[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Doomed Conventions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 19
File: doomed.jpg (138 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
doomed.jpg
138 KB, 1024x768
Let's talk conventions... that you know are going to go horribly wrong the moment you lay eyes upon them.

And I'm not talking succesful cons that suddenly had epic drama and had to quit in their 5th year. I mean cons that underperformed or flat out died from the get-go.

Yes, I'm talking Dashcon levels of fail.There's too many cons in the world for it to be the only one to fall flat on it's face!
>>
I think Newcon still falls in this category.

Having watched this thing from conception I'm surprised that thing is still limping along. Probably thanks to the staff members that arent Mike or his gang of fools, and to those that keep that thing alive color me actually impressed.

Dashcons problem was honestly that they aimed to high to fast. Having read a lot of the logs from people involved along the way (and most of whom stepped out when they realized where shit was heading) they didnt know enough about how to run a con, and decided to aim for a big con from the get go. Cons gro. You dont go to the super fancy expensive hotel your first year. You settle for renting out a smaller place of half of a bigger place and know you'll grow as your numbers, audience, and finances grow. They wanted a big con year one and didnt have the attendance or money to do it.
>>
Omni-con in Cookeville, TN on April 2nd (this weekend).

>(accidently?) stole name from convention in Texas
>only 42 "goings" on their fb event
>not responding to emails
>someone on fb had to ask if they were a real convention

And they are claiming this is their second year- something I personally wouldn’t brag about with those stats...
>>
Nijicon is a convention that exists but either has no advertising budget at all or something is going horribly wrong.
>>
That fucking furry diaper con.
They planned to have a 2016 con, but couldn't get a venue after all the shit that went down last year.
>>
>>8933217
Deets on this con please. This sounds like gold.
>>
>>8933217
>furry diaper con
>shit went down

literally shit?
>>
File: 1405185113341.gif (2 MB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
1405185113341.gif
2 MB, 500x300
Dashcon 2014
>>
>>8933247
>>8933249

The TL;DR of it is that there was a furry con on, and a bunch of 'babyfurs' attended. It wasn't marketed as a fetish con, there were actual young children there. But these furries flooded Twitter with 'crinkles :3' (diapers) and stories about orgies. There were diapers everywhere, on top of cars, in the hotel -- there was a diaper scavenger hunt -- and then the creme de la creme was a photo of a man in nothing but a diaper with an obvious shit bulge.

The hotel was apparently filthy after these fetishests got done with it. On the last night the hotel put notes on/under doors telling them that no noise was permitted after 10PM or something, thus cancelling orgies.

The con couldn't rebook the hotel for obvious reasons, and plans for another fell through. Presumably after some employee googled 'rainfurrest' and found the news reports and imgur album. Good luck, happy cringe.
>>
>FrostCon - I feel like if Antonio gets his grubby hands off of it maybe it could work.

>Anime North - I would say in the last 6 years AN has just kept getting worse. If there was a larger anime con in Toronto, this one would vanish.
>>
>>8933264
Will also post the letter that the chair of the con put up.

>We had to pull five badges this year. That’s more than we’ve ever had to pull in any other year of RF’s history, possibly more than every other year. We try everything we can to manage incidents without resorting to ejecting people, but we were forced into our last-resort option five times this year, and that’s not counting the attendees evicted by the Hilton itself.

>This alone would be bad news for RainFurrest, but there’s even more.

>For the last few years, the Hilton sustained more damage during RainFurrest than it did from every other event at the Hilton the entire rest of the year. This doesn’t even include damage to guest rooms or other incidental wear and tear like the elevators.
>This year’s incidents include two plumber calls, a flooded bathroom that soaked the offices underneath, towels stuffed into a hot tub pump, and multiple petty vandalisms and thefts. A final damage report is still being compiled.
>We had to send three people to the hospital and call the police twice.
>By Sunday morning of con this year, the hotel was so exasperated that they were threatening to evict attendees for single noise complaints.

