[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vent Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: 136762147193333.jpg (53 KB, 350x266) Image search: [Google]
136762147193333.jpg
53 KB, 350x266
Didn't see one up, it's time again to complain about whatever you want as long as it's /cgl/ related. I'll start.

>people shitting on others who buy their costume
I'll never understand why people can get so upset about what others are doing in their free time, and make claims about how this means they're not as big as a fan as them.
>>
>>8688650
I feel the same, as long as someone isn't saying that they made it, then its all fine and good.
>>
Cosplayers who think they need to get on a soap box on their FB pages about ever 'cosplay issue'. I understand that these pages are their own and therefore they can post whatever they want and I dont need to follow them. However, I followed you originally because I wanted to see costumes updates not read your very enlightened ideas of "racism is bad you gais!" Even if I agree with their obvious message they just seem like they are talking down at everyone from their high horse.

Or when they try to take issues that do not involve them and insert themselves anyways. An action that usually backfires and then they are suddenly the victim because they stuck their nose into something they shouldnt have and there was repercussions.

I think a lot of cosplayers would avoid drama if they would only shut up and post costume stuff. Maybe I just need to go back to cosplay sites where people only really post their work not their feelings. But good sites like that seem to be really limited.
>>
>>8688650
Some people just don't like/are naturally bad at making shit, or a combo or the two. Doesn't mean they're lazy. Actually sourcing a good commissioner/costume can take a fuckton of time and money. Not wanting to get ripped apart for a shit homemade costume is also understandable. People need to get off their high horse.

Excluding competitions and shit though.
>>
Learn. To. Convert. Prices. Goddammit, people, it's not that hard. Stop PMing me or commenting on my sales with "how much is this in (insert currency here)?"

You can even check in PayPal what their present rate is if you want to be sure you're getting it right. FFS.
>>
french people.

they are so annoying and rude to sell to / buy from. almost tempted to put in my sales terms that I refuse to sell to someone in france
>>
>>8689751
And the lack of English skills. I have to use my shit school french most of the time
>>
Qutieland customer service has me ripping my hair out. Paid an invoice for a dress a month ago, and they get back to me saying they don't have any in stock, and waiting for confirmation that they can get the materials to make it.
>>
I feel as though my bank's been screwing me out of money.
>DD goes up for auction at a good starting price
>conversion rates pretty good atm, think im gonna go for it
>deposit 60000y to fj as thats the most I can afford atm
>outbid on dress, fj releases deposit immediately
>bank's taking a while to process the payment but the conversion rates pretty stable so nbd
>week and a half later still not procesed but conversion rate has improved
>yen crashes below original rate on tuesday
>suddenly "payment processed!1!"
>shitty bank probably waited and pocketed the difference (why am I not suprised)

does anyone know if banks are allowed to do that? I want to call them up and ask but I know jack-shit about finance so idk if thats just how they do things.
>>
>>8689762
ask for a refund. qutieland has gone down hill a LOT, so they aren't really reliable anymore
>>
>>8688650
i have never seen or talked to a lolita on this board that wasn't typing in between joyfully inhaling their own farts
>>
I'm super fucking annoyed that no stores anywhere close to me carry poster board bigger than like 2.5x2 feet. I'm trying to make a pyramid head cosplay and i can't fucking find a pasteboard big enough for the front sides of his helmet.
>>
>>8689802
Tbh, depends on your bank. If it's anything like mine, if you bitch enough, they may give you the difference lost but it depends on how much of a stink you wanna make about it.

The truth is, many of these processes are automated so the fact that it took so long to get back to you could've just simply been because the processing times were slow that particular day/week and the . But it does seem just the slightest bit shady that it only came back once the yen went to shit. If you can prove that fj processed your refund super quick, it could be worth fighting for.
>>
>>8688650
Dudes that can't have a good discussion about cosplaying.

Every time I bring it up during a break at work or in a group discussion there is always one fucking person who feels the need to shit on the concept:
>It's just for girls to attentionwhore
>It's weird and immature for guys to do it
>Only kissless virgins would think about it
>It's weird

I then point out that it's done because people such as myself really enjoy bringing characters to life and seeing others do the same, but by that point the conversation's dead.

I can never ever get a fucking good irl convo.
>>
>>8688650
I hate this "4chan is bad, lolitas are lovely" attitude nowadays. Just because we dress a certain way doesn't mean we have to bond or be nice. No, lolita doesn't have to be an accepting hobby and people leaving because of this were never fit for it anyway. It's just clothes, fashion you wear in your freetime. Nothing more and nothing less. People should stop shitting on 4chan and btb, it's annoying.
>>
>>8690391
>associating with normies
>>
>>8690391
I feel the same but with lolita. I learned long ago not to bring it up around so-called "normies" but there's this one chick in my classes/internship who once saw me in lolita and now takes every opportunity to bring it up and talk about how it's all girls with daddy issues who want to attract pedophiles. I always try to correct her but she's said it so many times that people are starting to take her opinion as fact.

I could talk for hours about things she likes that I think are stupid but I don't, because that's a cunty and unnecessary thing to do.
>>
>>8691204
This shit is the worst, I get the same thing.
>>
>>8689974
If you're in the US, go to a michaels custom framing shop and ask to buy one of their foam board. I know at my store we have 40x60 and it's $12
>>
The Australian $ is really shit right now against the ¥ never mind US $. I feel as though I'm a huge contributor to the jp inflation from buying lots & lots of Lolita. I want to stop but I will never stop.
>>
I hate it when people focus on my weight ibstead of the quality of my coord. In all the criticism I have gotten not a single comment was how to improve how I was coorded it was just "you should loose weight" or "chubby-chan" jokes. It's not like I'm oblivious to the fact I am a bigger girl but I ask for critique on how I was dressed not my weight. If you were to say my dress was illfitting or somethink of that ilk that would at least have been something but no. It was just "hurr durr fatty-chan"
Ugh. It's infuriating
>>
>buy contacts from Honeycolor on the 19th
>on the 22nd they've reached acceptance in Germany
>wait five days to email
>where is my shit
>they email back with nothing but a link to my tracking
>suddenly it's preparing for shipping
>hasn't moved beyond that stage since the 27th

Fucking hell.
>>
I feel that in the past year or two lolita has become increasingly competitive and it has put me off from the fashion. Because along with the competitiveness it's made some people downright mean and fame-hungry. I didn't become interested in the fashion because of drama or the holier-than-thou attitudes, I just wanted to be friends with girls who liked getting dressed up cutely. I love tea parties. I enjoy the surprise of attending meetups and seeing what everyone chose to wear.

I'm 24. I'm entering into this transitional phase of my life where I just got a degree, am trying to save money in my new entry level job, and then maybe have some fun when I can. I'm not really interested in e-famous people, behind the bows (I still read for laughs but I find the excessively personal drama SUPER juvenile), having some weird cult obsession with figureheads (Mana, Yan, Misako, etc), humblebrag about how poor and in debt I am from constant purchases, or to be the "best" dressed lolita wearing whatever the flavor of the month is.
>inb4 "You sound boring"
That's exactly my point. It's like if someone isn't caught up in the hype over popularity and having the latest releases they must be one unfun, uggo plain jane.

TL;DR I'll still love lolita as a fashion for a long time coming, but the attitudes that are sprouting around it has caused me to take a step back.
>>
>>8691552
it's an illusion. lolitas like you exist, but they do not self-promote, so you have less exposure to them. most lolitas are not competitive outside of getting the things they want.
>>
>after delays MM finally decided to ship Antoinette to me
>out for delivery this morning
>COME TO ME DREAM DRESS
>roommate calls me in the middle of class
>"the mailman left a slip for you. they want $120 for your package"
>won't get home until after post office closes and busy all day tomorrow
>have to wait till goddamn monday

sometimes i feel like i'm never going to get that damn dress.
>>
>be mulatto
>too dark to cosplay as white characters
>too light to cosplay as black characters
>only character I like who wears a mask is Sam fisher
>not enough autism to pretend like nobody cares if I'm the wrong color to play a certain character
This is also why I can't do war reenactments ;_;
>>
>>8691552
That's exactly how I am and also 24. I couldn't care less of the drama and try to steer clear of it. I wear lolita casually as much as possible and dont go to cons. As someone else said, there are a bunch of us, we just barely post online.
>>
I can't find lolita friends who aren't raging SJWs or hideously conservative. The minute I show a little bit of my opinion, someone argues with me. At the same time, both sides of the coin are all "if you're not saying anything, it means you are my enemy!"

