[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Convention General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9
File: con badges.png (3 MB, 1528x1080) Image search: [Google]
con badges.png
3 MB, 1528x1080
When did you go to your first convention? Which con was it and how old were you?
How many cons have you been to since?

For me, My first convention was Hama-con in 2010 when I was 14. I've been to about 25 conventions since then (7 as an artist), and kept my badges to most of them (I lost a few :/).
>>
>>8721312
>first con
katsucon 2011
i was 13
>last con
otakon 2013
i was 16
conventions were too overwhelming for me
i moved on to lolita and jfash
>>
I went to Anime Iowa in 2011, but didn't really cosplay until Kumoricon 2014 after I moved

I keep all of my badges as well
>grandma took me to first con
>she had more fun than I did
>she be handicapped
>sat in lobby
>she had a blast watching the 'costumers' walk around
>she always asked for me to mail her pics of me at cons after I moved across the country
>she passed away a few years back
>still have her badge hanging in my room

Thanks Grandma
>>
If I'm right Phoenix Cactus Comicon in 2007 was my first con. Went to see Vic Micnanang, my 14 year old dreams were crushed when I found out he was a massive asshole.

I've probably been to over 20 conventions in since, but the only out of state con I've been to is SDCC, hoping to go to PMX this year and change that trend.
>>
>>8721321
i'm the anon upthread who no longer goes to cons, i met vic whatever at my first con too, i somehow still have his autograph even though i stopped watching anime years ago
weirdly enough i lost ellen mclain's autograph which i got at magfest 2012 and by then i cared a lot more about valve games than anime
>>
>>8721326
Funny thing is I never really met him, I was next in line for his signing and he ducked out 15 minutes early. Right in front of me.
>still bitter
>>
>>8721337
he signed my fullmetal alchemist book (i can't remember what it was called but it wasn't an issue of the manga, it was like one of those official guide things)
it's sitting in my shame box back home
i got ellen mclain and her husband (whose name i can't remember but he voices the sniper in tf2) to sign my con badge which i somehow lost
that's literally the only con badge i've ever lost
>>
>When did you go to your first convention? Which con was it and how old were you?
Anime Revolution in 2006. I was 15. Vic The Dick was at my first con too.

>How many cons have you been to since?
Around 30? I feel old now, but I still have fun dressing up and hanging out with friends. It's also an excuse to travel. I'm excited to go to Comiket again.
>>
>first convention
Anime North 2011, i was 16 at the time. Went to the Zelda meetup/photoshoot in babby's first cosplay, complete with cardboard sword, duct tape shield.
Only been to about 7 cons since then, but hoping to branch out and try out a few others in the next few years.
>>
Anime North 2006, since I was in middle school at the time I could only go for one day with a friend, but I had a blast.
Been going almost consistently every year since then, minus 2008 for a family emergency.
>>
>first convention
Otakon 2008, I would have been 16.

>how many cons since?
Between 16-20.

I love conventions - I'm kind of addicted to going but due to money restraints I have to pick and choose. I'm always planning for the next one, and I don't even cosplay, just wear lolita/jfash, but I just love them. I was spoiled by Otakon being my first con - it's so huge and overwhelming but that's the feeling I love (although small cons can be really fun too).I really want to make it to Anime Expo one day.

I also keep all my badges if I can.
>>
>First con
Anime North 2005.

>Age at first con

>How many cons since then
from 2005 to 2012 every anime north.
Missed 2012, then back the year after till now.
Otakuthon - 1
FanExpo - 4
MTAC - 4
DTAC - 2

Haven't gone to an American con yet.
Conventions are starting to get boring however....
>>
>First con
Metrocon 2008

>Latest con
Nerdacon 2015

Been to about 13 cons total though half of that is the same con.

>tfw you've been going to Kami-Con since year one.
I still have the string they used on year one. It's the biggest one in my state and I tend to bring my cosplay A game there.
>>
>>8721472
I started going to kami-con in their 3rd year and have been going every year since. I was kinda disappointed last year since there wasn't much interactivity (step counter and trading cards were great, but nothing last year??), but it is still my favorite convention.
I'll actually have an artist alley table there next year!
>>
>When did you go to your first convention? Which con was it and how old were you?
supavnova brisbane 2010, i was 15. it was eye opening for me, i'd always watched anime, but never knew people cosplayed

4 since then, and volunteering at brisnova next week
>>
>>8721518
Yeah, I like the interactivity as well. I did enjoy being a human checker piece this year. I was crowned a king and then killed.

What you selling? I may have to drop by.
>>
File: SDC10078.jpg (303 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
SDC10078.jpg
303 KB, 2048x1536
>First con
MCM Expo 2011
>Last con
Anime North 2015

Been to quite a lot of cons since.

Unfortunately I started off on the Homestuck foot, but I have to admit, it's really good making friends and such from the get-go, even with cancerous fanbases. I'm not with it any more, but it introduced me the whole thing very positively.

Pic related, the usual property damage.
>>
>First con
Anime Central 2007. Was 16 when it happened.

>How many
5 unique cons. Touhoucon was the most recent back in September.