Full letter: https://www.rainfurrest.org/2016/2015/10/05/a-letter-to-our-attendees/
>>
I was a "panelist" at a local con. Me, a sophomore highschool student with zero convention experience, running panels. The only people who seemed to know what they were doing were two college girls who ran a couple cosplay panels. The con ended up only having a maximum of MAYBE twenty-five people and still somehow (probably because they were technically a college club using school property) managed to go on for another year.
>>
Fucking Louisianime. At this point no one is gonna take this con seriously lol
>>
So Providence Anime Conference...

Think that shit would be viable now, with convention attendance at an all time high?
>>
>>8933275
Was it a TN con?
>>
File: 1458812617035.png (691 KB, 1382x1665) Image search: [Google]
1458812617035.png
691 KB, 1382x1665
>>8933264
>>8933271
I don't know what I expected
>>
>>8933264
>>8933271
Wasn't there also an impromptu glory hole in one of the bathrooms?
>>
>>8933266
But Anime North even surpassed Otakon in size now?
>>
>>8933110
Epicon (or Epicfail like we Dutchies call it).

I knew the organisation was bad a few weeks before the big drama.
(Also, sorry for the dunglish in this text)

> looked really promising at first.
> send a volunteer application.
> Hi anon, thanks for applying. We have a lot of applications, so we thought it would be a good idea to gather all the people in the convention centre. The people who still want to volunteer after seeing the center, can fill in there their information and past experiences. From those forms, we will choose our volunteers.
>ok......
> I had volunteer days before, but that was after I was screened and accepted as gopher.
> not looking forward to travel to the opposite side of the country (even though we're a small country, that would still be at least 3 hours with the train) for a change to be a volunteer. But if it was in the weekend, I guess it couldn't hurt.
> it's on a Wednesday at midday.
>they expect me to skip school, for a chance to work for them.
>red flags start going off.
>nope.jpg

I heard that they later change that plan. But I'm glad I stayed away. Because a few weeks later the whole we-split-our-con-and-our-boss-is-a-scammer scandal started.
>>
Conjure in Florida. It was Ron's con but Croom ran it to the ground on the first year.
>>
>>8933477
To be fair, otakons attendance has been falling the past few years.
>>
>>8933561
So can anyone clarify something for me about Conjure? Did Croom take over Conjure just to run it into the ground or was he trying to do a good thing for once in his life and try to support a convention? Either way, Conjure had a bad outcome especially since Omni-Expo spites Croom and will schedule their convention the same weekend as any of his events (last year or the year before Omni-Expo and FAE were on the same weekend).
>>
>anything in NYC
Springfest was shit and everyone defending it's last few years about it being a cute free college con? Yeah, the last two years it /did/ run it was $35 a day to do hentai voice acting and watch the miserable maid cafe try to dance.

Waku Waku wasn't God awful but they need a bigger venue, because video game section right next to the speakers of the main stage is a pretty bad idea.
And Libery Anime? >E. Manning. Like, let's be honest. Nothing good comes from NYC cons.

Stay awesome North New York, I envy you guys having Toracon at least.
>>
>>8933561
To piggyback FL disastercons
>Shock Pop Comic Con
Guest list was ridiculous, space was huge and nice, not crazy price
>so many cancels, empty rooms, didn't get a 2nd year
>>
So apparently there's a guy in my area who is trying to put on an "anime convention" some time this year, but if it's anything like the other cons he's run it's going to be shit. Went to a "comic con" he hosted last year and we were told it would be in the local coliseum, but the con was actually held in a barn next to the coliseum that just had some kind of stock show or something. The con funk was worse than anything I've ever experienced in all my days. I didn't go to the one he did this year but by all accounts it was a shit show (one of the vendors was a Scentsy booth, and there was a wrestling ring in the dealer's room?)
>>
KuroNekoCon. Staff that doesn't understand management and drove away/fired all their talent, coupled with targeting younger fans rather than all fans seems to be leading them toward a massive crash and burn.
>>
>>8933653
>venue is a barn

I laughed.
>>
Is touhoucon still happening?
>>
File: 1459109797241.gif (924 KB, 376x272) Image search: [Google]
1459109797241.gif
924 KB, 376x272
Anything run by AnimeLeague in the UK
>>
File: CeK9iPDUAAAjeeE.jpg (20 KB, 355x323) Image search: [Google]
CeK9iPDUAAAjeeE.jpg
20 KB, 355x323
>>8934073
like those god awful geek meets?
>>
>>8933947
at the very least not this year
>>
>>8933584
I actually didn't go to Conjure or Omni due to being busy that weekend but here's what I heard from the Florida General that archived.

