[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 102
Old one is in autosage >>8673920
>>
so someone just commissioned me to make this outfit. this is my first commission ever and i have no idea how much to charge. the materials cost around 40 something usd and i can probably knock it out in a few days. any advice or suggestions would be helpful. thanks guys
>>
I want to commish someone to make me the body armor , helmet, and shin guards from Licenseless rider, but I don't know what is a reasonable price. This is my first major cosplay attempt.
>>
>>8702104
If you aren't sure yet of how long exactly it will take, then you probably shouldn't be doing these things, but let's give you the benefit of the doubt.

For now since it looks like it won't take you too long and there's no rush on you, it's better if you try to look at prices of similar cosplayed that are commissioned by people of your skill level, and just judge by that.
In future commissions you might want to raise or lower your price to pay yourself a fair wage etc.
Always ask for the cost of the initial materials to be paid before you start as a deposit.

Most important: Keep a notebook of everything.
It will be useful not only for this commission, but for informing you for future commission timelines. Put in every reciept of your materials etc, and write down every minute you work on your costume.
>>
File: k0px83.jpg (50 KB, 786x960) Image search: [Google]
k0px83.jpg
50 KB, 786x960
do i use a zentai suit with a hidden crotch zipper or two separate pieces for the undersuit?

>zentai
>will have to have crotch-guard device removable
>can keep thigh and hip armour attached together
>neodymium magnets maybe?

>separate
>probably easier to piss
>seam running around the middle of the body
>do i keep the hip parts attached to the thigh and affix them with velcro or something to the top part of the undersuit? or do i have the hip parts attached to the shirt part, the thigh parts attached to the legs, and have hidden straps connecting them together

>these are the hard decisions normies dont have to make
>ree or something

thank you in advance, gulls
>>
>>8701853
So I used to not care about my appearance that much, but now I'd like to start looking a bit better but I have no idea how I'm supposed to start out. Like my hair is always messy few hours after washing it. Damp or windy days make me look like something from horror movie. I have no idea how to properly use makeup too. I literally have no idea how to start.
>>
File: Tharja_(FE13_Artwork).png (403 KB, 418x900) Image search: [Google]
Tharja_(FE13_Artwork).png
403 KB, 418x900
Is there any way to make Tharja's neck piece look good out of fabric? It didn't turn out that great/comfortable when I used worbla
>>
>>8702195
Its hard to give advice without knowing precisely what your hair or skin is like, so you're probably going to have to experiment.

Is your hair curly? Straight? Thick? Thin? Long? Short? How do you want to style it? Do you want it up and out of your face? Do you want it down and smooth? Start deciding how you want to style your hair and then get products based on what you want to do. For example, if you want to have long smooth hair, and your hair is frizzy, you'll want to look into some kind of curl taming products. When you determine what style you want, start looking on youtube for tutorials (or ask in the hair general thread). From the very little you said, it sounds like you probably have fine hair that gets tangled easily, so the easiest thing would be to learn some elegant updos for everyday (there is so much more to life than just ponytails and braids!) If that seems boring, you can get cute hair accessories (personally, my little frizzy front hairs make headbands an absolute necessity for me).

Make-up is very similar. Is your face dry? Oily? Do you have acne? Is your skin sensitive? What do you want your make-up to look like? Natural? Dramatic? Look for products that will suit your needs. At the very least, you'll probably want some moisturizer, foundation, mascara, and lip products to get you started. You may also want to check in at the skin care general and make-up general for specific product recommendations. In general, I'd say that if you have dry skin, stay away from powder-y products and if you have oily skin, you want to look for things that are oil free, but you'll have to try things out and see what works. If something like lipstick seems intimidating, try a tinted lip balm or gloss for a little bit of color.

Most of the gulls on here didn't emerge from the womb totally competent with make-up and hair, so be prepared to practice. Be prepared to make some mistakes.
>>
File: Hitoyoshi.Zenkichi.full.1167910.jpg (141 KB, 680x480) Image search: [Google]
Hitoyoshi.Zenkichi.full.1167910.jpg
141 KB, 680x480
[reposted, didn't know about this help thread]

Hey guys, crossposter here.
I'm gearing up for the next PAX East and decided to rock Zenkichi Hitoyoshi from Medaka Box (I'm blond with blue eyes and a similar build to him, so it should be easy). The uniform is coming out to be a real bitch to plan though, and difficult to find.

I've looked up schoolboy uniforms everywhere, but all that come up are black gyakurans (better for Kumagawa, not Zenkichi). I've also read up on sewing based on civil war patterns (simplicity designs and the like).

I don't know a specific pattern that would actually work, so can anyone drop me a number or any suggestions please?

(I know they sell premade costumes, but they honestly look like ass and really shit quality, so I'd rather just make my own)

(How is that hairstyle even made? It's blond hair on top and black hair below. I have blond hair, is there a way to bleach/dye it or how?)
>>
>>8702306
I've never touched worbla, so forgive me, but it forms as a hard plastic right? I don't think fabric would look right or hold the shape well, maybe try some sort of foam instead?
>>
>>8702306
>>8702755
With stiff enough interfacing it might work. Look into the way historical costumers make collars/ruffs (especially Elizabethan things like pic related) and see if you can use some of their methods.
>>
>>8702751
Use a wig.
>>
For whatever reason my machine isn't sewing.
Everything is threaded correctly, there's thread on the bobbin, and the needle is going through the fabrics.
I don't think the fabric is too think or anything (it's a layer of thin broadcloth and a layer of some double-sided fabric(one side is a very thin pleather type material and the other side is, well I forget what it's called.) because I've managed to sew it before, but there are times were it just doesn't sew or skips sections.

I have no idea what's wrong. Any idea?
>>
>>8702751
I think that the black is just supposed to be shading, but if you want to include it, you can use India ink to dye the under part black. You'll use a paint brush to kind of paint it on there, then wash out the excess dye.
>>
File: swordcolor.jpg (298 KB, 799x808) Image search: [Google]
swordcolor.jpg
298 KB, 799x808
[reposting because no answers]

Any idea on how I should go about painting this?
I've already put down a layer of Plastidip(gray) and then black paint.
I remember someone suggesting I paint it brown and then a a layer of gold on top of it. So i went shopping and I was wondering which of these would work well, I will leaning towards the chestnut color because it's kinda in the middle of not too light and not too dark, but i can't really decide.
I don't need it to look amazing or super mega detailed (just okay to decent) since it's my first big prop, but any suggestions would be nice.

Also, any ideas on how i could possibly mount this thing via a strap or something? this thing is almost 7ft tall and about 15 or so pounds heavy and I don't want to lug it around and have it constantly get in the way of knocking things and other people over. I'd like to be able to put this thing on and off my back quickly.
>>
File: 600px-650Chespin.png (195 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
600px-650Chespin.png
195 KB, 600x600
Sorry if there is a better thread for this already.

