[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Walmart Cosplay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 32
File: image.jpg (133 KB, 1178x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133 KB, 1178x768
Why do people take part in cosplaying to Walmart/Whole Foods?
>Have you ever done it?
>What are your thoughts on it?
>>
>>8661191
Cancerous
>>
>>8661191 cringe
>>
That's usually done by prepubescent cringelords who have nothing better to do
>>
>Have you ever done it?
yeah because a lot of people in my local cosplay community started doing it and i had nothing else to do on saturday nights so why not hang out, eat some subway, and walk around educating people on cosplay? it's fun during halloween time because everyone asks you if you work there and you get to inform them on cosplay culture, and i'm also good at helping people pick out halloween costumes in the store. a lot of walmart and target workers don't understand much about dressing up.
i used to think it's weird but i love it, i've become known in my town for dressing up to school, going to walmart/target/wegmans, and just cosplaying all over... last weekend me and some friends cosplayed attack on titan in the park and we got a lot of pics taken and featured in our local newspaper
>>
>>8661191
God no. Though I have gone to CVS in cosplay as it was during a con and I was getting some snacks. I am sure some people have gone to WalMart during cons for similar things.
>>
>>8661210
4chan has a pretty strict 18+ only rule. Do your parents know you are on this site?
>>
File: 20151010_113320.jpg (203 KB, 711x932) Image search: [Google]
20151010_113320.jpg
203 KB, 711x932
>>8661210
Anon did I see you yesterday?
>>
>>8661213
Do you know how many children there are on /b regularly?
>>
File: image.jpg (8 KB, 108x144) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
8 KB, 108x144
Honestly there are so many weirdos at Walmart already that they wouldn't even notice you in cosplay
>>
>>8661210
>inform them on cosplay culture
Cosplay is not a fucking culture. It is not some special way of life, you dumb fuck. It is not something people need to be educated on. And as someone who has had shitty retail work in the past, stop this shit! No one thinks it's cute or helpful having you talk shit about the cheap ass halloween costumes, and no one wants your help finding a costume either. You are a complete and utter nuisance, and i swear to you, every employee that you see in these stores is desperate for you to do something stupid so they have a reason to kick you out.
>>
I ran into a supermarket to get supplies once on the way to con. And hell no. What sort of hick town do you live in that this is the only thing you can think of for fun.
>>
>>8661227
Thank god I never worked in retail...
>>
Me and my friends have a tradition of going to White Castle during conventions.
When we were 15, it was what we could afford, now it's just part of our con experience.
>>
>>8661230
Mfw walking around in a wally at 2 am is our only source of night life fun >,>
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 308x308) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 308x308
>>8661236
Since when have they been open at 2am??
>>
>>8661247
Anon, not all Walmarts have the same hours...
>>
>>8661247
In December, the WalMart here is open 24 hours.
>>
>>8661191
But why else do they feel the need to videotape their escapades and put it on YouTube?
>>
>>8661247

It depends on where you live. The Walmarts in my area are all open 24 hours.
>>
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob84Oab0heI
Someone made a video where they go to Walmart dressed as characters from Durara
>>
>>8661220
4ch is still 18+
>>
>>8661247

I noticed it's more common for walmarts in rural areas to be open 24 hours. Source: I somehow have the shitty luck of living in various backwater towns my entire life.

Though even if you live in the middle of nowhere, you really have to have no creativity if you think running around Walmart in cosplay is the most fun thing to do.
>>
>>8661275
In my shitty state, Celty would have probably been arrested. They're real strict on full face masks around here, even the cons usually tell people to not put them on until they are in the convention venue and to make sure they remove them before going out, even if it's just to the hotel.
>>
>>8661283
Reminds me of that Ryuko cosplayer that got arrested...
>>
I've done it but not.. on purpose. I was cosplaying for an event and we decided to go out to lunch and then JoAnnes to see if they had anything we needed.
Some redneck family sitting in the booth next to ours wouldn't stop talking shit about us, it was embarrassing but I just wanted some food man.
>>
>>8661269
Same. The Wal-Mart by my old place is 24 hours, but the two closest to my current place are only open until midnight.

Back when I first started displaying I used to do cosplay meetups. Ended up having one friend who started trying to turn every outing we did into a cosplay thing. It really just started getting awkward after a while. The last straw was when I suggested we take a trip to the beach(since you know, we lived in socal) and she wanted us to drive like an extra 1 1/2 hour so she could run around in cosplay at Santa Monica pier. I even said that I didn't want to deal with cosplay, her response? "Oh, you don't have to cosplay!"