Ron had to drag Croom off a podium after he started going off at his Drama Panel. And because Omni purposely wants to ruin Croom they effectively also killed Conjure. Omni wasn't much busier from what I've heard. Here's what an anon posted.

"I saw my first Croom story at Conjure. We were waiting for a comedy act to start on Sat night & Croom just walked on the stage and started talking to the audience & telling us how awesome he was...I mean LITERALLY he was bragging about how his video game room was so fantastic that he had 30 people in there right now & he had shut down the tabletop room because his vidya was just that awesome. He was also directed most of his attention to some Jem cosplayer who had some weird post stroke face. The comedians got pissed that he was fucking up their show before it began so they killed the microphone but Croom just started screaming about how cool he & his Jax show was until the owner of Conjure had to come drag him off stage which pissed him off even more.

As a capper one of the comedians pulled out his phone after their show & showed us a pic that the '30 people' that Croom bragged was in his vidya room was in fact 3 12 year olds playing Sega."

Funnily enough, at the last Jacon someone actually pulled the engine block out of his car.
>>
>>8934512
>actually pulled the engine block out of his car
deets required
did they bring a fucking engine hoist to the con?
that kind of shit should take hours
>>
>>8934545
I don't wanna over run another thread with this florida drama, but yep. I remember there being evidence.
>>
>>8934103

It's actually sad because now AL insist on having massive meet ups in most areas that have a small cosplay community of their own already. Many of the much older groups that've been around for years are disappearing as AnimeLeague is the "in thing" now and like to consume everything as their own. They can kindly fuck off.
>>
>>8933653
Hello fellow west Texan.
>>
>>8933601

Agreed, and on a related note:

I-Con/LI-Con/whatever iteration of lackluster chaos that still tries to haunt Long Island. I remember better days when it was conveniently located at SBU (my alma mater), but without the university's venue and whatever logistical nonsense, it's just dying painfully. I tried to give LI-Con a chance last year, but it wasn't even worth the free badge I ended up receiving.
>>
>>8933264
>>8933271
Whenever i hear anything bad about furries, it's almost always the baby furs.
>>
Alternicon, if they try to run again this year like their website/fb claims

>"Alternative media/webcomics" con. First year in 2014 is small - maybe 100 people max - but runs without a hitch. Am pleasantly surprised.
>Con comes back for a second year in 2015. Moves venues from small, crappy hotel to airport hotel. Seems like a big jump for such a small con but okay.
>Two weeks before con: "We are giving a badge discount for anyone who buys a hotel room right now. Please reserve asap."
>A few days before con: "Our hotel has 'gone back' on our contract so we had to move venues. New venue is 'really swank hotel in the middle of the city'".
>24 hours before con: "Due to failures on the part of management, Alternicon is canceled."
>The contract with new hotel was apparently never a done deal. Attendees suggest lots of cheaper alternatives that aren't a really expensive, super convenient hotel
>"The con chair has thrown in the towel and is refusing to consider other options"
>Later, staff/friends of staff post on CGL and alude to the con chair embezzling money and potentially having a lawsuit threatened against him
>Con chair continues to run Boston cosplay events. At one, they run out of money and they try extorting donations out of people (who have paid for tickets) before allowing them in the door.

I am still waiting for ex-staffers to come on this board and explain the full story. I want to see if my theories hold water.
>>
>>8933307
This. It's good for "babies first con" but half the people this past weekend didn't even have badges.
>>
>>8934073
AnimeLeague is just trash, i went to their IRC once out of curiosity, it was so sad, it was an "in character" party with people roleplaying their anime characters making out with each other and presumably cybering in private.
>>
Anime North Texas seems to be growing too big too fast. Like, chill the fuck out or you're gonna burn out.
>>
>>8934701
Whoa, hi anon! I didnt know there were other gulls out here
>>
That Geek Eire con
>>
>>8934789
Probably they struck a deal to sell a certain amount of rooms and get to use the conference facilities at a discount or for free, and didn't meet the required amount?
>>
>>8934798

