[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Artist Alley Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 59
File: Artist Alley Image.png (564 KB, 736x505) Image search: [Google]
Artist Alley Image.png
564 KB, 736x505
Previous thread is dead: >>8637545

>resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l-9tZn_PaqsZWkb5SB_aqwh7uvURyoLgdsQiuz_Ty08/edit#gid=0
>Taobao/Alibaba services
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14zGSegr0b-429wZq5_xdMbE9hpLcXg8fqqe0OxnU2Yo/edit#gid=0
>artists spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing

You know the drill.
>>
I think I love you, anon.
>>
>that first post

this thread is doomed
>>
>>8675208
>Does anyone have a Chinese laser cutting service they could recommend? I've been getting weaving frames cut locally and the costs keep creeping up. I'm looking to get stuff cut on 4mm bamboo or other sustainable wood.

Hey anon, if you're still looking and haven't found anything, would you mind telling how much you're paying for it now or discussing it privately through email? I have a laser cutter, and if it's fiscally reasonable I can try to provide something cheaper than what you're currently paying, and quicker than if you had to ship it from overseas.
>>
>>8676785
> dat button display
Kek, nice attention to detail.
>>
>>8671358
Bumping my question :_:
>>
>>8676785
p-please never use this image ever again
>>
Don't know if I should ask here or in UK thread, but which UK con (preferably England) is best for sales? I do mostly jewellery/charms and plushies, no prints, if that factors in.
>>
File: 20151017-mami-small.jpg (36 KB, 300x493) Image search: [Google]
20151017-mami-small.jpg
36 KB, 300x493
I'm just getting started on making charms, I'd love some feedback. I'm pretty happy with it but since it's my first charm, I'm sure I'm overlooking something.
Do you think this would sell? Please don't be gentle, as the Dutch market is a real bitch to sell to!
>>
File: mami.png (156 KB, 319x508) Image search: [Google]
mami.png
156 KB, 319x508
>>8677241
Overall it's quite cute but imo your colours feel kind of dull/washed out. I just put a curves adjustment layer over this to try to give it a bit more impact which can be fun to play with especially for a series like pmmm where each character has a different colour. Also the pose feels a bit stiff. I like the way she's holding the rifles, but her shoulders and hips are both straight across which makes the pose less interesting than it could be. I know she's quite a "proper" character but if you try doing this pose yourself you should see what I mean.

I don't know how useful this info is in terms of it selling but I hope it's helpful for you even if it's just for future ref?
>>
>>8676865
If you look at the official posts you'll see they're working on official merch so they are providing an alternative.
>>
File: mamimami.jpg (157 KB, 1200x508) Image search: [Google]
mamimami.jpg
157 KB, 1200x508
>>8677241
I agree with the above anon but I suggest you be careful with editing as you can lose the original character palette easily. Some people like to overlay a colour to the overall image to add warmth or contrast which can add a bit of impact but it's easy to overdo. It really depends on what you like though.

Original > Colour Boost > Colour Shift > Yellow Theme

I think the design is quite cute and would sell if you made the other girls. Yellow theme would work if you then did a pinker Madoka, redder Kyoko etc. I'm not so sure about the third one but it's just an example.
>>
>>8677241
I think you need more variation in the thickness of the lines especially in her hair and those ^ folds of her skirt
>>
I've been thinking about fanart commissions and fanart merchandise for a while and what do you guys think about how it's technically illegal?

I mean I've been seeing some people get really butthurt about it, though if I'd draw only original stuff, nobody would buy it, already having to compete with people underpricing their work, stealing and selling, and even other fanart.
The only thing I've got going for me is that people want to buy a keychain of their favorite character.
>>
>>8677723
suck it up and just do some fucking fanart, stop feeling guilty for making money in one of the few ways an artist can in this capitalistic hell of a world
>>
>>8677241
Adding on to what other anons are saying, her mouth is really far over to the right. Looks a bit goofy having her mouth and nose so far apart.
>>
>>8677723
Unless you're straight out making bootleg merch, you're not harming anyone. If anything, you're boosting the media by providing what the fans want.
>>
>>8676785
My fucking sides anon. I love you. Made my shitty old booth 50000x better.
>>
>>8677241
face is no good
>>
>>8676785
can someone post the original drawings again please
>>
File: image.png (1003 KB, 1244x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1003 KB, 1244x1200
>>8678046
Not the original drawing but have this
>>
>>8678058
Gotta make the moe idols fugly as hell I guess
>>
File: 1440792376427.gif (460 KB, 1280x586) Image search: [Google]
1440792376427.gif
460 KB, 1280x586
>>8678046
>>
>>8676785
FUCK

Goddamnit, that damn Love Live lineup practically triggers me, it has given me nightmares every time I see it posted.

Can we all unanimously agree it is one of the worst pieces of shit?
>>
>>8678058
Why does it say Lily White? Is it some Love Live thing or some dumb racist tumblr thing?
>>
>>8678084
it's a love live thing for the subgroup
>>
>>8678084
Lily white is a subgroup of the main 9 girls. There are two other subgroups
>>
>>8678075
Yeah whoever "fixed" this still didn't fix it. God damn the original artist needs to learn how the female ribcage works and reference some fucking legs.
>>
What do you guys think of making charms/merch of characters in a well-known art style from a different series? Eg characters in the animal crossing villager art style
>>
>>8678495
yes, I think yes
>>
Anyone have photos of half table setup displays? I see a lot of good full table ones, but the half tables usually look meh.
>>
>>8678510
Seconding this. I'm doing things a bit backwards and my first con I'll have a full table (it's a small local con) and then a month later I'll be doing a half table at a bigger, much more expensive con. It's going to be hard to scale back!
>>
>>8678168
You have to admit that it's a hell of a lot better though, it's amazing what removing armpit hair can do.
>>
>>8678058
Dear god, who keeps creating these?

Asking out of genuine curiosity since I want to see if they trashed any other characters as badly
>>
File: ss+(2015-10-21+at+10.37.00).jpg (76 KB, 740x753) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-10-21+at+10.37.00).jpg
76 KB, 740x753
Kinda just starting my endeavor into selling art, and was wondering if I should make this a charm, sticker, print, or just trash it completely?
>>
>>8679015
Idk if bait... But just to be safe: trash this. The cat barely looks like a cat, the slogan is outdated and overused. Even ignoring those two things, this looks like something you made in Paint, it's not appealing at all. Practice some more, don't waste your money on making products just yet.
>>
File: cats.jpg (58 KB, 541x669) Image search: [Google]
cats.jpg
58 KB, 541x669
>>8679040
Yeah, not bait. Haha. Didn't think it was that bad. I'm going to scrap it, but could you explain to me why it's unrecognizable as a cat?

And I'll admit to low quality, it was originally a doodle, and I posted the lower res one on accident.