I also want more local sane fandom friends to hang out with. All these self proclaimed" fujoshi" in my area have already shunned me for not liking Free! or some bland sports anime.
>>
>>8691939
This is my deal too. I'm very much a cynical asshole with an offensive sense of humor and views that SJWs would try to crucify me for. But I'm outward and friendly and even people who do see my 'actual' personality seem to be put off by the contrast to the 'front' I put on. I also enjoy some grimdark 2edgy animu, but my fujoshit friends are angry at me for not enjoying Black Butler.
>>
I don't get the hate against fat people. Not just here on /cgl/ but on the internet in general. And I know it's irl too, but people generally try not to make it obvious.

I guess the thing I hate the most when I see people defending someone who's underweight to hell and back on how they're naturally thing, but anyone who's fat is just a lazy bastard that shouldn't exist or be appreciated until they lose weight. For fucks sake, HAES isn't taking over society (at least not in Europe) and seeing people who don't think food addiction is a legitimate thing just baffle me.
It's not that hard to understand that if someone can have Anorexia or similar disorders, there's an opposite too, people who can't control their eating habits.

>>8691435
Sorry to hear that anon, you're unfortunately pretty much are evidence to my vent post.
>>
>>8691939
>>8691958
I think you guys would be better off just finding non lolita friends for that stuff. Lolita meets are mainly for interacting with people who share your interest in fashion. Asking for so much compatibility with Lolitas is kind of asking for the moon. Sometimes it happens but why do you need the people you want to share your thoughts with to wear the dresses? Everyone has separate groups for things like that.
>>
>>8691987
It's not that I want them to have the samr views as me, it's just that I don't want them to jump down my throat the minute I breathe an opinion or not say anything at all.
>>
>>8691987
I think you misunderstood what >>8691958 is trying to say. Anon says they can't have a stable reputation or presence with their comm because of their views or opinions. I honestly feel the same way because when all that Ferguson bullshit happened, I stayed quiet and my comm had the nerve to say "oooh, why aren't you saying anything? It means you're a racist!" The anime thing might be for another group of friends, though.
>>
>>8691939
To be fair, sports anime are the biggest thing among fujoshi right now and if you don't like the same anime, what would you even talk about?
>>
>>8691283
all of the employees at all of the craft stores around me are incompetent fucking morons who have no idea where anything in their store is, I ended up going to hobby lobby and found a perfectly sized one though. Seriously, the hobby lobby in my area is the shit.
>>
>>8692053
Isn't that a case of you dealing with some pretty insane people in your comm or exaggerating what happened, though? Your comm being that way isn't because Black Lives Matter happened, it's because they would have been that way about anything that took its place.

Sometimes you get a bum deal (honestly, with a lot of comms) and it sucks.
>>
>>8691958
To be honest, you do sound kind of cringey. I'm not trying to be a dick, but maybe look at how you interact with people and see if there's a problem that makes you really unappealing to be around. It helps a lot--not to change who you are, but just...be a better you, I guess. Like loving lolita fashion and going from ita to well dressed.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-10-29-22-47-50.png (615 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-29-22-47-50.png
615 KB, 1080x1920
College cosplay clubs. We have one at our school, a university in new york. Promotes mediocrity. Pic is their Halloween contest they had tonight.

The amount of cringe is insufferable.
>>
>>8692307
Wow, even the shittiest cosplayers I know outrank them. That's some impressive mediocrity
>>
>>8692307
They look pretty shitty, but I'm kind of stoked at the 90s superboy costume. I had the biggest crush on 90s superboy as a kid.
>>
>>8692310
>>8692311
Also, the one in white is supposedly her Facebook roleplay OC
>>
Shoutout to the fat greasy-haired Harley Quinn cosplayer that grabbed my handmade plush from my AA table and started intentionally tugging their limbs and heads with force to see if her demon spawn kids could play with them without ripping them apart, instead of asking me about the construction like a normal human being. Still bitter about that.
>>
>planned youmacon for nearly a year
>work schedule shifts
>fucked out of yet another con

I'm getting tired of this shit. I've registered and paid for twenty cons this year and went to two.

If the schedule would remain as is instead of constantly shifting, it'd be fine but now the only time I'll have is outside of con season.
>>
I bought from two less popular Japanese secondhand stores, and now I'm so scared that my stuff won't come before I move in May, or that it will be sent to the wrong place. :(

I was addicted to LM for the past month until I realized how little stuff was actually listed there. I'm already seeing a lot of relisted items
>>
>>8692338
Japanese people are usually very trustworthy when it comes to buying merchandise.
>>
>>8691584
>implying there aren't tons of great tan characters
>implying there were no mulatto people that moved to the north and fought or spied for the U.S. during the civil war
>>
I had a milkim ring in my cart and my internet cut out for like a minute and some dicklicker stole it from my cart the moment I entered my PayPal. Fuck you.
>>
File: nass_stare.jpg (130 KB, 666x462) Image search: [Google]
nass_stare.jpg
130 KB, 666x462
normies who win costume contests with skanky-ass party city costumes
>>
Honestly as a kingdom hearts fan it fucking infuriates me how embarrassing the majority of the fanbase is.
>>
>>8689038
>"how much is this in (insert currency here)?"
I don't know how you can deal with people like that.

Like.....have you ever heard of fucking google? Heave you ever heard of doing your own research for the one second before sending a meaning message? Fucking A
>>
>>8691204
Why not? The bitch is totally fucking with you, call her shit out
>>
>>8690407
Yeah the fake loveliness that some lolitas try to promote is a little sickening. Some people are definitely more sugary than others when it comes to personality, but not EVERYONE is. Definitely not every lolita out there.
>>
>>8691204
I don't understand how you can not be cunty when addressing her. Get vicious, she could probably use being knocked down a peg or three.
>>
>>8692284
That's because big chain craft stores don't care about their employees and don't train their general staff or give them enough time to learn where anything is. Joanns I'm looking at you.
>>
>>8691204
I can kind of get how people can think that, but can't they also look at lolita and see that's it pretty? I like it's because it's pretty, and I have a great relationship with my dad. My secret dream is actually that we'll someday branch out of the engineering company that he works for and I'm going to be interning at soon and we'll start our own business together. Father-daughter engineering team.
>>
Found a dress I wanted for super cheap, sent the link to my friend that is my shopping service. Took 2 days to try to buy it and it was sold out by then.
I know my friend is doing me the favor and I'm grateful but is not like they didn't open the link after 2 days, they just didn't try to buy it.
>>
>>8692603
That's why you use a real shopping service.
>>
>>8692340
Not on the auctions they're not
>>
>>8692338

Now's a bad time to judge the secondhand market, though. I know at least myself and my friend haven't bothered posting anything for sale because Holy Lantern seems to have wiped out a lot of wallets, and what's left seems to be the bottom-fishing bargain hunter types (like this one girl wanted not one, but TWO dresses for $100, and we're not talking older, worn out dresses, this is two newer dresses, new with tags still attached.) We're kind of reluctant to take the work to list anything that hasn't been listed already, only to have to deal with girls who apparently want to hit as low as they can.
>>
>>8692423
In relation to that, normies who think that a contest is rigged because the winner isn't the one that got the most cheers from the public. That's not how it works for fuck's sake
>>
>>8692307
Man, who cares? What are they doing to hurt you? They look like they're having fun.
>>
Yep.. I need to vent.

WHY DOES EVERYONE CARE ABOUT HOW MUCH FUCKING MONEY I SPEND?! I earn it all myself at my JOB. You know those things people have to get MONEY to SPEND. I go to University full time, I still pay for all of the necessary shit I need I PAY MY BILLS ON TIME EVERY MONTH and then I spend money on MY HOBBIES. What the fuck is the big deal?

ITS MY FUCKING MONEY. WHY DOES EVERYONE ELSE GET SO SHITTY ABOUT WHAT I SPEND IT ON ESPECIALLY SEEING AS IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM.

Everyone else can spend money on modifying their cars, or buying the latest fucking iPhone BUT GOD FORBID I BUY A $200 DRESS THAT RETAINS ITS FUCKING VALUE.
HOLY.
FUCKING.
SHIT.

This has been pissing me off so much recently. I wish people would just fuck off and quit asking about it.. I dont go around and tell other people to stop spending their money on things they enjoy? Fuck I even save money every week and then the second I spend any of it people jump on my case..?

Honestly the next person who even fucking mentions it I am going to rip them apart!!!!

And fuck people who outbid me in the last second and make the auction auto-extend.. they can get fucked too..
>>
>>8692691
Or having the judges say you didn't make enough of your costume to enter, and giving top prize to a girl that literally cut off the skirt of her own wedding dress into a mini skirt length (raw edge showing) and glued -GLUED- on some Christmas bead garland.
>I had at least done a lot of real sewing onto my altered store bought base.
>>
>>8692732
But anon, clothes are ~*~trivial~*~ and don't you know you're being ~*~vain~*~ and after all most normies beat the shit out of their clothes after a few years rendering them as useless rags anyway so why should you ~*~value~*~ your hobby?
>>
>>8692747
Its not even about the clothes, Anon. I'm just shitty people feel like they always have to comment..