I've never seen a con switch staff completely like 3-4 times in 5-6 years? Change venue every year or every other year and not offer anything but vic mcnugnug and whoever else.
>>
Anyone remember NemaCon? That was a complete mess.
>>
Waiting for Kitacon to crash and burn if it's anything like it was last year. The Hilton are so close to ending it all as con goers don't know how to fucking handle their alcohol or realise there's actual normal people staying there as well who would like to enjoy their stay and not see a cosplayer laying in a pool of vomit in a corridor near the lobby. (exact shit I saw last time).
>>
File: ultimacon-2_2.jpg (142 KB, 500x236) Image search: [Google]
ultimacon-2_2.jpg
142 KB, 500x236
Never Forget
>>
>>8934103
Exactly
>>
>>8934843
Most are lolitas, I'm the only cosplayer that I know of. There's a good chance we already know each other.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nh9sirL1jL1r00g0r.gif (281 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nh9sirL1jL1r00g0r.gif
281 KB, 250x250
>>8935140
>>
File: Zetsuen_18_3.jpg (126 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Zetsuen_18_3.jpg
126 KB, 1280x720
>>8935196

This looks like it was shot around 2007 at your average Weeb meet full of teenage kids who thought dancing to the Hare Hare Yukai song was the greatest thing ever.

But it wasn't...
>>
>>8935243
Oh that's crazy, I knew there was a small lolita comm but I'm not really in to that stuff. And yeah, you're probably right about us already knowing each other, it's kinda hard not to know everyone out here. Do you have a skype or anything where we can chat?
>>
NWFF. Hosting it at a smaller location where losses by artist alley last year is a worrying sign
>>
>>8933601
what maid cafe? mint maids?
>>
Idol Matsuri. Huge flop with shady aftermath.
>>
>>8935267
It's worse than dashcon. At least dashcon happened.
>>
>>8935660
The ones that used to back up dance with Reni. Mostly overweight black weebs and yellow fever infected Hispanics. They're going to be at CPAC later this month, I'm sure.
>>
Anime Matsuri Hawaii and Oni-Con Hawaii

AMHI had the whole major guests is in immigration jail, maybe 2000? People, and staff just walking of the job
>>
>>8935698
Wait what?!
>>
>>8935710
If I understood anon's post correctly, they're referencing to the event from last year when some cosplayer from Thailand was invited to Anime Matsuri but the con organizers didn't take care of the paperwork regarding the tourist visa, and since the cosplayer didn't speak English the immigration officers took her to jail under the assumption of her being an illegal immigrant.
>>
>>8935689
Ugh, yeah I remember checking out the maid cage last year at CPAC and was grossly disappointed in the maids. I don't mind the races, but at least be thin and presentable.
>>
>>8935336
Email in the field. Looking forward to talking with you!
>>
>>8935736

Wow wtf...
>>
I feel every single Vegas anime con is a doomed con. Every con is either dead or dying.
>>
>>8935003
I heard stories about kita, like, attendees doing it in the gardens outside and being caught and booted off.

Maybe they should just get a small hall at the NEC next time.
>>
>>8934755
Seconding that about LI-Con. I went last year and it was such a disappointment for the amount I paid for my badge. I understand they're holding LI-Con to try to raise more money so I-CON can come back, but it looks like that's never going to happen.
>>
>>8933947
Not this year because of the debt-issue still not resolved, but the heads are gunning for next year.