Does no one just sell a plain chespin hat? Everything I see has a bit of the head/face on it. I wouldn't thing it'd be something I'd have to get done custom n' shit.
>>
>>8702306
use craft foam instead, it can be bought in that color and it's easy to easy and can bend.
>>
>>8702778
Wouldn't think*
>>
>>8702773
The thread may not be strong enough for the pleather material. I've had this happen when sewing some vinyl. Also it could be that you need a "leather" needle which is triangular and sharp at the point to punch through the pleather more cleanly. It could also be a tension problem. Sewing with pleather, vinyl, etc. requires spme fiddling. You may also want to see if the pleather is catching in the metal parts of your machine .e. the feed dogs or the pressor foot and put some tape over he metal to prevent sticking. If all else fails, take your machine in.
>>
>>8702774
Oh Jesus, I didn't realize you were thinking about dying your own hair. Don't do that. Get a wig.
>>
>>8702791
I got some all purpose needles that can do leather. I'll try messingv with Adobe stuff, but taking it in to a shop would be impossible since it's 50+ years old and is attached to a table.
>>
File: mami.jpg (178 KB, 638x808) Image search: [Google]
mami.jpg
178 KB, 638x808
Mami's socks. Bought a secondhand costume with no socks, new to cosplay. I can't find any socks her exact colour, so which should I go for? I would fold the lace over/take it off those stockings. And I assume the best way of doing these is to lay them flat, use painter's tape/masking tape to make neat lines, and use a fabric paint to add the lighter lines. But will that work on that sheer material? Apologies for noob-ness.
>>
File: souji.png (47 KB, 133x327) Image search: [Google]
souji.png
47 KB, 133x327
>>8702751
See >>8702872

Unanswered questions from the last thread:
>>8696667
>>8698497
>>8674574
>>8676291
>>8677312
Anon never got help I repeat anon never got help here so disregard the comments
>>8678448
Hard edge anon means something that can hurt someone or poke someone like an actual knife or blade so make sure the edges are blunt. If they are not then make it out or something else.
>>8679323
>>8683391
>>8683255
Needs additional help because I never watched this show.
No.8683471â–¶
I never tried Buyee but FromJapan is great if you need a SS. Never used their proxy service. Use Tenso or a FS if you can but since this is an auction FromJapan or something like SuToCorp would be better.
>>8683592
Needs more help
>>8684405
>>8684414
>>8685700
>>8686634
>>8690620
>>8691848
>>8692141
>>8694193
>>8695697
>>
>>8702899
1 looks the most accurate. The other two don't even look close at all.
>>
>>8702174
Go with two pieces all the way. you can pretty much attach them to each other. You will have to make some major alterations to the undersuit anyway
>>
>>8702899
here are some socks and tights painting tutorials
>http://cosplay-vania.blogspot.ca/2012/05/minene-uryuu-diy-tights.html
>http://aurumcosplay.com/homura-cosplay-tutorial/
>>
>>8702900
>EDIT
I never tried Buyee (never used their proxy service before mate) but FromJapan is great. Use Tenso or a FS if you can but since this is an auction FromJapan or something like SuToCorp would be better. There's also another one based in the USA but their fees are pretty high. If you are interested in it let me know.
>>
>>8702133
My roommate does props/armor, he'd charge around ~$250 for something like that if you need it in hurry, probably $150 if not.
>>
>>8702751
>pattern
If you want to venture into making your own, start with a basic men's jacket/blazer pattern and change the button front into a zip-up front. Add the trims and other decorations, widen the lapels (or even just raise the ending point and replace it with a sailor collar-esque lapel).

I'd rate the jacket at intermediate level with some good time spent on doing the detail work if you want accuracy.
>>
File: blouse.jpg (436 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
blouse.jpg
436 KB, 750x750
So I found the perfect blouse for an upcoming coord, however, I don't need the moon and stars on the collars. Has anyone tried to take off the embroidery with a seam ripper? I would gladly do that but I don't want to ruin it.
>>
>>8703344
Link to where you got the blouse, anon? It's super cute!
>>
>>8703344
I think you'd end up with a bunch of holes. The thread is stitched too close and too many times for there to not be damage. Maybe you can ask your SS to contact them as see if they will make it without embroidery for you? Also ditto on >>8703593 that shit is cute as hell, sauce, please.
>>
I've been working on a resin kit for a prop gun and it's as movie accurate as I can get it at my skill level. All that's left is painting it and I don't want to fuck it up. Any tips on how to paint it? Time to wait between coats? Rookie mistakes to avoid?

I will be using spray paint.
>>
>>8703599
>>8703593
this is dream V i think that the one they have is a replica tho.
>>
I have a problem.

I want to get an outfit but I'm not sure if I should go with a commissioner or a Taobao commissioner. The reason why I say this is because the last time I got a commissioner online it was from cosplay.com and it came out like shit. The other time the person scammed me out of 200 dollars.

The taobao one is offering 200 yuan and the commissioner is offering 220 dollars.
>>
>>8703630
>200 yuan
>$32
It's probably going to look like shit unless I'm missing something
>>
So I've never made a costume before, but I wanted to make a Jedi one for The Force Awakens. What kind of material should I be using? For the robe, tunic, obi, and tabards. Other than buying a sewing machine and good scissors, what else would I need that a first timer wouldn't think of?
>>
Hey guys.

i need some help. I cant find bodysuit patterns for womens. Does anybody have some?
>>
>>8703699
Did you look at all?
http://cosplay.mccall.com/bodysuits-pages-5508.php
>>
File: tumblr_myj05tUA3g1rsmg7no1_1280.png (244 KB, 898x735) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_myj05tUA3g1rsmg7no1_1280.png
244 KB, 898x735
Hi guys, I need your help. Someone have an idea of how can I make the suit of Hosa Hunter?
>>
>>8703593
>>8703599
Aw poo, I'll see if they could make it without the embroidery, thank you! If I can't find anything else, I might just have to use this for my coord, I just hope it won't clash too much. I'm wearing Pumpkin Cat's Whales with Bulbous Heads JSK in lavender.

And here's the link! http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=45449210549&spm=2014.12317209.0.0
>>
I'm looking for a high quality white/light grey/light purple lolita wig. I checked Lockshop and GLW but no chance. Does anyone know where can I find such wig? Style is not important but I want it to be highest possible quality.
>>
File: legion_designs_3_by_manapul.jpg (384 KB, 1378x1804) Image search: [Google]
legion_designs_3_by_manapul.jpg
384 KB, 1378x1804
>>8703636
I'm not sure because both are custom outfits. I ordered a custom outfit from Taobao before and it came out pretty good.

https://hxproject.taobao.com/?spm=2013.1.1000126.3.sX7Tql

https://shop60028846.taobao.com/

Are the two shops I was asking about. And BATCosplay Commissions is the person that I thought about getting the outfit for $220.

Trying to do the outfit on the upper left. Not the belt but just the main outfit.

So I'm not sure if I should go with the USA seller or try my luck again with the Chinese ones.
>>
>>8702774
That seems like it might work actually. At the same time, it sounds like it would look very fake in a way.

Like look at (http://sacchanina.deviantart.com/art/Medaka-Zenkichi-KISS-380375633) Zenkiichi's hair color is nearly on point, but is styled atrociously.It just comes off as dark and edgy. Medaka's wig is also complete ass in terms of coloring.

The wig they made for him (pic related) is pretty much on point, but it seems a bit too lustrous for hair (like most wigs I've seen). I'm still going to rack my mind about how to dye my hair for it, just really deadset on it for some reason.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.
>>
>>8703880
I can't see the rest of the suit. You have a clear picture? Like how long is it?
>>
>>8704024
wear a fucking wig you tard
>>
File: 1437231683140.png (19 KB, 152x112) Image search: [Google]
1437231683140.png
19 KB, 152x112
>>8704053
If anon doesn't want to wear a wig let them not wear a wig.