Like no shit, I just spent $200 on a dress, no shit, thats a lot of money, no shit I have bought several things for that price..Thanks for being the 10th person to tell me this week..

I just can't understand why people ALWAYS have to say something..? What compels people to even say anything.. what I am doing with my money somehow effects them?? NOPE!

Are they trying to make me feel bad about it? Spending money on something I enjoy?? I just can't understand it.. argh
>>
Server maintenance in 10 minutes.
>>
>>8692758
I think it is going to be partly curiousity but also partly worrying about your spending habits. For every lolita who is good about how they buy stuff there are those who get into debt over lolita and sell dresses for rent.
>>
>>8692758
>Are they trying to make me feel bad about it?
Yes. Because how dare you want to put money down on something that's seen in society as trivial and shallow.
>>
>>8692796
It's funny how hypocritical things can get
>>
>>8691435
But not infuriating enough to catalyze you into doing anything about it? (because if you were working on losing weight, you wouldn't feel so annoyed, as you'd be aware it's just temporary)

Do you just enjoy feeling bad so much?
>>
>>8692909
>you wouldn't be annoyed getting bullied over something if you knew it was temporary

That's poor logic and makes no sense in reality.
>>
>>8692736
Gonna need some pictures of this Christmas bridal tramp monstrosity, anon.
>>
>>8692736
Shit, was it at a big con ?
>>
>>8693008
if you read the posts you'd see it was a normie costume contest
>>
>skinny-fat, used to be really big
>look good in cosplays and coords in real life
>every photo look about twice as heavy as I really am, because of genetic double chin
>my mother is chronically underweight and still has the same fat-ass chin/neck
>my own weight loss hasn't shifted it
>with a friend in one photo who is literally about double my weight but I look like the fat one
>can't afford surgery
>salty as all hell, and probably will be until I can afford surgery, when I will be old and it won't be worth it anyway
>>
>Big con I go to is going on
>Stuck in University in a different province
>Entire fb feed is of con
>First time not going in years
>Only cons I have here are so shitty and cringy
>>
>>8692758
Iktf

Friends and bf judge the hell out of me for buying dresses, but I quit all my other hobbies which involved a lot of travel and event costs. Lolita isn't an expensive hobby at all once you've been doing it for a while
>>
>>8692736
I don't even get it, what was that supposed to be
>>
>>8692926
>bullied

Give me a fucking break. Someone called her a fatty when she voluntarily posted coord photos online.
This is bullying?
Bullshit.
Even the girl who posted that complaint wasn't stupid enough to call it bullying in her post; I hope it's not you.
>>
>be fat
>cosplay fat characters because I'm not dumb enough to believe that no one will care
>post in FB group
>ask for cosplay concrit
>"lose w8"
>LITERALLY COSPLAYING A CANON FAT CHARACTER
>"thanks anything else?"
>"how big are your tits?"

I fucking hate FaceBook.

>inb4 "don't be fat", I'm working on it. It takes time.
>>
>>8692909
There are studies and shit showing that calling fat people fat doesn't make them want to lose weight or motivate them. It doesn't change shit. Especially not anons online.
>>
>>8693146
Don't bother anon, there's always going to be a person going "Well but people yelling at me I was a disgusting fat pig helped me loose weight so it works for everyone!!" which is the only reply those people will listen to.
>>
>>8692321
I hope you made her pay for the damage.
>>
>>8693073
Words affect people anon. Just because words don't affect you in the same way doesn't mean nobody else is allowed to feel bad. Even you are trying to make that anon feel bad about themselves i.e. "hurrdurr you're still fat so you must not want the harassment hard enough!" Now that is some bullshit.
>>
>planning to do funny cosplay group with my brother
>literally never seen it done
>post plans online
>cosplaying friend likes it
>a week later
>"it is my dream to cosplay these characters with my brother"
>quite literally, fuck you
Why do people do this? You can cosplay the same character as a friend but blatant copying is just shit. At least leave a little bit of time in between.
>>
>>8693020
i feel your pain anon. learning to pose in lolita and good camera angles might really help in the meantime it did for me
>>
>>8693270
I already know I look about 10 times better from a higher camera angle, but it's not always possible to tell someone that, sometimes photographers take it like a personal insult. But thank you for the advice and empathy.
>>
Ani-Mia

As much as I love your breasts please stop glorifying them in every single cosplay.
>>
>>8690391
The only time anything anime-related came up at work:
>coworker: "my boyfriend was watching some japanese cartoon"
>me: "which one?"
>coworker: "i don't know, they were having sex, it was weird"
>coworker2: "i hate anime, it's so stupid"
>coworker: "i know, just give me my Next Top Model and i'm happy!"

Then, talking about games:
>coworker: "i'm such a nerd"
>me: "do you play any games?"
>coworker: "i watch my boyfriend play Minecraft sometimes"

And then this nail in the shit coffin:
>coworker saw TMNT movie
>I assert that Donatello is the best turtle
>every coworker in the room says "no, Mikey is the best"

The moral of the story is, fuck coworkers. They'll never comprehend your power level.
>>
>>8693397
You can be a nerd without gaming, anon. But if that's all their evidence of being a nerd, that's shit.
>>
>>8693400
Their other evidence is that they like The Big Bang Theory.
>>
>>8693412
Shit. Fair enough.
>>
File: Feelsorryforme.png (27 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Feelsorryforme.png
27 KB, 200x200
>>8693181
>>
>>8693441
That's not the same and you know it.

The original anon wasn't even whining but just commenting they wish people had other things to say. They weren't going "boohoo someone on the internet called me fat!!".
>>
File: 394260_3688811424387_859254586.jpg (32 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
394260_3688811424387_859254586.jpg
32 KB, 960x600
>Getting myself hyped for a series that I want to cosplay from
>Decide to read some fanfics
>Find a really good one, it updates weekly
>Author demands that the readers must comment or they will not update the fic
>Any rude comments means it requires x amount of nice comments to make up for the rude comment, or no fic update
>Kind of annoyed, but I understand authors want comments, ok.
>Author and a friend start putting up series of one shots for Halloween or something, they have nothing to do with the good fic that is weekly
>I guess some people read it but no one commented
>Writes in AN on the good fic that if no one goes and comments on that fic they will stop uploading the good fic until it has enough comments.
>Are you fucking kidding me?

I get it, I really do, that fanfic authors want comments and reviews. But it's to the point where this chick just threatens her readers? It's so goddamn annoying and immature, why the hell should I be forced to read some other fic I am not interested in, then write feedback on it, just so she can keep uploading the fic I actually do want to read? The good fic is relatively popular in a small fandom, so there's a decent amount of regular commenters and new readers. But then she gets mad if new readers comment on old chapters, just so much stupid shit. This girl is such a brat, is this normal behavior?
>>
>>8693580
I need to know the fanfic now, that's some level of ego I haven't seen in a while.

It also hurts when you finally find a decent fic for the pairing that isn't all that popular and then they never update again.
Or people writing said pairing in a horrible OOC way.
>>
>>8693020
There are some exercises you could try doing for the double chin. If you try hard/long enough I think it could look better. Also try all those weird facial exercizers.
>>
>>8693441
You seem awfully bothered.
>>
>>8693584
I'd rather not say because I'm so paranoid of this author finding out anyone shit talk her fic and then she'll stop updating. Because I really like this damn fanfic for some reason, the writing isn't even super good, it's mediocre.

But I feel you on the obscure pairing thing. I hate when people somehow manage to just completely ruin a character, or turn a pairing into some seme/uke bullshit. Fanfiction.net is like the fanfic graveyard, where fics go to never be updated again...since 2008 or some shit.
>>
>>8693606
It's the worst when people take one character trait and completely drive it into the ground by overusing it in a fic. It ruins both the character and fanfic.
>>
File: 1432000820441.jpg (36 KB, 524x468) Image search: [Google]
1432000820441.jpg
36 KB, 524x468
>worrying for over a week about what to wear for a lolita tea party
>see on fb someone is going to wear a pokemon lolita cosplay to it
>>
File: you incorrigible fucker.png (19 KB, 184x178) Image search: [Google]
you incorrigible fucker.png
19 KB, 184x178
>Acquire fucking beautiful piece of sewing machinery
>The only thing this motherfucker doesn't do is make coffee
>Struck by intense urge to make a Water Tribe cosplay that looks like real tribal garb
>I look like the whitest motherfucker to ever motherfuck
>Afraid I'll spend the entire weekend of any con I go to explaining to people that I am not, in fact, an appropriating white bitch
>Motherfucker I'm Cherokee by blood and raised Chinook because I grew up in the PNW
>But people just see Haida/Tlingit fiber arts on a girl with pale skin and go on a tumblrina witch hunt
>mfw
>>
>>8693181
Just because someone isn't saying nice things to you, doesn't mean you're being bullied.
Just because someone is saying downright mean things to you, doesn't mean you're getting bullied.

