[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else here wear costume items to a convention, not for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Anime-Boston-2.jpg (269 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Anime-Boston-2.jpg
269 KB, 1200x900
Anyone else here wear costume items to a convention, not for attention but moreso to get into the spirit of the con?

When reading cgl threads it feels there are two types of cosplayers (good and shit). While mostly true, do you think there is a third group?

I think there is another group of individuals who go to a con that dress up not necessarily to show off and gain attention but mainly to get in the spirit of the con and wear something a little bit different.

You see these people all the time that wear a single piece of a costume (like a simon jacket) and an accessory. They'll do stuff like wear a Kimono, a karate gi,dress up in a three piece suit or just wear a brightly colored wig.

I don't consider these people bad cosplayers on account that the individuals who do this sort of single article wearing don't actively search for photographers, book photoshoots, enter gatherings and most of their pictures are either selfies or at con antics where the costume is not the subject.

is there anyone on cgl that does this sort of thing and if not what do you think? Are people having harmless fun or is it just a new wave of casuals?
>>
>>8856032
I think that woman has a dick.
>>
File: momcore.jpg (49 KB, 292x425) Image search: [Google]
momcore.jpg
49 KB, 292x425
I have a lot of anxiety about crowds, but it seems to lessen in costume or lolita, so I've started doing this on Sunday of conventions. (Or Friday, too, at really small cons where things don't start til Friday evening.) I'll wear just a wig and a t-shirt related to the character, or something bought and easy to put on, or accurate cosplay of more normie clothes. It helps me feel less anxious, but I don't have to stop and fix things and no one takes my picture, so I can just wander dealers' halls or ask for photos myself.
Only got shit for it once in person:
>in Orphan Black group, anyone who knows the show would know the character seeing the group
>ask a really mediocre Shulk cosplayer for a photo
>literally acrylic painted cargo shorts and a cardboard Monado, but I love Shulk
>he immediately asks if I'm here with my kid
>explain I'm in low-key cosplay for the night
>shulkbro gets really derisive about Real Cosplay and says people won't recognize me, "people shouldn't even wear closet costumes it's sooo lazy"
>mention our group's been stopped multiple times already, and also I really know what I'm doing in costume
>"suuure you do"
>ok bro, walk away, whatever

>next day
>wearing elaborate armor costumes with huge props
>shulkbro approaches, wearing the same shit, freaking out, asks for pic
>pose for him
>casually mention "oh, you saw me yesterday!"
>show him pic of orphan black group
>he just stares
>then fucking runs
>>
>>8856059
>Orphan Black
Good taste. Karma is a bitch, and shulkbro got what he deserved.
>>
It's okay, i guess. I had a good story and a shitty story about going to cons with certain stuff like cat ears and fandom t-shirts. But these are extremely shitty cons, this country has never been a good place for weeb or comic stuff.
>>
I think it's always been kind of around. A big thing used to be people wearing Naruto headbands, cat ears. and so forth. You still see that kind of thing and I like it because you can tell what fandoms people may be in, like showing nerd pride or something?

I often wear "fandom" inspired clothing on the days I don't want to cosplay, often on a Friday when the con is only in the afternoon. As an Evangelion fan I like to wear Asuka's hair clips and style my hair similar to hers, then I'll just wear maybe an Evangelion shirt, some skirt and just make sure stuff matches. I'd never call that cosplay though, so when other people do I kind of cringe.
>>
>>8856059
OMG were you alison?? i fucking love orphan black!! i went as sarah manning to a con but no one recognized me ;___;
>>
>>8856032
I have a thing for obscure characters/costumes and I do it to show my love for the series.
People do ask for my picture a lot though without knowing the character- and thats the perfect oppurtunity for me to say my character and what she's from!
>>
>>8856661
Yes! I had a glue gun in my pocket for posing, and we had Helena, Cosima, and Sarah. It was a good time, but a lot of the characters are hard to pull off alone. I only do Alison with the group because otherwise no one would know I wasn't actually a soccer mom.
>>
I buy a lot of my costumes and dress up for spirit of the con. I don't care for learning to make my own, I just want to have fun, hope to meet fans of my semi-obscure series, and get a lot of merch
>>
>>8856032
I think you're thinking of the people who go to a con without a costume and once they see all the cosplayers, they really wanna fit in and have fun like they are, so they initially get/make a cosplay to join the crowd and all of its fun & to get into the spirit.

After that, IMO, they just keep doing it either for fun or they really like the attention. Neither option is wrong.

But we all start pure and kawaii af.
>>
>>8856803
>I had a glue gun in my pocket
that's beautiful
>>
>>8856032
I was thinking the same thing. I'm actually debating whether or not to wear my trigun jacket I bought at a con last year just for fun. I mean I did wear it last year, but didn't really care because I just wore out of excitement of finally buying it.
>>
>>8856032
There's a difference between actual lazy cosplay and "Yeah, I'm wearing an Akatsuki cloak." The difference being what they're calling themselves/if they put in enough effort to make people think they were trying and failed.
>>
A lot of "bad cosplayers" are just chil af congoers who just wanna be a bit nerdy.

I usually wear my aspect hoodie to cons, and occasionally wander around in full ravenclaw gear haha. It's a bit more dressed up without being a costume or uncomfortable.
>>
>>8856046
Succubuses are ribbed for your pleasure.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.