Sometimes it's better to let them be and learn.
>>
>>8704024
You find find wigs that aren't as shiny in pictures. Please wear a wig, you cannot easily get black dye out of blond hair.
>>
>>8704024
Please wear a wig. Of course it looks more "lustrous" than real hair, but anime hair does not look like real hair either.
>>
>>8704024
did you look at >>8702872 → example because there's a way to get a wig better than the DA example you provided and you don't have to dye your own hair.
>>
File: 1023_original.png (315 KB, 1784x1300) Image search: [Google]
1023_original.png
315 KB, 1784x1300
>>8704038
I haven't very clear images... but I need a help only for the chest: It is separated from the rest TwT
>>
>>8702876
Uhg... nothing is working. I'm at this point heavily considering just hot gluing everything, it's' not like people would really notice anyways.
>>
>>8704236
It's not clear what this actually looks like. What do you mean it's separate? Try searching for a character or reference sheet.
>>
File: kira.png (890 KB, 500x742) Image search: [Google]
kira.png
890 KB, 500x742
Hey /cgl/, I've never done a cosplay before. I'm tall, thin, and blond, and I'm not sure what would be easier/more difficult to make a cosplay of. The idea that's been on my mind for a while is Yoshikage Kira, but eventually I'd like to make things like armor from Monster Hunter.

Any other suggestions for costumes would be very helpful, thanks a ton!
>>
>>8704850

There is a suggestions thread on the front page anon. Please use it. >>8698257
>>
>>8704864
Sorry and thank you!
>>
File: Main.png (99 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Main.png
99 KB, 400x400
Would I be able to buy the boots that Little Mac wears anywhere? If not, is there a way to make shoes like that?
>>
>>8704913
Of course you could buy them anon, they're boxing shoes. They're not cheap, though.
>>
>>8704922
Would modifying a pair of shoes be any cheaper?
>>
>>8702900
Bless you, anon.
>>
>>8703941
have you checked lockshop
>>
>>8705076
Don't give them such pointless advice anon, there are tons of people still waiting on their wigs from Lockshop.
>>
>>8705093
>Lockshop.
What, I didn't know that, is there a problem with Lockshop?
>>
>>8705076
>>8705093
They don't have any white wig on Lockshop anyways.
>>
File: bison 4v5.jpg (34 KB, 344x247) Image search: [Google]
bison 4v5.jpg
34 KB, 344x247
I'm bad at armor crafting with foams. Does anyone know (through experience or reliable source) an honest armor crafter that uses EVA foam? Trying to get simple things done like the armor pieces of M. Bison's costume (pic related)
>>
File: opm.jpg (57 KB, 236x244) Image search: [Google]
opm.jpg
57 KB, 236x244
Can anyone recommend from where to buy a bald cap? I've looked into making one myself but I'd rather not go that route unless I really have to. I'm perfectly aware and fine with covering a bald cap in makeup and blending and whatnot to make it look better, once I have one. Has anyone used one and have any tips or tricks they could share?
>>
File: 1446578646749.jpg (2 MB, 3513x1952) Image search: [Google]
1446578646749.jpg
2 MB, 3513x1952
In a similar vein, does anyone have recommendations for what to make Tatsumaki's dress out of?
>>
>>8706130
Mid-heavyweight cotton-spandex mix, maybe? With some interfacing for the collar.
>>
File: 1628.jpg (49 KB, 471x319) Image search: [Google]
1628.jpg
49 KB, 471x319
So I'm thinking its time I get myself a new sewing machine. Any one got any suggestions? I got a pfaff that I inherited from my aunt thats meant for embroidery and quilting, but I dont use even a fourth of it's settings and really dont know what other brands are good.
>>
As someone who doesn't have any skills to make my own costume, what is the best place to get a commission from?
>>
>>8706817
I personally use cosplayholic for commissions and such. the costumes end up pretty good and fit well for the most part. Only downside is depending on what you want it can be expensive.
>>
>>8704923
Not same anon. But maybe you could try modifying a pair of knee high black Converses?
>>
Is it a major faux pas to ask for a price reduction on LaceMarket? Looking to ask a girl to drop a dress 8%, the listing is ending really soon and nobody's bid on it yet.
>>
>>8706341
I've got a generic Singer and it does a really good job. The one I have struggles with really thick fabric, but if you go slowly its fine.
>>
How much of a help are dress forms? Is it worth a lot in the long run to invest in one?
>>
>>8706894
If you make a lot of clothes they're a godsend, if you only make a few items a year they can get pretty expensive.
>>
File: ADEKAN.png (494 KB, 352x656) Image search: [Google]
ADEKAN.png
494 KB, 352x656
What do you do if you fall in love with a costume out of your skill level? Keep it in mind until you git gud? Attempt it anyway? Attempt a simplified version?

> pic very related
>>
>>8707011
Keep it in mind until you git gud or if you have money and time, attempt it anyway. Attempting it will help you trial and error your way into getting good as long as you have the common sense not to wear your mistakes.
>>
>>8706860
if it says obo or indicates in any other way that she's open to offers, then you're good. just dont word it like "could you do a price reduction for me"(makes you unintentionally sound like an entitled snowflake), i'd lean towards more of a "would you be willing to consider an offer of ___?"
>>
>>8707011
if you desperately want to cosplay it and have the money, you can commission someone to make it for you
>>
>>8703941
doesn't dreamholic have some? no idea about thier quality though
i've seen a few on Ali/taobao too
PS try the lolita general next time, as cosplayers will recommend cosplay wigs to you, not fashion wigs
>>
File: cat-ears.jpg (20 KB, 868x280) Image search: [Google]
cat-ears.jpg
20 KB, 868x280
Are there any decent tutorials out there on how to get the multi colored look like these ears from kitten's playpen have? It would be easy to paint the longer fur on the inside after trimming but I don't want it to look crusty or something like that.
>>
What should I do about Sapphire's lack of pants? White tights is the obvious answer, but I'm not sure that would be sufficient. Is there something better I could do?

Also, what would be a good way to make those enormous ribbons on her hat?
>>
File: dgx.jpg (121 KB, 1200x848) Image search: [Google]
dgx.jpg
121 KB, 1200x848
I'm in the process of making this right now and I'm having some trouble deciding on how I want to do the blade part. My latest attempt at this involved dremeling the basic shape out of a piece of 1/8" transparent yellow acrylic (eventually I'd go back and tint the details orange), but that didn't end up as "laser straight" as I'd like. Would getting something like this laser cut locally be an option maybe? I guess I could go to techshop for a day or something in the worst scenario.
>>
>>8707890
Well, her tunic should cover your butt/crotch, though not much past that. And I would look into white dance tights.
>>
>>8707798
You glue one color fur on the outside
and another color on the inside
>>8707890
White leggings might be good since they look so opaque
>>8707911
Probably. If you live near a university you may be able to use theirs. Just google "(Your city) Maker Space" and see what comes up
>>
>>8707798
these are just cheap generic taobao ears tho.
>>
>>8707890
Non-see-through white tights. Shits takarasuka after all. welovecolour has the shit.

Big ribbon, attatch at base. sheer silk for best flowy'ness, using metal wire might help keep its shape.

You are great for cosplaying this and I wish you all the luck.
>>
>>8707911

http://valkyriestudios.net/cosplay/valeera-sanguinar/making-valeeras-daggers/ This cosplayer made similar blades from a mold and embedded lights in it.
>>
>>8707950

That's pretty cool. I was going to light it with EL tape along the back edge but this would probably look a better if I could get the sculpt right.
>>
>>8706894
Great if you plan on getting a lot of use out of one. It is convenience for pinning muslins and pattern-drafting.
May not be a good idea if your measurements or physique are oddly proportioned or if you have a really short/long torso since the dressform won't replicate it.
>>
File: faraam-armor2.jpg (178 KB, 776x1302) Image search: [Google]
faraam-armor2.jpg
178 KB, 776x1302
I'm a little unsure of what to do for the green fabric
I've done minimal sewing before
Would it be easier to make a one large piece or split them into a shirt and the lower half?
What would probably be the best fabric to use, and the easiest way to do the ornamental details?
>>
File: princess3t.jpg (2 MB, 1650x2250) Image search: [Google]
princess3t.jpg
2 MB, 1650x2250
>>8707921
>>8707938
>>8707944
Thanks, like I said before I wasn't sure about tights but now I'm feeling a little more confident about the idea. I probably won't cosplay this until sometime next year, but I'm really excited about it.

