[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lolita is a costume, normals etc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
Have not been to this board in years. Anyone gave up on explaining the whole Lolita-is-a-fashion-not-costume to the normals? I was really particular about it when I was 18 but these days I feel like I don't care and it's tiring to always have to explain. I mean, normals will never get it and I don't really care if they do. Plus we /do/ look ridiculous and costume like in Lolita. If they call it a costume I kinda just go with the flow and brush them off with "yea its a costume fashion where you dress like a Victorian doll"

Am I the only one? Also is this board still filled with tumblrfags?
>>
>>8809532
Not everything looks like a costume tho. I wear lolita daily and even I admit I stand out in school but it's not really more costume than someone else's clothes. However, in my opinion OTT has taken too much place in the fashion: it should be something represented in fashion shows and big events. The majority of the fashion should still be something you are really able to wear daily. In school nobody has ever asked about my "costume". Because it's just frilly pink clothes.
>>
File: casual6[1].jpg (75 KB, 366x640) Image search: [Google]
casual6[1].jpg
75 KB, 366x640
LOL. No one's asked me if I'm in a costume for a long, long, long time. When I first started, yeah, I'd have to explain I'm going to a dress-up party. But now I've learnt to dresss down, mix my lolita stuff with casual normie stuff, and the most I'd get is someone saying I look too nice for the grocery store.

As for tea parties, meetups and such, I'm going to guess that most people can see it's a party -- we're eating food, we're chatting and laughing, we're taking selfies, we turn down photos and don't interact with strangers, it's probably really obvious we aren't there as an event. The most we've had is people asking what's going on, and the wait staff photobombing our photos (there's one meetup where all the waiters make "V" signs in the background of nearly every group photo.)

So, no costume questions involved at all.
>>
>>8809532
I live in one of the biggest cities in the US so I rarely am the weirdest looking person on the street, even on the odd occasions I'm out in OTT. Usually if someone is asking about my outfit I just tell them the name of the brand I'm wearing.
>>
It has never bothered me when people call it a costume, but it also isn't that hard for me to say, "oh, it's actually just a fashion." Ta-da. I will never understand why some girls make such a huge deal about explaining to normies. It's not that hard to sum up in a sentence or two and move on.
>>
>>8809532
im pretty quick when it comes to explaining lolita to normies, so i really dont feel the need to call it a costume. i feel like that would actually cause more conversation. "why are you wearing a costume on a normal day?" "its not halloween yet!".
i usually just say stuff like "its a japanese fashion where you dress in cute frilly clothes daily" and im on my way. i dont go into depth like some lolitas do, i think thats super unnecessary most of the time.
>>
>>8809532
The OTT bullshit has taken over mostly and it does look like a costume now. Especially since "real" lolitas are gone and nowadays "lolitas" wear their OTT costumey stuff to cons and meets or to take pics only. Sad.
When i wear my glorious old school or some casual lolita (lolita skirt and a cutsew for example) it looks totally fine and non costumey to me.
Ugh i wish it was 2008 again sometimes.
>>
>>8809532
I have never been asked about my "costume", because I don't dress in OTT but rather mic my otome and vintage stuff with my lolita clothes. The question I get all the time is as >>8809595
said "What are you dressed up for?". Sometimes in a condescending way and sometimes just plain curious (mostly my family).
Many have complimented me on my special style and that I stand out in a good way (you hear, I'm not like them other gurrlsss).

Amazingly the only people reacting negatively are people in my age or teens, who should've been grown up in a more tolerant and diverse world than back then. Irritates me a bit.
>>
"actually it's a fashion, like goth but pink"
Is my go-to phrase. No it's not a costume, here's some context. Done.
>>
>>8809718
>"real" lolitas are gone and nowadays "lolitas" wear their OTT costumey stuff to cons and meets or to take pics only.
Actually a whole bunch of the mature crowd just don't publish their shit to social media with lolita tags, or they graduated to otome. I wear a lot of casual/borderline daily, but I'm sure as hell not tagging that or putting it on cof, I'm only putting out my most polished coords.
>>
Had a woman come up to a meet and say 'this is fantastic, what is it?' and I told her 'it's a Japanese fashion' the fact that she said 'Oh! Anime!' with such happiness made me not want to correct her.

She didn't seem judgy at all, she just seemed happy to be 'in the know', so I left it alone. It wasn't worth crushing her spirits, feel me Gulls?
>>
>>8809769
Facebook would benefit so greatly from a 'daily otome' group or an 'Oootd' - Otome Outfit of the Day
>>
>>8809782
iktf. once i had this older guy come over to me and say "living doll? are you a living doll?". he was super enthusiastic and even asked for a picture. he said he wanted to show his daughters how he saw a "real living doll" and kept saying how he wished his daughters could be there to see this. he seemed so excited so i didnt bother corrected him, i just wanted him and his daughters to be happy. im a big pushover softie i guess.
>>
>>8809786
There is a Otome Closet: Daily Otome Coords group
>>
>>8809761
huh, that's a really good way of putting it! goth is probably the only alternative fashion that "normies" etc. understand so saying it's like goth but X seems like a good way of putting it in terms they understand.

similarly, I will just say it's a japanese street fahsion/harajuku fashion - people generally "get it" when I say that so I find that's all you really need to mention. if someone seems genuinely interested I'll say lolita and explain more but most people just have a quick, passing curiosity - they don't need the details unless they ask.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.