Nice attempt to distract from your tumblr-esque use of the word. All you're doing is making it worse for people who actually ARE bullied, because this sort of shit is what leads people to assume they're just being snowflakes with wounded feefees.
>>
>>8693615
I feel spoiled by the good fanfics I manage to find every now and then (which are almost always never completed or will be completed) because I have read such an amount of shitty fanfics to the point where it actually makes me hate the source material.
For example, I am currently stuck in some stupid ass RP that I volunteered to do to be nice. The girl I'm doing it with is not very good at writing, and she makes everyone so out of character. We're each a certain character from the series, but she kept writing her guy so OOC to the point where I fucking can't stand him in the manga anymore, despite how I liked him well enough beforehand. She just latches onto these tropey traits he has, and just runs this guy into the ground with how she is writing him. I got so sick of her stupid forced yaoi porn that I introduced every other character to make her write more people. Yet every single time I get a plot rolling, she sends them out of the room for some reason, because she wants these two main characters to fuck so badly. Oh, and there is a designated "seme" and "uke." It's a nightmare.
>>
>>8693620
look on the bright side now you can wear whatever you like safe in the knowledge there's no way you'll be the worst dressed.
>>
>everyone at work is dressing up
>I'll be able to wear lolita during my shift
>nervous as hell that I might sweat a lot or my deodorant might ruin/discolor my black blouse

Seriously is there some safe brand of antiperspirant to use? Normally I'm an old spice gal but I know that stuff can discolor clothing.
>>
>>8693663
I hate it when this happens. Brown people aren't fucking inuit either but tumblr doesnt lynch them
>>
>>8693663

Go for it. The kids who give a shit stay home and jerk off at how great of a person they are while telling people to kill themselves. I've been to plenty of cons with plenty of pale korra's and they seemed to be having a great time, lots of pictures taken of them.

I'd say try and tan a little if you can but other than that, remember that the really obnoxious tumblr tards are actually a small percent of the population that actually goes outside and does things... Like conventions. I doubt you'd run into any trouble and if you do you can just say 'Excuse me?' in a firm but polite tone & they'll probably shit themselves.
>>
File: 1347918416097.jpg (53 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
1347918416097.jpg
53 KB, 500x461
>>8692423
Speaking of this

>Spent all night adding finishing touches on My Queen of Souls costume (Book of life)
>Go completely all out, making sure of accuracy
>Get third place
>Second place was 2 white chicks in frozen beanies (the movie) and tutus
>MFW
>>
>>8693856

Speaking of, what I really fucking hate is how every-fucking-thing is problematic now and you can't so much as breathe without being a 'racist/transmisogynist/fatphobe'

You're a guy wearing a dress for a laugh? Insulting transwoman and LITERALLY causing them to die. A pale girl cosplaying your fave character who happens to be some shade of brown? Racist white bitch. Skinny girl cosplaying their fave character who happens to be fat/big? Ugly skinny bitch.

They're fucking worse than the shitty MRA's & right wingers when they decide to drag someone. Another side of the same hate-group coin cause I'm pretty sure bullying teenagers doesn't do anything about actual legislation and the people in government positions that are actually hurting whatever 'marginalized group of the day' they care about. They just use fancy sounding leftist words to justify telling kids to kill themselves.

UGH I am so glad I never got sucked into that ship but I am still very angry.
>>
>>8693859
I still remember a HS costume contest where the 1st place winner was simply because the person bought this plastic mask with some bleeding effect on it that the judges all loved.
>>
>>8693856

Every time I think "People won't give a fuck" I remember the fandom putting a blond white girl on full blast because she didn't even bother to wear a wig, started calling her "White Supremacist Korra"??????? idk man. I would try to tan to get away from that but I'm just fucking white enough that I burn first, and then the burn turns into a tan. I ain't here for that.
>>
>friend of mine and few groups of girls in our comm picks on a newbie for full 3~4 months
>newbie couldn't take a joke, almost calls cops at one of the girls
>the girl has been with the comm for pretty long time, is on great terms with the mods
>the newbie has been contacting the mods for advice, as soon as she drops the name of the girl she is attacked by one of the mods
>some confidential info about 'bullying' spreads outside the mod circle
>the newbie vanishes
>heard through grapevine that allegedly attempted suicide because no one took her side

Good riddance. Nothing is more worse than an ita with a shitty sense of humor
>>
>>8693865
>>8693856
All of this just reminds me of that bs about the Steven Universe fandom on tumblr harassing some girl into trying to commit suicide. Like every piece of art she did was instantly problematic. She calls someone "dude" and it apparently triggers that person and then she is a transphobic or whatever. I feel like "dude" and "bro" are just genderneutral anymore.
>>
>>8693880
what even was the joke that was played on her? kind of shitty that they were being dicks to her, that ain't cool.
>>
File: 1439152636305.gif (987 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1439152636305.gif
987 KB, 320x287
>>8693885
>Steven Universe fandom

SU was a mistake
>>
>>8693887
They just pretended to be her stalker and scared her shitless. It quickly blew out of proportion though.
>>
>>8693888
It really was. But at least it seems like most of the tumblr autism got caught up in it. The rest of us are free of their blight
>>
>>8693880
"picking" on someone for a joke is a one or two time thing, anon, not a group activity that lasts for months. At that point it's harassment. Your friends are adults now and that high school behavior takes on a different meaning in the adult world. I sincerely hope this is bait.
>>
>>8693890
As someone who has dealt with a stalker, that's not really funny. That's pretty shitty. They should have just did a one off prank.
>>
>>8693880
>calling bullying humour
???
>>
>>8693890
>pretended to be her stalker
>for 4 months
I'm sorry anon but that's the level of dedication that makes it basically real stalking. Your friends have issues. I hope you never slip up and piss them off.
>>
>>8693880
is this bait?
If not your comm sounds like shit and you sound like a cunt.
>>
>>8693683
Well, at least you admit you're being a mean, fucked up, sour bitch I suppose.
>I'm not the original anon btw
>>
>>8693907
>>8693902
>>8693899
>>8693901
>>8693897
>>8693896
Goddamn hold up.
If I posted a pic of her y'all would probably stop defending her tho.

Or did the bitch come back from the dead to samefagg whiteknight herself?lmaooooooo
>>
>>8693901
Tbh it was fucking hilarious. We mentioned so much shit about her online that everyone in the country eventually thought she was the one shitstirring and self posting for attention.
>>
>>8693976
>>8693978

Not even any of the people you're replying to, but seriously, you're a cunt and your comm is full of other cunts. It's a real cunt party up in there. So much cunt that passerbys can't even smell their upper lips.

A joke is a joke. What you described was full-fledged harassment, and yes, actual bullying (not Tumblr's definition). You and your buddies belong in the cringe thread, tbh. It doesn't matter if a girl is ita, it's not cool or funny to be manipulative, destroy someone's reputation, and make them feel like they're in real danger.

I hope to god I just took bait.
>>
>>8693978
>Tbh it was fucking hilarious. We mentioned so much shit about her online that everyone in the country eventually thought she was the one shitstirring and self posting for attention.
So, in other words, you are a giant bully and a stalker? Mm. K. You're a shit. If you think that is hilarious, then you're a shitty human being and I really don't care who this person is, you and your friends took it too far, and the mods failed to be moderators.
>>
File: wakemeup.png (88 KB, 498x246) Image search: [Google]
wakemeup.png
88 KB, 498x246
>flirting with qt one night, making all the right moves, lots of playful touching; known them a while, but they've never been this interested in me before
>don't see them for a month due to study
>go to party with them tonight
>virtually ignores me

I thought I was getting somewhere; now I'm sad.
>>
>>8693976
>defending her
>every response is about what a cunt you and your comm members are
No one is judging her, I'm sure she's ita as fuck. But having shitty/amateur coording skills means you, as a more experienced lolita in her comm, reach out and give her advice, or at least ignoe her. Not, you know, giggle about some shitty group of people making her life miserable. Jesus. Are you a psychopath? I hope you don't have pets.
>>
File: hahahaha__.gif (289 KB, 400x471) Image search: [Google]
hahahaha__.gif
289 KB, 400x471
>>8694408
You must be new here.
>>
File: spoopy.gif (2 MB, 352x196) Image search: [Google]
spoopy.gif
2 MB, 352x196
I have to vent about this black/orange color scheme with the skeletons in the corner. It's awful and makes my eyes hurt.
Also all of the goddamned halloween witch coords.
>>
>>8693890
"Just" stalking someone
Holy shit how much of a sociopath do you have to be
>>
>>8693976
Actually no? I wouldn't stop defending someone getting attacked for no god damn reason? I swear to Jesus if this is really bad bait I hope your cat pukes on your brand. If you don't like what someone decides to wear or do with their life, you ignore them like a rational human being.
>>
>>8694411
There's a difference between being the average seagull and stalking and bullying someone, as a group of adults, for months on end. That is the most pathetic shit I've ever seen on /cgl/. Unless this girl killed your puppy and smeared the blood on your dream dress, she didn't deserve that shit.
>>
>>8693397
Wow this.
I became a loner in my job because I could not deal with that kind of shit anymore. I became so quiet because they make me mentally exhausted.