Sucks. Such a fun convention and could be so much better.
>>
>>8934512
Cringe at its finest
>>
Swarmcon
>>
Anyone ever been to Naka-Kon in Kansas City?
>>
>>8935689
>>8935757
Never checked out the maid cafe (didnt even know there was one to be honest) at CPAC, kinda want to now to see the disaster
>>
>>8935736
>but the con organizers didn't take care of the paperwork regarding the tourist visa

No, she was going to a second con in Mexico directly after and that con fucked up their paperwork. Her own account indicated that.
>>
File: DSC_0093.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0093.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
oh shit I just went to one of these this weekend

can I just post some pictures? They'll get worse and worse and someone can stop me at any time. This is the yummy yaoi and yummy yuri panel at 3 AM.
>>
File: Cei0Jf4XIAALKmJ.jpg-orig.jpg (236 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
Cei0Jf4XIAALKmJ.jpg-orig.jpg
236 KB, 1440x1080
>>8936235
Here's a picture of "team yaoi"
>>
File: CeizdjjWQAAE8zE.jpg (82 KB, 469x977) Image search: [Google]
CeizdjjWQAAE8zE.jpg
82 KB, 469x977
>>8936237
The one on the left is a trans male that's fine and cool.
>>
>>8936235
>>8936237
>>8936238
>>8936240
>>8936245
>>8936246

Oh god anon... what the fuck.
>>
>>8936234
No, she was going to a con in Brazil and she was unaware that she required a certain kind of paper to enter the country with a one-way ticket and that was a failure on everyone's part. No one is blameless in that, though yuegene's lack of English-speakng ability should've been something that AM accounted for and didn't. They didn't send anyone to the airport to help her/guide her/translate for her in typical AM fashion and that was the biggest problem.
>>
>>8936235
>>8936237
>>8936238
>>8936240
>>8936245
>>8936246
my god anon why did you even attend a panel titled "yummy yaoi"
>>
>>8936246
go on...
>>
>>8936332
>>8936336

Literally soft orgy.
>>
>>8936336
What is it about anime cons that literally turns people into fools? The pent up energy, the need for attention, just being young...?
On topic but bit really, katsucon was a fucking mess this year: multiple fire alarm pulls, hotel damage, room flooding, the works. It's on the bigger side so not really a failure but you know what they say, the bigger they are the harder they fall.
>>
>>8936332
Rennaisance painting from Hell
>>
>>8933271

https://imgur.com/a/qcPC8

Caps of what went down.
>>
>>8936108
I've heard so many mixed stories as to why I-Con imploded, and I honestly think it's just poor logistics mixed with the general decaying of Long Island.

At first it was because of the construction at Stony Brook, but they managed to hold it at SCCC one year, and had plans for LIU or Hofstra the year it died. Then they started in with the alleged money woes, which seemed pretty odd as a long running organization? I used to know some people at SBU who were involved in the Science Fiction Forum and circle that ran I-Con, and apparently it seemed to be the chaos of losing the venue mixed with personal drama that fucked everyone over.

Now I'm seeing all of these smaller cons and geek events pop-up, and I just can't try to care or be interested, as it all seems like it's just gonna be more shit. I wonder if it's all just splintered members of the I-Con org trying to make their own events? I swear I see a new one every month...
>>
>>8936383
Jesus, that was literally the worst.

>Little 11 year old in a fursuit, so cute!

Fuck me that will not be my child one day, i will make damn sure of it
>>
>>8936369
Because 2/3rds of the people attending are awkward weirdos and conventions are one of the few occasions they can go out and 'be themselves' with minimal judgement and lack the restraint that they'd normally approach a social situation

I admit whenever i go to a con there is a strange calming sensation that despite how busy it is and everything, but i've never taken the retard breaks off fully as some people obviously have.
>>
>>8936053
>attendees doing it in the gardens outside
to my knowledge that didn't happen? but what did happen was a middle-aged couple that were regular hotel attendees were gettin' raunchy in the pool and some cosplayers took a snapchat video that kinda spread like wildfire.

that aside, i'm going to kita for the 3rd time this year, excited to see what mess it drags up this time.
>>
Anybody remember ShinkouCon?
>>
>>8936279
Yummy Yaoi, yummy yuri (different anon, went to the con slept through this panel so I had enough energy for selling the remaining shit I got.

I used to work with the production group until, I kind of disapated myself from the production due to inactivity to their out of states as well as feeling rejected.

