[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ACParadise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: acyheader.png (41 KB, 250x120) Image search: [Google]
acyheader.png
41 KB, 250x120
What's the deal with ACP events at conventions? I just went to AX and it seemed like every single person I knew was working for them wearing a costume for various booths. Is it paid? Is it cool? How do you get a job with them? Is there a union or something?
>>
>>9093893
Did you get any pics? Apparently there was a Guilty Gear one
>>
>>9093893
ACP is the main agency and point of contact between industry and volunteers for those who wish to volunteer and work officially at industry booths at cons.
>is it paid?
No. You get a free badge. Hotel MAY be provided, but usually it's by the industry company.
>How do you get a job with them?
Volunteer positions are usually posted 1-3 months ahead of the con on ACP's website, under Events. You make an account on ACP, apply for the said event, and ACP will contact you later about whether or not you're accepted. simple as that.
>union?
Nope. But usually volunteers who have proven themselves in the past are more likely to be accepted again. People who pick up their badge and ditch shifts are blacklisted and never approved again.
>>
>>9093962
As stated, badge, and sometimes goodies/free merch/access to guests (depends on booth). Generally you will work every day of the con in some capacity but figure half a day each. You get a free badge, sometimes an exhibitor badge (depends on booth), which is worth its weight in gold if you aren't one of the groups who gets early entry to the hall and you are trying to buy stuff. You may have competition depending on the popularity of the costumes/character you are applying to. If you want a more or less guaranteed acceptance pick something less fotm or less likely to be cosplayed. Acceptance may be immediate or may take some time before you get an answer. You don't particularly have to be top tier in terms of appearance/costume quality but do remember that it is part of the game.

Your job at the booth will vary depending on what is needed. You may be handing out flyers, may be acting as information sources, may be used as line/crowd control, or may just be there to look pretty. Expect a lot of posing for photos with and without attendees. You may also be tasked with helping with a panel or two if the company is holding one.

Is it cheap labor? Incredibly so. If you are short on cash, want to be an "official" cosplayer (kind of), just like helping out, or want to make network connections, it's great.
>>
>>9094079
Seconding all of this, but adding on to the last portion: I try to volunteer with ACP at Anime Expo because I'm find myself increadibly bored with most of what Anime Expo has to offer. Volunteering half my day gives me something to do, with just the right amount of time afterwards to hang with friends and go see some thing I might want to, plus time before the hall opens to buy stuff with the exhibitors badge. It's really a lot of fun, especially if it's a series you care about. The the company is doing panel/event for that series, chances are likely that you'll be helping with it, so you're guaranteed a seat to a packed panel without having to wait in line and worry about not getting in.
>>
The badge is usually an exhibitor/industry badge, which mean no one questions who you are and where you go. For major cons like AX, you skip the lines and bag checks. You are let into exhibitor halls early (because you are needed to set up anyways). Some cons will let you skip the 18+ check.

>>9094079
>>9094117
Also guaranteed autographs with the guests you're working with. Usually the guest is super happy and appreciative of your hard work and more than happy to give you an autograph (or two). Think of the people who lined up 2+ hrs for the autograph or got capped off? Yeah, you can skip that now.

That and you can make friends with the guests as well and keep in touch beyond the con.
>>
Working for ACP sucks because they tend to say "6 hours of work a day" but they'll schedule you for 2 hours, an hour "break" (not enough time to even get food at a place like AX) work 3 hours, a half hour break (enough time to get through crowds to go to the bathroom) then suddenly your last events runs an hour overtime. Also they want you there at least 45 mins before your shift so really your 6 hour shift is an 8-10 hour one which leaves you just exhausted enough to peel off your costume and collapse into bed. It's not paid outside of badges (not even food is provided) so you're basically letting ACP collect the finders fees while you're left with all the work
>>
>>9096530
>an hour "break" (not enough time to even get food at a place like AX)
It's only AX where there's not enough time for food. I had an hour to change complete costumes between shifts and found that protein shakes and nutrient-rich foods really work to fit in that schedule and keep me full and going. Also, some of the industry booths go overboard with providing staff (and volunteers) with food. Not just any food but weeby Japanese food.

>a half hour break (enough time to get through crowds to go to the bathroom)
Again, only AX maybe this is a problem. You can take off for 5-10 minutes for bathroom if you really need it during a shift if you're at a booth and other staff can generally cover for you. There's also common sense, you hit the bathroom before you come onto your shift.

>they want you there at least 45 mins before your shift
It's only 15 minutes ahead of time, and 30 minutes for the panels (which makes sense, because volunteers take care of the raffle tickets and handouts). I don't know where you got 45 minutes from, unless you're thinking of when the INDUSTRY that ACP was working with suddenly announced a later start time than originally scheduled and failed to pass that information on.

ACP checks to make sure you're there, but they are generally trying to keep tabs on all volunteers, so at larger cons like AX, they're unable to be there right at the start or stay for more than ~5 minutes. You pretty much have free reign over your own actions and doing some personal business as long as you don't make a show of it.
>>
>>9096530
Sounds like someone's salty that working the Sailor Moon event wasn't as easy as they thought
>>
>>9096530
So many flavors to choose from.
>>
>>9096530
this is pretty true. I've worked/cosplays for other booths before and have had to do far less than for ACP, and I get paid hourly+exhibitors badge. You're just doing free labor when you go for ACP.
>>
>>9096530
It depends on the booth and the number of staffing available. My friends got 3-4 hour shifts per day and then another shift took over for the other half of the day.

If you really need to go I'm not sure you'll find a man or woman alive at a con who will deny you a bathroom break and someone will cover you for a bit. Honestly the first thing I do at a con is figure out where the closest bathrooms are for each particular area and if I have to go I book it like there's no tomorrow, photo requests be damned.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.