've got any fun stories about him I'd love to hear them!
>>
I found out maybe a week or two ago that one of my facebook friends is Mignogna's mother. I have no recollection of where I met her, whether it was online or in person. Pretty sure she's been my friend on FB for at least a year, probably more. Didn't figure it out until I saw her expressing her pride on my feed. It was only then that I realized he was in most of her pictures.

On a more related note, Jon St John gets really carried away at MAGfest, probably because he has an entourage of D-list starfuckers. It's great that he has a good time, but his fanboys can be really obnoxious.
>>
>>8683055
>Lisa Ortiz
Lina's my hero, so this is my pick
>>
>>8683142
The first time they announced him coming to Magfest (2009 or so) they did it with a faux Ventrilo harassment video.
That's the kind of crowd they want to attract.
>>
>>8683055

Haberkizzle, just because I hear so few weird stories about him.

Speaking of the Habster, he was a guest at a local con like eight years ago and my well meaning but fucking nuts older lady friend that ran the crafts department was also his liaison. She gave him my shitty D.Gray-man fanfiction that I entered into the fanfiction contest because he was involved in the abortive attempt to dub the anime. I can never look him in the eye again.
>>
I think it depends on a lot of things.

First off it depends on an actor's marketability and where they are in their careers. Some actors despise their characters because they don't want to be pigeon holed by it. Later in their careers they may settle into it because they begin to see it as a lifeline rather than as a noose.

Second, it depends on what their career path was. Mainstream actors or actors new to genre shows. Tend to be either bewildered or standoffish, a Cordeon Blue trained chef who is working in a diner is going to be a little bitter about their career trajectory and sometimes it will show. I don't mean to drag on them, that's just how it is.

Third who you see at a con isn't necessarily them, remember they are actors. This isn't a rip on them either. Sometimes they put on a persona because they want to give fans their money's worth or something to remember. I think it's great if as a fan you can remember that you're being handled.
>>
>>8683126
Crispy gets giddy when you call him "The Ralph Finnes of voice acting" as this is exactly who he models his voice after, he's very proper, doesn't swear much, and loves sarcasm. I remember taking him to a panel the morning after I left one of his texts unanswered (he was asking if I knew anyone who still had alcohol after the hotel bar had closed., and I was already asleep) I tell him I'm sorry I didn't answer his text, that I was tired after the long day, and he responds "I bet you say that to all the boys." And acts like he's my scorned ex for the rest of the day.

>>8683128
Met him at NYCC a couple years ago, I had a VA guest, and we were out at lunch at a local joint, when Alan walks up to the table recognizing my guest from a previous con. I freak out a little when he introduces him to me, all but exclaiming "You're Alan fuckin' Tudyk." to which he replies "So named for my two dicks." I lost it.

>>8683148
Lisa loves catchphrases, like coming up with them and overusing them all weekend, my favorite two have to be the "hashtag fingers", and "I'd fellate that." Hashtag fingers spawned from a convention when she'd been less than savvy when it came to Twitter, and someone was trying to tell her what a hashtag was, finally resigning to pointing out two fingers in a V shape, and dragging them down, and across, to sort of draw a pound sign in the air. She loved the visual so much that she ended up doing it every time she said the word "hashtag".

>>8683181
I only ever worked with him once, but every day, before his autograph sessions, I would make placards for all of the guests out of note cards, because we forgot to print up signs, or maybe the printer was broken, and I kept giving him a different nickname. He was working out A TON at the time, so his favorites were Todd "The Bod" Haberkorn, and Todd "#onemorerep" Haberkorn.

I refrained from listing several people because they were total assholes, so my list is built entirely of super nice people.
>>
>>8683958
are you willing to tell some asshole stories without giving identities away?
>>
>>8683974
Absolutely. One actor in particular, fame peaked in the mid 90's before he went into voice over work in the early 2000's. He was getting fucked up in the guest suite a couple years ago, and my gay friend was his handler. He starts asking my friend some personal questions, before eventually finding out that he was married to a man. As soon as he realized my friend was gay, he starts to get distant, and doesn't want to ask any more questions. A little later in the night, the actor's a little bit drunker, and says to my friend very loudly "I think it's kinda gross that you let a man fuck you." Yeah, I don't watch his shows anymore.
>>
>cosplaying as MGS3 Ocelot
>David Fucking Hayter comes up behind me and tells me "You're pretty good".

Damn near pissed myself. I thought it was just someone who done a good impression. Turned around, HOLY SHIT ACTUALLY DAVID HAYTER

He was bro as fuck, posed for a bunch of photos, signed tonnes of stuff, generally bro as fuck.
>>
>>8683055
Mercer!
>>
>>8684390
David Hayter is so nice, as are Mark Meer and Jennifer Hale. I met them all at the Canadian Videogame Awards last year and they're very accommodating to fans. One of my friends was a little too excited and blurted out "I love you" instead of "I love your work" to Hayter, who cheerfully replied, "I love you too, man!" Guests who are kind and don't make you feel bad if you're a little awkward/starstruck are really awesome.
>>
>>8684374
>taking something a drunk guy said personally

Literal child.
>>
>>8678203
funny thing is that ferrigno wasnt always like that.
first time meeting him was i think SDCC '05. guy was a huge(pun intended) asshole. as i was in line to get something signed, of course passer bys would stop and try to take a picture of him.
every now and then, he would look at someone whos taking a picture and tell them to stop doing that. so while i was in line, all i pretty much heard from him was "no pictures, please" and "if you want to take a picture of me, stand in line and pay".