Been going to ACen ever since that first time and cosplayed since 2011. In some years I went to others and Touhoucon was the first time I've traveled out of state for one.
>>
File: AA table.jpg (369 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
AA table.jpg
369 KB, 1280x720
>>8721547
I'll be selling mostly furry cosplay accessories like cat/fox/wolf tails and years. I'll also have light up tails that people can wear for the rave. Pic related

>>8721548
That reminds me of Hama-con last year.. They had 2 tables in a corner of a room with lots of crayons and coloring books.
Literally the worst idea that any con has ever had.
You can only imagine all the things teenagers colored and drew in those coloring books....
Oh, and they also started drawing on the tables, which was great.
>>
AnimeNEXT 2003, I was 13.

20. I was only doing one con a year for quite a long time. Next year I'm aiming for 3 + a new one that I'm helping start up.
>>
OniCon 2010, I was 17. Been to 9 cons since. College held me back from going to more.
>>
>first con
Mcm expo oct 2006, I was 16

>last con
Mcm expo oct 2015

I think I've averaged 3-4 cons a year since so 25-30 cons. It's a surprising amount when I think about it. If I took out expos on grounds of how shitty they are it would halve though, even though I haven't been to many recently.
>>
File: AV200401.jpg (405 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
AV200401.jpg
405 KB, 1000x1333
>2003 Age 13 SDCC
>2004 Anime Vegas
>2005 & 2007 Anime Vegas, Otakon
>2008 - 2010 Anime Vegas
>2011 - 2015 Sakuracon

2005 was my first year cosplaying.

>Picture is not me
I just browed my old photos and found a folder of the first Anime Vegas. Hella nostalgic! Cherry picked this one, cause it is honestly one of the better ones.
>>
>>8721312
>the evolution of this names on these badges
>Inuyasha
>INUYASHA
>>
>First Convention?
FanimeCon 2007
I was 16

>How many have you been to since?
FanimeCon - 9 [Almost]
KrakenCon - 1
Anime Expo - 1 [2015. This really fucking sucked. I don't plan to ever go back. Why is this convention popular?]
>>
File: IMG_1252.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1252.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>First Convention?
Blizcon 2015
I was 30 >.>
>>
>first con
SMASH 2011. It was alright, my mum nearly got attacked by fangirls because she wore a red coat and her blonde hair back in a ponytail.
>last con
Oz ComicCon Sydney. Pretty good, my second time cosplaying.
>>
>first convention
Emerald City ComicCon 2013, I was 22. My dad asked me if I wanted to go with him that weekend with his friend to buy/look at stuff. I got a picture with a qt Captain America.

Including ECCC, 3. 2 were in Guam and one of them I went to was this past weekend. Both Guam cons were terrible and cringey, but I only go to them to show off my outfits, get pictures taken, and hang out with friends, maybe buy something.

I really want to go back home to Seattle so I can go to ECCC again (this time in lolita) and possibly Sakuracon (I've never been to that one before).
>>
>First convention
ChibiPa 2005 (I was 13.)

>Conventions since then
Anime Supercon, Yasumicon, JAcon, Metrocon, AFO, Megacon, and now A-kon

I went to a bunch of local cons in middle school/high school, but now I only go to A-kon. I accidentally ditched the FL scene. I hope to go to a Comic-Con at some point. That'd be neat.
>>
File: DSC_8815.jpg (417 KB, 732x1100) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8815.jpg
417 KB, 732x1100
>First convention
Stripolis

>First BIG convention (for Serbia)
Beokon last weekend

Both in this year, and im 30.

I had such a blast, and it was a realy big adventure. Also, Beokon last weekend was the largest cosplay event held with most cosplayers ever. I'm so proud one of the costumes i made won second place. I just cant fathom why did a guy that did a shody Darth Nihilus won the first place.
>>
>>8722215
Oh crap, i put pic of me first instead of the poster
>>
File: SDC10069.jpg (271 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
SDC10069.jpg
271 KB, 2048x1536
>>8721594
At least it was a table instead of the floor.
>>
>>8721316
I'm sad to hear that she passed away. At least you have good memories of her!
>>
>>8722173
Better late than never.
>>8722176
That's hilarious. Did she know about FMA or did she just think everyone was insane?
>>
My first con was Otakuthon in 2010. I was 13 at the time, and I only went one day. I really liked it so I continued going to that con consistently for the next 5 years, cosplaying from 2011 onward. I attended GAnime twice for Sundays only, and Anime North once (this year). I still have all my badges, because it's nice to keep track.
>>
>first
SDCC 09, I was 23.
Severely late bloomer to cons. My home state didn't get one until the last couple years as far as I know. I also didn't run in weeby enough circles to know about them. I kept hearing about SDCC but I was never in town to go.

>since
I did SDCC annually for the next few years but just began to hate the crowd it was attracting. I've come to prefer the smaller cons now. I've done PMX, ALA, Colossal a couple times, Ohayocon, Kawaii Kon last three years. There's more but I need to check my badges to verify.
>>
>When did you go to your first convention?
>Which con was it and how old were you?
ACen, I was....13? 14?
14, I think. All Midwestern, I really gotta get out of my area!! Any suggestions? Are there any gems besides the big name ones outside the midwest that I'm missing?
>>
>>8721312
Kumoricon, 2007. Holy cow it's been a long time!
14. It was totally overwhelming and I had no idea what to do, so it was kind of a waste.
Ended up going to Sakuracon in 2008 or 2009, never looked back.