Extra cringe when you realize she was in her 30's.
>>
>>8661308
What were you wearing?
>>
>>8661210
You need to be purged
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 500x500
>Oh No
I once had this friend who used to go to the mall with a whole group of homestucks crowding around everything with poorly put together horns
>>
>>8661339
Pic unrelated
>>
I mean, if I have to run in to buy something, yeah. I eat in my cosplay outside of the con all the time, or run into CVS/Walmart/Joann's
>>
>>8661343
I think that's how it usually is for most people. Like you end up forgetting something and just have to run into the store to grab it. My usual culprit was Bobby pins.
>>
Seeing some random ham planet whilst shopping to my own delight would definately ruin my day...
>>
>>8661232
I think everybody should have to work six months in retail once in their lives to see what it's like
>>
If I'm at a con and was planning to go shopping (small town- only get to go shopping when I'm at cons in big cities)/need to I'll go in cosplay because obviously, I'm not gonna spend 20 minutes taking everything off and then an hour washing/drying my hair and re-doing my makeup. But I'd never go just for "fun" when there's no con going on. That's awful lol.
>>
>>8661418
The closest I've gotten is putting up more food items on shelves for a grocery store and knowing the crazy stories I've heard I don't think I'd ever try it..
>>
>>8661236
honestly start drinking or get some bad habits or something, god
>>
File: image.jpg (149 KB, 852x937) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149 KB, 852x937
>>8661236
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting anon
>>
>>8661339
i dont really understand what homestuck even is tbh, but what is with homestuck fans?? they seem to be the most open/obnoxious about going out in cosplay just to like chill in the park or go to the city or whatever. does it just attract a higher level of autism than other stuff?
>>
>>8661457
What I don't understand is why they infect anime cons so much, homestuck is deff not an anime
>>
>>8661457
Oh Yes, Yes it does....the list of crap they've done/ are yet to do is ever expanding...
>>
Hey, sometimes you're already dressed up and need to stop by Wal-Mart to get some stuff.
>>
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eRZ2TfyHb8Q
Oh my gosh, the cringeworthyness of this one
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>>8661495
>>
>>8661463
>>8661467
Sorry i know this is off topic but what actually is homestuck? Is it a comic?? I think i tried it a while ago and was just baffled, didnt get the obsession at all
>>
>>8661513
It's a collection of comics/GIFs/and fanart
>>
>>8661495
This video gave me cancer.
>>
>>8661534
Does it actually have a story? Think im beginning to see why it attracts insufferable people rather than normal ones
>>
>>8661543
That's if you could call it a story...
>>
>>8661543
It's a webcomic that's extremely popular and will be producing or already produced a game. Despite it's bad reputation, the community does get stuff done because somehow they raised 700000 usd in like two days for a kickstarter.
>>
>>8661559
Cheers for clearing that up for me. I just know enough about it to recognise them when i see groups of them existing in public. Best time was when i saw about 7 of them drinking in the park and they got moved along by the police for public drinking
>>
I thought mall cosplay was way more frequent. More things to do and usually a couple weeby places like the Hottopic or god forbid the Asian imports store.
>>
>>8661236
>>
>>8661247
i thought they were all 24 hrs. well TIL.
>>
File: image.jpg (149 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149 KB, 900x675
>>
>>8661543
It does, and it's very convoluted, but a lot of the worst fans haven't even read it from the beginning, they just skipped to the part with the trolls (the grey aliens with the candy corn horns).
>>
People are weird these days
>>
I once went to Walmart in cosplay, but only because it was during a con and my squad had to grab some stuff

Walmart is your closest option during colossalcon
>>
I've never dressed up for the sake of going to Walmarts, but I have stopped by convenience stores in cosplay because I ran out of pads/water/whatever on my way to the con.
>>
We don't have Walmart here but I don't think I've actually seen someone cosplay in public ever. Seems like a stupid idea but that alone means young people are going to find it funny or enjoyable.
>>
File: Hagrid's mom.jpg (77 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
Hagrid's mom.jpg
77 KB, 750x600
>>8661191

The young cringelords aren't the worst, it's the aging baby boomers who still think they got it going on. They got tattoos. They look hot!
>>
>>8661191
Technically I've had to go inside of a walmart while in cosplay because I had an accident on the way to the convention and needed supplies to fix my costume. I shed a majority of the costume in the car to try and make it less noticeable, though.
>>
>>8661191
These two girls came in to the resturant I work at dressed as Elsa and whatever her sister's name is (I've never seen Frozen idfk) and my coworker got all squicked out, made a face and said they were dressed all weird.

They had pretty good wigs but now I try to keep my power level out of sight.

