[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Florida Cons: 2016 edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: florida_sign.jpg (2 MB, 2100x1500) Image search: [Google]
florida_sign.jpg
2 MB, 2100x1500
> any cons in your area coming up?
> What con are you planning on attending this 2016?
> any big cosplay groups being planned this year?
>>
No cosplay groups since I'm not really into the florida cosplay comm. Since I'm making a big investment this year theres only three cons i'm attending. MegaCon (yeah expensive as fuck but eh?) Metrocon (haven't been there in years) and of course Awa, my favourite con of the year.
>>
>>8784823
Pensacon is coming up in Feb. Hopefully this year will be better.

Metrocon, Mechacon, Holiday Matsuri, and AFO

I would love a full Final Fantasy Tactics Advance group. One can dream~
>>
>>8784823
> Any cons in your area coming up?
Omni in March I think? Other than that there's just Mega but that's not for a good while.

> What cons are you planning on attending this 2016?
Mega, Metro, Tampa Bay, AFO, Holmat, maybe Super?

I legit have absolutely no idea what I'll be making come 2016 aside from Tatsumaki from OPM. Everything else is completely up in the air. I don't have any groups planned at all.
>>
>>8784823
How is Magic City Comic Con? I'm thinking of coming down there to shoot and hang out.
>>
I would like to do AFO and Chibi again. Maybe FAE depending on what guests they get this year.

For me its all very up in the air atm. There is a chance I may have to move out of state soon for my work,
>>
Everything is way away for me.

Planning on Mega and Super since its convenient. Wanna try and hit some more Tampa ones if work allows it but last year was the year of the OT and none of that extra cash brought me happiness.

Hoping to Cover some Final fantasy cosplay this year. Seeing this years lineup of movies gives me some high hopes except for the increase of Harley cosplay that's gonna happen. Looking forward to some WoW stuff though.

Looking to see what most people post on here to try and give me a handle on what other cons I should try and shoot for
>>
I just want to visit Metro City Comic-Con even if it's the same shit as Super and Animate. maybe change it up a bit and visit Holiday Matsuri one day.
>>
I plan on hitting up Mega, Metro, and HolMat this year. I don't know if I'll have the funds or the desire to do any others.
>>
>>8785195
I'll be going to that again this year! In my experience it's like a mini Supercon. They have so many guests this year that I'm worried it'll be really packed
>>
>>8786185
Fucking Bill Nye is going to be there, that's enough reason for me.
>>
>>8786216
Holy shit I just heard about this since I'm not familiar with that con. Definitely worth it, plus his new book with autograph is a really good price.
>>
>>8786216
Carol Spinney too, if you care as much about Big Bird as I do.
>>
We're staying off site for Megacon. Mega bought out 10 nearby hotels for 150 night, our room is 50. No more Extended stay for us since price is high.

FloridaCon is the same weekend as Morikami Oshogatsu, but it's free so photo shoot con I go by parrot jungle. That's Jan. 10th. Undecided on Magic City, 17th. Chibipa Sampler probably February, close to me and con in November. I am thinking of adding Mizucon, HolMat, Hurricon, AWA, reasonable badges prices. Kawai con also a possibility in Hawaii, family lodging. Super/Metro undecided but AFO has priority over those two. Badges are expensive. Don't think I can afford Dragoncon.

Megacon, planning eeveelution/trainers and fairy tail group. I'd love to do a really elaborate but accurate White Queen. I've never done a comic cosplay in all 15 years. Last Megacon for me was 2011, but always got Saturday pass. Hoping I won't have to 90, is crazy when Dragoncon current tier is 100. Dcon first tier started at 90 for comparison. Most of the local anime cons have cheap badges fortunately.
>>
Going to mostly out of state cons in 2016, actually, though I'm probably going to hit up the small tier animal cons as they won't take much out of my budget. Skipping Mega this year and if I get RTX badges I won't be going to Supercon either.
>>
>>8787291
*anime. Though autocorrect isn't lying.
>>
>>8786990 Well I was supposed to hang out with one of my friends from the proposed Mega group, though she bailed and said she was at the DMV yesterday and today, when it turns out she will be at the DMV tomorrow after she gets replacement car. I don't have high hopes anymore, but will see when it is close to the Feb price tier cut-off if situation improves. If it turns out to be just me, I might skip Mega. From what I recall Mega only allowed local volunteers, so being 3.5 hours away, that isn't even an option. I am considering for volunteering also to reduce my costs.

