[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Saudi Opportunity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 605x454) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 605x454
I have an opportunity to work in Saudi Arabia for 18 months, on a secure base near Mecca. The pay is tax free, living costs are free and I would earn around 80,000 GBP for a basic project control role. My company will fly friends and colleagues to Dubai to visit every few months.

However, my girlfriend of 6 years will leave me if I take it.

The industry is engineering and I would be in a low tier management role.

What would you do?
>>
>>1388841
Seems to me you have bigger problems than your future career. If your girlfriend won't support you, dump her. This stupid "if you go ill leavv you you motherfucker" attitude is ungrateful and if you let force your decision she will probably to do it down the road as well.
>>
Are you aware that working in Saudi is often a career ender? It's a strange place in that you need good qualifications to work there, but the actual work you'll be doing is less than what you're qualified to do.

I'd give Saudi a big, fat pass UNLESS you're needing to save a wad of cash.
>>
>>1388857

Consider it the other way around would you let your gf go work in a foreign country for 18 months?
>>
>>1388857
>This stupid "if you go ill leavv you you motherfucker" attitude is ungrateful and if you let force your decision she will probably to do it down the road as well.

The girlfriend wouldn't be able to go with him unless they got married.
>>
>>1388864
I have about 10k in stocks, 25k in housing and 85k liquid. If I went to Saudi I would bank around 50k minimum, which would enable for me to buy a house mortgage free upon my return in the north west of England.

You're right about the skills however they would pay for me to do a masters or an MBA whilst there (distance of course) which offsets this slightly.

My current role is mind dead and I literally have nothing to do all day. I earn about 45k a year GBP to turn up. I'm already losing skills and I honestly have zero motivation to do the tiny but of work that I actually have.
>>
>>1388867
depends on which gf that would be desu, but considering promiscuity can land you jail time with a couple of lashes, I don't see why.

OP should go into more detail tho.

>>1388873
doesn't matter, if she can't hold out for 18 months on her own, I'd consider her bad goods. But as I said, OP should go into more detail as to how that convo went down.
>>
File: +9292829.png (212 KB, 586x487) Image search: [Google]
+9292829.png
212 KB, 586x487
>>1388841
>Future job application
>Hmm........this fuckin guy worked in Saudi Arabia......
>Files job application under "to deliver to NSA"
>>
>>1388867
I honestly would. I am all about experiences and self fulfilment and betterment but she just wants to settle down and have a house, dog, marriage etc. It's not bad on her part, she just isn't career or money driven at all.
>>
>secure base

What kind of base? And secured by who?

Is their a major Westend military presence? If not I wouldn't go the Saudis are scum. If it's an American base it's pretty safe.

My old man is a mil contractor and spends tons of time over there.

It's a real hell hole and you don't want to rely on the Saudi government for protection. You need protection from the Saudi government
>>
>>1388889
US guarded with UK troops stationed also. Armed Saudis of any description aren't permitted anywhere close. Saudi nationals are notoriously unreliable workers so it is full of westerners.
>>
>gf of 6 years
>doesn't support your career decisions
>gives you an ultimatum

leave her senpai, you can't give her that kind of power
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.