Is it still un-salvageable even at a higher quality and sans outdated phrase?
>>
File: foranon.png (165 KB, 1589x663) Image search: [Google]
foranon.png
165 KB, 1589x663
>>8679104
Different anon here, I think if you made it as part of a sticker set it could be cute but there's something off with the face. It's got a Hobbes nose and unless you're going for that it's not really working. Honestly I'd take the nose off completely and add a mouth but that might just be style preference.
>pic related
>>
>>8679161
Ahhh, thank you so much anon! Those little changes made it a million times cuter! I appreciate it!
>>
>>8679189
Another anon here. If you plan to have your kitty black, please consider coloring the face elements a lighter color(Check out nyanpire, kutusita nyanko or chococat for example)
>>
>>8679189
Adding onto everything everyone has said - please use an actual font for the box - or consider putting the text not on the box at all. Your handwriting makes the whole thing seem not as polished.
>>
I'm hoping to do an acrylic charm order soon, does anyone have recommendations in which service to go with? I've heard good things about Chillypig and Inkit but the price with Alibaba seems a little to good to pass up.
>>
>>8679557
Go for inkit imo they are the nicest looking ones
>>
>>8679015
>>8679104
The linework is pretty thick and messy at points. Thick outline is okay but then the whiskers and inner lines have no variation in their width which looks cheap. Since it's just a random cat you need to make it somewhat unique for people to be interested in it but it's very flat, design and colour wise.
You should be working on your art before you think about selling. I've seen a couple of people post here saying they want to sell but then they only have one or two samples they've ever drawn. You're just going to be disappointed when you don't make a profit unless you manage to get lucky by selling lots of fanart.
>>
File: 1442944956350.png (191 KB, 318x360) Image search: [Google]
1442944956350.png
191 KB, 318x360
Sharing a booth with a friend (our first for both of us) and she's got 20 sticker designs to sell, how many of each would you say would be fine for a smallish con? 10 of each design, 15-20 for more popular series/characters? I have no idea where to start for stickers.
>>
>>8678078
>Can we all unanimously agree it is one of the worst pieces of shit?
We already do, anon.
>>
File: mami-fix.jpg (38 KB, 300x493) Image search: [Google]
mami-fix.jpg
38 KB, 300x493
Hey all, thanks for the concrit, much appreciated! Here's an updated version.

>>8677281
>>8677377
Yeeeaahhh washed out colours are a pretty big issue with all my work. I always need some contrast/curves adjustments at the end. Then I look back at the original and am genuinely surprised how I did not see how drab it was. Need to get on that...
How'd you get the third one if I may ask? The, er. instagram filter-y one? I kinda like it.

>>8677642
I kinda like the look of the lines being the same thickness. You're right though, it doesn't work well on the skirt folds at all. Fixed that.

>>8677732
I moved her mouth over a bit, not sure if I like it better like this though. It's more "correct" but I think she loses a bit of character, if that makes sense?

>>8678028
??
>>
File: idk.png (159 KB, 300x493) Image search: [Google]
idk.png
159 KB, 300x493
>>8679833
not that anon but it's just not an appealing face. style etc whatever i just wouldn't buy it. didn't want to say anything earlier but since someone else brought it up and you couldn't understand.. (not saying my edit is perfect but just compare how your features don't even line up with her chin and how her eyelid tops look like second eyebrows and her left eye is melting off idk)
>>
Can we just take a minute to laugh at the Paige drama going on in the facebook group right now..
>>
>>8679956
Is it actually possible for her to post and there be zero drama? Jeez.
>>
File: edit.png (166 KB, 300x493) Image search: [Google]
edit.png
166 KB, 300x493
>>8679924
I think the melting eyes are fine, just stylistic. >>8679833 just needs to remove the really high eyelids (which makes her look droopy) and make the nose less awkwardly beak-y.
>>
>>8679956
All my bets, water bottles, and fresh towels in feverworm's corner
>>
>>8679924
Your edit just looks creepy, to be honest.

>>8679833
I like how it looks, the colors still could use some work and I think the mouth has a strange position, but I like it and would buy it if I was a fan of her.
>>
>>8679976
Oh, I like this edit a lot.
>>
>>8679994
That's fine lol

>>8679976
Yea it really is the eyelids isn't it? I mean i still think the the face looks.. unappealing/unskilled but at least now it matches the rest of the drawing in skill level where as before it definitely stood out as worse. Half lidded eyes can be hard to pull off and op just gotta remember sometimes less is more.
>>
>>8679956
Man she's such a typical tumblr idiot I swear.
>>
>>8679956

Aaaaaaand the group's mod likes her OH MY GOD I'M JUST GONNA AVOID EVERYTHING YOU SAID comment.

I really cannot stand either of them.
>>
>>8680001
The eyelids kind of resemble American television style. I don't think it meshed very well since the rest of the drawing is very soft toned, anime style.

[spoiler] I also have a personal distaste for those type of eyelids [/nospoileresoncgl]
>>
>>8679956
You'd think that with the amount of drama she ALWAYS seems to cause that she'd have either been kicked out or left the group herself by now
>>
>>8680021
>>8680016
I honestly would respect and appreciate her opinions so much more if she wasn't so fucking insufferable and bratty about them.

I mean, yes, representation is super important, fat people absolutely deserve to be represented in media, it's fine to draw skinny characters as fat.

But when you end your posts with "lol" or "so funny" it's like... why do I want to even consider the opinions of an actual 12 year old. If this issue is important to you, write in a way that we can see that.
>>
>>8679956
as a newbie, where do i find this dramu
>>
>>8680031
>>8680036

I'm REALLY interested to see how her kickstarter pans out. I can't believe she got 6 fucking thousand dollars for leggings and skirts and she has no prior experience making clothes, let alone for the plus sized market.
>>
>>8679956
got everything capped in case of bawwletion

>>8680036
Right. I respect the gist of Paige's opinion but the way she's phrasing it makes her sound like a typical immature Tumblrina. Continuing to dig her nails into anyone who disagrees with her isn't doing her any favors either.
>>
>>8679994
Agreed, I like the style of the original even if it's not perfect and I would likely consider a Sayaka one if I saw it in AA. I think it needs a little more adjustment with the colors but overall it's cute.
>>
>>8680063
Nevermind, google is my friend.
>>
all of paprika studios' drawings either make the character look lifeless or high
>>
>>8680064
I really feel like she should've looked further into clothing design before jumping into doing that silly kickstarter, all her designs are very ugly and generic and there's no reason to buy them.

Like, look at official merch clothing. The Evangelion Unit leggings that were popular a couple of years ago or the Sailor Moon dresses by Living Dead Clothing are good examples, there was time and effort put into designing them rather than just drawing 1 or two things and copy pasting it all into a boring pattern.
>>
>>8680066
I don't even dislike her art (though I think her "finished" piece need more cleaning up and personally I can only see someone cosplaying wonder woman as opposed to it actually being her) but hot damn her attitude is atrocious.
>>
Besides artcow, are there any print shops that don't pay attention to copyright images when they print?

this isn't really for artist alley, but I've missed out on limited edition things and I wanted to make my own version, just for myself. nothing really special, just me being a sore loser.
it would be for things with a quanity of one piece, not bulk.
>>
File: mamiedit.jpg (37 KB, 300x493) Image search: [Google]
mamiedit.jpg
37 KB, 300x493
>>8679833
New Adjustment Layer > Selective Color in Photoshop. I made the second one first by increasing the blacks/neutrals a tiny bit to increase contrast and then boosted the yellows quite a bit. I can't remember what I exactly did with the third one though as I didn't save the file sorry. It would have been another Selective Color layer experimenting with everything and then maybe a Color Fill layer on Soft Light.