Once one of the guys started to read 'kinds of hentai' FROM REDDIT and I told him 'yeah, I know them' and he yelled LOL ANON YOU ARE INTO HENTAI!!!
>>
>>8694826
From 9gag, not reddit.
>>
>>8693161
Nah, she didn't actually damage anything because my stuff's pretty solid. But I unintentionally offended her when I told her so long as her children weren't rough or actively tugging on different parts they were age-appropriate. She looked like I projectile vomited all over her because I guess I insinuated that her kids were shits. But then when I asked her if they were gentle players she laughed in my face and told me no, and that they would need two identical toys because they fight over things constantly. She bought nothing.
>>
>>8694411
No, fuck you and go to hell. You're a goddamn sociopath.
>>
>>8693880
>>8693887
>>8693976
If you're talking about Atlanta Comm, stop pulling shit out of your ass just because there's no public update. She did go to the hospital but it wasn't for that reason. Ultimately, there's a reason she remained silent to the mods and kept so low since (if she already wasn't before then), because that one salty mod keep spreading private issues she trusted with unnecessary members.

Seriously, fuck off with this topic
>>
>>8694411
Ahah I'm the anon you're replying to and I see others have already put you in your place. I hate to break it to you but /cgl/ is not Psycho Bitches R Us, we're like 95% sane people who want to be able to talk about shit anonymously. You're not among friends here, Lizzie Borden.

>>8695022
Man the ATL comm has some issues... Either way I feel for that girl, I hope she's okay.
>>
>>8693146
I call bull. How would you even reliably test that?
>>
>be me, join panel group
>fuckin nothing but drama and crap
>try to keep my head low, survive con without being branded "unreliable"
>leader has terrible reputation really young. Spoiled, whiny, angry. Gives me passive aggressive bullshit even tho I kept my mouth shut about her overcharging me for the room.
>alright have a nice life I don't wanna deal with U again
>ignore her for two months
>at party drunk
>get message "h-hey anon, would u do me a huge favor with no recognition?" -typical buttering up bullshit complimenting my skills
>LMAFO nah fuck you

Like? What do you expect? How stupid do I look?
>>
>>8695136
Why don't you try googling it, anon? Not that hard.

That aside though I do believe the studies that say unhealthy food is addictive much like habit-forming drugs are. If you tell a crack addict that crack is bad for them and they should really stop, they're just gonna be like "well no shit" and just avoid talking to you in order to avoid that confrontation.

Food-addicted fat people are the same way. They know what they're doing is bad for them, telling them they need to drop the pounds isn't helpful or effective. They need intervention, support, and therapy. But like hell most fat people will accept that.
>>
>>8695157

I actually did Google it.

I found one study that found that fatter women were more nervous than thinner women when being filmed giving a dating site pitch. Also that all women, but moreso fat women, are more nervous with video compared to audio.

That's pretty meaningless because no shit people with less confidence in their looks will be more nervous being videotaped. The creator of the experiment does try and attribute that to poor weight loss motivation, by saying "if you get nervous, you'll be less likely to lose weight", which is not substantiated, investigated, or upheld by the experiment.

There was another experiment that dealt with discrimination rather than insults or harsh advice. That one was more direct and conclusive, but I wonder how valid it is, given that the only measure of discrimination was in the eyes of the person being surveyed, and it strikes me that the people who take the least amount of personal responsibility are often the ones who believe they are most discriminated against. This is anecdotal, of course, but I find it hard to trust that people are unbiased about things like that.

Then a third study, which established that a group of people who receive instruction on setting obtainable goals and motivational techniques do better at weight loss than people who do not, which is no doubt a shock to everybody.

In short, I didn't find any conclusive studies to support your claim, and I've heard more anecdotal evidence towards negative stimulus bring conducive to weight loss than the alternative.
>>
>>8695157

But yes, I do agree, and there are many conclusive studies on the addictive properties of junk food and overeating.

The problem is that stopping a behavior can only be accomplished by the person wanting to change and having motivation to do so. I'll admit that negative stimulus doesn't work for everybody, because some people respond to strife by turning over and taking it, but many more are willing to be forged in fire.

The ultimate fact is that the only thing that will ever work is the person finding the motivation within themselves. Intervention, insults, thinspiration, support, tools, guidance, and therapy can all try to make it easier or trigger the motivation, but it's ultimately up to each person to find what works for them.

In short, insults and candid truths Do work for a lot of people, and just as you shouldn't pan group therapy (which doesn't work for a lot of people), you can't pan negative or candid reinforcement.
>>
>>8695172
It's not "my claim" as I am not the person you initially replied to, I was merely suggesting you try to look around before asking to be spoonfed. A simple "I wasn't able to find relevant studies" would have been fine. I've heard from fat friends that insults and meanness only depress them more and make them feel more helpless and dependent on the comfort of food, but obviously this is anecdotal.
>>
I'm so pissed
>getting into lolita
>gf decided to tell me she doesn't want me to wear lolita when we're together because she hates it and it makes her feel ashamed and embarassed
>ask why because wtf, I've worn other fashions that attract more attention and she never had problems
>"you look like a 5 year old"
>the very little I own is super lowkey and simple, the only print I own is a vitral print
>get into huge argument over this

I don't know if I'm being stupid and should just not wear it with her or if I'm right because I'm really angry that she's making up shit to justify not liking lolita and not wanting me to wear it when we're together
>>
>>8693890
You sound like my ex girlfriend. But not because we're in the cosplay scene and she's the Weeb/ita. But it's actually sickening to know that there's more than her and her disgusting group out there. Stalking is not a joke and should never be treated as such.

I hope this comes back and bites you all on the ass; you bitter vile bitches.
>>
>>8695298
Disregard this, she broke up with me.
>>
>>8695337
The fuck.
Anon, you're better off. This was all fucking immature as hell.
>>
>>8695337
Because of you wearing lolita, or because of another reason? Regardless, I don't know what your relationship was like (and I can't really know based on just a few greentext points) but it sounds like you're better off this way. You'll be alright, anon.
>>
>>8695338
We're both immature sometimes but I feel this was just ridiculous

>>8695343
Because apparently I don't respect her "comfort zone" and "clearly need someone else that is better for me" because I told her I refuse to be policed on what I wear because she hates the fashion and because I told her she didn't know the difference between politely asking me not to wear something that brings attention and telling em she doesn't want me to wear it around it around her because she hates it, doesn't like the attention, it's ugly and tacky and that I look like a 5 year old in lolita.

I'm just so fucking angry and I can't stop crying because this was so fucking ridiculous on both sides
>>
>>8695172
>it strikes me that the people who take the least amount of personal responsibility are often the ones who believe they are most discriminated against.

You're not the only one to notice that.
>>
>>8695347
It's okay anon, cry it out. You have a right to be angry, it's incredibly stupid, but like I said you're better off this way. I understand how someone can be uncomfortable with alt fashion (especially lolita, and I say this as someone who wears it daily) but if you wearing an offbeat alt fashion was a good enough reason for her to berate you, argue with you endlessly, and break up with you, it doesn't seem like your relationship was a very good one.
Let yourself be angry and sad for as long as you need, but don't wallow. You'll be alright on your own, and eventually will find someone who accepts you as you are, lolita and all.
>>
>>8693880
Fuck you. I know who you are. You stupid cunts... you've driven more than one person to the hospital and multiple people from ATL comm with your "stalking" pranks. I hope she sees this and decides to call the cops on your dumb asses.
>>
>>8693865
I recently had a white friend come to me worried that she was being some kind of "gross white savior" for feeling upset on behalf of a mixed race friend who was being harassed over her skin color and cosplay. Like, not even trying to speak up and defend the mixed friend, white friend just felt guilty for being mad that some people were treating her friend poorly and was worried that fucking compassion was showing her privilege or some bullshit. I'm not one to bitch much about sjws, but some of that rhetoric is so toxic.
>>
>>8695366
She came to talk to me again and said she feels bad and understood she had a stupid attitude. I'm not really sure what to think so I might just step back for a while to think things through.
Thank you, anon.
>>
>>8695177
I apologize, because I didn't mean to insult you. I listed them rather than just say "I couldn't find any relevant" to avoid the implication that I hadn't even looked, or had been oblivious to them.