By the way, I was thinking of also making her diguise with the blonde wig she wears to the festival, but since I've only read the manga I don't know what color to make the dress. I feel like it would be pink, but I'd rather know for sure what color it actually is. Pic related, best picture I could find of it on Google.
>>
File: princess_4_full.jpg (761 KB, 704x1031) Image search: [Google]
princess_4_full.jpg
761 KB, 704x1031
>>8708016
A different dress she wears in the disguise. I kind of like this one better, but i would like to know about the color/s for both.
>>
File: Faraam Set.jpg (376 KB, 400x780) Image search: [Google]
Faraam Set.jpg
376 KB, 400x780
>>8708012
>Would it be easier to make a one large piece or split them into a shirt and the lower half?
You've actually three different green colored fabrics going on. There's the waist skirt that is underneath the chain shirt, the neck wrap that is over the breastplate, and the green shirt that is over the chain shirt but underneath the breastplate.

The green shirt looks slightly padded; you can tell because there are vertical columns visible on the arms and peeking out from underneath the breastplate. Choose a fabric with a bit of thickness, or layer some fabrics together to get the thickness.

>the easiest way to do the ornamental details?
The easiest way is probably fabric paint. If you search really hard, you may be able to find lace trim that looks similar and hand sew it on. The hardest but superior way is embroidery, either by hand or machine.
>>
File: Texture.jpg (199 KB, 1096x548) Image search: [Google]
Texture.jpg
199 KB, 1096x548
>>8708012
>What would probably be the best fabric to use

You should examine two things, weight and texture.

The neck wrap has many wrinkles in it that suggest a thin light weight fabric. The green shirt looks padded, substantial; this might be a two layers of linen sewn together with columns of stuffing (hard) or it might be a shirt of wool-like material (easier). The waist skirt looks like the same fabric as the neck wrap, light weight and flowy.

As for texture, you have to study the in-game model and textures closely to figure out what it should be, i.e. the Elite Knight's tabard had a coarse weave on it so I chose to use a polyester tarp-like materials that was intended for outdoor furniture.

If you're lucky enough to have several shades of green available to you after figuring out weight and texture, I strongly suggest that you wait until you complete your armor before choosing your color. You can very, very easily choose the wrong color if you aren't able to compare it the finished pieces of your armor.
>>
I fucked up and bought some bridal satin fabric online but it's too shiny. Is it possible to make it more matte? I read that vinegar treatment might work?
>>
File: zaff01.jpg (11 KB, 185x192) Image search: [Google]
zaff01.jpg
11 KB, 185x192
>>8708020
this
>>
File: tumblr_ndgp2kAFca1qd7kpzo2_400.jpg (106 KB, 349x532) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ndgp2kAFca1qd7kpzo2_400.jpg
106 KB, 349x532
>>8708179
and this
are the two dresses. Hope that helps
>>
>>8708110
I see, thank you
>>8708147
Thank you very much
I'll take a look in game
>>
File: NierJAPANrender.png (739 KB, 822x1427) Image search: [Google]
NierJAPANrender.png
739 KB, 822x1427
I've been looking at a wig on ebay for quite a while now, and it's a chinese wig.
But the seller is located in the US, and has a high number of sells.
When I look at the sales history 99% of them are private, and on the feedback page all of them are private as well.

Is this sketch or am I just being paranoid.

I'm looking for a decent wig for this character, that isn't stupidly expensive (under 15USD) I can't seem to make up my mind on a good one, anyone have any suggestions?
>>
File: Image.jpg (101 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
101 KB, 600x600
Anyone help me with the fabric choices for the waist coat? I can't make up my mind. Also a pattern that would make my life easier, thanks
>>
File: Asui_Tsuyu.jpg (16 KB, 186x178) Image search: [Google]
Asui_Tsuyu.jpg
16 KB, 186x178
I want to do a costume of Tsuyu from My Hero Academia for a con in December but the wig is killing me, I have no idea how to make that hair bow style she has. My friend suggested using wefts and wiring but I have no clue where to start, I've only ever used short wigs for my costumes. Any tips?
>>
>>8708179
>>8708183
So either white or light purple with blue. I'm glad it's not pink, but I'm not terribly crazy over that shade of purple. I'll probably go with the white, that embroidered design on the front looks pretty.

Thanks for the help!
>>
>>8706860
I make offers if I want something and I think it isn't priced right, I don't think it's rude. I pay full price most of the time but some sellers list things for more than they're worth
>>
>>8709576
You would have to either use wefts and wiring or you have to do the Yami Yugioh method to create that. Either way it goes it's going to be time consuming.
>>
File: Samurai.Flamenco.full.1625548.jpg (4 MB, 3300x2280) Image search: [Google]
Samurai.Flamenco.full.1625548.jpg
4 MB, 3300x2280
Does anyone know what outfit this is or where to find material on it? I looked in the SamuFlam doc and couldn't find sketches or details. I wanted to make it but there's little information on it. Should I just give up?
>>
>>8709815
The best I can think of, just going by that pic alone, would be to use wet look stretch vinyl. Make a base suit out of it and then for the segmented raised parts, foam + vinyl.
>>
Hello! I am trying to make a shark blanket, as illustrated. All of it is generally no problem, except... the nose (circled). How can I make it so the nose puffs out?
>>
>>8702306
sew it out of fabric, put plastic boning in the channels. Like a corset for your neck.
>>
>>8707011
Put it on your dream list for later, and find some simpler projects that have similar elements - some buckles, some light armor, so you can practice those skills leading up to your masterpiece.
>>
>>8709815
>>8709848

It looks more organic to me, like the chitin shell of a bug. I would say some kind of bumpy or chalky texture, but then coated with thick lacquer. But I'm not sure how you would get that texture out of foam and such, maybe you take some rough sandpaper to it.
>>
>>8709507
I would use a thick matte satin and interface it, and DEFINITELY PLEASE PUT BONING in it or else it will lose it's shape. I would think of it more of a corset with a halter strap than a waist coat. In that vein, I would start looking at corset patterns you could add the tails to and attach a mock black collar to.
>>
How would I go about making a standard black eye patch I can see through? Some sort of mesh material? I'm doing a cosplay of a character with an eye patch, but I'm blind in my right eye and the character wears their eye patch over the left. I guess I could forego accuracy and wear the eye patch over the other eye but I'm afraid of others thinking I made a mistake...
>>
>>8709815
I can't help, but I love you for wanting to make this anon.
>>
>>8709975

Mesh is the usual way, but you can also just keep it flipped up most of the time and pop it down for pictures.