I wish it was more acceptable to dress up in general? I'm not a huge cosplayer, but I really like the idea of getting away with casual lolita. Depending on how you do it, sometimes it's very passable as normal fag wear. (is that what Otome is? I don't get Otome)
>>
I'm guessing underage kids do it because it's the only fun/safe place to mess around in cosplay. Maybe they can't afford a con, maybe parks aren't safe or are too far away, etc.
Of course it's cringe as hell, but a lot of people have done cringey shit at that age.
The biggest offenders are the ones that videotape it.

I've done mall cosplay back when I was 16/17, but I just do it for food runs during a convention now.
>>
>>8661864
What country do you live in?
I've noticed dressing up in Disney stuff is pretty well-received in America.
>>
I think it works if your cosplay is either a well known character or a well known genre of character, it covers your face or anonymizes you, and is very well known.

At that point, people tend to think you're some kind of television / online video stunt or viral marketing thing.
>>
File: 4554.jpg (77 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
4554.jpg
77 KB, 600x375
>>8661191
>Have you ever done it?
Back when I lived out in the middle of bumfuck NY (re: all there was to do was fuck around in Wal Mart), my retarded high school friends would talk me into driving them there in their weeb merch or halloween costumes. It was pretty embarrassing ngl, but in that situation I didn't have anyone better to hang out with so I played along. We probably annoyed many, many people.

If people can handle the bantz then it's none of my business. Cosplay isn't serious business. It means nothing if normies don't take it seriously.

>although pictures of j-fash and lolita winding up on PoW still hits me in the feels
>pic related
>>
>>8661888
>At that point, people tend to think you're some kind of television / online video stunt or viral marketing thing.
I always have people ask if I'm in a play, whenever I'm making a run to the store during a con.
I don't think there's even that many play performances here so I'm not sure why people always default to that.
>>
If I need to grab something on the way to/from a con I'll run in after throwing on a sweater or something to cover as much as possible.
I made the mistake of once forgetting a sweater & having a horde of people ask me if that's my "real hair" or if I "dress like that every day".
>>
I went to Wal-Mart before con, I was in special effects makeup, and a dude legit asked if I needed medical attention
>>
>>8661230
rural Idaho
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 600x696) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 600x696
>>8661902
People honestly don't enjoy styles out of the ordinary when it comes to public places
>>
>>8661236
I know this feel. There's nothing in my town except for bars.
I think we have one night club, but from what I heard, it's basically a bunch of rowdy teens pretending to be 21 trying to bump eachother's butts.
>>
>>8661906
... I'm sorry. I used to live in Moscow so I know how that goes. Driven through all of it and there isn't much to do outside Boise.
>>
>>8661912
AZ isn't much fun either
>>
>>8661315
Shinji and Asuka school uniforms.
>>
>>8661495
>Can I carry these leeks with me for the rest of this trip atleast
>>
>>8661931
That's not even that bad..

How boring are these people's lives.
>>
>>8661868
I'm in America - Portland, OR actually. There is a vast community of all kinds of nerds here, but there are still normies when you go to work.
It's funny cause the guy is a tatted up hardcore metal looking guy. But there's a lot of "your culture is weird!" coming from other weird cultures here.
>>
>>8661906
You live in Fruitland? I'm sorry.
>>
>>8661890
I've had to run into Walmart in OTT sweet before. Surprisingly I got mostly complements
>>
>>8661210
>cosplay culture
kek
stop
>>
>>8661428
How do you try the clothes on when you're in costume though....?
>>
File: 1441910116633.jpg (157 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1441910116633.jpg
157 KB, 640x360
>>8661275
Slightly jealous of how Celty's butt looks. From the shaky cam it looks pretty nice.

