[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Meetup Idea Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: 326947-8336-2015-03-30731653.jpg (118 KB, 650x334) Image search: [Google]
326947-8336-2015-03-30731653.jpg
118 KB, 650x334
We haven't had one of these in a long, long time. Post ideas for meetups, about your favourite type of meetup activity, what has worked well in your comm, and what hasn't. Any croquet success stories or pottery meet horrors?

Also, for those who have organised swap meets, how did you put them together? Our comm has never had one, but there's an issue of where to hold one. Should garments be laid out or just brought in bags? What works best with a swap meet?
>>
>>8713809
Disclaimer: I have never run a meet, so in an ideal world where the logistics don't matter, I think these would be thematically cute:
>ice skating meetup
>portrait meetup (in this one the Lolitas pose for a long time and someone professional paints a portrait of the comm together)
>baking meetup (it's messy though)
>ice sculpture meetup
>yacht meetup (sailor theme of course)
>colors meetup (this isn't so much the locale as the concept, each Lolita chooses a different color of the rainbow. Or all one same color)

My favorite realistic type would probably be a meetup at a play or concert performance, or even a movie in a very nice theatre, and then get a meal or tea after.
>>
In my experience, it's pretty easy to book a room at a university or a library. Some place clean with a lot of tables you can use. It's also useful to have a washroom or a nearby reserved room for changing to try on stuff.
If you're selling stuff at a swap meet, I recommend laying your stuff out if you're comfortable with people touching your stuff because people are probably going to ask to take stuff out of the bags and try it on.
Also, bring a stack of post it notes to label your stuff and price them.
>>
IDEAS TO STRENGTHEN LOCAL COMMUNITY
>touring historic sites, mansions, etc.
>attend local fair (craft, food, not barn animal)
>attend or create charity event
>take part in local holiday parade
>attend open university events like poetry readings or lectures on interesting subjects
>sponsor girls' athletics or science programs
>sponsor general children's literacy and art programs

IDEAS FOR FUN WITH THE COMM ITSELF
>style swap sleepover
>crafting/sewing meet
>evening dessert potluck
>make a comm yearbook each year with pics taken from official comm events
>a couples meet where SOs or BFFs get lolita/prince makeovers
>>
>>8713844
>comm yearbook
This sounds so cute!
>>
There's a doll museum in my city and I've thought about hosting a meetup to visit it but I'm not sure if that is an actual good idea or just sounds good because I really want to go
>>
File: doll museum.jpg (72 KB, 450x570) Image search: [Google]
doll museum.jpg
72 KB, 450x570
>>8713962
That sounds awesome anon, I would love to go if I were in your comm. I can't imagine a lolita not wanting to go to that, unless they have a big phobia of creepy dolls or something.

Pic related, Doll Museum JSK, part of a never-ending list of IW things I want but can't fit.
>>
>>8713962
One girl in my comm has a big doll phobia but she's been vocal about it so I wouldn't hesitate to organize it. Might be nice to meet at a cafe after at a specified time so people not wanting to tour the museum can still have a drink or snack with the group.

Myself, I'd like more bar/karaoke type meets, nice high teas and brunches/luncheons as well as some fancier meets. I tire of cheap tea and snack places, free potluck picnics and other meets only designed to keep cost low. I'm don't mind spending a bit and driving a little ways to step out someplace really nice in my frills.

I think it's fine to have both kinds of meets but I don't like it when people bitch about paying a little more or driving a little further if it is only once in a while and for something very nice. Keep quiet, RSVP 'no' and go to the meets you can afford, or budget a little better. Learning to decline an invitation graciously seems to be a lost art these days.
>>
I would want to go to a fancy wine or cocktail bar. I always ask the girls if they fancy a drink afterwards but they usually say no. I'm super awkward and I think a drink or two would act as the social lubricant I need to feel more comfortable with the group.
>>
>>8714083
I'd love to go for cocktails with my comm! We usually suggest it but end up being too tired later in the evening after the meetup.
>>
>>8714083
What about planning brunch with drinks (the usual: mimosas, champagne, bloody marys) or a champagne high tea? Even a wine tasting as a planned event. My comm is lots of fun to drink with and it conveniently screens out the underage.
>>
>>8713844

>sponsor girls' athletics or science programs
>sponsor general children's literacy and art programs

Wat. How is that at all relevant to lolita fashion or lolitas meeting up together.

>style swap sleepover
Sounds super fun but something to do only with the closest friends. Would be a bad idea to just organize for a comm.