>>8709854
Upholstery foam, get it in there between the outer fabric and the lining. You could glue it in there, or make a sort of casing for the foam and then tack it in with chain stitches in just a couple places (like shoulder pads) so it can move more freely.
>>
got the winning bid on LM, been almost 48 hours since, haven't heard from the seller. sent two messages, nothing angry, just a 'hello', when do I start to worry?
>>
is there a specific name for this type of jacket? I've tried searching "long button up" and things similar to that but I can't really find anything that matches the length
>>
>>8710479
Well that is because it isn't a jacket, but a very large plaid shirt that had it's sleeves shortened.
>>
I cant figure out how im going to make the bubble wand from Daoko's Girl (and i really want to make it~) so if I could please get some advice it would be much apreciated. [Pic of wand in question]
>>
File: Royal-Guard-Fiora.jpg (138 KB, 660x514) Image search: [Google]
Royal-Guard-Fiora.jpg
138 KB, 660x514
Hey guys, i wanted to step up my cosplay game but i'm stuck on patterning for this costume. Any pointers or patterns (also fabric suggestions would be nice) would be very helpful.
>>
>>8710575
for the floating parts PVC plastic in the spaces would be best imo, or maybe a small wire could do the trick.
>>
>>8702778
>>8702789
halp
>>
Does any one have tips on budgeting a cosplay? I'm about to make my first one and I have no idea how much I should be spending.

For some background, it's a pretty simple cosplay with a couple of bought components that I can't make (like shoes, tights, and the wig). Right now it looks like I'll be spending $115 dollars on it in total. Does that seem like too much? Too little? I don't know a lot about cosplay budgets.
>>
>>8710479
It looks like a maxi shirt. If you google 'plaid maxi shirt' you get a lot of results similar to that one.

The term is fucking stupid but it's what fashion companies are using to describe it nowadays.
>>
>>8710736
This all depends on who and what you're making. You could make a Sailor Moon costume for £200 or £50 all depending on where you buy the stuff or how much you're willing to spend.

For my first (and admittedly sometimes now) I'll buy components to cut corners and money e.g blouses, pants, jackets and modify them as needed. Just do your research and see what comes up best for your budget.
Some advice though - Never, EVER, cut corners on a wig. A bad wig and made an awesome cosplay complete shite. Good Luck hope i helped!
>>
File: Reese.png (45 KB, 137x237) Image search: [Google]
Reese.png
45 KB, 137x237
>>8710745
I'm cosplaying a humanization Reese from Animal Crossing, if that helps.

I already planned to buy a wig from Arda, which seems to be good quality. The wig is actually the most expensive aspect for me. I am also buying shoes, tights, a petticoat, a sweater that I will dye, and a pattern for making an apron.

I'll be making a skirt and the apron by hand but I don't think I have enough skill to make anything else. I did the math and as I said it should cost around $115

Does that sound like a reasonable budget for what I'm doing?
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
Saw this design and knew then what my true calling was.
>tfw you're a shit-tier seamstress
>tfw you're just a shit-tier cosplayer because you go for what's cheap instead of what looks good.
I'm tired of being a Jew, I want to take pride in what I did.
I can't find a CRT/TV set big enough, however I am 7/10 at prop making. I am thinking of making it out of cardboard and eva foam. Should I use something else?
Also I want it to light up inside. Should I even attempt or keep it at faggotry?
Last question: What fabric should I use for the school girl uniform? My fag-senses are telling me to use a cotton t-shirt and just modify that to look like a uniform. Little voice in my head saying that idea is shit.
Pls help gulls.
>>
>>8708570
Anything above $15 is stupidly expensive? I really don't know that you're gonna find anything "decent" at that length for that amount.
>>
>>8710780
>Gutting an actual CRT
Don't do this. Lots of nasty stuff inside. Tubes have lead glass and there's high voltage (~20kv) components inside.
>>
>>8704024
Honestly why do newfags dye their hair instead of get a wig?
Yes, we've all been there, but why??? A 50 dollar wig that takes 10 minutes to put on is better than wasting 70 for a permanent solution.
>>
>>8710822
Because most think of cosplay wigs as party city shit, or crazy expensive salon wigs.
>>
>>8710780
>Also I want it to light up inside. Should I even attempt or keep it at faggotry?

Lighting things up is crazy easy. It's like babby level electronics that grade schoolers can accomplish. There's no reason you can't do it as well.
>>
>>8709848
>>8709959
>>8709989
The problem is there's no episode with this outfit either so I don't know if Masayoshi has a helmet or what. Also there's no full body so I can't make the boots either. These are the only ones I can find not including the opening outfit.

I want to make it so bad but I can't find jack squat about it.
>>
>>8710759
Did you figure in the cost of makeup as well as sealing?
>>
File: Lailah_Cut-in_(ToZ).png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Lailah_Cut-in_(ToZ).png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Want to ask about methods to create the lace cutout patterns on the dress

I sort of look into the option of using a laser cutter, which gives the exact effect without the holes fraying and all. However, I don't want to invest in such an expensive piece of equipment, especially when I am not sure how many times I'll put it into use.

Will love to know any other methods that can create such pattern. & how do I prevent the holes from fraying?
>>
>>8710780
http://tinydangerous.tumblr.com/post/96424989358/tiny-dangerouss-object-head-tutorial-with
Here's a tutorial for the monitor head if you want to use an actual one, but do use one that is empty & without any electrical components. Lighting up inside shouldn't be hard at all, you can even buy pre-made light sources and modify it if you want.

As for using T-shirt for the top, I don't see why not, the basic shape is there and you'll only need to attach a sailor collar.
>>
>>8710941
I already own all of the makeup I need. I'm not going to paint my face white, but rather make it look more human and use my natural skintone and use foundation I already own. Other makeup such as blush, lipstick, and eye makeup I also already have.
>>
>>8711001
>I sort of look into the option of using a laser cutter
>However, I don't want to invest in such an expensive piece of equipment

Go to a makerspace. Laser cutters are basically standard equipment at makerspaces. You get a short term membership at a reasonable price and cut your lace exactly how you want it.
>>
>>8710736
~$100 sounds reasonable if you're doing a pretty straightforward costume, like a school uniform or putting together something with some thrift store parts. Think of it this way, you'll have to set aside $20 + $20 for the wig and shoes at the very least if you're buying cheap and simple ones that you don't need to modify much out of the box, so that's already $40 gone. Each article of thrift clothing might be $5-$20 and small accessories might be $5 here and there. Fabric and notions for each part might be $5-$20 as well. If you're starting out, you might not have a lot of the basic items just lying around, like base shirts, sewing notions, or good hairspray for the wig, so that is another bundle of $2-$10 gone per item needed.

For comparison, my first costume was a school uniform and it cost me $120, because I didn't know how to coupon and I bought more fabric than I needed. I thrifted some accessories, like belts and shoes. I didn't even use a wig. Nowadays I've gotten far better at budgeting and I have plenty of parts left over from old cosplays, so a similar costume would only cost around $35 now (including making the uniform from scratch).
>>
File: thisguyisaqt.png (900 KB, 628x892) Image search: [Google]
thisguyisaqt.png
900 KB, 628x892
>>8710940
Masayoshi is my husbando, so I'm more than happy to help more cosplays of him be made. The costume you're planning on resembles that space battle costume, but I think I've only seen exact versions of it in official merch?
>>
File: CPZxcnEUsAQ1leI.jpg (20 KB, 540x338) Image search: [Google]
CPZxcnEUsAQ1leI.jpg
20 KB, 540x338
Any advice on how I should make Mettaton Neo's shoulder pieces? Thinking of making from stacked EVA foam,but I'm sure theres an easier method than that.
>>
>>8711637
If you plan on going anywhere with that, don't. Just make them smaller. The minor inaccuracy is a sacrifice well worth the convenience of everyone else.
>>
>>8701853
I used bhiner for the first time (I've never ordered from taobao before), and everything went smoothly, the money was taken out and everything, but, it isn't showing up under orders?