I never thought I could say a cringe video motivated me to do some squats.
>>
>>8662193
The durara isn't as cringe but pretty entertaining
>>
Near my place, we had a winter homestuck prom. It was so fucking cringe and never want to remember it.
>>
>>8662199
True. The cringiest part of that video is probably the music. Its overall awkward but not cringe so I'll give you that.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 267x200
>MFW was posted to Deviantart
>>
>>8661191
I know a lot of people that would do this lol
>>
File: 1432813698504.jpg (84 KB, 312x321) Image search: [Google]
1432813698504.jpg
84 KB, 312x321
>>8661191
Even when I was a dumb teenage weeaboo I knew doing that shit was retarded.
>>
>>8662236
But then videotaping it and putting it on YouTube is an entirely different story..
>>
>>8661543
As someone who used to be Homestuck cancer, a lot of the comic's appeal comes from it's unique formatting and stupidly long story. If you can get used to the formatting and stick around long enough, the story becomes becomes something pretty interesting and unique (imo), but after a point it kind of becomes stockholm syndrome. You've spent so much time reading it and dealing with it's self referential memes and meta story and formatting that you can't even help but be sucked into it. It attracts a lot of autism because of how deep into it you have to be to understand it and because the characters are basically autistic too.
>>
>>8662275
My favorite character is kit-kat
>>
>>8661191
I was at Anime Boston on Saturday this year and the area around the convention place basically looked like something from Saints Row.
>>
>Have you ever done it?
I go to enough cons that I don't cosplay specifically go to Walmart. However, I have gone to Walmart in cosplay because if I have a cosplay event or con that I need to go to but I need to grab something that I've forgotten or need to bring, I'm gonna buy it in whatever I'm wearing. I've gone to Walmart in lolita, in cosplay, in various stages of half-dressed of both, on rollerblades, in my PJs, in a kigu. Sometimes I get questions, sometimes I wear really clunky headphones and only take them off at the register. My Walmart closest to my house is ghetto as shit so it doesn't matter what I wear, if I'm not halfway slutty I'll get stared at.

How bored does someone have to be if they cosplay JUST to go to Walmart? Please tell me this isn't something people actually do.
>>
>>8661921
You and me, anon.
>>
File: 1386575878358.png (72 KB, 594x595) Image search: [Google]
1386575878358.png
72 KB, 594x595
>>8661236
>>,>
Anon... Are you baiting us?
>>
>get invited to local city's homestuck group
>no thank you
>"next meetup: IKEAstuck! "
>n o t h a n k y o u
>>
>>8661421
>>>/pol/
>>>/v/
>>
File: homosuck.jpg (187 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
homosuck.jpg
187 KB, 960x720
>>8661921
I was gonna bring up AZ actually. Oh god, the mall/park meetups. Those were the days. Dug up an old picture, we were all so cringey but man it was fun.
The comm actually wasn't so terrible up till like 2013, then some 12 year olds got cosplay banned from like 3 places in AZ because they were crawling on the floors, smearing paint, and yelling at children about Homestuck.
>>
>>8661247
my wally world is 24 hours, it's strange to find a walmart that even closes.
>>
>>8661247
Are you inner city?

I was shocked visiting metro areas where typically 24hr businesses like Wal Marts and McDonalds all close at like 10pm.
>>
>>8662392
Well... yeah. It's a convention, what do you expect, people to get changed before getting food?
>>
>>8662498
I mean as in they were pretty spread out around the city. I wasn't even aware Anime Boston was happening and only noticed because there were goddamn Ice Climbers in a car rental area.
>>
I sometimes cosplay as Shinji in public. I don't do it for attention, I just enjoy the feeling. It gives me an identity and I almost feel like I have a purpose. It's fun to do from time to time. I'd kill to have a brown/red haired girl in a yellow dress follow me around and call me an idiot while I do it.
>>
>>8662549

Usually these low effort costumes are the worst but you have that perfect look that made me recognize the character instantly. I think it's the combo of posture and your clothes being just baggy enough.
>>
>>8662549
That's not really a cringey outfit though, since it's so normal. I'd say it's okay in this case.
>>
>>8662562
>>8662565
Thanks guys. Standing out is the last thing I want to do, but it would be fun if someone recognized my outfit.
>>
>>8662549
I also do this, fellow robot. I totally agree with you about the identity thing. I don't pull it off as well as you but sometimes I hope someone will recognize me.
>>
>In Walmart today
>Run into a girl wearing that bee sweater from Bee and Puppycat

That's the closest I got.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsNJa8sxk2Q

I feel like things like link related were pretty popular back in the day. When I was younger I thought it looked so fun, but I never did it. Now I just kind of cringe...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su9ljJIzhXo

The Tavros is autistic af. The real fun starts at 5:25.
>>
>>8661837
You know what, I agree. Even though I cringe at the baby weebs out and about in cosplay, they look like they're having fun and unless they're disruptive, whatever. But holy shit those heavy babyboomer moms are just gross to look at and are usually misreable, self-righteous people.
>>
>>8661811
Same, and I'm always so embarrassed.
>>
>>8662282
is his name kit-kat? i thought it was kamcar or some shit? i only know homestuck from my dash
>>
>>8663149
It's Karkat
>>
>>8661966
I know anon. I think the worst part was that it was a family, I felt bad for the kids for having shitty parents that make fun of strangers.
>>
I honestly would go out in partial cosplay if it were something like the AoT jackets or a cute uniform skirt or something. Something functional that could double as just slightly odd normal wear.