>>8679924
>>8679976
I don't think these edits are much of an improvement. Removing the eyelids and replacing a dot nose loses a lot of character she had. I would keep the nose but maybe soften the eyelids somehow as when removed they leave a lot of awkward blank space since her eyes are squished. Moving the eyebrows might help.
>>
Questions for anyone who has ordered from vograce:

what's the turnaround for charms, roughly? i'm considering doing a group order in the new year with some friends, but some may need the charms for fairly early spring. Just curious as to how long it takes to make and receive an order .

And for keychains and phone straps etc, do they come assembled with the straps already attached to the charm, or do the charms and findings come separately for you to assemble yourself?
>>
File: 1294055868352.jpg (122 KB, 375x390) Image search: [Google]
1294055868352.jpg
122 KB, 375x390
>mfw paige hall stalked my twitter to call me a fatphobe
>>
>>8680179
I'm on your side, but to be 100%, you did post the screenshot with no names blocked out. While I would totally believe that Paige would stalk your shit to find that, it's just as likely that one of your 1,500 followers sent it to her.
>>
>>8680192
>to be 100% fair
I fucked up
>>
>>8678075
Who drew this? Is there a tumblr page?
>>
>>8680192
i'm still not sure how what i said to her equates to me being phobic of anything.
unless paigephobic is a thing
>>
>>8680207
Ye no, I don't disagree with you on that at all. Just trying to give even the biggest tumblrina the benefit of the doubt and say that it's perfectly reasonable to say she didn't stalk your twitter account.
>>
>>8680207
Uh, you disagreed with an oppressed person. If you disagree with a homosexual, it makes you homophobic. If you disagree with a fattie, it makes you fatphobic. Duh~ White cis scum are never right.
>>
>>8680200
it's magicaltomato or something like that
>>
>>8680207
She's just being incendiary
>>
>>8680133
I haven't actually gotten my charms yet so someone will have to add to this, but I think it depends on you, because Coco works fast.

I literally just finalized my charms today, but it took about 5 days only because a) time difference lol and b) I was all fussy and had her basically reborder/resize my charms like 4 times before I was satisfied (I kept finding mistakes in my designs, which I feel terrible about..). But when we finalized the design she was able to make samples within a day and was ready to make the rest of the order as soon as I gave her the okay. She also mentioned that shipping would take around 4-6 days, about which I'm not sure because I haven't actually gotten it yet, but with that the whole process is pretty speedy. If you are really confident with your designs it should be even faster.

And yes, they attach the keychains and provide bags, though I'm not sure if they actually bag the charms for you...
>>
>>8680247
They bag charms too

My roomie got an order from vograce. I think total turnaround was around 2 weeks?
>>
>>8680233
i feel like i just fell into an elaborate trap
>>
Kylin has gone mia or something bc she has not responded in a few weeks when she had been pretty speedy up until then...,
>>
>>8680063
>>8680066
is it gone? did I miss it?
caps plz
>>
>>8680277
∠(ᐛ 」∠)
>>
>>8680346
kek
>>
File: drama.png (398 KB, 1896x792) Image search: [Google]
drama.png
398 KB, 1896x792
>>8680318
Sorry some of the text was lost, thread is gone now. Rose picture up on top was the one referred to.
>>
>>8679956
what happened
>>
>>8680397
she's a jerk.
>>
Wow I just got a response from Vicky saying kylin "is not in company for many weeks"
She got fired?! Sick?? JESUS....
>>
File: tumblr_nmk9f3m0iQ1u8r1qdo3_500.jpg (45 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmk9f3m0iQ1u8r1qdo3_500.jpg
45 KB, 500x333
>>8680397
That considering the art style that Rose is fine proportion wise. Nonpreg Rose was curvy but not huge.
>>
>>8680133
I recently ordered through Vograce and honestly Coco is such a joy to work with. I've ordered from them twice and because I live in CA, the package usually gets here super fast. The first time it got to me within a day or so of Coco mailing it out and this time I received it in about 4 days but only because it unfortunately got caught over the weekend so the post office wasn't open so it was stuck in Hong Kong for a bit.

Here's a timeline if you're interested:

Oct 10 (2 AM) - Emailed Coco charm designs, received outlines/mock up images from Coco, had to ask her to fix a mistake on my part
Oct 11 - New outlines received and okayed, given a price quote
Oct 12 - Payment made
Oct 13 - Coco sends sample pictures
Oct 16 - Charms mailed out
Oct 20 - Charms received

About a 10 day turnaround. Maybe a little bit longer if you're not on the West Coast.
>>
>>8680702
Oh jesus I realized that I wrote a huge runon sentence. I'm sorry it's late here.
>>
>>8680702
Can you give us her to email anon? I don't want to go through the clusterfuck that is alibaba
>>
>>8677241 here, thanks again for the concrit. I'll not post the updated version because I feel awkward filling up the thread with 20 edits of the same picture haha. But I'm reading it all and taking it into account!
I think the face thing is partly stylistic preference and partly me not being very experienced with deformed proportions, so as someone said I gotta experiment with "less is more".

I'll probably do a full set of these. Might post an update here at that point if people are interested. Until then, thanks again for the tips!
>>
>>8680397
That Rose doesn't look thin, she just looks like not a shapeless blob. If characters being not-a-blobs is a problem, then she should lock herself in her echo chamber permanently.
>>
What do you guys use to protect the printing on your charms? I know places like ink it and zap have gloss and that's pretty protective but since vograce doesn't offer a gloss option on the print, it's more likely to chip over time. I used nail polish on some of the charms I bought in past but I feel like that'd be a waste if I were to do it to products that I am selling. Maybe a spray sealant or mod podge? I also have a friend saying we can try polyurethane gloss, whatever that is.
>>
>>8681020
Doesn't Vograce put epoxy over their clear charms too?
>>
>>8680397
Oh please, don't expect anything intelligent from Paige when she's already stolen several artists drawings and literally traced over them
>>
JiMi is going to do a washi tape order with a min of 70 rolls. I'm guessing they will be 2 bucks each? How expensive was AANI's washi tape go?
>>
>>8681025
Whoa, I know about her other Wonder Woman rip off that she sold but there's more?
>>
>>8681043
according to the prices on the order google doc:
Not including boxes, unsure if this includes shipping.