Am I missing something? Or is it just a bit slow? I just don't want to screw this up at all
>>
>>8711686
Did you try contacting them first or asking in the Taobao thread?
>>
>>8712314
I'm about to send them an email right now
I'm just super nervous about fucking this up
>>
File: Famitsu-Scan-1.jpg (1 MB, 1244x1540) Image search: [Google]
Famitsu-Scan-1.jpg
1 MB, 1244x1540
The end of the sleeves seem to be a big detail. Would it just be better to sew on the sleeves to a modified dress shirt? If so what method would you use to make sure it doesn't look "pasted on"
>>
>>8712348
Anon you can buy that shirt in any store. You need links?
>>
>>8712348
>Literally worst character
Feels like I'm in /pg/
>>
>>8712352
I had no idea they made dress shirts like that. Every time I searched I just get pirate shirts. Links would be great
>>
>>8712379
I've never seen this marie color swap before
>>
>>8711589
Thanks a lot anon. The problem I'm having is that I don't know what the boots look like. I might see if I can combine the space one with this.
>>
Anyone have some good, simple patterns for a long-sleeved bodysuit (one or two pieces, either works)? I'm going to try and sew my own costume rather than modifying something store-bought but I have zero fucking experience with fabric patterns, I've only ever eyeballed things since I've only ever done light sewing.
>>
>>8712596
To add onto this, I'd really really prefer something that's not supposed to be skintight. I have this dumb thing about form-fitting clothes so it's going to be a liiitle big.
>>
>>8712348
To avoid that pasted look, match fabrics (or at least find the closest you can). Trim the sleeves to the needed length + seam allowance if you start with a long-sleeved shirt. Serge or finish the raw hem if possible and sew the new billowy cuffs on. Finish the seams and press.
>>
>>8701853
I wasn't sure if to post this in /adv/ or not but since its cosplay related I thought it better I post here rather than run the risk of being referred to here anyway.

I have a con to go to this weekend starting Friday and although I was hoping to cosplay the Tf2 Spy with my friend who would be a Payday Clown masked burgler, he can't make it.

However a thought came to me to consider cosplaying as pic related: Hong Kong in Hetalia for those who don't know him.

I actually think I fit the profile alright. I'm 5'3, skinny, Asian and have a generally similar hairtyle.

The issue is the equipment. I have some old Manderin jackets lying around (not red though) but the trousers, lack of shoes and so on are making me second guess. I am also unsure as I'm in my mid twenties.

What is /cgl/'s thoughts? Should I wait next year where I'm actually organized and prepared or go for broke?
>>
>>8712655
Questions.
>Do you have a wig?
>Do you live near a Chinatown to get the shoes and maybe the pants?
>Do you have the pants
If you can answer yes to most or all of them do it. If you can answer no to most of these don't do it.
>>
File: Archer_Fate_Stay_Night.jpg (3 MB, 4336x4500) Image search: [Google]
Archer_Fate_Stay_Night.jpg
3 MB, 4336x4500
Hey guys, I'm looking into a cosplay for a friend and I'm torn on how to do Archer's chestplate. I'm not sure what material it's made out. It looks like a chestplate, but it seems to move with him and is skin tight. Any advice?
>>
>>8712813

iirc canonically it's made out of some kind of carbon fiber weave, though that's not a realistic option for cosplay.
>>
Alright, is there a way to either use fabric paint on or sew stripes onto a lycra bodysuit?
>>
>>8713697
You can do either one. With fabric paint, you'll need to make sure you put something in between the layers of fabric so the paint doesn't bleed through, and if you sew stripes you'll need to make sure you get a material that has the same kind of stretch.
>>
File: 31IQXMwEK0L._SY400_.jpg (9 KB, 331x400) Image search: [Google]
31IQXMwEK0L._SY400_.jpg
9 KB, 331x400
A little blurry, but do you think a wetsuit vest might work? It's close to the texture and thickness, just not sure if it'll be flexible enough or if fabric paint will work.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 400x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 400x499
How would you guys approach making the wheel? I have an idea on how to make it easy to take on and off but Im drawing a blank on the wheel itself
>>
>>8713877
You could try using EVA foam with a base.
>>
where can I get this type of busts/mannequins? Maybe Taobao?
>>
Any advice/suggestions on good places to buy kigurumi online?
>>
>>8714701

If you're just looking for a head to put a wig on they do sell those at Michaels for a few dollars
>>
>>8714848
I'm looking for that type - cute with acrylic (?) eyes.
>>
File: zc9vTSL.png (128 KB, 324x734) Image search: [Google]
zc9vTSL.png
128 KB, 324x734
Somewhat new to cosplay, and I'm wondering what people who aren't looking for perfect accuracy do to spice up pretty bland costumes. Like for example video game characters from the 80s/90s where their entire costume is derived from 256 pixels and 8 colors. Pic not what I have in mind, but pretty much sums up what I'm talking about.
>>
>>8715574
It depends on the costume.

For a lot of female characters, people will spice things up by adding extra embellishments like rhinestones, beads, or fancy embroidery. I can think of a lot of Disney cosplayers who do this.

If they're cosplaying a character who is not human, they might add extra things with prosthetics and makeup to make the design pop more. I hate to cite it as an example, but a lot of Homestuck cosplayers will add extra things through makeup.

And a lot of people also try to make stuff look as realistic and historically accurate as possible. Like if you're going to cosplay a character from the 18th century, you would make sure to make all the details (like armor or dress style) historically accurate. Or if you're cosplaying something like the picture you posted, you'd use the most realistic fabrics and materials for it and use a realistically colored wig or something.

It's kind of hard to explain, I hope I got a few ideas across.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 320x240
How the Heck do I style 90s anime wig without it looking heavy, greasy or chunky.
>>
So I plan to make this before the fans go full blown tismo. Now my plan is to somehow get this model and to make a paperkura or some kind of build-able model of it. Once having a that tangible Armour to work with I am going to upscale the head to work as a mask and such. I then plan to 3d print of physically make a test of the Armour so I can make a mold and then make it like you would a storm trooper outfit and such. Is this plan a good idea or should I post it to >>>>/trash/
>>
Any cons worth going to in Iowa?
>>
>>8715574
>Like for example video game characters from the 80s/90s where their entire costume is derived from 256 pixels and 8 colors
Sometimes people go by the official art instead, since it will usually have more details to the character's clothing. Since that's an FF character they probably have some art by Amano.
>>
File: latesth.jpg (175 KB, 680x585) Image search: [Google]
latesth.jpg
175 KB, 680x585
I can't find a blazer for Hana anywhere and I'm not sure to trust ebay or ready made cosplays. I was planning on making it by myself but I couldn't find a perfect fabric for it either.

Is ebay Prison School cosplay outfits good? Or somewhere else better? I have no experience on those.
>>
>>8716925
>I can't find a blazer for Hana anywhere
really?
https://lookastic.com/women/tan-blazer
Can't find it anywhere?
>>
>>8716929
Which ships to Finland I may add. Thought it wasn't so important since my question was for readymade cosplays and ebay...
>>
>>8716748
Seems like you're really over complicating it anon. There are few Papyrus that are actually decent and the ones that use foam armor turn out pretty good for what it needs to be. i think doing that for the helemt/mask would work out,but would easier to just to sculpt it instead.
>>
>>8715905
A wig like that would be slightly easy/medium if you know how to layer/spike.

>>8716901
http://animecons.com/ Did you check there first?
>>
File: IMG_20151114_121457.jpg (207 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151114_121457.jpg
207 KB, 960x1280
Hello I am doing my very first cosplay build and it is a helmet. I think I am doing OK for a first run but I can't seem to figure out what to use to keep the lower jaw portion attached the the helmet. I want it to have a bit of a firm hinge so I can slightly adjust it as needed.

Is there a type of tool I can use for this? I was thing of using a screw and a bolt to keep it in place.