I love the potluck idea though. I wish more meets (or at least some meets) had that. I'm so sick of $40 for tea and biscuits. I also dream of organizing a Valentines baking meet but no idea about how to make that logistically happen.
>>
>>8714083
My comm enjoys a drink or two it's lovely. We're blessed in that all but 1-2 members are of age.
>>
>>8714446
>>sponsor girls' athletics or science programs
>>sponsor general children's literacy and art programs
>Wat. How is that at all relevant to lolita fashion or lolitas meeting up together.
bonding through giving back to the comminity. giving lolita some positive exposure. giving comm members something to feel proud about.

unlike working in a soup kitchen or picking up litter, sponsoring local programs is a clean as well as charitable activity. monetary donations would not be a big deal for a luxury hobby group and it would make a great addition to the comm yearbook, or individual resumes.

in that vein,

>sponsor a no-kill shelter
>collect seasonal donations for kids/refugees
>volunteer to read for kids at the library
>>
>>8714512
>volunteer to read for kids at the library
This could either be great or go horribly
>>
>>8714539
imagine storytime with an actual storybook princess

like you could even have puppets act out the story or some shit

or wear coords to act out the story

of course, you could only do it if the library near you does that kind of "kiddie corner" read-aloud thing
>>
File: aatp_danceoftheblackcats.jpg (175 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
aatp_danceoftheblackcats.jpg
175 KB, 640x480
I know it's expensive, but a meet up at the symphony sounds fun. It'd be an excuse to wear music-themed coords.
It'll depend on what the local symphony would be playing, but I think music from baroque, classical, or romantic eras would appeal to lolitas.
>>
>>8714750
Local symphony and orchestra tickets can be surprisingly affordable if they aren't based in a large metro area or famous. Ballet tickets are usually more but also a fun thing to attend if you like that sort of thing and often have a live orchestra playing.
>>
>>8713809
Does Ballroom dancing classes for a meet-up sound good?
>>
>>8714777
I'd like to do it but I'd wear something washable.
>>
>>8714007
>doll phobia
seems pretty odd to be into lolita fashion if you're scared of dolls. i understand we don't try to look like dolls, but a lot of women come up to lolitas intrigued saying "you look like dolls!" in my experience. then again, she doesn't have to attend the doll meet..
>>
>>8714750
That sounds pretty awesome, a lot of people like dressing up when they go to those kind of performances too.
>>
>>8714801
Ikr? I found it unusual too. I have bjd though and I felt bad for her because it's obvious it really does bother her. I just remember to leave any dolls behind or in their case and obvs. would give her a heads up if the group was going to a museum with a featured doll display or such. Things like that don't become a problem if everyone is just up front and speaks sensibly about it.
>>
>>8713962
I think that would be a great idea for even lolitas that own BJDs (like myself) Are we in the same comm cause where I live has a doll museum too
>>
Now I'm wondering how many Lolitas have bjd and if it might be fun to meet up at one of the larger regional conventions for Lolita/doll meet.
>>
>>8714875
It's possible? I'm in the Ohio comm, I know a bunch of us frequent CGL
>>8714901
I think that would be fun! Bonus points if you twin with your doll like some of the old school magazine shoots
>>
>>8714914
I'm CO comm, thought it was a shot.
>>
I want to try a twinning meet but obvs not all members of the comm can participate. How can I help them not feel excluded? Should it just be a private meet?
>>
>>8718112
My comm has an annual twinning meet and people can twin in terms of themes as well, like polkadots, hearts, black/white, pink/white, etc. People who didn't have a twin also just wore either all black or all white and formed a bit group, which turned out to be really popular as well.
>>
>>8718112
twin meets i've been to have had print twinning and color twinning too(so like different print/style same color/theme) and the like to try to make it more inclusive.
>>
>>8718125
>>8718126
Ooh, these are great ideas. Thanks for the help!
>>
>>8714750
I use to go to the local volunteer symphony with my dad all the time, they were free with the option of donating a little at the end.
I'd love this but I feel like there might be loud ADHD weebs who would disturb the old people.
>also tfw you can never find this print in the right cut and color

>>8714777
I wish there could be meets that were actual pride and prejudice-style balls with dancing and live bands. But that would be expensive and awkward. I'm sure they do it in historical reenactment groups, but eh.
>>
>>8718222
>I wish there could be meets that were actual pride and prejudice-style balls with dancing and live bands.
this would be great. maybe do a fundraiser to cover costs, and then split the difference between funds raised and funds needed for the ticket price.
>>
>>8724624
Eh, but not a lot of people do ballroom dancing, and it might be awkward couple wise. If it was only girls in lolita, people would eventually get over the awkwardness, but if there were non-lolita significant others mixed in, it might be weird. You'd also need like at least 30 people, and my comm's too small and inactive for that.
>>
How about occult-themed meets? I guess some would be scared or paranoid, but I would love to do a seance in lolita, or even just go as a group to have our palms read or something. Visiting haunted locales (like the Whaley House in San Diego) in lolita might be fun too.

Something else that might be cool for a photoshoot/meet/mini-vacation would be to rent out a mountain cabin for a day/night (or a whole weekend) and take photos in nature. This would be really fun to do in winter so you have a ton of great snowy photo ops.
>>
>>8724659

>I guess some would be scared or paranoid

You're forgetting the people who are fed up with that bullshit.

There's always someone in a group of people who takes it too seriously. This is why I usually avoid these things.

>photoshoot/meet/mini-vacation

Cabin would be cool, but it would have to be with people I get along with really well.
>>
>>8718222
I think the closest you'd get to a ball would be like one of those "ceroc dance class with time to practice after" things. Actual ballroom is a lot harder to learn and dance correctly, but ceroc is accessible and easy in comparison.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.