I used to go to their japanese game show as a helper/judge but now I cringe at it and had to leave for a kigu party
>>
>>8936383

This is why God doesn't talk to us anymore.
>>
>>8936268
Why is it every time this comes up people think the con could have sent a translator? She was being detained. Do you people seriously think CBP will just let some rando show up and translate? They could have sent 20 people to that airport, none of them would have been allowed to talk to her.
>>
Anyone remember AM2? It had a fantastic first year but they literally burned themselves out in two years. That's what you get for trying to make a free con to compete with AX tho
>>
>>8937565
That's the one that started out at a hotel in Garbage Grove isn't it? I was wondering if it would appear on this list.
>>
Kitchener comic con. I heard last year it was shit (anyone have any specifics?) but that fucking creep rchhoppe or w.e his name is got it up again this year on the 2nd of april...i might go though since the only other thing going on is the Elmira maple syrup fest.

Fucking kw
>>
I miss Sugoi, are there any suitable replacements for it in the Cincinnati area? Columbus is such a drive...
>>
>>8936383
Furries are pondscum.
>>
>>8934829
Aren't they tiny?
I mean, this will be their fourth year, have they even broken 2k?
For Texas cons, that's kinda small.
>>
>>8936134
I didn't get to really do anything outside of the AA but my sales in 2015 were abysmal compared to 2014 at Swarmcon. Not going back this year. Were you an attendee or AA? What was wrong with it?
>>
>>8936383
Some of these are not so bad, people just taking normal pictures, having a nice time. not my jam but whatever.

On the other hand, I looked through the whole album and now I want to die.
>>
>>8933271
>>8936383
Holy shit, I found out they almost moved to Spokane for this year. Our piss-poor excuse for an anime con is bad enough, but a furry con... Jesus. Fortunately that plan blew up.
>>
>>8937695
They just barely scraped 2k last year, and they're supposedly moving to the Hilton? There's no way they can fund that shit.
>>
>>8937704
It just seemed poorly organized
>>
>>8937515
So at what point then did customs stop to detail her? I have never had this problem before so I genuinely want to know what her process was as she moved through the airport. Besides, having a US citizen there with documentation that she will be a guest at an event definitely couldn't have hurt her case.
>>
>>8936383
Jesus christ...
I have yet to meet one babyfur that hasn't made me think "Maybe we were wrong about eugenics."
Fuck these people.
>>
>>8936120
Debt issue?

What happened?
>>
>>8938420
When you deboard a plane the absolute first thing you have to do is go through customs. You cannot leave the area unless you are approved. She was detained there, and you can't access that area if you are just showing up to pick someone up from the airport. You can't even get into the general secured area without a plane ticket...so how was anyone on staff magically supposed to get into customs? It's not even airport staff that would need to help them, it's the CBP and good luck there.
>>
>>8939138
Still, I am staff for a convention that has brought in overseas guests and we make sure they know what they're supposed to do before solidifying plans specifically to prevent incidents like this. We're considerably smaller than AM too. I am having a hard time being convinced that AM is blameless.
Also is no one going to talk about the fact that AM had Yuegene listed as a guest on their website until the weekend of the con, but she was conveniently left out of the program books (which require a lot of preplanning to assemble, so they knew she wouldn't be there for a long time beforehand and chose to lie about it).
>>
otaku matsuri
>>
>>8939314
Not sure how it's a cons fault when the guest books a one way ticket but OK. They very well could have told her it was a bad idea, we don't get to know. It's asanine to blame a con for a government agency doing its job, like they would have had any impact on outcome.
>>
File: 1431618652720.gif (96 KB, 873x529) Image search: [Google]
1431618652720.gif
96 KB, 873x529
>>8938943
It's extremely obvious if you go on the Facebook page, but the company overbook hotel block and a lot of rooms didn't get sold = owing money to hotel = hotel took from staffers cards on file. It's still not resolved and the con was in September.
A lot of /jp and friends are pissed because the con content is amazing for touhou/doujin fags like myself. I know that a lot of the head are working harder than shit to bring it back for next year though.
>>
>>8939433
hi john
>>
Not sure if I can post this here, but whatever.

Los Pegasus Union

>Transportation for guests is a small, beat-up car.
>Asks that community guests put card up for hotel and will be reimbursed at end of con.
>Promising 2000 guests when 500ish badges pre-sold
>Deals with hotel falling through because lack of people 5 taking block rooms.
>Meal tickets sold for buffet that never showed.
>"Unicon bits" used in dealer hall/AA instead of cash. Promised that at the end of con, people could trade for real cash.
>Misspelling of guest names all over the place.
>Agents of some guests never fully paid.
>Con organizers disappear on final day.
>Guests being kicked out and con being cleared from hotel in rush on sunday.