I mean the weebs do look like they're having a good time and as long as they're not annoying anyone or being loud/disruptive then I guess more power to them. I kinda feel jealous at their level of not giving a fuck when I feel self conscious over the looks I get just when I go to Walmart in a dress and heels to pick things up on a Sunday.
>>
>>8663149
close enough
>>
>>8662549
>>8663090
When did /r9k/ start posting here?
>>
>>8662282
I only know the name "Gamzee" and so every candy-corn-horn teenager or semi-recognizable Homestuck character is Gamzee to me.
>>
File: gamzees.jpg (94 KB, 256x698) Image search: [Google]
gamzees.jpg
94 KB, 256x698
>>8663280
Dropped my Gamzee guide
>>
I been to wally world in cosplay but not by choice. In Compton... it was either stay in a hot car or go in. I was already sweating my ass off so I went in. Not only did I stand out because of cosplay, I was the whitest person in there.
>>
>>8663203
I like calling him Kit-kat
>>
I've never met someone outside a con doing cosplay so I don't know why, assuming they're good people, they're creating the same change that lolitas are. Mainstream has the advantage of not accepting other cultures because they control the baseline fashion that everyone else has to accept to fit in (makes for a great Kill La Kill tie in) but these people are changing that. The cringy part is that they're doing it with cosplay rather than professionally, wear a suit and tie where they don't belong.

It is interesting WalMart gets mentioned, with the attitude of the employees there, atleast where I live, is that they're conditioned for any and all odd behaviour and so keeps a strict demeaner to not show any weakness and tolerance so cosplay is part of what they accept from customers overall for the altered implied social contract that everyone expects the employees not to be friendly from the start, it's business and not personal.
>>
>>8661191
Usually just to pop in real quick while in the middle of con-going for food or emergency supplies. I try to make it really quick and make the attempt to remove anything that really stands out.

Outside of a con, well... what >>8661205
said. I have too much self respect to do that shit.

Fucking kids these days.
>>
>>8661215
mmmm them cankles
>>
>>8661275
looks like whoever uploaded it got buttmad and removed it. herd u were talkin shit
>>
>>8661301

deets
>>
>>8661339
>>8661457
fuckstucks are fucking awful and their shit needs to stop or just get darwin'd
>>
>>8661513

Wanna-be weeb versions of juggalos
>>
>>8662191
>implying needing to shop for normie clothes during a con that isn't a simple shirt when a cosplayer is more focused on bobbypins, safetypins, food, whatever else that is not clothing
>>
File: 1416086577244.png (362 KB, 523x592) Image search: [Google]
1416086577244.png
362 KB, 523x592
>>8661210
>walk around educating people on cosplay
>inform them on cosplay culture
>cosplay culture
>>
>>8661301
No one got arrested.
https://gfoppy.wordpress.com/2013/11/14/a-follow-up-post-to-the-ryuko-cosplayer-incident-and-a-direct-call-out-to-brian-ashcraft/
>>
I wonder if I should continue this thread or let it sage
>>
Eh, well, half of the time, cosplaying in public can be cringy as fuck. Like... 99% of the time. I don't have a problem with cosplayers who do casual-looking, yet identifiable characters. AoT uniforms are really normal-looking too, so as long as you leave the belts and 3DMG at home, it looks like any other regular outfit.

I remember I wore my survey corps uniform out once since it's casual af and I actually got a few AoT fans who recognized it and were stoked. It was really nice, so cosplaying something like that in public I don't think is a big deal. It can have its merits but ofc I don't recommend CONSTANTLY doing it.
>>
>>8663646
Idk why it's not working for you but it's still up
>>
>>8661595
Why is it always ugly ass dudes and girls who don't bind who cosplay ouran?
>>
>>8661820
Jesus, chill. We're on a board for grown people who wear cartoon costumes and poofy pseudo-Victorian dresses for fun. Shit like this is irritating as hell, yes, but it's not just kids who do it and we're all here to laugh at them anyway. You sound super pretentious.
>>8662208
Wait what
Deets please, this sounds like a smeary grey shitfest.
>>8664218
I honestly thought you meant the blonde one and got confused because I was pretty sure that was from Durarara and not Tamaki, but then I saw the other guy. I didn't think it was possible to be thin and look so terrible in the Ouran uniform. Fuck, if you're allergic to shampoo, at least wear a wig.
>>
I don't really cosplay for anything but cons and photoshoots but sometimes I have to be dressed/half dressed already on my way to the photoshoot locations and get quite a lot of stares and questions, usually telling people I'm on my way to a photoshoot location to photograph for a personal project satisfies them and they leave me be.