$1.56-$1.16 for 15mm
$2.16-$1.66 for 25mm
$2.36-$1.81 for 30mm
>>
>>8681024
Yes, but not on the print side
>>
>>8680702
new here, unfamiliar with what you're talking about but I'm interested to know since I want to start selling charms. Is this someone you can buy charms in bulk from? What's the pricing like?
>>
>>8681230
Read the docs in the OP.
>>
>>8681230
>google
>>
In the end, did Vograce anon make a document with personal testimonies and basic information? It would be useful to put in the OP.
>>
I bought some iridescent fusion film for my crafts but I was wondering if it could be used to laminate stickers, so I put the film over a sticker I had then I heated it with an iron and the film stuck nicely into the sticker. But I'm not sure if it will be paste for a long time. Anybody tried?
>>
>>8681232
>>8681234
shit, sorry, i'm retarded
>>
>>8681476
Expose it to a bit of steam and direct sunlight for a few days perhaps? Since it's a relatively new thing i'm not sure many here have tested the durability yet.
>>
File: 1.jpg (105 KB, 305x508) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
105 KB, 305x508
>>8677377
imo
>>
Hey guys
New to this, going to a smaller con to start.
Attendance previously was like 6-700 people, this year they're at a bigger venue.
How much stock do you guys recommend I bring? I'm bringing some prints, stickers, buttons, and charms.
>>
>>8680397
I'd normally semi agree with being cool with making slimmer characters larger, but super hench female characters who are tall but still effeminate are really rare so she kinda is removing from diversity...
>>
>>8681638
lol girl, no.
>>
File: mami.png (167 KB, 300x493) Image search: [Google]
mami.png
167 KB, 300x493
>>8681638
i think the problem everyone is trying to point out is that you drew the outline of her face as if she was facing straight forward.
however all the other features including her hair make it seem as if she is tilting her head to her right.
just move her mouth slightly more to our left/her right.
you can also try tweaking the right side of her jaw (stage right/but HER left) by shading it a little more or angling it different but just moving the mouth should be fine.
>>
>>8677241
not being an asshole because I think this is pretty sweet, but god damn she looks blazed as hell
>>
File: IMG_-jufv6j.jpg (157 KB, 882x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_-jufv6j.jpg
157 KB, 882x1024
I did a small clear acrylic charm order from Acorn Press recently, would anybody be interested in a review of them?
>>
>>8681878
Me! I'm waiting for jimi's charm photos so I can see the quality and choose which service should I use. Ink it is too expensive and Vograce leaves a big white border, not to mention every thing insde that's suposed to be clear turns out white.
>>
>>8681878
Yes please. After the drama they had, I'd like to hear how they're doing now.
>>
>>8681878
I'm also interested!
The pearlescent acrylic they offer seems pretty interesting, but I'd like to know about their print quality first.
>>
>>8678075
Six of them just read as male yaoi body-types to me.
>>
>>8681476
Where do you buy this magical product? Sorry if I've missed something obvious.
>>
>>8681562
Oh! I will try this tomorrow! I'm still not sure what kind of style could fit that nice iridescence tho.

>>8681937
It's a film people use for their fairy miniatures. I actually bought for my resin pieces. I recently got the idea to use an iron to "laminate" stickers and so far it works but let's see what happens tomorrow. This is the listing where I bought it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M00218-MOREZMORE-Angelina-Fantasy-Film-CRYSTAL-AURORA-BOREALIS-Heat-Fusible-10-/200987081611?hash=item2ecbc37b8b:g:pRQAAOSw42JWETeV
>>
File: 15-10-22-20-44-50-130_deco.jpg (3 MB, 2560x2560) Image search: [Google]
15-10-22-20-44-50-130_deco.jpg
3 MB, 2560x2560
So an issue I had with these charms is that the colors came out a lot different than what I was expecting. I put one right next to a sticker that I printed at home on a regular printer and the colors just look way off. The spot white and the double white turned out well though, so at least that wasn't a waste of money. Another big issue I had was that one out of the ten charms I ordered had cracks in it. I'm definitely sending a message to AP about these things and hoping that they'll refund me for them.

>>8681889
The white border is what kept me from trying Vograce too! Most of mine don't have a huge pixelly border, but a couple have a little bit of white sticking out.

>>8681902
Could you actually tell me about the drama? I always heard that people don't like Acorn Press, but when I tried looking more into them, there wasn't a lot out there. (I didn't look very far in the archives though)

>>8681929
I bought a sample pack that came with the new pearly acrylic! To be honest it comes off as more pinkish gray and the sparkliness isn't really visible... Even with the issues I had with these charms, I still prefer the print quality to Zap.
>>
>>8682006
if you're part of the facebook group, at least 2 people had big problems. just search for acorn press, of course.
>>
>>8682006
Ugh this image came out so big, sorry for the shitty phone quality and size.

>>8682016
I don't have a facebook and I'm not really big on the AA scene so I'm not part of the group, but I'll try finding their posts!
>>
>>8682006
the drama was honestly you get what you pay for
>>
>>8681858
Ya, I get that. I'm definitely not un-tilting her face, though, as that would only worsen the boring pose issue. I'll work on the jawline/mouth, thanks!
>>
Hey you guys can I get a little advice? I did an anime con artist alley for the first time this year but most of my small selection was western (su,gf, spn, teen wolf) and I think I did pretty good but I wanted to put together some anime pieces for next year, problem is I've watched all the popular sports anime and while I loved them I don't feel passionate enough to actually draw something for them that isn't boring? I did watch Akira tho very recently for the first time and I want to do a big elaborate piece of that for myself but should I bother making prints of it? Would anime movie prints do well at anime cons ghibli and such? And is there any other classic animes that would do well (ex: flcl, cowboy bebop, fma etc)? These are the animes I'd grew up with and find more inspiration in. I was also thinking of drawing fantasy/horror AUS for sports anime for myself, but would prints of those do well at all? I'll probably end up drawing a lot of these anyway but I just want to know what I should invest in actually getting prints of? Also are there any modern popular fantasy/horror animes that do well? such as tokyo ghoul
>>
I ordered from acorn press too and their printing quality was awful, there was a white line on all my charms, some were burned?? one design was completely see through when I told them about it, they offered to reprint the design free of charge and after that I never heard back from them nor did I ever see that design reprint. The images are blurry and on their solid charms a lot of the skin tones were basically solid white, they are very over saturated. I will never recommend acorn press to anyone. This was actually my first charm order ever and I blamed it on my files but after seeing everyone's reviews I am eager to try a higher quality printer to see the difference.
>>
File: tumblr_nqf356fpVu1tbaesyo1_500.png (512 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqf356fpVu1tbaesyo1_500.png
512 KB, 500x750
>>8680222
what the fuck is this?????
>>
>>8682575
cute style, but those legs are seriously out of place with the rest of this image
>>
Has anyone heard back from animeboston pro row or katsucon yet? I'm getting antsy waiting for a response since those are my favorite cons and I'm really hoping to get into both this year.
>>
>>8682511
Classics like FMA and FLCL always sell pretty well in my experience. And honestly sports anime AUs would probably sell too, as long as it's clear what the source material is-- prints of the Haikyuu guys in their volleyball uniforms are everywhere, so if you draw an AU, you might get more attention than you'd think.
>>
>>8682575
What the fuck happen with Pana legs
>>
File: love live.png (1 MB, 1044x1500) Image search: [Google]
love live.png
1 MB, 1044x1500
From the same artist who drew >>867807 this one is drawn before they made their 'speshul tumblr diversity!!!' drawing.
To be honest, I find this one a little bit more bearable to look at? Umi probably looks the best out of the bunch. Although Rin and the third years are a lost cause.