There were quite a few other big issues, but this (other than maybe Dashcon) was the poorest and probably biggest scam that I've heard of in the convention scene.
>>
>>8939487
I personally did some research on this just after reading your post and good fucking lord that must have been hell.

It makes me kinda scared tbhfamilia.

Full story http://bronydramarecorded.tumblr.com/post/45728669070/the-unicon-that-went-wrong
>>
>>8939487
Didnt they try to feed Terra whats her name eggplant when she's allergic to it?
>>
File: eCoTqp3.png (33 KB, 657x324) Image search: [Google]
eCoTqp3.png
33 KB, 657x324
>>8936383
Is there a word for laughing and crying at the same time?
>>
>>8936383
I understand some new terms now, but I don't quite understand why someone would show their gaping anus at a fox yodeling panel. I checked google and Urban Dictionary and I still have no idea what fox yodeling is.

That one Tony the Tiger drawing was actually pretty good, amongst all that horror.
>>
>>8939443
Oh no! Someone actually knows how US customs works, must be John!!!!!!!!1!22!!!!!1
>>
>>8940179
lol stay mad john
>>
Comic Con NY
>guest speakers that have nothing to do with comics anime or video games
>tickets sell out in less than a half hour
>literally stated they want less anime cosplays
Its popular as fuck but its a husk of its original shell.
>>
Colossalcon
>About the same number of attendees as Katsucon last year
>Kalahari is at best half the size of the gaylord

The number of people who went to Colossalcon in 2015 vs 2014 was huge. Thursday alone in 2014 there was no one there, 2015 it got crowded. Colossalcon will be forced to move out if it grows too large, despite it's draw being the venue. From my estimate they have probably at best 4-5 years left before they HAVE to move to a bigger venue.
>>
>>8940185
The attempted fusion of NYAnimeFest and ComicCon have led to its clusterfuck of attendees being half animu/vidyaand comic and half normies.

If NY had a steady reliable anime con it would probably thin out the weebs from ComicCon.

Speaking of lack of anime cons semi local of nyc: MangaNEXT

Sputtered to every other year and then just died.
>>
>>8939838
wat
>>
>>8940194
not unless they put a cap on the number of badges sold.
>>
>>8935140
I wish the website was still around with the mascots' sexual identity bios. That shit was gold.
>>
>>8940194
>Colossal
>doomed

I wouldn't call a con that has been growing by several thousand people each yer for the past half decade "doomed".

People worry too much about the Kalahari space issue. Colossal will never move out of the Kalahari, it's just going to become a "first come, first serve" thing like some of the huge cons already are. I'm pretty sure that's why Colossal East was opened and even FAP weekend (for the people who care more about the waterpark than con stuff, anyway).

The Kalahari actually sped up their convention center expansion to accommodate the con. The hotel was actually in the red financially before Colossal moved there. Colossal moving to another location wouldn't just hurt the con, it'd likely hurt the Kalahari.

There's a ton of field space near the hotel. They recently added the Villas out there, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had plans to add more rooms in the next couple of years but I'm sure the Pocono location is their financial priority right now.
>>
>>8935196
>2016

>Trigun cosplayers still exist
>Akatsuki cosplayers still exist
>half assed Assassin Creed cosplayers still exist

I hate that Deadpool cosplayers now have a reason to stay but the rest of those I mentioned have been dead memes since like 2010.
>>
>>8941226
>Colossal East
Damnit, I got excited for something around Cleveland.
>>
>>8936240
>>8936245
>>8936246
>fag hags on one side, actual fags on the other
>except the FTM on the fag side because not letting her in would be a form of oppression by evil cis males

>that one guy in >>8936245 looking back at the tits of the fujoshi on top of the fag hag pile as he pretends to jerk off into an ignored "uke"'s mouth

my fucking sides, holy shit
>>
>>8933601
>Toracon
Well shit, I didn't know this existed. Maybe I'll go.
>>
>>8936383
>people mentioning Oklacon

I didn't even know that con existed in my state but I'm kind of glad that it doesn't now?