I need to price plane fares for out-of-state cons to see how much plane for AWA or Kawaii kon would be.
>>
>>8786359
Bill Nye's only on Friday so be aware. And won't be at a booth it seems. More like just panels and photo ops maybe.
>>
Going to Mega because it's right near me and huge. Prob gonna only buy a ticket for like a day or two and spend more money on partycon. Wish I could go to Magic just to compete vs small timers. Super is a yearly tradition, will compete there. I liked what I saw at HolMat so I want to go there again. Might hit up my first Tampa con with Metro. No Dragon or AWA this year, no thx ATL.

Don't think I have any groups planned other than for masquerade. I am doing Soul Calibur tho and want others to do it as well.
>>
>>8788841
I saw he's doing a Q and A and then doing a book signing a few hours after. It looks like you probably have to buy the pass that includes his book to get any kind of signature since he's not set up anywhere else, and he's only doing the book signing at the one specific time on Friday.
>>
SwampCon is in February in Gainesville. It's usually a clusterfuck though. Lots of underage weebs running about because of the free thing. The last year I went the artist alley was essentially non-existent because of UF's no selling on campus policy.
>>
File: 1447521164444.png (228 KB, 598x348) Image search: [Google]
1447521164444.png
228 KB, 598x348
>>8784823
Magic City, Chibi-pa, Kpop con Miami(?) and if I get into dream school then any Orlando cons.

Metro, Mega, and Holmat are my lowkey dream cons to attend.

Not right now, 2noob for any commitments.

I'm also hoping to sell my art in an AA this year, probably gonna start at Chibipa.
>>
>>8789871
I sold the year before they started enforcing that and it was meh. Then they told it's for the next year we could set up tables and bring whatever we wanted, but we couldn't take any money for it. Like, we could bring portfolios and examples and network but we couldn't sell anything because of the UF policy. The fuck is the point?
>>
>>8789879
What school in Orlando could possibly be a dream school? UCF lets everyone and their mother in, and you know Full Sail is a joke, right?
>>
>>8789879
Do not go to Full Sail, anon. It's a ripoff. Go to a cheaper school like UCF, UF, FSU, etc.
>>
>>8789871
>>8790384
Swampcon is an embarrassment. I wish it didn't exist. It's not like we need a con here. It's not hard to drive/take a bus to Orlando for actual conventions.
>>
>>8790394
I'm actually surprised it got funded again this year. They and to do some kind of crowd funding after last year.

That drag show was an absolute cringe fest. Lots of 14 year olds tipping saggy queens, nuts popping out left and right. The 3D Miku concert was also a disaster.

The only reason i'm thinking of going is that it would give me an excuse to enjoy the Gainesville atmosphere as I don't get to transfer to UF for a couple of years yet.
>>
>>8789871
Its a free con. The only reason it keeps getting funded is through students, UF itself is not affiliated with it. What do you expect out of a free con, your wishes and dreams to come true? It's not even the most disorganized con in Florida, because if they fuck up enough, they'll loose all funding or even permission to use the Rietz Union. Yeah, you can't sell your shit, but if you want to hang out with friends and go to panels or shows for free, then go. Get drunk somewhere else like downtown.
>>
>>8790803
I get what you're saying. Its a student funded event so it's not going to be that extravagant. Maybe I just have stupidly high standards for cons, but I feel like if they're going to go through the trouble of even putting it on every year they should at least attempt to raise the bar. They have basically the same events as last year and only a single guest lined up. I suppose they have a little over a month or so to add more but it just feels a bit lack luster. But, like I said that could just be me.
>>
>>8790937
>have stupidly high standards for cons
No you don't if you go to Florida cons
>>
>>8790390

Valencia and Seminole are good places to go as well
>>
File: You_serious.png (285 KB, 639x479) Image search: [Google]
You_serious.png
285 KB, 639x479
>>8790390
>cheaper school
>UF
>>
>>8792160
UF's in state tuition and fees are less per credit hour than both UCF and FSU. Books are slightly more epensive, but housing costs both on and off campus are less. Also, UF's (and the other FL colleges) are way below the national average for public, 4-year institutions. Cry harder #OccupySheeple.
>>
>>8792851
Have fun having one mall and lots of trees and racists.
>>
>>8793852
DESU you just described almost all of north-central florida.
>>
>>8793852
Eh it was worth for 4 years. Getting a well paying job right out of college with my degree was nice. You don't have to stay in the middle of nowhere once you're done. Anyway, back on topic.

I want to go to Megacon. I can't bring myself to go to smaller events anymore. I like to put all my effort into making nice costumes for a couple big cons.
>>
Most likely Mega, Metro, Shado, and HolMat for sure.

Getting ready for Metrocon cast auditions. I think I did pretty decent in Masq and Chess last year so I want to do it again.
>>
Anyone heading to Magic City have a bed/couch they would be willing to rent out for the weekend? hotel prices are really steep and I'd rather share the bill
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.