>>8682575 I love the style a lot but fuck Hanayo doesn't need thunder thighs
>>
>>8682768
honoka is actually pretty cute in this, but the rest, yeesh.
>>
>>8682768
All the girls are okay except 3rd years
Why the artist did that weird faces
>>
>>8682777
Tumblr artists simultaneously try to make everything super diverse and avoid looking like anime. Which I can appreciate at a certain point but who would genuinely want that Nico face on their stuff?
>>
>>8680435
seriously, i don't know how people think rose is fat. she clearly is not fat. people just latch on to anything.
>>
>>8682768
It's amazing how tumblr's idea of diversity is to make everyone as ugly as possible. You want diversity so much, why not make them different kinds of hot? Some muscular, some with partly shaved heads, some with tattoos... you get to tick a lot of body positivity and inlcusion boxes AND your work won't look like ass! Amazing. It's like the whole obsession with fatness and really weird faces is just their sad version of a self-insert, trying to make themselves feel better about being unable to take the elevator with other people in case they break the chain, creating a fantasy land where obese and homely girls skyrocket to fame in an industry infamous for promoting extreme thinness and rigid beauty standards.
Oh wait.
>>
>>8682822
They think not-skinny = fat.
>>
>>8681953
Thankyou so much anon. I kind of need all of the sparkly things, and I've used angelina in it's fibre form, so this is really exciting. Thankyou for sharing your source and all the best with your stickers!
>>
Anyone one else find it weird if an artist is phasing out items in their inventory so they decide to sell stuff off they made to OTHER ARTISTS, to add to the other person's inventory? Someone's attempting to do that in an AA group, with the pretense that her stuff does well, and it's just odd to me to even purchase another artist's old stock for the purpose of selling it as your own work.
>>
>>8683027
Wait what? I've never heard of anyone doing that.
>>
>>8682904
Their art is just ugly and not suited to something as kawaii as LL, thats all.
>>
File: 1440397105744.jpg (135 KB, 960x576) Image search: [Google]
1440397105744.jpg
135 KB, 960x576
>>8678075
looks like the fucking tranny in gen zed

pic very related.
>>
>>8682768
Shit faces aside, is kotori a corpse? what is wrong with her skintone? In fact, this artist has no grasp of the way skin colour works at all.
>>
>>8681065
OK, so JiMI put their prices finally.
I think they are a bit expensive? They go from $3 to $2.35(If you order 4 designs/300 rolls)
>>
>>8683299
Yeah, I took a look at the doc today too and I was like damn...I've never made washi tape before, but that sounds a bit expensive. Doesn't sound worth it unless you're an established artist with a steady stream of sales (though anyone using Jimi probably already is, what with their 200 piece minimums lol).
>>
Anyone know good shirt printing business?
>>
Hey, I run a product feature blog and I've run out of stuff to post about.

Link me to your stuff, especially a product you're particularly fond of that you'd like me to post about
>>
File: il_570xN.769633660_gt0i.jpg (26 KB, 570x321) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.769633660_gt0i.jpg
26 KB, 570x321
>>8683765
https://www.etsy.com/listing/215105255/16-inch-white-rave-costume-animal-fox

white fox tail with LED lights. Perfect for raves.
>>
What do you guys do at slow conventions? Work on more products/draw, browse /cgl/, stare at people until they come over to your table, etc.

at a slow con now.
>>
>>8681832
sorry to be such an annoying faggot but this question was me, maybe it would be better if I asked what attendance was like at cons you guys have been to, and how much you brought for those? Sorry, I just really have no idea where else to go for this
>>
>>8683927
There is no real answer other than just bring as much as you can. You never know what is going to sell very well and what won't sell at all.

Its an unsatisfying answer, but that's it.
>>
>>8683980
I'm just worried about having too much afterward, I don't know when the next time I can sell will be. I guess I can always try for online, though
Any advice is good advice, thanks!
>>
>>8681832
5-10 copies of each (for prints, but I'm sure this could apply to those other products as well, maybe) is a good way to gauge what sells and what doesn't. I also see that it's a pretty good number since you won't have too many left over merch, if any. Better to sell out than not imo
>>
>>8683802
I usually make more product, I mostly do accessories at artist alley. If I'm 100% done and can't make more stuff, I'll just draw or pray a friend comes over and chit chats. Otherwise I just people watch.
>>
>>8684363
that sounds like a good number, thanks!
>>
File: 20151024_181724-768x1365.jpg (207 KB, 768x1365) Image search: [Google]
20151024_181724-768x1365.jpg
207 KB, 768x1365
>>8676785
>tfw you always go over budget in the artist alley
>>
>>8683802
Some prep work like cutting out button printouts or organizing/cleaning my table space. If I'm really at a loss I draw or play on my 3ds or read a book.
>>
>>8682768
Google image reverse search has nothing, where is everyone finding these cringefests?
>>
>>8684756
The original post was in those photo sets Tumblr does so I just cut and pasted them to one picture. But if you want to know who the artist is, their blog is tomatomagica. Those drawings took longer than I wanted to find, though.
>>
Thinking of having my own anime chibi-themed booth soon. How many fandoms should I focus on? I notice it's usually 3 or 4 but then I'm afraid things won't sell.
>>
>>8684769
I am so perplexed by her art. When she draws OCs or even some other fanart, there's variation but everyone looks human and healthy. I feel like her art just really, really isn't suited to a cutesy anime fandom.
>>
>>8685218
Holy shit you're right. What the fuck? How does she think that the Set From Hell looks good when she does actually good art otherwise? I wuoldn't say it's just her style either. The entire bottom row is terrible and the middle row is decent, in comparison. If she'd done everyone in Honoka's style it would be a hell of a lot better. Not great, but better.
>>
File: tumblr_4444444444444.png (1 KB, 88x22) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_4444444444444.png
1 KB, 88x22
>>8685501
>If she'd done everyone in Honoka's style it would be a hell of a lot better.
But then it won't be diverse. And you're not a good artist unless you make every character look drastically different from the last.
>>
>>8684953
>anime chibi-themed booth
Whatever you do, learn how to draw well first. Don't be another Paprika Studios. Try Love Live and Attack on Titan. People are also suckers for Sailor Moon and Pokemon.
>>
>>8681025
when have i ever traced tho lmao
>>
>>8686104
>>
File: Loki Popcorn.gif (836 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
Loki Popcorn.gif
836 KB, 500x213
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 750x899) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 750x899
>>8680397
Someone needs to show this to her.
>>
>>8685501
She did it for tumblr brownie points
>>
File: Untitled.png (10 KB, 515x87) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10 KB, 515x87
>>8686146
and you apparently need to be shown this
>>
>>8686148
kek
>>
>>8686148
I saw that, but I don't see how showing it to someone who was an asshole to someone about fanart is "tumblr drama".
>>
>>8686146
Honestly everyone needs to be shown this. It's sad that people start shit over fanart, what the hell.
>>
>>8686146
Too late
>>
>>8686174
Jesus fuck this girl
>>
File: Untitled.png (28 KB, 554x274) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
28 KB, 554x274
>>8686174
>>
>>8686174
the artist of that rose pic wasnt even "erasing diversity"

she was drawing rose about the same size as she was in the show

why is this still a thing
why
>>
File: AhahanoDemon.jpg (67 KB, 400x406) Image search: [Google]
AhahanoDemon.jpg
67 KB, 400x406
>>8686174
>>8686193
TOP KEK
>>
>>8684953
Depends on your output. Chibis generally tend to be fast and easy, so I feel like having a wide range would benefit you, especially because people aren't always buying for the quality of the art.