I mean, after reading up about it I feel bad for the fact that part of the reason why they got kicked was because Oklahomans are disgusting christfag homophobes that WOULD be the ones to get offended by men simply holding hands in public, but having an intoxicated threeway in public is just not acceptable no matter how you want to look at it.

Also, it looks like 90% of the congoers were older men in their late 20's/early 30's so it's not like it was an older teen/young adult friendly event. Oklahoma is hotter than hell, I don't know why you would hold a furry event outdoors. Those poor fursuiters probably feel like they're in an oven without any air conditioning.

Also, here are some cringeworthy videos for the hell of it now that it's dead, save 'em before they get taken down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek8uzn4bjgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9deZipLkl4
>>
>>8941303
There are no good cons that come out of Oklahoma, btw. Save your money for Texas or one of the coasts.
>>
>>8936383

holy mother of fuck
>>
>>8935140
That feel when I'm an hour from New Orleans and never bother to go to cons there or elsewhere in the state but will drive to Texas cons.
>>
File: nice.png (1 MB, 1609x1190) Image search: [Google]
nice.png
1 MB, 1609x1190
Does this count? Because... look at it.
>>
>>8942732
I like how there's a question mark after special guests.

Like maybe we'll have guests, maybe we won't. Schrodinger's con guests.
>>
Random Battle Con. It was run by the ShutoCon chair and she had the bright idea to run it Labor Day weekend in a college town with little to no advertising. Quinton Flynn and Steve Blum were guests at some point but they either pulled out or were never invited in the first place. The con drew not even five hundred people for the three days it ran and was a huge financial loss.
>>
File: laughing.jpg (8 KB, 227x200) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
8 KB, 227x200
>>8936383
>Furry wearing tshirt saying 'I DON'T FUCK DOGS'
>>
File: sausomecon.png (307 KB, 835x307) Image search: [Google]
sausomecon.png
307 KB, 835x307
Sausomecon in Kansas City.

They got off to an alright start last year despite the AWFUL name, but they're going to run themselves into the ground anyway. This year the location is some obscure far away airport hotel, they've attached tons of drama by hiring a known harasser that's banned from all other area cons as the MC, and they have this gem as their commercial:
facebook/sausomecon/videos/582302405278612/

rip Sausagecon. I wanted KC to have another decent convention but I doubt it's gonna happen.
>>
>>8933601
How does Toracon compare to Genericon, aside from RPI being in the middle of a ghetto and RIT feeling significantly safer. I was thinking about going.
>>
>>8933264
>>8936383
It's always funny seeing the (slight) misinformation going around from the events of Rainfurrest 2015.

As an attendee, I've got the gist for those who care about this now deceased con.

For some facts on the first TL;DR:
>not marketed as a fetish con
Technically true, since it wasn't a "fetish" con, but a bunch of furries in one place (with drugs, diapers and alcohol) will always end up in a fetishy mess.

>diapers everywhere, scavenger hunt
Most of the pictures of diapers strewn about were taken ironically. The guy doing the "diaper" scavenger hunt wasn't attending 2015 (but he did attend 2014 with me).

>photo of a man in nothing but a diaper with shit-bulge
True, but he was also wearing pup-play gear in addition to the diaper.

>no noise after 10PM
These notices went up on the day of closing ceremonies, signifying the hotel going back to "normal" operations, rather than having a "party room" block and a "quiet block".
>>
>>8941235
Kinds reminds me of this desu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Je8BlDG-c
>>
>>8946483
>the narrator's uncertain laughter at the end in response to "I'M NOT ALONE ANYMORE"

rip my sides
>>
>>8942736
Haha, I was just about to say, the question mark killed me.
>>
File: diaperfur.png (670 KB, 669x887) Image search: [Google]
diaperfur.png
670 KB, 669x887
>>8933217
>>
MTAC 2016

I went in one room and it was just some dude chanting "Undertale sucks." He wasn't even talking to anyone. The room was empty.
>>
>>8946624
That's some next level shit
Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.