I also listed their specifics to raise a point about blind trust in "studies", which I find is very prevalent, as people rarely read a study to learn what it actually found, or check the Method to see if it was sound, they just take whatever it's reported as at face value. There is an SMBC comic that is very on point about science reporting.

In any case, I'm sure it's true that your friends don't react well to negative stimulus, but I know a lot of people for whom that was the turning point, where they finally realize that something has to change.

So, "your mileage may vary", I guess.
>>
>>8692327
Sounds like you need to have a talk with work. When I put in a request off, I note that its for something that I've already paid for.
>>
>>8692296
The thing is that I'm well adjusted and know what's socially acceptable and appropriate in person. These days with social media, or mutual friends, it's easy for lolitas to get wind of 'what I'm really like.' It's like they can't comprehend that people are complex.
>>
>>8695422
I wouldn't let that backpedaling bitch back into my life, but its your call.
>>
>>8695174
Now I'm curious what kind of people insults work for. I just look at the person doing the insulting and think, "what an asshole."
>>
>>8691939
>>8691958
The very first person I ever met who called themselves a "Social Justice Warrior" was a lolita at a convention.

This was before the phrase become popular and their toxic behavior became commonly known.

I thought her interest in progressive politics was wonderful - until a mutual friend told me she was demanding my friend abandon me because my politics weren't "progressive" enough for her tastes.
>>
Back when I stayed in good shape I fit into all my lolita dresses no problem. I stopped working out and lost all my muscle mass and now all my lolita dresses are too big for me. If I'm rounding up and accounting the extra few cm for a blouse and petticoat band, I'm 80cm bust and 67cm waist.
It wouldn't be a problem, but from what I've been seeing the brands have been releasing everything in larger and larger measurements. I hate the look of shirring and I especially hate having to tie corset backs all the way closed to make things fit.
To make it worse, when I try to sell or trade things from my (too big) wardrobe all I ever hear is "Oh, my waist is 29, I can't fit that nevermind~" I just want to wear my dream dresses and have them fit.
>>
>>8695720
Email me a collage of your stuff and prices if you want
>>
>>8693606
I'm super curious and interested in this fanfic, can you send the link or give me the name by e-mail?

Heck, if it's good and something I can dig, I'll send good comments to encourage the author to keep writing the fanfic.
>>
Local comic shop had a costume contest. Prize was a $100 gift card.
>oh cool I wear my Daenerys costume.
>I had done dragon scale smocking and embroidery. Was pretty confident I would win something.
>cardboard Domo head batman wins first place.
I thought the whole Domo craze was over with in 2010. Oh well. Got wear my Dany costume for Halloween so it's all good.
>>
There's this one guy in my comm who hasn't attended a single meetup, yet he likes to make a post once every other week about his shit art commissions.
>>
>>8695867
maybe you are ugly
or fat
maybe both (?)
>>
>>8695867
>putting all that high-tier costume work for a local comic shop

Well there's your problem, you would've had more luck dressed as one of those skimpily-clad comic book girls.

It's not some cosplay-costume contest, they're not going to appreciate the details and hard-work put in a costume, they're just gonna go with whatever's either slutty or geeky/nerdy cool like that domo headed batman.
>>
>>8695593

Usually it's less "wow, he said I'm fat, guess that means it's time to diet!" and more "No more insults. I have to fix this or it will never stop. This is how far down my life has come. Enough is enough. "

You should never let insults poison you to the core, but you should also never ignore them outright, because most balls of venom are woven around a grain of truth. Making it a habit to disregard insults also starts to leak into disregarding legitimate criticism and advice. Some insults are just pointless jabs with no basis in reality, but sometimes they can be something you need to hear, albeit worded to have an edge.
>>
>>8696397
To me, it entirely depends on who says it, and even then I think, "Who are you to be criticizing me?" Strangers have said some downright awful things to me for no reason, and then have the audacity to get all offended when I go back at them.

If the criticism came from someone I trusted, I might put a bit more thought into it and consider it. But if an average person called me fat? They can gtfo; it's none of their business.
>>
>>8696397
>no more insults
Just to put this out there for anyone socially unaware: Normal people irl hold the view that people do not deserve to be insulted even if the insulter is seeding their vitriol in "truth." People who insult are, and always will be, seen as pompous assholes and not as the devil's advocate of roundabout motivators, even if they consider their insults to actually be a "criticism" of some legitimacy.
>>
>>8695720
A seamstress/dressmaker/tailor should be able to make the adjustments you need to your clothes.
>>
>>8695422
Oof, sounds like it's complicated. Sleep on it, and think about.

Just remember that if both of you were going so far to argue about something so petty as a fashion, what will be the next thing you argue about? Having disagreements is normal in any relationship, but berating the one you're supposed to love? That doesn't exactly prove your point during the argument or help the relationship.

Think hard about this, and if you decide to stay together, make sure you agree on some rules about how to argue in a civil manner.
>>
>Made a silly cat patch and put it on a sweater
>It's such an ugly goofy looking cat, I love it
>Hang it up where I can see it from my bed
>Keep waking up staring at goofy cat face
>Why the fuck is it so wonky looking
>Start to study cat, did I fuck up and put it on crooked?
>Realize that the eyes are not even

FUCK
>>
>>8695593
when I was at Intermediate my countries education department had this negative feedback system and it worked for a lot of people. Most kids would respond to having their work insulted by striving to prove the teacher wrong and tried harder. I was on the 'what an asshole' end of the scale, I didn't do well in Intermediate school...
>>
>>8688650
>white girl makes Halloween coordinate
>uses sugar skull makeup
>tags "diadelosmuertos" "sugarskull" "halloween"
>same girl shares post about culturally appropriating Japan and how it's wrong

what the actual fuck?
>>
File: 11thsaywhat.jpg (19 KB, 420x454) Image search: [Google]
11thsaywhat.jpg
19 KB, 420x454
>>8696587

>"culturally appropriating Japan"

lets be real tho Japan basically invented vapid aesthetic appropriation of other cultures. Soon as the Portuguese landed in the 1500s people were wearing knockoff doublets and pantaloons everywhere. Rosaries became popular fashion accessories valued specifically because they were exotic and foreign. Excessive appropriation of foreign art, clothing, and religious shit was why the borders were closed in the first place.

Culturally appropriating the Japanese. Yeah, okay.
>>
>>8696587
You should point this out to her.
>>
>>8696567
pics? it sounds pretty cute from your description desu. goofy, but cute
>>
Fat people who complain people notice they are fat and how that makes their outfit look bad.

Your weight is the problem and is going to cause you more in life
>>
>>8696567
Sounds adorable as heck anon, I have 6 + crazy cat sweaters that I rotate around winter time. Pics!

>artist rant
>old hs girl that I haven't talked to since we graduated starts chatting to me on fb
>wants to 'commission' me for a tiny ass detailed tattoo of a sparrow and the usual bullshit 'live ur life' bull shit
>says that she has no money qq bullshit, asks if she can shout me lunch instead
>as if I want to eat and talk to you, I barely talked to you in hs
>if you can't even afford to properly commission a artist then what are the chances of you paying for a proper tattoo artist
>literally right behind this fb chat I can see her new status: "Can't wait to go on my 2 year trip to europe next month!!!!"
>mfw i have no face
>never respond to her
>>
>>8696440
I agree with you completely. desu I can't take 80% of cgl's "criticisms" seriously because most of it is trivial insults that normal people don't give a fuck about or polite enough to ignore. some of it is really helpful, but most of it is shit socially awkward assholes would say
>>
File: av075.gif (894 KB, 250x205) Image search: [Google]
av075.gif
894 KB, 250x205
>selling a blouse
>all info including full measurements and price are on the sale post
>get pm from potential buyer
>"what are the measurements? how much is it?"
>all redundant questions; answer patiently anyway
>"cool I just need to measure myself, I'll get back to you"
>it's been three weeks
>not a peep
>pmed them twice asking if they're still interested
>"yes of course I just haven't measured myself yet"
>alrightythen