I think it's more important to have "complete sets," that way fans of that particular fandom are more inclined to buy multiple.
>>
>>8684953
Unless they're amazing I just ignore chibi-themed booths, honestly. If that's your skill level then I suppose you can't help it, but fwiw I think most people find chibi-only artists to be a bit bottom of the barrel.
>>
File: oomoo.jpg (9 KB, 199x240) Image search: [Google]
oomoo.jpg
9 KB, 199x240
Could anyone recommend a good casting silicone?

Clear resin in this case to dye is what is going in it but looking for a good brand for all of it really. I don't mind getting a digital scale so a mix that isn't 1:1 is just fine since I can measure it out.

I had some Smooth On OOMOO 30, but the damn pink part hardened somehow and the other half is useless without it. Had barely used any and the crap is expensive. So I'm looking for something maybe a little more in bulk maybe, catalyst needed is fine if it means I can avoid that happening in the future. Or if there is a better way to buy Smooth On outside of 30 bucks for a small can even that I may attempt again.
>>
>>8686267
Honestly when I used to work at an art supply store we'd get returns on oomoo all the time because it had expired and one of the bottles became unusable. This was a few years ago, but at the time they had a cryptic code to decipher to figure out what the unit's expiration date was. Your best bet is to either buy from the source, or ask your art dealer to decipher that code for you and get a fresh kit.

I know this doesn't help much (my only experience with silicone is oomoo) but if you wanted to give it another try at least you know what the deal is with their stuff.
>>
>>8686276
Actually that is pretty helpful. I'm pretty sure you are right and that is what happened because I know it was sealed so it wasn't air exposure. I had it awhile to be fair.

I just always see in online demonstrations people with giant plain jugs of silicone, but you have to add catalyst so its not 1:1 but looks like it would be more economical. I can do the math and measuring so seemed a good idea.
>>
File: weeb2.jpg (136 KB, 638x825) Image search: [Google]
weeb2.jpg
136 KB, 638x825
This is nowhere near done yet but idk, what do you kids think? I'd want to make acrylic charms of it - my boyfriend doesn't think it will sell.
>>
>>8686349
It's ugly. Make the thing in the trash a cute mascot instead of a ripoff of Sesame Street.
>>
>>8686349
it bothers me that its off center
>>
>>8684769
Some of her shit's okay and then there's shit where she actually regressed in her 'progress' pictures from 2012 what the heck
>>
File: weeb.png (104 KB, 438x685) Image search: [Google]
weeb.png
104 KB, 438x685
>>8686349
I guess horrible people will like it. Some people will see humor in it being Oscar but regarding what the other anon said I don't know if people could connect with it if you made your own mascot. It would have to be a person covered in the usual weeb getup for people to go "haha that's me I'm a disgusting weeaboo." Making himself look weebier/cuter might help. I gave it a go but it's not really an improvement.
I would say it's a hard sell but people do seem to love this crap on Tumblr so who knows. If you have the time and money I'd say you may as well test the waters. If you appeal to that crowd with other fandoms then you could be bringing in the right audience.
>>
>>8686413
a weeb version of oscar makes the most sense really, i mean thats the whole point of the joke. dont change it
>>
>>8685520
Oh god that's one thing I hate about the tumblr crowd "YEAH UM I MOVED ON FROM DRAWING ANIME BECAUSE IT"S NOT DIVERSE ENOUGH"
>>
File: eveesnow.png (443 KB, 447x675) Image search: [Google]
eveesnow.png
443 KB, 447x675
Thinking of selling some eveelution charms/stickers and Disney Princess Pastel-goth kawaii desu prints. The print is by far incomplete but the lines are final and that's the first two evee stickers done. Thoughts?
>>
>>8686509
That eevee's face looks really unsettling to me.
>>
>>8686421
The trash can is the main part of the joke, isn't it? You could put literally anything in the trash can and it wouldn't change the joke. I personally wouldn't want an unsettling pink version of Oscar the Grouch on any merch and find this design ugly and unappealing, but if it were a parody of like, Pokemon (trubbish maybe?) or any other more relevant thing - something to do with weebishness - i would want it.
>>
>>8686509
What exactly are you trying to go for here?
>pentagram straps
>oldschool tattoo style birds and diamonds
>deer antler flower crown
>Galaxy gradient in hair

There doesn't seem to be any link between the pokemon and Snow White at all, either.
>>
>>8686531
The eevees aren't part of the print, I just put them in the same image instead of posting twice, sorry if that was confusing?

>>8686531
> Disney Princess Pastel-goth kawaii desu.
You just...listed all the elements basically 90% of hipster-tumblrtards use as an aesthetic? Pic very related.

The birds are because...snow white? She does everything with animals? Same with the deer antlers, she's the only Disney Princess I could ever see getting away with a flower crown and antlers because she literally lives in a forest? Galaxy gradient and pentagram because 'woah so edgy'
>>
>>8686537
>I just put them in the same image instead of posting twice
Sorry yeah, I missed that.
In both the front leg which is further away from us looks thicker than its counterpart, which doesn't make sense. The Flareon's furthest front leg looks twisted because of how we can see all the pads on its' foot at once, so you might want to change that.

It's good that you're aware of your market and how to sell out, but I'm repulsed by everything about that. You might as well make her a non-descript brown colour and fat with stretchmarks, and give her an undercut and a pronoun rosette.
Joking aside, she would be cuter if the nostrils were closer together and a little further down, introducing the tattoo elements to her arms would bring some cohesion. She has yaoi hands and googly eyes but that might be your style.
>>
File: eevees.jpg (47 KB, 447x274) Image search: [Google]
eevees.jpg
47 KB, 447x274
>>8686509
The eyes on the print are really unappealing. They swallow up her face but it doesn't come across as cute or ethereal. Uncanny valley.
I like the flowers, birds and scroll combined since it has that tattoo vibe but everything else clashes with that. The pasted texture is really cheap looking.

The Pokemon are a lot better for a con. There's some white edges around them though so make sure you check them on a coloured background before you completely finish them. They're looking a bit faint so add some contrast, especially to Eevee.
>>
>>8686509
I'd recommend taking out the nose/nostrils? on Snow White. Maybe put a small shadow of a nose there, if you want? Her face looks really odd.