Slightly unrelated but I got kicked out more than once of supposedly public places because I was suspected of filming/photographing for publicity..???
>taking photos of two friends at a supposedly public space with loads of buildings around, in the most modern side of our city because it better fit the serting we needed
>nowhere it says it's forbidden to photograph because you know, that area is public
>security of one of the buildings comes tell us we can't photograph the buildings
>hmm okay, let's just photograph the opposite side
>security comes again and apologizes because we can't be there at all, because someone in charge there suspects we're photographing for publicity purposes
>I'm holding my friend's camera that is full of anime stickers and a charm hanging from it, no other photographing equipment, such professional, much wow
>>
>>8668461
I don't want to remember but it was at a small park. It was so hot and I saw a lot of bad paint jobs and people's body paint literally melting off. A lot of tumblrinas and someone had a "triggering panic attack" when asked to dance (it's a fucking prom???). A lot of closet cosplay and no one went formal either, it was just...cringe.
>>
>>8669917
You should have just straight up told them you're cosplaying and photographing your anime costumes for your facebook friends. And they would have just left in embarassment.
>>
File: 1444692121802.jpg (108 KB, 500x601) Image search: [Google]
1444692121802.jpg
108 KB, 500x601
>>8661999
>portland
>>
>>8661588
I work in a mall and Mall Cosplay is still definitely a thing. its died out a bit after Suncoast and FYE went bankrupt and lost stores, but it's coming back. I've been screamed at by homestucks, asked bizarre questions by Hatsune Miku, and stared down by this guy dressed up as Voltaire. it doesn't help that I have to stand out in front of the store all day and talk to people.
>>
>>8669978
What country? I know of one that was so cheap it was at a park and everyone looked like hot messes. No one actually looked genuinely happy to be there.
>>
Cosplay in a supermarket isn't that bad at all. Considering what SOME clowns are doing in supermarkets these days, it's hilariously harmless.

Only supermarket stories I have all come from my friend; he used to work in a gas station attached to a grocery store. The first was during halloween, when the staff was allowed to dress up in costumes and a few people revealed their powerlevels; apparently one of the cashiers was wearing an Attack on Titan cosplay and was rather surprised when he recognized it.

Second incident was actually meeting someone shopping in full lolita garb (Mori, I think he said.) That one was unfortunate; I'm pretty sure it's the reason he finally stopped coming to cons. He was on the fence for a while and kept going because he knew I enjoyed having him along, but the Lolita Incident made him swear off hard.

ibetthelolitasdidthis.png
>>
Today a somewhat chubby woman in a very short black crop top and rolled down pantsuit came into the store I work at but after she left I realized she was probably cosplaying as Winry Rockbell, since she also had a kid with her that was dressed in a costume. The only other cosplayer I've seen come in was a Homestuck with absolutely terrible facepaint.

Not really a cosplay-heavy area but there's also a subtle furry that comes in occasionally.
>>
An Anna and Elsa came into the store once when I worked at WalMart. Everyone reacted positively, of course, and a lot of kids got pictures with them and everything.
The plot twist is that they were actually wearing it for a play.
Other than that, I see people from my community post pictures of themselves cosplaying at Walmart and other such places and it's the cringiest shit.
>>
>>8661191
It's not Walmart, but there's a small store next to one of the bigger cons here, and it's always crowded with cosplayers. Not to mention the pizza place next to it. Workers there have learned not to care about it, it's the other customers that may look funnily.
>>
>>8669978
I'm so sorry that you had to relive that, but it sounds absolutely hilarious, especially the panic attack from dancing. I'd have recorded that and taken pictures if I could.
>>8671284
What was the lolita incident? The way you worded it makes it sound like he just saw a lolita going shopping and something inside him died.
>>
I went to a homestuck meetup at a botanical garden near my house once, like 4 years ago. we ended up playing spin the bottle. it was super awkward and i called my dad to come pick me up early. as i was leaving, the staff of the garden came up and told them that they should have booked a reservation and that they needed to leave because a wedding was about to start setting up. I'm pretty sure i caught someone saying 'fucking cishets'.
>>
>>8671284
>full lolita
>Mori
What?
>>
>>8661906
>>8661912
Idaho people... I bet I know you if you lived in Boise anytime in the past 5 years.