Probably a silly thing to complain about but I'm getting irritated. It's fine if they changed their mind, I just don't like being stringed along like this.
>>
>>8692338
Where did you order from?
I've purchased a lot of from a lot of different Japanese second hand stores and most of the time I get my stuff faster then if I ordered within the US.
>>
>>8696938
Jesus Christ, if they don't put in a bid then they have no horse in the race. It sounds like they were ho-hum about the blouse, so just keep it up for sale and sell it to the next person who actually coughs up the cash.
>>
File: 1319611982780.jpg (28 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1319611982780.jpg
28 KB, 640x480
> tumblrinas constantly photoshopping Asian idols "back to their natural skin color" because they're against "whitewashing"
> yet these bitches praise those picture deco apps with skin whitening features that Asians made
>>
>>8693146
"Studies and shit"
This is scientific terminology
>>
>>8697096
Links please? Tumblr never ceases to amaze me.
>>
File: 1436637900719.png (56 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1436637900719.png
56 KB, 200x200
Boy how I just LOVE it that no one answers my questions in any help thread, whether it be on here or somewhere else.
You know, it's not like I have a deadline to finish my costume by and unlimited funds to constantly experiment or anything
>>
>>8696808
Agreed. Also fat people complaining about how unfair it is that they have to spend more money on extra materials, custom costumes, tailored indie or alterations for brand. Especially the ones who also spend a lot of money on junk food and sit on their ass all day. You eat more, you take up more space, you pay more. How is that unfair?
>>
Okay, so, recently a group of my friends and I did separate taobao orders of the same costume for a group, and a number of us used different services. I don't know what everyone used, but three people used bhiner, I used spreenow. Bhiner apparently cancelled one friend's order and never informed her, and ordered the wrong colour costume for another. Other people dropped out for other reasons. The friend organising it is a bit annoyed and is planning another group for next year, another taobao group, but this time, all on one order. But she wants to use bhinder, which has proved itself to be shit, rather than trying somewhere else, because her order came out fine. Any suggestions of other agents have been shot down. Pisses me off like all hell.
>>
>>8697264
Not that anon, but here: http://bronzebun.tumblr.com/
>>
File: 1431048602419.gif (425 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1431048602419.gif
425 KB, 512x512
>newfags don't know wordfilters
>illiterates rely too much on autocorrect to understand what's happening

/cgl/ confirmed for being alien to 4chan culture. this explains so much about the board tbqhwy
>>
>>8691435
I stopped posting cooordinates for this reason.
>>
Lolitas have a tendency to have bad table manners. I cringe a little when I'm at a party and girls are holding their fork straight down into whatever they're trying to cut and gripping it with a fist. Is this just a thing in America? Does it happen elsewhere? Seriously just curious.
>>
>need a long, green winter coat
>can't find any
>perfect one on flea market, 30€

I know it's not THAT much for a long coat, but when I have to modify it still quite a bit, I just don't want to pay that much for one component.

And for the record, why can't I find those things anywhere else? Winter is coming, you need jackets for normal use too
>>
>>8697469
Ugh... I'm American and I'm pretty sure it's a US thing yeah. I had to kind of teach myself proper table manners because it really isn't a priority for the US middle-to-lower class, for whatever reason.
>>
>>8697436
cgl has always been an outlier tho, it's one of the few mostly girl boards and the culture is pretty insulated since we have nazi mods that prune and delete threads like crazy, meaning that no other board stuff leaks in really.
most girls are here to look at cute dresses and gossip about other girls so they don't give a shit about "lel dank memes" or how the site is run really
>>
File: 1425235135754.png (47 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
1425235135754.png
47 KB, 500x384
French anon here
>third year in college, gonna graduate this year if everything's fine
>have the worst teachers and lecturers this year
>I only have been told today but I could have gone to a prestigious university in California because my average grade for my first two years is good enough
>mfw I could have been in California right now for a year and my college could have paid for everything
Fuck this shit, I'm so mad. And the guy who's in charge for this was super insulting when I asked him more about it today, I could have murdered him on the spot if it weren't illegal.
>>
>>8695385
Who do I need to avoid in this comm anon?
>>
>>8697428
This girl is trying too hard to shoehorn herself into drama to stay relevant.
>>
>>8697469
Sometimes I feel like table manners are dead. I know so many people with awful table manners/eating habits and it kills me.
>>
>>8696936
You're that chick from the skincare thread, aren't you?
>>
>>8697649
teach us ignorant plebes pls
>>
>>8697666
No. Not sure what else to say.
>>
>>8697719
No, she's obnoxious and basically mimics what everyone on the farm and cgl has already said. She was running out of original material after her PeenusAngelic video and it's been declining since.
>inb4 rabid whiteknights and Carly pounce on me
>>
>>8697620
I feel your suffering, fellow French anon. What licence are you studying for ?
>>
>>8697642
Bitch, we love Carly
>>
File: 1446435426977.jpg (37 KB, 415x570) Image search: [Google]
1446435426977.jpg
37 KB, 415x570
>>8697754
>>
>>8697762
LEA Japanese and English. I don't know about other universities but it's hell in mine. I'm sorry you have the same problem, it really sucks.
>>
>>8697783

Funny, I'm in LEA English and Spanish. I don't have the same problem personally, but I've seen some comrades deal with teacher bullshit and holy cow, some of them are just the worst. I didn't even try to leave on an Erasmus/abroad program since I wanted to switch unis for my third year and I knew it would be a nightmare to sort out, so at least I was spared this shit.

I do have some gripe with the administration though, since last year I tried to enter directly in second year and only got a "No" in mid-August when they received my file in May. It's only when I inquired about appealing the decision that I suddenly got a message saying that I was accepted, which leads me to believe that they didn't take the time to read my file the first time...
>>
>>8697469
Definately an American thing. I didn't know how to use a fork and knife properly until my stepmum taught me. But I haven't lived with her for years and it's slipping away.
>>
my comm is just. so. damn. lazy. nobody wants to organize a meet, even though there are only conventions in like three months out of twelve, it's all "anon it's still con season". i would organize my own, but nobody seems interested in anything i ask about. all of the meetups have had good attendance when they happen, but they rarely ever happen and it's just really annoying. i thought more people means more activity but its just itas who want to show up to a (free)event at the last minute.
>>
>>8697270
Its possible no one knows the answer anon. We're not all experts in all things costuming.
>>
>>8697433
Yes it does. Just look up the whitewashing tag on tumblr.
>>
>>8697767
>opinion I don't like
>b8
Can't say I'm surprised. Cgl does have a lot of girls with short attention spans so maybe Carly's cringey blog posts are really entertaining to you.
>>
>>8697846
what kinds of things are you asking about?

and what is the general population like where you live? a comm's attitude often reflects its greater geographical/economic situation.
>>
>>8688702
Fuck, I was just going to post here about this exact thing. They rarely offer anything new to the discussion and just spit out all the overused points like it's a guessing game. It's very tiring to see 20 cosplayers on my feed writing about the same dull shit while thinking they're the first ones to address such obscure, never-been-realized issue. Recurring themes are cosplay fame, cosplay and looks and add the hot topic of the month here. Either take a new approach or go back to working on your damn cosplay.
>>
>>8697932
anything at all, small teas, different cultural events, nearby parks, zoos, food tastings, special movies and theatre events. its mainly Indian and Hispanic people here but mainly everybody is in 20s or older, and middle class. we don't have a lot of "classy" victorian things, because of the Indian roots our area is focused on that, nothing else ever really developed outside of a general urban area. but dammit im trying.
>>
I am tired of all this fucking personal drama. I just wanna buy and sell pretty things. I hate that LM has such a short list of banned users, we need to start a doc or something to provide a comprehensive and up to date list of people who scam
>>
>>8697621
If you'll give me a throwaway email, I'll talk to you. These people are that frightening- I don't want to talk about them on here. I don't want them to "prank" me by stalking me for months to a year. I also don't want you to be one of them. I'd stand up to them if I had support, but I'm scared. They bully everyone, including disabled girls too... Eveb a girl with cancer. Literal scum.

ATL comm is dying because of this group. The mods won't stand up to them and one mod just spills stuff... It's awful.
Thank god for the other comm. I just wish I could call them out.
>>
>>8697754
Dude have you even seen her recent videos? They're hilarious.
>>
>"ANON I TOTES LOVE THIS SERIES THAT YOU LOVE TO DEATH OMG ITS THE BEST!!!1"
>"Wow! That's great news!"
>"YEAH I'M TOTALLY GOING TO COSPLAY FROM IT LET'S MAKE A COUPLE COSPLAY-- NO WAIT, A GROUP!!! MY FRIENDS LOVE THIS TOO"
>"Sure! I can't wait!"
>Time passes
>They latch onto the new popular bandwagon series and the planned group is never mentioned again
>End up cosplaying alone
>"Oh gee anon, I really want to do the group next time! I honestly wanted to make that costume! You look so inspiring!"
>Never mentions it again
>Every. Single. Time.