Any assistance would be helpful
>>
File: 1446212063918.png (153 KB, 253x252) Image search: [Google]
1446212063918.png
153 KB, 253x252
I'm not sure if this is the right place but how would I put on makeup and do male contouring? After or before applying the tattoo on the sides of my face?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/asej/character/itsuki.html
>>
File: pokemondesigns.jpg (272 KB, 1024x561) Image search: [Google]
pokemondesigns.jpg
272 KB, 1024x561
>>8701853
I'm doing some pokémon cosplays with my boyfriend but I'm not sure if the designs we made are recognizeable enough, can anyone give me some input?

Also don't mind the shitty shoes on the first design, I can't draw boots...
>>
>>8718677
I'm not even sure what pokemon they are suppose to be. You couldn't do a trainer or something more recognizable?
>>
File: 4567890098765678.png (103 KB, 700x1254) Image search: [Google]
4567890098765678.png
103 KB, 700x1254
I'm doing a medical cosplay soon and I want to make a fairly large needle (like pic attached), but I'm not sure what material would be best to make it. I would like it to be pretty light weight but i understand with something larger it might not be possible.
>>
So does anyone have experience with latex stockings or latex clothing in general?
I ordered a pair and want to know how to take care of them so they don't break, also got talcum powder and spray for shinyness.
Googled some things but to me it looks like they can rip easily if handled without much care.
>>
I need to buy a binder and I'm really nervous about it. I've never worn one before, and I'm kind of a chubby chan and I'm worried about it hurting my boobs or cutting into me.
>>
>>8719168
Just make sure all your measurements are correct and when you order one make sure it's for your size.
>>
>>8719168
Fuck.
In the form of a question. Any hints, tips on buying a binder for the first time.
>>
>>8719145
Try asking that in >>/diy/ maybe.
Other than that i can imagine using clear acrylic tubes, they are quite small compared to what you want but are already round in shape.
There is also transparent acrylic glass mats which are usually very large in size and are available in furniture stores, used to be put o the table for example, make sure you get a flexible one and roll it up to a huge hollow tube . you could also use the rest of the material for the front part.
the inside could be made with white plastic out of the home depot?
Good luck on that project and post results.
>>
>>8719168
>>8719177
Buy one for your size. Binders are surprisingly comfortable, but that may also be because my boobs aren't super big. It might hinder your breathing if you're doing physical activity, but you shouldn't be out of breath from just standing around. Adjust it during the day if necessary. Depending on the type of binder, you might want to wear a thin tank or undershirt to keep his nipples from chafing.
>>
>>8719145
You can make the stopper part out of foam or EVA. Not sure about the needle or clear glass without it being pointy.
>>
>>8719168
>Do measurements
>Make sure you do exact measurements
>Don't wear it all day
>If it doesn't fit ask for a refund
>Don't go cheap
>>
File: 1435094380914.gif (2 MB, 202x200) Image search: [Google]
1435094380914.gif
2 MB, 202x200
I have a problem. I have some cosplays I want to do but I don't know which ones to pick out. I wanted to do either Dai Gyakuten's mc, Naoto from Blazblue, Masayoshi Hazama, or UNIB. I can only do two and I can't make up my mind.

How do you anons pick out cosplay? Based on looks or something else?
>>
>>8719932
> series/character I like
> how close I look like the character
> BUDGET
> my skill level
>>
This isn't really for a cosplay, but I didn't know if this was really a /diy/ question. I'm covering some plywood with colored duct tape to create a greenscreen. It works amazingly, except a tiny section of the board has reflections of my monitor and then there is a big bright spot avoiding the chroma key. Is there anything I can do to make the duct tape a bit less shiny, even if its in just one spot?
>>
>>8720018
matte green spraypaint. don't use anything glossy or it makes it harder for the chroma to read.
>>
>>8720127
Thank you anon
>>
>>8719141
We were planning trainers for a different con but thought a pokémon and their evolution would be cute as a couple cosplay. It's supposed to be Carvanha and Sharpedo but I know Carvanha isn't as well known
>>
>>8717620
The tattoo should go on top of everything else.
>>
Gulls how do I make a mask for my husband.
>>
File: image.jpg (385 KB, 1110x1565) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
385 KB, 1110x1565
Source for this art?
>>
File: niersleeve.jpg (48 KB, 258x480) Image search: [Google]
niersleeve.jpg
48 KB, 258x480
Anyone know how I can tie the ribbons/strings on this sleeve?
>>
>>8721134
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/suan-cat/

props to you for getting me to wasty my time to google her name THAT IS LITERALLY IN THE PHOTO YOU POSTED
>>
>>8720852
check the undertale threads
>>
>>8721143
probably like this, but tighter?
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm
>>
>>8721205
Yeah sorry I just realized after I posted this I had been typing saun-cat sigh.
>>
File: 20150719_233446.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150719_233446.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>8702306
I tried making mine out of foam but ended up using gold fabric with interfacing on the back. It got a couple wrinkles when worn but with the long wig it's not obvious.
Good luck
>>
>>8718677
Carvanha could use a jagged fin - like skirt to make it seem more like a fish. Scaly makeup isn't really necessary either since the Pokemon doesn't look scaly. Sharpedo is pretty recognizable. You could probably add something like a shark tooth pendant.
>>
>>8719989
The problem is I like all of those series and I don't look close to any character that I know of.
>>
File: sailor suit - Copy.jpg (52 KB, 755x429) Image search: [Google]
sailor suit - Copy.jpg
52 KB, 755x429
I have a problem relating to pleated skirts I have about a 12-inch difference between my waist and hip measurements so all my pleated skirts look weird or never sit flat. I usually just do the regular fold over method but is this asymmetrical pattern better for people like me?
>>
File: tumblr_m2jkk4CiHL1rtubzxo1_1280.jpg (75 KB, 1000x620) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m2jkk4CiHL1rtubzxo1_1280.jpg
75 KB, 1000x620
I've never done anything full body like this before. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to go about this? What material to use? Should I use paint or color blocking for the red?
>>
I'm making pic related in white. I have the white tie but I'm a bit unsure about what would be the best method to do the logo. Fabric paint? Embroidery? Screen printing would probably yield the best results but it seems like it's a ton of effort for such a small detail...
>>
Is it possible/common/practical to apprentice under someone who crafts cosplay?
Then again, maybe my real obstacles are personal issues. I don't think I lack passion, but I'm crippled by fear. I'm dreaming of apprenticeship being some kind of support, but I wonder if that would be enough to overcome a fear of failure when working on someone else's project.

>>8702777
A minor tip: more subtle coloring. It needs some green to that gold, at least if that picture is at all color-accurate.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 640x427
Dolluxe used to sell these really nice lashes that I used for one of my cosplays but also daily ware. They discontinued them and I haven't been able to find anything like them that makes me as happy.

Does anyone know a brand that has eyelashes just like this? Or anywhere that I could possibly buy these exact lashes from again? Idk if it's over priced, I'm on my last pair and I'm kind of desperate.
>>
Base wig for Daisy (Mario)?