As for the topic, I never dress up with the intention of going to a store or restaurant, but fuck off if you think I am going to spend three hours changing just to grab some food or cheap booze. I have however cosplayed to bars on occasion. Boise people may be familiar with The Balcony, in college once in awhile we would get dressed up on off nights, wednesday evening was popular because a bunch of us were on a Tue/Thurs or Mon/Wed/Friday schedule for classes. No one else was ever there, and they have a big dance floor with nice bartenders who we tipped well and joked with. It wasn't often and the cosplay was never anything big, but those were some really fun times. It helped that it's a gay bar that regularly hosts drag shows, so no one thought we were particularly odd. Plus, there is fucking nothing to do in Idaho so there is a very big and very active nerd population, some days you can't walk down the street without tripping over a cosplayer.
>>
Everyone in this thread is retarded and I'm going to get back on the subject and post shit going down in a public establishment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su9ljJIzhXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhe6crHcC8k
>>
>>8670166
But that's the problem... we did. The security guard said he didn't mind but since he was only security and it was the management giving him orders to kick is out, so he couldn't do much about. Apparently the management people didn't believe us.
>>
File: regret and mistakes.png (36 KB, 444x299) Image search: [Google]
regret and mistakes.png
36 KB, 444x299
>>mfw started tumblr for homestucks in az with ex-friend
>>mfw regularly organized meetups at parks etc
>>mfw people showed up in full cosplay, scared little children, screaming about buckets and shit, some people even got kicked out of a few places if i remember right
>>mfw can't block these things from memory so must drink to forget
>>
>>8673357
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2lsGYMa2gA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzqYpGg0yFY
>>
>>8675034
Shit, Hetalia. If they teamed up with Homestuck and Vocaloid it'd be a giant Transformer of shame and painfully embarrassing memories.
>>
File: 1406938213256.jpg (20 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
1406938213256.jpg
20 KB, 500x367
>>8663348
Well you just need to get straight outta compton!
>>
Don't give Walmart and other souyless corporations money?
>>
>>8670204
Oh portland how I miss you
>>
I work at Joanns and I see people wearing parts of costumes all the time. Mainly homestuck shirts, doctor who scarves, and etc.
One time like four years ago this ridiculously attractive young guy came in in the most accurate 10th doctor costume I have ever seen.
Also once a girl in a partial fur suit. One of my coworkers who didn't know about furries got all excited and took a picture with her.
>>
File: 1445317574861.jpg (42 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1445317574861.jpg
42 KB, 640x360
>>8679410
They did and it was.

I was into Hetalia and Vocaloid, but I knew others who were into all 3.
>>
>>8661457
Most homestuck fans (and their cosplayers for that matter, too) tend to usually be 18 or under. The series is especially popular with middle-school aged kids and teenagers in general.

>>8661513
It's a very long webcomic about kids that play a video game that alters the world. The farther they get into playing this game, they get transported to rpg-like lands separate from their own planet (i think?). Later on these grey-skinned aliens known as the "trolls" get involved with the kids' adventures.
>>
>This is what I imagine what young rednecks would do, if they are going for an all-in fun weekend. Chillin' in walmart.

Except these aren't real rednecks, but cringey weebs in cosplays.

Jezuz. You don't have any parks or other nice public places to hang out?
>>
>>8680700