I guess around 12 or 13? I've gone to Sakuracon every year, ghosted kumori about 2 or 3 times and attended 2 times.
>>
>First Con
Anime Expo '09, I think I was 16 or something.
>Latest
TouhouCon '15.

Every time I go to a con, it's quite bittersweet. I've made friends, I've enjoyed cosplay, and I've met people whom I admire and respect very much. But I feel it is as if deep inside I'm trying to replicate the emotions of my 'very first,' so to speak. I find that the people I make friends with don't form long lasting relationships. It is more like I ride the wave and there's time of harmony, peace, and we all enjoy each other. Then, it just slowly all fades away and the process repeats again.

When I move on from my current fandom, I wonder if the friends I have today will disappear, to be replaced by new ones, and have those same familiar feelings again...

I'll be doing ALA but I really want to do Fanime next year. I'm considering choosing between AX and AnimeCali.
>>
>>8721312
It was SDCC in 2006 I was 14, and my friend got me to go.
just SDCC but 9 times and going onto my 10th time in a row, hopefully if work allows me.
>>
My first con was Anime Expo in 2007. I went solely to see S.K.I.N perform. Getting the tickets for the concert was stressful as hell, but we managed to get between the 4 and 6th row (memory hazy on which of those rows it was).
But I'm not to biggest con fan in general, so I've only been to 4 cons since. And all of them but one, I went to because I wanted to see the band they brought over perform.
>>
>>8721312
Fellow Huntsvillian?
>>
Ohayocon. I was 21.
Somewhere around 80-90 I've lost count.
>>
Motor City Comic Con 1997

I was 15 at the time. Still attending comic cons at least once a year.
>>
First convention I attended was Ayacon 2011, would have been 19.
Had a great time met some awesome people and had loads of fun, thanks to some really outgoing friends who invited us to the con, we ended up playing Munchkin with Matt Mercer when he had a spare hour, and thanks to being in the right place at the right time, enjoyed a chat with Michael Sinterniklaas while passing around a bottle of vodka outside the campus convenience store.

Then Ayacon 2013, great time again with some more friends. Really nice place, nice atmosphere in general and good stuff going on. Made sure to see the masquerade this year and I'll never forget the tension in the air as the Totoro cosplayer nearly teetered off stage thrice. Started looking at some of the smaller conventions since Aya wasn't running anymore after this.

Next one I went to was Sunnycon 2014, which was nice small convention, we had friends who live up north so it was half to visit them as well as the convention. Had a nice time due to good weather and the convention being on the beach, only issue with the convention was the staff clearly underestimated their trash requirements and there was litter everywhere due to no bins being put out.

Camcon 2014, same reason as Sunnycon it was close to us so northern friends came to visit. Cute little convention but a little bit of a cramped venue. Did feel a little bad for the Maid Cafe performance since it seemed like only a third of the audience knew what a Maid Cafe was, especially when they started playing on the quirky anime tropes, like the Tsundere Maid and Bubbly Maid went by fine, then they started bringing out the Combat-cyborg Maid, the Cat-in-human-form Maid, the Anthromophised magic book butler, ect. ect. That said the Maid Cafe itself was constantly packed so people were interested in that at least.
>>
>>8732498
Sunnycon 2015, Apparently had some issues due to poor logistics, no timetables printed out anywhere or maps to where certain events are going on. Half the stuff was indoors with no indicators anywhere that there even WAS an indoors. Plus the obvious issue of their two biggest guests both dropping made the content of the convention a market stall that was falling to bits due to weather. I even heard that some of the dealers had to write off stock when one of the things collapsed. That said though it was an excuse to visit friends and I still had fun at the beach.

MGMC 2015, same reason as Camcon, for such a small convention I was really impressed with how well this seemed put together. There wasn't a huge amount going on but there was enough to do and see and enjoy, really had a good time.

Planning for Sunny2016, Camcon2016 if they run due to convenience and location. Also Amecon 2016 whut whut, here is hoping they have that Ayacon magic since they got the venue.
>>
Hopefully this is the best thread to ask, so I'll go for it. Out of the California cons, which are the best ones/most worth going to? I live up in the PDX area, and with so few good cons around here, I'd be up for saving money to travel to one in California someday.
>>
First con Anime Boston 2012. I got coffee spilled on me before I even got into the Hynes. I just went into dealers and bought a Miku cosplay covered in ice coffee stains. I did feel like crying but kinda glad no one saw my hot glued mess of a Euphemia
>>
First con was this year Yumacon in October. I am 17. Never been to one before it
>>
>>8734681
SDCC is pretty much in a league of its own, but Fanime is also supposed to be pretty fantastic (never been myself, but several friends go every year) and I also love Wondercon (although its a comic convention, not an anime convention).
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.