I would like to do the bangs like on the 3d model. They're kinda heavy and cover her forehead.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>8722198
No, because most people do this for fun. Make some friends and get them to help you learn how to do new techniques, or better yet, practice and learn to do them yourself.
>>
What's this style of parasol called?
>>
File: IMG_1125.jpg (872 KB, 4928x3280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1125.jpg
872 KB, 4928x3280
What material should I use to make this cape? It's the Daenerys Astapor cape for anyone wondering.
>>
File: daenerys.jpg (43 KB, 590x580) Image search: [Google]
daenerys.jpg
43 KB, 590x580
>>8723361
Another photo
>>
>>8721431
I drew the scales on because real piranhas have scales so it was sorta inspired from that but I see your point.
I tried drawing a skirt thing but it turned out pretty bad because it didn't fit the overall look imo, also it's a winter con so a skirt will be super cold haha. Thank you for the input though, I appreciate it
>>
>>8723304
Bubble umbrella
>>
>>8724262
Thanks for the response anon! But I am afraid that is not the style I am looking for. They're those parasols from the Victorian era with the really long sticks and really small parasols but with the bubble shape. I've tried searching for victorian parasols but no luck. Wish I knew the exact name for them.
>>
File: 5fq0qo.jpg (21 KB, 259x601) Image search: [Google]
5fq0qo.jpg
21 KB, 259x601
Planning a Trio Vampire Kyun cosplay with friends, and we CANNOT find the proper shoes in our size (10 and or smaller) that look right, we've been searching online and local stores and no luck anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>8724615
The reference pic you posted is kinda tiny, but would these work if you remove the bows?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lotia-Mary-Janes-style-sweet-cute-oxfords-bowknot-round-toe-low-heels-T-strap-/391028570387?hash=item5b0b1e7913:m:mnQdHnSgnyPxG14c2--TRWA
>>
File: wowmycostumelooksshittyupclose.jpg (204 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
wowmycostumelooksshittyupclose.jpg
204 KB, 1280x853
>>8720852
Depends on what look you're trying to get.For mine,pic related, I used EVA foam as the base.Other people have clay modeled theirs which turn out really good if you know what you're doing. If you want to go after something like mine then I have plenty of progress pics that can help,otherwise theres another tutorial on how to clay model it.
>>
>>8722192
I think screen printing would be the least amount of effort! Can you imagine going in there with an itty bitty paint brush painting that skinny-ass font with ZERO room for error? Count me out. Keep the screen and make some extra ties for your pals or put it on a tote bag or t-shirt if you want to get more use out of your screen.

Oh hey wait, how about sun printing? Jacquard makes a product called SolarFast and there's also a product called Inkodye that are similar. I think they work best on natural fabrics. Dharma Trading sells all those dyes and blank, cheap-ish dyeable ties as well. Never used the stuff myself, however. :/
>>
>>8720336
Carvanha's biggest feature is his enormous underbite. You could bring that into the design with an exaggerated cowl neck or super high collar on the jacket. Something inconveniently high and spikey, yanno?
>>
>>8701853
Looked at the sticky but the guides are sort of all out of there and not really what I want so I'm going to ask here now.

I got my first wig and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to style it with. Am I meant to just use hairspray?

Also I have to travel to take it to a con and I don't know if I can Put it back in the ziplock bag it came in if it's been styled.

Thanks
>>
>>8725139
Who are you trying to cosplay anon? Give out more information.
>>
>>8724615
Sorry for no help, but I'd love to see pictures of your completed group cosplay, anon!
>>
File: boy wonder.png (821 KB, 1004x1210) Image search: [Google]
boy wonder.png
821 KB, 1004x1210
>>8725141
>>8725139
Ah, sorry.

I'm cosplaying Manami Sangaku (pic related).
>>
>>8724337

You could just buy a bubble umbrella, cover it with the correct fabric (there are several tutorials on how to do so) it with the correct fabric, and use a pvc pipe to extend the stick. They make smaller sized bubble umbrellas.
>>
>>8724337
Also, look into golf bag umbrellas.
>>
>>8725145
Yeah, hairspray. Look up how to spike a wig. For the ahoge, use wire + glue + gel if you want a dramatic look, or just gel if you're planning on a smaller, more realistic ahoge.
>>
Didn't see a wig thread, so I'll ask here. I'm trying to place an order from Cyperous but can't for the life of me find an international shipping option. I've read online that they can ship outside Japan without you needing a shopping service, but where the fuck is that feature on the website? Am I blind?
>>
File: 1426728409143 Ahoge.jpg (362 KB, 1280x868) Image search: [Google]
1426728409143 Ahoge.jpg
362 KB, 1280x868
>>8725145
Here's an ahoge tutorial anon.

If you are traveling to take it to a con are you taking public transportation or a car? If you are taking a car try to put it on a wig head and carry it with you carefully as a suggestion. It is possible to put it in a baggy styled but just be careful with it. Don't throw it around or anything nuts like that.
>>
>>8725504
>>8725731
Thanks guys. Yeah, I am taking public transportation. Guess I'll fold it in a way that it doesn't ruin the spikes.
>>
File: FFXIV Hyur.jpg (604 KB, 1200x789) Image search: [Google]
FFXIV Hyur.jpg
604 KB, 1200x789
I have some nice old fabric laying around and I was wondering if I could get away with using it for a hyur female? It's got a good weight and thickness to it but...it is shiny, which doesn't really seem to fit the art. Thoughts?
>>
>>8726281
It looks like you have satin and her costume doesn't look super satin-y. Maybe hop into the suggestion thread and see if someone has a good idea for a character who could use white satin?
>>
>>8726400
Heading that way, thank you!
>>
File: 638.jpg (46 KB, 496x700) Image search: [Google]
638.jpg
46 KB, 496x700
How would i go about making a fucking huge wig like this?
>>
>>8726010
For public transport, I suggest you just wear the wig, or pin it to a wighead and cover the wighead with a plastic bag.
>>
File: maid.jpg (31 KB, 636x435) Image search: [Google]
maid.jpg
31 KB, 636x435
where to cop this or similar?
>>
>>8726281
Is it dull on the other side? If so, use that.
>>
>>8726439
Sew multiple wigs together.
>>
>>8726730
AliExpress, "gothic lace lingerie," search and search. it has to be there.
>>
>>8726010
Get a hatbox and a foam wig head. Pin the wig to the head, and hook the elastic adjustment straps to each other underneath the chin. Put it in the hatbox and off you go.
Bring along some extra styling supplies in case it needs some touching up when you arrive.
>>
>>8702778
Commission it.
>>
Ceeg I'm having major trouble with this project. I've built a LOT of armor in the past. However, none of them ever required a bracer that completely connects with itself. They've all left some space on the inner arm. I've tried everything I can think of to edit my patterns and no matter what they still aren't lining up right. Has someone done this before? Just looking for a nudge in the right direction.
>>
>>8726516
>>8726749
I'm traveling five hours on a train the day before the con so it's not really an option to wear it. I'll definitely take styling supplies though so I can adjust it when I get down there.
>>
>>8705920
They sell them at a lot of costume/SFX makeup shops, you could check and see if there's any local ones near you.
>>8712813
It'll be difficult to contour a foam chestplate to an actual body. You could go with something like spandex or another skintight fabric and add the silver details on top. Airbrush shading could help you get the effect you're looking for.
>>
>>8727038
I glued some velcro to the connecting edge. It's not perfect but it works
>>
>>8727192
Oh I know that, I mean lining up the edges evenly on my arm? I'm having trouble editing my patterns! I always end up with it too big in the wrist or too small around my forearm or not lining up straight!
>>
Yo cosplayers, I have a predicament.
I made this hat earlier in the year, but the lining is the wrong color and I want to alter it so it is the same dark red as the roses. Do you have any idea how I could do this without taking my hat apart? It is opaque chiffon material. I also don't want the color to bleed through to the silk upper.
>>
>>8727300
I'm also hoping to dye the lace to a dusty pink color in some way, forgot to mention.
>>
>>8727192
>>8727221
WELP. On my 5th try and 2nd cut on actual foam I got it to fit. It was off by like half a cm. I don't know why I was having so much trouble before but it looks pretty bad ass now!
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 102

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.