When I was a teen we all hung out in wal-mart because it was a bit more exciting to walk around looking at stuff and acting a fool than sitting on a bench talking.
>>
>>8680700
It's the new age mall rat. Us as teens had malls to go hang out in but now there's more Walmarts than malls so teens go hang out there instead.
>>
Back in the day...a time I try to forget....my gf and I helped each other organize homestuck meetups for the local fans to attend. I can't tell you how many times these kids wanted to do shit like "mallstuck" and "moviestuck". As the organizers we just told them those ideas were horrible and if they wanted to do them to leave us out of it. They sometimes did, we always stayed the fuck away from those meet ups. Thank god that shit is a distant memory now tbh.
>>
>>8681412
Plus, Walmart is open a lot later (in most places) and a lot of malls are enacting curfew rules where you can't walk around without a guardian if you're under 18 at certain hours. Here it starts at like 6pm on the weekend. I love it, because then I'm not tripping over these weebs when I shop. I imagine it sucks if you're that age and bored though.
>>
Hold the fuck up. People actually go to Walmart in cosplay just to hang out and there's not even a con going on nearby? The fuck is wrong with kids today?
>>
yep, only if we're having an unsolvable crisis at the con and absolutely have to.
it's alright though, like, most of the time the people in the area know it's going on so sometimes they'll ask about it and laugh and shit.
>>
MLP cosplay leading the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm6JnhPbHCQ
>>
>>8684564
I read the title and then noped right out.
>>
>>8662193
I'm with you anon, that butt looks great
>>
File: 1340818443582.png (127 KB, 257x250) Image search: [Google]
1340818443582.png
127 KB, 257x250
>>8681824
You live out in the middle of North Dakota, you spent all your allowance money on a costume, the local con has come and gone, the only "social" place in an hours drive is Wal Mart, you are attention starved, etc
>>
File: 1442769898714.gif (468 KB, 148x148) Image search: [Google]
1442769898714.gif
468 KB, 148x148
>>8661457
>homestuck
just googled it, damn now I realise how bad these cosplayers if they can be called that really are... i mean fuck.
>>
File: i have an idea.png (242 KB, 467x629) Image search: [Google]
i have an idea.png
242 KB, 467x629
as cringey as it can be, if the cosplayers are having genuine fun, not heavily bothering anybody, and not breaking any laws/store rules, its not that big of a deal. theyre bored teenagers, they have nothing better to do. in the end, theyre still kids. theyll grow out of this. just let them enjoy themselves while they can. theyll realize how cringey they are sooner or later.
>>
File: 58779.gif (278 KB, 490x278) Image search: [Google]
58779.gif
278 KB, 490x278
>>8662193
I finally looked at the video and that Celty has got it going on, goddamn.
>>
>>8684641
During the height of popularity, I once wore just a homestuck t-shirt to a con and got complimented on my "cosplay" like 3 times. There are no standards in that community.
>>
File: url (2).gif (376 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
url (2).gif
376 KB, 180x180
>>8684757
So buying a cos off ebay/ali/taobao/YouNameIt... makes me a pro cosplayer?
>>
>>8679771
I was also into both. I still don't understand how anyone could see Hetalia as anything more than a vaguely guilty pleasure to be enjoyed at cons or at home only.
>>8681725
Idk, you sound a lot more sensible than most homestucks. I feel bad for you and your gf having to spend time around people screaming 'BUCKET!!!!1' in public.
>>8686707
Absolutely.
>>
>>8684703
Yeah, but that's the thing. Most of them ARE bothering people. They're loud, often make really inappropriate comments, have little sense of personal space, and are too 3edgy5u to stop being dicks when asked to tone it down. I agree with your point about them being bored teens who aren't doing any harm, but a lot of them don't know where to stop.
>>
I've had a red shirt with a yellow star on it since like 07 and wear it on laundry days or when I'm feeling particularly lazy. Every time I wear that shit with jeans and sandals I get children staring at me while I shop. fuck you steven universe
>>
>>8679410
I don't really see Hetalia as much as Homestuck or Vocaloids these days. Probably even less than SnK's, which I've spotted on my campus.
>>
File: 132417018324-092.jpg (57 KB, 580x627) Image search: [Google]
132417018324-092.jpg
57 KB, 580x627
>>8673076
>incident

That's... pretty much what it boils down to, actually. He swung by his store for a case of pepsi and walked into a lolita in the aisles. He'd been working outside all day so he was in work clothes and "looked like shit" and he had his carry gun visible (works at the gas station, remember.) That really humiliated him because "open carry" protesters like to walk through grocery stores with fucking ak-47s on their backs and shit to "make a point" but of course they just scare the shit out of people. To hear him tell it, take the most cringeworthy walmart cosplay in this thread and make it a narutard in a trenchcoat + fedora with a katana on his back and that's what he was. The front end cashiers saw him powerwalk out beet-red and put two and two together and ribbed him pretty hard about it for a while, which I wish they hadn't done. He's had social anxiety pretty bad for years but he'd always go to cons with me (only thing he'd ever leave the house for on his free time, actually,) and he seemed to be a different guy in costume. We went as cosplay bros a lot; he was good with fabrics and I'm good with foam bits and armor-y stuff so we'd collaborate. He still helps me with that but just flat-out refuses to go to cons anymore, I think he's afraid he'll be recognized.

It really sucks.

pic related, pretty much how he felt about it
>>
>>8673142

He called it Mori, that's all I know about it, aside from people making threads about it here. I like making costumes, not buying them, but he knows all that shit. He used to browse /cgl/ even, until he swore off cons.
>>
>>8661196
This.
>>
>>8661495
I started tearing up I cringed so hard this fad needs to stop. Notice how it's all stupid children doing it.
>>
>2015
>shopping at WalMart.
WalMart is the place my family calls hell. We don't go there, we don't stop in the parking lot. We pray for forgiveness if we have to stop there for directions. WalMart is the cancer of America, and it needs to revive it's chemo.
>>
>>8694601
Wait, what? So he saw some girl dressed nicely and he was so embarrassed that she saw him that he swore off of cons even though he saw her outside a con? This is the most awkward shit ever.
Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.