[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
General meetup thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (426 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
426 KB, 1280x853
Saw a thread specifically for "meet killers", but not for discussing meetups overall. Feel free to ask for any help regarding meetups if you are planning one as well.

> How long have you been going to meetups for?
> What was the best meetup you've ever been to?
> Worst?
> How often does your comm hold meetups?
> Are you satisfied with the amount/quality of meetups that your comm holds? What would you like to change about it?
> If you have not gone to a meetup yet, would you like to in the future? Why or why not?
>>
File: 8740_900.jpg (80 KB, 736x445) Image search: [Google]
8740_900.jpg
80 KB, 736x445
What do you think about themed meet ups?
>>
About eight years now.

That's pretty hard to pick. We've had some really nice ones over the years. The ones I like best are the ones that allow everyone to chat, though. So picnics, high tea, etc.

> Worst?
We had one picnic that people wouldn't let go. Some of us tried to convince the organiser to move it to another day because the weather forecast was dire. It was mid-autumn, and started bucketing down rain in the middle of everyone eating. I didn't even bother wearing a full-on coordinate because I knew it was going to be bad, but wanted to see some of my friends all the same. We ended up going to a restaurant by ourselves when the meet broke up.

There's usually at least one a month. Lately, there's been as many as two "large" meets a month, with smaller groups holding more private gatherings as they want.

> Are you satisfied with the amount/quality of meetups that your comm holds? What would you like to change about it?
In general, yes. I do wish fewer people would RSVP and flake, though. That seems to be pretty common with most lolita communities.

> What do you think about themed meet ups?
Depends on the theme. A lot of our meets do themes more as suggestions than mandatory participation. If I have items that suit the theme or have time to come up with something that suits the theme, I'll wear it. If not, I don't stress about it.
>>
>>8764670
>> How long have you been going to meetups for?
only nine months
>> What was the best meetup you've ever been to?
probably our recent ILD meet or our aquarium meet! I like smaller meets but I also enjoy bigger meets where I get to see more people and do something fun.
>> Worst?
I don't think I've been to a bad meet yet! I have been to a couple meets that had a small turnout though. Those weren't bad, just wish there were more people that could've made it.
>> How often does your comm hold meetups?
there's been at least 1 per month as of this past year. I've been in the FB group for longer, and a couple years ago things seemed kinda dead/there was only one meet every few months. I think the comm wants to try hosting 2 a month now that people are more active though.
>> Are you satisfied with the amount/quality of meetups that your comm holds? What would you like to change about it?
even with just one meet a month, yeah I'm pretty happy! I think one is enough for all of us at this point. I hope our comm does go through with trying to host 2 meets a month though - the way we want to do it is 1 sort of informal-ish meet that's just dinner and kind of the "standard" monthly meet like how some other comms do it, and then a second monthly meet that's like the usual rotating theme/location. meets tend to be us doing something, so I think having a more casual meet that's just getting in frills and having dinner with everyone will be nice!
>> What do you think about themed meet ups?
I like them, I think they're fun as long as the theme isn't mandatory; for the meets I've been to or hosted so far themes are just suggested rather than necessary - styles and wardrobe sizes are so varied in my comm I'm not sure if there's enough people with appropriately themed clothes to be able to have a strictly themed meetup that wasn't too small.
>>
>>8767386
Wasnt there some drama about this? Like the organizer showed up in an extravagant coord and acted like everyone else was her servant or some shit?
>>
>>8767428
There was, not quite that but similar. Basically there was drama because

Some people got offended by the idea of it being a "peasant's picnic," especially since the organizers made weird comments when writing up the theme like "Had a long day in the fields?" and were kind of romanticizing things, but then denying that it was a romanticized theme.

There was some drama because the organizers made a big deal about everything being 'historically authentic,' down to bringing your food in glass containers (no modern tupperware) and having a 'historically appropriate ground covering.' They also said that if you weren't going to spend the time making a good, themed coordinate (no prints, no bright colors, etc) or make sure your accessories and blanket/containers/etc were appropriate, then don't come to the meet.

BUT THEN... suddenly, one of the organizers friends (who still had a month to come up with a coordinate, mind you) said they couldn't wear aaaaanything appropriate, so the organizers decided she alone would get to dress OTT and she would be the "princess" that everyone waited on. And some people were mad about that, since they told everyone else "Don't want to work on a good themed outfit? Don't come!"
>>
>>8767435
Jesus if it was that big a deal for everyone to show up in theme, why couldnt she lend her friend a dress? Also
>historically accurate
>lolita
Pick one
>>
5 years
There was a Halloween meetup a few years ago that was a lot of fun. There were events on in the city for it so we went to a few of those, they were really well done and we all had great fun.
> Worst?
Second or third meetup. It was supposed to be for someone's birthday, there was a smallish turnout and we ended up sitting in McD's. It was dismal.
Every month or so.
> Are you satisfied with the amount/quality of meetups that your comm holds What would you like to change about it?
Reasonably happy, I'd like us to try new things though. We're limited for stuff that includes booking out venues or anything that extravagant as we're quite small.
>>
2 years
This year's winter ILD
> Worst?
The ramen meet where only 2 others showed.
At least once a month.
I'm pretty new, but they same decent. I want to host more.
> What do you think about themed meet ups?
I haven't participated in any so I want to. They seem like they could be fun, but I don't think it should be mandatory.
>>
5 years, I'm kind of a veteran in my comm.
We had a christmas meetup at a girl's house last year, it was incredibly cozy despite being like 25 people, kind of like a christmas party with your weird extended family or something.
> Worst?
I've had a lot of subpar meetups, basically just everybody flaking and then having tea or coffee at a cafe with like four other girls and then going home.
Once or twice a month, sometimes more. We're quite active.
Yeah, pretty much. I like it the way it is.
>>
Just over two years now.
That's hard to say. Possibly our Christmas meetup from last year where we just had fun taking pictures and then chilling at one of the girl's houses. Our comm is pretty small so we don't really go in for huge meetups.
> Worst?
We haven't really had a bad meetup. Yet. Give it time.
About three a year.
Not really, to be honest. I'd love it if we could maybe get it up to once every two months or so. Our comm's pretty tiny - on average we have about 5 people per meetup - and that's a large group for us! I'd also like to suggest we do something other than tea shops and derping around because don't get me wrong, it's fun, but it's every single meetup.
>>
>>8767428
>>8767435
>>8767452
I remember all this drama. Fortunately, the cancer got removed a few months later. Chicago is now drama free.
>>
>>8767472
>the ramen meet
Do tell because I don't see slurping noodles as being a very good thing to do in burando.
>>
>>8768522

Not anon but I've done it. I just cover myself in 3-5 napkins. Not exactly kawaiidesu, but hey it works and I'm not about to let ramen get in the way of wearing an outfit I take an hour to prepare for.
>>
>>8768522
Another anon, but I've done it. One convention I go to has a good ramen shop down the street, so I end up going for lunch or dinner a few times while I'm there and usually in lolita. I just lean over the bowl and use napkins, and try not to slurp.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.