The Flareon's face looks stiff, as well.
>>
>>8686509
The eyebrows(?), nose and and lips look really off. Her skirt looks really off-centre too, the lines on her bodice don't follow any of the lines on her skirt at all and the angle's strange. Her upper arms are too short imo, but that's not all that noticeable. Maybe pull her lower lashline up a little too, it makes her look strangely lizard-like as it is.
That aside, I like that you know your market. Her hair and the tattoo birds look cool, and I really like the apple. I know a lot of tumblrinas would like this as it is, but if you clean it up a little you'll have a much easier time selling this to the non-tumblr crowd.
Flareon on left looks too flat and undersaturated. If you add some depth to it and brighten it a bit it'll look a lot better. Right Flareon could do with being a tiny bit less saturated imo.
I'd be interested in seeing progress pics, it looks like it'll be an interesting piece.
>>
>>8686234
...Is this a common thought? I want to do artist alleys just for fun, and chibis are the only things that i consistently enjoy drawing. My normal drawings definitely aren't print-tier anyways (Not the op btw).
>>
>>8687043
It's very common imo. If your normal drawings aren't print-worthy, chances are your chibis aren't as good as you think they are.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Some ideas for charms I'm throwing around.
Before I go through the process of doing them digitally I wanted to know if they look alright, stylistically? Anything I should change?
>>
>>8687043
If you really want to sell, I'd try sharing a table with a friend. I really wouldn't depend on chibis alone to break even.
>>
>>8687043
tbh weebs love chibis, if you are actually good at drawing them I don't see why you couldn't make a killing. Not sure what everyone else is talking about. Artist alley, as much as we wish it was, isn't actually a place where better quality ALWAYS makes the most cash.
>>
For those of you that make and sell jewelry and charms and polymer clay stuff, I've got a few questions.
What's the best way to go about displaying earrings and necklaces that are attached to a piece of cardstock? pic related.
What do you use to store your charms and supplies? I've looked around at joanns but i can't decide which one is the best.
>>
>>8687300
I use corkboards an pin them up usually, it works the best and looks cute.
>>
>>8687300
Anon is that your stuff? Where can I buy it?
>>
>>8687303
Yeah, that's what I was thinking would work best. Thanks!
>>8687304
Sadly no, it's one of the images that came up when I looked for charm packaging.
>>
File: charm.jpg (106 KB, 991x579) Image search: [Google]
charm.jpg
106 KB, 991x579
>>8687087
Your lines are weak and messy so it's kind of hard to judge the style overall. Most charms get their potential once coloured unless your lines are great and I can't really visualise your sketches as charms.
Her face is just a large circle so there's no definition in her cheek or jaw and then you drew the hair like her scalp doesn't exist. There needs to be a bit more volume around the top as the bow isn't inserted into her skull. Her eyes are drawn in two different styles so I'm not sure if you were experimenting but I'd say the eye we see on the right is better.
I think the blob hands and feet make a person appear lazy or inexperienced unless you can see the overall cuteness and quality in the finished product. Here they're uneven and you haven't given her shoes so your sketch isn't ready for digital. Make the hands look like they're gripping the broom.
In the movie her dress remains a rounded rectangular shape even when winds goes up so I'd soften the corners and curves. The sleeves should be a bit longer. The broom looks like she has a rifle between her legs but I'm awful with perspective so I'm not sure how to go about that. Maybe make her thighs/legs are a little bigger so the lines don't end up overwhelming them.
>>
>>8687321
eye on the left looks much better tbh.
>>
>>8687321
oh, yeah that edit looks way better, thanks!
I actually intend to make her hands and feet better, I just forgot about it before posting here, that's my bad. I should have cleaned up the sletch more before posting. I don't know what the fuck happened with that left eye.
I'll fix all that stuff up for sure, thanks again for the help
>>
File: indie_accessories_zps2a24b8b6.jpg (176 KB, 800x503) Image search: [Google]
indie_accessories_zps2a24b8b6.jpg
176 KB, 800x503
How do you guys deal with being stuck near those Taobao reseller booths in AA? You know the ones I'm talking about.
>>
>>8687351
About the same as I do when I'm near those chinese plush resellers (I sell handmade plush). I just continue to be friendly and polite and engage my customers like I normally do. If they're selling out in the open and the con doesn't care I can't do anything about it anyways. It is disheartening seeing people who don't know any better ooh and ahh over their items and purchase obvious bootlegs or things that were bought just to be resold (I freaking hate people who just buy pendants from Micheals and slap them on a regular chain or glue cabs on to ring bases) but it's whatever.
>>
Does anybody know if uv gel for nail art is as hard as uv resin?
>>
Anyone know a way I can make her face a bit less wide without redoing it all? I was thinking of doing the scouts, I'm assuming anything SM related sells well right? On top of that I'm a big fan myself...
>>
>>8687581
>gel
>resin
Come on anon, really?
>>
>>8687991
Did you drop your image? If you save all your layers it shouldn't be too hard to edit some lines but it's kind of hard to edit multiple shapes without losing quality or redrawing.
>>
I like drawing cute-erotic stuff. Will I get pounded on as a pedo if I open the floodgates and enter the AA with that kind of stuff?
>>
>>8688029
Post an example? Cute erotic and loli aren't the same thing so it really depends on your subject material and how you draw it.
>>
>>8688029
Be careful of which AAs you apply to. Some AAs outright ban anything that could be considered nsfw, erotic art included.
>>
File: CRhu6Q5UEAEuOH3.jpg (45 KB, 599x842) Image search: [Google]
CRhu6Q5UEAEuOH3.jpg
45 KB, 599x842
>>8688035
This kind of stuff, for example, that treads the line between youth and sensuality without being explicitly explicit.

Pic related not my art, by the way. I'm not comfortable revealing my stuff here (yet).
>>
>>8688049
That example is fine. It's hard to judge without actually seeing your work. Just don't sexualise things you shouldn't.
>>
>>8688063
>Just don't sexualise things you shouldn't.
Uh oh, the thought police have arrived.
>>
>>8688063
Drawn CP is illegal in my country, so yeah, I don't do anything too wild. I'm a little worried though, because recently it seems that SJWs are quick to pounce on anything that combines youthful/cute with eroticism and brand the artist as a pedophile/pedophile apologist. I'm not sure if I would experience the same backlash by participating in the AAs with that kind of art. I'm not the type of person who wants drama following them around.
>>
>>8688072
Yeah, I've even seen people saying that aging up characters so they're 18+ in porn is somehow pedophilic, which is... the most nonsensical shit. I think as long as your stuff is "for the art" then people won't be as able to come after you.
>>
>>8688071
The AA police can also arrive if there are complaints or rules but I don't know about that kind of stuff.

>>8688072
They can be. If you do feel like your art could be targeted then you might need to rethink what you should sell. These people are supposed to be buying your work so maybe you should just focus on the cute. You could do some more erotic pieces with some older looking characters you like maybe. Why aren't you comfortable with posting your work?
>>
>>8688071
Uh oh, here comes the kiddy fucker white knight army.
>>
File: image.jpg (136 KB, 636x779) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136 KB, 636x779
I never intended to sell this at cons, but general opinions on this kind of style? I just doodled it for a friend. I'm not particularly fond of it.
>>
>>8688078
>drawings are the same as real people
Might want to see a shrink for that failure to separate fantasy from reality.
>>
>>8688078
FWIW everyone I've ever known that's into shota art and dojinshi and whatever (can't really speak for loli) are gay/bi women. It's kind of weird but true. They have zero interest in any sort of real life guys but they find shota really cute/safe feeling I guess? I'm whatever about it, it doesn't hurt anyone.
>>
>>8688074
Yeah. I've seen people reach really far for things to be offended by, such as the use of the term 'shota' (it's not inherently sexual?).