Why do people do this? It's not even a thing that happened once, this happens literally every time.
>>
>>8697428
Wait, is this all about how she's taking a kitten with her on a flight? Does that actually kill animals? I'm completely out of the loop here.
>>
File: grandad laughing.jpg (102 KB, 740x960) Image search: [Google]
grandad laughing.jpg
102 KB, 740x960
>>8697642
Here she is! The special snowflake that feels oppressed by the popular opinion and needs to loudly remind everyone that she's totally "unique" and "different".
>>
>>8698702
Here's an article about it: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/is-taking-your-pet-on-an-airplane-worth-the-risk-6241533/?no-ist

Basically, her cat is not only very young, but it's a breed that has a flat face and has breathing problems, so it makes it very dangerous for these kinds of animals on planes. Flying is already risky for animals, it's much more so for her kitten.

It's also about her support of the animal breeding industry is Japan. They're treated really badly in the shops that sell them, and quickly disposed of if not bought at a young age. Any money spent there just goes back into the puppy/kitten farm.
>>
>>8697912
Not the anon who you replied to, but I personally like her stuff. I think for me its the fact that she has the guts to attach her name to opinions that everyone is having but is too scared to say. Even though it might not be completely new content, it makes it more entertaining for me, and maybe even cathartic to see it said in the open.
>>
>>8688650
I've realized I almost can't stand my comm anymore. I pulled out from being an admin because they want to change so many things as to not worry on offending anyone on this or that. Yeah the comm should be a fun place for lolitas, but seriously? We're not babysitting people's feelings if they can't handle simple critique. The "dresses being armor" thing is rhetorical. You're not invincible or godly in those clothes.
>>
>>8698730
Are there any publications or docs about the pet trade in Japan? I'd love to show them off to some weebs I know who think Japan is all sparkly wonder kawaiiness.
>>
>>8698783
>mistreatment of cats and dogs will make them think twice
>not choosing the obvious war crimes and whaling issues

GOML
>>
>>8698787
Already showed them the whaling issue thing. They were like oh yeah I want to try whale sushi when I visit (wtf brah). And the war crimes they give no fucks about because it was a long time ago apparently.

They love the fuck out of cats and dogs tho
>>
>>8698793
Here's one from 2006, says that inbreeding is 4x much of a problem than in the US (and it's already a huge problem here): http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/28/business/28dogs.html?_r=0
Choice quote: "The other four puppies in the litter were so hideously deformed that they were killed right after birth."

From 2012: http://www.japantoday.com/category/kuchikomi/view/despite-recent-crackdowns-pet-industry-still-rife-with-problems

This one is about doge dog, who is apparently a mill survivor (go figure): http://dogjournal.tumblr.com/post/71852974271/the-dog-behind-the-doge-meme-is-a-puppy-mill
>>
>>8698793
Why do you hang out with people this retarded?
>>
>>8696440
>>8696936
Something an incredibly socially repressed person would say. Sure, not everyone will insult you to your face, but the ones who don't tend to be the ones who just do it mentally and put on a nice social face. Two-faced people make the worst friends.
>>
>>8698793
The Japanese don't hunt endangered whales. The types of whales they hunt are classified as "least concern". If you're pissed about Japanese whaling then you need to be pissed about Scandinavian whaling and Native American whaling, too.
>>
>>8698832
Hilarious. They're "goal" is to fish certain species, but in reality the catch includes many more, and they think nothng of violating other countries' natural reserves to get it. And yes, if you weren't so much of a weeb you'd know that people are pissed at the scandinavians too.
>>
>>8698829
Uh no you're giving yourself too much credit for being a jerk.
>>
>>8698843
And that's why you have no real friends.
>>
I've been trying to get this fucking photographer to get going on my images. It was from a shoot 2 months ago, and he's working around the clock to get images up from last weekends shoots.

He is constantly messaging me asking to do more shoots with him. His work is amateur at best and only wants to do slutty cosplays. He messages me at least once a week.

I was only having him do less than a dozen images from multiple outfits in two different locations. Am I just being impatient? He doesn't charge, but others from that same day already have their images?
>>
>>8698845
Sorry, I don't insult my friends to prove how "real" I am. Wanna try again?
>>
>>8698897
I didn't say you need to insult your friends to prove how "real" you are. I said people judge people, and the ones who are hiding it are two faced and have no real friends.
>>
File: tumblr_static_you_dens_mother.jpg (163 KB, 1062x594) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_static_you_dens_mother.jpg
163 KB, 1062x594
>list all the flat measurements, always mention shirrings, ties, whether fabric has stretch
>I WEAR SIZE M WILL IT FIT ME????

>item is listed for less than $40
>CAN YOU DO A PAYMENT PLAN???

>specify in BOLD that I absolutely won't split the set
>BUT I ONLY WANT THE DRESS DATS UNFAIR :-(

>congrats, you won the auction! Pls pay here
>OH ACTUALLY I DON'T WANT IT DIDN'T READ THE DESCRIPTION BEFORE LOL

AKA why I decided I'd rather be stuck with my unwanted clothes till the end of eternity
>>
>>8698942
Or you can keep it to yourself and not ruin someone else's day on a trivial matter?
>>
>>8698946
Sure, you wouldn't yell insults to peoples face, but you also don't have to be fake. It's not an all or nothing case.
>>
>>8698947
So are you saying those who insult you are the good kinds of friends? Maybe you should get new ones. There can be criticism without insults.
>>
>>8698948
Did you read that correctly? I said you -don't- yell insults to people. Of course you can criticize politely. But on that note, some people don't mind dickish comments, not everyone is sensitive.
>>
>>8698951
Why are you jumping into an argument where anons were responding to someone who DID say that insulting people and friends was a-ok so long as it was a half truth? That's why anons aren't understanding what you're suddenly on about. If you're a different anon then say so, or else stop back peddling.
>>
>>8698959
Fuck off
>>
File: tomfacepalm2.jpg (27 KB, 500x348) Image search: [Google]
tomfacepalm2.jpg
27 KB, 500x348
>>8688650
>and make claims about how this means they're not as big as a fan as them.

They aren't. They just aren't as big a fan. When you spend time actually trying to get good at a skill so you can fulfill something it makes you a bigger fan than someone who threw their credit card at ezcosplay.com or a comissioner.
Furthermore the skilled person still has their skill while the buyer has something they can wear three times.

>>8688837
>Some people just don't like/are naturally bad at making shit, or a combo or the two. Doesn't mean they're lazy.

Nope, they are lazy. No one pops out of the womb with any skills. No one sat down at a sewing machine and immediately made Sakizou corsets. It took a little time to get good and just about anyone can do it if they can follow instructions and control what their hands and feet do. It does mean they are lazy.

The reason they get shitted on is eventually every buyer wants the same kudos and credit a maker gets. They think that because they worked 40 hours that week and tossed that paycheck at a ebay they "worked" for the credit. Meanwhile the maker not only spent their paycheck, they also spent their time and worked on their skill.
Buyers eventually leave out info when they post it online. When you tell them they look nice they stop dropping into the conversation who made it. They get sketchy about who did what when it's a group.

No one would do this & everyone would be honest about it if they weren't all trying to look like they were a better fan by being someone who put real effort into making it.
>>
>>8698962
No u
>>
File: latest.png (116 KB, 179x299) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
116 KB, 179x299
>>8691584
Similar situation anon,

> be mixed
> can't cosplay characters I want due to skin color and delusional sjws
> fucked up genetics so myriad of health problems and shit vision
> need special glasses due to photosensitivity so masked/bespectacled characters are really my only option
> thinking fuck it imma cosplay anyway
>find perfect Marvel character, haters can suck my dick
>pic related

> be mullato
> be albino
> be mosquito
>How do we know
>>
>>8698996
Sounds like you're trying to come up with every excuse to justify your snooty elitism.
News flash, not everyone has the time nor the money to learn a trade, experiment, and sew an entire costume from scratch.
And who are you to say what makes someone a of something.
I KNOW for a fact that you didn't start off sewing your own costumes when you first started cosplaying, you started off the way everyone else did by using your closet or something bought from a store.
Cosplay is not a competition and your petty jealousy of those who buy costumes and get more attention than you is no better than that of a child.
>>
>>8691584
Then do full armor or toku cosplays if it really bothers you that much. You'll look badass and you won't have to worry bout the color of your skin.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.