this year at wondercon, when i saw him again. the guy was all smiling and shit when people walking by were taking pictures.
I wonder what happened.
>>
>>8684633
>'05
The only thing he'd been doing since the turn of the century was a few bad movie cameos and some shitty TV shows. Not to defend him too hard, but I can understand him wanting all the money he could get.
>>
>>8684493
drunk rants are sober thoughts, anon
>>
>>8684666
i mean it depends on who bro.
>>
>>8684393
He and I rap battled in a hot tub. It was fucking amazing. Hotel hot tub, me, my guest, my guest's girlfriend, Mercer, a couple of other attendees. music is playing over the loudspeakers, and Can't Hold Us by Ryan Lewis comes on, and Mercer flips, he knows every lyric to this song, so he starts dancing, and tries to get other people to start dancing, but it's mostly older guests folks, I'm the youngest person there, and the only person within 10 years of the guy. Eventually, I cave, and he's rapping all the verses. but all I know is the chorus, so we end up synchronizing a dance on the spot for the chorus while we're singing, and just have some stupid fun. The song finishes up, and I tell him he raps pretty well, to which he starts rapping again, something fast, I think by Busta Rhymes. I know one rap, and I do it really well, it's the Mac Lethal speed rap, and I just fucking let it loose, while my guest is loosing his mind, just every time I start a new stanza, his jaw drops further, and Matt's just standing there with a blank look on his face, and he's just like "you win, take my crown." It was a good weekend, we played Werewolf in the green room.
>>
>>8684666
Why get offended that someone disagrees with your life choices? Or in this case, why get offended on someone's behalf?

If you're confident in your own choices, when why should you or your friend care?
>>
>>8684374
I could understand if your friend decided he didn't like the actor after that, but why are you involving yourself so heavily in someone else's business?

You don't even indicate whether or not the friend even cared about the comment, you decided to get offended regardless. Do you get offended when one anon call another anon a faggot too? Chill your victim complex.
>>
>>8684686
The friend did care, immensely, it was one of his first experiences staffing, and he gets berated for his sexuality in a room full of people who were too uncomfortable to say anything about it, and by someone he's expected to spend another day attached to his hip. It wouldn't have even bothered me if he shrugged off the comment, but that wasn't the case. I guess I don't understand what a victim complex is, if I'm not allowed to empathize with a close friend who was publicly treated like shit by someone he'd been a fan of. That seems like a pretty basic response.
>>
>>8684682
>>8684686
I could understand getting offended on someone's behalf. Actually, it's not even quite that. I mean, why associate or support someone who would disrespect a current friend? It would just cause unnecessary drama.

Plus what does the dude know if one guy/girl decides to boycott him? If the person doesn't want to support an artist, then they have all the rights to do so.
>>
>>8684696
Yeah, like I said, I'm not naming names, because that would be a shitty thing to do, I'm just sharing stories.
>>
>>8669264
Inapproriate, depends. Though very hands-y, by all accounts.
>>
>>8683055
Yo if you're still here, could you please talk about Bruce Boxleitner?
>>
>>8684682
>>8684686
>offended that someone has empathy

tryhard cunt detected
>>
>>8684700
Maybe I'm just a huge sperg but I can't see why this would be a shitty thing to do. The guy was shitty first. Seems to me that the better thing to do would be to get the word out so other people might be able to avoid his shit in the future.
>>
>>8684863
I'm assuming it's because any of these stories could reveal the identity of the guest volunteer/staffer, but the ones that would probably get them in shit would be the negative ones, if certain people saw them and recognized them.
>>
>>8684863
>>8684870

That's part of it, I wouldn't want anyone in the story identified, because I have friends personally affected by it, and there are potential legal ramifications, but aside from that, the mere idea that I would be trying to get people to avoid things that this person has been in seems unnecessary to me. Sure, my opinion of this guy has changed, and I don't seek out new properties with him in it, but why would I try to affect other people opinions of shows that are collaborative efforts of talented writers, directors, actors, and technicians, that just happen to feature one douche bag in the mix? It's involuntary for me, I'll always associate him with that incident, but you don't have to, you can still enjoy the things he's in, and he's gonna be in them with or without your support.
>>
>>8684853
Bruce is another one off story, it was sort of a fluke that I even met him, but it was another situation where my guest knew him, and we just bumped into each other. The twist this time is that I had no clue he was there, I was on the phone with my department head, and my guest is standing about 10 feet away from me, so I don't notice that it's Bruce who's strolled up beside him (we're in a restricted area, so it wasn't just a random attendee, I'm not that bad at my job) I assume it's one of the staff, or a panelist, and my guest seems to know him, so I continue my conversation, I think it was about airport runs, and all of a sudden, my phone gets yanked from my hand, and I turn to see Bruce talking into it, "Hi, this is Tron, your boyfriend loves me more than you." then he hands it back to me, while my guest is laughing his ass off.
>>
>>8664306
He's kind of a dick head. Read between the lines, he puts on a act. Behind the scenes he's a prima donna.
>>
>tfw I have the same Birthday as Deep Roy
>tfw I had just Deep Roy at a con and I didn't know of our kindred entwinement yet.
>tfw missed connections.
I'm mostly joking but all that aside. I wouldn't have known how to bring that up anyway.
>>
>>8669913
a friend of mine did an interview with Norman at OZCC a few years back and she's a massive fan, he was absolutely lovely and it pretty much made her life i think.
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.