>>8688076
Yeah, maybe I'll stick to just posting those types of things online. I enjoy drawing them so it's not an incredibly big deal to not profit off them. It's just that it would be nice to do work that I love.

I keep my erotic art private. It would defeat the point of going through all that effort if I just started linking my stuff everywhere. If you're asking why I keep my erotic art private... well, I don't know about you, but I think it's necessary to flaunt my sexuality around?

>>8688094
> gay/bi women
I can't argue against that.
>>
>>8688097
Well it's weird to ask about selling it but you won't show it since it's a private thing. A lot more people would be seeing it once it's on your table with you sitting there.
I don't think sharing it is flaunting your sexuality since you're just asking if it's suitable or not.
>>
>>8688122
That's true, but I haven't made a concrete decision to sell cute-erotic stuff yet therefore there's not really a need to expose my art?

I don't have any current intentions to travel, so I feel like no one would pay much attention if I keep a low profile and avoid broadcasting the erotic stuff through mass media. It's not like it's something that I'm ashamed about, it's more that I don't want it to incite drama if I can avoid it.

This thread has given me a vague idea on the kind of response I can expect to get though, so thanks for that.
>>
Question! How do you guys feel regarding using free to use or pay to use bases for charms/stickers/prints whatever whatever? I'm getting kind of sick of drawing pretty generic looking chibis when there's quite a few out there similar enough to my style or that I could tweak and it'd be a few dollars to save me time. .
>>
>>8688186
...Do you mean offering the bases, or using them for your products? For something like small stickers it might be okay, but I personally would never purchase any kind of merchandise that was obviously the same base edited to look like different characters. You'll always get people who will buy something just because it has X character or series, though.
>>
>>8688186
That's pretty shitty. It's fine if you make your own but using a premade one is just lazy and makes me doubt your ability. People aren't going to know it's a bought base though so I guess they can't judge you. Either make one or two poses, like sitting or sleeping and then do a series using that base. In doing this you then limit what people may be interested in buying. Someone will probably be more likely to buy multiple charms of characters they like in different poses than those same characters in the exact same pose. You save time and then lose money.
I can't really understand how you don't have the patience to draw different poses and it's kind of sad if you can just buy something that replicates what you're capable of.
>>
File: Capture2.png (187 KB, 387x438) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
187 KB, 387x438
>>8688199
Using them for products. On the one hand I feel like it's lazy and I probably also wouldn't buy from someone using a base. On the other hand I've bought adopts that use other people's bases because they're just too darn cute. So....if I'm willing to buy someone else's am I wrong to judge and use them for myself? It's a grey area for me. Probably won't though.

Looking for concrit on this sailormoon sticker, I posted mars a few threads back.
>>
>>8688217
Adopts are a design though. You're spending the money to own the character itself where people purchase prints and stickers because they like the art and existing characters.

The hair doesn't make sense. The top part isn't attached to her head which makes it look like a floating hat and then the buns are disconnected or too large as well which also gives a floating effect. Nothing looks unified. The twintails probably need to be placed lower behind her head and then angled outwards a bit so they don't fall straight down.
The eyes are a weird style and they're placed unevenly on the face but you can't even see them through the massive bang.
Outfit and wand is nice but the legs are going too far to the right. Her own right leg needs to be straighter to support her weight.
>>
>>8685580
I'd like to think I'm alright, it's just I'm not at a skill level to create worthy prints yet. If it helps I'm trying a more design-oriented approach (maybe more like icons) rather than an "art"-oriented approach.

>>8686224
I had a feeling doing masses of chibis would at least make things more interesting somehow compared to just a few.

>>8686234
I understand how you feel. Much of the time I find chibi designs very unappealing, uncanny or lacking in fundamentals which is why I kind of want to bring something "new" to the table while also getting some artist alley experience. The con is pretty small/local, so honestly I don't think I have much competition other than the merch vendors, bootleg poster sellers, and medicore artists. The only good artists just do purely comic fanart.
>>
File: an opinion.png (147 KB, 390x438) Image search: [Google]
an opinion.png
147 KB, 390x438
>>8688217
I personally would just avoid it and spend an extra couple of minutes sketching different poses.

forgive the messy 3 minute edit, just wanted a visual reference for what i'm pointing out. the most glaring problem to me is the face. It seems wonky and the eyes are really unfocused (and not in a characteristic, ditzy way). It seems odd that there's black lines for the blush when the rest of the lineart is pink toned. obvious noses tend to look pretty bad with chibi styles. It also seems weird to me when chibi styles have proportionate/small hands and then huge moonboot feet?
>>
>>8688186
I've had a lot of my art stolen and turned into bases on DA so I don't trust those at all. It would be best if you just came up with your own poses, it's not that hard.
>>
>>8688280
>>8688231
ty guys.
Yeah I could tell the face was off but before I was having issues with it being too wide and just no end of grief. Mostly because I'm trying to *kind of* get the same feel as the original drawings which were hair floaty and had crazy head proportions to start with, but saying so feels like an excuse? Her pose is the jumpy/floaty in air kind of one popular in magical girl shit so for me the supported weight took a backseat to the overall look to make it appear more 'shoujo'? Big bangs, small hands with moon boot feet are a style choice, no comment. Thank you for the edit, I forgot to recolour the facial lines - thanks for reminding me lol. Gonna work on the eyes more for sure though.
>>
>>8688217
Her arms are two different lengths.
>>
Is it just me or Vograce don't care if I provide cut lines. Or maybe I should conserve paths in Photoshop?
>>
>>8688280
This looks a lot cuter.
>>
>>8688361
I'd try to choose either small hands/feet or huge feet/hands combo. Now it's kind of stylely inconsistent and I think it would make it look more balanced.
I really like the flowey feel of the pigtails and how you're drawn those, I'd may try to get a same feel to the bangs as well? Since those looks kinda blocky at the moment. I know they imitate the original look but I think it would make the whole hairdo appear a whole entirety and not just two different parts.
>>
File: sanic.png (140 KB, 519x674) Image search: [Google]
sanic.png
140 KB, 519x674
>>8687080
Idk i feel like my skills aren't anything special, but since a bunch of other people selfposted I guess i will too. here's a chibi of Sonic from One Punch Man i'm working on right now, would a set of all the characters be cute?
>>
>>8688673
the style is cute but looks really lazily done, and pillow shading is for babies.
>>
>>8688673
It's fairly cute and the proportions are well done. But the stripes on his jumpsuit are very uneven and the lines are all the same weight. The sparkles on his hair would look better in a solid color. When you shade, think about how the light is actually hitting the object, don't just throw highlights in the middle of everything.
>>
Just sent in my first AA application & I am so nervous and excited at the same time. It's a very small local convention and I really hope I can get in!

They had a weird application process which was send in a note that you're interested and then they replied almost a month later... Which is why I didn't see their email until five days after they sent it. Hope that doesn't hurt my chances of getting in too much. They surely would have sent an email saying all the spaces have filled up if they did, right? Or put a notice on their website. Just me being nervous.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 59

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.